(DC) Legends of The Batman

Case 1.3: Riding with Renee
Case 1.3: Riding with Renee
Gotham City, NJ—September 3, 2020
Winning vote: Call Renee, Crowne College, talking to a survivor of the first Pygmalion and announcing a Wayne-funded scholarship

Even when she wasn't required to wear the Gotham City P.D. blues and grays, Renee Montoya was a woman in uniform. Dressed in a beige blazer-trench coat-turn-maxi dress with her police badge matching a boutonnière on the opposite lapel, with the clear silhouette of her handgun at her hip, she cut an imposing figure while she leaned back against your Ferrari.

"Mr. Wayne," she calls out, smiling as you made your way down the Wayne Manor steps. Alfred follows behind you, finishing locking up the manor's front doors and engaging the manor's security system on his way. "Always a pleasure."

"Thanks for coming out tonight, officer Montoya," you reply, making your way over to the car. She opens the car door for you and steps aside, letting you take your seat in the open-top convertible before she sits down beside you. Alfred takes the driver's seat and starts the engine.

"Hey, if you didn't give me a call, there's a good chance they'd have me tailing some other rich prat." Renee smirks at you after the taunt, before shaking her head. "The commissioner wants all hands-on deck tonight for the event with everything that's been going on recently. I'd have tried to consolidate the event and make all the security worker's lives easier," she lets her words linger for a moment before she shakes her head. "But that's not quite my call."

You don't fully disagree with her. It would be easier to make sure the night went smoothly if the event was localized to one part of the city, but the widespread and easy access of the celebrations tonight were part of the point. The goal was to create accessible hope; it's a lot harder to feel hopeful packed on the inside of a secure bunker and it's a lot harder for the average citizen to get involved in it.

"Well, you know you and the department have my ear, officer. If you have concerns you want raised at the Renewal board meetings," concerns that the department's talking head on the board wouldn't bring up themselves, "I'd be happy to get those discussions started."

"Thanks, Bruce," Renee says, stifling a small sigh. Alfred scans his finger-print onto a sensor within the car and opens the gates to the Wayne property. The second you leave the walled-in grounds, members of the press are on you, flashing photographs of you and your company and calling out questions that aren't quite audible for you to respond.

Renee reaches into her purse and subtly pulls removes a flash-drive from it, hiding it between her fingers before she sets it down in the car door's cup-holder. "Jim wanted me to pass this onto you. Just in case you wanted to try your hand at some more consulting work down at the office." Her tone is a bit uncomfortable, but there's a resolve behind it. "Either way, it'll keep you a bit more up to date than the average press release."

You nod. You're sure Alfred will hook it up and start analysis once the attention follows you away from the car.

Case Information Acquired: Jim Gordon's Thumb Drive

The attack on the Crowne Ballet: The first major attack believed to be associated with Pygmalion II: Four women killed; two women kidnapped.

No bodily mutilations were performed on the four women killed at the Crowne Ballet, but they were outside of the target range of the other victims. Three of the victims killed were two mothers whose students attended ballet classes, an elderly ballet instructor. The fourth of the victims killed fits the age range, but may have been considered undesirable by the killer due to her weight. Post-mortem suggests that she suffered from anorexia nervosa.

The two victims kidnapped were twin daughters of the Panessa family, a lesser family of the Cosa Nostra mob. They were both juniors in high-school, seventeen, private students of the Crowne Ballet under instructor Azzura Berengetti and members of Gotham west's St Mary's private school Dance and Show Choir programs.

Recent Six Families Attacked: As mentioned in the earlier case file made available, there have been six families recently attacked by the Pygmalion II killer or Pygmalion II group.

• Bonham family: Family of five. Father worked in construction; mother was a nursing assistant at the Gotham general hospital. Two high-school aged daughter. First was a member of the chess club; her left hand was taken and her right arm was flayed. Second was a soccer player; she received major skin-grafts, facial alterations and is currently being treated for major infections. One elementary-aged daughter; her right hand was removed and re-attached to the high-school aged daughter.
  • Potential for follow-up with Emma Bonham. Expected hospital stay: 3 weeks.
  • Demetri family: Family of three with a live-in grandparent. Father was a high school teacher at St. Mary's private school. Mother was a housekeeper and an aspiring artist. Her right hand was taken and her face flayed. Daughter was a member of the Cosa Nostra dance team. Her feet were removed. The grandfather had his tongue removed.
  • Van Haus family: Family of two; a single-father and a recent high-school graduate daughter. Father worked in accounting for Wayne Enterprises. You should send a bouquet to his next of kin. His feet were nailed to the floor. The daughter's employment history was unclear and likely illicit. Her hands were replaced with hands of an unidentified third party, which were clasped around her neck when the body was found.
  • Oswald family: Family of four. Father worked in sales. Mother was a hotel manager. Two children; a high-school aged daughter and a elementary-aged son. Parts of the son were grafted to the parents and poorly beautified. The daughter is recovering from severe infections from failed skin grafts and a severed hand in the hospital.
  • Potential for follow-up with Keira Oswald. Expected hospital stay: 1 month.
  • Starr family: Family of six. Mother was an actuary. Father stayed at home to raise the four daughters. Bodies of the four daughters were hard to distinguish due to the amount of lacerations, flayed flesh and cross-sibling grafting that took place. Mother's cause of death may have been suicide. The father's body was relatively unharmed; autopsy suggests his death was related to chemical exposure.
  • Zemeckis family: Family of three. The mother was a barista. The father worked at Wal-Mart. Wealth far outstretched the work that either of them did. The mother owned high tech camera equipment. Both the mother and daughter, a recent high school graduate aged 20, had large social media followings. Mother and daughter's faces had been surgically swapped. Mother's left hand was taken. Daughter's right hand was taken.
Order of the Attacks: Starr family was first. Van Haus family was second. Demetri family third. Zemeckis family fourth. Oswald family fifth and the Bonham family sixth.

Disappearances (connection unclear): Re-connect with leads and insiders in the clubs. Dancers have been disappearing from their jobs at higher rates. Call-girls unresponsive. Could be people leaving the trade and moving to a better life; could be someone making them into targets.

Audio File: Jim Gordon/Lazlo Valentin, 04/01/2015
UNKNOWN: "Six minutes. If he makes any funny movements, Dr. Crane is on standby to issue punitive shock treatments and our health monitors are right outside the door."

JIM: "Thank you. I appreciate your collaboration here." The door slams. Muffled movement.

"Mr. Valentin. There's a few more questions that I'd like to ask you to clear up some of the confusion from our last visit. Would that be alright?"

Scratching. Low audio input static.

JIM: "Alrighty then. To get us started—"

Crashing. High audio input static. Unsure laughter.

LAZLO: "New girl who works here. Good eyes." There's an animalistic excitement in his voice. His voice is on the verge of cracking, muddied with high audio static. "Hooded lids. Blends the stitching better. Kind looks to her, rests on bad bones. Would be a good doll. Bad chassis."

Knuckles cracking on the table. High audio input static. Microphone adjusted; clearer audio coming through now.

JIM: "Now, as uh, disturbing as that may be, that's not what we're here to talk about today. Last time we spoke, you suggested you were interested in sharing some information on where you first received your shipments of CIRL, street-name Dollmaker, and who you received them from."

Giddy laughter. It sharpens into something dark.

LAZLO: "Old fucking hags from New England. Ugly blights. Not a part of them worth keeping. Chop them up. Keep the ligaments. Spread their bodies out in a spiral. That'd show them."

Pen scratching on paper.

JIM: "You received your first supply of CIRL from women in New England?"

LAZLO: "No. Hags. Wrinkled, unfit, impure, despicable bags of—" Lazlo's rising voice is cut off by overwhelming static.

High audio static lingers. Knocking on the table is the first sound that breaks past. The static is fading.

JIM: "—hell was that, Crane? Fuck,"

CRANE (?), warbled over INTERCOM: "Sorry."

JIM: "Fuck, man. Is he going to be alright?"

Low audio input static. Warbled moaning in the distance.

JIM: "Mr. Valentin, are you with me?"

LAZLO: "Doctor. Doctor Lazlo Valentin, officer. I am a doctor. I am a surgeon. I am a sculptor. I am on a mission."

JIM: "Please focus on what I'm saying to you, then, Dr. Valentin. I'm happy that we're able to be having this conversation. Do these New England—"

LAZLO: "Have you read Metamorphoses, detective Gordon?" Lazlo's words were spoken with absolute and frightening calm now, breaking away from his earlier mad rambling.

"No, your hands aren't the type for the arts. In the days of ancient Greece, there was a great sculptor. A great man who saw the wickedness in the hearts of hags, and carved a Woman of luxurious ivory, free from their fickle thoughts,"

"The gods were fond of him, detective. They saw his work and said it was good, and they gave life to that ivory, and made a Woman true, a woman free from the thoughts of the age and the mad babbles of everyday life. Not a hag. Not a bite. Not a blight. Not a d—no. No, no, no. They saw what he did and they said it was good. What I do is good. I am on a mission. I will not be stopped. I will not be shaken."

High audio static. Heavy panting from across the room between each of Lazlo's spoken words.

LAZLO: "These walls can't hold me. These walls can't hold my spirit. My day will come. My will be done. My wife, by my art made heaven, I will see her done. The new girl's eyes. Good lids. Tennis-playing arms. A vocalist's throat. Soft hands, shapely hands. Waxed. All waxed. Perfection made flesh by my hand, detective—sk—"

Heavy panting turns to a guttural growl. Table shaking. High audio static. Door swinging open through absolute high static. Warbled cross-chatter between JIM, CRANE (?) and UNKNOWN voices.

Audio file ends. Gordon's notes mark the meeting as "the most coherent" of his attempts to speak with Dr. Lazlo Valentin.

Last edited:
Case 1.4: Crowne College Celebrations
Case 1.4: Crowne College Celebrations

Alfred comes to a stop before the grand doors of Crowne College's central hall, allowing you and Renee to step out before he goes to park the vehicle. The camera flashes as you rise out of the car make it hard to see just how large the crowd is or make out any major faces present. You smile and wave on to the crowd anyway as you walk into the building. Renee follows behind you, balancing her temporary job as your intimidating bodyguard with sparks of smiles and light for the audience.

The next hour after that is something of a blur, speaking with people whose names you won't remember and whose words matter less to them than being seen speaking to you does. Alfred's training and your ability to bullshit from years in boarding school get you through the situation comfortably and eventually, you're able to create the space you need to start on your own plans for the night. You have your announcement to make later, but before you do, a woman in the crowd catches your eye.

Monáe Orso, a masked woman and an early victim of the Year of the Pig. Her caretaker had shared her story with the Wayne Enterprise boards while discussing plans for a potential Wayne-funded scholarship. After her period of rehabilitation at the city's psychiatric labs, she returned to her college career and is pursuing a career in reconstructive sciences while receiving further experimental treatments meant to correct the lingering brain-damage left by the Dollmaker drug.

You take a seat beside Monáe at her table and offer her a hand, introducing yourself. She turns her head and bobs her shoulders in an exaggeratedly-happy response, trying to show emotion in other ways than the partial mask that covers her nerve-damaged face.

"Oh my godsh," Monáe manages as you sit down beside her, her voice not quite back to what it must have been before. That she'd managed to fix her voice enough to speak with only a lisp was impressive in and of itself. "Mr. Wayne. I didn't think–Anthony shaid he'd talk to you, but I never thought you'd—" She takes a deep and labored breath, giving up on what she was saying and waiting for you to take over the conversation.

"It's good to finally meet you, Monáe," you reply with a honest smile. "I'm sure Tony's already versed you on the specifics of the scholarships that we'll be offering, but I don't know if he ever shared my offer. Would you be willing to stand up tonight while I announce the Martha Wayne Scholarships?"

Monáe gives a quick nod in response. You offer an arm out to Monáe, which she takes, and rise up. Renee quickly and rhythmically taps her fork against her glass, drawing attention from across the room to the two of you. The crowd quiets down after the first round of whispers ("is that Bruce Wayne?" "what's someone like him doing with one of those?") and all eyes close in on you.

"Friends, people of Gotham—I'll only take a minute of your time before I let you get back to enjoying this beautiful evening. When my mother Martha – Martha Kane, then, this was before my father swooped in and stole her heart away – went to college, to this very college, she studied the medical sciences and started her career as a nurse. And until the day she passed, she kept that career and that spirit with her. That need to help others—that promise to do good, to do no harm and to build a better world through healing—

"After everything that this city's went through, we need more people willing to do work in healing and reconstructing. In my mother's memory, in the spirit of the Wayne-Elliot Medical Hospital's tradition of cooperation and sponsorship, and in the name of Renewal, I'd like to announce the Martha Wayne scholarships for nursing and reconstructive surgery."

A surge of noise comes through the crowd at the words. You smile and wait, posturing to make clear you have more to say. As the crowd noise dies down, the attention finally shifts back to you.

"We've paid forward for fifteen years an expansion of the existing Crowne College nursing programs to accept ten additional student candidates a year. We've committed to fully covering the expenses of the top ten students in the Crowne College general nursing program and the top sixteen students in Crowne College's reconstructive surgery programs.

"And for those of you who've already graduated, or from those of you outside the area looking to make a change in career, we've committed to take on the existing debts of graduates working in the reconstructive sciences or working in nursing inside of the Gotham metropolitan area.

"Thank you for your time. If I haven't stolen too much of your evening away—" you smile, looking out and making sure you still have the audience's attention. You do. "—I'll invite you all to join me in a toast to the Ms. Monáe Orso, the first recipient of the Martha Wayne scholarship in reconstructive sciences."

The crowd toasts with you and Monáe, and the night breaks back out into celebrations and the antics of drunk college students. You take a seat down at the table again and an anxious-happy Monáe sits down beside you again.

Your announcement is out of the way. You're sitting next to Renee and Monáe, both of whom likely having interesting perspectives on the Pygmalion cases if you choose to inquire. In the crowd, you can see other figures who might be interesting to talk to: Dr. Woodrue, who has been watching you with interest since your speech; Dr. Karlsson, who has been enjoying some drinks with her fellow alums; the various assistants to Dr. Woodrue, including a fiery redhead you partially recognize from Renewal project meetings; and many more.

What do you want to do at the Crowne College?

You can choose multiple conversation partners. Each conversation taken will increase the amount of time you spend at Crowne College.

[] [Who] Renee Montoya
[] [Who] Monáe Orso
[] [Who] Dr. Woodrue
[] [Who] Dr. Karlsson
[] [Who] Dr. Woodrue's aides
[] [Who] Other… (write-in)

[] [What] (write-in).

How long do you want to stay at Crowne College? Leaving before 11:00 PM will allow you to take actions as The Batman tonight; choosing a later departure time will push you forward to the next day, but may give more information for the ongoing case or for a different ongoing issue in Gotham City.

[] [When] One conversation; leave at 10 PM.
[] [When] Two conversations; leave at 10:30-11:00 PM.
[] [When] Three conversations; leave at 11:30-12:00 AM.
[] [When] Four or more conversations; leave at 1:00 AM or later.

There will be a voting moratorium until 10:00 PM CST, ~approx. 5 hours from time of posting. There will be a voting threadmark posted at the time the vote opens sharing QM thoughts on proposed write-in plans and discussion.​

[X] [POI] Dr. Woodrue
[X] [Topic] make casual conversation about chemistry. What sort of factors are important to maintaining a proper lab, and does he feel the schools facilities are meeting the neccessary standards. You'd hate for gothams youth to be stiffled by outdated equipment.

[X] [POI] Pamela Isley
[X] [Topic] After you finish talking to Woodrue, one of his assistants lingers behind and approaches you looking to discuss Ideas for nature conservation programs the renewal project could pursue. The young womans passion impresses you, and you encourage her to put together a few detailed proposals for the two of you to go over in a meeting sometime in the next few weeks, giving her a line to you personally to expedite arranging a meeting once she is ready.
So these are an earlier suggestion for subjects to discuss with Dr. Woodrue and Pamela Isley(AKA Poison Ivy) to establish some usefull information to run thrue the Batcomputer when we are done here. I'm not putting together a vote myself(slight lightheaded), but I'll only support a 2 or 4+ conversation vote.

Hmm. This may be stating the obvious, but if it is, somebody has to -

The current Pygmalion's victims seem to have alterations related to their hobbies, when such hobbies are a significant part of their life enough to be brought up. The chess club girl has her hands destroyed, the dancer her feet. The woman whose job is likely "illicit" is found with her hands removed, and choking herself; literal and symbolic damage alike to body parts used to give pleasure.

It is too early in the case to be making assumptions about what must be. However, this new Pygmalion seems to be targeting young women, and the families of young women, who are notably outstanding in some way, "positive" or "negative". Perhaps they seek to steal what makes them unique, and replace with what makes them less so? Or perhaps jealousy of some kind, or moral outrage, seeks to destroy what makes women "special", and the rest of the murders are simply collateral damage.

Looking into the handedness of the victims whose hands were destroyed may also be a valuable avenue of investigation... or it could be a dead end.

If my theory is true, then it may be that the new Pygmalion chooses to target poor Monáe for a second time. She is a bit older than most of the notable victims, but she is specifically being held up as a special young woman, here. Could be foreshadowing. While of course all attempt must be made to prevent her death should she become a target, if she were to end up dead, perhaps with her brain or vocal cords removed, it would all but confirm the theory.

Unless of course our illustrious Guiding Bolt reads all this and throws a dead Monáe in as a red herring, but

Wealth far outstretched the work that either of them did

The two victims kidnapped were twin daughters of the Panessa family, a lesser family of the Cosa Nostra mob.

The daughter's employment history was unclear and likely illicit.

Daughter was a member of the Cosa Nostra dance team.

No...
This would be way too much effort to throw smoke over some mob killings right?

No...
This would be way too much effort to throw smoke over some mob killings right?
Honestly, yeah it would.

If the Cosa Nostra want to kill someone, they're not gonna make this sort of spectacle about it. This sort of publicity, even linked to a serial killer as a false flag, is too much.

Well, unless they're trying to send a message. Then all bets are off.

I think it's notable that no young/middle aged adult male was touched. Sons and Grandfathers are fair game.

He even had an opportunity to do so: the Star family, where he knocked out the father (with chemicals presumably).

What this means, I have no idea

The order of the attacks on the families was asked on discord and has been added to the post. For convenience, the order is also included here: Starr family was first. Van Haus family was second. Demetri family third. Zemeckis family fourth. Oswald family fifth and Bonham family sixth.

[X] [When] Three conversations; leave at 11:30-12:00 AM.
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Woodrue
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson

[x] [When] Two conversations; leave at 10:30-11:00 PM.
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson

[x] [What] Gently suggest to Monáe that you know Renee is working to catch the new Pyg, and if she remembers anything that might be helpful, that GCPD would surely be grateful for the assistance, either now or at a later date. Engage Dr. Karlsson in conversation, and ask as a "concerned citizen" if he has any opinion or insight into Pyg II or what Pyg I is like as a patient.

We ought to talk to Monae, since she's our POI. I don't think we need to talk to Montoya, she probably mostly knows what the GCPD knows, and there will be other opportunities to talk to her. As for Woodrue and Pamela, while the latter would certainly be entertaining, I'm not sure how useful they would be to this case. Talking to just the two lets us get some Bat-time tonight, and there's plenty of leads to explore under the cowl.

Last edited:
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson

[x] [What] Gently suggest to Monáe that you know Renee is working to catch the new Pyg, and if she remembers anything that might be helpful, that GCPD would surely be grateful for the assistance, either now or at a later date. Engage Dr. Karlsson in conversation, and ask as a "concerned citizen" if he has any opinion or insight into Pyg II or what Pyg I is like as a patient.

As for Woodrue and Pamela, while the latter would certainly be entertaining, I'm not sure how useful they would be to this case. Talking to just the two lets us get some Bat-time tonight, and there's plenty of leads to explore under the cowl.
Woodrue is, in certain timelines at least, the original creator of the pheromones Ivy is infamous for. He could tell us the kind of lab and equipment someone developing a mind affecting toxin would need, which might contribute to us tracking said equipment thru the batcomputer to identify who purchased them, and possibly tie said equipment to an adress or two.

Also it might be possible to narrow it further by checking the power grid and looking for Power inconsistancies or power going to places that aren't listed as occupied and using them to narrow it further.

Last edited:
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Woodrue
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson
[X] [Who] Dr. Woodrue's aides
[X] [When] Four or more conversations; leave at 1:00 AM or later.

Go all in, we can be Batman tomorrow.

Plan[] Bruce Wayne, Billionaire conversationalist
[] [When] Three conversations; leave at 11:30-12:00 AM.
[] [Who] Monáe Orso
[] [Who] Renee Montoya
[] [Who[ Dr. Woodure
[] [What] For Monáe I think Bruce should talk to her soft and caring to her about her experience and if there was anything she could recall about what happened. For Renee we should ask for any new information regarding the case of the killer and if any new information has risen, as this will let us be able to update and review current information. As for Woodrue, we should to talk to him about his work with plants and what it could offer for Wayne Enterprises

I think this plan is a good one for looking for information regarding the Pygmallion II killer and seeing if any patterns could be found that the police haven't and telling them through either Gordon or Montoya, while also keeping up appearance of a businessman who's interested in finding any new scientific research that could benefit Wayne Enterprises.

Last edited:
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson

[x] [Who] Monáe Orso
[x] [Who] Dr. Woodrue
[x] [Who] Dr. Karlsson
[x] [Who] Dr. Woodrue's aides

[x] [When] Four or more conversations; leave at 1:00 AM or later.

[x] [What] Gently suggest to Monáe that you know Renee is working to catch the new Pyg, and if she remembers anything that might be helpful, that GCPD would surely be grateful for the assistance, either now or at a later date. Engage Dr. Karlsson in conversation, and ask as a "concerned citizen" if he has any opinion or insight into Pyg II or what Pyg I is like as a patient. Talk to Woodrue and his aides separately. Let Woodrue lead the conversation since he looks like someone with something to say. Talk to his aids about ways to do to Gotham what the Martha Wayne scholarships plan to do to it's citizens. That is, on ways to add nature to the city and how to make that both sustainable and economically viable.

Last edited:
[X] [Who] Monáe Orso
[X] [Who] Dr. Woodrue
[X] [Who] Dr. Karlsson
[X] [Who] Dr. Woodrue's aides
[X] [When] Four or more conversations; leave at 1:00 AM or later.

Back