Deus Ex: The Sixth World [Deus Ex: Human Revolution/Shadowrun]

[X] Research Hugh Darrow online. Used to be you had no reason to care the man existed beyond being one of Sarif's friends. Now his tech's the only reason you're still breathing. As good a time as any to educate yourself.

[X] Research Hugh Darrow online. Used to be you had no reason to care the man existed beyond being one of Sarif's friends. Now his tech's the only reason you're still breathing. As good a time as any to educate yourself.

Mixing multiple kinds of cereal in a single bowl?

This kind of horror is exactly why I didn't vote for food. Oh well, at least Jensen enjoyed it.

Let's check on what Darrow is getting up to in this new age. I wonder if the Shadowrun half of the crossover has any help for his issues.

If nothing else, at least we can get some of the background on augmentations.

New

... Sure, why not.

[X] Watch the TED talk Taggart gave last year online. There's a couple of bits in there about augmentation issues. You can calibrate your bullshit radar, try and sift something useful out of it. He's a licensed psychiatrist and his right-hand man's a surgeon of some renown - there'll be some medical facts in there, if only as footing for more spin.

...this is now our cannon look, put that on our character page!

[ ] Run a check on Sarif's background and history with the media. You're hardly in any fit state to commence an investigation into the attack from your bedroom, but everything that's happened the past three months has ignited a new curiosity in you. A sinking feeling that you don't know your own boss as well as you thought you did.
So it's been three months...in the original HR Adam was mostly combat ready after six months, so we have a bit of time before the story starts...assuming it all goes as it did. Shadowrun may shake everything up.

Speaking of...is the anti-rejection drug Neuropozyne still a thing? I don't recall it being as such in Shadowrun. The limit instead was...wait...is there something special about our Essence?

...oh yea, and my vote:

[X] Watch the TED talk Taggart gave last year online. There's a couple of bits in there about augmentation issues. You can calibrate your bullshit radar, try and sift something useful out of it. He's a licensed psychiatrist and his right-hand man's a surgeon of some renown - there'll be some medical facts in there, if only as footing for more spin.

I feel like Eve...mm. I sorta like what this option says more. Eve doesn't really want to know more about her own augmentations exactly. She wants to know what people are saying, what people think about people with augments. There's a healthy streak of "cop" to it I guess which is an element of the character I really do appreciate. Plus its a way to keep Jensen sharp I think, mentally I mean. Instead of blearily scrolling through half a dozen wikipedia pages while the apartment slowly fills up with cigarette smoke.

And Eve probably does have a really good bullshit detector I think. I kinda want to see more of it in action. Also I want to see her like...acting y'know? Engaging. Rather than just passively reading. She might shout at the screen this way. And it gives her the opportunity to make some bitter, witty quips as sprawls out over the couch.

Researching Darrow's really just going to generate general background knowledge about the guy and nothing too useful at that, besides the fact that he's Important, has a Nobel Prize, and is a bit of a recluse going off of the news broadcasts from earlier.

[X] Run a check on Sarif's background and history with the media. You're hardly in any fit state to commence an investigation into the attack from your bedroom, but everything that's happened the past three months has ignited a new curiosity in you. A sinking feeling that you don't know your own boss as well as you thought you did.

Trust but verify. we need to know more about the man that shoved a RadioShack into our abdomen.

The limit instead was...wait...is there something special about our Essence?

That would make sense - Essence was always a game-balance concept, but the justification used for it was that it represented the degree of recognition and connection between the astral form and the physical body.

Metavariants and SURGE'd are all created due to the manafield activating "junk DNA" (so we know that genetics can alter the astral form), and MHVV victims get all their powers from the astrally-active virus (so we know that genetics can effectively cast spells, can restore/overwrite/create an astral form in a matter of hours, and that genetic alteration can imbue supernatural qualities).

So it's plausible that a human could have a genetic trait that causes extreme Essence recovery - note that there's a canonical gene therapy that restores lost Essence, which is speculated to use portions of the MHVV code.

[X ] Research Hugh Darrow online. Used to be you had no reason to care the man existed beyond being one of Sarif's friends. Now his tech's the only reason you're still breathing. As good a time as any to educate yourself

That would make sense - Essence was always a game-balance concept, but the justification used for it was that it represented the degree of recognition and connection between the astral form and the physical body.

Metavariants and SURGE'd are all created due to the manafield activating "junk DNA" (so we know that genetics can alter the astral form), and MHVV victims get all their powers from the astrally-active virus (so we know that genetics can effectively cast spells, can restore/overwrite/create an astral form in a matter of hours, and that genetic alteration can imbue supernatural qualities).

So it's plausible that a human could have a genetic trait that causes extreme Essence recovery - note that there's a canonical gene therapy that restores lost Essence, which is speculated to use portions of the MHVV code.
Hmm, so if we have massive, perhaps even in time total Essence recovery...could we be a spell-slinging cyborg?

Hm, no. If Eve had a mutant gene that allowed her to rapidly recover Essence, she'd be useful as a mage or magical battery, not a cyborg.

Cyberware – or augmentations, rather – replace parts of your natural body, making it harder for your soul to identify with it. So either your soul – the source of your Essence pool – is actually getting weaker, courtesy of reduced access to the resources presumably provided by its biological component, or it's all still there but less of it is accessible (or it's less efficient to access) thanks to the severed links between it and your body.

Either way, this reduces your effective Essence pool, making you less of a magus, and can also lead to cyberpsychosis as your soul and body become disconnected. At the extreme end it can even result in a cyberzombie, as the soul decides that its body is looong gone only for a morally bankrupt mage to disagree, leading to what is effectively Ripper-mode Raiden powered by the bound and insane ghost of his former human self.

So rather than regaining Essence more quickly, it seems likely that Eve's mutation would allow her soul to adapt to her augmentations, recognizing them as part of her own body template. This would allow her to maintain – or regain – her normal Essence rating even after extensive cybersurgery, avoiding the pitfalls of cybersurgery. Which, yes, would include being able to use magic while being a cyborg, but at this point I believe functional magic is still relatively unexplored territory. Essence-fuelled augmentations seem more likely.

All this is iirc, anyway.

Last edited:
Hm, no. If Eve had a mutant gene that allowed her to rapidly recover Essence, she'd be useful as a mage or magical battery, not a cyborg.

That's not really how magic works in SR. Magic that burns up the soul is limited to plot devices (and Nosferatu), so having fast Essence recovery does not make you any better at magic - and it doesn't necessarily mean that magical power lost is restored either.

Essence was only ever intended as a game mechanical limit to the amount of augmentation you can have, and to push a bit of the ol' cyberpsychosis angle. Though, all that said, full-conversion cyborgs exist with 0.01 Essence, so it's really all a messy concept anyway, and might just be better if it is just the normal DX Neuropozyne thing.

So rather than regaining Essence more quickly, it seems likely that Eve's mutation would allow her soul to adapt to her augmentations, recognizing them as part of her own body template.

Regaining Essence is the astral form adapting to recognize the augmentations, so I think we're talking about the same thing - it's just a question of how fast the adaptation happens and whether or not mages would still lose their Magic rating.

Last edited:
That's not really how magic works in SR. Magic that burns up the soul is limited to plot devices (and Nosferatu), so having fast Essence recovery does not make you any better at magic - and it doesn't necessarily mean that magical power lost is restored either.

Essence was only ever intended as a game mechanical limit to the amount of augmentation you can have, and to push a bit of the ol' cyberpsychosis angle. Though, all that said, full-conversion cyborgs exist with 0.01 Essence, so it's really all a messy concept anyway, and might just be better if it is just the normal DX Neuropozyne thing.

Regaining Essence is the astral form adapting to recognize the augmentations, so I think we're talking about the same thing - it's just a question of how fast the adaptation happens and whether or not mages would still lose their Magic rating.
uuugh I managed to mix up Essence and mana

I blame Exalted. It's a resource and a stat, there.

Was sick so I couldn't say this earlier, but called it. I am now going to feel smug for a bit.

Ok, done. With that out of the way, going for the Hugh Darrow option.

I'm curious to see if he's gotten any sort of magical healing to deal with his issues. That might go a long way to making him less bitter.

Also:
"The magical terrorist organisation known as the Native American Nations attempted to hold the country hostage today, threatening to induce eruptions in every volcano active or otherwise in the continental United States. When called on their bluff and subjected to several counter-terror operations, they abandoned their demands and retreated into the wilderness rather than face justice."

Thank You. Seriously, the NAN's genesis in canon Shadowrun bothers me. It makes no fucking sense. Demographics do not work that way. So yeah, good to see the Illuminati doing something useful.

Back