Gate - Thus First Recon Fought There!

You lost me here. I didn't get any romance vibes at all from Itami and Lelei, even from reading the manga. What? A teenage girl can't hang around a grown man anymore?
Well obviously they can, but some of the characters remark on it in universe, which is fucking weird as all hell.

Itami doesn't like it one bit and makes that fact very clear. After they kill the dragon, the only reason she still does it is out of habit, possibly from traces of her condition lingering. PTSD doesn't straight up evaporate into thin air you know.
Granted, but it doesn't change that their relationship is still presented in terms of romance (if not always in story, then certainly to the reader).

I thought that was introduced as a character quirk, not a main premise.

This guy. :lol

But in all seriousness, you have a really good point here:
Actually, her only purpose is to basically give Itami an excuse to deal with the Ancient Fire Dragon. I get the feel she's only kept around and brought up because, well, you already have a character, you're just gonna throw it away?
I just wish, that, like everything else in Gate, was executed better. Fuck me for wanting the author try when penning his million-dollar franchise, right? I'm sorry if I sound snippy, Gate just gets under my skin. Also Yao's armor jesus fucking christ I mean REALLY??

In terms of relevance to this fic however, the general discussion has pointed me to believe that such shitty elements won't just be distant from First Recon... they'll be in another goddamn galaxy.

I am assured of this.

I just wish, that, like everything else in Gate, was executed better. Fuck me for wanting the author try when penning his million-dollar franchise, right?
Actually it started as a web novel he was doing for shits and giggles. He had absolutely no idea that it was going to blow up like that. Not all of us are like, say, Sasahara when writing stuff on the internet for fun.

Actually it started as a web novel he was doing for shits and giggles. He had absolutely no idea that it was going to blow up like that. Not all of us are like, say, Sasahara when writing stuff on the internet for fun.
Yeah, it was a web novel he was writing for shits and giggles. It got unexpectedly popular, so alphapolis picked it up and published it, having the author rewrite the ending and remove some of the more politically poisonous material. And it seems to have worked, going off of the franchise it seems to have spawned...

Keep in mind, this is 2003 and the 2004 election is coming up. It's entirely possible (though realistically unlikely) that Bush might not actually be around to deal with the Gate forces after a certain point, depending on how the author takes it. Such are the joys of historical fiction and fanfiction, I suppose. Haha... Honestly, I'd rather @dryskim just dryly skim over the politics, primarily because of just how polarizing they can be. I'd rather not have everyone breaking out into a Conservative vs Liberal discussion in what should be a debate of modern military force vs pseudo Romans. I came for the latter, not the former! :)

Yet even saying that, I'm torn. I really want to see people react to the idea of genuine extradimensional pagan gods being a thing. The two-way culture shock is tantalizing to me... so many things I want from this, yet I must know that to ask for all of them at once would only divide the author's attention too many different ways... such a dilemma...
From a couple pages back, but absolutely agreed.

Even if there is an harem, I don't see too much harem shenanigans in here. The only one girl he is mildly attracted is Rory, and even the protagonist himself considers that creepy.

Both Lelei and Tuka are more parental relations, or as a big brother than anything sexual at all ...

Pina only sees him as a way to evade another stupid war that will destroy her empire.

Yao was given to him because her race are a bunch of fool idiots that gave their only survivor hero(ine) because "he helped"

And Itami has said to her several times that if she only sees herself as a slave she can get the hell out ASAP ...

Frankly the harem shenanigans are not nearly as bad as the political strawmanship that appears from time to time.

Although lets be serious, the other part of the cross over makes my entire post ( and the entire semi-derail ) completely irrelevant. There is going to be explosions! and COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS ORDERS!!1! ( with all the caps )

I will also add that the protagonist would feel almost like home in the 1st recon, being lazy and trying to ignore stupid orders while making stupid commentaries and enjoying the view.

Don't worry. If there aren't enough harem shenanigans present to creep you out rest assured that the author makes up for it by having the 900+ year old lolita have orgasms every time people die. :sour::facepalm:
Wait, that's legit from the source material? I thought that was just added to a fanfic I was reading for titillation and to emphasize how badass the marine characters were?

Wait, that's legit from the source material? I thought that was just added to a fanfic I was reading for titillation and to emphasize how badass the marine characters were?
It's because she is literally the avatar of the good of death, destruction, war, and murder. Any person who dies has their soul pass through her body which has a stimulating effect.

It's because she is literally the avatar of the good of death, destruction, war, and murder. Any person who dies has their soul pass through her body which has a stimulating effect.
Meanwhile in every non-shitty fantasy story with an avatar of death:

Avatar of Death: Huh, some people just died. Oh well back to killing things or guiding souls to the afterlife or whatever.

I thought it was only those who die violently in her vicinity pass through her like that, and that the pleasurable side effect is just her being crazy.

I thought it was only those who die violently in her vicinity pass through her like that, and that the pleasurable side effect is just her being crazy.
You're right on the first point but Rory isn't just crazy.

It's not so bad that she ****** herself every time she murderizes someone. She seems to only get pumped up with blood lust (emphasis on the lust) when a big fight's going down and a lot people are biting it all over the place. Even then, if she's actually fighting and killing, it doesn't seem to affect her, or at least not enough to harm her combat performance. From the way she acted during the defense against the brigand army when she was told to sit out most of the battle, it seems to be mainly a way to drive Rory to get stuck in if there's a big fight.

So yeah, it's mainly Rory's god Emroy being a filthy pervert.

And considering the Marines of 1st​ Recon are actual people who are still around, does this count as an SI for them, too?
Generation Kill is dramatized television show based on book of a real person about real events.
Not self insertion but putting highly dramatized versions of real people into a fictional setting.
I don't even actually know the word for it.

Last edited:
Generation Kill is dramatized television show based on book of a real person about real events.
Not self insertion but putting dramatized versions of real people into a fictional setting.
I don't even actually know the word for it.
Technically, it's either historical fiction (considering it's been a few years since 9/11 and the early days of the Afghan War), a real person fiction (since if they aren't KIA by now, the Marines are probably still alive), or a Gen Kill/Gate crossover fanfic. I haven't seen Generation Kill, but since it's a dramatization of a real event, the OP's probably writing a dramatization of a dramatization using the world of Gate as a framework.

You may now begin the Inception jokes. :p

In any case, the line's pretty blurry of what this story can be called. Personally, just call it a crossover fanfic based very loosely on real events and people and call it a day.

Last edited:
Back