Is....is this one of those "debate conceded" kind of stuff that people in serious discussions usually frown at?

I really, really don't want to see whatever tops Redo of Healer.

And yes, the last couple seasons of anime have made me reconsider how harsh I've treated goblin slayer when shit like that is airing.

You know how like The Count of Monte Cristo is the greatest story of revenge ever made? Redo of Healer is like the complete opposite.

Yeah, we are all disgusted by the protagonist, the story, the protagonist, the side characters, the protagonist, the obfuscating asspulls and, finally, the protagonist...but have you seen it's story structure? It's horrendous. The dude gets his revenge within the first few episodes and then...simply keeps going because why the fuck not.:jackiechan:

Last edited:
I really, really don't want to see whatever tops Redo of Healer.

And yes, the last couple seasons of anime have made me reconsider how harsh I've treated goblin slayer when shit like that is airing.

Times like these I wish the whole Syosetsu system undergoes a hard reset and deciding what can be adapted and what couldn't.

There was an arc in deadtube where failed author turned murderer arc's backstory involved hoping to make it big getting an LN he submitted for publishing and mentioned how the people care more about the illustrator than the author.

I mean that is why the author picked Shiokonbu for the work, it fits the kind of tone that he is trying to write and the artist is extremely popular among doujin circles. Imagine if we have an amateur scene of light novels published at chapter with artists like Sakimichan or some popular adult artist on patreon who made their bread off drawing adult content of popular cartoons? That is the LN scene for you.

Is....is this one of those "debate conceded" kind of stuff that people in serious discussions usually frown at?

You know how like The Count of Monte Cristo is the greatest story of revenge ever made? Redo of Healer is like the complete opposite.

Yeah, we are all disgusted by the protagonist, the story, the protagonist, the side characters, the protagonist, the obfuscating asspulls and, finally, the protagonist...but have you seen it's story structure? It's horrendous. The dude gets his revenge within the first few episodes and then...simply keeps going because why the fuck not.:jackiechan:
I went over to TVTropes and checked the descriptions of Shield Hero and Redo Healer and /WIll Smith Awww hellla nahhhhh!

I can see the point of such animes. The classic I-Protag gets pulled to another world. "You are the destined hero, no you don't have a choice, you can't return until Overlord is defeated. Here is a magic sword, an attractive sidekick and go get them!" Cue shenanigans and maybe the Protag stays or goes home with his now beloved sidekick(Tsundere prefered but optional) . Getting yanked into a quest that you didn't ask for but eventually getting Stockholmed into is is old hat, so having something like the protag is actually working for the evil empire and WHOOPS! He ends up being hated and must make amends by stomping the Empire and fixing things can make good TV.
The point with SH/RH gets buried under pure meanness. 'Better treat your heroes right!' vanishes under the horribleness and I don't care anymore*click*

I prefer sending mercs made up of people no one likes or cares about to their demise battle Brothers style instead.

Yet they still let them take that job.
Everything i have heard about the "guild" makes it sound like a bogstandard adventurers guild, by which i mean not a guild at all, but a temp agency.

I am not sure what is it that you think Guilds are supposed to do. Historically, they were regulatory bodies that governed certain trades. As in, they weren't educational institutions and it's never been their job to make sure shmucks succeed.

I am not sure what is it that you think Guilds are supposed to do. Historically, they were regulatory bodies that governed certain trades. As in, they weren't educational institutions and it's never been their job to make sure shmucks succeed.

this isnt true like at all. guilds quite famously included apprenticeships to train people. like... you're fully just talking shite here to justify the dumbass worldbuilding of this dumbass anime.

They were also made of the people working that specific trade, who would then teach the next generation of tradespeople, and make fucking sure nobody else practiced that trade, and also looked after its members (or their next of kin) when they got into trouble.

Sending unprepared, poorly trained and under equipped idiots (half of who are women) to fight the evil rape monsters, is not just a waste of resources, but criminally negligent as you are providing them with food, weapons, and the aforementioned women.

Historically, they were regulatory bodies that governed certain trades. As in, they weren't educational institutions and it's never been their job to make sure shmucks succeed.

It's way beyond "make sure schmucks succeed" and into "actively allow them to kill themselves through their own goddamn foolishness". The list of things a governing body does is almost literally "First, do not allow people who are part of this body to be murdered at random by outsiders." Second, the majority of guilds actually have strong training systems, even if personalized because of individual members, because "Second, perpetuate the governing body and its power, increase it if possible."

They're not even governing.

Times like these is why a Battle Brothers type mercenary works better because there is no shortage of desperate/vengeful/greedy men who can be pointed at a goblin nest or animal problem in a trade that garners no respect from people.

Last edited:
The GUILDS didn't provide apprenticeships. Rather, apprentices were included in the guilds.

Hello, legal historian here. As in, I wrote my master's thesis on legal history. Not specifically on medieval guilds, but hey, you pick up a lot of stuff doing massive amounts of reading on the history of law.

Guilds absolutely provided apprenticeships to people. In fact, many guilds required their masters to train apprentices in order to maintain their status as, well, masters. Additionally, many guilds required their masters to take apprentices in order to train replacements to masters and members that had died, to keep funds rolling in for the pension funds of their widows and orphans, and they also had orders to provide services to the cities they lived in. Additionally, masters training apprentices was one of the classic ways in which guildmasters expanded their own network of influence, so they were naturally incentivized to train apprentices. A guild that failed to attract new members and failed to train them would quickly cease to be a guild at all or had its incompetent leadership replaced by others. That doesn't necessarily mean that guilds couldn't be selective about who they apprenticed, because so many medieval people would fight over the chance to have their child apprenticed to a guild. But guilds absolutely required that their guild members trained apprentices.

The ideas of "guilds as regulatory bodies" is only one aspect of their multi-faceted role in society. They were societies of their own, with their own laws and rules. It's important to recognize that video game and fantasy "guilds" have little to nothing in common with the historical reality, but also not to confuse them with a simple regulatory agency that modern people would be familiar with.

Last edited:
Back