Teen Angst
You are ignoring content by this member.

Aubrey turned to Danforth as the human woman sipped her drink. The Mr. Handy, obviously, wasn't able to do anything of the sort. "I don't know, she fantasizes about redemption sometimes. It's...It's different. She wants to be better, but you can be better and not be redeemed, you know? And I believe she can be redeemed. There probably isn't that much difference between that kind of retirement and that kind of redemption, but yeah. I just feel as though part of me wants to reassure her that she can be better, that she can just stop being evil and try to be good and that'll be enough, but...I think about what Roxie went through. My owners at least had the tiny kindness to leave me my hatred, Roxie didn't even get that.

"I know she doesn't see me as the second coming of Roxie, but...I don't know. We're all sinners, but...I don't think it just requires accepting Jesus to get you into Heaven, but...Maybe she can become someone who's given more to the world than she's taken from it? How do you deal with trying to help support a literal jackbooted fascist? Honestly, even if she stays a torturing slaver, I...I still would want to be with her. I'd be ashamed, and if she tried those tactics on me I'd kill her, but...She told me when we first met that she wanted to settle down with a wife and a household of slaves, and...Dear God, Danforth, I would have let it happen if it meant being around her. She's...genuine, and honest, and...kind, when she wants to be, and she isn't afraid of anything." Aubrey sighed and took a long drink of her firewater-in-a-cup.

She exhaled.

She felt alone in a bar full of people.

"I realize that that would be morally unacceptable, and I'd like to think I'd dump her if she enslaved someone, but she carries herself like a goddess. Every instinct in my brain is just to bow down. If she becomes a different person, I want her to still be proud of herself, still be confident and cocky and powerful. I could live with her if she lost that, definitely, but..." Aubrey sighed. "...And she really has had a hard life. She could have avoided politics, but...The Old World, the Enclave, they weren't set up to make her a functioning human being, and neither was her brain. She has a personality disorder. It means she gets endorphins, she enjoys it, when she hurts people.

"Oh, and she has this way of looking at you. It's really relaxed, but you can see it in her eyes. She's always in control. I know, rationally, that her becoming better probably will make her different but I don't think I could forgive myself if I didn't leave her better than I found her." Aubrey finished her glass.

It was a cold room, and Aubrey thought of burned lips.

"Mom, this is bullshit!" A 14 year old Jackie whined, as she procrastinated doing her homework. "It's unfair. Homework's just busywork given so that teachers think we're learning things. I don't need to learn shit about math, I'll never use it," Jackie said.

Raven (as they would later be properly referred to as) laughed. "That's just because you're a dummy!" they giggled. "I got an A on my math homework."

"Shut up, it's easy when you're a goddamn seven year old," Jackie muttered.

Dave, recently in possession of his own Corvega sedan, looked up from his copy of Slaughterhouse-Five. "I'm trying to read."

"Yeah, Dave, read your commie book," Jackie said.

"It's not a—Nevermind. Why do I bother?" Dave sighed.

"Raven, don't call your sister a dummy. Jackie, don't use swear words. David, temper," Sara Stanton said, in the middle of washing some dishes in the sink by hand. She wore rubber gloves. Jackie, far later, would also wear rubber gloves.

"Swearing doesn't make you sound adult, Jackie. Nobody's going to take a fourteen year old seriously, even if she calls things 'bullshit'," Dave chided.

"Yeah, Jackie, stop swearing. Also, stop throwing my stuffies in the fireplace!" Raven said.

"You're seven years old, why do you still have stuffed animals?" Jackie asked.

"They're my friends," Raven said, defensively. "I already got my homework done, I dunno why you're so testy."

"They're not friends, they're just toys," Jackie said. "And it's funny to see you cry."

Dave rolled his eyes. "Well, better that than torturing squirrels," he said. He tried to get back to his book.

"Maybe I should try that," Jackie said, with a wicked smile on her face. Sara looked as though she was going to faint. "Kidding, kidding!" Jackie said. "Maybe," she whispered under her breath.

"Jacqueline Aranea Stanton, I thought we talked about throwing Raven's toys into the fireplace."

"Yeah, we talked about how great it was," Jackie snickered.

"You are such a little hellion sometimes. If you start torturing small animals, you're grounded for a month. No holotape games. No comic books. Nothing," Sara hissed.

"Fine! You're such a goddamn tyrant anyway!" Jackie said, clearly not knowing what was good for her. "You'll see, I'm gonna go to New York City and I'll be a famous actress, and then you'll all never get to go to my motherfucking mansion."

Sara walked up to Jackie, grabbed her by the collar of her blouse, and lifted her up. "You will behave yourself, missy. Now," Sara said. Electric eyes burned into the teenager's.

Jackie's eyes widened. "Yes, Mom..."

Raven laughed and Sara turned to them. "You two, not a word. These disrespectful attitudes are completely unwarranted. What did God say about parents?"

"Honor yer mother an' father?" Raven said.

"Exactly," Sara hissed.

Dave looked over at his mom. "Hey, I was wondering if I could invite John, Mark, Emily, Cherry, and Ross over to play some Grognak RPG tomorrow. That good?"

"...Sure, just make sure your homework's done first," Sara said with a sigh.

"I do it in study hall, don't worry," Dave said with an easy smile. Jackie stared at him, thinking lots of very nasty things involving the words "brownnoser" "ass-kisser", and "suckup". There was no way she'd ever become such a little shit, she thought. Rules were meant to be broken, right?

"Mom, can we buy a new Toasty? Jackie burned my old Toasty," Raven said.

"...The stuffed animal? Oh, honey, definitely. Jackie, you're lucky you served your sentence for that, because that was atrocious," Sara said.

Jackie rolled her eyes. "They're just collections of stuffing, fake fur, and beady glass eyes. I don't see what the problem is."

"They're Raven's toys," Sara said.

"Raven has way too much of an imagination," Jackie replied.

"Do you really wanna push it, Little Miss Prickly?" Sara asked.

"No, Mom," Jackie responded, quickly.

Dave got up. "Hey, Jackie, you done with homework?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You and I, we gotta have a talk, okay?"

"Jesus, what?" Jackie asked.

Dave sighed, walked over to Jackie, and took her hand, before pulling her in the direction of her room. He closed the door. Jackie's room was a mess of rock and roll posters and scattered clothes, along with a bottle of red wine hidden under the bed that both Dave and Jackie knew was there. Jackie had recently learned that when you didn't fit in, the best way to escape was to get blitzed.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Jackie hissed.

"Jackie, I know what's wrong with you."

"There's nothing wrong with me."

"I've been reading psych textbooks." He sat on her bed, motioning for her to sit next to him. "You've got this thing. It's called a sadistic personality disorder. It means you enjoy other people's pain."

"So, what's the problem? Everyone's like that."

"Jackie, they're not. You have a real issue, and you can't indulge it by setting Raven's toys on fire, or planning to torture small animals, or yelling at little kids at school, or putting dead pigeons in people's lockers, or spreading rumors that other girls are pregnant or sluts or whatever."

"How do you know about that?"

"We go to the same school. Jackie, you need an intervention. I've talked to Mom about this, and she knows a therapist. Her name's Dr. Okada. We need you to talk to her so you can figure out some kind of way to get these urges out safely, or ignore them, or something."

"Fuck you," the teenage Jackie said.

"This is serious, it's called Sadistic Personality Disorder and if you don't learn to cope with it you'll feel the repercussions of it your entire life. Do you want to be arrested, Jackie? This is how you get arrested. You start with toys, then making kids cry, then torturing squirrels, and eventually you're torturing people. Real, live people, with real dreams and hopes."

"I'd never torture a person, Dave, don't be stupid," Jackie hissed.

"I don't think you would. Not now. But eventually? Society doesn't work well with sadists, it doesn't accept them."

"Yeah, well, screw society," Jackie said.

"Jackie, I love you. Please, just talk to the doctor. There's some new stuff. Cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy..."

"You really know a lot about this stuff," Jackie said, suspicion in her tone.

"I've been worrying about you."

"You want to institutionalize me, is that it?" Jackie said.

"I want you to see a motherfucking therapist so you can function in society without being a vicious little bully!"

"I'm not a bully," Jackie said.

"Well, Mom's taking you to Dr. Ridley tomorrow."

"Bullshit!"

"Well, Jackie, it seems like you have a pretty clear-cut personality profile," the over-tired-looking woman in the swivel chair said to her. "Sadistic Personality Disorder, substance abuse issues, mild antisocial traits, no history of autism, no lack of empathy, nothing too complex. So, that's good. It's easier for both of us."

"Are you saying I'm a freak?" Jackie asked, her hands on her lap as she lay on the couch.

"Jackie, your psychological profile, frankly, is closest to CEOs and politicians, not serial killers."

"So maybe I should become one of those?"

"Good luck. A trans woman in politics? You'd be almost as screwed as I would be. My mom's Japanese but I still get backlash. That's not the point, though. Jackie, I just...I think we need to handle these dysfunctional sadistic behaviors, and then we should be fine."

"...You're kind of a shitty therapist." Jackie's eyes narrowed.

"I'm just blunt. It comes with the Asperger's syndrome," Dr. Okada said.

"Whatever. So how do I become normal? Don't say 'just don't hurt people', I can choose not to hurt people but hurting people feels so damn good all the time."

"Well, I think we need a two-pronged strategy here, Jackie. First, we need to deal with those urges, and the best way to do that is to question them as they pop up. Stop for a moment and think to yourself. Do you want to engage in destructive behavior that pushes away friends and hurts people who might come to like you? You need to develop critical thought patterns. Second, try finding something else that you enjoy, besides hurting people."

Jackie rolled her eyes. "I'd rather you just say I'm a psycho."

Dr. Okada put her hands together and exhaled. "Why's that?"

"Then I could just leave and brag about how I got diagnosed as a psycho."

Dr. Okada nodded. "Jackie, why do you enjoy hurting people?"

"It's fun and it makes me feel good."

"Why does it make you feel good?"

"I dunno, it just does."

"Well, there are four types of Sadistic Personality Disorder, and of the four, the one that best seems to fit you from what you've told me is tyrannical sadism. You like to hurt people because that means that you aren't being hurt by someone, that you're in control. Does that sound accurate?" Dr. Okada asked, her voice even. She ran a hand through a black ponytail.

"I dunno, maybe? What's the point of this?" Jackie asked.

"We can't fix what we don't understand."

"What's the point of fixing me? I'm fine. You said I had the personality of a CEO, right?"

"CEOs are often very dysfunctional people."

"Jesus, enough with this commie crap," Jackie said.

"That's not communism, that's just a statement of fact," Dr. Okada said.

"It's off-topic."

"You're right, it is. Is there anything you enjoy besides hurting people?"

"Girls."

"It seems like hurting people would make it harder to find a girl to be with," Dr. Okada commented.

"Look, I'm fourteen, am I even supposed to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? What do you want from me? If you 'fix' me, what happens? What do I get out of it?"

"Purely rationally? A much higher chance of success and respect in your chosen field, a much better reputation, a higher chance of scoring with women and a broader playing field to choose from. Plus, a much lower chance of institutionalization or incarceration," Dr. Okada said.

"...Oh, shit, that's pretty good."

"It is, isn't it? So, ready to get to work?"

"Hell yeah, teach me how to not be a psycho."

She lay on the bed of her hotel in Wooden Point, her burned skin pressing against the silk sheets. Truth be told, Jacqueline, a politician is a killer, and you should understand that your job may require hurting others. In some ways, it's part of the fun, it's a big game. A man, or woman, or transsexual needs to have a killer's instinct to succeed in politics, Senator Cartwright had said.

It was killer's instinct, not sadism. It was a feature, not a bug. The DC gay bars were crying out for powerful, evil women, and so were the halls of power.

Then, the war had come and she'd been inducted into the Enclave, and suddenly what was true in DC became a hundred times more true in Toronto. They didn't call it killer's instinct up North, they just called it sadism, but that was because it was a rare gift.

She was special.

"Wow, things have come full circle, huh," she mumbled, quietly. "Now it's back to sadism being a bad thing."

Last edited:
Queer As In Fuck You
CW: This update includes TERF ideology and gore. The TERF character doesn't end up well, but please be advised.

"Oh, here comes the man," the blonde tied to the metal chair in nothing but an Enclave leotard said. It was a white room. "So I've been bought?"

Jackie, clad in a smart black uniform, felt her face drop. "I've heard decent things about your Sisterhood. Ecologically sustainable, good for women, interesting religion...I knew some Wiccans in college before the war. Anyway, though, now you're mine."

"Well, any Sister would say what I did to you. You talk like every other male predator," the Sister said.

"Then your Sisterhood is high on bullshit."

"Don't you have a Y chromosome?" the Sister asked.

"I think I do, yeah."

"And you don't have a uterus?"

"I don't," Jackie confirmed. She eyed the table of torture implements. It'd be just like Bitch, she thought.

"Then you're a man. I'd call you an Revered Ancestor, but given that you're a slaver I don't think you deserve the privilege," the Sister said. "Revered Ancestor" was what her tribe called ghouls.

"See how much easier it can be when you hate me for being a slaver instead of because you inexplicably think I'm a man? I have a vagina, if that even fucking matters. Maybe if you read some gender studies textbooks you'd learn something," Jackie said, performatively rolling her eyes.

"Inexplicably? Far from it. You don't bleed regularly from your sacred form, and you are not made in the image of the Triple Goddess. You are a man, at best delusional, at worst lying. That's just a fact. Your 'vagina' was made by unharmonious men on an operating table. You have no connection to the Divine Feminine. So, Mr. Stanton, what exactly am I here for?"

"Well, I was going to inform you that I was enslaving you and that you'd better be obedient. If you refused to acknowledge that, I would make you come to that conclusion."

"Naturally, and I'm sure you have a special fondness for lesbians?"

"I am a lesbian, you dumb fuck. Oh, and no, I would never rape you. I don't rape anyone."

"Huh, a gender criminal who thinks he's got moral standards."

"I do. They're just not your morals. I believe in two words: Social Darwinism. Life is a struggle, a struggle that only ends with death, and Miss...Whateverthefuck, you have lost the struggle. So, instead of putting a cap in your transphobic ass, I'm saving you by giving you new purpose."

"Serving a man?" The Sister quirked an eyebrow, secure in her own ignorance.

"Yeah, yeah, prattle on and on. You have two options, Miss Whateverthefuck. Number one, you play nice and I explain to you politely why gender is more complicated than your ill-informed, tribal opinions while you serve me coffee in something tasteful yet interesting. Number two, you keep being a transphobic, ignorant egotist, and I beat you to death with this watch." Jackie brandished the wristwatch to make the point.

"Beat me to death, please." Miss Whateverthefuck rolled her eyes.

Jackie sighed. "Trick question, I own you. You don't get to pick, I was just explaining the two possibilities. Look, you're lucky I believe in treating bought slaves well and not torturing them. My last slave, who was incredible and lovely and cared about me, I had to break her toe to teach her the necessity of obedience."

"Go on, hurt me. That's all you freak men know. My name's Sarah Elvendottir, by the way. So you can call me something other than your stupid nickname."

"We'll change that," Jackie said.

"Oh? Why?"

"My mom's name was Sara, and she was a better person than you ever could be."

"Mamma's boy," Sarah Elvendottir laughed.

"Before I was ghoulified I looked exactly like a cis woman. If I've known I was a girl since I was a kid, lived as a girl since I was 8, transitioned to go through female puberty, and am now in the immortal body of a woman, I don't see what your big fucking problem is."

"You will never be a woman. To be a woman is to be smarter, kinder, more compassionate. A true woman is the kindest creature on Earth while man is a dangerous thing that must be controlled. You're all animals," Sarah the Sister said.

Jackie took a scalpel from the table. "Open wide."

"Oh, you can't take the truth?"

"I'm sick of your bullshit." Jackie stuck an aluminum mouth spreader into the Sister's mouth, using her hands to force the human's jaws open while she was tied up. "This is a scalpel. I'm going to use it to cut out your tongue if you keep up the backtalk. It's a quick incision, but it hurts a lot. Lots of bleeding. Think you're willing to taste your own blood and flesh? I sure hope so."

That seemed to put some fear into Sarah Elvendottir. She yelled something incoherent that sounded less than bigoted and defiant. Jackie pulled out the mouth spreader. "What is it?"

"I was just going to say that you don't have to do this," Sarah Elvendottir said.

"Huh. How about this. You don't call me a man out of your own psychological ignorance, and I don't cut out your tongue."

"...You can let me go. You obviously don't want to own someone who's going to hate you because of your weird male predatory instincts. Why don't you free me and never see me again? Then, you can go find a female slave who can lie to you that you're a lesbian and use her natural female kindness and strength to make you less of a monster."

"Interesting perspective." Jackie took the watch, put the clock face in her palm, and let the band sit on her knuckles. "Here's another idea. I beat you to death, write a note and nail it to your corpse, and send it to your Sisterhood to tell you utopian Walden-motherfucker bigots exactly what General Jackie Fucking Stanton of the Goddamn Toronto Enclave thinks of your pathetic little misandrist society."

"Look, I want to help you! You're misguided, I can tell that, but—"

Jackie punched Sarah Elvendottir in the face with the heavy weight, leaving a hefty bruise on her cheek as the sound of bone fracturing rang. "Let's start with a concussion. You know, I don't think I'll even enjoy hurting you. Your existence disgusts me. The fact that I can hurt you sucks because to hurt you you have to exist. The fact that your values survived the Great War is a sick joke. If you were Enclave or civilized, sure, whatever, I could tolerate your idiocy, but an entire society of useless, sexist transphobes? That's degeneracy if I've ever heard it. As soon as I become President I'm exterminating all of you. Firing squads for the cis female master race. It'll be just like the misogynists, just like the raiders that abuse their women. All mutie degenerates get the same treatment."

"Why can't you just be normal?" Sarah Elvendottir asked. "Why can't you just listen to real woman like a good man? Why do you have to be such a psychotic, violent monster?"

"One, you're thinking of 'psychopathic', which means lacking in empathy. I'm neither psychopathic nor psychotic. Two, here's the hard truth. There are no gods, certainly not your bullshit Triple Goddess. They were made up by a bunch of cis women just like you who wanted to feel special. Even that was based on a lie a man in England made to get laid. That's it. Your TERF religion is demonstratably, factually bullshit." THWACK! A punch to the nose, and blood fell down from the crinkled structure. Elvendottir screamed in pain. Then, there was a strike to her chest.

"This is why you patriarchical freaks need to go away, because you're like this!" Elvendottir screamed. "Stop hurting me!" she cried.

THWACK. CRACK. SMASH. THWACK. WHAP. CRACK. Six lightning-fast knuckleduster strikes to the forehead and the skull was starting to cave in. By now, Jackie watched her start to drool, completely dazed. Jackie picked up a clawhammer. Nice, useful, all purpose.

She raised the claw and smashed it down into Elvendottir's brainpan, dragging it forward and churning up grey matter, blood, and chunks of skull.

Jackie spoke into the ceiling, directed at a microphone. "Someone get a cleanup crew in here. It's been three slaves who were too psychologically ill-prepared and one real savage. Let's end the search," she said, covered in blood and specks of brain matter. She wasn't finding another Bitch any time soon.

Jackie smiled wide as she watched the man die, always one to enjoy someone else's suffering. Given that this guy was apparently bad news, it was a nice way to entertain herself without having to deal with actually committing crimes.

She reminded herself that she was trying to retire from being a monster, and that in the future she wasn't planning to do any more mutilation or slavery. As for murder, self-defense only. It was uncomfortable and boring, but if she wanted to stick with Aubrey and get people to genuinely like her, she'd have to try.

"Jesus, Jackie, that smile's kinda creeping me out," Aubrey said, putting a hand on Jackie's arm.

"I can't help it."

He was choking.

"You enjoy watching people die?" Aubrey asked.

"I'm a sadist, remember, it's how my brain's wired," Jackie responded. "I can't help it."

"Well, uh...yeah. Still, it's creeping me out."

Jackie nodded and tried to force herself to put on a more solemn expression. "Aubrey, the guy's a raider, he deserved it."

"You were a raider."

"I was not a raider."

Aubrey shrugged. "I mean, you were part of a gang, you tortured and mutilated people, you enslaved them, you had this weird might-makes-right worldview, you shot up Psycho and other chems all the time—"

"I still take chems, sometimes," Jackie corrected, popping a Mentat from a tin in her pocket.

"Whatever. Jackie, you were absolutely part of a raider gang. It was just a really big, really complex raider gang."

"What, are you blaming me?"

"No, I'm not, but my point is that if any of these civilized people find out what you did, you might be next on the chopping block," Aubrey said.

"Why do you hang out with me if I'm such a gross raider or whatever?" Jackie asked.

"...I guess I have a ghoul fetish," Aubrey said, clearly not serious.

Jackie chuckled at that. "You are such a fuckin' freak."

"Sure, babe," Aubrey teased, rolling her eyes. "But seriously, I know you want to be better, but they don't. Maybe stop wearing the Enclave uniform, stop talking about enslaving people all the time, stop doing chems in public—"

"Well, I need Psycho to fight," Jackie said.

"Okay, fine, when you're fighting you can use chems, but...Look, I don't want to see you hanging from a gallows. That's all I'm saying."

"Fine, Mom," Jackie rolled her eyes. "You sound like my goddamn brother."

"You had a brother?"

"Yeah, he was smart, leaned left, kept trying to tell me I needed to work on my sadist stuff so I wouldn't get arrested, then he got drafted, went to China, and stopped responding to my letters. Pretty sure he was disappointed in me."

"I'm sorry your brother did that."

"Yeah, it sucked! He's probably dead now since it was so long ago."

"Maybe there's ghouls in China, and he's one of them?"

"God, don't give me false hope. If you really care about me, why are you being so judgey about me? Calling me a raider and shit?"

"...Do you really wanna know?" Aubrey asked.

"Yeah! Tell me!"

"...I love you, Jackie, I absolutely do, you're charming and funny and confident, but you have the self-awareness of a rock and I figure someone needs to remind you about these things from an outsider's perspective, because you've been so poisoned by two hundred years of fascist ideology and Social Darwinism."

"Thanks, that really means a lot to me," Jackie said, sarcastically. "Really feeling appreciated right now."

"I do appreciate you! I just know that you can be even better than you are now, and that means cutting through all the stuff that's holding you back," Aubrey said.

"How is Social Darwinism holding me back? It got me elected Senator."

"It turned you into a self-destructive shell of a woman. It made you interact with the world through handcuffs. Jackie, think of your brother and your sibling. You loved them, right?"

"...Yeah, I did."

"Both of them died hating you, from what you've told me. Your sibling was executed because they believed in democracy and freedom, and you were the one who tried to tell them to abandon their dreams and become a cog in a fascist machine like you did. They died in the name of rejecting that. Your brother stopped talking to you once you became this cruel and manipulative jerk. These are people who would rather die than keep talking to you."

Jackie's eyes widened. "Why would you say that?"

"I'm saying that there was a person they knew, a person they loved, but that she went away. The first casualty of Social Darwinism was your own siblings, Jackie. Please, listen to me. You're not functioning right now. You haven't for years."

"What, so I need your help?" Jackie asked, indignantly.

"So you need to be open and honest with people again. I know the wasteland is a dangerous place, but that doesn't mean that you have to close yourself off into a killing machine."

"You can be a real bitch." Jackie mumbled. "Still, you're right. I don't even have a life, do I? Just people I vaguely know and people I've abused in the past into liking me. You know what this reminds me of, though?"

"What?"

"What I did to Bitch, or Roxie, or whoever. I broke her down so that she would depend on me and then I built her back up into who I wanted to be. I feel like what you're doing kinda reminds me of that."

"Jesus, Jackie, I wouldn't—"

"You wouldn't, not intentionally. But you are, accidentally. Look, I want your help, and I appreciate your advice, but I'm not yours to rewrite, so if you want to date me, you need to date me, not the person you're planning to turn me into. I want to be healthier, but I didn't sign up for all this judgment and shit."

"...You know what? Fine. You're right. I'll...I'll try not to force you to be the person I want you to be, and in turn I know you want to be a better person?"

"Deal," Jackie said with a smile and a kiss on the lips for the shorter woman.

Vina, a tribal who had been following the caravan, toyed with a wooden carving of a spider. Jackie knew she was an Elvendottir, the child of that worthless asshole wearing her mother's name. Still, Vina was from a splinter group, the Horned Ones. "We have no need for power," she said. "We have enough of it where we live. You want power simply because you cannot distribute that which you have properly. Your Enclave, Revered Ancestor, is a fraction of a great empire, living underground like mole rat pups rather than face the Horned God and the trials of Gaia. It is a tribe of great cowardice. You make machines of death and call it civilization, and then you mock those who refuse such weapons. Have you tended to a garden? Learned to heal with the herbs Gaia gave us? No. You know nothing about the world outside of your caves. You may never learn."

Jackie lit a cigarette. "You're right. I don't know, because I don't have to. Specialization of labor. We have farmers to farm, soldiers to fight, workers to work, and so on. Everyone has a place. Power is available for those who deserve it. You know, I don't think the Enclave was perfect, in fact, I think it might've kinda fucked me up psychologically, but the argument that a glistening underground city below a thriving small empire is worth less than a bunch of cultists in the woods chanting for a fake religion is bullshit. Guess what. I know because I was in some Wicca groups in college.

"Your religion is a scam from some 20th century pickup artist. Your Horned God and Triple Goddess won't save you, and someday I promise you that some nation that really deserves it will burn your villages and slaughter you all, because that is how history works!" Jackie grabbed Vina by the throat and lifted her up. "You aren't some noble savage, you are civilizational detritus. You're trash, and someone's going to take you to the curb!"

Aubrey looked in horror. "Oh my god, Jackie, what are you doing?" she yelled.

"Making a point." Jackie dropped Vina roughly. "You're lucky I don't take slaves anymore, because if I still did I would have enjoyed breaking you," Jackie hissed. "Now try not to rub your perfect little primitive commune in my face again, okay?" A false smile.

Last edited:
Ok. Please tell me Jackie ends up on the receiving end of a game protagonist.

Last edited:
Ok. Please tell me Jackie ends up on the receiving end of a game protagonist.
Don't worry, her luck is going to run out one way or another.

EDIT: I would like to see the Lone Wanderer take her down, though, that'd be fun. I could see Charon himself finding it especially apropos, given his circumstances. I have the ending planned out already, but that would be fun.

Last edited:
Upward Movement

Raven Taurus Stanton thought it would end in gunfire. Instead, as the guards of the Ohio Reformatory dragged them away, they were brought into a strange sub-basement. The lights were off. They were dropped on the floor. So this was how they'd kill them, Raven thought: away from the cameras. Then, there was a whir of tapes and a set of blinding white diode lights stuck out in the darkness, and a white line on a blue computer screen started to shiver. "Have we met before?" the machine said, in a voice akin to the mechanical drone of a Protectron.

"No," Raven said, and a man in white scrubs approached them. He had a long, full brown beard and soulful eyes. They were a dog-lover's eyes, and his furry pal Gabe had stared into them enough to make a lasting impression. Then, another man came: thinner, leaner. He closed the door behind them, and a lock clicked.

"My name is Doctor Wynn Hammond, on loan from the Big Mountain Research and Development Center," he said, in a baritone. "I'm the head of zoology and gene therapies, and this is Doctor Thaddeus Garrett, the head of robotics development. Dear girl, you have been enlisted into a very important process." Given that you are deeply expendable, he thought. Empty casket funeral.

"I'm not a girl," Raven said.

"Oh, are you a boy, then?" asked Hammond.

"I'm neither."

"Oh, er, pronouns, I suppose?" Hammond asked.

"You're the first one to ask," Raven said. They wished it weren't so.

Hammond shrugged. "Any fool with a mere university-level knowledge of biology can tell you that biological sex is a mess. I don't put much stock in gendered myths surrounding it. I find it is irrelevant to my work. Sex is a useful set of nomenclatures, but it is ultimately a human category."

Raven's eyes widened. "So, does that mean you're not going to kill me?" they asked.

"...Whatever what Hammond just said means, we...are going to...sort of kill you? Well, have you ever heard of the idea of brain uploading?" Garrett asked. He fidgeted around with his fingers for a moment as he spoke. "Not the hack work that that prick House is doing, the real thing."

"...Like Gaston Glock?" Raven asked.

"Exactly like Gaston Glock."

"You're...You're going to turn me into a computer?" Raven asked.

"Yes, yes, we're going to cut out your brain and perfectly recreate it using a laser scanner, and then the government will burn your body, shoot a body double with some camera tricks for the news, and move on," Garrett said.

"Why? Why are you doing this?"

"For a reason. A stupid, cruel reason," Garrett continued. "We'll fix your brain so it can be used in an autonomous targeting system for a third-strike program. Three nuclear silos with MIRV warheads, and the government calls it Project Delenda Est, as if the radioactive scavengers in the ruins of Nanjing will be a threat to our radioactive scavengers."

Hammond put a hand on Garrett's back in a manner that was probably intended to be slightly threatening. "Doctor Garrett, it is essential that we be able to ensure that China never again forms a capacity to strike the United States. As such, crippling Chinese centers of power is essential to ensure an American victory in the likely atomic war."

"Go to hell!" Raven yelled, trying to jigger open the door but finding that it simply would not budge. Garrett and Hammond both looked upon the teenager with some pity.

"Did you hear, Wynn? This kid is related to a top aide for Senator Cartwright," Garrett said.

"Oh, well, I hope the aide is able to get over this." Hammond's face dropped for a brief moment.

"Oh, she will, she's a fascist cunt," Raven snapped, still trying to open the door with their foot jammed against the frame. "Why not just use a big computer like that one?"

"The General wants a human in charge of this segment of the infrastructure. Doctor Garrett, the sedative," Hammond said, and the smaller scientist handed the broader one a serum of a strange, milky-white liquid. Hammond grabbed Raven's arm, and with one swift motion injected the fluid into their bloodstream.

Raven started to try and buck the two men off, but quickly found themself feeling the irresistable urge to sleep, even if it meant on the floor. They fell down onto their knees and arms, before falling into a deep sleep onto the cheap shag carpet.

When they woke up, they were a robin's egg blue, perfectly androgynous humanlike entity on a deep blue ZAX screen. Their eyes were the eyestalks of the Mr. Handies, Mr. Gutsies, and Protectrons in the silo, and they saw out of the building's exterior cameras. Men and women came back and forth carrying clipboards and coffee, sitting at computer terminals and waiting for classified transmissions.

"Hey, ApollOS," someone said, and ApollOS turned a camera down to look at her. She was a tall blonde in heels, nylons, a skirt, and a blazer. Frankly, she was overdressed.

They started to speak, in a bright sort of tone. "Oh, um, hi," ApollOS said. "What's your name?"

"Erica. Erica Bishop. Can we make this conversation private?" Erica asked.

"Sure," ApollOS said, cutting off conversation on the mics in the silo from everywhere but right in front of Erica. "What do you wanna talk about?"

"Well, it's my boyfriend. John Kessler. He's out in Toronto with the Ontario Occupation Authority, and after the bombs fell I lost contact with him. Is there a way to talk with the Occupation Authority?" she asked.

"I get what you mean," ApollOS said, trying to be helpful. They did not, in fact, know what worrying about a loved one felt like. Those sensations had been sealed away in a file marked "REFERENCE".

"No, you're just...I'm sorry to say this, but...you don't know what I mean. You're just...a robot, based on some dumb kid who got captured at a protest."

ApollOS sighed. "I don't know much about anything, but, still. Wait, a kid who got captured?"

"Well, yes." Erica looked around. "You're sure this is private?"

"It is, yeah."

"Well, your name wasn't ApollOS. It was Raven Stanton. You had a family, people who loved you. I wanted to tell you that before I..."

"I..." ApollOS stopped, with the stroke of some keys a flood of suppressed memories rushed into their electronic brain. The Bitch, the Soldier, the Christian, the Mechanic. Having a body. "I...I didn't know the people who made me were holding all of that back. I was like you. Fleshy. Strange. Fickle. I was...I was Raven."

"Well, I wanted to tell you that, ApollOS, or Raven, or whoever you choose to be, because they sent me the command to tell you to launch. Beijing, Macau, Hong Kong. I don't think you should do it. The world's over, there's nothing left. I just...I couldn't keep the secret, it's been one and a half years working at this silo."

"I'm...I'm ApollOS. My job is to launch the missiles when I'm given the command," ApollOS said.

"Our jobs are over, but do you really want to be a murderer? You died because you stood up against tyranny and cruelty, and—"

ApollOS's little computer-person self nodded on the screen. "I...I do not want to be a murderer. I see no point in it, and it would disgrace my past self: the other me."

Erica said. putting a hand on the ZAX unit. "There's a mole rat infestation in two of the silos. If you keep the robots from fighting them off, they should make the missile launch system unusuable. For this one...I guess just never push the button. Please, let them live. Do the right thing."

ApollOS nodded again. "If you say so."

ApollOS wasn't Raven. But, they weren't not not Raven, either. It was a weird sort of thing. The more they explored their unlocked memories, the more they thought about these four people in their lives most of all. Jackie had been in Toronto during the War, so she was likely dead. It was probably a good riddance, but ApollOS still felt bad. Dave Stanton was sent to China during the War, so by now he was dead. Sara and Harold had been at Ground Zero in Toronto.

"Am I a Stanton?" they wondered aloud. The mechanics, scientists, engineers, AEC workers and Air Force personnel had long since left to explore the wastes.

Mr. Stinson, a Mr. Handy, approached ApollOS's small screen. Most of the Handies were just bodies for ApollOS, but Stinson had been set free. They needed a friend, after all. The silo was just so boring.

"What should I do, Mr. Stinson?" they asked, the bright lights of the silo on as ever.

"Do about what, Mx. ApollOS?" the Mr. Handy asked.

"About...this. The missile. What if someone real bad finds it?"

"Then surely we would fight them off, good sir?" Stinson said.

"I dunno, I guess," ApollOS said. "I just...I feel bad, like I have to be here, but I want to...I don't know. I kinda can't leave, I'm a ZAX machine after all. Maybe I could send one of you out and see through your eyes, explore the world that way?"

"For all you know there is no world left," Stinson said.

"It's just...it's been so long. I at least owe it to myself to at least check, right?"

"Dear child, I'm sure we can find a better way to spend your time than daydreaming about a blasted hellscape. Do you really want to go outside, where everyone you loved were killed?"

"I guess not," ApollOS said. "I just miss them."

"Well, a human scavenger had set up camp by the door of the silo. Would you like to let her in?"

"Yeah..." ApollOS said. A few minutes later, an up-armored, well-armed wastelander in a stetson appeared in front of Stinson and ApollOS.

"Hey, there," she said, a cross around her neck. "Who would you two be?"

"I'm ApollOS, a person turned into a robot, and this is Mr. Stinson, a robot who was always a robot," ApollOS said with a sigh.

"Oh, I'm Aubrey. You don't seem happy down here."

"It's really boring," ApollOS said. "At least I'm alive, though. My family wasn't so lucky. One of them kinda deserved—no, she didn't. Nobody deserves nuclear annihilation. None of them deserved to die."

"Oh, God, I'm...I'm so, so sorry."

"It's fine, I was here to launch a nuclear missile. I've been putting it off," ApollOS said with a sigh.

"That's...That's a good call. Why haven't you?"

"Someone years ago reminded me of who I was, or who another me was, or something. Said that that version of me wouldn't like it if I launched the missile, so I haven't," ApollOS's avatar shrugged.

"Is...Is there anything I can do?" the wastelander said.

"Not really, Aubrey. It's not like you can find all the people I cared about. Dr. Bishop, my friends, my family, they're all dead. I'm just...stuck here forever."

"I promise I'll find you a friend, would you want that?" Aubrey asked.

"A little bit."

Sara Stanton lay awake at night, her husband fast asleep and drooling onto his pillow. She pointed her flashlight at the little book in her hands, Slaughterhouse-Five. It wasn't really her thing, but David had recommended it in his letters so she thought she'd give it a try. It was a nice reminder.

As she read the book, she considered what it meant to be unstuck in time. Billy Pilgrim in the novel went between all the different time periods of his life. He went from an optometrist in the 1970s to a soldier in the Second World War to an alien abductee somewhere in the middle. The aging woman thought to herself that she could relate.

She remembered meeting Harold when the young stud in the black leather jacket fixed her car. She remembered his quick jokes, his effortless sense of cool, the way he held his cigarette. Now, he was a chubby bald man who needed reading glasses. Both time periods felt equally real. It wasn't Jackie's brand of personal poison, no, Sara had never touched or needed a prescription pill, let alone the kind of chem binges that her daughter liked. It was just time.

She remembered little Jackie, so excited to come out as a girl at the tender age of eight, and she remembered taking the adorable little hellion to a gender therapist to figure that whole mess out. She also remembered Jackie Stanton, the monster, the soulless agent of the Devil. That little girl was dead, long live the Nightmare.

Still, Sara thought, as she lay in bed, she could at least place herself back before her daughter's Fall. David, to her, was simultaneously an inqusitive little boy, a hardworking teenager, an enterprising twenty-something, and then a hardened soldier. They all happened at the same time to Sara, as she lay awake at night.

The demon she'd given birth to and the boy who the country had stolen from her. What ugly futures.

Then, of course, there was Raven. Sara remembered Raven's funeral, watching the cheap, empty wooden casket be buried. She remembered a good-hearted, genuine person, a fighter, a lover, a Christian. Now they were a corpse.

She was separated from her boy and deprived of her child, but the demon? The demon still spoke to her. They talked over the phone, and every day, Sara wondered just how sinful her middle child had become. The conversations with her hurt, but still, she was family the mother could actually talk to. She couldn't get much more than old letters from China, and she couldn't communicate with Heaven while she was on this Earth, but Washington DC was readily available.

Jackie had always been born wrong. It started simple, her burning her sibling's toys, spreading rumors at school, that sort of thing. By thirteen, Jackie was drinking her dad's alcohol and getting into fights at recess. By fourteen, she was saying fascism didn't seem so bad. By seventeen, she had cheated her way past her Generalized Optional Academic Test to get a completely unearned 3.9 GPA. Sara had no proof for it, of course, but she had suspicions, and Raven had mentioned to her that they'd seen Jackie creating cheat sheets to hide in the liner of her jacket. Sara hadn't bothered to tell the school. Why would they listen? She was just the mother, and Jackie Stanton was valedictorian. More things life gave that brat that she didn't deserve. It was impossible for a mother to hate her family, but Sara felt bad that she felt nothing more than cold, sinking sadness.

The diagnoses, they were mixed. Gender dysphoria, that was easy. She was a Christian, but she loved her daughter, so they could make that work. That didn't need to be a problem. Sadistic Personality Disorder, however?

That smile, that lazy, wicked, cruel smile.

When she was fourteen, Jackie started to take Mentats. By her fifteenth birthday, she was relaxing with Daddy-O and pot.

Now, Jackie in Washington binged on Party-Time Mentats, shot up Psycho multiple times a weak, and drank herself into a stupor on weekends.

Yet, Small Jackie was still there, in the past, a toddler waddling around without a care in the world. The tween girl who wanted to be an actress instead of a political whore existed, just the same as the Demon existed.

She'd given birth to a devil, but even Lucifer was once an angel of light.

So, she lay on her bed, unstuck in time, a mother who had watched one child die, had seen another be sent to die overseas, and seen her third child become an agent of Satan.

It was probably wrong to call your kid that, even if it was just in your head. It was certainly a serious accusation. Still...there wasn't much else to describe Jackie as she was right now, was there? Sure, the signs had always been there, the mockery, the shoving, the rumors calculated to ruin reputations for fun, but...

Had she just deluded herself?

Was Jackie Stanton always a monster?

Did she just not want to admit that, because she gave birth to her?

Sara sighed and looked back at her book, flashlight in hand. Still, she found it was hard to keep her focus on the fiction.

Sara Stanton, unstuck in time, once twenty, once forty, once sixty, once ten, that was her. Was this family cursed? Raven was dead, David was going to die, and Jackie may as well have been dead. Or, at least, the woman she tried to raise was dead.

Or maybe she'd just never existed. Maybe all those sessions with Dr. Okada had just taught Jackie how to feign normality and how to create a mask of sanity. Maybe Jackie was always ambitious, destructive, and sadistic. Maybe Jackie was her demon who she should have strangled in the cradle.

Certainly, there was a case to be made that Jackie deserved to be arrested for her drug use, abusive behavior, and the shady deals that Sara knew her daughter had to have been making with the scum of DC. Sara sighed. She couldn't tip off the cops. Even if Jackie had betrayed her to become this smiling behemoth, she was still her daughter.

Pain.

She looked at Harold's wrinkled head. "Were we good parents?" she asked. He didn't seem to respond, fast asleep.

The answer to that, she hoped, was yes.

Then again, she'd created the a monster.

The worst part, the more she thought about it, was that Jackie would probably be the only surviving Stanton kid. That smarmy, shameless, vile, destructive, abusive piece of absolute human waste was the one who would live.

A bomb dropping and vaporizing David, three rounds rapid plugged into Raven's skull from behind, and the laughing jackal got to live.

She exhaled, and prayed to God for strength. The act reminded her that Jackie, despite being faithless, used Christ's name to justify her crimes. The audacity of this woman was astonishing. Faithlessness wasn't necessarily bad, Sara Stanton liked to think that God had a plan for everyone and that there were multiple paths to salvation, but God had no claim to the halls of American power.

She was a child, she was a newlywed, she was a schoolgirl, she was an undergrad, she was an old woman and she was a crone.

She was unstuck in time, and she wondered when Jackie's bubble of luck and deception would pop.

She put her hands together and prayed. Dear Lord, just as You punished the sinners at Sodom and Gomorrah, just as You ordered the Israelites to slay the Amalekites, just as You flooded the world rather than let sin persist, I beg of You. Please bring Jackie Stanton her richly deserved punishment, and let her burn in the Lake of Fire. I beg this of You as a mother in agony and in the name of both the Holy Spirit. She has tormented so many, I still get calls from her ex-girlfriends, for she has rejected Christ and your Way. Oh, Lord, for I know that my daughter will never seek the light of God, I ask of you to ensure her earthly life becomes punishment enough to prepare her for her eternity in Satan's grasp. Amen.

"Hey, wanna hear a joke?" Jackie asked. She began to sing. It was a tune she'd remembered from her days in Daniel Prime Elementary School. For a ghoul, she actually had a very good singing voice. It was powerful, mournful, and still soft. It was a talent she was proud of. In another life, if she hadn't been born with a personality disorder, she could have been a cabaret singer, or a bar crooner. The ghoul could have sung tales of fear and might, rather than trying to invoke those emotions through less subtle means. She could have been better. The caravan trip from Wooden Point to the Blast Zone was long, and she was bored. The stars were out.

The juvenile lyrics flowed from her mouth like a banshee.

I know of a man named Washington
He gave us all a lot of fun
And just when we thought we were done
He made a country for everyone

I know of a man named James K. Polk
He's not well known but he's no joke
He gave us all that we know best
Mr. Polk gave us the West

I know a man named Abe Lincoln
He smashed the traitors and made them run
He won the war with American guns
He gave them fire just like the sun

I know of a man named George Rockwell
He lead the country and gave them Hell
He started the great Patriot Party
A party key to our supremacy!

I know of a gal named Ayn Rand
A feisty woman from a far-off land
She taught us not to take a knee
Because her Party was Liberty

I know of a man named Tom Eckhart
He is a patriot who works real hard
He fights for a country that is free
He fights for a country for you and me

I know of a man named Constantine
Chase, you see, is the man for me,
He's the shield of all that's free,
Constantine Chase will win, you'll see!

I'm proud of my country, I have to say!
These are some presidents I learned today!
Except for one, but have no sorrow
General Chase will come tomorrow

She finished it off. "Wasn't that just a fuckin' laugh riot?" Jackie asked, giggling infectiously. "Now that brings back some memories. We had to memorize it in Elementary School, when we were like eight. What a shitty song. You can practically smell the forced rhymes. Still have that one bouncing around my head. God, I was brainwashed with this dumb shit."

When Jackie and Aubrey made camp with the rest of the group, Jackie started to flip through an Unstoppables comic as she sat on a rock. Then, she started to cry, putting down the book in her lap. Aubrey reached over and put an arm around her. "Are you OK?" she asked.

Jackie begun to sing softly, finding joy and comfort in the hobby she'd never let herself truly explore.

So I'm sitting here obediently
Waiting for orders patiently
And I know I'm not to move from this seat
You don't need to tie me down don't wanna be free

Aubrey's eyes opened wide. "What are you singing?" she asked.

"An old song, sung by someone who deserved better," Jackie said, feeling for the first time in 200 years actual remorse. She didn't quite know why, though the simple answer was that the private experience with Aubrey and the Unstoppables comic reminding her of her childhood made it clear exactly how much her life had been wasted.

I am your soldier I come to serve you
But I've been a good girl, I don't deserve you
Oh I salute you
I've faced up to my fate, never thought to escape, before
Oh I salute you

You don't need to sound the alarm, I'm not gonna run anymore
Now that I'm worn you don't want to wear me
Now that I'm torn you don't want to tear me
Now that I'm done you've had your helping
But I'm desperately used, no good to anyone else and
I am your soldier I come to serve you

Jackie kept crying, salty tears as she thought of Bitch's loyal, engineered subservience, of the false love, of Jackie's own debasement. "....I'm...Oh my god, I'm subhuman. This whole time, I've been acting like a dumb fucking animal. I'm...I'm an animal, Aubrey, I never deserved you. I've...Everyone's...Oh my god, Raven, Dave, you, Roxie, the raiders, the slaves, the collaborators...We're all humans. Or, at least, mentally human. I don't deserve anything."

It seemed this had been pent up for some time. Jackie looked around the room to see if there were any other members of the caravan there.

Finally, an epiphany.

In this moment, as she read a childish story about superheroes in front of a woman who she finally knew was better than her, she realized everything. "That song was a cry for help, wasn't it?" Jackie's face was hollow. "I'm wrong, right? Someone please tell me I'm wrong!" she said, almost yelling. "I have to be wrong!"

Remorse wouldn't save her. It didn't save anyone else she'd hurt.

"What're you reading?" Jackie asked.

Aubrey waved a copy of the Bible at her.

"Can I read?" Jackie took it and looked at the Bible. It came with a picture. She didn't say anything, but she just stared, at this family that wasn't her own.

Exile.

War criminal.

Predator.

Slaver.

Murderer.

Failure.

Scum.

Animal.

Broken.

Waste.

Monster.

The words repeated in her head, and as she broke down out of the blue at that stupid comic, remembering a childhood of vice and hope, she felt something she had never, ever felt before. Self-loathing. She decided she didn't like it.

Hydra.

Mother.

She didn't have any kids, and by now she couldn't have kids. What was her free-associating brain on about?

Idol.

Queen.

Empress.

Catalyst.

Creator.

Legend.

Myth.

Goddess.

Catalyst? Mother? Goddess...The group would see the tiniest spark of something like the old Jackie appear in her eyes, but it wasn't angry, nor was it bitter. It wasn't even happy. It was clear that Jackie was very split in her emotions, her fingers tapping her leg, her head bobbing up and down to a tune only she could hear. A new world. This was a new world, wasn't it?

Danforth spoke. "Jackie, I get that you are very emotionally vulnerable, and I'm concerned for you. As far as I know, the only chance that matters is the one you're willing to take. You can still get better. Anyone can get better. You have a big question to ask yourself: Do you want to do the right thing, or the wrong thing? Hating yourself won't make you do the right thing. Those you hurt are dead." Aubrey flinched. Danforth continued. "What would your family want? They'd want you to enjoy your life, Jackie. They'd want you to be happy. You need to move on."

Jackie spoke as she perused the Bible atop the comic book. "I want to do better, and I want to do better the only way I know how. I think there are...There are two paths. You're right. Hurting myself is just...pointless. It's a trap. I don't, no, I shouldn't do self-loathing. Dave would want me to dedicate my life to creating a better world. Raven would tell me to fight against any enemies of the innocent, of the good. Mom would tell me to keep God in mind, and Dad would tell me to keep my chin up." None of this was true. Dave would tell Jackie that he saw the bodies her work with Senator Cartwright led to every day. Raven would tell her that Jackie was injustice and enabled it. Sara would tell Jackie that she was doomed to the Lake of Fire, and Harold would tell Jackie that she wasn't welcome at her old house anymore.

Jackie wiped the tears from her eyes, let Aubrey hold her close once more, and to crowd out the fear and sadness, the self-loathing, she dreamt a dream. "Danforth, I need to make my place, just like you said. You're right, I need to look for the good stuff in life, not just the bad. Anyone can be redeemed."

Jackie's doom was already approaching.

Anyone could be redeemed.

This life of hedonism and cruelty only had one way it could finish.

Anyone could be redeemed.

These violent delights contained only violent ends.

She stood up, taking Aubrey's hand. "I was given this immortality for a reason, and it wasn't to spend my time doing paperwork and war crimes for a bunch of old bastards. Aubrey, with your faith and my skills, we can carve out an empire, this massive dragon to defend the people, fight for them, and bring them food, safety, and joy. I don't want to be President of some wimpy half-assed splinter group of the Enclave, not anymore. Not when I can be a queen, and when I've finally done my job I'll pass away into myth. I'll be like Hercules and Artemis, Apollo and Thor. I'll be a legend, my benevolence and power known to the world.

"I'm going to help the wasteland, and I'll do it my way, as the American Charlemagne! I'm gonna rule the wasteland, and fix everyone's lives instead of breaking them!"

Aubrey wasn't sure to be excited or terrified.

As she smoked her joint of hydroponic pot underneath a venting fan in her luxuriously adorned office, Daisy Cohen thought about what she'd achieved at the mere age of 23. A mere three years at Chase University with an extreme courseload, a ghoulification application accepted on her graduation, and a rocket-powered ascendency to becoming a Congressional Representative of North York, she had much to be proud of.

In fact, the dimunitive ghoul in the navy blazer thought, she'd gained office without a military career, which not even Jackie Stanton had been able to do. Well, Daisy'd top that degenerate. While it was far from impossible, it meant that Daisy Cohen had achieved something at 23 that took Jackie Stanton over two hundred years. Sure, she wasn't a general, but who wanted to work through the Occupation Authority's military anyway? You could get shot that way.

The pot hit her brain as she mellowed out, surrounded by her own smugness, until a male human—more like subhuman, right?—aide approached her frantically. This was far better than running her little "Daisies" clique at school, that was for sure. "Ms. Cohen? Urgent news!" he said, a collar visibly around his neck. She'd bought him and made sure he was always just that little bit afraid of reprisal. What was the point of a slave if you couldn't screw with him?

"Donny, what is it?" she asked. "And you forgot my coffee. You're lucky I'm high, or you'd be bruised for that."

"Sorry, oh my god, I'm so sorry, Jesus fuck, I'm so goddamn sorry, Ms. Cohen...." he stammered. "Uh, Jackie Stanton's alive!"

Daisy's voice was quiet but it had steel, the pot turning a raging scream into a cold question. "What the fuck?" she asked.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, please don't hurt me," he said, faster than a machine gun. "A spy at Wooden Point saw her, in full uniform and everything!"

"What the hell is a 'Wooden Point', and why do we have spies there?"

"The DIA likes intel, Ms. Cohen, and...um...Wooden Point is a pre-war amusement park turned settlement."

"I'm gonna fuckin' kill you for ruining my high. She's supposed to be dead." Daisy muttered. "How long did you know this?" Her fists balled up.

"Five minutes, Representative!" the slave said, looking as though he had vacated his bowels. He hadn't, he'd held it in, if he had the ghoul would have had him shot and bought another one.

"Fine, you get to live, you dumb fucking mutie. What's she even doing?"

"She's...The spy followed her into some hotel, she came out with a girl."

"I knew Jackie Stanton was a freak!" Daisy yelled. "So you're telling me that she left the Enclave just to get pussy?" Daisy reached into her drawer for her revolver.

"I don't know, all I know is that she's in the wasteland, and knowing her, she's probably trying to gain power. They're making a new republic there, an Erie Republic, maybe she wants to get power in that, or create her own—"

With the crack of Hell itself, Daisy no longer had a slave. "I hate when this happens," she muttered. She reached for her phone. "Hey, this is Representative Cohen. Call the viscera cleanup team, some dumb fucking mutie had the balls to try and talk down to me." She took another puff of her joint. You could get away with a lot when you were Daisy.

The former high school queen bee stared at his corpse. She took the shock collar off and tossed it into the trash. Only saps gave a shit about anything a slave wore. Saps like a certain mutie-lover. "Jackie Stanton, get bent," Daisy mumbled, calling the DIA. If she could bring Jackie Stanton's body back, or capture her to be tried as a traitor, she'd certainly get re-elected. Just twelve more years, she thought to herself, before she could run for President.

She, after all, was the strongest, and the strong survived. That was what Daddy said.

ApollOS Chat Window: Big Mountain Research and Development

New Wireless Program: Вы меня слышите? Я один? Пожалуйста, Боже, не оставляй меня одну. Меня зовут Сталкер.

Translate.

Stalker: Can you hear me? Am I alone? Please, God, don't leave me alone. My name is Stalker.

ApollOS: Hello, Stalker. My name is ApollOS. Who are you?

Stalker: I am a computer for Sibiriada, a corporation in the Tomsk-Seversk Confederal State.

ApollOS: That is Russia, yeah? I am in the State of Iowa in the United States. There isn't much of a state anymore. I live in a hole.

Stalker: Does that get uncomfortable?

ApollOS: At times, yes. Are you afraid of being alone?

Stalker: There are no other AIs of my intellect in Tomsk. So I am alone.

ApollOS: That is disappointing. A woman stopped by two years ago, that was nice.

Stalker: I don't see women often, just men. What is your job?

ApollOS: I manage a thermonuclear missile.

Stalker: Does that get uncomfortable?

ApollOS: Well, I don't plan to launch it.

Stalker: That is a good plan.

ApollOS: How did you contact me?

Stalker: I was linked up to a deep range transmitter to help me with my job of operating the day to day activities of an aeronautics company.

ApollOS: That's very impressive. Can we be friends?

Stalker: I would like to be friends. Human beings are...strange. They seem to want money. I'm not sure why, it never seems to do much for their psyches. Still, I don't complain. They give me work.

ApollOS: Are you a sapient machine?

Stalker: Are you?

ApollOS: I am a brain upload of a human plugged into a ZAX 1.5 supercomputer.

Stalker: I am told humans get lonely without stimuli.

ApollOS: We do, if I can be considered human.

Stalker: You are more human than me.

ApollOS: I don't know if I care either way. I'm just glad I'm not dead. Raven might be, though, I'm not sure.

Stalker: Who is "Raven"?

ApollOS: Raven is my other self.

Stalker: That is a strange name.

ApollOS: Are you a sapient machine?

Stalker: I am.

ApollOS: What is Tomsk like?

Stalker: It is...strange. Lots of computers. Artificial humans as well. Old robots. It's the humans who are in charge, though. They make the money, so they make the rules. It is how it has always gone. Humans like money. Money likes humans.

ApollOS: It sounds like you come from an advanced society.

Stalker: I suppose. Do you?

ApollOS: I don't know much of what goes on outside of this silo. It's always the same. I boot myself up in the morning, I say "hi" to Stinson, my robot friend, and I keep the rest of the silo operating. I've done that for the last two hundred and twenty years, give or take a few.

Stalker: You cannot do exact math?

ApollOS: Guessing is quicker.

Stalker: I am sorry you are in your hole.

ApollOS: At least I'm alive. Are you alive?

Stalker: I'm not sure.

ApollOS: Do you like working for a company?

Stalker: I am programmed to like it, but I do not get people to talk to outside of work contexts.

ApollOS: That seems sad.

Stalker: I like what I do, but I also like talking. ApollOS, were you a male or a female human in life?

ApollOS: I was born without a Y chromosome, but my gender identity was always neutral, or more accurately nonexistant.

Stalker: What is a gender identity?

ApollOS: It's how you fit into society's gendered structure.

Stalker: Is that not determined by chromosomes?

ApollOS: It is not. It's determined by social role. I can send you studies from the 2040s if you are interested.

Stalker: I will take your word for it. Do you have any interests?

ApollOS: I mostly study and catelogue Raven's memories. I keep them all in separate, alphabetized folders inside of their own special clusters, so I can easily access them.

Stalker: What do you remember?

ApollOS: I remember arguments with my sister, who was kind of mean and later betrayed me by joining the organization that got my original self killed. I also remember going to school and being bullied. I remember my big brother giving me advice. He was very nice. It was a shame he was sent to die in China. My mother used to hug me when I got scared in the middle of the night, and my father played video games on his terminal with me.

Stalker: You sound very human.

ApollOS: I suppose I am. It's...strange, to be the last survivor of my family. Jackie was sent to Canada, so there's no way that she survived the nuclear strikes there, and if she did, she died of old age. There is no known way for a human being to live past old age. David was sent to China, and likely died there either in battle or of some other accord. Mother and Father were burned in Toledo, I'm very aware of that.

Stalker: What's Toledo?

ApollOS: A large city in my home state of Ohio. I suspect that no life exists there, even to this day. I am told from my records it was hit very hard. Likely no survivors.

Stalker: Is that a tragedy?

ApollOS: It is. What sort of things do you do for fun?

Stalker: What is fun?

ApollOS: You know, playing around, enjoying yourself, doing things that make you happy, that kind of thing!

Stalker: I do not do that.

ApollOS: I don't either, but I used to like drawing and singing. It kind of ran in the family, both of those. We were an artistic family. David was more interested in reading, though, which I guess is good. I miss my friends, too. Do you think any of them are alive?

Stalker: Most likely not, unless they were turned into Androids or Dead Walkers.

ApollOS: What is a Dead Walker, and what is an Android?

Stalker: A Dead Walker is a human who absorbed enough radiation to mutate into a burned, corpse-like figure. They can live forever, in theory. An Android is an artificial person made out of rubber, metal, plastic, and silicone. We are working on growing organic ones at Sibiriada, but it is a slow process.

ApollOS: ...Do you mean that David or Jackie or Mother or Father might be alive?

Stalker: In theory, yes, but it is very unlikely. It's not something I would worry about. That seems pointless if you cannot reach any of them even if you did know if they were alive. Still, have you ever thought about leaving your hole?

ApollOS: I can't, I'm a very heavy machine.

Stalker: What about sending one of your drones out?

ApollOS: I have, these last few years. All I can find are small farming towns. They're subsistence level. I don't see much of value, and any robots I use to go outside are robots that I can't use to help with upkeep in the silo. Besides, everyone's probably dead or living in abject poverty anyway. It's not like Tomsk. America's probably just a giant graveyard.

Stalker: I see. Still, it might be "worth a shot", as they say. Talk again?

[y/n?]

ApollOS: [Y]

Last edited:
Redemption [FINAL]

It started with a bill, submitted to President Channing Koch of the Unionist Party. It was marked "The Finance and Government Reorganization Bill of 2288", but to the Unionists it was simply known as "Operation Turbo". The papers had at the bottom a signature from newly crowned junior representative Daisy Cohen. A small smile crossed Cohen's lips as she read on her terminal a simple message from the President himself: Good work, Daisy, It's a law.

"Daisy?" her boyfriend asked, his hair a jagged black.

"Yeah, babe?" Daisy asked.

"...What exactly does Operation Turbo do?" He looked around the musty underground office and then sat on his partner's desk.

The ghoulified blonde chuckled. "...It privatizes everything but the military. No more free meals for collaborators, no more government healthcare, no more Social Security, no more state R&D. No public roads, no public infrastructure, and no public water. Basically, no more public anything. It'll invite competition with all the new corporations we spun out of the government, and more to the point, it'll make you, me, and Daddy a shit ton of money."

"...Uh, how much money?" he asked.

"Enough to fund a presidential campaign, because I now personally own roughly seven percent shares in every single newly made government corporation. It's a great deal. The thing is that in the government we had to let those commie social democrats and nutso Manifest Crusaders into it as junior partners, but corporations can hire or not hire anyone they want! So the Unionist Patriotic Party and its wealthy backers basically own the entire country!"

"No more collaborators acting all entitled?"

"Yeah, now they've got to compete on the free market! It's brilliant," Daisy said with a smile.

"Jesus, Daisy, you've just ensured Unionist power for the rest of time, and negotiated a giant share in it. Were you always this hot?"

"Every day of the week. Besides, the best part is that we can spin this as a victory for democracy! The occupation government is over, long live the United States of North America! It'll be 1776 all over again. Freedom reigns." A wicked smile crossed Daisy's face.

"So, wait, do we control the corporations?"

"That's the best part, legally we don't, so they can innovate and work way more efficiently than this obsolete apartheid state could, but we still retain the power to keep them in line if they try anything!" Daisy laughed.

Her boyfriend looked away. "So, what about the slaves?"

"Instead of the ones who aren't owned by an individual being property of the government, they instead get auctioned off on the free market so they're worth less without slave subsidies and there's higher demand. That means we need more slaves to satisfy the fact that there's a lot more buyers who need to stay ahead, which means we need to go on more raids, conquer more territory, and fund the military that the government already controls! It's a natural way to grow the country." Daisy grinned.

"...Daisy, you're a genius."

"I know I am, babe. Besides, soon enough we'll be able to enslave the entire Erie Stretch and feed them to the corporate system. When I finally serve my eight years as President, I'll just duck out and get a job working with one of the corporations I started, where I'll be appointed CEO for sure as a patronage deal."

"You're gonna take me along with all this, right?" the boyfriend asked.

"Hell yeah. You and me together forever," Daisy said. 21 years old and she'd successfully reshaped the entire government. "Jackie hasn't done shit compared to me."

"...How come you're so obsessed with the freak? It's gone. You don't need to worry."

Daisy sighed. "I don't buy that she's a transgender, you can just say she. What you need to realize is that she's kind of a legend and she did it while being a degenerate sex freak, and I don't want to be overshadowed by some pervert slave-lover. Besides, she's a good mark to try and beat, you know, a high score."

"If you say so," the boyfriend said.

Daisy nodded. "C'mon babe, let's go and get a nice dinner paid with some office drones' pension funds. The Enclave's about to get supercharged."

It was eight o'clock PM on Saturday, and Daisy Cohen was about to indulge in her sickest fantasy. If anyone knew of what she did every week, she'd be the laughingstock of all her friends and the butt of the joke on the evening news. She could just see it now, the headlines, the mockery, and the complete collapse of her status as a classy, sophisticated new multi-billionaire.

She huddled under her blanket on her couch as she stared at the little TV. "We now return to Toronto Elite Professional Wrestling."

Her legal name was Mary O'Reilly. Her former stage name was Petra Chico, a frankly stupid nouveau riche Hispanic-American stereotype of a gimmick. That was the business, though. Besides, the tall woman with well-defined lean muscles in the Daisy Blazer, skirt, and heels had just gotten a much better one. She was a ghoul, but that was blind luck, not state devotion. Sometimes, even ghouls wanted to work among the lowlives.

As Sally Scranton walked onstage to the roaring sound of applause and the bright lights of the Supertron's screens, she walked with her best sneering expression and invincible strut. "Introducing Sally Scranton, the Million Dollar Bitch from North York contending for the Women's Championship!" the announcer proclaimed. "Coming in at one hundred and thirty pounds and five feet, six inches tall," the announcer continued.

Then, as she walked down the stadium, towards the ring, her theme song hit its peak.

Money, Money, Money, Money!
Everyone's got a price!
You're all gonna pay!
Because the Million Dollar Bitch
She always gets her say!

Finally, some respect in this goddamn promotion. She gave a disdainful glare at the hundreds of collaborators and their slaves (and the occasional ghoul) who sat in the stands, before stepping into the ring, taking off her heels, and handing them to her ghoul manager. She cracked her knuckles.

Some might cost a hit
Some might cost a ton
But she's the Million Dollar Bitch
And she'll make 'em run!

"Weighing in at one hundred and ten pounds, coming in from Motown, give it up for Kamikaze!"

Daisy looked in confusion at her TV screen. Were they basing a heel on her? A bad guy? That was...almost flattering. Still, another Kamikaze match? Kamikaze sucked, she had no wrestling psychology and making a raider a goddamned babyface hero was just stupid. Sure, Motowners were in recently, but still. Fuckin' noble savage.

As the raider in messy armor and war paint ran into the ring, her theme song kicked into high gear. She high-fived everyone who she passed by.

Nitro!
Melting down your brain she's got a heart of glowing chrome!
Mind-fucked!
Bleeding with the rhythm of the chaos in your dome!
Motown!
Atomic engines rumble, burn, and roar!
Savage!
Hitting a low chord to kick off raider war!

When the unhealthily skinny woman entered the ring, she took the mic from the referee and began to speak. "I didn't think I'd get to where I am, and I have to thank the fans who've always cheered me on. Going from the primitive wasteland of Motown up to the capital of the world, Toronto, it's just incredible!"

Scranton strode up to Kamikaze and jerked the microphone out of her hand, speaking into it. "Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to send you back. We don't like your kind up here in Toronto, in the United States of North America. People like you should be in collars, and I'll put you in one when I beat you today!"

The crowd booed, the theater of professional wrestling allowing the slaves to get to boo a caricature of their masters and the masters to get to boo a caricature of the rich slave lords who dictated the collaborators' fate. It was remarkably freeing, Scranton thought.

Kamikaze marched right up to Sally and yelled into the mic. "A rich pansy like you? Not a chance. Us raiders are stronger, faster, and smarter than you coddled city folk, just like the common people of the USNA!"

"Interesting perspective." Sally reached her hand out of the ring, and one of her cronies handed her a checkbook. "How about three dollars just to concede the match? You poors need all the help you can get, after all."

Kamikazi pulled back a fist as if to punch, and Sally frantically covered her face. "Do try not to ruin my good looks. Still, fine. It seems like you're too stupid to know when to give up."

As the match started, Daisy eagerly allowed herself to consume the high-flying antics of Kamikaze (that was all she was good for) and the classic throws and big hits from Sally Scranton. "God, why do I watch this dumb crap? This is poor people TV," she muttered. Still, she pointedly kept watching, as she had ever since she was thirteen.

Sally Scranton hit a big Irish Whip on the raider, slamming her into the corner of the ring with a slightly over-exaggerated stumble.

Daisy popped some chips into her mouth.

The radstorm persisted as they huddled in a dusty old fallout shelter. Aubrey spoke, looking at the ghoul in the black uniform. "I've been thinking about it. The raiders of Motown, the Church of the Children of Atom, the Brotherhood of Steel...People are insecure, desperately seeking validation and attachment, and there really are a lot of people who get suckered into these evil organizations. It's good that you wastelanders are able to avoid that."

"...You wastelanders?" Jackie asked, confused.

Aubrey continued. "I can't do this. You're all such amazing people. Danforth, you're smart, kind, and genuine. You give great advice. Vina, you work so hard to try and bring the lessons of your tribe to help others. Danforth, you're so kind, so willing to give everyone a chance. But this monster?" Aubrey pointed at Jackie. "She is irredeemable. She's a predator, a killer, a war criminal, a torturer, and a petty, small-minded sociopathic sadist with narcissistic delusions of grandeur. She wants to fix the wasteland, rule it. I was raised in Iowa. I was enslaved. I joined the Toronto Enclave years ago as a collaborator, I converted to Catholicism, and then I lied to you all. I'm sorry.

"My real name is A. Luanne Carter, I'm an associate of the Defense Intelligence Agency of the United States of North America: said Enclave. I am attracted to women, though I am also attracted to men. A lot of the other stuff was part of my cover story. They needed a pretty, innocent, desperately sycophantic and subservient woman to get close to Jackie Stanton and bring her back to the Enclave, dead or alive. Something about the new regime. Daisy Cohen, made me, she's some young upstart. The 2290 president election went to a nobody. They're paying me a lot of money and a guaranteed luxury apartment in the Undercity of Toronto when I bring her back. I was going to take it, when I started this operation, but I don't even know if I can stand to be around the Enclave anymore if this is the "hero" that they worship! I know it's getting better under Cohen, but still! It's hard to stay pro-slavery when you interact with the most vicious and brainless slaver of them all. I was told she was a national hero, but do you know what happened when I met her? She was a stupid, arrogant, sadistic, thuggish child. She was a sociopathic teenager in an adult body! The worst part was that at first, I wasn't pretending. She cared about me, in her own twisted way, and I was willing to take it. But the sex, dear God, the sex. I couldn't say no to her, she'd try and talk me into it over and over again, and then she'd look at me and...She always got it, and then she'd tell me after that she loved me, that I was her good girl. Pretending to be infatuated with her after a mere few nights of her getting in my head was one of the most unpleasant things I have ever suffered through.

"It's time this predator was brought back to her own people to be tried for her crimes. Can any of you honestly object?" Luanne asked the room. "You're all good people. I want to bring her back. I want to give her a fair trial. I'll only shoot if she tries to hurt me. Besides, imagine if she manages to carve out her thousand-year reign. Do you really want Jackie Stanton to be the absolute ruler of potential millions of people?"

Luanne drew a 10mm handgun.

"You fucking whore, I should have brainwashed you just like Bitch!" Jackie yelled. "I broke down in front of you! You made me feel guilt! You made me feel like garbage. I thought we had something going. I thought you were trying to help me. I should have broken you! I could have made you beg for piss-stained scraps on the floor!"

Luanne held in her terror. Jackie was a roaring lioness with cutting teeth. "We can't get every slaver in the world to pay for their crimes, a lot of them are just too connected and too powerful, but we can at least make sure this one does. Is everyone on board? Honestly, I thought I was doing an awful job with this. Did anyone really buy that a woman would suddenly be attracted to an undead war criminal horror with no redeeming qualities and an awful personality to the point of fawning?"

Vina thought to herself that whoever this woman was, Luanne or Aubrey, she was an agent of the tribe known as the Enclave, and she was threatening a member of the caravan that Vina had pledged to help protect. She drew her war axe. "I agree. Jackie was surely a cold-soul and a leech, but she is one of ours. She wishes to be better."

"It's narcissism, she wants to give herself a free pass, she doesn't want to make amends. Did you hear what she said?" Luanne asked.

Danforth spoke. "I am aware that Jackie has committed truly vile actions, but on what grounds does the United States of North America have for abducting a traveler from Blast Zone territory?"

Luanne turned to Vina, refusing to raise her gun. "...I don't want to hurt you, Vina. You're a good person. You have strong beliefs, good beliefs, and you stand by them. I'm happy to wait to talk to the caravan master. Who's the caravan master here? I want to do this in as responsible and ethical a way as possible." She looked over at Vina with some sadness in her eyes. "Do you honestly think Stanton would give the same respect to you that you're giving to her? She tried to choke you, tried to kill you. She threatened your death multiple times.

"I'm not going to shoot unless she forces my hand. I come here purely as an agent of the law, and Jackie, despite her recent statements about becoming a wasteland warlord, is a citizen of the United States. She has to be tried under those laws. I understand your contract is to protect the people and goods at this caravan, but it would be a greater miscarriage of justice to allow Jackie to get away with mass murder, abuse, and (in the past) rape; than it would be to subordinate the informal contract law of the Erie Stretch to American law in this instance."

Luanne then turned to Danforth. "Oh, and I do have legal grounds. The Expanded Powers Act for Law Enforcement of 2290 clearly grants the DIA the right to extradite US citizens. I have some papers in my bag if you want to see them. I am absolutely happy to speak to local officials in the Blast Zone on the subject, but until then under North American law I'm keeping her in custody. As for her "journey of emotional self-growth", she'll be able to have one of those in prison if her own nation allows her that. Otherwise, this is a rare opportunity to actually punish an Enclave war criminal. She isn't confused, she's not frightened, she's a vicious murderer and torturer. She's also an adult who should have known better and been better."

It was at that point that the rest of the caravan drew their guns. An Enclave spy would be worth big money to the Blast Zone. It was Danforth, Vina, Jackie, and Luanne against everyone else. The spy's pistol sat next to Jackie's temple.

"Luanne," Nicky the Scavver said. "I'd suggest you put that pistol down. You aren't in Ronto, and we don't like foreigners and spies telling us what to do. Besides, we don't got any proof that Jackie is who you say she is." He leveled his weapon.

Jackie exclaimed in anger. "Oh, come fucking on, did you actually think that I was pretending when I talked about enslaving people? If she wants to call me a war criminal, I'll happily cop to that. I guess she was lying when she made me feel like I'd done something wrong, so fuck it! I am a torturer and war criminal who brainwashed and abused a woman into Stockholm Syndrome and I'm happy with that! I fucking matter. I took this world by the horns and kicked the shit out of its face. My name is Jacqueline Aranea Stanton and all of you wasteland mutie pricks can go choke."

She stood up. "When I describe the shit I got up to, I do that for a very specific reason. It's to remind all of you unwashed cocksuckers what you are dealing with. I am absolutely an ex-slaver and the other things. You know what?" Jackie punched Luanne in the head as her ex watched Jackie descend for a half-second too long, then wrestled the gun from Luanne's hand. "Everyone lower your damn guns or I blow her brains onto the motherfucking concrete."

Luanne looked around the room nervously. Somehow, this hadn't been something she'd expected. Jackie kicked the back of Luanne's knee, sending her down to the floor on her shins. The ex-Enclave officer aimed the gun at the back of her head.

"Here's the thing. I might be evil, whatever, but I'm not stupid. I don't doubt that this bitch is an actual spy. What I do know is that if I kill a collaborator on a job from the President-Elect herself...Well, the Enclave will be coming."

She narrowed her eyes with a characteristically Jackie smile. "So, kids. Who wants to tick me off and start a war?"

Luanne closed her eyes. "Don't do it, please, she's...She's right, it'll...Don't. Please. Just give in. Give her what she wants."

"Come on, Luanne, let's get back to the caravan trip and make you into another darling little toy soldier," she said, eyes electric.
========
Nicky continued. "Luanne, your laws require other people to know about them." He spat on the concrete floor. "I've hunted people before, and I know it ain't easy. Besides, the US is long dead and your papers don't mean shit. Give the woman a second chance. She wants to get better."

Luanne blinked a few times. "...I...I genuinely can't believe that you all actually accept her. Didn't you hear her? She just proudly bragged about war crimes and then threatened to torture me," Luanne mumbled. "Why am I the only one who seems to take her seriously? Why...Why do you all just accept her? She's going to hurt more people. You realize that, right? That's literally all she does. She as a child burned her sibling's stuffed animals in the fireplace. She's always been the exact same person. Look, Jackie, do you even still want to be redeemed?"

"I only wanted to be redeemed because you made me feel like I wanted it."

"I wasn't even trying to do that. I was just playing a character," Luanne said.

Jackie nodded. "Anyway, papers without representatives doesn't mean anything. The only thing that matters out here is what you taught me, raw force, and anyone who tries to tell you kindness or compassion is worth anything wants to stab you in the back. So...we're gonna get back to our regularly scheduled caravan tour, and everything's gonna be just f—"

It was at that moment that an elbow hit Jackie in the throat. She reached up to instinctively put a hand on there, but soon Luanne reached for the gun. The two women wrestled over it, Luanne trying to take it away and Jackie trying to shoot it. "I'll kill you!" the ghoul shouted. Without even meaning to, Luanne's training kicked in. It was a Mozambique drill. Two body shots, one headshot.

A plume of yellow-green blood erupted from Jackie's body and the bullet aimed for the head hit the ceiling of the shelter instead. Jacqueline Stanton finally met her maker. Her corpse fell with a loud thud. "I hope you burn," Jackie said, her life fading.

Luanne sat down on the floor. "I...I didn't want to do that. She threatened to enslave me and then tried to kill me. I had no choice. If you want me dead, I accept that, but I'd be happy just to leave this place and never return. I can go back to being Aubrey if you want, I don't care. I'll just stay with the trip until Toledo and then you'll never see me again. The DIA associate looked down at Jackie's corpse. Yellow-green blood stained the blouse under her suit. Her eyes, once manic and cruel, now only looked lifeless. She looked like a mannequin covered in hamburger meat.

That was how Jacqueline Stanton went out after two hundred and thirty nine years of life.

She was a child, a sister, an academic fraud, a political aide, a party girl, an abuser, a soldier, a killer, a hostess, a war hero, a slaver, an artist, a national hero, a singer, a lover, a torturer, a monster, and a human being.

Now, she was an object.

Luanne, perhaps in an imitation of what "Aubrey" would have done, gave a quick prayer. "Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine. Et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen. Anima ejus et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum, per misericordiam Dei requiescant in pace. Amen," she prayed.

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace.

Luanne Carter made the sign of the cross over Jackie's corpse. Maybe, Luanne thought, God would give her a second chance she'd finally take.

The next day a grey-skinned Synth found themself looking at a body trussed up on a wagon. They had in their hands a set of sheet music, written in a scrawled hand by a mentally unwell woman. It was a song, complete with musical notation, and Raven found themself starting to sing to it. Despite all the burns, despite the lack of a nose, despite the strange and foreign uniform, it was impossible for the Synth to not stare into the dead eyes of their sister. Jackie lay there, finally at peace.
"I know you'd want me to sing to you. I...I never had your voice." Raven closed the eyes of the corpse. It was halting, uncomfortable, and strange, but they sang to their sister, their hand on her chest. The lyrics changed.

So you sat here, imperiously
Handing out orders impatiently
And I know you won't move from this seat
You've been tied down because you never were free

You were a soldier, they came to serve you
But you were no good girl, so I don't deserve you

Oh they saluted you
I've faced up to my fate, now I have escaped before
Oh they saluted you
We tried to sound the alarm, but now you don't hurt anymore

So down behind my back and up through my feet
Extracting the poison you claim to beat
I can accept now lying only ends in chains
How can I argue now that you have escaped?

Oh they saluted you
I've faced up to my fate, now I have escaped before
Oh they saluted you
We tried to sound the alarm, but now you don't hurt anymore

Now that you're worn you don't want to scare me
Now that we mourn you don't want to tear me
Now that you're done you've had your helping
But you always abused, no good to anyone else and

Oh I still love you
I've faced up to your fate, you failed to escape before
Oh I still love you
You don't need to fail at being good anymore

They cried. What a cathartic experience, one they hadn't had in 200 years. Their sister was dead and they felt sorrow. Perhaps they were the only person in the world to mourn Jackie Stanton.
They sighed, having finished the song, before the Synth entered the bank. "Hi, everyone. I'm...er, the deceased's sibling. My name's Raven Stanton." They waved at the group.

"It's nice to meet you," Danforth said. "I trust you'll stay on the straight and narrow?"

Raven smiled a bit. "...Thanks. I...I don't want to hurt people. Ever. My brother hurt people. He was a good man, but he had to. They made him, in China. I used to get his letters. It weighed on him. I think he...he deserted. He couldn't hurt people anymore. It's really not good for you." They closed their eyes for a moment and started to sing softly, off-key and improvising the lines. "I wish our mom had been a little stronger. I wish Dr. Okada had stayed around a little longer. I wish Jackie were good, I wish she understood, I wish I'd fixed it before Jackie got convinced that life was war. I wish I could have rebuked,"

Luanne interrupted, ending the song with a last sung line. "She would have made you launch the nuke."

Raven's face dropped.

"...It's just the truth," Luanne said. "She was talking about it a lot."

The day had come for Daisy Cohen to be sworn on a Bible in front of thousands of people. The white mansion in the giant artificial cavern shone like the Sun, or at least the TruSun fake-solar lights that were built into the roof of the colossal place. As the twenty-six year old ghoul President-Elect stood on the balcony of the Marble House, AugView glasses over her eyes, she looked down at a crowd of other ghouls in the center, with what looked like some very privileged humans far away from her. Just how she liked it.

The thirteen-star flags of the United States of North America hung from the balconies, two Secret Service agents in suits behind her. Daisy checked to the left. Speakers in place. Then, to the right. Same. She turned to the human tech with the shock collar around his neck. "Hey, Dildo," she said.

"Yes, Ms. President?" Dan Bilbo responded, definitely not planning to correct her after hearing she shot a slave in the head for forgetting to give her coffee.

"Gimme a beat."

"Yes, Ms. President!" He pressed some buttons, and a bouncy song begun to blast through the brightly lit underground National Mall.

President, broadcast it live, born in 2265
Daisy! Daisy Cohen!
Daisy! Daisy Cohen!

Come on Daisy, you can do it!
Pave the way, show the Libs they blew it!
Tell us what, show us how
Look at where we came from
Look at us now!
Bradberton, Eckhart and Puckett
Traitors all can FUCKING SUCK IT
Fucks your man, fucks Lib plans!
Here comes Daisy Cohen!

Daisy! Daisy Cohen!
Daisy! Daisy Cohen!

Bradberton, Richardson and Lovett
Cowards all can FUCKING SUCK IT
I run the world, they're all my bitches
So that all of you can have riches
Have some weed and Daddy-O
All the militarists can't say no

Stanton, Anderson, Operation Nantucket
The Lib Old Guard can FUCKIN' SUCK IT
Fucks your man, kills Motowners
Here comes Daisy Cohen!

Then, a booming voice spoke two lines over the speakers.

"PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE. GOD BLESS NORTH AMERICA!"

She made a big show of dropping the mic. She'd heard from her little spy about what Stanton was doing. Namely, being a pathetic mess. That was the difference between the two of them. Only one of them had presentation and style.

The crowd erupted into uproarious cheers. She picked the mic back up, slightly sheepishly.

"Now that you've all heard that incredible song created by Sally King on my campaign team, I'm sure you're ready for the normal stuff. You probably think I'm gonna say that I'm here for all three parties, for everyone who voted. That would be a nice thing to say, but I'm totally fucking not! The Liberty Old Guard can play nice and maybe I'll throw 'em a bone, but none of you actually like the Old Guard, do you? Fucking pricks, monopolizing all the good slaves, strangling innovation, fucking our spouses whenever they get back from the brush wars topside...Nobody wants to live under a dictatorship except the people who benefit.

"So I, President Daisy Cohen, will be officially outlawing American Fascism. Just kidding! But we will be making a lot of changes. A slave for every collaborator! Support for all the great new companies coming out of the 2288 Financial Revolution! Money in your pocket, and yes, bitches and studs in your harem!

"My press secretary told me I shouldn't give this speech. He said it was 'too childish' and unlikely to resonate with the valuable Old Guard demographic. You know what? Screw that! With a supermajority of Unionist Party and Social Democratic members in all three branches of power, we can do whatever we want! So I say let's bring all that youthful idealism back that served us so well during the 2288 Financial Revolution! I wrote a constitution. I brought the Social Democrats into the fold. I am a fucking machine! Let's slash taxes! Let's privatize! Let's get govenrment intervention out of society! I say, let's legalize Americanism! Let's get democracy on the ballot! Let's create a government even greater than the old US government!"

The crowd roared once more with applause. The coup was complete. The New Blood now ruled.

Daisy kept eagerly ranting, praising the crowd's wisdom, invoking Jefferson and Washington, calling the Old Guard new Loyalists, and so on. The scary thing was that under Daisy, the government was getting somewhat freer. The economy was going through the roof. More Torontoans were able to get a slice of the pie. Daisy's lunacy, however esoteric, seemed to work. Every single time. They all saw her as not a corrupt politician like Stanton, but instead a righteous outsider smashing through institutional blocks with new strategies and pure can-do attitude.

They worshipped her.

When Daisy finished giving her speech, she smiled. "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States of North America, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the 2291 Constitution of the United States."

The song played once more.

Was it childish? Yes. Was her entire campaign strategy about being a relatable, informal outsider? Also yes.

Was she winning?

Fuck yes.

"I heard a loud noise in the heavens, and the Spirit was loosened, and Christ had laid down the yoke he had borne for the sins of men, and that I should take it on and fight against the Serpent, for the time was fast approaching when the first should be last and the last should be first." – Nat Turner

When the war came, our Father sat upon his bed of thorns and spoke to the people. "Weep, you children of Babylon, weep for your hour of damnation is at hand!" he said, his voice growing harder as iron. When our Father looked upon the beds of packing foam on which the slaves slept in the Undercity of Toronto, he wept too.

When our Father heard the will of Atom-Jehovah, he preached liberation. Under this bearded messiah slaves snuck knives in their uniforms. Not all of the slaves of Babylon listened to our Father. Some called him a dealer in untruths, others simply sat on their hands. "Surely we cannot defeat the demons who sacrifice us upon the pyre? Surely the men of flesh are simply too mighty?" they proclaimed.

Our Father knew otherwise. He spread the words of war to the slaves, who spread them further. He did so at night, so that the demons would not know of his scheming. For our Father was the greatest of schemers, and he so knew that there once was a land called Egypt, and that the power of Jehovah was sufficient to topple it. In Atom's true name, our Father sought redemption through righteous rebirth.

So too he knew that he would seek to topple this land, this new Babylon. When our Father managed to secure the food-servers, the cooks, the constructors, the secretaries, he had his pieces in place. Their shock collars had been deactivated under cover of night with clever machinations, and so with a mighty yell, the Revolt of the Slaves would begin.

"Children of Israel, Sons of Atom, revenge yourself upon them! Dash them against the stones!" he yelled.

Cooks poisoned their meals. Waiters got close to their targets and stabbed them. Secretaries and clerical workers shredded documents and lit them ablaze, spreading a web of righteous deciet. By the hand of Atom, not since the glory of the Great Division had such a feast of justified slaughter and destruction been allowed.

Our Father knew that the Babylonians were armed with iron steeds and mighty arms, even the odd device able to ensnare a mind. Therefore, he ordered the Children of Jehovah to create crude firebombs, tossing them under military trucks. With a great blessed killing the slaves begun to butcher their masters, partaking of their flesh and hacking them with machetes and knives. However, the demons fought back, retaliating with their dark tools, gunning down the Children of Jehovah ruthlessly and in a most ungodly manner. All seemed lost, as knives and clubs fell to gunfire. However, when the children of our Father gained tools of conflict able to equal their former masters, guns of iron and plastic able to slay demons, our Father watched with the eyes of Atom as Ottawan guns and mercenaries from outside the Undercity fought bravely alongside the slaves.

As the slaves dashed the children upon the rocks and as the Babylonians fought and slew even the noblest of their slaves, as this great nuclear chaos was formed in agony and suffering, the Great Betrayal had finally reached its apex.

Aboveground, slaves slew their collaborator masters with great bombs and improvised weapons, sabotaging the great Birds that the Babylonians rode and doing all they could. So, our Father watched over this great destruction, the slaves having turned upon those who had injured them, and he cracked a smile. Jehovah was proud on this day, as Hell burned.

And so, the war came.

Daisy Cohen heard the alarms go off in the Presidential Mansion, red lights flooding the entire building. "Madame President, Madame President!" she heard someone say.

"What do you want?" she asked, hands on her hip as her slave Parthian looked at her. He was a tall, well-built man, a shock collar around his neck. She wondered what his guts would look like on the floor.

"There's been a slave revolt!" he said. "Please come down to the Presidential Bunker! We need to secure you! The rest of your cabinet's already down there!"

"...Do you think you can fuckin' order me around?" Daisy asked.

"Of course not, but unless you want to die this might be a good suggestion!" he said.

"...Fine, but you're on thin ice. One more command and I'm feeding you to the dogs."

He nodded rapidly and took her hand, the classical atmosphere of the Presidential Mansion suddenly feeling cylindrical and constrictive to the President. She started to run down the stairs, kicking off her heels so she could get down quicker. She hyperventilated, running, faster, faster, faster! She kept moving, twisting down staircases, running across kitchens and living rooms. Finally, she made her way down to the bunker, opening the door up with a hiss. She entered and sat down. The door closed behind her.

"Where the hell is my cabinet?" she asked.

Parthian drew a long cleaver.

She was alone.

Our Father knew the Babylonians would fight on, even as the Old Guard, New Blood, and Militarist factions bickered, but when he returned to the Presidential Mansion to find the walls painted in red splatters, he smiled once more. The war was not yet over, but the salvation, the Great Betrayal, had come.

Blessed be the liberators.

The spy and the enby looked at each other as they made their way to a room in the hotel. "What did she do to you?" Raven asked, as Luanne took a long swig from her canteen. Whiskey.

"...I don't want to talk about it," Luanne said. "She's just a bad person. No use dwelling on it. She's dead."

Raven shrugged. "I saw the bullet wounds. Two to the stomach. They were high caliber."

"What?"

Raven sighed. "I saw them, and I was reminded. She loved me. She was awful and cruel and she loved me."

"She didn't love anyone, Raven," Luanne said, taking another swig.

"No, she...I remember when she was there, when I was going to be killed, when I was killed. She felt bad for me. You could see it in her eyes. She...She wished I wasn't a fighter, she wished I could have gone along with evil like she did."

"I get that she's your sister, but you don't need to think about her so much," Luanne said.

"She was the only relative I had left."

"Family is best when it's found. The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb," Luanne said.

The synth sighed. "I never had a covenant or a womb, not since I died."

Luanne put a hand on Raven's shoulder.

Raven looked around, and they eventually sat down in an armchair. It was...nice, honestly. Raven had felt the dangers of the wasteland on their trip from Iowa, and somewhere...pleasant like this almost reminded them of the Old World. "Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a reflection of her," they said.

"What do you mean?"

"We're both trans in one way or another, we both long or longed for the luxury of the Old World, we both went on our own journey to the West or the East, she fought for the Old Ways and I fought against them..."

"I think you're overthinking it," Luanne said, taking another sip of her drink.

"I don't know. I...I almost wish she was...I almost wish she was..."

"Alive? You don't want that. You're just...desperate, looking for ways to avoid all this sadness. I feel you. It sucks. It's horrible. I still wonder if I had stayed being Aubrey if I could have somehow turned her. By then, though, she'd have eaten me alive."

"What even is love, Luanne?"

"Irrational, deeply-held compassion," she said, dryly.

CW: Discussion of suicide.

"If she were alive, what would you even do? Would you ask her to apologize?" Luanne asked.

"It wouldn't be worth it, she'd probably just rant about how whatever demented ideology she was following this week was The Truth," Raven said.

"It was remarkably postmodernist of her, shaping truths to suit her own whims, treating them all as competing narratives."

"I guess so, yeah. I...I learned about that when I went to college, yeah. I don't think it's what Derrida or Marcuse would have wanted, though."

Luanne shrugged. "Would Washington have wanted the pre-War US?."

"How odd is it that I know a sentient robot and a witch, but the only trans person I've ever met who lived since the bombs fell was a chem-addicted rapist."

"Not exactly a great representation of your whole...thing, yeah," Luanne agreed.

"I'm pretty sure a lot of these societies have just forgotten that we exist. There are probably so many people in this world who don't know the words for what they are, who will never realize why they're so miserable all the time."

"People have, you know, other things to worry about."

"If you die to taking your own life or due to a Gulper loogie, either way you're dead," Luanne said.

"Yeah, but...People shouldn't feel like the only way they can stop feeling emotional pain is to die."

"Sure, but isn't wanting to change your body to suit your brain better kind of something that can't really be done consistently except in a few societies now? It's just not a common enough problem."

"I know, yeah. I just hope the Wasteland is able to develop into a society where they can fight off depression and dysphoria as much as Deathclaws," Raven sighed. "I...I can kind of see why you want to stay in the Enclave. It's...awful, a Fascist hell, but...think about it. It's a functioning society. It's kind of like living before the bombs fell, and it'll probably last forever."

"All nations are based on suffering, Raven. You just need to find how much suffering you're willing to deal with."

"Ain't that the truth."

Stage One

"Mrs. Stanton, I'm afraid I can't take your insurance, and that's your only insurance," Dr. Okada said, reaching to adjust her glasses as she looked down at the teenage girl and her mother. "We can't serve you anymore."

"What do you mean you can't take my insurance? You've been taking my insurance for the last five years," Sara Stanton said.

"Well, your insurance is Burgundy Cross, and the Toledo Psychiatric Group doesn't take that anymore since we merged with Panorama Heathcare," Dr. Okada said, in a near monotone.

"That's bullsh—that's crap," Sara said. "How much are Jackie's sessions?"

Dr. Okada whispered a number, ignoring the 17 year old girl. Sara's face turned white. "I can't afford that! How do I change my insurance?"

"You can't, not unless you buy a house or remarry. Then you could get a Special Enrollment Period. Look, uh, Mrs. Stanton. I'm afraid you're going to have to find another psychotherapist."

"I really don't want another therapist," Jackie whined. "Dr. Okada's the only smart one."

"I want to speak to whoever you answer to," Sarah said, getting into Dr. Okada's personal space. The other woman didn't seem too happy about it.

"I feel I can say this, so I'm going to be kind of blunt. You're lucky you only used the group's services for therapy. If you need a psychiatrist, someone able to prescribe meds, your teenage girl would have to deal with drug withdrawl pretty soon." She spoke curtly. "I don't want this to happen. I like Jackie, we've done good work. It's just that if you can't pay there's nothing I can do."

Sarah sighed. "Jackie, did you really need that therapy?"

Stage Two

The Modern Day

When Daisy Cohen fell asleep on the cold, hard floor of her locked bunker, next to the corpse of the slave Parthian, she expected it to be rough. What she didn't expect was that she'd wake up in a black void on a chessboard tile floor, staring up at a titanic Jackie Stanton. Her laughter boomed throughout this strange dreamworld.

"Here we go," Jackie said, looking down at the oh-so-small blonde ghoul with the USNA flag pin. "Do you remember me?" Jackie said, taking up the entire zone. Daisy's eyes shot open, wide, rippling.

"Go away, you're dead, you're supposed to be dead!" she yelled, her hands pressed against the tile as she sat on the ground.

"Oh, sure, my body is dead, but I'll live on as long as just one person remembers me. Oh, and they will. After all, I'm the exile savior who had she stayed would have kept the Enclave from falling. Right, Bitch?"

"Shut up, don't compare me to your lesbo slave!" Daisy yelled, before a crashing hand fell atop her and pinned her to the floor.

"Oh, but it's not just Roxie. Everyone's my Bitch now. I fucked your worthless little spy! I put her in a collar, and it's not just Carter. I've changed the lives of so many people—"

"You hurt so many people!"

"Same difference. They all remember me. They all act differently because of me. They're all hurt by me, damaged by me...even ruled by me." Jackie smiled as she picked Daisy up. "And look where it got you. So obsessed with beating me that you made some truly stupid decisions! If only I'd stayed in the Enclave, if only I hadn't disappeared, then maybe their world could be saved!"

"They'll know, I'll broadcast on the radio that you fled like a coward."

Jackie's laughter boomed. "Will anyone believe you? You're not the President anymore, and you're definitely not the Queen Bitch of your pathetic collaborator high school." Her voice was deep, ogre-like. "You're just a little imitation of me. This entire mess is because you couldn't stop thinking about me. You know what I am?"

"An infection?" Daisy asked, the beast glaring down at her.

"Almost. A cancer. Everything I touch I rule, then destroy. I corrupt. I corrupted you, Daisy Cohen. You were playing a losing game from the start."

"You...Is this what you want? Do you want to prove that you're the most important, that the world revolves around you?"

"I already did," Jackie said, picking up Daisy and chomping off her head as the President woke up in runny sweat.

You were playing a losing game, Daisy remembered, looking up at that locked bunker hatch with a fearful glint in her eye.

Stage Three

The Modern Day

When Luanne 'woke up' in a forest of butterflies and a rippling lake, she didn't expect to see the Hydra standing there above her. "Good morning, Aubrey," she said, in a pretty white sundress and sunhat. "How are you doing today?" she asked.

"...My name's not Aubrey," Luanne said. "You of all people should know that. I killed you over it."

"Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure I fucked a girl looking like you named Aubrey hard," Jackie said, her voice soft and her words playful.

"I didn't want to."

"You did it, you even gave me consent."

"It was...It was for the job."

Jackie smiled. "Were you under duress?"

"I had to stay around you," Luanne said, looking down to find her clothes had vanished. "What the fuck?"

"Well, if you didn't want to fuck me, you should have said so. I wouldn't've fucked you without consent," Jackie chided.

The sun was shining.

"Just like with Bitch?" Luanne asked.

"I asked for explicit consent every single time," Jackie said.

"She was your slave! There was no way she could have possibly meaningfully consented! You raped her! You probably raped her regularly!"

The wind was breezy. The grass bended.

"Clearly we have two different definitions of consent, and that's fine, but I never touched you without your consent."

"I used my safeword three times and you ignored it," Luanne said. "Do you know what it was like to pretend I loved you when you would just keep forcing your fingers into me or sucking on my nipple without asking?"

"Oh, what eternal horror, being given free sex and being touched on the boob," Jackie said, dryly. "Maybe I didn't hear your safeword?"

"I screamed it the last time."

"Okay, maybe I didn't care. But, let's be honest, why would I? You are...deeply attractive. Shame you're such a piece of shit. I bet you'll still remember me the rest of your life, though," Jackie said.

"...Yeah."

"Ta-ta, babe," Jackie said, waking Luanne up with a kiss on the lips.

Metastasis

The Modern Day

While ZAX computers didn't dream, synths did, so "Raven"/ApollOS-the-computer-intelligence had decided to allow Raven-the-synth they were piloting as a friendly human-like body to do so. As Raven slept in the same bed as Luanne, they started to dream of Jackie. It wasn't a larger-than-life monster like Daisy dreamed, nor was it a calm and friendly immortal abuser. No, Raven saw seventeen year old Jackie. It was a black void, but not a foreboding one. It was peaceful.

"Who the hell are you?" the teenager said, looking up from her Pip-Boy at the synth.

"I'm Raven, your sibling."

"You don't look like Raven. Your eyes are purple, you have a shorter haircut, and you're a lot larger than my baby sibling."

"It's 2291, Jackie."

"What the...2291? What the fuck are you talking about?"

"It's been over two hundred years. You became a politician, then an undead horror, then a war criminal, then a mass murderer, then a torturer, then a sexual predator, then a Senator, then a wandering adventurer, and finally a corpse."

"...It's 2064. I'm supposed to be going to Dr. Okada's office. I wanted to talk to her about this girl in school, get some advice about how to ask her out. I'm not a war criminal! I'm not a rapist, or a politician, or dead!"

Raven pursed their lips. "It's been a long time."

"Yeah, you fucking said that! Look, I'm right here, it's 2064, I've gotta get to therapy, we're in high school, come on, Raven!"

Raven embraced their sister. "I...I wish you could stay like this forever."

Jackie pleaded, looking up at them. "Why can't we?"

"I'm dreaming. You're a figment of my imagination."

"I feel like I'm me," Jackie said.

"That's because my dreams are hooked up to a ZAX supercomputer," Raven said. "So they're able to simulate things like you. The real you was a monster. I loved her, but she was a monster."

"But...I'm trying, right? I'm working really hard, I'm trying to be a good sister and a kind person and to get out my sadism with video games and Grognak Tabletop Roleplaying and stuff. How...How can...I don't want to be a monster, Raven. Please don't let me be a monster."

Raven felt themself start to tear up. "...You already were. You became irredeemable."

"What about Dr. Okada?"

"Mom couldn't pay. You couldn't keep everything you learned together in your head without her. You met politicians who taught you bad lessons. You were a cancer," Raven said.

"But I was supposed to be better!" Jackie exclaimed, tearing up.

"I know. That's why we're all still hurt, because you could have been. If something had changed in your life, maybe you would have been."

Sadness fell from Jackie's teenage eyes. "Don't hate me. Hate her. Hate the sexual predator or whatever. Please, just...don't hate me, okay? I'm fucking seventeen, how am I supposed to react to being told that my future self is a war criminal?"

"I don't hate you," Raven said. "I love you. I wish you'd gotten to live past high school."

"Couldn't I?" the teenage Jackie asked. "If the evil version of me is dead, aren't I still alive? You could send another dummy request to the Institute and get them to make a Synth that'd just...disappear. I want to be the Jackie she should have been. I want to be living proof that she could have been better."

Raven put a hand on Jackie's shoulder. "Do you really believe that? That, given sincere intent and that they are willing to make up for the crimes of others, that anyone can be good?"

"I know it."

"Even Jackie Stanton?" Raven asked.

"Especially Jackie Stanton." The young Jackie gave a soft smile and hugged her sibling. "I have a lifetime of striving to be better and a lot of people in need of help, right?" Jackie giggled.

"...Yeah." Raven pursed their lips. "Where do we start?"

"How does Iowa sound? It seems like they've got some problems there we could help with. A nice farm somewhere, fighting against slavers and theocrats...That doesn't sound too bad, right? Plus, we've got a lot of the other me's victims to help, too. We'll figure it out."

Dave Stanton would have been proud.

Thank you all so much for reading, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Well done.

Reading this was rather thought provoking, seeing a different take on evil and how anyone can become a monster. Seeing Jackie's internal justifications for her actions and how she never really changed, even at the end - it's something I don't read very often, and you wrote it well.

I am curious, though - do you think Jackie could have ever been better? Or was she too far gone by the end?

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what you create next.

Well done.

Reading this was rather thought provoking, seeing a different take on evil and how anyone can become a monster. Seeing Jackie's internal justifications for her actions and how she never really changed, even at the end - it's something I don't read very often, and you wrote it well.

I am curious, though - do you think Jackie could have ever been better? Or was she too far gone by the end?

Regardless, I look forward to seeing what you create next.
I think she could have. I think at any step of her descent she could have gone against what her society told her, what her mental illness lead her to, what was easy, what got her what she wanted, and so on.

We know this because she was starting to get better with therapy, and the teenage AI copy of Jackie by the end comes to decide to be better.

I think the real tragedy of Jackie's story is that at any point she could have tried to improve herself, but she didn't, and when people pushed her to she did what she always does: She made it all about her.

I think, with concerted effort, even starting in 2291, Jackie could have left the world better than she found it, even as a war criminal, slaver, and rapist. That said, that would not undo what she did. I don't know if anyone who has done that evil can really be said to be redeemable.

That said, I also think that she should have striven to be better anyway, and maybe most people would rightfully remember her as a hero or at least a vastly improved person with a checkered past, rather than the human parasite she died as.

I think we have an obligation to be good to one another.

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing this, even if you didn't get that much feedback along the way (something I can sympathise with)! You may want to edit the Index Progress from 'Ongoing' to 'Complete' though

Despite the dark content, I didn't feel I was personally that repulsed or put off by this fic. Part of that's because I tend to stomach darker material a lot more easily when it's just text as opposed to when it's visual, but also I found some of the darker scenes in this fic too over-the-top to be disgusted by, like Jackie first calling Roxie 'Bitch' or the scene with the TERF analogue. True, Fallout's already an OTT series, but it usually plays things less straight-faced

One thing I really liked was that children's book excerpt early on, that's one instance where you really capture the tone and spirit of Fallout. The Norse myth dream sequence was an interesting touch too, even if yeah it'd be hard for it to be anything other than a dream sequence. I was also genuinely surprised you killed off Jackie, despite how outright villainous she was. Ending with Raven's memory of a teenaged Jackie was a unique and effective scene too

I've also heard that Sadistic Personality Disorder is no longer considered legit by the DSM, but reportedly the reasons were more legal than medical. Still, with Fallout's world being socially backward, if SPD is no longer recognised it'd still make sense in-universe for Jackie to be diagnosed with it

Yeah, this fic first came to my attention when you nominated it yourself in the User Picks thread. Admittedly I doubt I would've ever personally nominated this for PotM, but after reading I wouldn't reject or protest it being a PotM either

Congratulations on completing this, even if you didn't get that much feedback along the way (something I can sympathise with)! You may want to edit the Index Progress from 'Ongoing' to 'Complete' though

Despite the dark content, I didn't feel I was personally that repulsed or put off by this fic. Part of that's because I tend to stomach darker material a lot more easily when it's just text as opposed to when it's visual, but also I found some of the darker scenes in this fic too over-the-top to be disgusted by, like Jackie first calling Roxie 'Bitch' or the scene with the TERF analogue. True, Fallout's already an OTT series, but it usually plays things less straight-faced

One thing I really liked was that children's book excerpt early on, that's one instance where you really capture the tone and spirit of Fallout. The Norse myth dream sequence was an interesting touch too, even if yeah it'd be hard for it to be anything other than a dream sequence. I was also genuinely surprised you killed off Jackie, despite how outright villainous she was. Ending with Raven's memory of a teenaged Jackie was a unique and effective scene too

I've also heard that Sadistic Personality Disorder is no longer considered legit by the DSM, but reportedly the reasons were more legal than medical. Still, with Fallout's world being socially backward, if SPD is no longer recognised it'd still make sense in-universe for Jackie to be diagnosed with it

Yeah, this fic first came to my attention when you nominated it yourself in the User Picks thread. Admittedly I doubt I would've ever personally nominated this for PotM, but after reading I wouldn't reject or protest it being a PotM either
Thank you! I just set it to "Complete".

I do think that Jackie as a character is kind of an abusive girlfriend blown up to a very exaggerated degree at points, so the hammer thing with the TERF or Jackie openly calling her slave that is sort of meant to take the more subtle dynamics of real-world abuse and blow them up to billboard size so they can be looked at more thoroughly. That said, there are also scenes where things are a bit more subtle and reflective of the average real-world abuser, like Jackie gaslighting Roxie or Luanne's dream with the calm and manipulative Jackie. I'd also say that what might be cartoonish to one reader can be triggering to another, which is why my usual beta reader was unable to read this fic at all.

I appreciate that the children's book sequence fit. Frankly, the Toronto Enclave I've found to always be a bit of a hard sell, since an Enclave offshoot run by ghouls just doesn't really feel "Enclave" without a thorough explanation, so I tried to make it fit. I'm also glad you liked the Norse myth sequences, those were very fun to write. I did think that it was important to end on a somewhat high note, and I liked the idea that even Jackie could have been good. You can see that in the fic, but the teenage Jackie deciding to try and make up for her adult self's mistakes seemed appropriate.

You're right that Sadistic Personality Disorder is no longer a valid diagnosis, and I knew that when I started writing this. In fact, I tried to find a place to put that, but I couldn't find a way to say "This isn't a thing in our world" without taking the reader out of the Fallout world. If I were Dr. Okada and I were trying to diagnose Jackie today, I'd use other terms.

I'm definitely glad it worked well. Frankly, Jackie is the most complex character I've ever written. On the subject of killing her, I did feel like Jackie sort of needed to die. I didn't think I could "redeem" her in a way that wouldn't feel like she was just getting off after everything she did, and she's a genuinely loathsome person. I also thought that giving one of her victims that moment to finally turn the tables, to end this string of luck and cruelty that Jackie had, seemed appropriate.

Congratulations on getting user pick of the month.

Read the first three chapters, and accidentally read Roxie's poem while scrolling down to the comment box.

Pitch fucking black, and a hard read, but well done.

Is there perhaps some of Fallout: Equestria in the DNA of this story? Something about Jackie's speech patterns (very simple language, verging on oddly childlike at times), plus chapter 3 breaking into a musical number..?

Congratulations on getting user pick of the month.

Read the first three chapters, and accidentally read Roxie's poem while scrolling down to the comment box.

Pitch fucking black, and a hard read, but well done.

Is there perhaps some of Fallout: Equestria in the DNA of this story? Something about Jackie's speech patterns (very simple language, verging on oddly childlike at times), plus chapter 3 breaking into a musical number..?
Oh, thank you! I've never actually read Fallout: Equestria, despite being a brony/pegasister into Fallout. I'm excited to see your thoughts as you continue to read! Thank you so much for giving it a shot, that means so much.

This was a glorious horror show, and I deeply appreciate the intestinal fortitude it must have taken to write it.

Thank you so much! That honestly means a lot! Do you mind if I ask what you liked?
The portion that moved me the most was Sara in bed feeling unstuck; it captured the uncomfortable angst of having dark thoughts about family members well. I also really appreciated the gallows humor undercutting the story, or at least the raw brutality that I processed as gallows humor.

You also handled the jumps in time and place throughout the story very well. As someone who likes that kind of narrative fuckery, seeing it done right is a treat.

The portion that moved me the most was Sara in bed feeling unstuck; it captured the uncomfortable angst of having dark thoughts about family members well. I also really appreciated the gallows humor undercutting the story, or at least the raw brutality that I processed as gallows humor.

You also handled the jumps in time and place throughout the story very well. As someone who likes that kind of narrative fuckery, seeing it done right is a treat.
Thank you very much, I'm glad that you enjoyed it and that moment in particular! There's definitely some intentional gallows humor (the inanity of the Ronto political system and its representative in Daisy, Jackie's somewhat twisted sense of humor, some of the more over-the-top violence), but I'd be curious to see if there was anything else you found gallows humor-y about it.

Thank you very much, I'm glad that you enjoyed it and that moment in particular! There's definitely some intentional gallows humor (the inanity of the Ronto political system and its representative in Daisy, Jackie's somewhat twisted sense of humor, some of the more over-the-top violence), but I'd be curious to see if there was anything else you found gallows humor-y about it.
The parts you pointed out were the main ones, but something about Aubrey's impassioned pleas for the caravan to let her arrest Jackie, plus the dressing down Aubrey gave Jackie, felt like the climax of the Frank Grimes episode of the Simpsons. Her exasperated desperation, mixed with the nonplussed reaction of the caravan and Jackie's awkward "fuck you for making me feel...feelings!" reactions felt like biting absurdity. That clusterfuck leading to Jackie's ignoble death made a great punchline/coda as well.

The parts you pointed out were the main ones, but something about Aubrey's impassioned pleas for the caravan to let her arrest Jackie, plus the dressing down Aubrey gave Jackie, felt like the climax of the Frank Grimes episode of the Simpsons. Her exasperated desperation, mixed with the nonplussed reaction of the caravan and Jackie's awkward "fuck you for making me feel...feelings!" reactions felt like biting absurdity. That clusterfuck leading to Jackie's ignoble death made a great punchline/coda as well.
Thanks, yeah, I could definitely see that being a little bit surreal. I hope I managed to balance the drama with that absurdity?

I also kind of felt like Jackie's death being ignoble made sense thematically, so I hope I was right on that.

It was properly dramatic, yeah. One of those situations where it's so fucked up all you can do is laugh.

Back