Covenant: an Abrahamic Fantasy

the Great Escape
Chapter 27: A Great Escape

One of Prester John's secret police brushes off his uniform as he reaches the bottom of the steps. A serving girl is there, and she jumps as she sees him, instinctively shrinking back.

"Hello, officer! What can I do for you?"

The secret policeman frowns at her.

"Some guests of Prester John are attempting to leave without permission. Have you seen them?"

"Oh, yes! I saw them just a moment ago, officer. Quickly, they went this way!"

The officer grunts in satisfaction and follows the serving girl to one of the apartments where guests are quartered. She steps aside and motions for him to enter, and he brushes past her dismissively and opens the door. The serving girl is a step behind him.

As he enters, he realizes something is wrong. Why is the room so dark?

"You should be careful," Devorah says as she produces a small but heavy sandbag from her belt, "I hear one of them is a shapeshifter."

Prester John looks up from his breakfast as a member of his Secret Police enters.

"Your majesty, your guests are attempting to, er…leave."

Prester John raises his eyebrows.

"Indeed? Where are they now?"

"That's just it, we can't find them."

"Well, do so," Prester John says dismissively, "Take Corichan with you."

"It shall be done, your majesty," the hugely muscled bodyguard says with a bow.

"Excellent, I will join you when I am finished here."

"Why aren't we running for the ship?" Moishe asks as they sprint down a hallway. He barely registers the immaculately-decorated tilework, archways, and decorations, but he spares a thought that in better circumstances, this really would be a wonderful place to live.

"There they are!" shouts a guard at the foot of a nearby staircase. The crew takes a sharp turn, heading for the north wing of the palace and the sprawl of stables and courtyards with their several side entrances.

"Because," Robert snarls in answer to Moishe's question, "We have to draw their attention away from the ship, by making them think we're trying to escape on foot."

"But aren't we trying to escape on the ship? Don't we need to, you know, get to the ship?" Menander asks.

"Yes," Sarai says, "But they don't know we can get out of here any time we like."

She exchanges a smirk with Shabbar.

"Convenient, that," Menander pants.

The sound of boots pounding on tiles sounds behind them cuts off their conversation, but they don't just have to worry about the enemies behind them.

Corichan steps out from behind a pillar and cracks his knuckles.

"Hello," Corichan grumbles, "I've been waiting for this."

The others skid to a halt, save for Shabbar who puts himself between Corichan and the crew.

"As a matter of fact, so have I."

"Wait-" Sarai begins, but Shabbar roars and lunges at Corichan. The bodyguard moves incredibly quickly, dropping into a defensive stance and dodging Shabbar's first blow, grabbing his elbow and spinning around. Shabbar has a look of shock on his face as Corichan throws him into a nearby wall – which explodes in a shower of masonry as Shabbar is thrown directly through it into the room on the other side.

The djinn stumbles to his feet as Corichan steps through the hole he just made.

"You're strong," Shabbar says. Corichan smirks and charges.

"We should get out of here," Robert says as the guards turn a corner and come into sight, orders being shouted by members of the Secret Police.

"But we need Shabbar!" Moishe says.

Sayrane steps forward.

"You two run, we'll take care of this."

"We?" Sarai asks. Sayrane smiles at her and flexes.

"I told you, I can take care of myself."

A couple of guards are hanging around the moored airship Aliyah.

"Curious thing, isn't it?" one of them asks. The captain grunts.

"Some alchemical device, to be sure. His Majesty will want to go over it and figure out how it works."

"Saint Mary, it would be a trip in one of those, eh?"

The captain shrugs.

"Maybe one day. I'll bet it's the army pricks that get these first."

"Attention!" barks a male voice. The guards feel a chill run down their spine as they see a member of Prester John's Secret Police enter the courtyard. The guards quickly scramble to attention as the secret policeman stalks towards them and shows them his badge of office.

"What's all this, then?"

"Guarding the ship, officer. We're under strict orders not to leave it nor to let anyone touch it, sir."

The secret policeman casts a careful eye over the ship.

"Hm, I see. Very good, captain, but the Secret Police will be taking custody of this…thing."

"Er…"

The secret policeman fixes one eye on the luckless guard captain.

"Did I not make myself clear? You are dismissed, captain, this is Secret Police business."

"With all due respect, sir, I distinctly remember being ordered to-"

"Oh, you remember? Fancy yourself having a good memory? Well, let me tell you about my memory, I remember your face, soldier, and you better believe I'll remember your name and the village where you were born when I write up my report to Prester John. Understand?"

"Right, sir. Very good point, sir."

The guard captain makes a chopping motion, and his men quickly gather up their things and practically run away. Dev allows himself a small smile as he watches them leave.

Shabbar grunts as Corichan deals him a staggering blow to the face. The djinn staggers back, visibly winded. He's never met a man who could go toe to toe with a djinn, and though he's been getting in a few hits Corichan is so skilled he can shrug off-

"Hey," says a young woman. Corichan turns and looks at her with a mix of disbelief and.

Then, she kicks him, a high kick that connects with Corichan's jaw and forces him back a few steps. The bodyguard glares at her and spits out a mouthful of blood onto the tiles between them.

"That hurt," he growls.

"Oh, fuck," Sayrane says as Corichan attacks, but she moves fast, leaping over his fist and grabbing his arm, using his as leverage to vault over him and land next to Shabbar.

"Do you have a plan?" Shabbar asks. Sayrane yelps and dodges as Corichan attacks, but the bodyguard is now fighting two on one. Shabbar punches him in the side, winding him, allowing Sayrane to kick him and dance back, keeping herself balanced on the balls of her feet, nimble.

"Keep him busy!" Sayrane yells. Corichan shifts his stance, deflecting her blows before Shabbar slams into him, tackling him into a pillar.

Roaring, the djinn hammers his fists into Corichan's torso as the huge bodyguard responds blow for blow. When he's slammed into the pillar, the stone cracks and Corichan gasps, allowing – until Corichan moves in for a grapple, grabbing Shabbar around the middle and slamming him into the ground. Corichan raises both his fists and prepares to bring them down in a finishing blow.

"EEEE-YAH!" Sayrane shrieks as she deals another high kick to Corichan's face.

"That's getting annoying," Corichan rumbles, getting to his feet. Shabbar scrambles to his feet and joins Sayrane, wiping a trickle of blood from his face.

"Are you okay?" she asks. Shabbar grunts and Sayrane nods.

"Right. Let's take this guy down."

Corichan and Shabbar clash again, but Shabbar seems to have learned his lesson and his fighting defensively. All it takes is one wild attack to miss, throwing Corichan forward off-balance, and Sayrane sees her chance.

She darts in and grabs Corichan's fist, pulling on his arm and using his own weight and force against him. Shabbar looks on in shock as Sayrane flips a seven-foot-tall man head over heels and slams him flat on his back.

"Now!" she yells, and Shabbar pounces, one foot slamming into Corichan's chest with such force that the tiles underneath him crack in a spiderweb pattern. The bodyguard moans, struggles to raise his head, and then goes limp.

As Shabbar catches his breath, Sayrane looks at him and smiles.

"That was fun! Do you guys do this sort of thing all the time?"

Dev is busy unmooring the ship when suddenly a cluster of guards and Secret Policemen rush into the courtyard. One of them is dressed in his underclothes and seems absolutely livid.

"There!" he yells.

"Uh-oh," Dev mutters, "Time to skip to part two."

Dev drops the final rope, allowing the Aliyah to drift into the air. He runs to the furnace and stokes it desperately, and the Aliyah quickly picks up speed and is soon skimming along above the rooftops of Prester John's palace. Below in the courtyard, a number of men with matchlocks are lining up.

"FIRE!" yells a voice, and a hail of bullets speed towards the fleeing airship. Dev yelps and hits the deck; while splinters fly, the spells cast on the airship by Robert are still in place, preventing the gasbag from being punctured.

Down below, Shabbar looks out a window and spots the Aliyah.

"There!" he says. Sayrane joins him and looks at the ship skeptically.

"So, how are we supposed to get up there?" she asks. Shabbar grabs her by the back of her robes, causing her to protest, but a moment later they appear on the deck of the Aliyah with a pop of displaced air. He drops Sayrane in a heap on the deck.

"Now, time to get the rest out of here," Shabbar says before vanishing with another pop.

Robert, Menander, Sarai and Moishe have reached a dead end. They've taken a wrong turn somewhere and wound up in a room at the top of a small bastion. Other than the door they've entered, which Robert is trying to brace himself against, the only way out is a small, narrow window. Menander looks out of it, his face falling.

"Did we have a plan?" Menander asks.

"Call Shabbar," Sarai says, pushing him aside, "Shabbar!" she yells.

"Open up and you will be shown mercy!" yells a voice from outside, "Open in the name of the king."

"Better do that now," Robert grunts as the door shudders under a heavy blow.

"Shabbar!" Sarai yells again, louder, and the djinn appears instantly in the room with them.

"You called for me, ma'am?" he asks. Sarai feels a rush of relief and gestures at Robert and Menander.

"Take them first, then come back for Moishe and I."

"Captain-" Robert begins, but Shabbar instantly grabs both Robert and Menander by the arms and vanishes.

There is a heartbeat in which Moishe feels like they're really about to escape, and then the door bursts open. Standing in the doorway is Prester John, holding his scepter carved from a single emerald. He levels it at them and speaks a single word.

"SLEEP!"

Sarai and Moishe slump to the ground, darkness washing over them.

Shabbar puts down Robert and Menander, and the two brush themselves off.

"I need to get back and-"

Shabbar pauses and looks at Sayrane, who is kneeling over Dev. The incubus looks pale, and as the other members of the crew see the jagged splinter embedded in Dev's stomach, they realize why.

"Be honest," Dev gasps, "It doesn't look good, does it?"

The sorcerer king acts.

I feel like this is going to spiral out of control as the involvement of a princess of the Lost Tribes makes it a diplomatic incident.

Hunh.
So, I find it funny that last chapter I think 'if someone was going to screw the pooch here, it's be Meander, what with the uncle connection.' And lo and behold guess where the elephant man is but dealing with that via confession.
As for Sayrane I found her Princess Monk deal neat but also surprising, not as surprising as her joining the crew!
Cue this episode, where yes, Shabbar does not beat the Nazarine in fisticuffs. Did not expect Sayrane to ALSO want a mirror match in the form of Jewish butt-kicker and now I'm wondering if the crew will come across a certain famous (or more likely, infamous!) Buddhist pilgrimage who I think should be headed the opposite way, since the airship is headed generally to the east…

Magnum Opus
Chapter 28: Magnus Opus

Sarai and Moishe are not certain how long they slept. However, when they awaken, they slowly become aware of their surroundings.

They are in a dark room whose low, vaulted ceilings are hung with chandeliers set with stones that give off magical light. The whole room is decently well-lit as a result, and the two can see tables and workbenches covered in alchemical equipment. They are lying in fairly comfortable chairs, and sitting across from them is Prester John in his vibrant cloak of salamander skins.

"Where are we?" Sarai asks, clutching her head.

"Thou art in our royal alchemy lab," Prester John says.

"Where are our friends?" she asks, her voice sharp.

Prester John shrugs.

"Fear not! We have decided to let them escape. Why would we need the ship when we have its creator?"

Moishe shakes off the magical drowsiness and looks around. He sees his staff lying on a nearby workbench, but at a sharp look from Sarai he sits up in his chair and says nothing.

"Do you really think they'll just leave without us?"

Prester John shrugs again.

"The wards around the city walls will prevent thy…djinn from returning." He gives Sarai a grudging smile. "I will admit, they were very clever to escape my grasp."

Sarai notes that he has dropped the royal 'we'. It was starting to grate on her.

"So, what do you want with us? Will you force us to build another ship, then?" Moishe asks. Prester John turns to the apprentice, his hands clasped on the end of his scepter.

"In time, perhaps, but first, I have another task for you." He waves his hand around the room. "As you can see, I lack for nothing. You will have all the resources required to produce…the greatest of alchemical creations."

"A magnum opus."

"Precisely," the king replies, his teeth gleaming in the magical light. He stands up and begins to pace. "You see, I am not the first Prester John. You know this?" At a nod from Sarai and Moishe, he continues. "My grandfather ruled wisely for centuries, thanks to his mastery of the philosopher's stone. It granted him extended life and health. However, when he fell in battle against Genghis Khan," his face twists in a brief grimace, "He took that secret to his grave. My father, David, lived on for quite some time on the stockpile his father had accumulated, but when they ran out, he went the way of all men. Leaving me."

"So, you want a philosopher's stone," Sarai says with a frown.

"You really think you deserve to live forever?" Moishe asks.

Prester John steeples his fingers.

"It's not about what I deserve, it's about what the realm needs for stability. The kingdom is not as great as it was in my grandfather's day – the cannibal tribes of Gog and Magog have broken away, we have lost Iran, and the Ten Lost Tribes are more independent than not."

Sarai snorts dismissively.

"That doesn't sound like a problem that can be fixed with more time. Besides, what if we refuse?"

Prester John sighs.

"I expected you'd say that. I had prepared for this." He stands up and walks towards a velvet wall hanging that curtains off a part of the laboratory. Moishe dimly noticed it before, but now he finds his attention drawn towards it. He feels…something. Something he's felt before. Where was it…?

"If you do not produce the philosopher's stone for me," Prester John says, pulling back the curtain, "He will."

Sarai and Moishe gasp.

"Hello again, Moishe ben David," says the Archdevil Berith. He is just as Moishe remembers – red skin, the hooves of a horse – save for the chains binding him at wrist and ankle.

"What have you done?" Sarai asks, "Consorting with devils?"

Prester John looks offended.

"Really now! There are more ways to call up these spirits without the need for human sacrifice. For example, chains inscribed with the Names of God. Besides, didn't Solomon himself bind the Archdevil Asmodeus?"

"Look how that turned out for him," Moishe mutters. Berith seems to be giving him an almost-apologetic look.

"This isn't exactly helping your case," Sarai says, crossing her arms.

"I don't understand, why do you need the help at all? Can't you just make it yourself? You're supposed to be a great alchemist," Moishe asks.

"He can't," Sarai answers simply, "He might know the steps, but the magnum opus is as much a spiritual process as it is a chemical one."

"Yes," Prester John admits, "Of course, I am only giving you this choice because I know what you are capable of. Truly, I was planning on using Berith here until you practically dropped into my lap."

Sarai looks at Moishe and raises her eyebrow.

"Can you give us a moment?" Moishe asks the King of Ind, who sighs and returns to his seat.

"It's not much of a choice," Sarai whispers, "But I'd rather not be party to this at all."

Moishe looks at Berith uncomfortably.

"Yes, but I'd rather he didn't use that. I think…we should go along with this, until we can think of something."

Sarai glances over to Prester John, who seems to have not heard.

"Does this have anything to do with…?" she nods at the staff.

"Maybe?" Moishe shrugs.

"Good enough," she says, clapping her hands and turning to Prester John, "Well we've come to a decision. What equipment do you have?"

The crew of the Aliyah gathers around Dev. Robert cradles the incubus' head in his lap.

"Oh God," Robert says. Sayrane kneels next to him and reaches for the splinter.

"Don't!" Menander says, "That might be the only thing keeping Dev from bleeding out."

"But we need to take it out to – to heal him," Sayrane says. She seems overwhelmed by the sudden violence.

Robert shakes his head.

"I don't have a healing spell that can fix something that bad."

"We'd need a miracle," Shabbar rumbles. Robert looks at him, and for a moment everything else vanishes.

He remembers that moment in the caves of the Shahmaran, when there was someone in that cell other than him and Moishe. He remembers that time in the deserts of Zazamanc, before…before. He remembers that time he and Dev shared a drink on.

Robert grits his teeth and grabs the splinter embedded in Dev's torso.

Sayrane starts.

"Wait, Robert. Are you sure-"

Shabbar puts a hand on her shoulder.

"He is," the djinn says.

Robert draws the splinter out of the wound, and just as quickly places both his hands over the gaping incision and begins to pray.

"Laying on hands," Menander gasps, crossing himself.

Dev's eyes flutter, and Robert removes his hands, revealing that the wound has closed itself up; even the blood is gone.

Dev gasps and looks up at the knight.

"Robert. You saved me."

Dev reaches up and touches Robert's cheek.

"Course I did," Robert says, his voice thick with emotion, "Have a little faith."

I will not tell you precisely how Sarai bat Binyamin and her apprentice crafted the philosopher's stone, for that is a secret known only to master alchemists. What I can tell you is that there are four steps, and that the substances involved are some of the most fiendishly rare and esoteric in the entire field. These serve as the base of the process.

"Moishe, tell me the four stages of the magnum opus," Sarai barks as she carefully treats the substance.

"Um, first, the melanosis. The blackening, when the material is burned to dark ash."

Both of them watch it burn over the fire.

"Correct," says Sarai, "But it also represents the darkness of the soul. Next?"

"The leucosis, the whitening."

"Which represents purification of the soul, the absence of sin."

"Then comes the xanthosis. The uh, yellowing. Or is it orange?"

Sarai shrugs.

"Either way, it is the color of sunrise, the rising of the soul."

"And finally?" Moishe asks, licking his lips.

"Iosis," Sarai breathes, "The reddening. Red is the color associated with gold, the noblest of all metals, and the Sun. The source of all life."

"And the philosopher's stone doesn't just purify the body, but the soul."

"Well, some believe it is the purification of the soul that it is the process of creation," Sarai says, "The master alchemists can be...quite opaque."

"It sounds fiendishly complex," Prester John says from his chair. The two had almost forgotten him – but Moishe has not forgotten the Archdevil still bound to the side.

"Of course! Each of those stages can have as many as twelve steps. Now, soon we can move on to the leucosis."

Moishe watches for a moment before wandering towards Berith. The Archdevil seems to be considering everything in the room with a cool indifference.

Moishe glances over his shoulder; Prester John has noted his interest in the Archdevil but seems unconcerned.

"I know what you are," he says to Berith under his breath. The Archdevil seems to notice Moishe standing right in front of him and raises his eyebrows.

"I had not expected that," Berith says. Moishe nods.

"More than I did the last time. I know you are a fallen angel, a fragment of the divine, severed during…the divine contraction."

"A likely hypothesis," Berith says with a nod.

"You mean you don't know?" Moishe asks, a little shocked.

"Consider," Berith begins, testing his chains, "If that were true, I would have no more link to the divine, and would thus lack and sense of the will of God. I would be as to one deaf and dumb."

He gives Moishe another pained look.

"Can you imagine what that would be like, Moishe ben David? To be an incomplete being? To not be able to access the divine will? I envy you mortals, that," he nods at Sarai's work, "Is closer to touching the divine than I, a purely spiritual being, will ever get."

Moishe does not know what to say.

"Moishe! I need help!" Sarai barks. The apprentice looks at Berith and sees a being that is both more and less than human.

"I will have to talk to you again," Moishe says, before returning to his teacher. For a time, the two are busy again. The process continues, material turning from black to white, then to yellow, and finally begins solidifying into a true stone.

"Almost done," Sarai gasps. She is so caught up in the process that she has almost forgotten the circumstances, instead being so caught up in the spiritual transformation of this, her magnum opus.

She is brought out of her reverie by Moishe sliding a piece of paper towards her across the table. She glances at it and sees his writing:

I have a plan. Keep him busy talking.

Sarai glances at Moishe and sees the certainty in his face. She nods, deciding to trust him, and disposes of the paper.

Prester John stands up and claps his hands together.

"Well done! Let this be the first of many."

Sarai fishes the stone out of its tempering furnace with a pair of tongs and sets it on a wire rack. It is red, yes, but it glows with a deep inner light. A philosopher's stone. For a moment, all eyes are fixed on it, even those of Berith.

"Give it to me," Prester John says, breaking the silence. Sarai turns, putting her back to the stone and herself between it and Prester John.

"Why? Are you so desperate to avoid death?"

Prester John bristles.

"Do you understand what will happen if I die? The greatest realm on God's Earth will fall apart."

"It can't have been that great if it doesn't outlast you," Sarai replies.

"You wouldn't understand the matters of state," the king says dismissively.

"At the very least, you could find an heir and entrust him with your throne!" she scoffs. Prester John seems to be losing his patience.

"I will trust no one with my throne!"

"Even the patriarchs couldn't live forever! Not even your father or grandfather! Everything – everything on Earth, anyway – comes to an end eventually!"

"That's not fair!" Prester John yells. He and Sarai both move towards the stone at the same time – and find it missing.

Both of them look up in shock at Moishe, who is holding it in his hand, with a cup of wine in the other.

"Neither of you move," he says calmly, "I know what to do with this."

"Moishe, we just finished making that," Sarai says wearily, "If you destroy it, we'll just have to make more."

Moishe crushes the stone to dust in his hand – it is surprisingly brittle, like an eggshell – and he drops the dust into the cup of wine.

"The elixir of immortality!" Prester John says, "You would take it yourself?"

"No," says Moishe, "It's for him."

He turns towards the Archdevil, who looks on curiously as Moishe approaches.

"Moishe, are you insane?" Sarai asks, her mouth hanging open.

"Well, I might not be entirely clear on this…but I think I understand." He looks at the others. "You see, when the emanations of Hashem were disrupted, so were the Heavenly Hosts. Some of the angels became devils, cut off from Hashem. But they're not evil." He frowns. "At least, not consciously. They're more like…a golem or an automaton that has malfunctioned."

"And you fancy yourself the one to fix them?"

Moishe shrugs.

"I have no idea if this works. But…alchemy and Kabbalah have the same goals, I learned that as well. We purify ourselves, the world…even the Heavens themselves. If the philosopher's stone can purify a human soul, why not an angel's soul as well?"

He turns and offers the cup of wine to Berith.

"Man, I hope this works."

As Berith takes the cup in his manacled hands, Prester John steps forward, but Sarai puts out her hand and stops him. Prester John does not even react to her impertinence as Berith drinks the elixir of immortality.

Moishe snatches up his staff.

"Now! Berith!"

The Archdevil is starting to glow with a very different inner light than before, his whole body changing.

"I can hear Him," the Archdevil says.

And Moishe speaks Berith's true name.

There is a flash of light, and the chains fall to the ground, the names of God inscribed on them smoking slightly in the cool of the laboratory.

Moishe feels himself grow a little faint, but his teacher is there.

"Easy, Moishe. I think you did it…" she says, a little amazed.

"What have you done?" Prester John shouts, "Now I have nothing! If you think I'll let you go after that-"

Moishe spins around, facing the King of Ind.

"It's over. Your plan has failed. Maybe you can make the stone yourself, but I'd be willing to bet not."

"I can find other – other alchemists! There has to be a way!"

Moishe shrugs.

"Maybe. But it won't last forever. Not even this world."

A wind starts to flap around him. Prester John looks…afraid.

"Wait, I'll give you anything! Guards!"

Moishe grabs his teacher's arm in one hand and his staff in the other. Glaring at Prester John, he summons up the same reserves he felt when he escaped from the caves of the Shahmaran.

"You're going to die one day, just like everyone else. I suggest you get used to it."

And then, Moishe ben David turns, takes a step, and vanishes.

Prester John's guards find him some time later standing on a balcony.

"Your majesty? We found the laboratory empty. Have your, uh, have the alchemists escaped?"

"Yes," Prester John says faintly. He can still see the Aliyah, a distant speck vanishing into the sunset.

"Should we go after them?"

"No. Let them go. In fact, captain, I want you to leave alone for a while."

"Your majesty?"

"I need to pray."

The crew is just picking Dev off the ground when there is a flash of light.

"Oh, God, Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" Menander screams as Moishe and Sarai appear right on top of him.

Moishe is panting and slumps on the deck of the ship.

"What the Hell was that?" Dev asks, leaning on Robert.

"I don't – I don't know, I've never done something like that before."

Then Sarai smacks him.

"Idiot apprentice! What were you thinking, doing something so – so impromptu? I taught you better than that! What did you even do?"

Moishe rubs his head.

"I'm still not sure."

He looks around at the rest of the crew.

"Apparently you brought us back to the ship," Sarai says as she helps Moishe to his feet. Suddenly, Shabbar scoops them both up in a crushing hug.

"Mashallah! I thought I'd failed you both! Praise be to Allah the Great, the Merciful-"

"Thank you Shabbar, believe me we never doubted you for – oof!"

Sarai's reassurances are cut off as Dev joins the hug.

"Where were you? It's been hours!"

Shabbar drops the alchemist and her apprentice, and Sarai smiles.

"We made a philosopher's stone."

Moishe scoffs.

"She made it. I just helped."

"Well! You're the one who fixed an Archdevil."

"You what?" Robert says.

"Sounds like we've all been doing amazing things," Dev says.

Sarai puts her hand on Moishe's shoulder.

"And, really, helping create a philosopher's stone is still worthy of a master alchemist."

Moishe blushes.

"Thank you, teacher."

Sarai wags a finger in his face.

"Don't you call me teacher! Didn't I just call you a master?"

Moishe's jaw drops.

"You mean-"

Sarai waves her hand.

"Well, maybe not until we can have a proper exam. And there are a few more secrets I need to teach you..." As Moishe laughs, Sarai looks at the rest of her crew. "So, what happened to the rest of you while we were gone?"

"I fought Prester John's bodyguard!" Sayrane adds.

Shabbar nods.

"She was very impressive."

Sarai looks around.

"Sounds like we have some stuff to catch each other up on. Shabbar, what happened after you got tackled through that wall?"

As the story begins to unfold, Aliyah flies off into the sunset.

Epilogue
Epilogue

"And that," says Menander, "Is how I decided to give up a life of crime and become a jester."

The King of Hungary rests his chin on his hand and looks pointedly at Menander.

"You didn't seem to do very much in that story. In fact, you weren't even there for most of it."

Menander chuckles and picks up his juggling balls.

"Ah, very insightful, your majesty, but consider! That was not the last time I adventured with the crew of the Aliyah! Let me tell you of the time I had to entertain the cannibal hordes of Gog and Magog at their hideous feast, lest they add us to the menu…"

"And that," Devorah concludes, "Is the story of how I went to Ind on the world's first flying machine!"

The other succubi applaud politely.

"So, what happened with you and Robert? Because you two seemed to-"

"Story for another time," Devorah says with a wink.

"But you did see Grandmother Lilith again?" someone asks.

"Well, eventually, but not for many years yet!"

"It must have been a great journey, though," one incubus sighs.

"Ah, that's nothing," Devorah says with a wave of her hand, "Because we also visited the top of the world, and saw where the Firmament touches the Encircling Mountains, where fur-clad cyclopes battle gryphons…"

"And that," says Robert de Villiers to a room of young knights, "Is how I rediscovered my faith."

"And then you refounded the Templars?" asks one of them. Robert glances at the banner hanging over the cavernous dining hall beneath the streets of Jerusalem – a red cross on a white banner.

"Well, I had to learn a lot more about our own sort of mysticism. It was that which inspired me to refound the Templars as a mystic order, dedicated to tracking down holy artifacts."

The younger knights nod knowingly. The Templars may be a secret order still, but its initiates know its purpose well.

"Tell me, Grandmaster, what about the Quest for the Holy Grail?" asks one particularly energetic young squire.

"Ah, you must recall, this was before we knew of the New World, and that would take a strange voyage of its own..."

"And that," says Shabbar, "Is how I earned my freedom."

His wife puts her hands on her hips and glares at him.

"And a fine time you took getting home, Shabbar ibn Jann! Not to mention, I was hardly in it!"

Shabbar laughs nervously.

"Hurmiz, my love, you know I thought of you every day!"

The janniyah pouts, but when Shabbar picks her up in his brawny arms and kisses her, she giggles and starts to squirm until he puts her down.

"Besides, you know that you come into our adventures again! Why, what about the time we met all Seven Kings of the Djinn?"

Hurmiz lies down on her couch and rests her head in her hands, smiling at her husband.

"Yes, tell me about that, my great traveler!"

Shabbar snorts, but he sits cross-legged next to her and begins to speak.

"Well, as you recall we had just escaped from the Kingdom of Prester John…"

"And that," says Sarai bat Binyamin, "Is the story of my first flying ship!"

The alchemist is a little older, a little greyer in her hair and a few more lined in the face. She walks with a slight limp, but for her age she doesn't seem that old. Perhaps we can forgive her if, once in a while, she uses her mastery of the philosopher's stone to stay spry. There is, after all, much to do.

Sarai turns from Grenada's airship docks, where all sorts of flying ships are coming and going, along with brooms and flying carpets and flying djinn.

"Of course, that old thing has long since retired. Don't get me wrong, it was a great ship, but I did much better! As you can see," she adds, gesturing at the other airships flying over the city.

A cluster of apprentices listen with rapt attention as the master alchemist concludes the story of the famous voyage of the world's first airship.

"Does this mean you'll tell us how to make a philosopher's stone?"

"Not until you've gotten a little wiser, apprentices."

"You made other magnum opuses, didn't you?"

"Well, yes, but that's another story entirely."

"And when did Moishe stop being your apprentice and become a master alchemist of his own?"

Sarai smiles fondly.

"I think you would be better asking him about that. He tells it better than me. Now, let me tell you the story of my second flying ship!"

"And that," says the Rabbi Moishe, "Is the story of how I got my staff."

His students sit in silence for a moment, then one of them scoffs.

"That's it?" he asks, "How you got your staff? But what about all the other great things you did! What about becoming a rabbi and studying Kabbalah? What about learning the true names of Lilith? What about your encounters with the other archdevils, the ones you-?"

The Rabbi Moishe laughs.

"Did you really learn nothing from my story? I was sure students such as you would get something out of it."

"We did, Rabbi!" they say.

"Well, good. Yes, that first voyage was full of perils and adventures, but I'll always remember it as the time I got my staff, which is what really started me down my path. I didn't graduate from being a student until later, but after that voyage was when things really began for me."

He runs his hand over the gnarled wood, deep in remembrance.

"But you did eventually do all those other things, didn't you Rabbi?" asks one of his students.

"Well, of course I did," Moishe says, a twinkle in his eye, "And many more adventures, besides. But that's not important right now."

Last edited:
Hah.
Retelling the story, so if one we're to ask who was the narrator…
All of them.
A fine tale, a fine reminder of what can happen we people come together, despite, or perhaps especially because of their differences.

Loved it! Certainly one of the most unique fantasy stories and premises I think I've ever read, so hats off to you!

"Tell me, Grandmaster, what about the Quest for the Holy Grail?" asks one particularly energetic young squire.

"Ah, you must recall, this was before we knew of the New World, and that would take a strange voyage of its own..."
D-did you just combine all the Arthurian tales of Avalon with the semi-legendary Fortunate Isles and Papar Irish monks of Iceland and add a whole open-ended Land of Prester John thing for the New World with Algonquian grail maidens and Inuit vikings? In a passing reference in the epilogue?

You magnificent bastard- now I'll be forced to voraciously read any future stories you explore in this beautifully alive cosmos you've created! :V

D-did you just combine all the Arthurian tales of Avalon with the semi-legendary Fortunate Isles and Papar Irish monks of Iceland and add a whole open-ended Land of Prester John thing for the New World with Algonquian grail maidens and Inuit vikings? In a passing reference in the epilogue?

You magnificent bastard- now I'll be forced to voraciously read any future stories you explore in this beautifully alive cosmos you've created! :V

Let's just say Saint Brendan the Navigator and Prince Madoc found a lot more than just islands :V

If I ever write a sequel it will definitely be about the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Well that was a gripping read exploring a fascinating world. I look forward to your next project!

This was a gripping and eye-opening look into various overlooked aspects of the abrahamic mythos, glad to see it reach a satisfying conclusion

I remember there was one crossover way back on AH that crossed Covenant with Norse Mythology. So now I'm picturing that too be the new world they're talking about.

PDF Copy
Hey everyone, if you want to download a pdf version of Covenant for free it's available on my Patreon. It's essentially the SV version with better formatting and editing, but you also get your own copy for easy reading and preservation.

Link

And with that, we have a wrap on Covenant. Thanks to everyone who read, commented, and supported the project, and consider sending me some money on Patreon if you want to support my writing!

Back