Game of Thrones Fan Fic Rec and Idea Thread. All Men/Canon Must Die

Teen Spirit

Lost in Ever After
Pronouns
He/Him
Don't think we have a thread for this yet.

Anyways, post your fic ideas and or recommendations here.

Had an idea, probably not a good one, for a fic where Robb Stark and Grey Wind wake up after the Red Wedding, on Dragonstone, fully healed and heads in their proper place. To make matters complicated, it's Dragonstone Three hundred years after the events of Canon. Much of Robb's time has fallen into Myth, the Targaryens once again rule the Seven Kingdoms, Jon Snow and Bran Stark are figures of legend along the lines of Lann the Clever and Bran the Builder, Unfortunately there are no surviving Starks (besides Robb now) and the Boltons have ruled the North for Centuries.

Of course in all likelyhood events in Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring are going to be so huge that 300 years from now Westeros is going to look nothing like it does now politically and culturally, might not even have the long seasons since that's apparently caused by magic.

So, had an idea.

Make Joffrey likeable.

And not in the "Poof" he's not Joffrey anymore, just a pod-person pretending he's Joffrey. I mean actual character development from him being the king and a horrible person, to a random penniless boy and actually changing.

Not sure on the details, but it would be fun to write.

Other one:

A kid in King Joffrey's court.

Not sure if I even want to touch the idea after the name. That movie sucked.

Also posted in Crazy Crossover Concepts:

Margaery Tyrell was a girl who liked beautiful things. She did not consider there to be any shame in that, most people were fascinated by beautiful things, whether they be art, jewels, women… Tastes differed of course, but they fact remained that most people enjoyed gazing upon things that they considered aesthetically pleasing.

To that end she occasionally enjoyed viewing the various items on display in Highgarden.

She wasn't a fool, her grandmother had made sure of that, she knew the history of her own house. That many quietly questioned the legitimacy of House Tyrell as the Lords Paramount of The Reach, especially when they had been elevated above the Florents, who had a blood link to old House Gardner. Numerous Lord Tyrells had chased wealth, treasure and renown, in order to prove that they and theirs were worthy of being counted amongst the great houses.

Margaery's favourite of all House Tyrell's collected treasure lay in the vault, which was where she stood now. It was not in there because it was believed to be particularly valuable, but because it none thought it to be beautiful. Margaery disagreed.

It was a gauntlet; a wicked looking thing that was almost black, with fingers that tapered and stretched so that they end in claws. There was a round, amber jewel set in the back of the hand that she sometimes fancied looked a bit like an eye. This wasn't an item that she would have thought herself enjoying, and certainly not something suitable for a young, noble lady to obsess over. Yet, she thought there was an elegance and a finesse in amongst the sharp edges, a hidden beauty that defied convention. The flickering light from it lantern gave it an almost otherworldly appearance.

She wasn't quite sure what drew her to it, but a times, she felt like it was singing to her; a foolish, childish notion, not least because she could hear no sound coming from it. Sometimes when she was on the verge of sleep, she would think that this was because she wasn't listening to it with her ears but with her soul.

It was such a thought that had compelled her to come down here in the middle of the night.

Caught by a sudden whim, Margaery cast her gaze about the room to make sure she wasn't being watched and that the door was closed; then she reached out and touched it. First she ran a single dainty finger along the edge, feeling the cool metal beneath her fingertip. Suddenly overcome by a sense of mischief she set her lantern down on the ground, lifted the gauntlet from where it lay and placed it over her right hand.

She had just a moment to feel a strange mixture of surprise and satisfaction over the fact that it fit perfectly, almost like it had been made for her.

Then the burning began.

It grew gradually in her hand, and Margaery immediately tried to pull the gauntlet off but it was no use, it wouldn't budge. The sensation spread up her arm, across her chest and through the rest of her. The heat kept growing until it felt like her whole body was aflame. Clutching desperately at her hand she fell to her knees; she tried to scream but it caught in her throat, which was suddenly hoarse. Then the darkness claimed her…

Eventually the darkness began to recede. At first she wondered where she was, she felt like she was waking from some sort of nightmare. She heard someone groan and it took a moment to realise that it had come from her. She felt a cool breeze against her skin and was puzzled for a moment, before realising that she was laying on something that cold, hard and uncomfortable, so she couldn't be in her bed.

She prised her eyes open and after her vision adjusted, she found herself staring up at a rose quartz ceiling that was being lit by a flickering light.

With some effort she was able to force herself to sit up. She clutched at her stomach and froze when her hand came in to contact with bare skin. She looked down at herself and found that her clothes were in rags. Panic began to rise inside her, but she forced herself to push it back down.

Quickly she cast her gaze over to her right hand, only to find that the gauntlet was gone. In its place was a dark, metal bracelet, with a single amber jewel set in it.

A storm of questions whirled through her head, too many for her to deal with right now, so she elected not to for now. She did as her grandmother taught he, forced down the panic and tried to focus on the practicalities.

If anyone caught her in this state there would be questions, questions she would find difficult to answer. Therefore, she needed to get back to her room without anyone seeing her.

Quickly she struggled to her feet, clutched the tattered remnants of her nightclothes to her and lifted her lantern from the floor.

She peeked her heard out of the door and found the guard was still a sleep. She crept out, closed and locked the door.

Sucking in a deep breath, she set her lantern on the ground and crept over towards the guard. She reached down to the keyring on the guard's belt and slowly, carefully attempt to reattach the key. Finding it difficult with one hand she was forced to release her grip on her tattered garments in order to use both. Her heart almost stopped when the guard grunted in his sleep and when her task was complete she padded quickly across the room in her bare feet, extinguished her lantern and fled for her room.

GoT x WitchBlade

Other one:

A kid in King Joffrey's court.

Not sure if I even want to touch the idea after the name. That movie sucked.
Well Joffery certainly would like guns. Of course five minutes with Joffery would probably convice most people that the best way to demonstrate the power of a Gun to the Royal Court would be by using Joffery's face for target practice.

Anyone done a GoT and HTTYD crossover?

Maybe an ISOT of Berk and the surrounding islands to the North/West of the Iron Isles would work.

An utterly random thought that came to mind the other night: Tyrion knows the rudimentary basics of Drunken Boxing. And on the day of his Trial by Combat, he faces Gregor Clegane utterly smashed. As Gregor tries to kill him, Tyrion becomes a melee fighting savant due to the combination of drups Varys provided him earlier that day and the incredible amounts of Arbor Gold he had consumed along with them.

Gregor finds himself defeated, trying, and failing, to get back up from a broken back as Tyrion relieves himself on the Mountain, heading to Tywin's seat to grab his bottle of red and chugging it down before passing out.

Thoughts?

I find myself weeping at the lack of Ned-Cersei stories. For some reason this pairing speaks to me more so then the canon ones, I enjoy how the North tempers Cersei's instability, removes the incest, shows a different perspective of Catelyn and all the other minor details that make the stories I've read just seem so "Right".

Anyone know any others?

An utterly random thought that came to mind the other night: Tyrion knows the rudimentary basics of Drunken Boxing. And on the day of his Trial by Combat, he faces Gregor Clegane utterly smashed. As Gregor tries to kill him, Tyrion becomes a melee fighting savant due to the combination of drups Varys provided him earlier that day and the incredible amounts of Arbor Gold he had consumed along with them.

Gregor finds himself defeated, trying, and failing, to get back up from a broken back as Tyrion relieves himself on the Mountain, heading to Tywin's seat to grab his bottle of red and chugging it down before passing out.

Thoughts?
Well the Trial by Combat is suppose to let the gods show who is innocent or guilty and that would certainly prove Tyrion is innocent. Tywin would drink himself into a coma as a result.

Well the Trial by Combat is suppose to let the gods show who is innocent or guilty and that would certainly prove Tyrion is innocent. Tywin would drink himself into a coma as a result.
Everyone gets drunk after that, and Tyrion wakes up to find that he is (literally) the only one left standing with no memory what he had done.

"Well, this must first time I've drunk everyone in King's Landing under the table."

Thoughts?
This you must write though it probably makes more sense for him to just have a natural talent for it. Unless a wandering immortal taught it to him.

Last edited:
So yeah... a question dawned on me awhile ago that had me wondering "Why on earth did Aerys want to kill Robert before the start of the Rebellion?" It makes no sense why he would want to kill his cousin's son. It made no sense for him to want to kill Robert no matter how crazy he was, Ned yes, but not Robert. So I looked it up and was led to this theory: http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/

To summarize it after the War of the Ninepenny Kings (where teh lords of the following Houses all fought side by side with one another) Houses Arryn, Baratheon, Lannister, Stark and Tully were allying themselves through marriage (reserved for making peace or building alliances) in order to influence House Targaryen and weaken the Iron Throne. This was basically done by having Elbert the heir of House Arryn be fostered in Winterfell (thus befriending Brandon Stark and tying the Vale and the North), Ned and Robert would be fostered in the Eyrie (thus building ties between the North, the Vale and the Stormlands). Robert would be betrothed to Lyanna (tying the North and the Stormlands). Brandon is betrothed to Catelyn while Lysa would have been betrothed to Jaime (tying the Riverlands to the Westerlands and the North). This would have created a solid alliance that tied all 5 regions.

Internally I'm pretty sure that Cersei would have been made to marry Elbert, as heir to House Arryn, after Aerys rejected Tywin (tying the Westerlands and the Vale). I also suspect that Jon Arryn would have then had his nieces married to Ned, Stannis and/or Edmure to fully cement the Alliance (tying the Vale to North, the Stormlands and/or the Riverlands). The theory states that House Tyrell was excluded because they had no children of the right age but I realized this isn't exactly true. Hoster tied to get Brynden to marry Bethany Redwyne and tie House Redwyne to House Tully. House Tyrell would then have been tied to them through Olenna (Redwyne) Tyrell.

All of this was thrown to hell though by the series of events we all know too well.

What would House Targaryen do when faced down by 6 of the 9 regions with no dragons? The Iron Isles have declared neutrality and Dorne would only send token support if any. House Targaryen's fall could not be stopped.

I find myself weeping at the lack of Ned-Cersei stories. For some reason this pairing speaks to me more so then the canon ones, I enjoy how the North tempers Cersei's instability, removes the incest, shows a different perspective of Catelyn and all the other minor details that make the stories I've read just seem so "Right".

Anyone know any others?
Are you talking about Fool's Gold?

So, had an idea.

Make Joffrey likeable.

And not in the "Poof" he's not Joffrey anymore, just a pod-person pretending he's Joffrey. I mean actual character development from him being the king and a horrible person, to a random penniless boy and actually changing.

Not sure on the details, but it would be fun to write.
I actually had plot bunnies like this for both Joff and Viserys (I only started the Viserys one). For Joff the butterfly was Jon Arryn taking a greater interest in his education instead of abandoning him to the Hound (though I never did figure out how to make Cersei accept it). He's still...not quite right, but he's also not insane.

I thought it would be pretty interesting to do a sensible Joff/Viserys though, not a likable one. Though that applies more to the latter than the former, because Viserys is so dumb that making him not-so-dumb alone is already an interesting diversion. Besides, Viserys' angst is actually compelling. He's not just a spoiled sociopath.

Last edited:
Visaerys only went crazy because he sold his mother's crown. It was the final realization for him that he was fighting a hopeless battle to get his throne. If he got some true and real support from his so called "backers" this wouldn't have happened.

Joffery is just an idiotic sociopath with no redeeming value.

Likeable Viserys is easier than likeable Joffrey.

All you have to do is change enough so that he never cracks under the pressure. For example, perhaps Willem Darry managed to survive longer than in canon, meaning that he had time to prepare Viserys. Or perhaps, Doran sent someone to lend a hand, which shouldn't be that difficult considering the influence that he is supposed to have in the Free Cities.

Shooting for a classical hero is perhaps setting the target too high, but a Byronic hero is possible and even plausible.

So yeah... a question dawned on me awhile ago that had me wondering "Why on earth did Aerys want to kill Robert before the start of the Rebellion?" It makes no sense why he would want to kill his cousin's son. It made no sense for him to want to kill Robert no matter how crazy he was, Ned yes, but not Robert. So I looked it up and was led to this theory: http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/

I absolutely adore that blog. I enjoy seeing, not plotholes I guess, but all the implications behind Asoiaf's worldbuilding.

An idea I like to believe, despite being contradicted by canon, is that Dorne, the North, the Iron Isles and the islands of the Crownland are more different from mainland Westeros then what is depicted in the show.

By this I mean in the North almost all of the smallfolk if not the vast majority speak the Old Tongue with only those few and far between being able to speak the Common tongue of Westeros. Nobles would be able to speak the Common tongue (especially House Stark) because it would be expected of them for when they need to communicate with the other regions. The only place that this would be different would be in the lands around White Harbour as House Manderly forces its influence on the people, mainly in the city proper and less so in the countryside the further out you go. So that while the Andals conquered most of the continent the North is very much its own cultural entity in language, religion and culture in behaviours, values and customs.

The same would be true for Dorne but less pronounced as while the North started with the Old Tongue and is being slowly converted or resisting conversion to the culture of the Andals Dorne would be a balance of the Common tongue in the west and the Rhoynar in the east. One of the main reasons for this is that the Rhoynar only came to Westeros in the last thousand years, since then Dorne has increased trade and travel with mainland Westeros.

The Iron Islands would speak the Old Tongue, the Common Tongue or some weird amalgamation of the two depending on the particular island and where on the island you're located.

The islands of the Crownland would speak their dialect of High Valyrian as they would have been conquered by Valyria and ruled over by the Prince of Dragonstone. There nature as islands would have cut them off from mainland Westeros and ensured their conversion.

This is just a thought I've recently thought of to better highlight the differences in Westeros that help keep each of them different and unique.

Anyone else following Sean Bean saves Westeros ?
It's a sort of SI with said actor popping up in the North shortly after the shooting of GoT's first season and Sean playing merry hell with canon. My only minor problem with it is that Sean's got a bit too much knowledge of the setting.

Anyone else following Sean Bean saves Westeros ?
It's a sort of SI with said actor popping up in the North shortly after the shooting of GoT's first season and Sean playing merry hell with canon. My only minor problem with it is that Sean's got a bit too much knowledge of the setting.

I read a little but my impression was that Sean Bean was too competent at being Ned Stark, which blew my suspension of disbelief right out of the water.

Back