SlotItem
HEADCap
TORSOQuilted Armor
ARMSGloves
LEGS
NECK
LEFT FINGER
RIGHT FINGER
ZERO THE SHADOW DOG +1 Action in combat, passive.

BAG
1x Long Sword*
1x Hand Axe
2x Short Bow
1x Short Sword
1x Club
1x Quilted Armor
1x Health Potion
2x Minor Health Potion
1x Minor Stamina Potion
1x Scroll of IDENTIFY
2x Bag of Gold
1x Gloves

COMPANIONS
  1. Boneyguard, SKELETON WARRIOR. Carrying LONGSWORD, damage 3/5/7/11 speed 3
  2. Skeleton Warrior no.1 Damage 2/4/6/10 speed 3
  3. Zombie no.1 6/8/10/14, speed 2. On hit: inflicts DISEASE condition

SKILLS
ARCANE+5 KNOWLEDGE+5 ESCAPE +5
Affliction
  • Core: Enemies must re-roll 20s
  • Imbalance: Encounter, ongoing. Reduce target Attacks by 1 per turn until end of encounter
Animate Undead
  • Core: Using any Skills from Animate Undead costs 1 Health. Destroy a summoned undead to heal 1 health.
  • Skeleton Warrior: At-Will, Summon. Health 1, Range 1, Damage 2/4/6/10, speed 3
  • Zombie: Encounter, Summon. Health 2, Range 1, Damage 6/8/10/14, speed 2. On hit: inflicts DISEASE condition
  • Zombie Wall: Encounter, Summon. Health 2, Range 1, Damage 8/10/12/16, speed 5. Forms impassable barrier, lasts 3 turns.
Shadow
  • Core: +2 Shadow Damage to all attacks
  • Mind Flay: Encounter, Shadow. Target needs to pass a DC [10 + WIS MOD+ the value of your current Sanity] test. If it fails, it loses 1 Sanity.
  • Shadow Wrath: At-will, Melee Attack, Ranged Attack. Reduce Sanity by 1 to add [WIS MOD] to damage for the attack.
  • Soul Reaper: At-will, Melee Attack, Ranged Attack. If target is KILLED this turn, add 1 Sanity

codeExits (First Digit)Special (Second Digit)
1NorthStair UP
2SouthStair DOWN
3WestLocked Doors
4EastMonster
5North, SouthEvent
6North, WestNPC
7North, EastHazard
8South, WestTrap (Armed)
9South, EastTrap (Disarmed)
AWest, EastEmpty
BNorth, South, West?????
CNorth, South, EastTreasure Chest
DNorth, West, EastEmpty Chest
ESouth, West, EastEnchantment
FNorth, South, East, WestBOSS ROOM
0SECRET ROOMAccess to Secret Room

@=You, x=unexplored room

ENCOUNTERS 36 RESTS 2
(1)HIJKLMN
H9AAAEAAA3F
I1A34F9AD3A
J9AEABA
KCA64CA8A9AE38A
L553A6A5ACEBA1A
M559AFADA6E
Nx7AD13A
Locations of note:
II- two ZOMBIE DOG PACKS
MM- Inspiring Statue (used)
KM- West door failed to be picked open
LL- Well (used)
LH- Stream
MH- Sinkhole

Last edited:
Room 34/35- Miniboss
You draw your sword and pause.

This one is unusual, you sense a mind behind the animating energies, so you reach out and crush it. It puts up a fight, but eventually shatters under your dark magics. The sound of your footsteps is accompanied by the clatter of bones as they hit the floor.

But then the rattle doesn't stop. You turn back, only to meet a flight of arrows head-on.

The SKELETON ARCHER is standing, and boy oh boy does it look pissed. Which when you think about it is kind of impressive, given the whole lack of motile facial features that skulls have going on.

This time, you draw your sword and spring forward, weaving nets of magic to tangle the puppet strings animating the bedamned thing with your off-hand, while your sword weaves a deadly pattern of steel which neatly dismembers the SKELETON ARCHER.

BONEYGUARD lashes out with a quick strike, shattering the skull.

You find a Minor Health Potion. You gain +1 WIS.

You have gained a LEVEL! Dregan is now level 7!
You gain 1 SKILL POINT! It may be spent on a COMMON SKILL or CLASS SKILL.
ACROBATICS ARCANE ATHLETICS CRAFT DIPLOMACY ENDURANCE ESCAPE KNOWLEDGE LOCKPICK MEDICINE NATURE PERCEPTION SNEAK
PANDEMIC; PUTREFY; BREAKDOWN/ SHADOW FORM

You head EAST.

STAIR/BOSS CHECK-18-OH FUCK

The Grand High Poobah Of The Nine Hells is enjoying a morning constitutional.

Will you FIGHT, RUN, or DIE?

SKELETON ARCHER CHAMPION Initiative 3
DREGAN Initiative 3

SAC moves from Location 2 to Location 3. SAC gets +1 to attack!

DREGAN uses Mind Flay, DC 17. SAC rolls 18, passes
DREGAN uses Mind Flay, DC 17. SAC rolls 17, passes.
ZERO grants DREGAN an extra action! DREGAN uses Mind Flay, DC 17. CP rolls 5, fails. SAC loses 1 Sanity. SAC is reduced to a gibbering wreck.

Champion Skill- REBORN
SAC revives at full health!
SAC moves from Location 3 to Location 4. SAC gets +2 to attack!
SAC fires bow for Max(16) Half(14) Crit(20) for 4, 3, 7. DREGAN takes 2 to Torso and 1 to Legs.
SAC moves to Location 1.

DREGAN uses Imbalance, SAC gets -1 to attack.
DREGAN moves from Location 6 to Location 5
ZERO grants DREGAN an extra action! DREGAN gathers power, +1 to attack

SAC moves from Location 1 to Location 2. Imbalance and Guerilla cancel.

DREGAN moves from Location 5 to Location 4
DREGAN moves from Location 4 to Location 3
ZERO grants DREGAN an extra action! DREGAN activates SOUL REAPER. Attacks SAC with short sword for Max(17) Crit(21) Max(17) Min(10) for 7, 11, 7, 3. SAC takes 2 to Torso, 1 to Arms, 1 to Legs. It's pulling a Black Knight.

BONEYGUARD whacks it, it ded. +1 Sanity

[X] RUN
-[X] If unseen yet, ESCAPE very carefully. Otherwise HOOF IT, NECROSMASHER.
[X] How much are you being paid for this again? Maybe a nice bottle of DEFINITELY NOT CIDER or a SILLY SPOOKY SKELTON DANCE would've distracted the boss from murderizing your SQUISHY MORTAL BODY.
[X] Common Skill: Escape

Edit: my eyes kept skipping over the escape skill for some reason. Sorry. Didn't know it existed in the initial voting

Last edited:
ATHLETICS is used for things like climbing over rubble, moving along a narrow ledge, or swimming. ESCAPE is the skill to GTFO

Room 35- DUNGEON CLEAR!
ESCAPE! Ha, yes, that would certainly be an important skill for a dungeon delver such as yourself.

ESCAPE check passed!

You turn and book it.

You gain +1 DEX!

Now, you don't quite have enough Stamina to make it to the STAIRS in one go, but there's nothing hostile between you and the way back to TOWN, so we can let it slide this time.

Ahem.

DUNGEON ONE
CLEAR

That's it for now, everyone, thank you for sticking with me, I had no idea that we'd get this far. The ruleset I used is an old preview of Map Maker Adventures, and only has a very limited selection of monsters and doesn't have the magic item tables. When the full version comes out, if people want I can bring back DREGAN and BONEYGUARD*, or we could start with a fresh character.

I'd love to hear what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy, what worked or didn't work, or if you have any questions about the world.

*To give more options, I may make BONEYGUARD a PC, involving GUARDIAN and SWORDSMANSHIP and one other, possibly FERAL or MARTIAL ARTS given how often you've had BONEYGUARD kick in the door.

Aw, over already? Well it was cool while it lasted. And funny. Boneyguard came through and the Necromancer got very involved in smashing things instead of being a traditional caster. Love that sort of ridiculousness.

Thanks for the ride, samdamandias. If or when you come back to mma, having Dregan show up even as a cameo would be pretty nice.

I'd love to hear what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy, what worked or didn't work
The map legend was hard to read. It might be more readable if exits were denoted with ASCII codes like ╩,╔, ╬, leaving only the second letter to denote a special feature.
Would be even better as a picture, but that might've been harder to edit.

There are few enough rogue-likes that I enjoyed it purely for the fact that it was there, but it'd be nice to have more features to interact with. and more ways to do it. Then again, low-level roguelikes don't have many opportunities to develop or use different skillsets. CRAFT, DIPLOMACY, NATURE, PERCEPTION? What are those even for?

I nearly forgot what we were here for, so used to killing enemies. It looks like it is the more rewarding play than merely dodging them. Even though you still get stat points for evading the encounter, you don't get loot, you still get shot at (repeatedly, if you fail a check), and backtracking would put you in harm's way. No wonder we went the way of a muscle wizard.

I suspect having a lot of minions made the run significantly easier for us, but maybe that was the point of picking a Necromancer class.

SAN damage never amounted to much after we found a way to restore it. Never felt like a resourse that should be tracked after that.

Nearly drowning in a river was funny. The bane of many a low-level character.

Last edited:
Back