Yeah. Battletech's underlining issues all stem from random acts of douchebaggery that snowball into galactic wars. Once or twice is understandable, after the 3rd clan war; they have no excuse. And after thinkinking about it, not worth the tech.

I wouldn't mind faith landing in middle of clan controlled space and delivering the batchall to end all batchalls. Those fuckers need to be taught a.lesson.

Essentially ending up as a problem that you can't attack. You can't shoot the entire Battletech population in the face after all. (Well okay, you could shoot the entire population in the face but that's genecide. And I'm pretty certain you're against that.)
Yeah but you can shoot the Blakists and that's going to solve a significant chunk of the problems right there.

Yeah but you can shoot the Blakists and that's going to solve a significant chunk of the problems right there.
It would... until some other assholes steps in to fill the void.

I personally I'm of the belief that the humans of the Battletech setting will continue to screw themselves over no matter what. You could make the perfect utopia and they'd still fuck it up the instent they were left to their own devices.

(probably because somebody would want to become the ruler of said utopia and cause a civil war which destroys the utopia in the process, or a group of people will believe the utopia is too good for certain people so when they try to chase them out the resulting war destroys the utopia, or someone will think that only they can make a better utopia and the only way to make it is get rid of the "flawed experiment" so that their "perfect" designs can implemented.)

It's why I think Faith would have to deal with Battletech differently. Once she's conquered all the worlds held by humans she would have no choice but to actually govern said worlds. Otherwise the instant she turns power over to someone else they'll some how screw it up.

Plus I kind of want to see the various assholes of Battletech forced to bow before their new God Empress knowing that every plot they had arranged and all their plans to take power are now pointless.

Last edited:
Ahem. "Word of Blake, aka Wobblies aka Blakists. You have two cows. The cows walk around in robes with funny math symbols and get laughed at by everyone. The cows nuke everyone. Fukkin Wobblies."

(probably because somebody would want to become the ruler of said utopia and cause a civil war which destroys the utopia in the process, or a group of people will believe the utopia is too good for certain people so when they try to chase them out the resulting war destroys the utopia, or someone will think that only they can make a better utopia and the only way to make it is get rid of the "flawed experiment" so that their "perfect" designs can implemented.)
True. Any setting where you can look at the events that happened and say "Yeah, I could totally simulate that in a Paradox Grand Strategy game" has a lot of power-hungry assholes in it.

39 - Merridew
Short chapter now, longer one at weekend.

--

39 - Merridew

The Starsong cut across the desolate black canvas of space. All around, civilian ships in various states of disrepair were making their own journeys, in the opposite direction.

After a couple of chaotic, barely legible calls, I learned that it was because a local habitat station had been found sheltering a Federation Cruiser - my money was on the Kestrel, personally, - and the Rebels had decided to destroy the Federation ship, collateral damage be damned.

Sixteen Elite Rebel Fighter craft against a civilian grade space station.

It was exactly this kind of bullshit I was no longer willing to allow them to get away with.

And so the Starsong engaged its FTL drive once more.

---

To say that Merridew Station was less peaceful than the last station had been would have been an understatement.

That is to say, a small Rebel fleet had engaged a single Federation ship, and both sides had apparently agreed on two things - one, space stations make acceptable cover, and two, it is acceptable to shoot through cover.

By the time the Starsong arrived in system, still cloaked, the fighting was over.

The debris of a Rebel Rigger formed an ever-expanding cloud roughly half way between the station and the nearest Jump Beacon, but the dozen or so other Rebel ships were still in one piece, patrolling around the edges of the sector.

The station itself was immense - a lattice of tunnels, hangars, and spires built into an asteroid that was likely now hollowed out from over-mining.

Even just a brief sensor sweep told of severe structural damage across the board. I wanted to help them, but there wasn't much I could do with the Starsong to fix damage of that scale.

If I had a bigger ship, though...

Well, I had been meaning to create a builder version of the Pioneer-class.

And so I did. It was largely similar to the Rider-class vessels, in terms of size and armament. Unlike the Rider, it had only the same level of basic sensors as my other ships - it wasn't a dedicated scout, and so didn't need them. The upper section of the hull was full of vital systems - generators, the FTL drive, both regular and Zoltan energy shields, and a cloaking device. Had I the time I would have implemented a Resource Core or two as well, but they were simply to expensive to be viable on what I hoped to be one of my more basic Orbital Fabricators - since that was basically what this ship was, at this point.

The lower section of the ship was where I mounted said devices - three rows of downwards-facing Fabricators giving it dozens of times greater Fabrication ability than any of my other options.

Brilliant.

I mean, sure, it was a very situational unit, and it was probably more efficient, in terms of cost-to-build-speed, to make regular Orbital Fabricators with FTL Drives attached, but they looked lame and I really liked the aesthetics of the Pioneer-class Corvettes.

In keeping with the loose naming scheme I'd been using, I named it the Pilgrim and saved its design, queuing up five from my various factories.

Designs done, I took the time to investigate the extent of the damage to the station. Three hangar bays had been blown open, presumably by some kind of missile, and one of the umbilical walkways looping around the outside of the asteroid was missing a huge chunk, which looked to have been carved out by some kind of beam weapon. A Glaive or Pike, judging by the length of the cut.

There were several areas leaking oxygen from smaller blast craters, likely caused by Burst or Heavy Laser weapons, and one of the station's larger protruding spires, a living block of some kind, was twisted and bent out of shape, dozens of chunks of torn metal plate and... furniture of some kind orbiting the site of the worst damage.

Some of the plating, I noted, was the bright orange typical of the Rebel Fleet.

Apparently one of the Rebel's ships had lost control - I could see no other conceivable reason they would crash a ship there, after all. Unless they were taking after al-Qaeda, but I hoped that wasn't the case.

The five Pilgrims finished construction, launching away from the Orbital Factories and pointing themselves at my location, several hundred light years distant. Their cloaking drives engaged and, a handful of seconds later, they engaged their FTL drives, racing towards Merridew Station and the ten Rebel ships guarding it.

Speaking of the Rebel ships, though, I wanted to know why there were still around.

Curious, I reached out with my myriad of hacking suites and set to work gaining access to the Rebel's communications network just in time to hear this little gem.

"-at ship should not have been able to escape!" The voice was gruff, and I couldn't shake the feeling of being somewhat familiar with it. "We had theKestrel dead to rights, and yet we lost the Semmi and theViravura and the Feds got away scot-free. If someone could please explain how such a thing was possible, then I might reconsider your punishments."

There was silence over the line and for a brief second I was worried they'd already noted my intrusion, but my worries were proven unfounded. On the bright side, successfully confirmed that it was the Kestrel that had been here.

"Well, sir," a young voice spoke out after a nervous silence, "We weren't expecting them to be packing that Glaive Beam. No one could have seen that manoeuvre coming - their pilot must be some kind of tactical genius to pull it off how he did. Getting the Semmi to crash into the Viravura in such a way that it launched the Viravura at the-"

"I know what happened, you moron! I saw it with my own eyes!" Gruff cut the soldier off angrily.

There was silence across the line.

"Alright, look. We lost the Kestrel. From here, unless they run out of fuel, chances are good that they're going to be able to make it all the way back to Earth. We have no choice but to fall back and rendezvous with the fleet. Helmsman! Get us back to Orrpal!"

The transmissions cut off and the ten Rebel ships all broke away from their patrols, heading back in the direction from which I had just come.

Hm. Rebels were pulling back to rejoin their fleet.

And the Kestrel was nearing Earth.

Earth was the seat of the Federation's power, and, I presumed, the location referred to in game as Sector 8 - The Last Stand.

The site of the final battle between the Rebel and Federation fleets.

It would be an absolute massacre.

But not if I could help it.

Last edited:
Would be hilariously fitting if you left the Kestrel alive during the next section, even as you mulch everything else around them. Mostly because of their actions previously where they vaped a helpless ship. Then hack them, and very properly, if coldly, ask them about how they feel about the shoe being on the other foot, even as one of your heavy combatants slowly comes about and heads towards them.

Would be hilariously fitting if you left the Kestrel alive during the next section, even as you mulch everything else around them. Mostly because of their actions previously where they vaped a helpless ship. Then hack them, and very properly, if coldly, ask them about how they feel about the shoe being on the other foot, even as one of your heavy combatants slowly comes about and heads towards them.

Faith isn't that bloodthirsty though.

-edit-

She's pissed at how callous the federation and the rebellion are with life so I don't see her nuking an entire army to give the kestrel that ironic fate.

-edit-

God damn the English language and it's need to have words that sound the same but have different meanings. It's an annoyance in my sleep deprived state.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is a setting that would be greatly improved by being conquered by an AI overlord and forced into compliance. If Faith doesn't build something long term then the bullshit will just come right back pretty much the instant she leaves.

Oh god, it's going to happen, isn't it.

It's going to be like two siblings having an epic fight. They're about to exchange the last blows when Mom comes in and spanks the shit out of them.

Then, they stay quiet because Mom could be listening.

Construction? Finishing completion sounds... awkward.

Damnit, Fusou, what do I pay you for?! Fix'd
Jk, jk.

Honestly, this is a setting that would be greatly improved by being conquered by an AI overlord and forced into compliance. If Faith doesn't build something long term then the bullshit will just come right back pretty much the instant she leaves.
The Federation and the Rebels are both assholes and would be very nicely kept in line by an all-powerful AI overlord. Faith has a few ideas on how to keep them in line when she's gone.

Oh god, it's going to happen, isn't it.

It's going to be like two siblings having an epic fight. They're about to exchange the last blows when Mom comes in and spanks the shit out of them.

Then, they stay quiet because Mom could be listening.
As much as that analogy drags up painful memories for me, it is most certainly appropriate.

The Federation and the Rebels are both assholes and would be very nicely kept in line by an all-powerful AI overlord. Faith has a few ideas on how to keep them in line when she's gone.
...Does she have to leave? No, I don't mean stopping her multiversal adventure but is there any reason she couldn't keep a portal open and connected to maintain surveillance near indefinitely?

I would say it's a matter of how you programmed it but I'm really only curious if some sort of guardian or proxy can be left behind to manage things maybe do a brain upload/scan on some random goody goody.

I would say it's a matter of how you programmed it but I'm really only curious if some sort of guardian or proxy can be left behind to manage things maybe do a brain upload/scan on some random goody goody.
If its not actually intelligent, placing that kind of power controlled by an AI is just asking for the supervised civilizations to work out the rules.

And then, to weaponize them. Having a world that has games of "I'm not touching you!" for keeps, as the feds and rebels are trying to force a casus belli that gets the AI's support for there side could be fun. But not really something the si looks like she wants to set up.

Last edited:
@Faith

Brilliant. I had just finished yours and Drich, and going over to Fusou's.

Also, why don't you add Arpeggio Of Blue Steel to the list? Or better not, so I can write my own.

As a reader, I'll never say no to more PA stories. especially if you are doing Arpeggio Of Blue Steel and PA.

A good universe Faith should visit: Saga of the Seven Suns. I'd imagine she'd squee over acquiring kinetic missiles, which, as stated in the books, impact with the force of a nuclear bomb. There's also some other interesting technologies, like wormhole generators powerful enough to shift neutron stars through interstellar distances, to name one. I'd imagine you could get quite a lot of tech in exchange for the FTLverse FTL drives.

If its not actually intelligent, placing that kind of power controlled by an AI is just asking for the supervised civilizations to work out the rules.

And then, to weaponize them. Having a world that has games of "I'm not touching you!" for keeps, as the feds and rebels are trying to force a casus belli that gets the AI's support for there side could be fun. But not really something the si looks like she wants to set up.
I'm going with the interpretation that any true AI needs to be raised like a child (as Drich did with Little1), and that is absolutely not something that is going to happen. And, as Spindler says, a less complicated program is open for exploitation by the hundreds of thousands of genius engineers, programmers, and AI researchers on all sides of the FTLverse war.

@Faith
Brilliant. I had just finished yours and Drich, and going over to Fusou's.
Also, why don't you add Arpeggio Of Blue Steel to the list? Or better not, so I can write my own.
Unfamiliar with the setting, unfortunately. It's an anime, yes? I might add it to my holiday watching list. Speaking of, I have a whole 3 days of school left this year! Yay! *confetti*

This means I'll have a little more time to write and stuff, so more regular updates for you guys, hopefully. I will be going away for a short time, but I'll have my laptop so hopefully that just means you'll get two or three chapters in quick succession when I get back. Because I'm nice like that.

A good universe Faith should visit: Saga of the Seven Suns. I'd imagine she'd squee over acquiring kinetic missiles, which, as stated in the books, impact with the force of a nuclear bomb. There's also some other interesting technologies, like wormhole generators powerful enough to shift neutron stars through interstellar distances, to name one. I'd imagine you could get quite a lot of tech in exchange for the FTLverse FTL drives.
Pfft, nukes. There are so many more destructive options available to Faith already - here's a hint: PA 'nukes' are not nukes, but similar-scale Progenitor-level tactical warheads. Another one of Faith's more destructive toys should be coming out... soonish. Log... 44, according to my current plans, although that may jump back or forth a little, depending.

Speaking of, Log 40 should be up in the next 24 hours, hopefully, so that's fun, I guess.

Back