Ecstacies of Saint Chrisenya the Mad [Warhammer 40k] [Transgender Sororitas] [NSFW]

Your take on the Repentia really helps reinforce how, even for the Imperium, the Sororitas as an institution strives for completely batshit levels of zeal and, despite the complexities and limitations of merely mortal humanity, actually achieves it now and again. Also, how much the Imperium runs on sublimating horny into a martyr's death :V

A really evocative depiction! A bouquet for all the senses! A fitting setting for Chrisenya to acquire some painful character growth.

I... Wow. Huh. The Repentia sure is a thing, isn't it? Maybe it's just my sensory issues talking, but I think this constant overwhelming stimulus would break me. The cells are quiet, so I guess I'd just have to become an anchorite until when/if someone decided I had suffered enough.

Chapter Twenty-Seven [NSFW]
Chrisenya immediately became defensive. "Don't you dare."

"Don't I dare what?" said Severn.

"Don't you dare pretend to know me. You've tried it before and it won't work again, so just stop. I came here to ask you a question, not the other way around."

Severn sighed. Chrisenya, unfortunately, had a point. But at the same time, if she was right, then getting into Chrisenya's neuroses was going to be the only way of answering her question in a way she'd find satisfactory. So she took a different tack.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. Mind if I tell you a bit about myself? We've got time, the Superiors never check back here and it's all sonically isolated."

The way Chrisenya's attention suddenly turned towards the door was as though she hadn't even considered the idea of being caught until that moment. There was nobody coming, of course.

"Go ahead," she said. "But don't waste my time."

Severn nodded, then tried to settle back. It was another way in which the chains on her hands acted to torment her, they made it almost impossible to find a position that was completely comfortable. "So, when I was younger, I used to believe I was completely worthless, that I was nothing but a waste of skin. Any cause that you put in front of me, I would throw myself into it in the hopes that maybe this time I'd be able to justify my own existence. And do you know where that all got me?"

Chrisenya frowned, very seriously. "It got you here," she said. "In the Abbey, that is. Not necessarily in this cell."

Severn shook her head. "No, Chris, how I got here is an entirely different story. Thinking I was nothing, that got me thrown around, used up, and treated like fucking trash. One step above a servitor. The only reason I survived as long as I did, the only reason I made it far enough to take the orders at all, was because I stopped seeing myself like that."

She stared directly into Chrisenya's eyes, trying to drive the point home as firmly as she could in her profoundly unimposing state. Even still, deep behind those huge grey eyes, Severn saw her certainty begin to waver. It was getting through to her.

"What worth would we have, then?" She looked down into her lap. "If worth does not come through acts of faith or service, then the human being is… what, free of obligation?"

Severn chuckled. "Want to talk theology? Personally I think you've got the whole idea wrong. That's not what—"

But Chrisenya's thought process, whatever it may have been, was working totally without Severn's input. "But then, if that is what gives a person worth, then what of the… What of… They had no faith, they had the opposite of faith, and yet I still…"

Chrisenya was becoming truly alarmed, turning to Severn as if she had all the answers. The softer part of her felt awful seeing a face so pretty being so distressed, but if it meant whatever psychological block Chrisenya had was being broken down, then all the better.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Severn said. "I can't exactly give you answers."

Chrisenya fell silent. Despite being the person in the room whose hands definitively weren't chained together, they fell naturally together in her lap, and she started to rock slightly back and forth. Severn gave her the time to process.

"How did you escape it? How did you come to believe that you had worth?"

"Dunno," Severn said with a shrug. She didn't want to convince Chrisenya that an intense crisis of faith was a necessary part of the process. "How does anybody come to believe in anything? Faith's a mystery. The key part is that you act like it; you have to act like you're… like you're worth investing in, doing maintenance on, not just something that outputs whatever the fuck people ask you to do."

Chrisenya continued to look terrified, unable to decide whether to look at the floor or at Severn's face, or sometimes even at Severn's chest. "I don't understand. What do you… what do you mean? I need an example."

Severn had to think about it for a moment, to find something that Chrisenya would be able to understand. The ideal would be some liturgical citation, but that wasn't coming easily. She shifted closer. "That stuff you've got all over your face," she said, trying to gesture at the appropriate area and succeeding mostly in jangling her hand-chains. "Take that as an example. It's something you do for yourself, for your appearance, to make you feel better."

Chrisenya frowned. "I've told you this once before and I'll tell you again, I do this out of obedience to the Decree Passive."

Severn rolled her eyes, but then thought about it very seriously. It was a little bit disappointing, having to realize that Chrisenya was being totally serious. "Is… is that why you wear the padding, too? Just because you feel like you have to?"

Chrisenya nodded.

Every time Severn thought she understood the depths of what was wrong with Chrisenya, she discovered yet another layer of sediment to dig up. Chrisenya looked faintly apologetic.

A few moments later, Severn broke free of her momentary paralysis. "Do you see yourself as a woman at all?" she said, speaking delicately so as not to break her any further.

"I… Does it matter?"

"Yes, Chrisenya, it matters quite a bit whether you actually see yourself as a woman."

She had to think about it some more. Her eyes got all shiny, not quite at the point of tears but very close to it. "I don't know? Ever since I was young, ever since the Sororitas rescued me, I have known that it was my destiny to repay them through my service. I hardly cared about matters of sex. Why don't I know? I should know!"

Severn nodded. "Yeah, you should."

Chrisenya's breathing was rapid and erratic, her eyes twitching as they searched around the bare penitent's cell for absolution or answers or something of the sort.

"Why did you save me, then? Even if it meant… this?"

"Because it was the right thing to do," Severn said. "Even if it meant facing hell."

Chrisenya rose up onto her knees, and for a moment it looked as though she were about to stand up and force herself back out through the window. Instead, she stared down, past Severn entirely, and shuffled forward on her knees.

"Thank you," she said. "Thank you." She reached out her arms to take Severn's shoulders, but couldn't bring herself to touch.

Severn suppressed the urge to make a quip about the offer she had made in the chapel. As rewarding as it would be, this was not the correct time. "You can go all the way, if you like. You know I'm not going to stop you."

Chrisenya threw her arms around Severn's bare shoulders, and pressed her face into her collarbone, and started openly weeping. Severn's hands were trapped between their bodies at around Chrisenya's chest level, but that wasn't what she was there for any longer. She grinned bemusedly at the bizarre inversion, the free woman sobbing with relief at the Repentia. Eventually Chrisenya's tears dried up, and she pulled away just a fraction, looking into Severn's eyes once more.

"Thank you. I think."

"Don't mention it." A heat was starting to build up in Severn's chest, and her heart was moving rapidly. She said something reckless. "You look like you could use a kiss."

Chrisenya stopped breathing. Her lips opened slightly. Then she lunged forward, giving Severn a quick peck on the lips. Severn reached up: though her hands were still bound, there was enough give in the chains to allow her to cup the narrowest part of Chrisenya's chin between her fingertips. That way she could guide her in—Chrisenya allowed herself to be guided—and they could kiss properly. Deeply.

When they pulled apart, Chrisenya's throat had turned red, and no doubt her face had done the same under all the cosmetic. But something had Severn confused, verging on upset.

"Was that… Did I just taste stimm?"

Chrisenya hesitated a moment before nodding. She fell back into Severn's chest, wrapping both arms around her midsection, and told the whole story. The fear of failure, the need to keep performing no matter what, Gwynette's offer, the haze of drugs that had led her to injure herself in the first place. She started talking about Fidelitas too, coupling in her room on the Gabriellum, the hatred she felt for Fidelitas's motives in taking the orders, the parts about the trip to the baths that Regina hadn't been able to relay.

Severn listened quietly as she rushed through the whole thing. She was well aware of Gwynette's smuggling, being as Gwynette was her sole source of lho sticks, but if she ever got out of the Repentrium she knew she was going to have a talk with her about the stimm. The main thing she learned was just how close Chrisenya and Fidelitas really were. She had had suspicions, of course, but hearing it from Chrisenya's mouth was something entirely different.

"Do you want me to help you with Fidelitas? Once I'm out of here, that is. I'm sure I can—"

"Don't talk to me about Fidelitas," Chrisenya said. "Don't even mention her name."

"If you say so." Severn paused. She was still thinking about Fidelitas, but maybe what needed to happen was a shift to something less serious. "Have you really never… That is, has she only ever fucked you using your cock?"

Chrisenya shifted slightly against Severn's side. "Why do you say it like that? Like it's a bad thing."

"Well it just… a girl like you, it feels like you should at least be given the option, you know?"

"The option to what?"

Severn sighed. If her hands weren't chained together and trapped against her chest, she would have covered her face. "Just because you have a cock doesn't mean that sex has to be you sticking it in various holes. There's other ways that might feel better."

"Oh. Of course you would know about that sort of thing." Chrisenya's voice lowered down to a weak whisper. "What are they?"

Severn clenched her thighs together, wishing she was wearing clothes. She wasn't going to do this tonight, not so quickly after their relationship had turned around the way it had. But she needed to make certain of something first.

"Do you want me to tell you… or do you want me to show you?"

"I would not be… adverse to a degree of hands-on experience. Though it damns me to say so."

Severn shoved her back with her bound hands, a predatory smirk establishing itself on her face. She was back in control again.

"Not tonight. And you'll have to do as I say. There are some… things I'll need. I have a hidden stash, same as yours, and you'll need to gather some things from it."

Severn described the location, and a brief overview of what Chrisenya would find once she had uncovered it. For the sake of her own privacy, she didn't give any names, just basic descriptions of what Chrisenya would see and which of those things she needed to take. Chrisenya listened in rapt attention, and when it was all said and done she needed no repetition. The greater challenge was in getting her back out of the cell. In the end, the only way was for Severn to crouch before the window while Chrisenya climbed up on her back, and then to shove the girl-martyr through with her shoulder once her hips reached the bars.

Severn did not purposefully look up Chrisenya's skirt at any time during this process, as that would be horribly uncouth. The fact that she saw up it several times throughout, simply could not be helped.

It was days before Chrisenya returned, as judged by the light rising and falling in the window of the cell. Severn knew she was about to do something awful, and worse, that she was going to keep it a secret. Was finding pleasure in the house of punishment defeating the purpose? Or would the Empress forgive her trespass, on the grounds that the initial sin had been unworthy of the size of the punishment? Severn decided to err on the side of caution.

For the next few days, she threw herself into punishment as much as she could bear. Even with the chains on her hands she could still pick up a sword and duel her fellow Repentia until her back was a web of bruises, could still mock-rush the Repentias Superior until she felt the sting of the whip, then retreat into the utter silence and stillness of her cell until she could hear whispers in her ears.

She wondered what would happen if any were to find out about Chrisenya's sneaking in. Would that be enough to count as a breach of her duty as a Repentia, to have her sentenced to an eternity in the screaming coffins suspended from the ceiling, where the only mercy that existed was the Empress's? Perhaps it wouldn't. Perhaps it would merely extend her sentence, not that Severn had any idea how much longer her sentence was meant to be. Severn wasn't going to be afraid of that; she knew she was in the right, that none of this really mattered beyond what she made of her stay in that place of punishment.

And then the night came at last when Severn was awoken by Chrisenya's voice. Once again she had to pull her through the bars, though this time she didn't fall flat on her arse when Chrisenya made it through. Instead, Chrisenya fell gracefully into her arms, as though she'd had the time to practice.

"I think it was a bit more difficult that time," she said. "Not by much, but at this rate I don't know how much longer I'll stay narrow enough to fit."

"Better take advantage of the time we have, then," Severn said, before tipping Chrisenya onto the ground. A moment later, Chrisenya was pulling her into a kiss.

Severn could still taste stimm on Chrisenya's tongue, though not as strongly as the last time. Chrisenya's appetite for physical contact was insatiably ravenous. They kissed again and again, Chrisenya wrapping her arms around Severn's back, rubbing at the firm muscle, feeling the pressure of her breasts against her collar. It took almost no time at all before Severn was quite warmed up indeed, not to mention hard.

"Alright," she said. "That's enough of that. Clothes off, on your back. Preferably somewhere you can't be seen from the door."

There were few things in the world that Severn wouldn't have promised away to have her hands unchained in that moment, just so she could peel the clothes off of Chrisenya one article at a time. As it was, the trembling uncertainty filling Chrisenya's body made her stripping into a decent enough show. First the shoes, then the hosiery, then the tunic, then her underwear, each one taken off at least three times more slowly than strictly necessary. When Chrisenya lay down on her back on the cold stone floor, she even understood the assignment well enough to spread her legs.

The most surprising part by far was how much work the tunic had been doing; she looked like a totally different person without it. Still adorable, but much more… vulnerable. Pathetic. Severn let herself stare only for a little bit, before picking up one of the objects she'd asked for Chrisenya to bring, a plastic tube that fit nicely between her hands.

"This is fricgel, short for 'friction gel', on account of it gets rid of friction." Severn dropped the dispenser onto Chrisenya's mirror-flat stomach. "What you're going to want to do is get your fingers nice and soaked in the stuff, then put them up your arsehole."

Chrisenya's expression turned to fear. "Why?"

Severn tried to separate her hands, the chains rapidly going taut with a metallic click. "Because I can't do it myself."

"Oh. Yes. Of course. I'll do my best."

Severn nodded. Her attention shifted downward, towards Chrisenya's cock, which did not look ready in the slightest. "In the meantime… let's get the rest of you prepared."

Severn dropped down, too fast, bruising her knees on the stone as they landed either side of Chrisenya's hips. Carefully, she spread her legs, lowering her crotch until her arsecheeks were just touching Chrisenya's thighs and their two cocks were side by side. Not wanting to interrupt while Chrisenya fumbled with the bottle of fricgel, Severn let her eyes linger on the slender, smooth body in front of her.

Just like she'd been ordered to, Chrisenya smeared the gel across her fingers and slowly, hesitantly, reached around behind herself. That was when Severn gave her the boost she needed. Keeping her hands close enough together that the chains didn't come into play, she clumsily gripped Chrisenya's limp dick, lifting it until it came in contact with its more erect accomplice. Then, with soft motions of both hand and hip, they rubbed together.

The effect was as immediate as it was obvious that Chris was trying to hide it. She was too damn pale to hide a flush, and the hitch in her breathing could have been heard from the far side of the room. Severn needed her as relaxed as possible, and the gentle rocking contact was the best way she could think to do that. Chrisenya's eyes were locked on Severn's as, with a soft sound, she penetrated herself, fingers preparing for what was to come. A few soft whimpers were the only signs of any discomfort throughout the whole process; and other signs between her legs showed that Chrisenya was quite comfortable indeed.

"Well would you look at that," Severn said. "You're bigger than me. That doesn't feel even a little bit fair."

Chrisenya's expression went totally blank, and her face went bright red. A few moments later, she said, "'For the Empress's blade is the mightiest of all blades, and via faith in Her, any may wield it.'"

Severn did her best to ignore this, mostly on the grounds that not ignoring it would make her laugh so hard she'd pass out and ruin the fun. Instead, seeing that both of Chrisenya's fingers were outside of her body, she slowly retreated, carefully balancing on one knee at a time as she moved herself. It took some maneuvering, but before long Severn was kneeling between Chrisenya's legs.

Finding the right angle proved to be a bit of a challenge, with Severn's hands unavailable and nothing but a smooth floor to work with, but they managed. Severn ended up fully bent forward over Chrisenya's body with her bound-up hands over Chrisenya's head, while the smaller woman had her hips curled forward to get the right angle. Severn positioned the head of her cock right over Chrisenya's entrance.

"You ready?"

Chrisenya swallowed, rolling her eyes nervously. "Yes."

Severn thrust forward, burying herself halfway inside Chrisenya. She was as tight as to be expected, but the fricgel was working its magic. The incoherent, animal whimper that came out of Chrisenya's thin lips suggested that it was working for her as well.

It was another couple of awkward, stuttering thrusts before Severn was all the way down to the hilt and could start the long journey out. With her knees and hands as points of support and the muscles of her thighs to power it, Severn could just about approximate a decent rhythm. It was far from the best she'd ever done, but the miracle was that it didn't need to be the best. In the quiet of her cell, every wet sound and gasp of Chrisenya's breath sent shivers down her spine.

Chrisenya was so small and so soft that it felt impossible that she could be a soldier, a warrior of the Empress. And yet she needed to be, she had to be. Severn had never felt stronger by sheer contrast, power surging in her as her world collapsed in around her cock. As Chrisenya bit down on her bottom lip to keep herself quiet, Severn growled in the back of her throat, leaned more into her own thrusts until some of her weight settled fully on top of Chrisenya's body. Chrisenya replied to the motion in turn, wrapping both hands around Severn's back to pull her even closer. She was the only source of real warmth in the cold of the cell, and Severn was going to keep her safe, damn everything else.

With each passing second Severn's rational mind dissolved against the wave of hormones coursing through her, the soft pressure of Chrisenya's clenching arsehole and the frantic beating of her heart. The teeth on Chrisenya's lower lip were biting down so hard they seemed about liable to draw blood, and even still a shrill whine was passing up the length of her throat and filling the air. More grip, Severn needed more grip.

She pulled her bound hands in, wrapping the chains crudely around the back of Chrisenya's head and pulling it roughly in, forcing Chrisenya's face against her chest. The tiny girl was bent almost in half, but she was able to make it work, enjoy it even. With Severn's breasts to muffle her, she let herself make a soft and keening cry of peak experience, a sound that could have been pain as much as pleasure. Severn understood it well. She herself was about to go feral altogether, her cock so hard it hurt even as she kept pistoning in and out, even as all sensation melted together into one white-hot glow.

Chrisenya's dick throbbed. Severn's stomach clenched, her thighs locked, she forgot how to breathe. Everything went wet and ugly and soft and smooth. There was nothing in the universe, nothing at all but the expansion of the moment into everything. And then, with a gasp, Severn pulled out.

It was a mess, and if Chrisenya hadn't brought a small cloth with her when she'd arrived it would have been a serious problem. As it was, Severn cleaned the both of them and the cell itself with a lazy slowness. Chrisenya's expression was blank, staring up at the ceiling as though she'd had the brains fucked entirely out of her, until all of a sudden she stopped. She rolled up into a seated position, crawled over to her discarded clothes, and started to dress.

"I need to go. I'm sorry. I'll remember this. I— I need to go, I need to go right now."

And she left. Another storm came not long after, pouring rain in through the window of Severn's cell.

I'M BACK BITCHES. WOE, OVERLY LONG CHAPTER BE UPON YE.

Also, credit to my friend strawberry lizard for accidentally coming up with the perfect 40k-ism for sex lube in "fricgel", I would not have been able to come up with something better.

Yay! Great to see an update. Also, huh, I wonder how bottoming in real life with another human compared to all the fucked up stuff the demons did to her in dreams.

She seemed to be pretty into it... Right up until she wasn't.

NGL, Chris pulling out the Bible quotes in the middle of foreplay was pretty fucking hilarious, especially given the implications of using that quote in that context.

Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chrisenya tried to quit stimm, but stimm refused to allow her . She had been trying since as soon as she left the Sanatorium, but Severn tasting the foulness of the drug on her tongue had caused her to redouble her efforts. And it was not all for nought, of course; there were many days when the allure of stimm was not too strong, when she lived in clarity. It simply wasn't enough. There would always be a day when her exhaustion grew too great, when the demands of recovery from her injury were more than she could manage, when she needed the extra time that only a sleepless night could grant.

Stimm was always there when she needed it. Reliably, emotionlessly, whensoever she needed strength stimm could provide it to her. In that sense, the only difference between stimm and the Empress was that the latter was not steadily running out.

What she would do when the vial finally emptied was one of the two concerns on Chrisenya's mind. The logical thing to do would be to do nothing at all, let the withdrawal pains take her. Smarter, more conducive to completing her training, would be to beg Gwynette for more, regardless of her inability to repay the debt she owed for the first vial. Every time she saw Gwynette alone, the thought occurred to her to make the approach; but there was never the time.

The other concern was Severn. Severn, Severn, Severn. To even describe how Chrisenya thought of the most brazen of her squad-mates would be to grant more comprehensibility to her thoughts than they truly possessed. Whenever thoughts of her entered Chrisenya's mind she was thrown into a maelstrom of confusion. Chrisenya did not know whether to love her with a greater intensity than she had ever loved before, to hate her for setting her off the path, or to be ashamed. In some ways, it was the very intensity of feeling which proved most challenging: so powerful were Chrisenya's impressions that, like noise which at high enough volumes becomes a shockwave, the nature of them could not be discerned.

It was for that reason that, one warm afternoon, Chrisenya appeared before the Centro Magisterium. It lay near the very heart of the Abbey, where the structures gained in scale and ostentatiousness until they rivaled the spires of Aktranis itself; indeed, the Centro Magisterium was the second tallest building in the Abbey, falling only behind the titanic bell-spire of the Abbey's Sacrarium Sacrosanctus. It was here that the temporal portion of the Abbey's business was carried out. Somewhere within that colossal spire were the private chambers of deliberation where came together all of the Canonesses of the Order, and above them, the personal chambers of Canoness-Superiors Cassandra and Phoebe.

It was not so lofty a reason for which Chrisenya had come, of course. The office which she sought was on the seventy-fourth floor (out of two-hundred-and-six), and the door against which she knocked was unassuming flakboard, flanked by a pair of skulls crudely stamped into the ferrocrete. It took only a few moments before the door opened. An impossibly beautiful face peeked through the crack, lips twitching with minute glee as they recognized Chrisenya.

"Oh, hello. It has been quite a long time, hasn't it been."

"Yes, Palatine Maryllis, I think it has."

Maryllis opened the door more widely, and ushered Chrisenya inside. The cherub which had shown Chrisenya to the correct door attempted to follow. But Maryllis batted her hands at it.

"Go, shoo! I can take care of her from here."

The little creature squawked and screeched, but relented after a moment spent venting its displeasure.

Beyond the door was the shared office of Canoness Innogen and her assistant. Chrisenya felt a sudden stab of pity for her rescuer; though in truth only a portion of the office was taken up by dataslates and parchment records, in comparison to any of the furniture, to Innogen's personal belongings, even to the shrine to the Empress, they seemed to dominate the space. Canoness Innogen herself was seated at her desk with a book at one hand and a dataslate at the other, referencing back and forth between the two as part of some arcane task.

"Who is it?" she said.

"It's the Thannetch g—" Maryllis shot Chrisenya a quick glance, "Er, Sister Chrisenya Thannetch."

Innogen looked up. "Oh, well then, would you look at that. It's been entirely too long. I'll be with you in a moment, Sister Chrisenya, I shan't interrupt this spot of business."

"You're jumping to conclusions. She could be here to speak to me." Maryllis rounded on Chrisenya, leaning in with a sudden and intense interest. "Are you in need of a, erm, resupply? Or more clothes? I did only give you five sets."

Chrisenya cringed away from Maryllis. The last several days had broken her iron will; such moments of weakness had become more and more common. She put up her hands in surrender and said, "I'm afraid Canoness Innogen is correct. I came here to speak to her. Alone, as it happens."

Maryllis's smugness faded instantly. "Very well then. Perhaps I will go and acquire a few extra uniforms for you while you talk."

"Thank you," said Chrisenya. "And… perhaps I could use some extra supply, though I'm not out yet."

Maryllis nodded sharply, then went for the door. The Chrisenya of one month earlier would have thought nothing more of it; but the Chrisenya of that precise moment could not help but take note—and no more than a note—of the way that Maryllis unnaturally swished her hips from side to side as she walked. She was showing off, though to who Chrisenya couldn't fathom.

And then the door clinked shut, and it was just Chrisenya and the Canoness.

"I'm almost done. Please, have a seat."

There was, indeed, a chair immediately across from Innogen's: a bare thing of synth-wood, with a small pillow on the seat. Chrisenya sat down, folding her hands in her lap and wondering if she had made a mistake. Before she could sink too deeply into her own mind, Innogen at last looked up.

"My first piece of advice is, if they ever offer to promote you past Celestian, don't take it. Facing down lasgun fire is ten times less painful than deflecting strongly-worded letters from the Lord of Notidal."

"Canoness, I fear that I have made a terrible mistake."

Immediately, Innogen's expression darkened. "Oh, I shouldn't have… What's the problem, Sister Chrisenya?"

Chrisenya covered her face with her hands, unsure if she was properly sobbing yet but not wishing for Innogen to be able to see her face. "I have forgotten my purpose," she groaned. "I have forgotten the reason for my faith, I do not know why I am here any more. I have begun to wonder whether I should have gone somewhere else."

Innogen's frown grew even deeper, and for a moment her stoicism was overcome. She reached out to touch Chrisenya's shoulder, but made it only halfway across the gulf of the desk between them before reconsidering. "You haven't actually forgotten anything," Innogen said tentatively. "So what do you really mean?"

Chrisenya sucked in a breath. Where the strength of the Empress had failed to bulwark her, the Canoness's strength still could. She wiped the tears from her eyes, but could not keep the overpowering emotion out of her voice. "I used to know everything. I used to know why I was here and what I was doing and what I stood to gain, but now I do not. Now I wonder if I was never meant for this at all, and I am trying to find that purpose again but I have lost it somewhere along the way!"

"A crisis of faith, then? If it makes you feel any better, I've seen it before."

It didn't make Chrisenya feel much of anything. Hers was surely unique, as unique as the thing that had brought her to the Sororitas in the first place; but then, that was why it was Canoness Innogen, and not Sister-Superior Bellara or Hospitaller-Superior Doloria or anyone else, whom Chrisenya had sought.

"Not just of faith," Chrisenya said. "But of capability. I have… I have not taken well to the rigors of training. Not a day has gone by when I have not faced Sister-Superior Coriah's lash, and even on the nights when I can sleep, I drift off a jagged pile of bruised skin, sore muscles, and aching bones. It is only by going to… great lengths, that I have managed to make it as far as I have."

Canoness Innogen nodded. "I can't help you with that. If you truly think the physical requirements are beyond you, then there is always the non-militant orders to take you in. But my understanding was that such a thing was unacceptable."

"I do not know anymore."

"If you want to make the transference, there's no dishonor in it. I can—"

"No! I need you to convince me. Or give me what I need to convince myself."

Canoness Innogen raised an eyebrow, and folded her hands before her. "What do you need, then?"

"When you rescued me, when you pulled me out of that…" Chrisenya could not name it. Even after seven years it was a nameless thing in her consciousness, nameless and warpish agony. "When you did that, did you expect… What am I saying, you could not possibly have expected me to end up here. But what did you expect of me?"

By the look on her face Chrisenya could instantly tell that this was not a question Innogen had expected. She smiled, for that meant that the answer, without any time to prepare, could come only from the heart. Innogen's brow furrowed, and her narrow eyes, leather-brown, burrowed into Chrisenya's mind.

"At first I was sure the Inquisitor would deem you corrupted, and that would be the end of that."

Chrisenya pulled in half a breath. Amidst all the other chaos, she had almost entirely forgotten about the presence of an Inquisitor.

"But once she deemed you pure… I thought you were going to end up at the end of the same path you'd been set on since birth. The ruler of House Thannetch, only in exile on Jericho. It was an obvious place to put you."

Chrisenya shook her head immediately. "A House cannot live on an heir alone, and the all the rest had fallen into ruin, or worse. But that was not what I intended by the question. You had no inkling that I might… join the Ecclesiarchy, or become a soldier, or anything of that nature? No inkling that I might feel a sense of obligation for your saving my life?"

"Oh, I was sure you felt an obligation," Innogen said. "Many of the higher-ups were excited by the prospect of a House Thannetch indebted to the Order of the Silver Scar, until House Thannetch vanished into so much smoke. But I never suspected that you might throw yourself into a new path based on that obligation." Innogen frowned, an expression of concentration deepening into her features. "Is that why you took the orders? Obligation?"

Chrisenya nodded. "Maybe?"

Innogen grunted. "And you've lost that sensation?"

Chrisenya nodded again. "I am afraid if I do not find it again I will lose my way entirely. Or that I never had my way in the first place."

"I think that second instinct is better than the first," Innogen said. "There is a reason why the Sororitas do not conscript, as the guard does. Obligation can bring one far, the Imperium is built upon it, but obligation does not bring about greatness."

Chrisenya winced, shrinking back in her chair. "I've had it all wrong, then. The whole course of my life, decided by a mistake. From the very root."

"Not necessarily. Sometimes we do the right thing for the wrong reason."

"But if I have chosen this path for the wrong reason, then the only reason I stay on it is once more obligation. Except this time to the oath I swore at eighteen, instead of the one I swore at eleven." Chrisenya's hand fell naturally onto the novitiate's ring on her hand, a weight that had grown heavier with each passing day.

"And yet," said Innogen, "You came to me begging that I convince you to stay and fight on. And that first oath, the one sworn only to yourself at eleven years old, you swore specifically that you would take the orders and become a battle-sister, yes?"

Chrisenya shut her eyes tightly and cast her mind back, back to the beginning. "I did, I had it. I wished to serve the Empress, to fight against chaos, to…" She opened her eyes. "Oh, but I've lost it. Whatever feeling I had, I've lost track of it."

"And here we are, back at the beginning," Innogen said with a sigh.

"Indeed."

The pair of them, rescuer and rescued, veteran and trainee, commander and grunt, spent a moment in the silence of each other's company. Canoness Innogen was deep in contemplation, brow furrowed as her hand went to her chin, while Chrisenya looked at her with an empty terror, following her every move. Eventually, Innogen's chest rose and fell.

"When was the last time you did some reading? Serious reading, the Imperiad and the Ten Thousand, and not just the common passages and prayers you liked?"

"Nearly two years," Chrisenya said ashamedly.

Innogen nodded. "Perhaps you should start there."

Chrisenya wished that there could be more. That Innogen could just speak up and say the words that would point her in the right direction. But even in her addled state she knew that it was not to be.

Innogen seemed to understand the urge well. "Only the Empress has all the answers, Chrisenya, and she's not talking.You're a wonderful young lady with a faith that burns brighter than the stars. I'm sure you'll make something of yourself yet."

"Thank you for everything," Chrisenya said with a nod. "I have much to consider. Perhaps that will distract me from my sore muscles."

"What else is prayer for?"

Chrisenya grinned, wordlessly rising from her seat. She gave the Canoness a brief bow and made for the door just as Palatine Maryllis opened it to re-enter. Seeing Chrisenya's expression, Maryllis allowed her to pass her into the hallway beyond and back into the care of the guidance cherub. The door was slow to slip closed again.

"Quite the talk, hm?" said Maryllis.

"Quite the talk indeed. I'll tell you about it later."

The office which she sought was on the seventy-fourth floor (out of two-hundred-and-six), and the door against which she knocked was unassuming flakboard, flanked by a pair of skulls crudely stamped into the ferrocrete.
I suppose even the Imperium's grimdark aesthetic must occasionally succumb to cost-cutting.

The little creature squawked and screeched, but relented after a moment spent venting its displeasure.
Ah. Yes, just casual mention of a creepy vat-grown child cyborg. Just in case anyone forgot the extraordinary gothicness of this setting. 🙂

the Chrisenya of that precise moment could not help but take note—and no more than a note—of the way that Maryllis unnaturally swished her hips from side to side as she walked. She was showing off, though to who Chrisenya couldn't fathom.
She flirting with Innogen? Or showing Chrisenya how it's done?

Sigh, I feel for dear Chrisenya. I don't exactly approve of the Imperium or its faith, but it's the only thing holding the poor girl together. She's extremely overdue for some introspection and self-analysis (ugh), but it won't be easy or fun.

Kind of terrifying to imagine that absolute certainty of faith and purpose if it was never broken by the reality of the Sororitas as a living institution and the simple hard work of being initiated into the orders (or, hopefully, being grounded in comradery with her fellows and becoming part of a community of faith, later on).

Like, if it wasn't for the impression the Battle Sisters left on her and Chrisenya's great vow way back when, Chrisenya could have just serenely martyred herself as like a Redemptionist with a bomb strapped to her chest.

Like, if it wasn't for the impression the Battle Sisters left on her and Chrisenya's great vow way back when, Chrisenya could have just serenely martyred herself as like a Redemptionist with a bomb strapped to her chest.

Well great now I'm imagining the "what if Chrisenya never got rescued by the Sororitas" AU. I don't think I can say what thoughts are coming to mind because they're spoilers but let me assure you they are VERY INTERESTING

Chapter Twenty-Nine
It was a very lucky thing that Chrisenya had been allowed to keep her own copies of some of the key texts, a reward granted to her only after years of essentially flawless record at the Academia Ecclesia Gabriellum. Otherwise she would have had to waste the precious hours of free time allotted to her in between training periods, meals, and services walking back and forth to and from the library, instead of curled around the aging flimsy just under the roof of the bunk-room.

The answers which Chrisenya sought in those ten-thousand-year-old words were not easily found. There was much ink spilled on the nature of warriors and the righteousness of war, but although Chrisenya's mental efforts reached out to grasp for meaning, she could not find anything solid to take and hold. Even with Canoness Innogen's guidance, her mind was still unsettled, constantly stirred and mixed by the pressures of uncertainty and bodily stress. There was only one pill of stimm remaining in the vial, and Chrisenya was saving it for when the urge grew so great that she was left with no other choice. In the end, that time never came. It was interrupted by Severn's return to the drill-squad.

There was a ritual to it, the final step in the un-doing of Severn's sin, one not detailed in the Rule Sororitas. Bellara explained it to them all but a few minutes before the time came, in a small huddle outside of the Repentrium. It was simple but laden with meaning, and even Sister Benedicta understood it easily.

A few minutes later, Severn emerged. To Chrisenya, who had seen her since, and to Bellara, who had no doubt been through this before, her appearance came as no great surprise; but the others gasped or recoiled in shock. Severn was more clothed than she had been in the Repentrium itself, with a simple loincloth to grant her a fragment of modesty, and the chains around her fingers had been removed. There were more than enough marks of her penitence on her flesh. She had visibly lost weight, her muscles slightly more visible across her bulky frame as the fat was stripped away. All across her body were dozens of new scars and bruises. She smelled awful, an aura of bodily stench and smoke radiating off of her.

And it was that pathetic thing with whose forgiveness the drill-squad was charged. They all stood in a row, hands clasped, and watched as Severn walked slowly forward. She started at the far left of the line, collapsing onto one knee before Sister Fidelitas. Her eyes were plaintive and sad as she looked up to meet Fidelitas's gaze.

"You have made up for your crime," said Fidelitas. "I accept you back into the fold."

Fidelitas took her by the wrist and helped her up, the assistance given in spite of the fact that Severn did not need it. Sister Severn walked but a step before turning and kneeling before the next in line, that being Sister Gwynette.

And so on and so forth, down the line. Seven were the members of the drill-squad, and so seven were the acceptances Severn would have to be given in order to regain her status as novitiate. Theoretically, any one of them could disrupt the process by denying her; but the firm eye of Sister-Superior Bellara made sure that all went as expected. The last in the line was Sister Chrisenya.

Severn's eyes were soft, and her lips curled microscopically into the shadow of a smile. Chrisenya took her hand before even saying the words, but the words came.

"You have made up for your crime, Severn. I accept you back into the fold."

Severn leaned forward very slightly and kissed Chrisenya on the knuckles, in full view of the entire squad. Chrisenya's skin went red-hot. Instinctually, as Severn rose, Chrisenya glanced to the other end of the row, where Fidelitas stood; though she looked for just a moment, the expression she saw in that moment was one of seething anger.

And then Severn was standing, and the moment was past. Sister-Superior Bellara had a cloak ready to cover Severn's nudity, and she wrapped it around herself tightly, as though she had just been rescued from frigid cold. She and Chrisenya stayed right at each other's sides for the entire duration of the walk back to the room. Chrisenya wasn't sure if she wanted this, but neither was she uncomfortable enough to shoo Severn away.

There were plenty of looks, of course. Fidelitas's rage. Regina's horrified shock. Sister Serra's look of disgust. Gwynette's awful, lewd smirking. The other members of the squad understood the meaning of the gesture, even if they could not comprehend its source.

As they neared the novitiate's hall, Severn leaned over to whisper into Chrisenya's ear. "When I get dressed, I want you in the bathroom with me. We need to talk."

Chrisenya had already reached the upper limit of her embarrassment. Nothing more that Severn did could shame her further, so she nodded. Once Severn had grabbed one of her uniforms, crudely modified so as to remove the sleeves, she slipped into the bathroom adjoining the bunks, and Chrisenya followed.

Severn stripped and started to replace her underthings. Chrisenya felt the faintest glimmer of awe at the kind of support her breasts required, but she could not allow her focus to fall there.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"You, mostly," said Severn. "You've seemed pretty receptive so far, but I wanted to know if we're… on."

"On?"

"Yeah, you know. On." Severn saw Chrisenya's uncomprehending look and rolled her eyes. "When one person allows another to fuck them, that usually implies that their relationship is more than just squad-mates, but I didn't want to assume."

Chrisenya's heart leapt into her throat. She turned around, facing herself in the mirror above the sink. "That sounds… heretical."

"Isn't. It's discouraged, but as long as we don't let it get in the way of our duties it's not disallowed."

Chrisenya processed the statement for a moment. "Did you read the Rule Sororitas explicitly for rules about…"

"Of course I did. Needed to figure out how much I had to hide."

Chrisenya did not understand why it was that Severn had chosen to take the orders. Fidelitas's motivations, loathsome as they were, she at least understood. She looked at the reflection of Severn's face in the bathroom mirror; though she was partway through getting her tunic on, she was still looking at Chrisenya. She expected an answer.

"I… I… I suppose we are on, yes. But don't take that as an excuse for any sort of lewdness, please."

Severn laughed. "I'll restrain myself as much as I can."

Chrisenya whirled around. "I'm serious, Severn. I will not have you tainting my reputation."

"Fine, fine. Maybe I'll take a page out of Sister Regina's book, show my love only through the most chivalrous of means. And speaking of Regina, I need to…" Severn's eyebrows drew together. "Is today an off day?"

Chrisenya shook her head. "We were given an afternoon, thanks to you."

"Well, shit. I have a lot of business to take care of now that I'm out, and absolutely no idea when I'll have the time."

Severn was fully dressed. She stepped forward, placing her hands around Chrisenya's hips. "Kiss me," she said.

Chrisenya did. It was a brief kiss, lasting only as long as it took for Chrisenya's guilt to make itself known once more.

"Did you quit the stimm?" Severn questioned.

Chrisenya shook her head. "I've tried, but… the only reason I haven't taken any recently is because I'm almost out."

Severn grimaced. "Nasty. Bad enough when I run out of lho, I can't imagine how bad it is with stimm."

"Awful," Chrisenya whispered.

"I was going to talk to Gwynette about this anyway, so I might as well bring that up," Severn said. "Make that my first present to you."

"Stop it," Chrisenya said, pushing her away. "I've indulged you enough by letting you kiss me, do not act so romantic that I swear myself to chastity forevermore in the name of the Empress."

"You couldn't do that, I know you too well… But alright. I'll give. I was never much for romance anyway."

"Yes." Chrisenya looked back to the mirror: the kiss had ruined her lip-wax. "Besides. You've already helped me more than I can put into words. Everything I give you, you have earned."

Severn froze for a moment. The bathroom fell so silent that Chrisenya could hear her throat work to swallow her own phlegm. "And everything I give you, you deserve."

Chrisenya could not hold Severn's gaze an instant longer; the feeling had grown too intense. She turned back to the mirror, using her little finger to adjust the lay of the cosmetics on her face as best as she could. As inimical to her ethics as it was, she had no choice but to focus on the aesthetic over the real.

"See you this evening, Chris," Severn said, before smacking Chrisenya directly on the arse. Chrisenya yelped, entire body going stiff for a moment. She forgot where she was and who had struck her, remembering only the impending uncertainty of potential pain. When she did return to herself, she turned, ready to reprimand Severn. But Severn had already left.

Severn hadn't explained what the business was that she had to take care of, but it was clear that the first piece of business had something to do with Regina. Both of them were absent during dinner, only returning to the bunk room well after the mess-hall had closed, barely avoiding curfew. Whatever it was they were doing, it must have been quite intense indeed, judging by Regina's flushed expression and awkward gait, and Severn's leering, overconfident grin.

Severn and Chrisenya talked only briefly that evening, as quietly as possible, Chrisenya barely willing to say anything at all for fear of being overheard. Severn kissed her on the forehead to bid her goodnight. Misty made sure that she got to watch Severn die a hundred times over that night.

Chrisenya was not entirely unused to the concept of sexual and romantic relations. Such things had been heavily frowned upon at the Gabriellum, but like the majority of things which were frowned upon at the Gabriellum, they were also very nearly omnipresent, to the point where even she had been forced to turn a blind eye to such relations in her career as a Prefect. From without, it had always seemed so very strange, to reorient one's life around another person. Once she would have even questioned the need for such things as kisses and tight embraces, but Fidelitas had taught her well enough the benefit of such things.

Still, Chrisenya had seen dozens of her fellow Progena go mad, their common sense totally overwhelmed by infatuation for the person of their choice. A strange and self-inflicted insanity, a monomania of the heart. For the Empress, perhaps, such singleminded devotion might be expected. But for another human being, one who you may no longer be on speaking terms with come the next month? Bizarre.

All that to say that it was remarkably strange when Chrisenya woke up the next morning to find herself having entered into such a compact, and she felt more or less entirely the same. There were little moments, here and there. At breakfast and midday they sat together, and Severn was sure to bother her about finishing her meals. During endurance training, Severn hung back near the back of the group, occasionally giving Chrisenya a word of encouragement before dashing past the threshold of Coriah's whip at the last second. After weeks of almost exclusively sharing her grappling spars with either Gwynette or Liniel, it was an entirely new experience having to fight against Severn's bulky strength.

But Severn was far from the center of Chrisenya's world. The pain of Coriah's whip on Chrisenya's back was just as stinging as it had always been, the desperate hope that she might someday escape it just as sweet. Sparring did not become less frustrating because Chrisenya had been made love to like never before.

Indeed, the primary concern was not Severn and whatever this new on-ness was that she had established with Chrisenya, but the question of stimm. The urge was returning, the exhaustion and hunger and desperate yearning of withdrawal increasing exponentially. Chrisenya was beginning to fall apart, and she knew that the only way to halt that steady degradation was to take the final pill. The knowledge that Severn intended to do something about it buoyed her for a moment, but when yet another evening came and there had been no news, Chrisenya came to a resolution.

She would take the final pill the next morning. Everything after that was up to the Empress's will. There had been no answers yet, no real change. If her ordained fate was to wash out, then so be it. For the first time in months, as Chrisenya drifted off that night, it was not Misty which had her mind preoccupied.

Severn is winning the competition among the unhinged lesbians for Chrisenya's hand I see. I wouldn't count the others out though, let's see how they respond.

The whole basis of the rivalry between Severn and Regina was about who could get into Chrisenya's pants, and Severn just unambiguously won. She just had to go for a victory lap.

And I don't think there was any discussion/assumption of exclusivity, but I have no idea what the norms are for these people.

Hm. Now I'm wondering whether the Sororitas take a dimmer view of committed long-term relationships between Sisters or of no-strings hookups.

Also, like, I am pretty certain Chrisenya won't wash out, but also I have no idea how she's going to get through this. The physical challenge seems to just be beyond her.

Chapter Thirty
"You know, Chrisenya, that you have already lost," said Misty. She was wearing the face of Fredrika Thannetch again, though she had traded out the fanciful dress for silken trousers, all the better to grind her crotch against the nacreous material of the massive statue of Chrisenya.

"I have not lost until I have given in to you," Chrisenya replied through gritted teeth, struggling to breathe deeply enough to speak at all. "And I will never give in to you."

Misty sucked on her teeth. "You misunderstand. I am not the one to whom you must give in. I am merely the instrument. It is the Queen who will have the honor of filling you body and soul. And you have very much given in to the Queen."

Misty ran her fingers—Fredrika's strong fingers—along the statue's midsection, cupping its carved breasts in her palms. The statue was larger than the real thing, about two and a half meters and steadily growing in size. It must have weighed hundreds of kilograms, and every single gram of that weight was pressing down steadily onto Chrisenya's chest. With every extra centimeter of height the statue gained, the pressure grew stronger; inevitably her ribs would shatter.

"Think about it, Chrisenya. You fuck. You love. You drug yourself to the gills and call it dedication to the Empress. What could one call such things if not devotion to Her?"

Chrisenya struggled to answer. Just to taunt her, Misty kissed the statue on the lips, with a great deal of passion.

"I have not given in!" Chrisenya screamed. "The Empress protects!"

"But for how long? She certainly did not protect your family. Someday you will cross the line, indulge too deeply, and by the time you realize that you have been forsaken, it will already be too late."

"I will not," Chrisenya gasped. "There is a limit, I know it. I rule my pleasure!"

"If you ruled it, then why do you still—"

Misty stopped. The statue's growth suddenly ceased, and all at once its weight seemed to become less real. The mist flowing around her, lapping at the altar to which Chrisenya had been pinned, began to rise up and thicken.

"What…?" Said Chrisenya.

Misty looked up at something, as though she had just noticed a wall clock announcing the end of her appointed hour. "Damn that girl," she said to herself. Then, to Chrisenya, "You've been spared, for now. See you in the next dream, my beloved."

Chrisenya was dropped down into the mist, blinded and deafened, and for a moment she thought this was some new torture. Then she felt a hand on her shoulder gently shaking her, and she realized that in fact she was not blind at all. Her eyes were closed, and she was in bed.

"Chris. Wake up. It's important."

Chrisenya recognized Severn's voice. It was the middle of the night, and she had never been so exhausted; she could not bring herself to open her eyes. Severn could tell that she was awake, of course, especially once she started tossing and turning. There was a sudden sting of pain, and Chrisenya jolted upright. Severn had slapped her again.

"What is it?" Chrisenya hissed.

"Important business," Severn said. She had one leg still on the ladder up to Chrisenya's bunk, the other leg slung over the railing. "I think I've figured out how I can help you survive all this. But it has to happen now, before anybody notices."

Chrisenya rubbed her cheek. "Don't strike me like that."

"I needed to wake you up somehow, without waking anybody else."

"Then hold my eyes open, or tickle the back of my hand, something rational. It was bad enough the first time."

"Are you gonna come with me or not?" Severn said.

Chrisenya had to seriously ponder the question. She was exceedingly tired, and there was more training to be done the next morning. "Do you really believe this will help me?"

"Better to try something than do nothing."

"Fine."

Severn, as it turned out, was quite adept at navigating the Abbey after curfew, though not quite as good at it as Chrisenya was. She knew how to stick to the places where one would be less likely to be seen, and how to check for patrols without exposing herself. More important than any of that was the fact that they were traveling in a direction that Chrisenya had never thought to go before. The novitiate's hall was nearer to the wall of the Abbey than to its center, and the closer to the wall one went, the more the landscape became dominated by the sorts of purely logistical structures which a sister had no reason to engage with.

It was amidst the warrens of ferrocrete, places built more for tech-priests and servitors than for proper human life, that Severn's destination lay. It appeared to be an unremarkable corner, the intersection of a vehicle garage and a defensive emplacement, until Sister Severn dropped onto her hands and knees and crawled into a gap between the ferrocrete and the compacted dirt, one only barely large enough for Severn to fit through. Chrisenya felt no fear, though the eight-meter gap was far too long for her to see to the opposite side, and not long after both of them had emerged into a long-unused chamber strewn with the detritus of abandoned engineering work.

"Well I'll be damned," said Sister Gwynette, leaning against the ruined ceramite shell of a Rhino. "I didn't think you'd actually get her to go along with this."

"I may have had to bend the truth a little bit," Severn said. "I was serious when I said that I thought this would help you, though."

Chrisenya spun around like a dancer, but without any of the finesse. "What is this place? Why are you here?"

"Because the tech-priests still think that the door to this place is welded shut," said Gwynette. "And that misapprehension makes it very useful for anybody in the Abbey who wants to break the little rules. The ones against contraband, to be specific."

Chrisenya felt strangely numb. She had lost the right to be incensed by the concept of illicit activity from the moment she had accepted Gwynette's offer, and lost it once again after what she had done in the Repentrium. Like it or not, Chrisenya was a violator of the laws of the Order.

"You did say you were going to arrange something with Gwynette," she muttered to herself.

Severn folded her arms. "Yes, I did. Do you want to explain the situation, or should I?"

"I'll do it," Gwynette said. "Sister Chrisenya, did you happen to see that macrocannon on the wall near here as you were coming in?"

She had, though it had faded mostly into the background. A vague shape against the night sky, visible only as a gap in the stars. Chrisenya nodded.

"Well, built into the wall directly underneath that macrocannon is one of seventy-two barracks lining the wall of the Abbey, used by the PDF auxiliaries. And some of those PDF auxies really like the idea of sampling those delicious Sororitas-grade rations, or being able to trade misplaced bolter shells for gild whenever they go on leave. Of course, the auxies aren't allowed to set foot inside the Abbey, it's holy ground, so the exchange of goods has to get… complicated."

Chrisenya's jaw fell open. "You want me to be your ollram?"

Gwynette nodded. "Severn here says you managed to sneak into the Repentrium without being caught. That kind of slippyness is worth a hell of a lot. In fact I'm pretty sure, on the net, I'd end up owing you."

Chrisenya was liking this less and less. "And how, exactly, does this help me with anything at all?" she asked Severn.

"Well, first of all, it means you'll never have to worry about running out of stimm again. Or anything else you might happen to need that Gwynette can provide."

Gwynette winked, an act which Chrisenya found utterly galling. But that was besides the point.

"Secondly… well, calling you an 'ollram' isn't actually the worst comparison. That PDF barracks where the exchange happens? It's built about two-thirds up the side of the wall, and the lift requires a key. You'll be climbing about a hundred meters vertically each way."

"…up a sheer wall?"

"It's more of a scaffold," Gwynette said, as though she were embarrassed to even be having the conversation. "Not entirely certain what the intended purpose of it was, but I'm fairly certain by now we're the primary users."

"But that's besides the point, Gwynette," Severn said, giving her a quick glare. "The essential point is this. Gwynette has a bag with the things we're smuggling out. You put that on, climb the scaffold, sneak through the barracks to the exchange point, drop off our end of the trade, pick up the bag with all of the things being smuggled in, put that on, climb back down, and make your way back here." She paused, making sure Chrisenya had no questions. She could already see the whole process in her mind's eye, and it seemed far from easy. "And you'll do that every few nights for the foreseeable future. How does that sound, Chris?"

"Completely mad. I can hardly survive the rigors of our standard training regimen and you think that piling this on will help? And all of that assumes that I even want to be involved with an illegal smuggling operation!"

"'I don't want to be involved in an illegality' says the fucking stimm addict," Gwynette muttered. "You were never going to get this to work, Severn. She's an idealist, she's not going to do this because she's getting something out of it."

"That's not true. She's going to do it exactly because she's getting something out of it." Severn looked Chrisenya directly in the eyes. "And that thing is survival."

"Pardon?"

"Chris, it's no big secret that you aren't handling training well. Everyone can see it. And from what you've told me, it sounds like a matter of time before you either break down and wash out, or literally work yourself to death."

"And in what galaxy does this do anything other than accelerate that process?"

Severn folded her arms. "Not all practice is the same, you know. Nearly six hours gap between when you would be doing this and the rest of training, for one thing. And the verticality puts a totally different sort of strain on the body than anything else we're doing. But neither of those is the most important thing."

Chrisenya giggled. "Oh, yes, I'd almost forgotten. More exertion and less sleep, exactly what I need."

Gwynette shot Severn a glare, as though begging her to give up, but Severn was entirely undaunted. "The most important thing of all is that, unlike what we do out on the training field? This has a purpose. It's not exactly a higher calling, I know, but it's still something to believe in, even if that something is just getting Gwynette's glowing approval for a job well done."

"She's right, you know. I'm a kind and benevolent boss, that's me."

Chrisenya felt uncomfortably visible. She had mentioned her purposelessness to Severn, once, in a moment of weakness. It was a typically Severn-ish method of solving her problems; that was to say, entirely orthogonal to any sensible approach.

"There's no chance that I'll be able to keep up the pace during the day while still doing this at night," said Chrisenya, giving Severn a glare of her own.

"Then don't. Slow down. Be shit. You'll have a chance to excel once your head's above water."

"I can't do that!" said Chrisenya. "It may sound easy to say, but you're actually doing quite well at this. You can afford to not give your all. I can't."

"Really?" Severn raised an eyebrow. "It looks to me like you still get the business end of the whip whether you give your all or not. If you need to spare your energy in order to make actual progress as opposed to just showing that you're the biggest martyr in the room, then spare the damned energy."

Chrisenya stepped forward, close enough that she could be certain her words would still be understood even at a low hiss. "You and I swore the same oath when we took the orders. An oath to give everything we had to the Adepta Sororitas. I will not violate that oath."

"Do you want to be a battle-sister or not, Chris? You can either achieve that goal or you can stick to all the rules. You can't do both."

Severn reached out, cupping Chrisenya's cheek. It was a dirty trick, and one that worked flawlessly, as the balm of skin contact melted all of Chrisenya's wrath.

"What is the point in attempting to become a soldier of the Empress if I can only achieve it through disobedience?" Chrisenya said, an even softer whisper that she desperately hoped Sister Gwynette could not hear.

"Sometimes you have to achieve perfection through imperfection. That's just a mystery of existence. How many saints can you name who got that way because they were nearly executed for some crime, or coming too close to the temptations of chaos and nearly giving in?"

Chrisenya could name eight off the top of her head. Her namesake was not one of them; indeed it was her absolute refusal to give in, even for a moment, to the xenos that made her famous. What an unfortunate coincidence, she thought to herself, as she gently pushed Severn's hand away from her face.

"Alright. I'll do it."

One fear was resolved almost immediately. The pack containing the anonymous materials being traded out of the Abbey appeared quite heavy, and was about the same size as the bolter that had regularly threatened to rip both of her arms off every morning. But as Gwynette showed her how to secure the plasflex straps around her torso, it soon became clear that this was a much easier load.

After that came the lengthy briefing about how she would navigate the barracks. The PDF soldiers making up the other half of the operation had apparently left marks in the walls to indicate direction, but Gwynette spoke from experience when she said that they were easy to miss in the dark. Gwynette didn't let Chrisenya leave until she could recite a list of over a dozen turns in order. Sister Severn and Sister Gwynette both bid her goodbye, and the Empress's luck. They would be waiting for her back in the underground garage.

It was a short walk to the foot of the wall, and a yet shorter walk to find the start of the scaffold that Gwynette had described. Looking up from its base made it seem as though the wall extended all the way up into the clouds, a journey without end and without respite. Chrisenya put her hands on the rungs of what was no doubt merely the first of many, many ladders to come, and hauled herself aloft.

Chapter Thirty-One
Halfway up the side of the scaffold, beset by a hundred thousand renewed aches, Chrisenya was forced to admit to herself that Severn was right. This was, after all, quite different from the training field.
It was much more staccato, for one thing: there were brief bursts of activity as she hauled herself over another ledge or up another ladder, followed by a few seconds of simple walking across the plasteel lattice platforms that made up the majority of the scaffold. If she ever felt like it, the option was even fully open to simply collapse against the wall itself and take a breather. She rarely gave herself that opportunity, of course, but it was very much there.
Every repetition of that process brought her higher. One by one, the roofs of the nearest Abbey structures fell away as she surpassed them, and more and more Chrisenya was exposed to the cool nighttime wind of Roctaln III. It looked about to rain again, the heady glow of the planet mostly obscured by threatening clouds. The finish, the top, was a fixed position, not the ever-shifting target that was the approval or disapproval of a Sister-Superior armed with a whip. For all that Chrisenya was sore and slow and burdened by the weight on her back, smuggling illegally-stolen materials out of the Abbey was a strangely calming process.
Chrisenya was rapidly losing track of why she was doing this. Of why she was doing anything, for that matter. All the calm had sapped her sense of purpose entirely and replaced it with layers of self-referential absurdity. Why was she doing this? Because she was doing it. She was absolutely riddled with sleeplessness, and her body was a network of pains.

A prayer to the Empress formed on Chrisenya's lips, but only a few scattered words emerged before crumbling away. The Empress's light formed a brief glimmer at the edge of her thoughts, invoking only the faintest consciousness of their existence before drifting away just as the prayer did. An old fear began to re-emerge: was this all merely a nightmare? Every time she levered herself up another level, every time her eyes drifted shut and had to be forced to re-open, Chrisenya expected to see her mother's face before her, with Misty's brilliantly purple eyes peering out from behind it.

But that moment never came. Against all odds, Chrisenya carried herself up to where the scaffold ended, and silently slipped in through the window of the PDF barracks. The next stage would be difficult as well, but in an entirely different fashion. Technically speaking, the punishment for smuggling, combined with curfew-breaking and entering into disallowed areas, was a lengthy stay in the Repentrium. But the PDF had much greater authority over their own barracks: they were well within their rights to shoot her dead on the spot, and their lasguns were more than up to the task.

Turn by turn Chrisenya crept through the barracks. She valued silence over speed, and so moved mostly on her hands and knees, looking up only to check for the presence of the marks on the walls. In the dark of night, the bare ferrocrete shell of the barracks appeared almost entirely empty and abandoned. Chrisenya could hear the sound of patrolling auxins in the distance, boots stomping on ferrocrete as they muttered to each other.

And then, on the floor, so close that Chrisenya very nearly crushed it under the heel of her hand, a strawberry. Chrisenya had never seen a strawberry, and she hadn't the faintest idea how she knew that the thing sitting on the floor before her was a strawberry, but there it was. The strawberry was the breaking point. All logic immediately fled Chrisenya's mind, all memory and sense overwhelmed by the constant crushing monotony of first the climb and then the lengthy sneaking through an endless labyrinth. It all seemed so pointless, so meaningless, and the absurdity of a fresh strawberry sitting on a ferrocrete floor brought it all into such sharp relief that Chrisenya had to clap a hand over her mouth to stop from laughing aloud.

What am I doing here, Chrisenya thought. What am I doing anywhere? Had she been doing anything at all, she wondered, or was this all just the unending extension of the days of torment seven years before? She had never managed to find the answer to why she had taken the orders, if obligation was a fool's game and her life had meaning after all.

Suddenly, footsteps came steadily down the hall, accompanied by muttering, the first male voice Chrisenya had heard in easily fifty days. He was too quiet to be heard clearly, but as Chrisenya scrambled across the floor to find a hiding spot, she was fairly sure she made out "sneak" and "blast," neither of which were good words to be hearing. A hiding spot proved easy to find: a small ventilation duct, just barely sized such that Chrisenya and her cargo could be jammed inside of it while the patrolling soldier passed them by. That gentle sense of pressure, the overriding fear, stained Chrisenya's ennui and existential dread like ink injected into gelatin; and somehow, an old memory was jostled loose.

The door to the holding cell creaked softly as it opened, the aging flakboard scraping against the floor with a sound that was quickly overpowered by the thunking of Sororitas battle-armor against deck-plate. Celestian-Superior Innogen scanned the chamber with two quick flicks of her head, right then left, and saw it empty.

"Saint? Where are you?"

She wasn't called Saint back then. But she wasn't called Chrisenya either, and with each day that passed she could attach what she was called then back to herself less and less.

"I'm right here," said the Saint.

Innogen briefly put on a confused face as she narrowly avoiding bumping her hip against the cell's small table. When she saw who she was looking for, her expression of confusion grew. She knelt down in front of the bed.

"What are you doing under there?"

"I started hearing…" The Saint flinched; she wasn't supposed to talk about that. "I'm praying. This is the quietest place in the room."

"Under the bed?"

The Saint nodded.

Celestian-Superior Innogen shook her head. "Would you mind coming out of there? We need to talk about something important."

"'Empress protect and Empress guide this pitiful vessel, grant strength beyond this mere shell of humanity by the exertion of thine will. Thou art the supreme of all mortal creatures, and only by thine light may I be guided. Forgive this fallible vessel…'"

"We'll have this conversation down here, then. We're about to dock with the Academia Ecclesia Gabriellum. Do you know what that is?"

"No."

"It's a school, for people like you whose families aren't around for them anymore. You're going to be staying there, at least a little while, until one of your aunts or uncles finds you and takes you in."

"I thank thee, my Empress, for all the blessings that thou hast foisted upon me, though I do not deserve them."

Her hands were so much fatter back then. They clasped together tightly as though they might lose grip on themselves while she prayed with pitter-patter words.

"Are you sure you want to stay down there? There's going to be food coming in a couple of minutes."

The Saint looked up at Innogen's weary eyes. Wonder and horror danced across her features. "Will you stay with me? Just for a little bit?"

"Of course I will. I've stayed with you this far, haven't I?"

The Saint crawled forward. In truth, she had stopped hearing things she wasn't supposed to hear minutes ago, but she was still afraid that any second now they might come back. They didn't.

"Atta boy," Celestian-Superior Innogen said, picking her up off the floor. "You're being very brave, I hope you know that."

There was no Innogen to help her up as Chrisenya crawled out of the air vent, certain that the patrolling auxiliary had gone. She dusted herself off as best as she could before continuing to where the exchange was to be made, but moved much more quickly than she had before. She was energized by the power of revelation.

What was the bravest thing Chrisenya had ever done? Innogen had called her brave all those years ago, but had she ever actually done anything brave? Was it bravery merely to do what was expected, to receive an order and follow it, or did bravery require something more, something active? Was it possible that climbing the wall, that breaking the rules, that what Chrisenya was doing at that very moment as she slipped through the hallways of the PDF barracks was, in fact, the bravest thing that she had ever done? Chrisenya's thoughts had been muddled for so long, ever since her fall on the training field, that the crystalizing clarity felt like the touch of the Empress.

The second bag, identical in structure to the first but stuffed to the gills with material, was jammed into another ventilation duct and hidden from view by a piece of stray flakboard. It took a few strong tugs to unstick it from the hiding place, at which point Chrisenya set to the process of undoing every buckle on the bag she presently had strapped to her. There was an odd fragrance to the new bag, something spiced. Memories continued to pour forth unbidden.

The food wasn't very good. All it was was a bit of dense baked bread-or-something-like-it, a dollop of unnameable processed fruit, and a slab of chewy meat. There was no richness to it, no spice, and hardly any salt. The Saint picked away at it with a fork and knife, barely interested.

It was pretty typical by the standards of the food she'd end up eating on the Gabriellum, or in the Abbey for that matter. Chrisenya hardly even remembered the taste of what she used to have for every meal on Aktranis, and she wasn't sure she'd want to remember if given the choice.

"You need to eat more," Innogen said. "I know it's probably hard under the circumstances, Empress knows I've lost my appetite before, but you've still got growing to do."

The Saint didn't want to talk about food. Between the long days of starvation and the gorge that followed, she didn't like thinking about food.

"You lose your appetite?"

"Of course. There are things you see out here, when you're fighting the good fight, that make your stomach turn."

The Saint shoved a forkful of food into her mouth, then looked up into Innogen's eyes, examining every contour of her greasy, broad features. Then she swallowed. "What's that thing you're wearing?"

"What do you mean? My armor?" Innogen tapped on her bicep, creating the dull clank of ceramite against ceramite.

"Yes, that. It doesn't look like normal armor."

"It's power armor," Innogen explained. "The outer layers are protective, but under that there's a layer of artificial muscle. I'm twice as strong in this armor as I am out of it, and it feels weightless even though it's actually about sixty kilos."

"Does the chest help with that?"

Innogen made a very strange face. "No, the chest is… aesthetic. There's a law, you see, called the Decree Passive, says that only women are allowed to serve in the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy."

It hadn't hurt too much at the time. More of a challenge to be overcome than a proper barrier, or at least that was how Chrisenya had processed it. Still, she wasn't unaware of her perceived gender, and even after so many years she could still remember the sting, no matter how minute.

Celestian-Superior Innogen smirked. "Sorry. If you want to fight for the faith, you're going to have to settle for second best."

"Which is?"

"Well, chances are you're going to end up doing the same thing your father did, ruling House Thannetch and all its affairs, and don't get me wrong, rulership's an honorable thing. But if you want to spread the faith, the rest of the Ecclesiarchy's open to both sexes."

Spreading the faith was good. The Saint shuddered to imagine that there were other people out there who needed it as much as she had and didn't have a Lord Thannetch around to teach it to them. "But you don't just spread the faith."

"No, you're right. But our making war is just as holy as preaching. We bring the light of the Empress wherever we go, and one cannot bring light without banishing the darkness. So long as the Imperium exists, there will be those who wish to destroy it."

Bringing light. The Saint's eyes lit up as she imagined it. Bringing light to a dark galaxy, with boltgun and flamer in hand.

The new bag, the goods being smuggled into the Abbey instead of the other way, was substantially heavier with supplies. But even if it had been three times the weight, Chrisenya would not have been slowed down. She was pregnant with glorious purpose, the manic delight of understanding all upon her as she slipped piscine through the enclosure of the barracks.
Chrisenya had been blind for years. Thoughts had been hidden in the back of her mind, suppressed by foreign words, and at last they were being dislodged. There was no happiness in this revelation, mania was not glee, but there was something beyond primitive joy in the grim purpose which had begun to infect Sister Chrisenya. She almost hurled herself out of the window that led back to the top of the scaffold, and she drank in the chill night wind with her hands so tight around the railing that they threatened to crush it like clay.
Gravity was on her side, and for the first time in so very long, the Empress was as well. She had thrust her mind back in time, to those crucial moments when Innogen had steered her life, and through the clarity of experience she had seen something that her younger self had missed. She took the ladder two rungs at a time.

There had been a woman named Thebe, who Chrisenya had been quite fond of when she was younger. She worked in the Thannetch spire, for her voice was the most beautiful in all of Aktranis they said. Often, when there were parties, she would sing songs in a long-forgotten tongue that would make the whole air thrum with emotion, be it sombre reflection or lust for life. Chrisenya had watched her often, indulging in the sin of envy as she drew every eye in the chamber.

But despite her beauty, when the tallies had hit the floor, she had made the wrong choice. It wasn't her fault; none could make any complaint about her character, other than that she had made the wrong decision and chosen heresy over loyalty. And it was for that reason that Chrisenya had had the pleasure of watching her die.

It had been during the rescue, towards the end of it, when fighting had turned to dying. Chrisenya herself had been half-conscious at the time, and the half of her that was awake at all was focused on different matters, what with Misty almost entirely out of the nightmare and into reality pushing endlessly against the inside of her skull. And yet, somehow, in the midst of all that chaos, Chrisenya's eyes had opened just a crack, and focused on Thebe's face. She was carrying a jagged knife in one hand and a laspistol in the other, but unlike the rest she hadn't flown into a fury just yet. She was waiting, waiting for the line of battle to shift over her way, when for a brief moment she had made eye contact with Chrisenya. She had looked concerned, as though worried that the stress of the battle would prove too much for the little girl.

And then the first bolter shell had gone right through the middle of her chest, under the ribcage, punching a puckered hole in her torso and leaving a spray of blood that hovered in the air for only a camera-flash moment before the shell burst behind her, throwing her to the floor with an awful crack. Thebe had lived on for just a little while longer, air wheezing through her wound, clawing against the floor, until the second bolt shell had come. It took off her head, her neck, and part of her shoulder, sending one arm spinning madly across the floor. Celestian-Superior Innogen had walked right over her corpse as she led the charge across the chamber, smoke still dripping from the barrel of her bolt pistol.

Death was death. It wasn't spreading light or banishing darkness, it wasn't spreading the faith, firing a bolt pistol into a heretic's head was just killing. To dress it up in fanciful language was to obscure the truth, to muddy it and deny the brilliant clarity that was the power to preserve a life or end it. Innogen, wise and skilled though she was, had gotten it entirely wrong.

The Sororitas were holy, yes. Ordained in the name of the Empress, they performed slaughter with an efficiency otherwise unmatched within the Imperium, and Chrisenya was not going to deny her role any longer. She was a holy warrior, and to be a holy warrior meant not merely to fight while having faith, not merely to hold faith in the depths of battle, but to be executioner in the Empress's name. And an executioner must be sharp. She must be cool, she must be hard, and she must understand precisely who and what she is.

Which meant that by acknowledging herself as an executioner, Chrisenya reasoned, she had already achieved more than many battle-sisters did in their entire lives. She allowed herself only a flicker of pride at this accomplishment, before drowning it under the tide of strength that was true purpose. That tide carried her all the way down the wall, through the outskirts of the Abbey, even crawling through the dirty tunnel under the ferrocrete wall. When she stood up in the underground garage on the other side, Sisters Severn and Gwynette greeted her fondly.

"Well would you look at that," said Gwynette. "I'd almost thought you wouldn't make it."

Severn smiled. "Good work, Chris."

Chrisenya crossed the room, feverish with want. She did not even bother to unbuckle her load at first, and instead walked right up into Severn's personal space, grabbed her tunic by the collar, and pulled her down to her level before kissing her firmly on the mouth.

"That was terrifying," Chrisenya admitted while Severn blushed and mumbled to herself. "Incredible, but terrifying. Now help me get this thing off of me, I want to get to sleep as soon as I can. I think tomorrow's going to be different."

Back