Cowboy Bebop at his computer remake, now with live action Husky

Gonna find out who the director is so proper vitriol can be sent if bad, using actors as human shields are bad.

Also its an AU so hope its funky.

The Verge:

The live-action adaptation was first reported to be in the works last year. Showrunners include Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol co-writers Andre Nemec and Josh Appelbaum along with Venom and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle co-writers Jeff Pinkner and Scott Rosenberg. The first episode is written by Christopher Yost (Thor: The Dark World and Ragnarok). Original anime director Shinichiro Watanabe is on board as a consultant.

NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION I'M STILL WORRIED

Heard its some mission impossible and jumanji flunkies doing it, at least it aint the guy who did resident evil

So... just today we have announcements of:

Rilakkuma and Kaoru series
Ultraman CGI anime
Neon Genesis Evangelion anime, and
Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

coming to Netflix next year. Heck I just read someone's comment about maybe Cowboy Bebop live-action coming to Netflix a few hours before this.

I can't believe it's actually true. So what else in the 90's era anime Netflix still not picking up for its next year's catalogue?

Like the only encouraging thing in this thread so far are the words Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Of course the chances of this being even vaguely good, let alone Ghost Protocol are...slim at best.

I want a good live-action version of this so bad... But I know it's probably gonna be a pile of shit. :(

What's with this fetishization of everything needing to be Live-Action?

I have no idea how reliable That Hashtag Show is, but this story is circulating on a variety of other sites now (albeit all based on this source) so I figure it's worth sharing here. Allegedly, here are the casting calls/character descriptions for the main characters of Netflix's Cowboy Bebop:

Article:
Spike Spiegel

An Asian (or partially Asian) man in his mid 20's to mid 30's and must have athletic ability. Spike is the young and handsome male lead with a body like Bruce Lee. His carefree demeanor hides a seriously dangerous individual. Spike is prone to shoot first and improvise, unlike his more serious partner Jet, but he gets the job done. Spike tries to hide his sensitive side but is a sucker for a damsel in distress and is haunted by his past

Faye Valentine

An Asian (or mixed heritage) woman in her early 20's to mid 30's and must have athletic ability. Faye is the female lead of the show. She is an attractive bounty hunter with a sharp tongue. She's a survivor who will con anyone to get what she wants. Faye has no memory of her early life, including family or friends. So, even though she'll never admit it, she likes working with the other members of the Bebop crew.

Jet Black

An African American (or partial African American) man in his mid 30's to early 50's. An ex-cop, Jet looks intimidating but is a softy at heart. He became fed up with the corrupt system, but he still catches criminals as a bounty hunter. While Jet believes in the law, he will always back up a friend. Occasionally, he will even relax and have fun.

Radical Ed

14-year-old girl, must have athletic ability and short stature. Ed is a 14-year-old computer genius and expert hacker whose talents are indispensable. She is extremely energetic with a child-like wonder and is eccentric, bordering on the bizarre.

Vicious

A man in his mid 20's to mid 30's of any ethnicity, with pale skin and white hair. Vicious is the merciless leader of the criminal organization known as the Syndicate. He will kill anyone who gets in the way of his business without a second thought.

Julia

A woman in her mid 20's to mid 30's of any ethnicity. Julia is a sophisticated blonde damsel in distress that has a mysterious connection to Spike. She appears to him in visions and whispers to him about his past. The real Julia is the girlfriend of the merciless Syndicate leader Vicious.

I always read Spike as Jewish due to his name and his fro, but it'd be encouraging to see a major Western anime adaptation that isn't afraid to cast Asian actors.

Last edited:
I'm a bit weirded out that they describe Vicious as being "of any ethnicity", since I always pegged him as being Chinese, given that everyone else in the Red Dragon has a Chinese-sounding name and their leadership wear Chinese-style clothes.

Also, it means that his using a katana as his weapon of choice isn't just Rule of Cool, but a deliberate sign of his contempt for tradition.

I'm a bit weirded out that they describe Vicious as being "of any ethnicity", since I always pegged him as being Chinese, given that everyone else in the Red Dragon has a Chinese-sounding name and their leadership wear Chinese-style clothes.

Also, it means that his using a katana as his weapon of choice isn't just Rule of Cool, but a deliberate sign of his contempt for tradition.

Then again, the concept of the nation is at least partially dead in the Cowboy Bebop universe thanks to the destruction of Earth.

Back