www.themarysue.com

Why Do We Have to Wait for Queer Rep That's Already Canon? | The Mary Sue

There are a lot of things that are subjective, but there is just one thing I am not able to get over when it comes to the 'Harley Quinn' show: the lack of Harley and Ivy.

Without getting too deep into spoilers (you can check my review for more explicitly spoiler-y thoughts), in the first season of Harley Quinn, the two are painted as "best friends" who live together, and Ivy ends up dating (sigh) Kite Man

Note, I'm actually avoiding spoilers because I don't like being spoiled, so I'm not going to do any further reading on this matter.

Last edited:
Booo.

It would be nice if they'd stop being wishy washy about this stuff.

We might actually start to have to brace for the fact that we've already hit a high water of queer representation, and companies will start stripping it out where it does exist to expand their markets. They'll expand queerbaiting as a form of wokewashing, but that's it.

Can't annoy the PRC, can't annoy the Evangelicals, can't annoy any potential money source.

Expect queerbaiting and the end of representation to rule the day.

To make an argument for the devil :

This is from 1977. The Penguin has always had this kind of nose.
He's also always been rich and corrupt.
This rich decadence ties into the moneybag gifts.
Now, this could just mean that the stereotypes were present from the beginning, but I can't find anything definitive about that...

Last edited:
I never saw that specific movie.

Edit :

That said, the image does contain some errors, and some lack of context.
1) That's not Penguin's wife in the image, it's his sister
2) That's not Penguin's son in the image, it's his nephew
3) Those are not bags of money in the image, they're chocolate coins. (the party is set in the Gotham Mint).

Last edited:
P
I never saw that specific movie.
he's played by Danny DeVito, and was born to a rich family who tossed him in the river to die as a baby because he was deformed (flipper hands), and crazy, raised as a circus freak (aquatic bird boy) when he was found, and came back to Gotham for revenge on his family and everyone who reminded him of them.

Neat info.

Anyway, back on topic in the present. The Penguin as a character has an issue that he resembles some anti-semetic stereotypes (specifically the long nose and being a corrupt, rich villain). Combining that with making him Jewish (or at least related to practicing Jewish family members) creates some unfortunate implications. Aside from that however, the episode doesn't focus all that much on the Jewish aspects? It makes more jokes about the Penguin trying to force his dreams of crimelordship onto his nephew, and Harley making a fool of herself by crashing a children's party.

Last edited:
In a show named after a Jewish character originally designed specifically after a specific real Jewish person of all things too.

What ya'll want to bet they'll completely forget about that bit in writing this show?

Kite Man? Kite Man. They decide toss out the potential of a lesbian couple in their show by hooking up Poison Ivy with a supervillain dude, and their choice is fucking Kite Man?

What?

Kite Man? Kite Man. They decide toss out the potential of a lesbian couple in their show by hooking up Poison Ivy with a supervillain dude, and their choice is fucking Kite Man?

What?

Well, that and one of his first "moves" on Ivy is to jump into her bed undressed while she was searching for an antidote assuming she wanted to fuck him. Poison Ivy of all people, hell any supervillainess and even some heroines would have beaten him to an inch of his life right there.

And come episode 3, she´s clearly infatuated by him to the point of using the classic "Oh, that idiot, didhespokeofme?" line.

Well, that and one of his first "moves" on Ivy is to jump into her bed undressed while she was searching for an antidote assuming she wanted to fuck him. Poison Ivy of all people, hell any supervillainess and even some heroines would have beaten him to an inch of his life right there.

Oh.

So who's the lead writers on this? Let me check. Okay, Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacher, and Dean Lorey. Cool, more names for my Nixon list.

And come episode 3, she´s clearly infatuated by him to the point of using the classic "Oh, that idiot, didhespokeofme?" line.
They could have at least done a nature themed villain of some sort, like Floronic Man, or another tragic transformed villain like Clayface (who would of course be safe around her poisons), someone she'd have SOME sort of connection with.

Yikes! Apparently making fun of Jews is edgy and cool now...

ho-leee shit that's bad...

What?
The only way I could actually see it working is if it's some scheme by Poison Ivy to get Harley to realize just what her being with the Joker looked like to other people/make her jealous or something.

Instead...

This series has fallen from something that may have been interesting to watch to hot garbage in an almost impressively short amount of time.

ho-leee shit that's bad...

The only way I could actually see it working is if it's some scheme by Poison Ivy to get Harley to realize just what her being with the Joker looked like to other people/make her jealous or something.

Instead...

This series has fallen from something that may have been interesting to watch to hot garbage in an almost impressively short amount of time.

At least Frank gives me a few laughts. And Ivy's attitude to Kiteman aside, I like her snaky persona.

Yikes! Apparently making fun of Jews is edgy and cool now...

oh god i made the mistake of opening that thread

there are so many people there insisting that those are jokes about him being a supervillain and not anti-semitic at all I feel the cells in my bloodstream turning cancerous.

Back