[Exalted] The Last Daughter -- Dragon-Blooded Sorcery School Quest

Voting is open for the next 9 hours, 42 minutes
Huh. I had her pegged as more of "build fancy mance full of iconography of the immaculate texts and the people who violate them. Stick none typical sorceress with great potential in mance. Visit every so often and discuss said Iconography in addition to sorcery." Kind of matriarch after the whole trophy case graveyard city update. Micromanaging is a tad more troublesome in my opinion.
Article:
As house matriarch, Mnemon keeps herself intimately involved with her descendants' personal lives. Every member of the house receives her wisdom, scolding, comfort, or scorn. Mnemon is the beating heart of her family, and to go against her guarantees retribution. Her scions are a clannish lot by design, and they're the pillar on which her power rests. There are nights where she won't sleep in order to fuss over a great-great-grandchild's marriage, or counsel a child who's nervous about studying at the Heptagram or entering the Immaculate Order. While it's rare for anyone outside of the house to interact with her as anything other than a general or sorcerer, those in House Mnemon know her to be exacting but generous toward her kin, with an acerbic sense of humor and a bone deep devotion to Dynastic duty.
Source: Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought pg.351

Short minutes later, she spies her mother in the midst of making the journey to the cramped little room that the palace has given her to work out of, her arms full of papers and ledgers passed to her from the palace scribes. Grace feels a pang in her stomach at the sight of her — Lohna does not seem well. Not even fifty yet, she is showing the signs of aging before her time, the hardships of her life catching up to her rapidly in the past few years.

There's one other obvious change that has occurred in the past few years that could explain that, and Grace hates the thought of it.

It's times like these that remind me that the phrase "There is always an ending" can just be a nicer way of saying "Remember you will die".

It feels like there is only tragedy in the future for Lohna.

Quietly, she catches up with Lohna, walking alongside her in the shadow of a high wall. "Those look very heavy," she says in Low Realm.

Lohna looks up at her with surprise, but no recognition. "I do very well, miss," she says, recognising that she is speaking to some manner of free servant.

Grace smiles at her. "I have an hour or two free, and I could use the company. Let me help you." To Grace's bittersweet relief, she can see Lohna respond to her presence as Ambraea had before, clearly set at ease by her even without knowing why.

Despite her better judgment, Lohna relents, making to shift over half of her stack of papers. She gives a slight sigh as Grace simply takes the entire stack from her arms. "Well, there are worse traits than minding one's elders, I suppose," Lohna says, giving up and simply leading the way. She looks at Grace sidelong. "Forgive me for asking," she says, dropping tentatively into her native Seatongue dialect, "but are you from the Cowries? You have the look."

"My mother is," Grace says, replying in the same language, albeit more awkwardly, "I was born here."

"Ah, well, a common story in the Realm," Lohna says, her tone a little wistful. "There aren't so many of us on this side of the Isle. My room is just up ahead." Sure enough, the little door that led to Lohna's workspace is up ahead, almost hidden at the corner between one wall and the other.

"It will be good to get out of the sun for a moment," Grace says, seeing it.

"It's kind of you to be so helpful, miss," Lohna says, holding the door open for Grace. "I'm sorry, I feel like you must have told me — what did you say your name was, again?"

Grace enters the small office ahead of her, carefully setting the stack of documents down on the open space on Lohna's tiny desk. The office is the same as she remembers it, tiny, efficiently-utilised, uncomfortably warm. She ignores the small twist of pain that accompanies the question, smiles, and — because sometimes she's cruel to herself — answers with: "Demure Peony."

"A pretty name," Lohna says. "I've always liked peonies."

"My mother wanted to give me a Realm style name, and expected me to go into service," Grace explains, "she thought it was appropriate for a handmaiden." And, because she very desperately wants to do something to keep her hands busy, she begins to sort the documents for her mother.

"Oh, wait, I have a sys—" Lohna stops in the middle of lunging for Grace's arm as she begins to separate the papers out into the appropriate piles on Lohna's desk. She frowns. "Oh, well, I see you've figured it out."

It hadn't been particularly hard — Grace had parsed out the gist of it in a moment, and Fate is kind enough to guide her hands for the rest. "You look tired," Grace says. "Sit down, catch your breath. I have quite a bit of experience with sorting paperwork."

Lohna hesitates for a moment, but Grace's voice is soothing, persuasive, insidiously familiar in a way that continues to be hard to place. Lohna finds herself settling down into her chair. "My age has been catching up to me," Lohna admits. Then, the words passing from her lips almost unnoticed: "Thank you, my Flower. I've missed you."

Grace feels the paperwork slip out of her hands, scattering palace expense reports all over the spotless floor. She stares at Lohna, hot tears prickling at the corners of her eyes, not yet willing to believe that she really heard what she'd just heard.

Lohna looks back at her, first confusion, then shock coming over her face, and she presses her hands to her mouth. "Peony?" she whispers, with the recognition Grace has so desperately wanted to hear in someone — anyone's — voice these past three years. "Peony. What's going on? Why didn't I know you?"

Singular Grace, Chosen of Venus, weaver of destinies, slayer of Anathema, and personal student of one of the most powerful figures of heaven, feels her legs wobble beneath her, and she can't stop the tears from coming. "Mama," she manages, unable to articulate anything more than that. Then, as though she were a child with a skinned knee, she throws herself down onto the floor, flings her arms around Lohna's waist, and begins to sob, harsh and uncontained.

Lohna Prince's Scribe, confused and frightened as she is, still understands what her duty is in this moment. She wraps her arms around her daughter, cradling Grace's head against her body, and holds her tightly while Grace finally lets it all out.

10/10, surprised me and made my heart ache a bit.

Mnemon is silent for a further moment, still looking down at the map. When she speaks again, the levity is gone. "The Realm seems strong, when viewed from a distance. United, unimpeachable. But in truth, it's more fragile than any care to admit. The houses vie against one another like starving dogs wrestling for scraps. The Thousand Scales are barely restrained from open corruption if not constantly kept in check. And always, enemies without and within bide their time and strike when the opportunity presents. The Immaculate Order can only do so much on their own. The Realm must be held together, body and soul, by an iron will."

Before you can think of a way to answer that, Mnemon waves a hand toward the table. "Please, sit."

I had hopes for a villain speech, and I'm not disappointed.

But there's a challenge in her voice as much as there's genuine frustration. You draw yourself up, force your voice to be firm, but not disrespectful. "I find myself very grateful," you say, carefully finding your way through the sentiment, "that I have been allowed to live my life in a peaceful time, that I have been afforded the protection necessary to grow and come into my power without being menaced by the powerful. It is hard to appreciate that kind of safety before it's gone, I think. I still will not apologise for the circumstances of my youth."

"Nor should you, I suppose," Mnemon says. She seems to have recovered enough from the flare of temper for her voice to carry a note of approval. "You have some backbone. Good. I can make use of spinelessness, but I do not respect it in a woman. Now, as you said, I am a very busy woman — shall I make my offer to you explicit?"

"Please," you say, remembering to take a sip of the tea. It's extremely pleasant, and the temperature is perfect.

If Mnemon is the kind of micromanager I have in my head, she had Rulinsei here to help subtlely push Ambraea into accepting 'Mnemon's help'. Instead Mnemon is 'making an offer' to Ambraea.

The difference seems small, but it tells me that Mnemon came into this thinking Ambraea would've been more easily pliable. Loved that whole interaction.

Grace's tears have long since dried, but they've left her feeling profoundly spent. The emotions she's only sporadically let herself feel in full over the past several years have all poured out of Grace at once, and she's almost numb in the wake of it.

Grace now sits on a chair directly across from Lohna, her mother holding Grace's hand in both of hers in case Grace simply disappears on her again. Lohna's expression as she stares at Grace, at her strange eyes and altered bearing, is not disbelieving so much as overwhelmed. Lohna attempts to keep the facts she's just been told straight in her head. "You're really Exalted?" Lohna has lived in the shadow of Dragon-Blooded for decades, and is an educated woman besides, whatever her current station. She knows what the word means, even if the form of it that Grace is trying to explain is strange and unfamiliar.

"Yes," Grace says. With the slightest effort, her Caste Mark flares on her brow, lighting the dim room in gentle blue.

Tentatively, Lohna reaches out to touch her daughter's forehead, finding the mark entirely cool to the touch. Wonderment and confusion seem to war behind her eyes.

"You recognise Venus's symbol," Grace says.

"I do," says Lohna, taking her hand away slowly. "Chosen by the goddess of love..." she looks into Grace's eyes again, seeming to see past the unfamiliar colour and the glittering stars, recognising something less than happy there. "Aren't you lonely, though, Flower?"

"I have been," Grace admits. "And still, sometimes. But I have friends in heaven now. People who care about me. We're all good about looking out for each other." To a fault, at times, despite factional bickering and routine manipulations. Her mother doesn't need the messy details. "It was very hard, at first. Everyone forgot me at once. Lady Ambraea just... looked right through me, like I was another strange servant."

"I always hoped she'd look after you," Lohna says, horrified. The hand that still holds Grace's squeezes tighter. "I thought she would."

"It wasn't her fault," Grace says. "Dragon-Blooded aren't all-powerful, whatever they like to think. It wasn't because she didn't care."

"I know they aren't," Lohna says, sighing. It's a dangerous sentiment for her to express if she said it the wrong way, to the wrong person. "It really was like you said — she wanted to take me away from the palace, give me a retirement. She can't do that anymore, though, with Her Excellency gone."

Grace feels a touch of fear for her mother's safety, thinking again about her status as a slave belonging to a vanished Empress, in a Realm that may yet fall to war. If Ambraea can't help Lohna, then who else does she have but Grace herself? Dropping her voice to a whisper, Grace asks: "If I could get you away from here, take you somewhere safe, would you go? I could take you back to the Neck, or anywhere. I could... I could free you."

Lohna freezes up, a fearful look coming into her eyes. She glances around, as if making sure that no one had heard that. "I... I've seen what happens to slaves that run," she says, voice very quiet.

"Do you think I'd let that happen? That I'd let anyone hurt you?" Grace asks.

Lohna slowly makes herself relax, although it's clearly difficult. "No," she says, "not if you could make it otherwise. But please understand, I haven't seen my homeland in well over two decades. It's part of a satrapy now, the 'Lesser Cowries', governed out of Amphiro. When I saw it last, it was burning. I don't know how many of my family survived that invasion, if any of them did. There's no home left for me there."

"But I can't just leave you alone here," Grace says.

"Won't you be able to come see me, sometimes?" Lohna asks, hopeful in a way that breaks Grace's heart. "It won't be so bad that way." As Grace averts her eyes, Lohna frowns. "What's wrong?"

Grace takes a deep breath, and tells her, her voice very small. "When I leave, you will forget about me again. Just like before."

"No!" Grace is startled by the forcefulness of the denial. Lohna lets go of her hand, and pulls Grace into a tight, desperate hug. "No, please don't say that."

"I can't—" Grace's voice comes out thick, choked up. "It will be easier in a way, won't it? You can't mourn what you don't know you've lost."

"Flower," Lohna says, "Flower, I have been heartbroken for the past three years, never knowing why. It was all worth it, everything that happened to me, knowing that you could have a good life. Without you, what was any of it for?"

"I'm sorry," Grace says. "I didn't do this on purpose."

Lohna continues to hold her tight for a silent minute. Then she says, as if she can barely bring herself to think it: "Do you swear that if I go with you, we won't be caught? Please remember, whether or not she's here you will be robbing the Empress." The fear of being caught and punished is still there, but Lohna has just been presented with something she's even more afraid of.

"I swear," Grace says, meaning it as much as any promise she's made in her life. "Where do you want to go, if not to the Neck?"

Lohna only hesitates briefly. "Can't I stay with you?" she asks. "Is that allowed?"

"I... " Grace falters. Gods keep mortals in heaven, after all — as consorts or servants or curiosities. Legally, she should be able to bring her mother there. Grace hadn't considered the possibility of actually bringing her mother home with her before now, but if it's really what Lohna wants...

"Yes," Grace says. "I have a very large house in heaven, inherited from my predecessor. There would be room." Specifically, it's a Celestial manse passed down to her by her previous incarnation, a structure of such opulence that Grace doesn't know what to do with it most days. "I should say," Grace says, "you wouldn't be a slave there. But most humans do not have very much legal status in heaven, you would be reliant on me. And you would still forget me. We can't prevent that."

"But I would remember you again sometimes?" Lohna says, releasing Grace enough to be able to look her in the eye again. "I did it once, I can do it again."

"Maybe," Grace says, not wanting to give herself false hope. "It can get... easier over time." Arcane Fate is supposedly easier to overcome with sufficient knowledge of it, and of Sidereals in general. But especially for a mortal, it was never going to be kind enough to relent entirely for any being bound to fate.

"As long as I don't have to lose you again," Lohna says. "Please believe that I love you even when I don't know your face."

"I do, mama," Grace says. Her feelings are a heady mixture of elation and anxiety and dread, but it seems that they're committed now. "We'll make it work."

Lohna nods. "I... would like to give Lady Ambraea an explanation before we go. If we can."

Grace very nearly balks at that — it adds a further element of risk to what can currently only very generously be described as a plan. All the same, she finds herself nodding. Dynast or not, Grace does believe that Ambraea loves Lohna, in her way. And Grace has enough care for her that she doesn't want to be responsible for Ambraea losing the woman who raised her without so much as a word.

Lohna gives a sigh, looking around at her surroundings as though the thought of leaving them is still strange to her. "I raised you both. I gave her all the care I could, and tried to make her into a good woman, despite a thousand things in her life that might make her otherwise. I'm proud of her, most of the time. But you are my daughter, first and always, and you need me more than she does."

"Thank you," Grace says. This will have to work — she can't let herself think otherwise.

...I can't shake this feeling of impending doom...

You exit the Pagoda first, to find Garnet in conversation with one of the Mnemon guards you'd talked to before. At the sight of you, both the soldier and the servant take a hasty step back from each other. Garnet, still carrying the parasol, bows to you. "My lady. I hope your talk was productive."

This is inconsequential, but the little things always fascinate me; what was Garnet and the guard talking about?

"It was," you say. You hope. You walk the rest of the way down the stairs, and continue on your way. There's still a great deal of daylight left, but clouds have passed over the sun, lessening the glare. "Regardless, though, we should—"

You stop short in the middle of the walking path, eyes fixed on the tiny, winged figure hovering in front of you. An Infallible Messenger. "What is it?" you ask the sprite. Behind you, Garnet has stopped short at the same time you have. She watches the sorcerous construct warily.

The Messenger flips around once in the air, and begins to say, in a very familiar voice that only you can hear: "Ambraea. I know I already sent you a message through more conventional means, and I understand why you prioritised a different engagement ahead of mine. But I must speak to you now, very pressingly, I find. For my peace of mind, if nothing else. I can see you, please nod if you agree." Feeling a little uneasy and strangely guilty, you nod. "Good," L'nessa says. "If you could meet me in one hour's time, I will be—"

I'm guessing L'nessa (and potentially V'neef) didn't expect Mnemon to act so quickly. This was an Incarne-tier update (because god-tier ain't enough)

[X] Jinmei Tower

The tower, because the pagoda was a relatively public area. Why not increase as much exposure to how much Ambraea's getting approached by high profile movers and shakers? That's one way of getting more options.

If Mnemon is the kind of micromanager I have in my head, she had Rulinsei here to help subtlely push Ambraea into accepting 'Mnemon's help'. Instead Mnemon is 'making an offer' to Ambraea.

The difference seems small, but it tells me that Mnemon came into this thinking Ambraea would've been more easily pliable. Loved that whole interaction.
Ambraea has inadvertently cultivated a reputation for rashness and sentimentality, as a result of her hasty hearth oaths with dear friends turned lovers and doing things like revealing the first oaths existence to give Maia an Alibi. To the realm in general Ambraea is expected to be more off balance and desperate for protection than she is. More uncertain of her worth and safety in the absence of her mother's protection. That and the idea that, whatever else fails, Ambraea is the grand daughter of a foreign empress and can start over and ride to impressive heights outside the realm is unthinkable to in their right minds dynasts leaves them unprepared for her.
The tower, because the pagoda was a relatively public area. Why not increase as much exposure to how much Ambraea's getting approached by high profile movers and shakers? That's one way of getting more options.
That and this gives L'nessa the chance to drag along several children of V'neef allies to give Ambraea an Idea of which house's V'neef is courting strongest.

Voting is open for the next 9 hours, 42 minutes
Back