It's not a big button of death. It's a big button of go fast.

And yes, red things do go faster, but red is more prominent as the color of murderdeathkill, and having two big red buttons would just confuse Faith, so concessions must be made. A shame, yes, but necessary.

Soooo, why not green (for the color of the button)? As in, the color of go go GO!

I mean, it's not like you have a color theme or anything.....
*sarcasm*

Last edited:
Big blue button...everyone knows Blue's the second fastest color (with red being the fastest). It is the color of Sonic's fur. *Chuckles*

Sorry, can't say that and keep a straight face.

What heresy is this?

How could you dare make your big button anything other than red?
I think that's the point. Red is too obvious.
It's not a big button of death. It's a big button of go fast.

And yes, red things do go faster, but red is more prominent as the color of murderdeathkill, and having two big red buttons would just confuse Faith, so concessions must be made. A shame, yes, but necessary.
This too.

Red is also the color of impatience, on top of Orky speed. So having it as the speed button makes a little bit more sense than for the volley fire.

Red is also the color of impatience, on top of Orky speed. So having it as the speed button makes a little bit more sense than for the volley fire.
Red is also the color of fire, blood (okay, not Orc one) and passion. And roses. Which means, the button to call the medical robs is red, too!

97 - Skirmish
97 - Skirmish

Aratoht was, simply put, a dusty red shithole. Heat and low air pressure forced the inhabitants to stay inside sealed biodomes, with the exception of a few skilled workers who operated out of mobile bases whilst they went around seeding the oceans with cyanobacteria.

The vast majority of the people on the planet were slaves, forced to dig away at the rich metal crust for resources the Hegemony could put to use in their industrial machine. The rest were wealthy slave owners, - who lived in penthouse apartments and partied away the nights with alcohol, expensive food, and Asari sex slaves, - and their immediate subordinates - shuttle pilots, security guards, and chefs.

Luckily for me, the legitimate military presence was rather low - only a single division planetside, who possessed, from what I could see, only a few dozen armoured vehicles, and a lackluster fleet of six frigates and three cruisers. I had to wonder if that was simply standard fare for the Hegemony's shitty planets they didn't care about or if there was something else going on.

They probably had decent reasons for it. Prior to Logasiri the NBR hadn't really struck any Hegemony world with an actual invasion force, and places like this crappy backwater were probably last on the list for reinforced garrisons. Not to mention how far it was from Logasiri and Lorek - even if it wasn't a strategically unimportant slave mining camp, it would probably still be low on the list just because of how far from the supposed 'front line' it was.

As much as you could define 'front lines' in a galaxy where travel routes were arbitrarily defined by Mass Relays and the Hegemony's territory was split up as it was in such an awkward and incohesive manner.

Or perhaps there was something going down inside the Kite's Nest that warranted the attention of a lot of their ships? Or maybe their military simply wasn't as big as it made out to be - given they had been described in canon as something of a paper tiger empire, that was possible.

Either way, the nine vessels that were hanging around Aratoht were holding in a similar pattern those above Logasiri had used - the cruisers hung close to the planet whilst the frigates, in two groups of three, performed somewhat longer-distance patrols.

I issued the Stealth Fabricator one last order before sending it to take shelter in a little cave it carved for itself amongst the mountains just north of Aratoht's one and only city.

My six vessels dropped out of Phase just four hundred kilometres from the first group of roaming frigates, and immediately dozens of Firefly Interceptor Drones disengaged from the cruisers, dashing towards the frigates at full throttle.

The Firefly drones were weak little things - very similar to the drones used in the FTLverse, with admittedly much greater technology under the hood. They were effectively unmanned fighters, designed to fulfill two roles - firstly, the decimation of enemy fighter craft with their lasers, which like GARDIAN arrays had none of the usual target-tracking issues against STL craft, and secondly, distracting the enemy's GARDIAN arrays, soaking up laser blasts with their 2-Layer Phase Shield.

It wouldn't protect them from sustained attack, but each drone requiring three shots in quick succession to destroy meant that the enemy could only target a third of the usual number of enemies before their weapons began overheating.

At which point I would break out the missiles.

The Hegemony frigates immediately took the bait, GARDIAN arrays swivelling to target the approaching drones as their engines flared, all three vessels immediately breaking away from combat to rally with their comrades. Although the drones were more than capable of taking the hits, I had each one activate its Phase Cloak if it came under fire, and the Batarian GARDIANS moved on, picking new targets as the frigates made their escape.

Thus conveniently confirming that the Batarians didn't have the sensor capacity to pick up my cloaking. I hadn't really expected them too, but, then again, better safe than sorry.

I could have done the same thing I'd done to the Logasiri fleet, and incapacitated them all with nanite bombs teleported halfway across the system, but this time, I wasn't going for subtlety. This attack, combined with the simultaneous raid of Lorek, was more about sending a message on the behalf of the NBR.

Which meant that flashy drone swarms and awesome-but-impractical EVA raids were the way to go. Given the intent was to embarrass the Hegemony either way, I figured I may as well do it in style.

I allowed the frigate group to distance themselves from my fleet, whilst I pointed my ships in the direction of Aratoht itself, engines on a low burn.

---

The frigate group I'd ambushed almost immediately jumped to FTL, reappearing on the far edge of the system. They then began to turn around, presumably so they could FTL closer to the planet and the rest of their allies.

Sneaky. But not sneaky enough.

The second group simply turned tail and fled - I was far enough away that they could escape without risking a counterattack.

My fleet made little effort to catch up with the retreating frigates, instead drifting slowly towards the planet itself, and I merely watched through the eyes of my avatar as the nine ships rallied around Aratoht, preparing to fight a battle they almost certainly knew they would lose.

Their cruisers were the first to open fire, a trio of golden streaks shooting across the void towards the FFV Sweet Autumn. The ship made no effort to dodge, and the mass accelerator rounds slammed violently into the ship's shimmering Phase Shield, whereupon they exploded harmlessly.

I chose not to return fire, even as the second and third volleys of mass accelerator rounds crossed the gap between us. The Sweet Autumn took the majority of the hits, but the frigates had instead begun to focus on her literal sister ship, FFV Skye Autumn, instead.

Both ships withered the assault without issue. Due to the rather binary nature of the Phase Shields, each shell knocked off only a single layer of protection, and the time between volleys was sufficient to regenerate at least one layer.

With a total of seventy four layers of shield on each ship, that meant a solid thirty six volleys would be required to down a single ship's shields.

Well, the Phase Shields. Then they had to get through the Kinetic Barriers and the Marauder Shields, neither of which were remotely as effective as the Phase Shields, and then the composite Elysion Alloy plating… they weren't destroying my fleet anytime soon.

I, on the other hand, had plenty enough firepower to plough through their weak Kinetic Barriers and shred apart their vessels, should I even desire to use kinetic weapons in the first place. The CLAWs would have been more than sufficient to shred them, after all.

But, alas, that wasn't part of the plan, so I ignored the hail of incoming cannon fire and continued drifting lazily towards the planet, thrusters still on minimum power.

The Fireflies, which had been slow-burning across the system using the cruisers as cover, now began to accelerate, crossing the six point five thousand kilometre gap as quickly as they were able, throwing themselves into barrel rolls, dives, and other random aerobatic maneuvers at high enough Gs to mulch humans.

As expected, the show was pointless, and every single one of the drones caught at least one laser burst from the Batarian point defense. Luckily, their shields protected them from significant damage, and none were destroyed, but a few marked themselves as requiring minor repair for thrusters and armour.

The moment the lasers hit, I once again had each and every targeted drone activate their Phase Cloak, and teleported a few piles of scrap metal into their place instead - from the Batarian's perspective, it would seem that each and every one of the targeted drones had been destroyed or mission killed instantly. The blue flash of the teleporter even worked to simulate the usually-orange explosions, almost.

Either way, it worked, because the Batarian's point defence network immediately settled back down, and my drone swarm advanced unopposed until they were less than a kilometre away from their targets.

Just as planned.

The drones continued their silent approach, like a school of piranhas closing in on their prey, and began circling the enemy vessels as I prepared the second stage of my not-so-diabolical plan.

As one, my entire fleet jumped to FTL, reappearing just a few hundred meters from the defending force.

And then my old Avatar Droids, new and improved with Covenant anti-grav and handheld plasma cutters, began swarming from the ship's airlocks, a handful of similarly equipped AeroAvatars following behind.

My abrupt arrival must have startled the Batarian forces - the even more abrupt decimation of their engines, their communications arrays, every single one of their GARDIAN arrays and a large majority of their mass driver cannons, even more so.

Especially at the hands of the drone swarm they'd just 'killed'.

By the time even a single Batarian ship had begun to react, pivoting on the spot and firing all available weapons into the protruding bridge of the FFV Charlotte Wray, it was far, far too late.

Avatar Droids carved through airlocks and obliterated windows, - the Geth had it right, they were structural weaknesses, - and within ten seconds each and every one of the defending vessels had been boarded.

The poor Batarians never stood a chance. The AeroAvatars began accessing internal computers and ship-wide networks, providing an avenue for my digital invasion, whilst the Avatar Droids made their way through the narrow corridors of the ships, subduing every crewman and marine they came across with tasers, stun staffs, and sleep darts.

Vented airlocks and forced hull breaches merely forced the droids to up the power of their flight packs slightly, and sealed blast doors were an issue only until a droid with a plasma cutter arrived and tore a hole in the reinforced plate.

Twenty five minutes after I'd arrived in system, I had assumed complete and total control over their fleet.

And so, as my new Batarian fleet, hastily upgraded with Phase FTL Drives, made its way back to Miranda for a full refit, I turned my attention planetside.

Luckily, Aratoht had only a single city, Ectah, nestled in a mountainous region near the sea, as well as two smaller outposts for the atmospheric engineers along the coast, and all three sites had already been visited by the Stealth Fabricator I'd sent ahead of my main force.

Because of that Fabricator, or more accurately the signal interceptors it had left in its wake, not one of the sites had received any messages from the Hegemony Fleet in the last half-hour. Which meant no one on the planet was currently aware of my presence.

There wasn't even the risk of some jerk with a telescope looking up and seeing me, since everyone lived in a nice, enclosed environment.

And that was going to absolutely suck for them.

Aided by the Jackson Whalebrook's enhanced sensors, a handful of stealth drones teleported inside the dome, granting me a near-perfect bird's eye view of the area.

Including a very sharp image of a guy throwing a party on the roof of his penthouse. Typical slaver, partying away his sorrows whilst hundreds of thousands of people slaved away in mines dozens of floors below.

Well. Can't have that.

Pro-Tip:

Never blow up the Penthouse. After all, its the Penthouse, and thus likely has one of the best views you're ever going to get of the surrounding area. Put a few easily fixable holes in the walls and/or have a bloodbath bad enough to require reupholstering, sure. But don't actually blow up the Penthouse. Besides, once you've won, its YOUR Penthouse. And there's nothing else like giving the proverbial finger to a prior ruler, than stealing their best digs for your own personal use.

Last edited:
Both ships withered the assault without issue. Due to the rather binary nature of the Phase Shields, each shell knocked off only a single layer of prote

Weathered, not withered.

I, on the other hand, had plenty enough firepower to plough through their weak Kinetic Barriers

Redundant. Plenty or enough, not both.

My abrupt arrival must have startled the Batarian forces - the even more abrupt decimation of their engines, their communications arrays, every single one of their GARDIAN arrays and a large majority of their mass driver cannons, even more so.

There is a reason why the words decimal and decimate look and sound similar. Both are based on the word for ten. As in, one tenth part. If you completely decimate a group of 100 soldiers, you have only killed ten of them. If you partially decimate them, you have killed or wounded less than ten. The other ninety are still completely intact and ready to kill you.

There are words that mean completely destroyed, but decimate is not one of them.

Avatar Droids carved through airlocks and obliterated windows, - the Geth had it right, they were structural weaknesses, - and within ten seconds each and every one of the defending vessels had been boarded.

The poor Batarians never stood a chance. The AeroAvatars began accessing internal computers and ship-wide networks, providing an avenue for my digital invasion, whilst the Avatar Droids made their way through the narrow corridors of the ships, subduing every crewman and marine they came across with tasers, stun staffs, and sleep darts.

Using nonlethal weapons like that is odd ranging to absolutely bizarre. Causing hull breaches is a lethal force attack aimed at the entire crew. Anyone who isn't already in a sealed space suit is already dead by the time your bots get to them physically. Use of non-lethal weapons on survivors is strange given that simply shooting them to death is more merciful a death than your lead-in attack, and if you want prisoners you don't space them.

You also didn't distinguish between living and dead targets, so it reads like the bots are mutilating corpses with non-lethal weapons.

Corollary: If you *must* blow up the penthouse, do so by dropping a yacht on it. Its traditional.

And be aware that if everyone must live under air tight domes to survive the planetary environment, that penthouse is also under the same dome that keeps the slaves alive. Blowing up the penthouse from outside the dome (whether with artillery or dropping a yacht) means those slaves die too.

Using nonlethal weapons like that is odd ranging to absolutely bizarre. Causing hull breaches is a lethal force attack aimed at the entire crew. Anyone who isn't already in a sealed space suit is already dead by the time your bots get to them physically. Use of non-lethal weapons on survivors is strange given that simply shooting them to death is more merciful a death than your lead-in attack, and if you want prisoners you don't space them.
The scene makes a lot more sense if you, as the reader, assume that the boarders avoid creating (explosive) decompression. The means are not listed, but at the portrayed tech level numerous.

Weathered, not withered.
Thank you, added to correction list.

Redundant. Plenty or enough, not both.
Stream of conscious. I use the phrase 'plenty enough' all the time, and since it's an SI, so does Faith.

There is a reason why the words decimal and decimate look and sound similar. Both are based on the word for ten. As in, one tenth part. If you completely decimate a group of 100 soldiers, you have only killed ten of them. If you partially decimate them, you have killed or wounded less than ten. The other ninety are still completely intact and ready to kill you.

There are words that mean completely destroyed, but decimate is not one of them.
Ohshit

Look at this

You're wrong

decimate
ˈdɛsɪmeɪt/
verb
verb: decimate; 3rd person present: decimates; past tense: decimated; past participle: decimated; gerund or present participle: decimating
  1. 1.
    kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of.
    "the inhabitants of the country had been decimated"
    • drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something).
      "public transport has been decimated"
  2. 2.
    historical
    kill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group.
    "the man who is to determine whether it be necessary to decimate a large body of mutineers"
Well you're not entirely wrong, but you're also not entirely right, so whatever.

Infantry sized hull breaches in cruiser sized vessels are only 'lethal force attack(s) aimed at the entire crew' if the vessel was build out of LEGO. Their ships have airlocks to prevent depressurisation spreading between sections, and the careful use of cutting tools rather than explosives to enter (when they're not hacking and making good use of airlocks) prevents the pressure from dropping too fast for the crew to retrieve their masks.

After the Avatars have boarded, measures are taken to ensure the ship's entire atmosphere doesn't pop out the window whilst they're taking out the crew. Usually in the form of tarpaulins IN SPACE! as was referenced in the raid on the Hegemony Dreadnought, but I'll add something to this section to make that clearer.

You also didn't distinguish between living and dead targets, so it reads like the bots are mutilating corpses with non-lethal weapons.
What dead targets? Trust me, if Faith had killed anyone, you'd know about it.

And be aware that if everyone must live under air tight domes to survive the planetary environment, that penthouse is also under the same dome that keeps the slaves alive. Blowing up the penthouse from outside the dome (whether with artillery or dropping a yacht) means those slaves die too.
When did I say anything about blowing up the penthouse?

There's more than one way to ruin a party.

Well you're not entirely wrong, but you're also not entirely right, so whatever.

While it's true that a lot of people using a word wrong can eventually change its meaning, it's also a fact that we are not quite at that point yet when it comes to the word decimate. Until the change in meaning is universal, it remains a case of using the wrong word to express what you mean. A good example of this is that the original spelling of apron was napron (a relative of napkin), and people running words together eventually changed 'a napron' into 'an apron'. Apron is universal now, so napron is now the misspelling. But like I said, decimate isn't quite to that point yet -- perhaps in another couple decades.

Also, be careful of where you get your citations from since quite a few online dictionaries operate on wikipedia-style consensus. If you get a lot of people who don't know any better, you can wind up with a definition that is wrong.

Deci is ten. If it is 70 or 100 (percent), that would also have implications for decimal places in math.

When did I say anything about blowing up the penthouse?

You didn't but the guy I was replying to did.

Decimate means kill like 90% of these days, right? Well over the amount typically needed to cause a rout or surrender.

Decimation did destroy the coherence of the legion being decimated though, mostly by ruining morale but losing a tenth of your fighting men also limits the ability to fight. As such, a legion that was decimated would not be a useful combat force.

On the topic about the meaning of 'decimate', I've always viewedthat the traditional meaning of punishing every tenth man was the only time when the 'ten' part would apply. The more common meaning seems more focussed on the result of crippling the group/army/force or whatever and I've never viewed it as implying a 10% casualty rate.

Still a quick Google search showed me this link which had some arguments against people being too picky about the intended meaning of the word.

One way or another I feel like using decimate even when not talking about an approximately 10% casualty rate is perfectly fine, partially because I like the word itself and if people were to only use it in those situations then its use would become much more limited.

Back