Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Our protagonist is a hillbilly from West Virginia that finds himself in the middle of a summoning between some Necromancers (heavily based and inspired on D&D5e) and a Great Old One. Hijinks ensue. He's genre-savvy about D&D but ignorant about the Xianxia/cultivation world he ends up falling into.

You can consider this a somewhat non-traditional Xianxia story, where the MC's "special advantage" that often exists (golden finger in the tropes of the genre) is being a patient low-level Wizard from a D&D campaign. Can our MC cultivate the dao while trying not to go insane due to contact with Great Old One? Can they combine magic and "this newfangled Qi business"? We'll see!

The magic is only heavily based on D&D, some of the rules I have adjusted for narrative reasons.

May be updated irregularly. Writing this due to writer's block on my main story.
Almost Heaven, West Virginia...
I stared up at the night sky and sighed. There wasn't another soul in miles, and for a heartbroken man like myself, it was perfect. However, I needed to consider beginning my hike back to civilisation, if not by tomorrow, then at least by the next day if I wanted to keep it leisurely. I didn't know if I was over my breakup, but being out here in the forest was exactly what the doctor ordered.

At least the breakup wasn't acrimonious; we had just drifted apart, and finally, she sat me down and told me that she was leaving. Personally, I would have been alright to continue things as they were just for the companionship, but it wouldn't have been fair on her, and I appreciated that she cut things off instead of continuing things while trying to get what she needed elsewhere.

I had taken several weeks of saved vacation time and travelled to Colorado. I saw the sights and went up Pike's Peak, but mostly, I had spent an entire week just hiking through the Grand Mesa National Forest. I didn't hike in the approved trails or campgrounds either. I didn't want to be around people, nor the edifices of people, and the campgrounds and hiking trails everyone took were just a bit too civilised. I had just wanted to be alone. Well, and truly alone.

It was actually fairly dangerous what I was doing, walking and sleeping out here alone, but I had a satellite phone in my pack. Such things were ruinously expensive to actually use, but as a piece of emergency equipment, they were alright. It wasn't like I was poor, either. I was only in my thirties but was close to being Senior Operator at the Palo Verde nuclear power station. I had gotten the job as soon as I left the Navy, about a decade ago.

Not surprisingly, the people trained and trusted enough to press buttons on a nuclear reactor's control panel were well compensated, and it wasn't like I spent much money on anything. I still drove the same compact Toyota truck I had bought used when I joined the Navy.

I initially intended to stay reasonably close to the edges, as I couldn't actually carry enough supplies to last as long as I had stayed out here, but I managed to stretch my food supplies with a little judicious poaching. I hadn't intended to take the animal out of season and with no tag for one, but it had been a perfect opportunity when I had seen the injured elk, and I had taken it. I didn't regret my felony, except that I left most of the kill to waste.

Well, actually, I'm sure it would be well appreciated by the animals of the forest. I wasn't used to taking an extra twenty to thirty pounds with me while walking, and if that was something I really liked to do, I would have joined the Marines when I was a kid instead of the Navy. Still, I managed it, and the meat meant I never had to return to civilisation for more supplies, even if I only had salt to season it with. Strictly speaking, open fires in this area of the National Forest at this time of the year were probably illegal, too, but I wasn't a poseur. I not only ensured that my campfires were safe, but I left nothing behind when I left, taking all of my trash with me.

As I started to get up to create a hang for my supplies between a couple of trees to protect them from hypothetical bears, I started to hear something unusual. The sound was fairly high-pitched, and I immediately rushed to my pack to grab my carbine. There were cougars in these forests, even if not many, and I was definitely more afraid of the large cats than the black bear, which was the only other really dangerous predator in the area.

However, I couldn't precisely put a direction on where I was hearing the sound, but it was getting a little louder and more intelligible as if it was both all around me and getting closer. Finally, I identified it as human speech, which was a surprise because I was almost certain I was the only human within fifteen kilometres, at least.

It was a woman or girl speaking, or perhaps chanting might be a better description. The language, once the phonemes could be differentiated, was unknown at first, but suddenly, I started hearing very accented English words, "Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! I hunger and desire you, All-Mother!"

Immediately, I yanked back the charging handle on my rifle, depositing a six-point eight-millimetre cartridge into the chamber, and flicked off the safety, saying aloud in barely more than a whisper, "Nope, nope, nope."

There would be no summoning of Great Old Ones in these woods if I had something to say about it. I was a proper West Virginian hillbilly, even if I was somewhat more civilised and educated now. The important thing was that we didn't cotton to that sort of thing, of summoning eldritch abominations, 'round these parts.

I crouched low, still turning around, trying to localise the direction of the chanting. I caught movement in my peripheral vision and turned and saw... something. Something expansive, large, a cloud of darkness that was darker than the darkest night... It was like a void in the world, and inside was moving and squirming!

That was when I exploded.

---xxxxxx---

Okay, perhaps I didn't explode, except perhaps in agony. It only felt like I exploded. What does it feel like to have your soul ripped from your body? It turned out that it hurt a lot.

As a disembodied spirit, I had no mouth, but I needed to scream. I'm not sure how long this period of almost interminable suffering lasted, but it seemed like a very long time to me. Eventually, though, I learned how to see with no eyes and learned how to think with no brain, including thinking about the huge sum of memories that had been shoved into... well, I would have said brain, since before I exploded, I had been something of an atheist. Shoved into my soul, then.

I was floating, disembodied, in an obvious sacrificial ritual circle straight out of a horror movie or fantasy video game. A young woman with braided blonde hair, wearing a black robe, had a wicked-looking dagger shoved into the heart of some poor fool in the middle of the circle, with two adults on either side, presumably assisting her. She resembled the older woman assisting her so much that she was obviously her daughter. A little family-based ritual sacrifice, eh?

I would have certainly put being abducted by aliens at a higher likelihood than being yanked out of my body by what might or might not be a Great Old One out of a fictional mythos. Thinking about what I had seen, the dark cloud of...

I short-circuited, finally shaking my spiritual head. I didn't know how much time I had lost when I recalled that because everything around me was completely frozen in time. The sacrifice's face was frozen in a rictus of terror and pain, and even a globule of blood that had been splashed was frozen in the air.

Not only that, but I knew everyone here. I had in the back of my... soul, I suppose since I didn't have a head, the entire life's memories of the young woman who had expertly shoved a dagger into the man's heart, along with a knowing of what had happened and what I should expect.

The latter, I think I received from...

I short-circuited again. It was a mistake even thinking about...

I short-circuited again. This loop continued for an unknown period of time, but I didn't think it was very good for my continued sanity. Eventually, I managed to compartmentalise the memories enough not to bring them up as soon as I thought about them through sheer self-preservation. Instead, I mentally shifted to thinking about a small kid whenever I thought about it/her. Specifically, a small baby goat that I had raised on my grandpa's ranch when I was also a kid of a different kind.

What happened was that these three had sacrificed this guy to summon my pet goat to help them because they were desperate. They were desperate to get out of the predicament they were in, and my pet goat had answered their call—and my pet goat had helped them by ripping both my soul as well as the soul of the young woman, the daughter of the other two, and swapping them around.

It was, and I mentally sighed with deep distaste at the trope... an isekai. Not only that, but I wouldn't even be going in my own body. I also had no idea how putting me in the body of this young necromancer was supposed to help their situation at all. I had a narrow field of expertise—nuclear energy, engineering, the repair of the above, novels and video games. And that was it.

Time was frozen because I wasn't actually in that universe yet. I was in a kind of limbo to get used to the extra memories I had, and I could apparently stay here as long as I liked. I should move myself inside the young woman's body when I was ready, and Bob's your uncle. Time would resume—at least, from my perspective.

Instead, I floated disembodied and wanted to cry but couldn't. I had no body yet. I wanted to mourn all I had lost but found myself conflicted. To be honest, there weren't actually many ties of karma keeping me to my old life. I had been raised by my grandparents, and I hadn't spoken to any member of my family since I joined the Navy after both my grandpa and grandma passed. None of them were good people.

I went to work; I came home. I read books and played video games. My last tie was with my girlfriend, but she had dumped me. The only thing that I was really upset about was the possibility that the young woman who took my body would turn into a serial killer and, worse, get caught. This hadn't been the first person she had killed, after all. I could feel a connection to her, although I had the feeling that it would dim and fade to nothing over time with the wound in reality that we were both drawn to closed like a canker sore.

But, I felt from her the certainty that magic would work on Earth, so I was a little bit concerned that she would begin practising the major school of magic that she had been born, bred and educated in—necromancy. I could just see her doing it and getting caught if she wasn't careful. I could just see it, news reporters interviewing my neighbours, them saying, "He was such a quiet man, you would never have suspected he was The Organ Thief Killer."

She was also one of the reasons that this ritual had gone awry. She hadn't intended to screw her parents, but her subconscious was more interested in saving herself, and that coloured how my pet goat responded. Really, they were all lucky that my pet goat hadn't spirited them all away into some cenobite hell dimension, as that would have fulfilled the request of saving them from their present problems, and my pet goat was foreign enough to think such a thing was helpful. I wouldn't say that I was an expert on the entity, but I wouldn't say I wasn't, either. I knew it in a way that I wish I didn't.

And while it did want to be helpful, I suspected it would think an eternity of torment would have been helpful. They'd have tons of new problems, but they'd be safe from the people rushing to murder them, plus they'd live forever! Win-win!

I didn't yet see how I could help their problems, either, so I thought this was pointless. Well, they would also be my problems soon enough, too—unless I wanted to spend eternity frozen in time with only my own thoughts for company. While I liked very much to be alone sometimes, that was a bit much.

I floated around, careful not to get too close to the centre of the ritual. I didn't want to touch her body with my spirit self until I was good and ready. I needed time to really dive into her memories. I didn't know anything much more than the basics, as I was mentally holding the mass of memories away from me at spiritual arm's length by force of will.

I floated too close to the man at the edge of the ritual circle and accidentally floated inside his body, which gave me an up-close and personal view of his large intestine. I didn't know how I could smell anything at all, both because I didn't have a body and because scent required airflow and, therefore, time to function, but I could! I backed hastily away and shook my spirit body in disgust.

There was a tether, visible to me in whatever senses I was utilising, tying me to the centre of the ritual, but I suddenly decided I wanted to see how far away from it I could get in this limbo. We were underground, but I didn't presently need light to see. It would be weird if I did, as, like scent, it required time to pass so active photons could bounce off my retinas.

Still, I floated as fast as I could in one direction, floating down the corridor until I got lost in what appeared to be a fairly complex underground cave complex. It wasn't the largest cave system, but it did have a number of odd turns and chambers in it.

Some of them were naturally formed, while most near the ritual were either carved completely out of the ground or helped along. Finally, I glanced up and, gritting my proverbial teeth, just floated up through the dirt. I learned to turn off my sense of taste and smell about halfway through the ascent, and eventually, I came out to a nondescript desert biome.

It wasn't a desert like the Sahara, but more like New Mexico or Australia. Brush, rocks and what might be considered cactuses. And two moons above in the night sky, one of which was almost three times as large as what I remembered Luna ever being back on Earth. Fascinated, I flew up into the air. I didn't float much faster than I could have jogged in my past life, although I was slowly getting faster, but if there was one virtue that I had, it was that I was patient.

This moon looked a lot closer in orbit than I remembered, but was I patient enough to float for hundreds of "days" if it meant I could step my spiritual foot on the surface of a fucking moon?! HELL, YES, I WAS. I always wanted to be an astronaut.

Besides, I would need a lot of "time" to go through these memories. I finally stopped holding them at arm's length and allowed them to make contact with my spiritual body.

---xxxxxx---

I was Merildwen, the sole daughter of my mother, the elf Serinre and my father, her human husband Delgaroth. Privately, I felt that wasn't likely my father's real name, but if he had another, he never told me, so I just called him dad.

My parents were acolytes of a somewhat famous coven of necromancers and dark Wizards that had been eradicated in the last war before I was born. They had managed to escape, being assigned a mission at the time and felt fortunate to keep their lives. Necromancy wasn't entirely forbidden, but it wasn't really tolerated, either—especially the types that both my parents and later myself were trained in.

From when I could remember, we travelled from place to place, living on the periphery of society and fleeing whenever things got too serious. Fires and pitchforks were real dangers in the small villages, and the larger cities were scarcely any better. That said, there was always work for my parents. While necromancy was their focus, they were fully trained wizards, and my mother was an alchemist, too.

Ultimately, there were innumerable people and organisations that had little care for the fact that both my parents were wanted for execution simply by being living members of the Cavern of Lost Souls. I'd probably be hung, too, just on general principles. These people and groups provided the money we needed to live and thrive. A ward on someone's home here, a potion brewed there, a skeleton or two raised from the dead somewhere else—work was easy to come by, to the point where I was trained in the arcane arts as a child myself, just to help with the family business all the sooner.

There were numerous problems in such a life, but our current issues manifested when one of the newer organisations that provided work to us, specifically a guild of assassins, discovered the identity of my mother and father. We had done good work for them, and it was a really good match—it was quite surprising how well an interrogation could be conducted when the interviewee knew that even death wouldn't save their secrets. Even I could raise a dead man's shade and compel it to answer as many questions as I wanted, and I was only a novice in the arcane arts.

Still, they both discovered that my parents were former acolytes, as well as rumours that the Cavern of Lost Souls had special treasures in one of their abandoned and of course, haunted, ruined headquarters. We had just arrived in this city, so it was a different branch of the cult, but they were sure that my parents could get through the traps, ravenous spirits and other protections—so they had thrown us all, along with a man meant to be our minder, into the underground dungeon.

That poor bastard must have pulled the short straw. He was with us to "keep us honest" or, more likely, ensure we didn't somehow make off with any treasures. He had a magical device, a way to communicate with his several dozen friends waiting outside, too.

Still, localised telepathy was just a cantrip, so all three of us could communicate privately during the exploration of the ruined cave complex. We all agreed that there was just no way that this guild of assassins would leave us alive after we were finished being useful. You didn't enslave, however, temporarily, a group of necromancers and then expect them not to get even. Plus, our deaths would neatly solve the distribution of loot questions, too.

It was simple enough for my mom and dad to secretly bind some of the wraiths we found, but it wouldn't be enough to save our skins. Three or four wraiths would just slow down the proficient killers outside. We were desperate but not desperate enough to summon a devil strong enough to save us. He or she would demand our souls, at a minimum.

So, we did something even more stupid. My parents, you see, found this book in the branch leader's room. How it escaped the notice of the paladins who had destroyed the branch, I wasn't sure.

I returned to find myself not on the surface of the moon but roughly as high as I remembered airliners flying. The connection I had to the ritual was firm now and permitting me no further travel. Or perhaps I had run into the "invisible wall" of this limbo simulation. Depending on how far beneath the ground we had been, it seemed like the tether was a little more than ten kilometres—quite a lot when you thought about it.

It didn't feel like I had lived Merlidwen's life, but it wasn't too far from that, either, so I just hung in the air, trying not to be swallowed by the over two decades of memories.

After a long while, I started floating back down to the ground. It didn't seem to change the way I thought. I was still me. All of her memories were held at a bit of a distance compared to my own, yet at the same time, I could step into them if I wanted, as if I was wearing a mask or suit of clothes and become her. That was nice. Otherwise, my "parents" would discover my identity rapidly and probably treat me as some sort of disembodied possessor entity that had murdered their daughter. There were a variety of such creatures and spirits, after all.

Even death wouldn't save me from such a misapprehension.

It was strange how much you took for granted having a body until you wanted to sigh, shake your head or punch something, and you couldn't. I floated quite fast now, though, so I wondered how long I had struggled at my fetters while vicariously experiencing Merildwen's life. Probably quite a long time, I thought.

I was kind of lost, so I just followed the tether back to the ritual room. It hadn't been difficult for Meril's dad to render the man insensate with a spell and take the magical device he had been using to communicate with him. But they had prepared for this contingency and transmitted at set intervals. It was basic tradecraft, so I wasn't surprised a group of semi-secret assassins would utilise it.

It, like some magical devices, couldn't really be used by the dead, either, so it was a pretty good defence against, say, a necromancer raising your compatriot from the dead and forcing him to tell you everything was okay.

As it had taken a few hours to set up the ritual, even moving at reckless speed, it was likely that his compatriots knew of his capture or death by now. Really, they might have been following behind us the whole way. I decided to find out where they were, first things.

This wasn't a band of cops or paladins dealing righteous justice against us three necromancers. It was a cabal of assassins. I didn't feel bad at all saving my skin, even if it meant they lost theirs. I didn't even have skin right now! I was entitled to protect myself.

I used Merildwen's memories to retrace our steps through the cave complex, occasionally taking a wrong turn. However, it wasn't a maze or even a proper labyrinth—we wouldn't have been so lucky. I found a group of over twenty men frozen, about three caverns from the entrance. They looked mean, cautious and looked like sudden death from both hands. The weapons they carried looked magical, as did several devices, and they definitely appeared to be making their way through the tunnels.

Wizards were feared, but Meril's memories were telling me that this type of "rogue" archetype could murder them fairly well, especially if they had magical support in terms of their kit and equipment. Certainly, her parents hadn't thought it wise to fight it out when they had confronted them.

Perhaps these men wouldn't have succeeded in attacking Meril's parents' strong place, as a lot of undead and magic were waiting there. Wizards were all about preparation, after all. A lot of preparation went into those defences. Preparation that they didn't appear willing to give us a second time.

I returned back to the more finished walls of the coven's headquarters. It had been mostly looted, with most valuables taken or destroyed, and they hadn't found much of interest. But I would check every square centimetre myself.

Then, I would check every square centimetre of this entire cave system. There didn't appear to be a back way out of the caves, but that didn't matter. There might be! And, if one existed, I would find it. Even if I spent subjective months or years examining all... wait, how much volume is in a sphere with about a ten-kilometre radius?

I did some quick math: over four thousand cubed kilometres of volume that my tether allowed me. After all, if I had one virtue, it was that I was patient. Perhaps that was what my pet goat saw in me.

I got started.

I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore
I don't know if it took years, but it did feel like weeks or even, perhaps, months.

There was just no way to judge the passage of time, not even with the cycle of sleep like a prisoner in solitary confinement, as I didn't need to sleep at all. Not too surprising as a disembodied soul, I supposed.

Still, I did find treasure pretty quickly. There was a false wall in what appeared to be a simple pantry that led to the complex's main vault. Quite a lot of things were in there, including gold, magic devices and walls of books, but I didn't see anything that would immediately help us escape or deal with the assassins that were making their way to end what would soon be my "life."

I did find some other interesting in other parts of the complex. A number of explosive amulets had been overlooked in the armoury. When you raised corpses to do your bidding, the use of "suicide bombers" became an obvious strategy in warfare, and only certain magic devices required a soul or mind to function.

That gave me the kernel of an idea, but even that would only be a stalling tactic. I had been hoping that I wouldn't need to go down the "thorough" path, but in the end, I did. I examined every item in the treasury and eventually discovered that I could even read closed books if I was very precise about shoving myself into them. It took me quite a bit of time to learn to float so precisely and then immediately still myself so I could read a page, to say nothing of floating forward precisely enough to "turn the next page."

I probably looked ridiculous, especially when books were shelved upside down, and I had to hang in the middle of the air upside down, with part of my spirit body shoved into a book.

Even though, I read everything. Both to look for secrets, as well as my later edification. While some included more general arcane knowledge, most of the tomes dealt with necromancy, curses and ritual magic. Including many things that even Meril's parents weren't aware of. They hadn't been Elders in the coven after all, merely mid-tier members—the kind that got sent out on missions often, so some of it was things she had never been taught.

I was hoping to keep most of the memories. On Meril's last birthday, she summoned a devil and bargained for an improved memory and slightly improved intelligence. The former was delivered through a mental technique called a Mental Palace, and it was something I recognised even from my past life, although I had never heard of anyone that could actually use it.

In exchange for this help, as well as the use of an imp as a familiar, she owed the devil a quarter of her soul or, alternately, the souls of three other people. It was a debt arrangement, and the accounts would be settled when Merildwen died, or she paid off her debt, whichever came first. I hoped the devil didn't think I was obligated to pay her debt like some kind of usurious loan shark, too, but I had the feeling I would be on the hook.

The devil they dealt with was an Erinyes named Oriella, so it could be said that of all devils, they were the least likely to screw one over with a monkey paw deal, but the only way I could object to the debt would be in the Hells after I died. It would be simpler to just pay the debt with evildoers if I encountered some. It might be that I was a little insane now, but that idea didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

Bargaining with a devil was something akin to a right of passage in Meril's parents' coven, and the entire coven utilised Oriella, so her parents had helped her make as good a bargain as could be expected. From my objective perspective, dealing with devils seemed kind of stupid, although the Memory Palace technique that had been shoved into Meril's mind was very useful.

I had already detected a lot of similarities in the world I would soon find myself in and a certain table-top roleplaying game that I used to love to play, to the point where many of the same spells and tropes existed, but it wasn't set on Faerûn or Eberron or anywhere else I recognised. None of the deity names were the same, and some mechanics were different enough that it caused a bit of cognitive dissonance when I noticed it.

Her deal with the devil was why Meril was wielding the knife, even. The ritual to summon the attention of my pet goat didn't require a soul, merely a murder. Honestly, I didn't think my pet goat really understood what a soul was. It thought so foreignly that I didn't think it understood the distinction between a living person or a dead one, or a human or a cabbage.

Since the ritual wasn't sacrificing a soul, she thought, why not two birds for one stone? The contract with the devil specifically stated she had to collect the souls herself, so she needed to be the one to shove the knife into his heart.

Taken together, it just meant that none of the people around, Meril or her parents, were good people. Still, even if they were evil necromancers, it was clear that Meril's parents did love her, and she loved them too. She hadn't intended to request her personal escape when she had performed the summoning ritual; it had just been a subconscious desire.

Her parents had wanted to help her pay part of her debt as soon as possible and had made the mistake of giving her the key position in the ritual when she wasn't quite ready for it. A more experienced Wizard would have been able to compartmentalise their mind enough that no subconscious should have leaked through.

Still, perhaps without that subconscious flavour, my pet goat would have sent everyone to the cenobite dimension, so there was no telling what would have been better. Not doing the ritual would have been better, probably, as using logic to predict the behaviour of that ... thing was madness. Madness. Madness. Madness. Madness. MADNESS.

I shook myself, or more likely, vibrated my spirit a little. It was best to think about something else... like how I had found a way to escape! I thought I had found everything to discover, but I was still thinking in only two dimensions. A few metres below the large ritual chamber I was tethered to was another similar room, except I had recognised the lines on the floor from a few of Meril's memories. It was a teleportation circle.

Every good supervillain lair had to have a secret escape tunnel, and I thought I found ours. The only problem was that it had already been used. A teleportation circle consumed a fair bit of silver, which had to be inlaid into the runic circuitry on the floor. There were several dozens of small ingots of silver in a cabinet in the room and even a small furnace to facilitate the rapid replacement of silver to bring the system back into function, but there was no way that they'd have time to repair it if we couldn't do anything about the attackers, first.

Nodding, I shifted my perception to the man with a knife in his heart. Perhaps I could be the one to save everyone after all. While I was patient, I also thought I was decisive when I needed to be. I reached out and grabbed Merildwen's hand.

The instant I touched it, I felt a vacuuming force and found myself inside. A second dump of memories hit me, although much smaller, and I instantly compartmentalised them. It seemed to be memories of Merildwen from her own version of "the frozen world." The frozen world of the Grand Mesa National Forest. She hadn't spent anywhere near as long as I had there, though.

The transition wasn't detectable, either. One moment, I was in the frozen world, and the next, I was moving again. My hand was still shoving the knife up, past the man's ribs, further into his heart, just as I had been taught.

I had already wrapped myself tightly with the "clothes" of Merildwen's memories, too. I had practised this many times during my search in the frozen world, and I already knew more or less what to expect.

"My" father blinked and said, "For a second, I thought... did it work?"

My mother nodded solemnly and asked, "Meril, are you okay?"

"Yes, but we don't have much time," I said wearily, trying to get used to using a body again, standing up from the still-twitching sacrifice. I turned to my parents and said, "But I have the knowledge of how to save us, I think. Plus..."

There had been a feeling at the back of my skull as soon as I got in this body, and I frowned. It felt like a new muscle, something I hadn't had before, but I sort of knew how it should work. I glanced down at the ritual dagger and yanked it out of the dead man's chest, with some effort, and looked at it, flexing the unseen muscle.

Suddenly, the dagger vanished, and I was aware that it was somewhere else, and I could call it back. My father's face brightened, and he said, "Oh! An extradimensional space? That's a pretty standard extraplanar boon. How big is it, Meril?"

Meril had been taught about these sorts of things. If a mortal travelled in person to some of the outer planes, there was a chance that the trip would change them. Sometimes for the better, other times not. Boons and banes.

Mostly, whether the changes were for good or ill was a matter of debate, except for a few that were undeniably beneficial. One of these "boons" was what I would consider a hammerspace. I frowned, thinking about it, "Maybe a little more than one and a half by one and a half by two mek." I was using this world's units of measure, and a mek was a little bit over a metre but less than a yard.

"Only a middling boon, then. Still, it is incredibly useful—a great bonus to our hopeful survival. Devils charge usurious rates for a trip to the outer planes, and even then, it isn't guaranteed what you'll get. Perhaps the entity took you to its home plane in an instant before returning you here? Do you remember seeing anything?" he asked.

I remembered. I remembered. I remembered. I remembered. I REMEMBERED.

Someone shook my shoulder, and I snapped back to myself with my mom looking at me worriedly, her hand on my shoulder. I had been rubbing my eyes hard enough to hurt. I shuddered, "Please don't ask me about that right now. I think that entity came a lot further than the outer planes, Dad. I don't want to talk about it."

He suddenly looked solemn and nodded, "For another time, then. What do we need to do?"

"Good news, there is a teleportation chamber directly below this room. The mechanism is over there..." I pointed to a spot outside the ritual circle, "...but the lock is magical. Bad news, the circle has already been used."

Mom frowned, creasing her forehead, saying in a worried tone, "I don't think we have enough time to refresh a teleportation circle. We might not have enough silver, anyway."

I nodded, "I need to buy us some time." It would take too long to explain this to them. I knew where to find everything I needed, but they would be fumbling in the dark. I needed something that would work as an extension of my own body, though.

I glanced down at the sacrifice victim, who was still twitching slightly and held out my hands. Animating the dead, like most magic, generally required knowledge, somatic, verbal and material components. However, if you murdered the victim yourself, then you didn't need any material components at all. Plus, it made the spell much easier to cast and more potent, even. It made necromancy a very cost-effective and potent form of magic if you didn't have any morals.

To be honest, though, the material components required to animate the dead were cheap, anyway. The real boon of ritually murdering the target of the spell was it increased your comprehension of the spell for that single casting.

Merildwen wasn't actually at the level of casting a third level Animate Dead as a standard casting. She could do it as a ritual if you gave her an hour, though. But now? I held my hands in the appropriate form and spoke the words, casting Animate Dead on the corpse.

It shambled to its feet but remained silent. Skeletons were a little smarter than zombies, but I wasn't strong or wise enough to animate an undead with any kind of intellect—I didn't want that right now, anyway. I mentally controlled the zombie, and it started walking off quickly. It wouldn't start to hobble and be slow until rigor mortis set in later.

I could control it like it was one of my own limbs and see through its eyes like they were my own for at least half a kilometre... or kilomek, which was way more than was necessary right now.

My dad was already inspecting the area where the stairs were hidden, but my mom was standing next to me. I nodded at her, "There are a handful of explosive amulets that weren't discovered in the armoury. I'm having the zombie grab them and take them to a specific part of the tunnels. There, he will explode them all. I am almost certain that will cause a localised cave-in. It will take them hours to move that much rock safely—if they even try. Plus, there are silver ingots in the room downstairs."

This caused her to brighten considerably, "I'll have the spectres check after we hear an explosion. But that does sound like a good idea, and we can definitely melt and recast the teleportation inlays in a couple of hours, even if there is no furnace and we all have to sit casting fire cantrips at it."

She frowned, turned to her husband and asked sweetly, "Dear, how much oxygen does an elvenoid consume per hour?"

"An adult?" he clarified absently and then paused as if to consider, "About 15 cubic lek per hour, sweetling."

She nodded, "And consciousness cannot be supported at less than one and a half part in ten oxygen." She bit her lip and shook her head, "I have potions of water-breathing but nothing for a truly oxygen-deficient atmosphere. I don't know the Air Bubble spell, either." She sighed and then shook her head, "Knowing this doesn't even help unless I knew how large this cave complex is anyway, but it is a bit difficult for me not to be a bit anxious when our plan involves entombing us here."

Meril's mom was a bit claustrophobic, which was kind of amusing since she had lived in secret hideouts like this for at least a decade before I, or rather Meril, was born. I did know how large the cave complex was. Approximately, at least, but while I wasn't an expert, I thought carbon dioxide buildup would kill us quicker than the lack of oxygen, so I didn't mention anything. Besides, we could survive for days, anyway. Far longer than we'd be in here.

Also, this world didn't have enough knowledge of biology and chemistry to understand that. The literal translation to this language's word for "oxygen" would be "vital air."

Many Wizards and other scholars knew there was something in the air that most life needed and even knew the relative percentage available in normal air. But they didn't precisely understand the mechanism and biology of respiration. I couldn't claim to entirely understand it either, but at the same time I thought that every submariner was concerned about what would happen if the air got stale, so I knew enough.

But the people here? Since it was the same thing that fires needed, they had mostly considered it some sort of fire animism. They'd explain that a living thing needed oxygen to fuel the fires of life, which was both close to correct but also an explanation that ruined further inquiry.

A couple of minutes later, my zombie arrived at the correct spot. He didn't need to trigger all of the amulets—they were explosive if they were damaged, so I just had him hold two of them and push the buttons as close as possible simultaneously. We could feel the rumble and hear the explosion from here.

"The tunnel is well and truly fucked, princess," Mom said so soon after that she had to have had her spectres following the zombie, but she used an Elvish word for the expletive instead of the Common we were speaking, "Forget hours; I think it might take days or a couple of determined dwarves. Certainly longer than I'd want to stay here." Then she reached into her pack and pulled out a mirror, speaking the words to a Clairvoyance spell.

After a moment, she nodded, "They're at the blockage. They're talking. And... they're leaving." She turned to her husband and said archly, "They're quite wroth with us, dear. How quickly they abandoned poor Jim." She glanced at the spot in the circle where Meril had stabbed him, "I don't think they liked him much. They're going to post guards outside the cave and an observer at our rented house. What a bother, there's quite a lot of things we're going to be leaving behind."

"Better our lives than our things, snookums! Besides, we have most of our valuables on us," my dad remarked brightly before saying, "I think I'll have this open in a jiffy."

"I will truly miss Hector the Spectre," my mom said wistfully. That had been a wraith that my mom had been nurturing for years, almost to the point where it was regaining some level of intellect. It was also incredibly dangerous, and hated all living things with a passion, including and especially us.

It also served as the lynchpin of a number of magical defences they set every time they moved to a new location. The magic of the wards relied upon him but also fed him so that he would persist almost indefinitely. I felt very, very bad for the landlord we had rented that house from or anyone he tried to rent it to next. They'd have to call in a wizard or a cleric from some god, and even then, they'd have to first deal with the wards and Hector themselves.

I smiled, "About that. The knowledge I gained was knowledge about everything in this cave system. That includes a secret vault in one of the food pantries. There's quite a lot of loot inside, including a whole bookshelf full of arcane texts and grimoires. Most cover advanced necromancy and ritual magic."

The secret area used purely a mechanical mechanism, probably to hide it. Detect Magic was almost required when looting a den of necromancers, but purely physical mechanisms combined with anti-divination wards might be missed. And I had spent long enough with my head in the wall examining every piece of it to know precisely how to trigger it without also triggering the deadly traps.

Both adults froze, with my dad turning to stare at me. As what might be described as a mid-level journeyman necromancer, you couldn't just go to the Institute of Higher Necromancy to get lessons because, of course, such places didn't exist. At least not in the country we were in. I had no doubt that many arcane academies secretly studied and kept all manners of tomes on the subject, but that was likely out of the question, too. Necromancy was one of the primary ways wizards had to extend their lives, after all, so I was sure it was studied carefully, if quietly.

So, the promise of advanced instruction, even if it was only from books, in the school of magic that they were both focusing on was literally more valuable than the book's weight in gold. And the books were heavy! Meril's mom started clapping and said, "Yay!" Then she did a little dance and flashed me a pair of finger guns.

I didn't even know why that hand gesture existed in this world since there were no guns at all, not even "handgonnes" that I would have expected in Eberron. Finger-crossbows, I suppose it must be called, but Meril had never really known. It was just a gesture that her mom liked to do like a goof, sometimes.

Advanced necromantic knowledge was especially important to Meril's mother. People studied necromancy for all sorts of reasons, but for Serinre, it was for one purpose alone. Extending the life of the man she had fallen in love with. An elf falling in love with a human was the basis of many tragic stories, but Meril's mom didn't intend for her husband to die. Ever. He was also of a similar mind. As such, she focused most of her time studying necromancy that affected souls, spirits and how necromantic energies affected the still living body.

There were numerous ways to extend someone's life, but most of the accessible ones involved some necromancy, even ones that didn't involve transformation into some sort of undead creature. The magic of death could be turned in on itself to push death away, if you were wise enough.

Of the books I had read detailed two. The first was easier to do but involved taking over someone else's body, turning yourself into a type of possessor entity. That kind of hit home for me, because that's exactly what I felt like, and made me a bit uncomfortable with the prospect.

The latter was much more challenging to do and expensive, but it involved creating a clone that your soul would transfer into in the event that your body died for any reason, including old age. I didn't really understand how to accomplish either, even if I had the texts of both books committed to memory, just like I didn't understand how to build a rocket in my past life despite reading books about it and knowing sort of how it worked.

"Wait, wait... I want to go with you. Let me get this hatch open first, though," the dad said. I glanced down at my hands, which were covered in blood and made a distasteful noise. My robes, which were stereotypically black as hell, were also covered in and around my breasts, which was also something a bit new to me and, more or less unwelcome.

Sighing, I wiped my bloody hands all over the pitch black robes I was wearing, cleaning my hands as much as possible. Then, I cast the cantrip that, in my last life, I would have called Prestidigitation. Here, it didn't have that name. It was just called the Apprentice's Cantrip because it was mostly used by those learning magic to practice control. Still, it cleaned off all of the blood from my robe instantly. My hands, however, I would still have to scrub manually later.

We didn't have to wait long. He got the hatch open, and we briefly stepped into the teleportation chamber. Meril's mom asked affably, "Princess, would you create some light?" While we all had Darkvision, Mom and I naturally, while Dad had a magical item, it wasn't great for seeing details.

Although I was in the body of their beloved daughter, I was still barely more than an Apprentice, and it was normal, both for an Apprentice in Magic and for a child, to get scut jobs. I nodded and walked along the edge of the wall slowly. As I made a circuit of the octagon-shaped room, I slapped the wall periodically, casting the Light cantrip multiple times.

This was also different from my expectations, as normally, the DM would say that recasting the Light cantrip would cause the first light to extinguish. Here, you could do it as long as your magical stamina lasted. The light would only last a couple of hours at most, but the room was brightly lit for that time.

"Oh, how interesting. How did you get the light to come out so brightly white?" asked Meril's dad, glancing at the pure white orbs hugging the side of the wall. I winced internally. Normally, this spell created a warm orange light, like a torch. However, I was thinking that the cantrip might create a brighter light if I didn't focus on a specific wavelength or colour, and sure enough, it came out as a pure white light.

I doubted that was a particularly innovative creation as playing with the colour of the spell was one of the first things someone would try when they were learning it. It was that I had done so with the idea of what the visual spectrum and light were, so I had a little better success. Even with that, I was sure people had done it before.

"Instead of thinking of a specific colour, I had the idea to think of all colours, and it came out as a white light," I said, tilting my head to the side as if I was curious too. The state-of-the-art knowledge about light in the world and of optics was on the level of Isaac Newton and his experiments with prisms, so it wasn't as though the concept was that shocking. Actually, I was pretty sure that most Illusion school masters knew a lot more than that, but that wasn't a school of magic that my dad studied. Merildwen did, though.

"Hmm..." was the reply, as he tapped the wall himself, creating a similar white light, if a bit dimmer, before nodding. Then he walked over to the cabinet where the silver ingots and forging supplies were located, "Give me a moment to get this furnace going. It's going to take most of this silver, so we'll only have one shot at this."

After he got everything going, I led them both to the pantry in question. I conjured a Mage Hand and had it perform the series of actions that I had carefully identified that would cause the secret door to open. I had spent a long time looking at the mechanism as a spirit, but even then, I was a bit leary to do it with my real hand as there were a number of traps, mostly involving darts that were obviously poisoned.

The vault itself was locked, but it only had a mechanical combination lock, which puzzled Meril's parents. I quickly dialled in the correct combination with the Mage Hand, and we stepped in.

A lot was missing, but a lot remained.

Possibly, more than we'd be able to carry out, even with a teleportation circle to help us. Both adults went straight to the wall of bookshelves in a corner and hummed, peering at titles. After a few minutes, Merildwen's mother asked worriedly, "You said you have all of the information in these books in your head? Are you okay? This tome will cause madness if you're not careful." Her eyes had the bright blue glow of someone performing divination magic.

I looked at the one she was pointing at. It was one of the books on ritual magic, and while some of the rituals in there were obscene and vile, it wasn't anything more to me than distasteful. I nodded and then thought about it. If that were truly the case, and the tome was slightly cursed, then I thought I must have developed something of a resistance to purely memetic-based info-hazards due to...

I managed to stop myself before I thought about it, which pleased me. Progress! Still, what I had seen made even the most vile description of ritual seem like an inventory of radishes in a storehouse. The very fact that I wasn't screaming my head off was impressive, although I suppose I had done enough of that while I was disembodied. "Yes, I'm fine, I think. That book has some really vile things in it, though. Like necessary reagents created from the tormented souls of infants level vile."

Mom scrunched up her face and shook her head, "Some manner of ghost foetus based sin ritual, I suppose. How disgusting. The Cavern of Lost Souls eradicated a small sect that specialised in things like that. A bit much for even us, you know? The Elders claimed they destroyed all of their research notes, but perhaps not." She shook her head before asking, "Is there anything in it that isn't just beyond the pale?"

I thought about it, but finally, I nodded reluctantly, "Yes, only a few of the rituals in there are really disgusting."

They were both very happy with all of the books, and we started looking at the general loot. There was some currency, but most of the valuables were items or weapons that were different or unique enough not to be stored in the main armoury.

"Oooh... a Netherjade Pearl amulet," Meril's mom said. I mentally paused. I was just going to stop referring to her in the third person. It wasn't doing me any favours and might get me in trouble if I stayed with them in the future.

My mom pulled an amulet from a shelf and held it out, smiling. Then she pulled off a somewhat similar-looking amulet from her own neck and held it out to me. I took it and peered at it. She said, "This is substantially worse than the Netherjade Pearl, but both amulets increase one's affinity and capacity for controlling and raising spirit-type undead, Princess. Here, you can have my old amulet."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. Her amulet was one of the most expensive things we owned, and in addition to increasing affinity with ghosts, it also contained a small dimension that could store ghosts in. It could store either one wraith or eight shadows, and it was also the way we carried Hector with us from place to place.

I put it around my neck, feeling a slight chill suffuse into my being. It wasn't uncomfortable, though. My mom, like myself, specialised in ghost-type undead. My dad wasn't even, technically, a necromancer. His most accomplished school was Enchantment, followed by Necromancy.

I found a few other things to take that neither my parents wanted—some material components for my pouch, a dark short bow and arrows that my dad said was of Drow-make, and a wand that could cast the first level spell Flay twice a day.

The latter could be used as a weapon, but it was more useful to necromancers as a tool. While it would only perform a slashing-type attack on a living thing, if used on a corpse, all of the "meat" bits would be removed from the bones cleanly.

A lot of necromancers didn't like zombies for a lot of reasons. I agreed with them. They smelled! Skeletons were also smarter, so skeletons were generally preferred, and this was likely a tool used to help process corpses.

I also got another hand-me-down, this time a ring from my dad that could cast Ray of Enfeeblement once a day. It had already been used today on poor Jim in order to help Merildwen overpower the man during his ritual sacrifice, though.

My parents carried the money between them, but I grabbed a small sack of coins too and eyed them defiantly, which caused my dad to ruffle my hair. Then, I spent the next half hour running back and forth, using my hammerspace to transport all of the items out of the vault and into the ritual chamber.

After the silver inlays were repoured in the teleportation room and cooled, we transferred all of the loot downstairs. The heaviest items were the books, which numbered over thirty. I asked curiously, "Have you ever performed a teleportation ritual?"

"Well... no," he said, finally. "But I'm fairly confident. Still, we'll want to stand as close to the centre of the circle as possible."

We rearranged the loot to put the most valuable items closest to us, just in case. And both my parents grabbed the books they found the most interesting and placed them in their personal bags. My hammerspace was about half full, so I filled the rest of it with miscellaneous items that were on the periphery of the circle.

"Alright, the circle is activated," my dad said, glancing down at the slowly energising circle that he activated. Arcane light could be sensed flowing through the circuit over and over, building in strength with a repeated clicking noise. "Timing loop is working correctly, and capacitors are charging. I have a destination in mind. Be careful not to touch each other."

I held my hands stiffly at my side, and he grinned, "Here we go—wait, fuck..."

I widened my eyes and opened my mouth to say something. My mom looked upset, and I could feel her casting a temporary telepathic link. It was the simple Message cantrip. A person could send a short message, and the recipient could reply. They had used this spell to communicate while plotting to betray Jim. I felt the spell settle over my mind, and then, with a flash, I was gone.

Blinking, I found myself alone in the middle of a forest. It was kind of ironic, as that was how I started the day back in Colorado.

<We'll find you!>

The voice in my head only had time for a brief message after I arrived. Message had a very limited range. Using it right before a teleport when you thought you might be separated was something I would have expected out of a munchkin if this was a campaign, so I was pretty impressed. I sent back, <Be safe! In a forest!>.

I didn't have any sense of direction or distance before the link disappeared. I also felt the lingering connection between me and Merildwen snap like a rubber band. I had learned a little bit about her plans back in Colorado, and although it made me a bit uneasy, it wasn't as though I could blame her. I didn't have time to think about it right now, though.

I looked at my feet. There were a few items that came along with me, but nothing particularly interesting. Still, I would try to gather everything. When you were in a survival situation, you never knew what might prove invaluable.

For now, though, I just sat on a log and let the mental "clothes" of Merildwen's personality recede, becoming more myself, and let out a loud, "What the fuck!"

It had been a day.

This seems really promising! Interactions with out-of-context powers and abilities are always fun to explore, especially between something and cultivation, so I'm looking forward to it.

Nihao
I had a strong desire to just sit there on a log, like a log, and think—about what the hell happened to me, about where I was and whether I could get back, and lastly, about Merildwen's tentative plans to take over the planet Earth.

I wasn't sure I could blame her—due to my pet goat, we were both a lot more insane than we were yesterday, even if it wasn't entirely apparent from the outside, and I probably would be doing the same thing if I suddenly got the same powers as a Wizard when nobody else had them. I probably wouldn't have thought that yesterday, though, and my main issue was one of slight discomfort at someone doing such things in my body.

Before our connection snapped, I could tell Merildwen had similar concerns, and she was upset, thinking I had gotten the vastly better deal here when you compared a humanoid in their mid-thirties to an elvenoid in their mid-twenties. Half-elves didn't work like in the tabletop game I was so familiar with, either.

Merildwen was indistinguishable from a full-blooded elf. The only way that someone could tell she was a half-elf was the fact that she looked almost like a clone of her mother. The genetics of an elf were, apparently, so dominant that they override most of the human genome. Half-elves had the same lifespan as regular elves, and it kind of reminded me of the space babes Asari from Mass Effect.

As the connection between me and Merildwen snapped, she was already meditating and using the Mental Palace technique to commit all of the books I read into memory. That was a good idea since they formed a rather complete Necromantic education, at least up to level seven spells. Eight, if you included Clone.

Perhaps I should do that, too? The memories from when we were both disembodied souls seemed incredibly vivid, but I didn't know if they would start to fade after a while.

However, just before I closed my eyes to consider it, I noticed something... off about the forest I was in. The canopy above seemed thick at first glance, but Merildwen's vision was a lot better than mine. Darkvision noticed that what I thought, at first, was a thick forest canopy was actually webbing that bridged individual trees. A lot of webbing. Like from spiders. Giant spiders.

A part of my brain reminded me that Giant Spiders were only a challenge rating 1 monster and that I could be considered something close to a level four Wizard since I could almost cast level three spells. But the rest of my brain reminded me that a challenge rating was designed for a full party, Wizards were notoriously squishy and difficult to play solo, and most importantly, this wasn't a fucking game!

I quickly stood up and looked around.

"Holy fuuucck!" I yelled as I saw a spider the size of a calf descending slowly and silently down a strong silk line just behind the log I had been sitting on. Another minute or so sitting navel-gazing, and it would have been at pedipalp level of the back of my head. The fucker was quiet!

I thrust out my hand, twisted it into an odd shape, and yelled the verbal component to the Fire Bolt cantrip. Merildwen, and as an extension, me were not good at Evocation. It made me incredibly sad because while I was close to casting level three spells, the most complicated Evocation I could cast was Magic Missile. No fireballs for me any time soon. And what kind of Wizard didn't spam fireballs?!

That was another way that my "reality" was different from the tabletop. In the game, you could cast all spells from the entire Wizard spell list, so long as you met the level requirement. Here, you had to study each spell individually and more advanced spells in a school built on the lower-level spells. To cast Fireball, I would have to put a lot of study into other Evocations.

That was a total nerf, I thought. Normally, when I played Wizard, I was all about fireballs. Who wasn't?

The cantrip was completed, and a relatively small bolt of fire shot from my outstretched hands and accurately struck the descending arachnid. I chose Fire Bolt because spiders, and especially their webbing, were weak to fire and also because a giant fucking spider was coming to eat my head! Burn it with fire!

I was a little surprised that the Fire Bolt seemed to be kind of weak, though. Was this a function of me or the place I was in? From Meril's memories, it seemed as though the spell was harder to cast while delivering only two-thirds of the effects. Still, it struck the spider accurately, splashing across its exoskeleton with the creature screeching in pain. The fire spilt over the creature's rear, catching fire to its spinneret and setting the webbing it was descending to on fire, snapping the strong web line and causing the arachnid to fall a good eight metres to thump, hard, against the ground below.

I had already started backing up after making sure nobody else was behind me to put some additional space between us. When the spider hit the ground, I pulled out a bit of fleece from one of my pockets and cast my second spell, Phantasmal Force—a second-level spell from the Illusion school. Merildwen's primary school of magic was, obviously, Necromancy. The school she was next best at was Illusion.

This seemed like a terrible choice from my perspective, as I generally hated both schools when I played a Wizard. Necromancy was both weak and expensive in gold and resources, while Illusion was generally always up to the DM as to how well it performed, and DMs hated illusions, typically. Also, I hated people who played Necs because most of them took forever, rolling each individual skeleton's dice one at a time. It made their turn take the equivalent of everyone else's turn combined and was a drag on the game.

However, there wasn't really a DM here right now, as far as I knew. If that were true, maybe the Illusion school could be overpowered. Phantasmal Force was one of the most powerful second-level spells in the game if the DM lets you go wild with it. When the spell succeeded, you could create an illusion that the target believed so much that it could cause them damage, and their belief in the illusion was total. The standard example was that if you created the illusion of a bridge over a chasm, the target would walk over it, fall through, and then try to rationalise why it fell from a perfectly good bridge, thinking up something like a gust of wind blew it off or some similar explanation.

In this case, I created the illusion of a sphere of fire with the spider at the centre of it, although it wasn't in the fire. The fire was just the edge of the sphere. If it were an illusion of being inside fire, the illusion probably wouldn't work, or if it did, the spider would immediately leap out of it to try to save itself. However, if it moved very much in any direction, it would touch the fire. It was basically the illusion of a cage of fire.

This would cause real damage if it touched the walls—of the psychic type, as well as likely immobilise the creature in the centre, as most animals wouldn't willingly walk into fire. That was my main objective.

I saw the arachnid right itself shake itself off and then glance around. It cautiously extended a foreleg and then snapped it back when it touched the illusory fire. Phantasmal Force created a purely mental illusion in one creature, so if anyone else were here observing, they would be quite confused.

Nodding, I shoved the rest of the fleece back into one of the small pockets on my robe and shifted my fingers into a different shape before calling out the verbal component to Eldritch Blast. This was generally considered the best cantrip in the game, even if Merildwen wasn't a real Warlock. While she did have a pact with a devil and got the ability to cast this cantrip along with her Imp familiar, it was not on the level of a Multiclass. Basically, it was the same as if she had taken the Magic Initiate: Warlock feat at level four, I supposed, although I didn't think things worked precisely like that.

Realistically, it wasn't a feat that Wizards often took because, in the game, it would cause the spellcasting stat to use Charisma as on rolls still. Wizards needed all of the Intelligence they could get, so they generally treated Charisma as a dump stat, but I had the feeling that things in "reality" weren't as cut and dried as they were on the tabletop game.

She didn't have any of the Warlock invocations that made Eldritch Blast really deadly either, but that didn't stop it from being one of, if not the best, damage cantrip in the game. I just aimed in the centre of the illusory sphere, which I was keeping up through concentration. A single beam of force lanced out from my hand and struck the spider dead-on on its head, causing it to shriek in pain again.

Before it could psyche itself up to try to jump through the fire sphere, I shifted and cast Toll the Dead, a Necromancy cantrip and another one of the best damage cantrips available.

While the fact that you had to learn spells individually and couldn't just cast any spell at your level was a huge nerf, it was somewhat offset by the fact that I didn't have a limit to the number of spells I knew or could cast. If this were a game, I would only be allowed four cantrips, but instead, Merildwen knew basically all of them—including a lot that did not exist in the game at all.

This wasn't unusual, either. You had to learn all of the cantrips because you had to practice cantrips in a school before you could learn level one spells reliably, and then you had to practice level one spells in the school before you could cast level two spells, and so on. It made a Wizard's spellbook very expansive at lower levels but more specialised at higher ones.

To my surprise, Toll the Dead flew from my fingers as if it wanted to be cast and, with a sorrowful gong, smashed the spider to death. I didn't think it was generally that effective. In Merildwen's experience, I was expecting to have to cast it again to finish off the spider.

I didn't want to wait around to think about the differences in my cantrip's effectiveness, though. I glanced around to make sure there weren't more spiders coming and quickly attempted to summon Merildwen's familiar, an Imp named Tistix.

Instead, what appeared was a ghost of a Chinaman floating in the air... I shook my head, as that wasn't the preferred nomenclature, and I didn't want to offend. Rephrasing my thoughts, the ghost of the Chinese person, who happened to be a man, floated there, glancing around. He had an odd outfit, as one would expect from a kung-fu period film.

I hissed at him, suddenly wary, "Who the fuck are you, and where is Tistix?"

He replied in Chinese. Or at least, what sounded like Chinese. Of course. Merildwen knew Common, Elvish and even some Drow, and I knew English and Bad English. If you took our knowledge combined, I could be considered quite cosmopolitan in the languages I knew, but none of them were fucking Chinese!

I was also quite bad at casting Divinations, despite Merildwen's mother attempting to teach her often, but I could cast Comprehend Language. But... did I have enough time?

I glanced around and figured I maybe did. I wasn't presently being swarmed yet. I had intended to ask Tistix to fly up around the webbing in the canopy and tell me which direction to run that looked less spidery. That was important. I figured I was on the edge of whatever territory these spiders had, on account that I hadn't been swarmed by more of them, but it would be difficult to tell which direction led to more spiders here on the ground. Aerial recon was needed.

I fished through my pockets and found some salt, but I didn't have any soot with me. Growling, I picked up a small branch and burned it to ashes, somewhat painfully catching some soot with my hand before casting Comprehend Language.

Comprehend Language only worked one way. I could understand him, but it did nothing to let him understand me. However, intelligent ghosts were often like Devils and other extraplanar creatures and had something to the same effect on them continuously. I hoped he was the same.

"Can you understand me?" I hissed out in a whisper.

He nodded, "Of course!"

"Then, where the hell is Tistix and who are you?" I asked him again, forcefully. Theoretically, anything summoned by Find Familiar just cannot be hostile towards you, but did this ghost count as a familiar, or did it just take over the extradimensional space that Tistix waited in when I didn't have him summoned?

I didn't know, but I was quite cautious. Ghosts were dangerous opponents when you were alone, even to Necromancers. I didn't want to be possessed with nobody around to drive the spirit out, so I had a fistful of ghost dust ready as well as the level-two Necromancy spell Chain Spirit, although I wasn't entirely sure how effective it would be, as this ghost looked unusual. Normally, such a low-level spell wouldn't even work on an uninjured ghost, but through the familiar bond, I had the capability to cast spells directly at it, bypassing the ability to resist.

This would be considered breaking the familiar contract, so I would only do it if I felt that it was going to attack me first.

The ghost seemed somewhat sympathetic to my plight, which was already more than I would have expected from Tistix, before he replied, "I am Chen Lu, a lowly third assistant to a page to the Assistant Junior Yama King, Judge Wu. When you appeared in this plane, the uhh..." he paused, and tilted his head up, "...Erinyes Oriella sold your soul debt to Judge Wu. It would be difficult for her to collect here, obviously. The clause in your contract that specified assistance by this ... Tistix... can no longer be provided, but I am here due to the substitution subclause. I will provide all assistance that this Tistix could and would have provided for the contract term, subject to some limitations."

Sold Merildwen's soul debt?! The contract was really, really specific on when that was permissible. Oriella couldn't sell it to just anyone. She could only sell it to someone she knew would comply with the provisions. Practically, this only meant other devils. Perhaps Angels or other highly Lawful entities, but it wasn't like Angels were in the business of buying souls in the first place.

This meant that whoever this Assistant Yama King was... no, wait. Assistant Junior Yama King. Whoever this Judge Wu was, I could be pretty confident it was a very lawful entity. Assuming the ghost wasn't lying.

Sighing, I considered my options. I had the choice to dismiss the familiar or even sever the familiar bond if I didn't trust this ghost, but I kind of really did need the intelligence it could provide. It was a lot more intelligent than Tistix, but I didn't know if I could use that intelligence or not. It might just be explaining things now and would refuse to use a lot of its intelligence beyond what Tistix could have done. That's what I would expect if it were a Devil, to fulfil only the strict terms of the agreement and no more. I would have to test it if I decided I could trust him.

I decided I would use its help for now. I said, "Okay, let's table that for now. I need you to go up above the trees and find a direction to travel that looks the safest. Practically, that means not further into the nest of spiders in this forest. Use telepathy to tell me which direction to go."

I made sure to specify those last two items, as that was important information that Tistix would have needed to be told. Otherwise, it would have been possible that Tistix would lead me, with loud shouts and shrieks, directly into the spiders. Imps were just... not incredibly bright, and while an Imp familiar couldn't harm you directly, sometimes they could indirectly if you were stupid about it.

The ghost man paused and then nodded, floating directly up into the air. As he floated away, I grabbed the material component for one of my most useful spells and cast Invisibility. This wasn't as godly in a forest as one would think, as a lot of animals and monsters just as often used hearing and scent instead of vision, and this wouldn't stop me from crunching a twig underfoot or anything.

Still, it was one of the best spells I had for this situation. I glanced around, seeing a number of things on the ground where I had appeared in the forest. There were a number of things that might be useful. But nothing spectacular. A few unenchanted swords, a couple of the books I had already read, but not the most interesting ones. Those went straight into the packs of Meril's mom and dad. It was all generic loot that we intended to sell off.

Both my hammerspace and my backpack were filled with more valuable things and food. I put mainly the heavy spell components that we found in the vault in my hammerspace, like ghost dust, which I had the feeling must be made out of lead or uranium. I didn't have enough room to store those random items on the forest floor, nor did I want to try to haul them away, so I just left them. Perhaps I could come back and retrieve them, but I wasn't missing out on too much if I couldn't.

<This way, Miss> the mental voice of the ghost touched my mind, and I glanced up and saw him waving. I nodded, turned, and set off in that direction. I moved somewhat slowly, using mainly my own experience instead of Merildwen's to step lightly in a forest so I wasn't moving too fast. I wish I had my carbine. Magic was nice, incredible even. But thirty rounds of 6.8 Remington Special was a lot more deadly than most of the low-level spells I had access to.

The familiar link seemed to be working. We could communicate telepathically, and I could see through its "eyes" as well. That boded well for it to be telling the truth and not being a malevolent spirit that somehow managed to hijack the summoning. Sighing, I used a combination of my Darkvision and seeing through the eyes of the ghost to navigate my way through the forest. We passed a couple more spiders and a few other dangerous-looking creatures, like a surprisingly agile-looking giant snake, which snapped at the ghost but whose attack just passed through it.

At a point when my Invisibility was about to wear off, we found a relatively open area, and I called the ghost down. I asked him, "Do you know where we are?"

It frowned and looked sympathetic before saying, "A forest is all I can say." I felt that he obviously knew more than that, but decided not to make a scene right now. Sighing, I ordered him up into the air again, right up to the limit where I would no longer be able to see through his eyes or hear his telepathy, which was about forty metres. I told him to float there and tell me if anything approached me.

I sat my backpack down, pulled out some food from it and then pulled out my water canteen from my hammerspace. I first thought that the teleportation just sent me to a random location on Borea, the planet Merildwen grew up in. But things were looking worse than that. I caused one of the two silver ingots I grabbed from the teleportation room to appear in my hand and peered at it. It didn't look like anything but silver, but a regular teleportation circle should definitely not be able to send someone to a different Crystal Sphere, much less an entirely different Material Plane like the ghost seemed to be implying.

He had said that the Oriella wouldn't easily be able to collect me here, which meant that it was either cut off from the Hells or featured an entirely different cosmology, which would imply that it wasn't the same Prime Material Plane, but instead something like an alternate dimension. There were numerous planets that scholars knew about and could even travel to, but it was pretty well agreed that they were all on the same "material plane." They were just located a long way apart like Earth's solar system was located a long way from Alpha Centauri in my old life.

This meant that my... or rather Meril's parents may find it a lot more difficult to rescue me. Theoretically, they should be able to communicate with me soon with Sending, a third-level Evocation that can deliver a short message to anyone the caster knew, regardless of what plane they were in.

It did feel as though the short message I sent when Meril's mom cast Message did go through, too, so that was a good sign that Sending would work as well. However, I wasn't sure anyone had ever tried it through different prime materials. I had copies of the Sending spell, but I could barely cast Magic Missile reliably, much less a third-level evocation, so I would have to wait until they contacted me.

A lot of assumptions in Wizardry were based on the fact that there was only one prime material plane. For example, how was I casting spells if there was no Weave? One could argue that the study of magic was the study of the Weave itself, and there were many different opinions on what it was. The most popular was that it was a plane-wide continual conjuring by the Goddess of Magic herself, an almost physical thing that allowed one to cast spells. But unless she also existed in this area, I could pretty much debunk that idea.

I sighed. I might never see them again. I didn't know if that was good or bad. If they could somehow detect that I wasn't actually their daughter, then not seeing them again was definitely good. I didn't want Meril's mom to pull my soul out of my body and give it to a Devil to torture or turn into a Lemure, and she definitely could and probably would. Or do worse if she thought I was behind what happened.

If they couldn't detect I was something of an imposter, then it was pretty bad, as they were both strong and devoted to keeping me alive.

I glanced down at my hands, which were still stained with blood and paused before I actually pulled any of my food out. The area around was fairly open, with the trees fairly thin, and there was a small creek about half a klick further the way I was travelling. I put everything away, grabbed my backpack, hiked the rest of the way to the creek and sat everything down again.

First was to take stock of what I had to work with, and after that find ways to secure everything I needed to live. That amounted to oxygen, water, food, and shelter. Fortunately, the oxygen part was taken care of by the atmosphere of this planet, but the rest I would have to work for after my stocks were depleted.

However, I desired to be clean first. I thought that would help my frame of mind. I got some soap and a few small towels from my backpack and took off my clothes, setting them aside.

Looking down at my present body in the buff, I sighed. This wasn't a welcome sight.

I was never really one to want to know how the other half lived. Being male was better, in my opinion, and that was in a modern liberal democracy. I really doubted fantasy lands were as egalitarian as the tabletop games suggested, especially if this planet was modelled after Ancient fucking China. I suppose it could be worse, though. Viking planet or Arab planet would both probably be worse for my present sex.

Also, although Merildwen was in her mid-twenties, elves aged slow enough that it felt vaguely creepy to be looking at myself from the mental perspective of a man in his mid-thirties, too.

Theoretically, Merildwen was right. I got the better end of the bargain since she could be expected to live up to five hundred more years while my body back in Colorado probably only had a good forty years left. Maybe less, since Alzheimer's ran in my family.

That said, I found it difficult to care too much about hundreds of years when I might not live to next week, depending on where I was and what threats were around.

Shaking my head, I used the soap and water to clean off my hands and chest. The blood had soaked through my robes before I used Prestidigitation to clean them, after all. There was a surprising amount of blood spatter when you ritually sacrificed someone.

After drying myself, I cast Prestidigitation on each item of my clothes to clean them again before putting them back on, along with a final cast to change the colour of my robe from an edgy black to a brown-green that matched the forest pretty well. Prestidigitation couldn't do camouflage; it could only change solid colours, no shapes at all—so I just went with a colour that would blend in as much as possible.

I also slid in the amulet underneath my robe. It was a bit gaudy. It was also, with the possible exception of the ritual dagger, the most expensive thing I had managed to take with me. The ritual dagger was expensive because it incorporated a large soul jar in the form of a large red ruby in the pommel.

That was where the soul of Jim was currently resting, and it could store maybe another twenty average people as well. It kind of depended, as the size of someone's soul varied on a number of factors. A good rule of thumb was that the more powerful someone was in life, the larger their soul, though.

I was pleased to discover inside the amulet was one Shadow, though. Shadows were one of the most deadly monsters for their challenge rating, and as such, the game never let Necromancer players control them at all. It wasn't that they were strong, but Shadows had a strength drain attack that would temporarily drain the strength of an enemy, instead of dealing them physical damage.

However, if someone's strength was drained to zero, they died. Not only that, but four hours later, a new shadow popped up. Merildwen had studied how the process of turning a sentient creature into a shadow worked, and like with many undead, it didn't actually have much to do with the soul, merely the spirit. If a soul was a peach pit, the spirit was the peach. When you died, the spirit often remained behind for one reason or another, and that could form non-sapient undead like Shadows and Wraiths.

Shadows were also ridiculously lethal to someone like me who had low strength to begin with. They could two-shot many low-level Wizards, which I counted as. I'd like to bring the Shadow out because it could provide some protection, but I wasn't a hundred percent confident on my Chain Spirit spell. I'd like to cast it as a ritual, instead, as that increased its effectiveness by at least half again.

It was probably just me being paranoid, but since the Shadow could and would rapidly kill me if the casting failed, I felt it important to do it as a ritual the first time, where I could have a contingency if the casting failed. That would give me twenty-four hours of control over it, and I could recast it as I pleased so long as the Shadow was still under my command.

So long as I had one Shadow, I could fill up my amulet with seven more of them so long as I found seven people I didn't like and fed them to the Shadow. I didn't think a few days ago I would have considered feeding people to an intangible undead as something I would do under any circumstances, but today, I would throw ten Jims to them as a matter of course, so long as if they tried to kill me first or even if they were deeply repellent to me.

The rest of the things I had were somewhat to highly valuable, but only situationally. Ghost dust was quite valuable, but only to necromancers and a few types of clerics. The other spell components were similar. I had about a dozen healing potions, though. Those were always valuable, but I would prefer to keep them to myself—just like I would prefer to keep my two most valuable items, my amulet and ritual dagger. Those I would not sell for any price despite their value.

They both might be irreplaceable, depending on the state of magic in this world. Also, since I had to capture souls in order to settle my debt, losing the dagger might be a real problem.

For reasons specific to Devils and which were enumerated in Meril's contract, I couldn't just offer a soul inside a living mortal body to settle my debts. It had to be completely within my power in something akin to a soul jar, a magic jar, an anima jar, or a similar receptacle. A devil couldn't take the souls out of people's bodies non-willingly, after all. They could buy them like commodities, though.

The only exception was Erinyeses. They could come physically into the material plane since they weren't bound to the Hells the same way other Devil's were. If I were still dealing with Oriella, then I could have theoretically offered her physical bodies, and she could have just thrown them through a portal to the Hells.

Once a mortal dies in the Hells, they stay there and become a lemure, regardless of how they got there or if they consented to it, after all.

But the fact that an Erinyes could kidnap people and throw them bodily into the Hells was a very good reason to never, ever summon her or create a portal for her, as she could do the same thing to you as well. So Meril's contract specified that only disembodied, restrained souls were acceptable.

Creating a soul jar was a fifth or sixth-level necromantic ritual, depending on if it was just the temporary casting like Magic Jar or if it was something more permanent. Meril's mom could do it, and that was how she made the dagger, but it might take me a long time to reach her proficiency. I had to keep the knife, basically, was what I was saying.

So, in physical currency or the equivalent, I only had what amounted to a couple of hundred gold pieces, along with two ingots of maybe silver that each weighed approximately five pounds.

Ten pounds of silver sounded like a lot of money, but at least on Earth, the price of silver was so much lower that two hundred gold coins, even small ones, would be worth more. Who knew what the economy of this world was like, though? Maybe they didn't use precious metals at all, although Ancient China was all about gold and silver, so likely it would be useful if I ever found civilisation and didn't die in this forest.

Of the spell components that had immediate value were likely a number of gems, including one diamond. In total, they probably cost more than I had in gold coins, perhaps the small diamond itself costing more than two hundred gold.

Altogether, with straight physical currency, gems and the two bars of silver, I had what amounted to an equivalent bankroll of what eight or nine thousand dollars could buy me on Earth, assuming that the economy here was similar to the one on Borea. That was not a lot when you considered I might have to start a whole new life with it.

But it would be enough to get started, though.

After I got dressed and ate a sandwich, I spent about ten minutes recasting Comprehend Language as a ritual before the ghost above me sent me, telepathically, <I see a small village up ahead.>

I brightened. Maybe all of this talk about how much money I had was prescient. Maybe I wasn't so bad at Divination after all.

I ordered him to float back down and then asked him, "Are random villagers afraid of ghosts? Can you translate for me?"

He shrugged, "Probably. And, no."

I scowled. However, asking an Imp to translate for you was pretty stupid. So it wasn't surprising he wasn't willing to do it.

I sighed, and he said, "You only have about an hour left for me to be around, by the way."

I stopped and frowned, "What do you mean?!"

"I can only be summoned for two hours per day," he said primly.

I scowled, "Familiars can be out twenty-four-seven! That's why they are useful!"

"Sorry. Some limitations apply, as I said earlier. Everything is quite in line with the contract, though, I assure you!" he said, and I tapped my foot. We were already close enough to the village that I could probably proceed alone. Comprehend Language would allow some form of one-way communication, and it was very good for learning languages, too.

I didn't even know enough about Mandarin from Earth to know if this was the same language, but it sounded similar. I knew Mandarin was a tonal language like Elvish was, so maybe I'd be able to learn it rapidly since I already had some experience speaking this type of language.

I nodded and decisively dismissed him, causing him to vanish with a pop. I was going to assume that the two hours did not need to be contiguous. I could pop him in and out as I needed him, for now, and look at replacing him with a different familiar later. I liked the idea of a ghost familiar, but not one whose primary loyalty was to someone else, especially if that someone else had a hook into me.

I supposed it wasn't that dissimilar to having one of Oriella's Imps as a familiar, just shittier since I could only have him out for two hours, but there was no way I would have agreed to that back then, either. I would have preferred a crow, a fluffy black cat, or something. It would depend on how useful he was in the coming days.

I stopped before I set out, and frowned. My appearance... might be a problem, depending on how things on this planet were set up. I looked like a teenage Aryan elf, which may be an issue. Foreigners weren't often treated well by primitive cultures.

I might be overthinking things. It might be possible that foreign-looking young women were treated great here, but I didn't want to take the risk. I didn't want to waste a level one casting, either, so I sat down and spent about five to ten minutes to cast Disguise Self as a ritual.

I picked a human woman in her late twenties of Chinese descent. It'd be hard not to give them the idea that I was a foreigner when I couldn't speak the language, regardless of what I looked like, though. But a foreigner who looked like me was always treated better than someone who looked different and might be a different species.

I would have picked a male shape as that was what I was more comfortable in by far, but Disguise Self didn't change your voice. Also, I was "petite" now, not quite reaching Meril's mom's height yet, so I would have to pick a pretty short man, too.

To do all that, I'd have to use Major Image, which I was close to being able to cast as a ritual, but it would only last ten to twenty minutes. Not enough time at all. I was far and away from being able to cast permanent Major Images.

After I was suitably disguised as a local, I proceeded off. I had seen the village through the ghost's eyes, so I knew the direction where it was, but it was still quite difficult to see at night, even with Darkvision. Finally, I noticed it in the distance. The architecture was typical of what I'd imagine an Ancient Chinese village to look like.

Although, it wasn't as though I had any experience. I hadn't even been to Chinatown, much less China, in my past life. I did like kung-fu movies, though, so it was congruent with what I expected from films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero.

As I approached, I started to feel a chill in the air, though, and the edge of the village seemed to be coated in a fog, although it wasn't dense, and I could both see through it and over it.

As I got even closer, I paused and frowned. Something wasn't quite looking right. The village looked dilapidated and almost abandoned now that I was close to it. I summoned the ghost again. Wait, did surnames go first or last in China? Was he Mr Chen or Mr Lu? I frowned.

"Chen Lu, please take a look at the village up ahead. Something looks wrong. Look for any activity or anything you think is out of place and return to me," I ordered.

He nodded and flew towards the village as I resumed walking. I'd stop just before the village in case this was a Silent Hill situation. The fog was a little evocative in my mind.

I didn't have to wait too long, as he returned and said, "Miss, there doesn't appear to be anyone living in the village. There are bodies around. Sword and spear wounds on them suggest a violent end. Also, the level of yin qi in the air is incredibly high in this place."

What the fuck was yin? What the fuck was qi? Well, the latter I sort of knew about. It was like, uhh... the internal energy that kung-fu masters had, right? That allowed them to crush rocks with their fists. Merildwen's memories had more information, as there were Monk classes in her world that used Qi like that, but she didn't really know that much about it aside from that it made one's body strong.

And now that I thought about it, I knew about the Yin-Yang symbol, right? I just didn't know what yin was. Still, this was a lot more than I expected him to tell me.

"Can you tell me any more?" I asked, curious.

He shook his head, "No, sorry, Miss." Sighing, I nodded and said, "Stay above. Notify me if you see anything that might be a threat approaching me. Tell me before your time elapses, and you have to leave."

He nodded and floated up into the air a good fifteen metres above me. There was no way I wasn't going to investigate the village. I wanted, needed, someplace to rest and base out of. As long as I didn't see Pyramid Head around the village, then I didn't particularly mind if it was a deserted town. So long as there wasn't a gaggle of malevolent spirits here, it would be fine. Malevolent spirits ran the gamut. I didn't think I could take even one regular ghost, like my familiar, because they had ridiculously dangerous abilities like Possession and could hide in the ethereal plane. Ghost dust existed on both planes, and it would hurt any spirits, so it might allow me to deal with one ghost.

Ghosts were challenge-rating five monsters, though—actually really dangerous. Lesser incorporeal undead, like maybe a spectre or poltergeist, I thought I could handle.

As I stepped through the fog and into the village, I felt a slight sense of vertigo and a deep chill, but it passed immediately. The chill wasn't uncomfortable; in fact, I kind of liked it, and it felt refreshing. Brisk, even.

Ghosts could sense into the ethereal, as well as see magic as though they had the spell Detect Magic cast continuously, so he should be able to tell me if anything that goes bump in the night, other than him, appears near me. I hoped. I'd try to get my initial investigation done before he had to leave. This place felt strong to Necromantic magic, too, which would help me.

Wait... magic, huh? Perhaps that's what he meant by Qi? I frowned and opened myself up a little bit to magic in the local area. This wasn't like casting Detect Magic or anything structured like that. It was just an ability Wizards got after a while to notice the way the flow of the Weave shifted and moved.

Nodding. This place was fey, alright. The hint of necromancy was in the air, like static electricity on a cool, dry winter morning. The magic in the air had a feeling of coldness and etherealness. It felt quite good, actually, and I was pretty sure it was the reason I was feeling colder the closer I got to the village for the past hour.

That I liked the way it felt didn't mean I wasn't possibly in severe danger, though.

I came across one of the first bodies pretty quickly and peered down at it. Darkvision was good for seeing in the dark but not so great for seeing detail. It was kind of like forward-looking infrared; I could only see in shades of grey.

I looked around and grabbed a stick, casting the Light cantrip on it and using it as a torch, frowning as I held the light up to the body.

I wasn't a Crime Scene Investigator, nor was I an expert in the sword enough to say anything about the killer's swordsmanship technique based on the slash. But I was something of an expert on dead bodies these days thanks to Merildwen, and this one didn't look quite right. The blood was already congealed when they were slashed up as if someone hadn't slashed a living person but a dead body.

I sniffed delicately. To my calibrated nose, the body smelled of the undead—a bit like the natural type that rose on its own rather than rose through directed and controlled magic. How interesting.

I quickly moved through the village, finding a little more than three dozen similar bodies. They were all undead, as well. An entire village of the undead, risen naturally and then put to the sword? That didn't compute.

The ghost floated down to my head level and said, "I have to go now, Miss. I'll see you next time!" I nodded at him, still dissatisfied with his two-hour limitation. Still, we had looked through most of the village in the hour he had left, so I felt I had gotten some use out of him, at least. Maybe he could accept Jim's soul on behalf of this Judge fellow? I tried to remember to ask him next time.

I thought my ability to get out of this debt made in my name was a lot less likely in this plane compared to the one where Merildwen was born. There, the Hells kept detailed records and probably had one about the shape and composition of her soul. If those records hadn't been forwarded with the contract, then I might not be able to get out of the debt even if these ghost people were as lawful as Devils.

I decided to post up in the largest building in town. It consisted of a central courtyard surrounded by buildings on all four sides, made of made of wood, ceramic tiles and brick. I dragged two of the largest bodies into the courtyard and sat my things down.

It was a quirk of necromancy, but I wouldn't easily be able to reanimate a zombie that had already been killed. However, somewhat counterintuitively, I could reanimate them as a Skeleton if I got rid of all of their meaty bits. And you could reanimate Skeletons, so long as you repaired their bones if they got too broken. It was one reason why skellies were so much superior to zombies. You honestly didn't even need bones from the same person to animate a skeleton. You could mix and match.

Humming, I pulled out my new wand and cast Flay on both bodies. Ugh, that was grosser than I thought it would be.

On the floor, I then drew out a simple necromantic circle, usable for both Animate Dead as well as restraining and chaining spirits. I would need both, so it made sense for the ritual to be as flexible as possible, as I would be able to reuse it.

I was just on the border of being able to cast level three Necromantic spells, so I was limited to casting them as a ritual, and also, it took me over three times the normal time to do so. That was fine, though. I wasn't in a hurry right now, and every time I cast, I would get better at it.

According to Meril's mom, it was better to remember that slow is smooth and smooth is fast when dealing with animating the dead to unlife. Kind of like what my pa said about shooting when I was a boy. And second, all undead hate the living and generally hate necromancers more than most. This was especially true with spirit-type undead, like the shadow in my amulet. One should always proceed with prudent caution.

Thirty minutes later, my first skeleton came to life. Smiling, I mentally ordered it to guard the entrance to the courtyard. There were no weapons on any of the deceased villagers, but one of them had a large sledge hammer, which I had taken with me, and the skeleton picked it up.

My next skeleton took another thirty minutes, and I started to realise that Necromancy was possibly a lot stronger than it was in the tabletop game. In the game, you couldn't cast Animate Dead as a ritual. You had to use a third-level spell slot to do so.

This functioned as a game balance limit, as otherwise, a necromancer player character could, if they had a lot of time, amass a truly staggering amount of undead under their control. There was no reason a necromancer shouldn't be able to do this, and all antagonist necromancer NPCs always did because they could have hundreds of undead under their control. It was, strictly speaking, a way to limit player characters.

Then you also needed to recast Animate Dead every twenty-four hours per four undead in order to keep them from murdering you. That I still had to do, although I could do more than four undead at a time. I could do as many undead as would fit in the circle, so at least six with this small circle.

Instead of using an improvised weapon, I handed the second skeleton the Drow-made bow and arrows that I had taken from the vault.

Lastly, I carefully and cautiously cast Chain Spirit on the Shadow in my amulet, only at the last moment evicting it from the amulet when it was already trapped in the magic circle. The spell settled onto the intangible undead, and it finally stopped trying to escape, although now that it was somewhat connected to my mind, I could feel its hatred for everything, and me especially, only increase.

Although, I wasn't sure hatred was precisely the correct word. Animus might be better. It was just opposed, completely and utterly, to everything that lived. Hatred implied that it could think, and it really couldn't.

This was why Meril's mom said you should never really feel sympathy for malevolent spirits. They would always, always attempt to kill you if you gave them a chance, but this predictability also meant that dominating them as I had just done was safe, so long as you didn't let the spell duration elapse. They were more a computer program someone made than an entity.

Shadows were even stupider than Skeletons. Probably stupider than zombies, too. I could control any of the undead under me directly as though it were an extra limb. That was how I walked Zombie Jim with the explosive amulets in the cave. However, I could only do this one at a time. Otherwise, they'd need to be directed through words or simple directions.

I directed the Shadow to hide in my own shadow, and it darted into it, disappearing. Without some way to detect the undead, the only clue there was anything amiss was my shadow appeared extra dark. It was a very good tactic to ambush someone, and Meril's mom always had a couple of Shadows living in her shadow just in case someone got the drop on her.

There weren't a lot of wards that I could cast, but I could cast Alarm, so I went around the exterior of the courtyard and one of the buildings casting it, picking the building on the north side of the courtyard on a whim. Before I laid down to rest, I cast three instances of Unseen Servant and ordered them to clean the building, starting with the room I had chosen for my bedroom and working outwards. They wouldn't get finished before they vanished, but they'd make good headway, and I could repeat it tomorrow.

I didn't lay down to sleep right away, though. Now that I was somewhat guarded, I sat, meditated, and duplicated what Merildwen had been doing in the forest back on Earth. I used the Mental Palace technique to begin committing every book I read as a spirit into memory. My memory from then was still as sharp as ever, but it might not remain so, and I may never see any of those books again. Unless I reunited with Meril's parents, they might be my only hope to continue my path as a Wizard.

They didn't have spells from all schools, but there were quite a few of them up to what I would consider level seven, along with an entire book on Clone, which was a level eight. I wouldn't be able to understand either for years, I was sure, but I would seriously regret it if I wasn't able to study them later because I didn't make the effort now.

I spent a good three hours doing this, and I hadn't completed more than ten per cent of it, but I finally couldn't continue any longer. I was both getting tired and started to get a splitting headache from the mental exertion. I laid down on the surprisingly comfortable goose-down bed, and my last thought before I fell asleep was that I hoped nothing attempted to murder me in the middle of the night.

Xianxia wizardry crossovers are such an underused genre. Great start, looking forward to more! Wasn't expecting the double-isekai, though. :V

Now, since Meril is a future edgy ghost cultivator, she's morally obligated to collect harem members to abandon all over the place.

Knocking on Hell's door
I dreamt of tentacles and of the woods that wend with a thousand young.

I snapped awake, drenched with sweat and hoarse from screaming and flailing my arms. Panting, I sat there in bed for a while before shaking my head. To call those dreams a nightmare was like calling World War One a small misunderstanding.

Still, there was something different about me now. That should have rendered me a complete wreck, but already I was feeling calm again. It didn't help me at all in the midst of the nightmare or if I was foolish enough to attempt to remember my pet goat, but I had a new and remarkable resilience to what might make another person gibbering mad. I didn't know what to think about it, nor did I know the origin of it, but I couldn't say it wasn't better to have than not.

But had it changed my personality? Perhaps, in fact, I thought it had, but so had ingesting the entire memory of a twenty-something elf woman.

Shrugging, I stood up and found my clothes. Cleaning them with magic, I went downstairs and pumped out some water from the well in the middle of the courtyard. I had to pump continuously for a good fifteen minutes before the water ran clean, but after that, I used it to clean off before getting dressed.

The chill was less now that the sun was out, and I didn't mean the temperature. The odd coldness of the magic was lessened during the day, and things were a little less odd around here. The fog was gone, as was the surreal feeling.

I sat down and cast Unseen Servant several times again and ordered them to clean the courtyard while I had a skeleton go out and drag back two more bodies. I didn't actually know the spell Flay, so I would continue to use my wand to demeat my future Skeletons. It was a lot easier and less messy than trying to do so on my own.

Perhaps, over time, I would deduce how Flay worked and recreate it, but for now, I wasn't particularly upset about my two-cast-a-day limit. All other things being equal, more skeletons were better than fewer skeletons, but I really didn't want to butcher and debone two dozen zombies. I didn't even think I had a sharp enough implement not to make a mess of it, honestly.

This time, one of the skeletons had a broken femur, so I carefully sat all the pieces together and used the Mending cantrip several times until it was all better. If that hadn't worked, then I could have used some first-level Necromancy spells that could "heal" the dead. They were mostly only useful for those practising Mortuary Science and needed a way to make someone presentable for an open-casket funeral. They were Mend Bone and Seal Wounds. They weren't very practical, otherwise, because they only worked on the dead and not the undead.

If I wanted a zombie that looked more or less like a living person, I could use them, though. Combined with the cantrip Death Aura to halt the decay process, you could almost get a zombie that didn't stink too much. You'd have to recast Death Aura quite often, though. Death Aura was a popular cantrip that even non-magical people liked learning for its utility.

Not only could it work on food, causing rations to last a lot longer as it killed all the bacteria, but it was strong enough to kill small flying insects like mosquitoes. You could keep it cast as long as you concentrated, and small flying insects would immediately die if they got close to you. Merildwen's memories suggested that it was almost a required cantrip for adventurers in some swampy areas.

From my perspective, if this skeleton's femur had been crushed to splinters, I could have used Mend Bone to fix it. However, since the fractures were just small, I could use the normal Mending cantrip on bones, which was quite nice.

Proper maintenance on your skeletons was important, after all.

It took an hour and a half to animate the two new members of my skellie gang, as well as to refresh the control spells of my two existing skeletons and my shadow. Timing was very important to a necromancer because if I forgot to refresh these spells, all of my minions would immediately try to murder me, so while they lasted a full twenty-four hours, I decided to recast them twice a day—once in the morning and once in the evening. I was already faster than yesterday, so it was good practice in any event.

I spent the rest of the day investigating the village I found myself in. I collected all the bodies and anything of value, including some tools and a lot of clothes. Some of which was what the zombies were wearing, but a fair amount was inside the dozen or so houses in the small village. Most were, of course, poor-quality weave and probably not valuable, but a few outfits in the large building I had co-opted were made of nice silks, but all of them were soiled, ripped and damaged. It was kind of a theme about this village.

Still, it was nothing a few casts of Mending couldn't solve, for the most part.

The next day, I continued exploring the village and started walking with my squad of six skeletons in the nearby forest.

Although Mr. Ghost had some unfortunate limitations, namely his time limit, he had other abilities that made him a lot more useful than a standard familiar. For one, he was a ghost. I didn't know if he followed the Monster Manual, but if he was close, then he was a Challenge Rating five monster, and that came with a lot of abilities. He refused to possess people for me, not that there were any people around to possess in the first place, but he could fly remarkably fast.

I needed to know more about where I was and what was nearby. I had a few weeks of food, but after that, I would need to either start hunting game in the forest or find civilisation. I wasn't really in that much of a hurry to find any civilisation. I didn't speak the language and could only even understand it at one-hour intervals.

"Today, go as high as you can and go straight north for your full duration. Make sure to pay good attention to everything you see. Tomorrow, you'll tell me anything interesting, and then you'll repeat the process going east," I told the ghost my plan, who seemed a little surprised at my idea.

I already had him expand outwards from the village in a spiral pattern, having him tell me everything he saw. I suppose he expected me to continue that, except it would take too long. It was fine enough that I knew what dangers were around the village that I might run into. Now, I needed to know some things to create some longer-term plans.

Hunting with a squad of a dozen or so skeletons was a bit difficult. I could move quietly, but they weren't up to it. So we basically could only take game that wasn't afraid of us. Large, poisonous snakes the size of giant anacondas had been the most common animal that I could easily take down and was still tasty enough to eat.

I felt good that for once, rather than the experience of studying magic for twenty-five years, what was more useful was my experience as a tween with a varmint rifle in the hills of West Virginia. Meril didn't know how to butcher a snake and eat it, but I sure did. Bigger snek was still snek.

There were quite a few giant spiders that wandered out of their territory and a few large cats. The latter were the most dangerous as they seemed to ignore the skellies and pounce at me with some stealth, especially from the high branches. Seeing one leaping at your throat in mid-air certainly got the juices flowing. Having it maul your arm before being put down was a bit traumatising, too. I had to use one of my limited supplies of about a dozen healing potions for that wound.

The cats and sneks tasted pretty good, especially with Prestidigitation to flavour the meat in something close to a nice BBQ rub. However, no amount of castings did anything to make the spider legs palatable. There were limits to magic, apparently, and I had found one.

I wasn't out hunting today, though. I was currently doing my best to backtrack to where I originated in this world. I had left a half dozen useful weapons on the ground because they wouldn't fit in my hammerspace, and they were too useful for me right now to ignore. My squad of skellies were armed with the most formidable weapon I had access to: long sticks. One had a hammer, and one had my bow. I was able to continually repair the arrows with Mending, being lucky enough that the shafts hadn't utterly splintered to bits yet, but that was it.

This was one of the classic limitations to low-level Necromancers whenever someone tried to play them, namely equipping all of your skeletons.

I had animated all of the village by now, and I had quickened the time it took me to cast the spell quite a lot. It took me about forty-five minutes each morning to go through the spell five times and the same in the evening when I went to sleep.

That was good progress. My nightmares, however, remained a serious problem. However, I no longer woke up screaming. But... I had a bit of a problem falling asleep, though, knowing what was waiting for me, so my eyes were a bit haggard, and I took small naps during the day. If I slept for only an hour or so, I wouldn't dream at all.

It got to the point where I was quite concerned I would get so sleep-deprived that I might sleep through recasting Animate Dead and Chain Spirit and have the skellies or shadow murder me in my sleep. The latter, especially, wanted to, and it was very close to me at all times. I suppose I could put it in the amulet at night and lock my door in the bedroom, but staying close to spirits was one way to increase my affinity to necromancy, and it was also a last line of defence if someone snuck into the village, bypassed my alarm wards and attacked me in my sleep. As such, I took different precautions.

I used the second-level Illusion spell Magic Mouth to create something akin to an alarm clock. That spell allowed you to record a message, but most importantly, it allowed you to set conditions about when the recording would play. It also lasted forever, until it was dispelled or until the object it was cast on was destroyed.

The conditions could be quite convoluted, to the point where I thought a smarter person might even be able to make an eight-bit computer utilising thousands and thousands of castings, like using Redstone in Minecraft. However, in my case, I just had it tell me loudly to wake up every twelve hours. I cast it on a small wooden disk that I had found, and I would immediately put it away in my hammerspace when I woke up.

I had already discovered that time didn't seem to pass inside there due to meals staying warm, so it amounted to a twelve-hour timer every time I took it out.

The nightmares were getting better, though. I wasn't sure if I could consider them less severe each day or if I was just getting used to it, but each day was a bit easier than the last. Still, it would be really nice to find something to help me with them.

I frowned, coming out of my reverie and immediately leapt and rolled to the side as a pair of giant spiders landed in the location I was previously in. They looked at least twice as big as the usual variety, which caused me to pause. I decided to cast Mirror Image immediately, and three illusory versions of myself stepped out of my body.

At the same time, the skellies turned and started to attack the spiders. One was restrained right away, while the other leapt at me like a pouncing cat, attempting to bowl me over and flew through one of my illusory copies, tumbling into the tall trunk of a tree with a loud thud, shaking some branches enough that a few leaves started to slowly float to the ground.

The force of that pounce was alarming; it likely would have broken some bones.

I held out my hand and cast Ray of Frost, striking it head-on. I had noticed that both my necromantic spells and, surprisingly, my ice evocations were extra effective in this world. I could cast Ray of Frost for half the effort, and it was twice as effective, while the opposite was true with Fire Bolt.

Other evocation cantrips like Shocking Grasp seemed to be slightly less effective than I would expect them to be, but nothing as bad as Fire Bolt. I didn't know why this happened, but I was pleased with it. It made casting all of my necromantic spells quicker and more effective, and that was my main strength.

Ray of Frost was becoming my favourite cantrip since it seemed excessively powerful when I cast it. It lashed out with a hissing noise, striking the spider directly on its carapace, freezing it to the tree!

Granted, not for long. The monster just had to exercise its Peter Parker strength to crunch the ice and get free, but in that time, my one skellie archer had put two arrows into him, and I followed up with Toll the Dead, killing it.

That was my main combo with these giant spiders, Ray of Frost and then Toll the Dead. The latter did a lot more damage, too, and it did even more if the enemy was already hurt a little. Those two would kill a regular giant spider, but this was the first time I had seen these extra-large versions. They appeared to be somewhat intelligent, or at least they had an animal's cunning. They knew to target me, rather than the smaller ones that just threw themselves at my skellies.

That didn't bode well. I knew from Mr. Ghost that we were barely on the perimeter of the spider territory, so I wondered if they got progressively stronger as you approached the centre, like a video game. Maybe with giant sapient Spider Queens at the end, who would suck all your juices? I didn't want to find out.

It took the better part of the morning to find the gear, and it was guarded by two more of those super spiders as well as three of the regular variety. I held back this time and let my skellies take the brunt of the fight. Only when the two giant spiders were more or less committed did I come in and start slinging spells.

My caution caused four of my skeletons to cross from being undead to being just dead, though, but I thought it was worth it. I could bring their bones back with me and re-animate them after we got back to my base. The entire purpose of my skeletons was to protect me, after all. Knowing when to throw them away was a vital part of being a Nec, I thought.

I dumped all of their bones into a large bag I had found in the village and had one of the other skeletons take it while the rest grabbed all the stuff I left behind. There were four swords and two spears. I would have loved a dozen spears, as, really, the skeletons weren't that great in terms of their technique, but it was hard to beat a ton of spears trying to poke you to death.

That said, I would take what I could get. The rest I took back were a half dozen books from the vault that I had already committed to memory. Not very useful, but not useless either. There was a level two transmutation spell that I couldn't quite cast that could totally blank an entire book, so I could practice it and get a book to write in or to sell.

If I was going to be a Necromancer experimenting with dark things beyond mortal ken and best left forgotten, then I had to have journals and lab notes! I just needed to find some pens and ink next!

Cackling quietly, I led my band of jolly skellies back to base.

Or, at least, I would have if something hadn't caused me to feel unease right as I saw the village. I paused, frowning, trying to identify what was wrong.

I stood there motionless for a moment before I could figure it out. There was movement in the village. I summoned Mr Ghost, "Please look around the village without being seen, and return to tell me what is going on."

He nodded and vanished, presumably into the ethereal plane or whatever this plane called it, and I waited patiently, half-hidden behind a tree. Casting Comprehend Language using one of my spell slots, I then waited for him to return. Ten minutes later or so, he returned, appearing right in front of me and tilted his head to the side, "It looks like a regular village, Miss. There are about twenty to thirty villagers going about their everyday business."

I frowned... had I gotten lost? No, I didn't think so. I recognised the large courtyard-style building I had been holding up in. I said, "How interesting..."

I didn't want to waste another first-level spell slot, so instead, I brought out everything I needed to cast Detect Magic and looked at the village again. It was absolutely covered in chilly necromantic blues and the tell-tale rainbow of illusory spells.

The colours looked a little different than I was used to. The necromantic blues were different, and the rainbow hues were darker, but I didn't think that this world used the same type of magic that I did, but it was definitely close enough that Detect Magic worked.

I tapped my fingers on the bark of the tree I was concealing myself behind and considered. I had found the corpses of twenty-five villagers when I arrived here. Twenty-five zombie villagers. That they had been undead was indisputable.

Mr. Ghost asked, "I'm pretty sure it's the same village, though. A lot of your things were still in the large courtyard. The place is also draped with strong yin qi and possible illusory formations. A mystery. Are you going to try to communicate with them?" He seemed curious.

"Fuck no," I murmured. I could guess how this would go. They would be welcoming despite the communications issues and invite me in. Perhaps serve me food. And then?

I had noticed that there was a cycle in this place. What Mr. Ghost called "yin qi" I considered pretty comfortable, so I noticed its ebbs and flows. It was strongest at night. And I noticed that the energy seemed to be a little stronger each night than the previous one. And as soon as the sun fell, I suspected these "villagers" would reveal themselves to be some type of zombie and tear me to pieces.

I gave Mr. Ghost my theory and asked him if anything like this happened naturally in this world. Monsters and undead could appear from almost nothing, but seeing an entire village spring up from nothing was weird. He tried to look sympathetic, but it came off fake and said, "I really can't say."

"That is bullshit. Tixit was capable of answering general questions about the prime material, and for things that he didn't know, he could give me some of the collected wisdom of all the devil's above his chain of command, all the way up to the fucking Archdevil in charge of his particular layer of Hell. I had significant credit for these types of questions banked, so you should be able to fucking answer my question. Now, you will answer me, or I will consider Judge Wu in breach of contract, at least for the familiar clause," I hissed out, finally so annoyed that I snapped, simultaneously causing a full handful of ghost dust to appear in my hand, secretly.

Honestly, I didn't know how to bring up legal action against a theoretic ghost in the netherworld, but I would fucking figure it out if this motherfucker didn't get with the program. He had been irritating me for days with his simpering refusal to provide much assistance at all. I was really close to changing him in for a crow. Now that I wasn't hanging as much on death's door as I had been the first day, I was just about done with this asshole.

Mr. Ghost's facial expression immediately shifted from inauthentic sympathy to shock, and he frowned, looking a little uneasy. Finally, he said, with a sigh, "Look, there is no need to get anyone else involved, Miss. Fine. That village is likely a semi-naturally occurring well of yin energy. They're considered anomalies, and it is pretty much exactly what you suspected."

"So nobody raised those villagers from the dead?" I asked, curious.

He shook his head, then paused and then said, "Well, I don't know. Maybe the first time. But it's also as likely that they turned that way due to exposure to the yin energy. That you survived even several hours in there is shocking, much less a week." I gripped my hand tightly, almost drawing blood with my long nails that had somehow survived without breaking yet. This motherfucker hadn't thought that was a good thing for me to know? Was he trying to get me killed?

He continued, "The fact that they reappear periodically has more to do with time being locally unstable. Really, that village is close to a small world that gets reset to a past point in time once the yin qi builds up to a certain level." He then narrowed his eyes at me and asked, "Is that sufficient, Miss?"

I wanted to just dismiss him, but asked, "Clarify. Small world. Do you mean a demi-plane?"

He frowned, considering it, before nodding, "Yes. You should notice as you pass the barrier. It's likely that you'd find it more difficult to leave that place now as its natural illusory formations are active again."

I nodded decisively, "Now that is sufficient. I never want to see you again." And with that, I dismissed him permanently. I saw his face wince as the familiar bond snapped like a rope under excessive tension.

I hissed and shook my head. I had a light headache, too, but it was quickly fading. Perhaps that had been short-sighted, but I honestly had started to get the opinion that he was trying to get me killed while acting within the limits of being a familiar.

The first few days, he had been helpful, but it had just gone downhill from there. I had attempted to interrogate him about the plane, but he had refused. I had let it go, not wanting to alienate the only sapient entity around, despite knowing I should be able to get some information, but I had snapped when he refused information that could be life and death to me.

I had been slowly coming to the conclusion that he thought I was an interesting distraction at first, but he felt I was going to die in the first few days and was getting increasingly annoyed that I clung to life or even thrived. Perhaps I was taking him away from all the ghost women, or his weekly canasta game, or something. I didn't know, but I had enough of it. The fact that he neglected to tell me that he thought I would die if I stayed in the village longer than a few hours was the final straw.

After I took care of these undead squatters in my base, I would find myself a good cat or crow. Maybe an owl, like Harry Potter!

I withdrew a good hundred metres back into the forest in case one of the "villagers" saw me. I didn't know how they worked. They might be aware that they were undead, or they might not. Either case, I didn't want them to see me.

For a moment, I just considered leaving. I sort of knew which direction to go to get to the nearest road that seemed well-travelled, but it was barely visible two hours of Mr. Ghost flying to the northwest. He did fly pretty fast, so I suspected it might take me days to reach there, then god knows how long to find civilisation from there.

No. I was comfortable here. The fact that all of the zombies had already been killed when I arrived tended to make me believe that this location was periodically culled. The fact that my stuff still existed in the courtyard and all twenty-five villagers meant that this wasn't as simple as going back in time—as I had at least twelve of their skeletons here.

I frowned. Could this be farmed like a dungeon, like in Danmachi? Where did the extra mass come from? How much "yin qi" equalled one gram of generated mass? Well, who knew? It might be conjured from any number of planes if it was like Merildwen's world, some of which were infinite. Expecting a fantasy world to follow the conservation of energy was stupid of me in the first place.

Could I use this place to ... farm skeletons? As well as whatever goodies that existed in this village before it was ransacked? Well, it was worth a try.

I dumped out the dead skeletons' bones from the sacks and sat about mending them before re-animating them again, getting back to full strength.

I wish I had brought my whole platoon, but I didn't think it was necessary. Now, they were probably dead or something. I couldn't feel any connection to them, but I wasn't quite in range to do so. But I wasn't optimistic. I felt it likely that they might have been considered part of the villagers' bodies and reintegrated or something, that or all of the villagers swarmed them.

I sat down on the soft soil of the forest and waited for the sun to set, studying some books in my Mental Palace while I waited.

I could tell not so much from the sun disappearing over the horizon, which wasn't visible in the forest, but from the feeling of the magic in the air. As if a switch was thrown, things got weirder. I had been used to the change for at least a week, but I hadn't quite put things together. I just thought the whole world was like this, as I tried not to be far from the village when the sunset.

That could have been a disaster if it did work that way, and my skellies just vanished when the villagers returned. If I had been in the village and I suddenly lost all of my skeletons?! I let out a breath of air, shaking my head and stood up and my squad and I set out.

Before I left, I cast Detect Magic one more time as a ritual but didn't bother recasting Comprehend Language. The time for talkin' was over, I felt. We approached the village from near the large courtyard building. I figured it was the mayor's house or whatever the local hegemon was called.

Surprisingly, we were able to get rather close before a zombie noticed us. I didn't know if he was a guard precisely, but he was armed with a sword and challenged us, or perhaps he was just shuffling towards us. I peered at him, testing his aura and sniffing.

No doubt that he was a zombie. I waved at him and casually shifted my wave into the somatic component for Ice Knife while quickly closing my hand around the drop of water I had dropped into my other palm earlier. I had been making progress with my evocations. I could now cast another first-level one besides Magic Missile. I think it helped a lot that it was ice-based, as I had a real talent for that type of magic, it seemed.

It was still just level one, but it seemed to have the firepower of a level two spell, so it was now my go-to artillery spell. Instantly, a "knife" the size of a claymore sword formed next to my outstretched hand and then shot out like a bullet, accurately striking the undead man in the chest with explosive force. He let out a keening scream before falling over, dead.

Nice. I had a few more of those in me, too. Now, I let my skeletons advance ahead of me, with two behind me to guard my back.

The "man" looked like he had been dead for some time. And now the keening could be heard all over the village. I thought, 'Ah, we aggroed them.'

Two more zombies shambled pretty quickly out of one of the buildings and rushed us. My two skeletons with spears held them off while I alternated between Ray of Frost and Eldritch Blast, and the other skeletons harried them. Toll the Dead didn't work too well on the undead, and neither did Ray of Frost, honestly, so I mostly used that to slow the enemies down while blasting force with the definitive Warlock cantrip.

We got over halfway through the village that way, not having lost more than one skeleton before everything went quiet, and I paused.

Then I heard a roar, and it seemed like the rest of the village, twelve zombies, rushed us, along with a hugely fat zombie that I didn't quite remember. I would have remembered Flaying this one for sure.

My skeletons closed ranks, and I cast three more Ice Knives at the horde, causing some area damage, killing three of the zombies and incapacitating two more with the explosions. The fat zombie roared and bashed a skeleton out of the way, causing it to fly a good ten metres into the air, tumbling end over in a ballistic parabola, its spear hitting the ground with a clank behind me, which made my eyes widen in shock.

What the fuck?! I backed up, casting a quick Ray of Frost at its legs to slow it down. This zom was way stronger than the others, at least from physical strength alone. I ordered my men to swarm him while I backed up.

Fortunately for me, he seemed to aggro on my skeletons, but two of the other zombies did not. I kept backing up and almost tripped over the spear that the flying skeleton had been holding when the fat zom bashed him into the air. I quickly reached down to grab it, using it to attempt to hold off the two zombies bearing down on me as I repeatedly cast Eldritch Blast.

The fat zom was going down, but every time he struck out, a skeleton was eradicated. He punched a skeleton in the head, and its fucking skull exploded into powder. Seeing it, I almost cast Invisibility and ran away in fright!

Instead, I saw an opportunity and thrust wildly with the spear instead of casting a spell, and I caught one of the two zombies harrying me in the eye. I tried putting my weight behind it, and the spear came out the other side of his head.

I winced as the second zombie swiped at me with fingers that were closer to claws, drawing blood from my arm and ripping my robe. Not stopping, he enveloped me with both hands, grabbing and lifting me into the air, looking like he wanted to take a bite out of my face.

I opened my eyes in shock. The Shadow that lived in my shadow darted out and wrapped itself around the zombie, but they had very limited utility against other undead. However, I had a sudden idea and held my free hand over the zombie's head and summoned the thick iron barrel of ghost dust from my hammerspace. The barrel only held maybe three litres of the stuff, but I really thought that this crap might be made of uranium because it was heavy! It only fell thirty centimetres, but it brained the zombie good, causing it to drop me. I shoved my hand towards the undead's face and, at the last moment, summoned my Flay wand, triggering it after I shoved the wand into the zombie's eye.

His head exploded grossly, and the zombie fell over dead, with my wand still sticking out of his orbital socket. I panted and looked around for any others but was relieved that I couldn't find any.

Only two of my skeletons were still operational, and one was missing an arm, but the super-zombie and all the rest were dead at their feet. I quickly counted all of the downed zombies and nodded. Theoretically, that should be all of them, but I needed to get my skeletons swiftly repaired just in case I was wrong.

"Okay, that was a lot more perilous than I thought," I said to myself as I held my injured arm. It wasn't bleeding a lot, and I'd rather not waste one of my precious and possibly irreplaceable healing potions on a small injury, but glancing at the wound, I winced. I triggered Death Aura, kept it running and hoped that it would kill all of whatever zombie germs on the wound before I caught a disease. I didn't have any potions or scrolls of Remove Disease at all, so that would be a real problem.

"Come back, Chad," I mumbled, and Chad the Shadow slinked around me and disappeared into my shadow again. I then walked over and peered at the super-zombie, frowning. I hadn't expected some kind of... boss fight. And how the fuck was that guy so strong? That one zombie took down half of the skeletons by itself.

Sighing, I walked around and moved dead zombies and piles of bones out of the way. I would need an open space for a new Animate Dead ritual circle. I was totally tapped as far as spells were concerned, with only one second-level spell left, which I kept for an emergency casting of Invisibility in case I was about to be killed. I only had cantrips left, which proved a lot less effective on the undead than on spiders and sneks.

An hour later, I had six skeletons repaired, armed to the teeth. Due to the super zom, some skeletons could not be repaired. I couldn't use Mend Bone to fix a skull if the skull was reduced to powder, and that happened three times. The rest might be able to come back with some repairs, but I was going with speed right now, putting a skull from a tiny woman on a giant man's body and more. I just needed a few guards.

I glanced down at the dead super zom and shook my head, holding out my Flay wand. I cast the spell and took two steps back as all of his meat just peeled off of his bones like a mandarin orange.

I carefully fished his bones out, and they did indeed look different. In fact, they felt a lot stronger than regular bones. I was wondering if this guy would make a better skeleton.

When I pulled his ribs out, I found something interesting. It was something like a stone sphere, ice cold to the touch. I didn't even need Detect Magic to realise it was full of an incredibly cold, necromantic energy.

I frowned. Were these in all of the zombies all along? Because this seemed useful, even if I didn't know a use for it right now. Things full of magic were rarely useless, but they could be dangerous, so I decided to isolate it in my hammerspace for now.

When I raised the super-zom's bones into a skeleton, he had a darker look to him and seemed a hair smarter and stronger even—a little better with the sword I gave him, which would be awesome!

The durability of his bones was the best thing, though. They were at least three times as strong as a normal person's bones.

I stared at the new skeleton and said, "Okay, you're Big Chungus." I'd take silence for assent; on that basis, it seemed to love its new name!

I popped my knuckles and grinned, "Time to search for loot!" Already, I knew this place looked a bit different than usual. For one, about half of the zombies had been... well, I wouldn't say armed. But they had weapons, even if they didn't use them. It kind of made me want to approach the village during the day to see if they were, as I suspected, sapient. It was possible to use a spirit as a type of artificial intelligence, but they didn't have much creativity and would generally not pass an in-depth Turing Test. If things were different here, it would be a very interesting thing to study.

I picked night because I didn't think they'd let me approach with a dozen skeletons, and the night around here felt better for me. It might be the same with the zombies. I wouldn't be surprised if they were stronger at night, either, but I thought it was still the correct choice. I could have done a better job at kiting the large mass of zombies during the last battle, though.

"Come, BC," I said, and we set off to thoroughly explore the village.

Surprisingly, there was a lot of loot. A lot of the weapons were broken, dull or both, but they were mostly clean breaks that I could use Mending to fix, and I knew at least enough how to sharpen a blade. One of the houses had been a blacksmith, or perhaps just the village handyman, and the house still had some of its tools this time.

I was assuming Big Chungus was the mayor, given that he was both fat and wearing silks and his house, which I had been squatting in, had a number of interesting things as well. Five books, which I was really glad to see. I used Comprehend Language immediately and looked through them. Three of them were erotica, which was a bit disappointing. One was a history, which would be useful. The last was a thick tome that had been written by a scribe and was titled "Five Phases Method."

I had to read the first few pages a few times because it was a little confusing even with my ability to understand any language, but it billed itself as a magic technique to allow a person to grasp Qi, the energy of heaven and earth, allowing them to strengthen their body, mind and even soul.

My first thought was to throw it away. It sounded like how one would Multiclass into a Monk, and the idea of a Wizard/Monk was ridiculous. However, I paused. I kept having to remind myself that this wasn't a game. There were no stat point limits. Just because I worked out to make myself stronger didn't mean I would make myself stupider, like the way a regular character sheet would work.

While it was true that I only had so many hours in the day, and anything I spent on this could also be used to learn spells I couldn't cast, I had already intended to work out a little more. Lift a few weights and run for cardio.

Also, something about what the text said kept having me re-read it. It was written in rather flowery language, but it basically claimed that if you could grow this Qi in your body, it would strengthen your mind to the extent that you wouldn't have unnatural fears or nightmares. It also said that it would make you significantly smarter, or at least you could think and react a lot faster.

That was very tempting. But how did this work? Comprehend Language only lasted an hour at a go; it would take me days and days to read this thing, especially if I had to keep re-reading areas.

The next week passed more or less how I expected it would, with me repeatedly casting Comprehend Language to read areas of the Five Phases Method. Reading it over and over, I realised that one didn't grow Qi but "cultivated" it. The nuance was a bit different, but I felt it was important.

Cultivating qi wasn't quite what I thought, either. I was the internal energy that Kung Fu masters were said to have, but this was allegedly on a level higher than that. Things moved a lot more quickly when I decided to just call it Chinese magic instead of something from Kung Fu or something that Monks in Merildwen's life did.

I mean, I could see the Qi with Detect Magic, and I could feel it with my magical senses, so it was magic. That made things a lot easier to understand, even if the explanations in the book were a lot more philosophic and esoteric.

It was said that it would take six months of meditation to get to the point where you could feel and perceive the "energy of heaven and earth." Especially gifted individuals could do it in three, but if you still couldn't do it within nine to twelve months, then you "had no fate as a cultivator."

However, if it was just magic, then I could already feel it. Learning to feel magic was also the hardest part of studying Wizardry at first, but I felt that budding Wizards had a lot better ways to do so. The Five Phase Method suggests that you should meditate on the energy of heaven and earth continually until you succeed.

That sounded pretty fucking hard to me! There was a certain amount of meditation in the early parts of wizardry, too. However, the standard way to get a new Apprentice aware of magic was to place him or her in a magic circle that isolated all outside energy so that it was completely calm and then use a magical device that did nothing but emit magical energy. Really high-quality ones could detect your heartbeat, and it would move and agitate the magical energy in time to your heartbeat.

It only took maybe a week. A month at most, and you didn't have to sit there navel-gazing while you did it. You could study. Eventually, you would feel it; it was basically guaranteed unless you were a total magical null. Once you could feel it, it wasn't hard to move to manipulate it. From that point, wizardry became much more of an intellectual discipline. Lots of reading books, trying spells and testing them out. Experimentation, like scientists.

If it was any harder than this, then magic would be a lot harder to do, and there would be no Arcane Tricksters or Spellblades.

However, wizards didn't purposefully accumulate, drawing magical energy in their bodies systematically; in fact, it was generally considered insane. It would have been like me trying to bulk up in my past life by sitting next to a hot nuclear fuel rod. Or swallowing gasoline because you want to run fast.

However, the Five Phase Method claimed to be a method by which such a thing was both possible and beneficial. It was also a prerequisite to casting any "spells." None of which were

Could I practice it, with already being a wizard? It was worth a try, I supposed.

One thing became quite clear early on, and it was something that caused me a lot of relief. I wouldn't be "surprised" when this village reset. As soon as I eliminated all of the zombies, I noticed a significant drop in the ambient magical energy level, and now that I was purposefully and systematically trying to absorb it in accordance with a weird Chinese magic manual, I realised that the baseline energy recovered a little bit every day.

It wasn't a steady amount every day, but on average, I thought it would take at least another week before it got to the same level I remembered just before the village reset.

That wouldn't surprise me, but I was still a little concerned other things would. The zombies had been dead when I arrived at the village the first time. Killed by swords and spears. And the village was looted. That means someone killed them. It occurred to me that this place might be periodically culled. I was pretty sure that the "yin" energy would continue to expand even after the village reset. Perhaps it would never stop. If so, wouldn't that be bad for the surrounding area? Beyond just using it to farm slightly useful things, it might be culled periodically to keep it from expanding.

Now that I wasn't worried about being surprised one way, I was worried about being surprised another. As such, I got myself a nice raven familiar that I had continually flying around. It had a little intelligence, enough to fly a way out and return and tell me if it saw people. That was as much as I could do now.

I also found the skeletons that I left behind in the village. They didn't vanish or reincorporate with the villagers, as I worried, but they had just looked like they dropped dead. It was as if something seriously interfered with the magic that kept them animated, so I was a bit concerned that if I was in the village when that happened, I would die a dog's death.

What was a Nec if all of her skeletons just dropped dead? Dead, that's what! Err, his. I still wasn't quite ready to totally adopt the identity of a woman. I was just being stubborn, though. I didn't expect to wake up someday and be back in my body in America.

Also, to be honest, ever since I was ripped out of my body and spent what seemed like a hundred years in the woods that wend before I found myself in "the frozen lands" with Meril's memories, I had an altered perspective on the subject.

So, it wasn't like I really cared that much anymore. I was just running on residual pride now.

Anyway, I had a pretty good way to detect when the village was about to reset. I even remembered a kind of vibration in the magic when I left the village that morning, so I was fairly confident I could decamp the village with my skeletons before I lost them.

Being snuck up by real people was something I was less confident about.

It turned out that I was short by a day. When I woke up, I felt the magic in the air vibrating as if it was trying to shake free of some shackles; I gathered up all of my skeletons and everything I couldn't bear to lose and decamped into the forest.

Big Chungus could one punch a large cat, so he formed the core of my personal protective detail, and I was looking forward to securing a Chungus the Second this morning as well. As far as other skeletons, well, I had already kind of hit the limit of what was comfortable for me to control.

I had reached the point where I could cast Animate Dead using a spell slot, so I supposed I could consider that I had levelled up to the equivalent of a level five Wizard, but that was the only spell I could thus cast. I was practising with Vampiric Touch, but the lack of living things around to practice was a bit of a roadblock. Since I had to cast it as a ritual while practising, I couldn't use it in combat, either.

Still, I could drain plants and also the odd large cat or other animal that I could have my skeletons knock out without instantly killing it, so I was pretty confident I would be able to work that into my spell list shortly.

"Cultivating" wasn't as intellectually stimulating as practising spells, at least at this level. I had captured my first whisp of Qi, though, but I was still months away from reaching what it called the first level of Qi Gathering. Until then, I wasn't even considered to be really cultivating, according to the book. I didn't really know what the fuck I was doing if it wasn't the thing I was trying to do, though, but I generally ignored the lofty and esoteric language in the manual—it was about a third of it.

With two dozen skeletons and Big Chungus, I felt very confident about quickly clearing this village.

In the aftermath of the battle, I was shocked to hear a mental *ting* that I immediately recognised as the alert built-in to a Sending spell. Words flowed into my head, and it was Meril's mom.

"Meril! Are you okay? It took us a day to get a Sending that would work. We're no longer in Borea. I think the teleportation circle was a bit off!"

You could only send about forty words using either Message or it's Big Brother Sending, so I wasn't expecting a large message. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything. It had been over three weeks. I had concluded that they had passed away or that communication was a lot more difficult than I originally thought. However, their message implied it had only been a day from their perspective.

I didn't have much time to reply, so I just sent what came to my head, "Mom, it has been over three weeks here. Not same plane. Not same prime material. Oriella sold contract. My plane running faster temporally? I'll work on Evocations. Try to master Sending."

Surprisingly, about an hour later I got another message from her, "Fuck! Pay off that debt as soon as possible. Oriella known quantity. New one not. We have no idea how to travel to different primes. We don't know how to come to you, or go back to Borea."

I replied, "Don't worry. I had been intending to go off on my own; this is just a bit ahead of schedule. At least we can stay in touch. Focus on your safety. I'll get my debt paid."

I sat down in one of the mayor's comfortable chairs and frowned, not sure how to feel. I had done a number of experiments to examine my soul in the past days, and I was pretty sure that Meril's parents wouldn't be able to tell unless they ripped my soul out of my body. You see, I was still surrounded by Merildwen's spirit.

Normally, when you pull out a soul, you pull it out along with the spirit. But, of course, Great Old Ones had to be special. It was like it had cored me and Meril like an apple. It was no wonder it was so excruciatingly painful, and also why it was so easy to "think" as Merildwen when I wanted to. As such, there was a part of me that was trying not to cry.

I shook my head and pushed that feeling away.

It had been something like three months or the way I was calculating time, seven Chungi. I continued as I had been, but every week or so I would share a quick message with Meril's parents, and I was surprised at how much I looked forward to each message. Enough that I was systematically practising my evocations, even the difficult fire ones.

I often didn't even loot much anymore when the village reset, except for a few things. The books I took as I could blank them and use them for notebooks. A couple of the swords were a cut above the rest, so I took them.

There was also an unusual flower in the mayor's courtyard. It was a completely white lotus that gave off a chilly energy. It was a bit different than the necromantic energy around everywhere that I was used to, and from my study of the Five Phases Manual, I decided to call this a "natural yin" type of energy, with the energy of undeath being a subset of yin.

I wasn't sure if that was right, I was making shit up as I went along, but I still attempted to replant the lotus every reset. I killed it the first two times despite significant herbology training that Meril's mother gave her, but now I had five of them that I tended to as potted plants.

Big Chungus' ice stone, I also always took. And that was it, basically.

And I found these ice stones to be very useful. At first, I thought it could be an incredible necromantic catalyst, but I hadn't figured out how to use it that way. But I had figured out how to use it to create longer-lasting spells, specifically illusions.

I could cast Major Image as a ritual, and if I used an ice stone in a key position in the ritual, then the illusion could last... well, I didn't think forever. But it had been weeks, and I hadn't noticed the ice stone being substantially depleted yet.

I used this to hide what was already a secret entrance to the mayor's basement. In life, it was something like a huge sex dungeon, but I used it to store supplies, most of the skeletons I didn't have actively animated and as a secret retreat in case people came. The Major Image illusion caused the already concealed entrance to be virtually impossible to find unless you could see through illusions.

To be honest, I wasn't sure why I remained here except to accumulate more Chungi. I suppose I didn't have anywhere else to be, and I was still making progress in both my studies and my "cultivation." I was officially a cultivator now, being in the first level of the Qi Gathering stage. What that meant was that I was stronger, faster, and my mind thought a bit faster than I did before.

That was expected, but it also seemed to help in my wizardry, so I thought it was a win-win. I had been worried that the accumulation and circulation of magical energy in my body would stunt my spells or perhaps make me explode, but if anything, it made each casting a tiny bit easier, a tiny bit smoother.

Sitting amongst a slaughtered village, I had the feeling that this wasn't a peaceful world, so I wasn't really that much in a hurry to be thrust into it.

However, I just learned from my raven familiar, which I had named Crow, that people were coming. I had quickly ushered most of my Chungi into the secret room, except one. I had a suspicion that these people were here to pacify the town, so I was going to give them a town full of monsters and expected loot to pacify.

They might be skeletons and not zombies, but who really cared? If I didn't do this, then they'd definitely send someone to investigate, eventually. Probably somebody strong who would find me hidden in the basement.

Even though I suspected they were doing this to keep this place safe, I could just bet what I was doing was considered the equivalent of illegal poaching.

Governments never changed. Resources, even if they weren't worth that much, could be attained here, so they'd hassle me if I didn't have a permit and pay taxes or whatever the local equivalent was.

Sighing, I realised that while I was content to hide myself from the world for now, the world was knocking at my door.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Western Fantasy in an Eastern Fantasy setting. Also, the fact that the guy is a nuclear physicist is also very exciting because the amount of prerequisite knowledge that is required to get the job is extremely useful.
Transmuted fusion nuclear warheads when? Cultivate This IONIZING RADIATION DICK-WEED!

Ah yes, Western Fantasy in an Eastern Fantasy setting. Also, the fact that the guy is a nuclear physicist is also very exciting because the amount of prerequisite knowledge that is required to get the job is extremely useful.
Transmuted fusion nuclear warheads when? Cultivate This IONIZING RADIATION DICK-WEED!
No fusion tho sadly, or non-cryonic superconductors or useful energy weaponry. She (they?) will have to rely on magic a lot which cant be scaled up as easily.
I mean I guess she could "easily" make an RTG for constant power without many issues, but Im pretty sure magic covers a lot of the uses of electricity at the scale she's operating at.

Last edited:
However, I just learned from my raven familiar, which I had named Crow, that people were coming. I had quickly ushered most of my Chungi into the secret room, except one. I had a suspicion that these people were here to pacify the town, so I was going to give them a town full of monsters and expected loot to pacify.

They might be skeletons and not zombies, but who really cared? If I didn't do this, then they'd definitely send someone to investigate, eventually. Probably somebody strong who would find me hidden in the basement.
Of course the loot they're most after is probably the chungus' qi core, and the flower in his courtyard.
So who knows how they'll react to him being a skeleton, and the flower potentially being gone.

Might be worth leaving afterwards and putting the raven on duty to watch for returnees or investigators.
On the other hand, this site is in some ways incredibly valuable, as a consistent source of cultivator bodies without sufficient watchers to notice that the MC's been killing the zombies and making servants out of them, if they want to find a similar opportunity they're going to need to find a battlefield somewhere, see if they can get discarded cultivator bones that way. And that doesn't mean anywhere else will be as good a source of weapons.
And maybe they'll think nothing of the oddities the MC has caused here, or if this is one of the more 'sink or swim' groups/sects, the youth failing to get the expected loot, or even all dying on a minor adventure, may be considered irrelevant, and not worth their seniors' notice.
If the MC gets that impression, they may have reason to consider ambushing an expedition.

I suspect that that herbalism training may be more valuable than they realize, because a lot of the time magic plants in Xianxia can't be moved, if it were possible to move the ones that only bloom once in some incredibly uncommon period, cultivators would do so constantly.

Next thought, their ability to get information out of the dead, or potentially return them to life(if and when they figure out raise dead), may very well be a useful way to get cultivation secrets.

Also, I've been looking, but my familiarity with it isn't great, is there any spell for creating nonmagical gear in DnD?
Or an ability to create a magical item that boosts your undeads' ability to craft?
Or just a specialized type of undead that's good at crafting?
I've been thinking of skeletons with guns, to take advantage of knowledge from reality. If they're not particularly skilled it'd be a good weapon for them.
If cultivator skeletons get stronger give them bigger guns.

While clone is pretty damned amazing for acting as you please in a Xianxia setting, it may well be ages before she works that out.
Before that point there are concerns to work with like working out how to cut deals with cultivators without being cheated, what exactly they'd want to sell them as an outsider to the sects, whether they'd want to join a sect, and the consideration that their broader knowledge may have many applications to teaching students of their own.(the point of having apprentices is so you can pawn scut work off on them, and the point of building you own gang or sect is not looking like quite as much of a target)
And if it's possible to make the jump to having NPC numbers of undead under her control that'd be awfully useful.
I'm going to have to reread, but I'm not sure the section that mentioned that actually explained whether they were limited in that way.

It may also be worthwhile to send info on cultivation to their body's father, if what I'm remembering about them being into necromancy for the life extension is correct.

Last edited:
In the aftermath of the battle, I was shocked to hear a mental *ting* that I immediately recognised as the alert built-in to a Sending spell. Words flowed into my head, and it was Meril's mom.

"Meril! Are you okay? It took us a day to get a Sending that would work. We're no longer in Borea. I think the teleportation circle was a bit off!"

You could only send about forty words using either Message or it's Big Brother Sending, so I wasn't expecting a large message. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything. It had been over three weeks. I had concluded that they had passed away or that communication was a lot more difficult than I originally thought. However, their message implied it had only been a day from their perspective.

I didn't have much time to reply, so I just sent what came to my head, "Mom, it has been over three weeks here. Not same plane. Not same prime material. Oriella sold contract. My plane running faster temporally? I'll work on Evocations. Try to master Sending."

I sat down in one of the mayor's comfortable chairs and frowned, not sure how to feel. I had done a number of experiments to examine my soul in the past days, and I was pretty sure that Meril's parents wouldn't be able to tell unless they ripped my soul out of my body. You see, I was still surrounded by Merildwen's spirit.

Normally, when you pull out a soul, you pull it out along with the spirit. But, of course, Great Old Ones had to be special. It was like it had cored me and Meril like an apple. It was no wonder it was so excruciatingly painful, and also why it was so easy to "think" as Merildwen when I wanted to. As such, there was a part of me that was trying not to cry.
Here's a thought that I'm not sure is going to come up, but if the MC can learn Sending, the original inhabitor of this body can also learn Sending. And may be expected to contact her parents.
That might expose any deception.
A lot depends on what the flow of time on Earth is compared to here, which will influence who learns Sending first. Though in a vacuum I'd bet on qi-powers leading to learning Sending first.

It's even possible that the MC may choose to contact people from their life in America, tip them off about the original's plans for possible world conquest.
Or figure out how to send books across with something based on Sending that can handle far larger messages, and set up some kind of trilateral trade in magic books, Technological texts, and Qi manuals.

I mean, he isn't a possessing entity that killed their daughter, just one that she inadvertently swapped bodies with, so they may be willing to tolerate, or even grow to like them. Besides, he did save their lives, and he was just a random bystander that they pulled into all this, so if the situation is explained while they are in an entirely separate material plane, tempers should be able to cool down from the immediate "FIREBALL THE DEMON" reaction.

We hardly knew ya
I didn't have a long time before they arrived in the village, but from what my loyal raven's eyes could tell, they had paused at the edge of town and were consulting amongst themselves. I had two dozen well-armed skellies patrolling the town, and I was pretty sure that they had spotted them and were curious and cautious about this.

If this place was regularly culled, then they would know what to expect, and the fights didn't change here at all, at least not in the months I had been here. Seeing new enemies of a different type might cause them some hesitation, I was hoping. Twenty or so armed skeletons were a significantly higher threat than the zombie villagers, but only when acting together and with me to direct them.

Zombies were slower, but they were significantly tougher. If the skellies were on autopilot in drips and drabs, it should be an equivalent threat or even much lower.

The safest thing to do would be to hide in the basement until they were gone. Still, I didn't want to kill these people, so I wanted to observe their fight so I could cause the skellies to make a mistake in their favour if it looked like they were about to be murdered.

As such, I quickly cast Magic Aura on myself. This was an illusion spell that you normally cast on objects. It could either hide an object's magical nature or create a fake one on a mundane object. In this case, I was hiding my aura.

I had noticed that now that I had magic accumulating and circulating inside of me due to cultivation, small amounts tended to leak out a bit as if I were a magical creature like a fairy or unicorn. I would be noticeable, even if I was invisible if these people had some way to detect that—if they were "cultivators", that seemed highly possible.

The manual I had didn't really include any way to sense Qi except really close to your body, but I assumed that it was possible. It would be incredibly weird if it wasn't.

Another casting of Comprehend Language and Detect Magic followed by, finally, Invisibility when I saw that they were entering the village. Crow followed them and gave me a pretty good image. There were three men, two of them looked in their thirties and had the muscley thews of a Fighter class if I had any guess. They looked rugged and serious and weren't wearing kung-fu robes as I expected but outdoorsman-type clothing, including the conical hats I would expect from rice farmers.

The last was more of a young man, perhaps fifteen years of age. He was dressed more like what I expected and didn't look as rode hard and put away wet as the two older men. His eyes were pitch black, as was his hair, and he had a sword at his waist.

All of them had swords, actually, but the two older men had swords that were much larger and curved, almost like scimitar or falchion.

Seeing them with my eyes instead of my familiars, I noticed that the magic or Qi looked different in each of their bodies. The young man's magic looked similar to mine these days when I looked at myself with Detect Magic while cultivating. I took him for a cultivator, too, and the weight of his energy seemed a little bit stronger than mine, which would have made him pretty weak as I understood things.

The two older men didn't have a continually circulating pattern of energy. Instead, the energy seemed to wax and wane in time with their breathing, dissipating throughout their physical bodies. I didn't know what this was, but I could tell that they had a fair amount of energy accumulated in their muscles, bones and tendons.

I frowned. Would their bones be really strong, I wondered? I shook my head. Bad! I didn't need to know how strong these men's bones were because they were leaving with all of their bones!

At first, I thought the two men were guards for the young man, but they seemed to be working together. In fact, they were treating the younger man kind of like a junior. They had talked about their options and came to the conclusion that they would watch the skeleton's patrols and try to assault one alone to gauge its strength. They'd run if it was freakishly strong, as they already could tell they were faster than the undead.

Not a bad plan. I snuck around to watch in person, being careful not to make any noise.

Xiao Li had volunteered to test the first of these bone puppets, as he didn't want the two Martial Artists he was with to think he was weak. He had enough of that. He had been a cultivation prodigy of the Xiao family until inexplicably his cultivation dissipated slowly, like sand falling through his fingers.

When he dropped from the seventh back down to the first level of the Qi Gathering stage, he was no longer considered a genius. He was, instead, treash. And trash he had been for years.

He had all but been kicked out of the family and had been roaming the country, trying to study fleshy Martial Arts. He was shocked one day to discover an old lady's voice in his head one morning.

It turned out that the ring that his mother gave him as a keepsake contained the remnant soul of an incredibly powerful Nascent Soul powerhouse, and she had been, unconsciously, draining all of his Qi in order to reawaken. He had been incensed! Did this Old Grandma not know how much pain and suffering she caused?

In the end, he couldn't stay angry long, especially when she seemed genuinely upset about it and started helping him with his cultivation, sword skills, and alchemy. She had been a renowned alchemist when she was alive. If he was being honest, he was starved for the somewhat affectionate attention of an older person ever since his parents died, and he had already, in his heart, slid his new Master into almost a motherly role.

Instead of going back to the Xiao family right away, she told him that due to her draining so much of his Qi, he awakened a type of highly Yang physique that had been lying dormant in his body. This was both good and bad. It would let him get twice the results with only half the effort when he cultivated his Divine Solarfire Sutra that Grandma Mei gave him, but at the same time he might explode if he continued cultivating past the second level of Qi Gathering that he was at.

That was a real problem, but Grandma Mei had a number of solutions. It might be a real problem, but it wasn't a huge one, and she knew at least twelve types of pills that could solve it. That was the reason he had taken the job to clear this anomaly along with two Martial Artists he met at the Mercenary Guild. It was said that a Cool Yin Pseudo-Lotus bloomed in this place. A couple of petals pulled from the lotus would be enough for Grandma Mei to walk him through creating the pill, too!

You had to get there within a day or two of when the anomaly reset, so he wasn't that confident about it. If he was lucky, it would save a lot of time, but if not, then he'd just shift down the list while making some money at the same time.

This time, though, it seemed their luck was poor. Not only had they missed the reset, but there was a new type of monster here. Just skeletons with weapons. He supposed it wasn't that different than before, but it didn't pay to make assumptions.

Grandma Mei said inside his head, "Be especially careful. That raven is not a raven."

He glanced at an especially fat black bird sitting on the roof. He had noticed it sort of following them since they got within a few li of the village. He quirked his head and asked, "What is it, Master?"

"I think it is a tormented soul from one of the first few layers of Hell, shifted through some method into the illusion of a bird," she said confidently, "These skeletons don't seem very strong, but that isn't normal. You are definitely not ready to fight a ghost cultivator, living or dead. Leave at the first hint of something out of the ordinary."

Xiao Li paused, frowning. He wouldn't like to look forward to paying the penalty for abandoning this job, but he was smart enough not to place his head firmly in a lion's mouth. He asked, "Should I leave now?"

"I don't know. Surprisingly, I am not sensing any malice or killing intent directed towards you,"
Grandma said.

He nodded and pulled out his sword, saying aloud, "Well, let's see how one skeleton is, then."

He then leapt at a skeleton carrying a pretty standard saber as it turned the corner. The monster saw him and pulled its weapon into a low ready position and then, without preamble, chopped out.

He took the strike partially on his own weapon, intentionally testing the strength of the creature with a parry, frowning. It was both strong and weak. Its physical strength and speed were about the level of a Martial Warrior, the type of fighter that studied martial arts and "inner force" instead of cultivating immortality as he did.

Like his two new friends, but they were both already at the Martial Master stage. He had been proceeding down this path after becoming the trash of his family, but now that he could cultivate Qi again, he had stopped. All cultivators should study Martial Arts, but studying this type of inner force was a dead end if you had real cultivation methods—it would be like eating grass when you had perfectly good rice at home.

Something he also noticed was this skeleton's attainments in the Dao of the Saber were awful. He had seen a three-year-old conduct more elegant chops inside the kitchen versus a radish.

He twisted, beat the sabre back and riposted into a clean cut that took the skeleton's head clean off the next time it swung at him. Surprisingly, it still moved. Frowning, he chopped each limb off and only then did it stop moving.

Grandma Mei commented, "Sort of weak, but I think blunt force would work better here. I don't think it's actually dead even now. Try crushing its skull with your foot, or focus more qi into your sword next time. That might disrupt whatever is animating it."

As his two friends approached, chortling, he nodded and focused Qi into the sole of his foot and stomped down, crushing the skull into splinters. Old Gu slapped him across the back and said, "Seems at the same level as what we were expecting."

Xiao Li nodded, "Yes, let's just be careful. These can use weapons. The fat one at the level of a low-level demonic beast might be more dangerous, especially if it has some exotic weapon."

He had read the summary of what to expect in this place, and there was supposed to be a fat zombie at the same approximate level of strength he was at, but the truth was it was much less of a threat due to how stupid it was. While these skeletons weren't very bright, they did know that the pointy end of the sabre was supposed to go into the bad guy, and that was more than the zombies were supposed to know.

Old Gu nodded, "Don't worry. We'll take him together. Let's get going. We shouldn't stay here any longer than necessary." That was true. While his cultivation method and Grandma Mei both could protect him from the chilly yin aspected qi in this place, his two friends relied more on limiting their exposure to stay safe. They shouldn't tarry.

After that, they cleared the village just as they planned. The raven still watched them, but neither he nor Grandma Mei could detect any hugely dangerous cultivator waiting in the wings to refine their souls into a spirit tool. That was good.

Thankfully, the fat one... wait, how could a skeleton be fat? The stronger skeleton was easily identified. Its bones were as dark as cheap pig iron and almost as strong. They fought it in the courtyard of the village magistrate's house, and with the three of them together, it was no match. Realistically, he thought he could have taken it by himself.

Old Gu frowned down at the last finished skeleton, "Did he not have a core, then?" That would be a shame. The highly yin-charged monster core was one of the main reasons people took this job, along with salvaging the mostly useless and damaged weapons and tools for scrap iron.

Chen bisected the skeleton's skull with his sabre and grinned, "I thought so! I thought I heard something rattling around in there when it was moving." He reached down to pick it up. It was then that they all noticed that in the corner of the courtyard was a bright white lotus inside a pot, next to a few books—as if someone had just left them out for the three of them to find.

Chen asked, "Is that what I think it is?"

Old Gu said, "If you think it's the Cool Yin Lotus in a damn pot, then yes."

Xiao Li took a few steps forward, inspecting the items. It was incredibly difficult to salvage the entire plant of the Cool Yin Pseudo-Lotus without killing it. Although he had some hope with Grandma Mei to walk him through that he might be able to do it, he was just hoping to pull a few petals off before it died—that was what most people did and it was all the pill recipe required. The value of a live plant was at least ten, maybe twenty times as much.

He reached down to pick it up and heard Grandma Mei's voice yelling, "Kid! Watch out! Behind you!"

He had been so surprised that he didn't notice Old Gu approach him until the man he thought was a friend shoved his sabre into his heart and out the other side.

The last thing he remembered was the man saying, "Sorry, kid. We can't let you have any petals like we agreed. A live plant that we can move and won't die the instant we touch it? This is just too good to pass up. It's nothing personal."

I watched the two older men betray and murder the younger man with a complicated expression on my face. After thinking about it, I thought I perhaps had caused this falling out.

I had put all of the good loot out that one "run" of the village should provide, including dropping one of the cold stones in the skull of one of the Chungi, and setting one of the potted plants next to the cultivation manual in the courtyard.

I did know that the plant was difficult to harvest without killing it, but perhaps I had misjudged exactly how difficult? I succeeded on the third try, but I was a learned master of the mystic arts, not lumberjack swordsmen like those two old men.

I had taken kind of a liking to the young man when I watched him fight all of the skeletons. Not enough to try to stop his friends when they tried to murder him, though, and not enough for me to try to get revenge, either. These guys had to make it back; stronger people would come if it was a team wipe. That's how it worked, I felt, using my intuitive video game and novel logic.

Still, it wasn't like I couldn't do anything. The question was this worth my only diamond?

In the table-top game the third-level Necromancy spell Revivify was restricted to only clerics, paladins and for some unknown reason bards. The same was true with Raise Dead, Resurrection and True Resurrection. Wizards and arcane magic just couldn't raise people from the dead.

It was almost the same in Merildwen's reality. Wizards could get Revivify, but none of the other spells. A suitably trained Necromancer could bring someone back from the dead only in one situation—their soul still had to be available.

A soul left the body pretty quickly. Ten minutes was average, with the max being around an hour. A necromancer could either cast Revivify in that limit or restrain the soul from leaving through a number of ways, after which they could cast Revivify at their leisure while using the soul and the soul's original body, so long as it hadn't decomposed or wasn't too damaged.

It still cost a small diamond, though, and the spell consumed it. After I was sure the two scimitar guys were gone, I rushed out to the young man's body and fished out a couple of copper coins, placing them on his eyelids and quickly casting Gentle Repose. That would keep him from decomposing or rising from the dead in the heightened yin energy.

Following that, I pulled out my ritual dagger and ushered the young man's soul into the soul jar attached to the pommel, along with Jim. Soul jars were generally designed to keep souls in stasis so they wouldn't be aware of anything, much less each other.

They had looted him pretty thoroughly, but unusually, they had left a plain-looking ring that the boy wore on a necklace around his neck. Frowning, I reached out to grab it, and as soon as I touched it, I heard something in my mind.

"Poor Xiao Li. We shouldn't have come here... wait, who are you?"

I froze. My Detect Magic spell had already expired, so I hadn't thought to examine the item for magic, but as soon as I touched it, I realised what sort of object it was without even having to Identify it. In fact, it was quite similar to the object I had just stored the young man's soul in.

It was some type of soul jar, except that it was designed so that the occupant had some manner of freedom and could extend at least some energy outside of it. In that way, it started sounding closer to a phylactery to me, which scared me to death. Instead of answering, I immediately shifted the ring into my hammerspace. Time didn't pass there, and as far as I knew, nothing could affect me from there.

That lady's voice didn't sound like a lich. She seemed genuinely upset about this young man's passing. Some sort of ghost? Would the possibility of me being possessed never end?

I mean... I could just leave it in there forever. That would be the smart thing.

Over the next two days, I hadn't decided whether or not I was going to waste a limited resource like a diamond on the dead young man, although I carefully used Seal Wounds to heal all of the physical damage to his corpse, including the trauma to its heart before it lost too much blood.

The spell Revivify itself healed the corpse to the point where it wouldn't immediately die again, but not anywhere near what I would call hale and hearty.

As far as the old woman's voice in the ring, I had been studying ritual magic for the next two days, and I thought I had figured out a way to speak with her without giving it access to my body or soul. I was combining and modifying elements of Speak With the Dead and Magic Mouth to create a ritual that should allow two-way communication with the ring without touching it.

It was actually an amazing piece of spellcraft and would have been enough to see me considered a journeyman Wizard in my own right. Modifying and combining spellforms together was the sign of a truly educated person, not merely a dabbler. It was also the cause of most arcane explosions and untimely deaths of young wizards.

Beyond the potential for explosions, this was still not exactly smart because I didn't know if the soul inside could rush out and possess me. So, I took a few other precautions there as well, using multiple casts of Protection from Evil and Good targetted both undead and living souls to give myself protection against possession.

If it could just come out and squash me to death with magical power, I was a bit screwed, but I didn't think it would be taking my body. I was really a bit sensitive about that, I realised, looking down at my too-feminine chest.

My biggest issue, again, was that I still barely spoke the language. Sighing, I held my hand out in front of the centre of the ritual circle and caused the ring to plop down and clank on the ground before activating the magic, which had already been primed and buzzing, just awaiting my unleashing it.

"Can you hear me?" I asked in broken, maybe Chinese.

I heard audibly, "Yes, who are you, and why are you talking like a child?"

"It's complicated. I don't know the language too well, but I'm able to use a special technique to understand you despite that," I explained, or at least tried to. It probably came out like, "Me speak bad, but hear you in helmet."

"Uhh... just a moment. I'm very limited at what I can do in here, but I should have a form of soul divination that I can use to understand you in a similar way," the voice said, and I clenched my fist. She could cast magic from inside there. I should put her back in the hammerspace!

I decided to try speaking in English, then, "Can you understand me now?"

"Yes," she said, before asking, "Why do you still have little Li's body? I promise you, if you defile it by raising it as some manner of corpse puppet, I will find a way to make you pay for it."

I blinked. Did that mean she couldn't make me pay right now? Was she limited on what magic she could use in there after all? She seemed attached to the young man, at least.

I shook my head, although I would have been lying if I wasn't a little curious about what a cultivator zombie might be like. I said, "No. I restrained his soul from passing on and was considering bringing him back to life... uhh... regular life. But it would cost me something of value that I can't easily replace right now."

There was a pause, before the old lady's voice asked, seemingly hopeful, "Is that possible? He won't come back as some sort of yin-monster like a jiangshi?"

I had been waiting to see what her reaction to that offer was. If it turned out that Revivify was the equivalent of some sort of earth-shaking, amazing magic that would shatter the heavens or something, then I was going to immediately put that ring back in my hammerspace and not ever take it out again, unless I happened to be able to throw it into the sun someday.

Sorry, Grandma-sounding lady! I'd like to do the right thing, but my survival was, ultimately, more important. She had sounded a little surprised but not shocked by the offer. That was sufficient to allow me to proceed.

I nodded, wondering how she could see the young man's corpse from inside the ring, "He would be perfectly normal, as far as I know. He'd be weak for a few weeks to a month at the most." I also didn't even know what a jiangshi was.

"We would both be deeply in your debt, me especially. What would you need to compensate you for saving him?" she asked, with some emotion in her voice.

What I really needed was a language tutor and a temporary local guide. But I would settle for as much as they would give me. I grinned, "Well, let's talk about that..."

Last edited:
Yeah a Nascent Soul cultivator thinking something you can do should be impossible means it is most definitely "earth-shaking, amazing magic". The point of view of the young cultivator was a very good choice it nicely gave a lot of context.

Cultivation levels usually go like: Qi Gathering>Foundation Establishment>Core Formation>Nascent Soul etc. So Grandma Mei is either lying about her previous cultivation or something like a Sect Leader or higher.

Yeah a Nascent Soul cultivator thinking something you can do should be impossible means it is most definitely "earth-shaking, amazing magic". The point of view of the young cultivator was a very good choice it nicely gave a lot of context.

Cultivation levels usually go like: Qi Gathering>Foundation Establishment>Core Formation>Nascent Soul etc. So Grandma Mei is either lying about her previous cultivation or something like a Sect Leader or higher.
To be fair, she doesn't say it's impossible, just asks if it is possible, maybe referring to her abilities and resources rather than metaphysically, and asks about potential side effects.

Resurrection talismans and formations are a thing in many xianxia novels, but are usually way more expensive than a single mundane diamond.

On one hand, this is Xianxia, and the "I shall seal McDonald's!" review is pretty spot on regarding the entire concept. On the other hand, this is Spira. I guess I will have to believe a good author can create a good story even in this setting. It has been rather compelling so far.
P.S. pls finish skitterdoc.

If you think about it, the main challenge in resurrection in Xianxia centers around "having the soul."
More specifically, having all of the soul.

I think the Jiangshi is often putting a few parts of the soul back in the body.
Other efforts involve messing with the Underworld to get other parts back.
A Nascent Soul Cultivator can live without a body and potentially come back.

In that context, the real trick isn't the resurrection, it's the fact that she had a soul jar able to contain the entire soul of a low-level cultivator intact.

Her ability to mend the body might be a factor too. We don´t really know yet if there are any healing techniques that could, say, mend a damaged heart since we haven´t seen any qi techniques except for the translation one yet.

Back