Christianity at the Tip of a Blade - The Violence or Non-violence of Religion

Because there are several sections of the New Testament that proclaim the imminent end of all things. The modern church doesn't talk about them for obvious reasons, but the early church very much was an apocalyptic cult. It just got better... mostly.
There are several sections that can be interpreted as proclaiming the imminent end. Most of the ones used these days had very different meanings back then, and the early Church's expectation of an imminent end was more along the lines of them forgetting the 'a thousand years is but a moment to the Lord' stuff. Said expectation faded after about ten years or so.

Seems to be a mostly Christian problem. Islamist states seem to do it the other way around.
I think some of that has to do with the religious institutions that were behind those being better organized, and having more internal controls. That doesn't mean large religious institutions are above corruption and shit behavior, but I think one advantage they have is the centralization means they have the mechanisms to hypothetically to reform and clean house.

The Evangelical movement being such a low level folk movement in many ways makes it problematic to deal with toxic theology/trends without being challenged, like prosperity theology.

Mentions that God will accept us all in Heaven and that we don't need to worry about reaching Heaven because Jesus died for our sins? Every single service.
Your Catholic priest is a heretic, as only faith is not the way to salvation and we should worry about it so that we can do good works because doing good works is part of being a Catholic.
Edit: Also universalism could be a heresy, but not accepting that there are other ways to heaven than the earthly church is definitively a heresy. It is a bit complicated.

Last edited:
I don't believe in eternal damnation to a place of torture. That is another thing where a lot of opinions exist, but in the US you only hear the most extreme ones. Annihiliationism (belief that the wicked are destroyed) and universalism (also called apocatastasis, the belief all will eventually receive eternal life when they are ready) are both long standing currents in Christian thought.

That is a complex question, and the answer I am giving is not the only one accepted by Christians, but it is an ancient one and the one I believe.

Heaven isn't a reward for being good. That is made clear by the parable of the workers in the vineyard. If it were a reward, the one who had been there since dawn would get the most, and the one who came at the 11th hour would get a pittance. The prodigal son gets a feast and gifts for returning. A feast he shares as an equal with his faithful brother, who is told to be glad for his brother rather than resentful.

Salvation is about becoming the sort of being that could share eternal life with God. It is about becoming someone who could endure with joy the presence of the Uncreated Light.

We are by nature mortal. Everything dies. People, stars, worlds, universes. It is all in time, and it all ends. There is no fix for that from this side. No power exists that can render itself eternal. It is like building a house on sand, the foundations don't exist for anything in the created order to survive the end of the created order. There is a discontinuity between time (chronos) and eternity (kairos). The Syrian fathers poetically called it the River of Fire. And nothing temporal can cross it.

But we still have hope. We can't enter eternity on our own, but the eternal can come here. And by his life and death here, and the establishment of the sacraments, Christ made it possible for his eternal nature to be shared with us. To provide us with the possibility of escape from our personal deaths and the death of the universe. To partake of Christs nature, we must become like Christ. To share in the eternal love of God, we must evince that love.

The Syrian poets spoke of baptism as a "boat of water" that let them cross the River of Fire. By becoming eternal, we can cross into Eternity. But we have to transform ourselves. We won't be perfected over night. The more completely we can become mirrors of Christ's goodness in this world, the more of us that will be able to pass through the River of Fire and reach God intact. And so, we are given the tools, now we must work out our salvation with diligence.
I guess the main point of divergence between our views is belief in the absolute, in which you think the cosmos has a teleology for intelligent beings that may join them with eternal life, whereas I don't. The concept seems to break down at the eternity bit, which to me seems impossible. Structures have to be contingent, I think, and conversely the only absolute is nothing. Secondly I doubt the sureness of the teleological absolute being judeo-christian in form, were something like an absolute deity true.

I don't believe in anything (absolute), but nothing at all.

Non-naturalism, like the concept of an uncaused causer, just appears incoherent because of its sheer impossibility, and the paradoxes resulting from a distinct form holding non-contingency.

Conversely, anything existing at all is the biggest paradox, whereupon I must think of the probelm of anything coming from nothing. And really, of anything existing at all. But distinct anthropic or intelligent beings being unmoved and out of time, yet distinct and shaped, just doesn't make sense at all, and hence I don't believe it's true, and even possible.

Distinctly also, I think that meaning comes from people, rather than existing objectively in objects or with an origin outside of human experience. Teleology, I think, is generated as we displace intelligence into objects, shaping them into distinct forms ourselves, rather than being shaped by an intelligent supernatural cosmos that holds an objective plan.

Otherwise, I find value in religion from the anthropological and humanistic perspectives.

Last edited:
This counts. There's decent historical evidence that Jesus was roughly analogous to those nutjobs who run around with "the end of the world is nigh" signs. The only difference is that he had a good critique of the religious authorities of his day, and was lucky in the long term.

There isn't even decent historical evidence for Jesus, let alone what he was actually like. He mostly pops into existence in historical sources a hundred or so years after the fact.

Oh cool, I live in a culturally Christian society where the right to believe or not believe was won through pleasant negotiation and compromises and where the Church has historically been a great force for social progress up to and including support for homosexual marriage and homosexual clergy. In fact, amusingly the Church has often been more progressive than secular politicians have been.

Okay cool, maybe American Christianity is insane. I wouldn't know as I don't live there, but it doesn't match with the official stance of the Vatican, it doesn't match with the official stance of any of the Scandinavian churches, it doesn't match with the official stance of the Anglican church and it doesn't match with the official stance of any other church I know. This would be like claiming American liberalism to be an anti-gun terror cell because they make use of the fear people fear for guns and they are anti-guns, it's unfair cherry-picking and painting two billion people with the same brush even though those two billion people are so efficient at disagreeing with each other that they had a thirty years war that painted Germany redder than autumn leaves.

I'm not asking you to be a faithful Christian, I'm not even asking you to respect Christianity, literally all I'm asking is that you maybe not paint two billion people with the same brush and then go on and be inaccurate about it too.

American Christianity, is a lot like China. Not Chinese religion, but China it'self. We have a lot of denominations over here which are totally different from each other. Not just Catholic religion and Protestantism, but Protestantism and Protestantism, and Protestantism and Fringe, and Fringe and Fringe.

More than three quarters of Americans claim to be Christian, but it's a nominal status only. The crazies who take the Bible literally like me believe in the Rapture, (Pretribulation), believe in the literal atonement of Jesus Christ as the only way to get to Heaven, the Virginal birth of Mary, etcetera, but even I, an a substantial number of people with the same or similar beliefs don't treat homosexuals or bisexuals as trash like a lot of others. I'm just pointing it out, that in America, of all places, real hardcore homophobia seems to be dying out.

There isn't even decent historical evidence for Jesus, let alone what he was actually like. He mostly pops into existence in historical sources a hundred or so years after the fact.
I mean besides the gospels there's Josephus who mentions them offhand about 40 years after the fact? Also, duh, of course they aren't going to be mentioned when they're a small eastern mystery religion in the massive roman empire.

I think some of the apostles are proven to exist, so there is that. Also if I remember right, then there is a consensus among historians that someone like Paulus existed, and he met Jesus :D.

I mean besides the gospels there's Josephus who mentions them offhand about 40 years after the fact? Also, duh, of course they aren't going to be mentioned when they're a small eastern mystery religion in the massive roman empire.

Awkwardly, there is good reason for a religious rabble-rouser who got crucified at the request of the populace overriding the will of a Roman prefect to be mentioned in Roman records. Especially given the Roman military was used to do it and the near-riot conditions described.

Last edited:

Also the Senator and historian Tactius who was rather unimpressed when mention in the annuals. When it come right down to it Jesus was a historically very minor figure who the only reason any ancient historian like Josephus and Tactius even bothered to mention him was because of the cult that arose around him.

We aren't helped by the fact many roman records and histories like other ancient records were destroyed and lost over the millennia. There are many historical figures that get mentioned in ancient histories but honestly we know little to nothing about them them because often as not the histories and records that mention them are fragmentary and are often working off of sources that existed then but have been lost to the ages.

American Christianity, is a lot like China. Not Chinese religion, but China it'self. We have a lot of denominations over here which are totally different from each other. Not just Catholic religion and Protestantism, but Protestantism and Protestantism, and Protestantism and Fringe, and Fringe and Fringe.

More than three quarters of Americans claim to be Christian, but it's a nominal status only. The crazies who take the Bible literally like me believe in the Rapture, (Pretribulation), believe in the literal atonement of Jesus Christ as the only way to get to Heaven, the Virginal birth of Mary, etcetera, but even I, an a substantial number of people with the same or similar beliefs don't treat homosexuals or bisexuals as trash like a lot of others. I'm just pointing it out, that in America, of all places, real hardcore homophobia seems to be dying out.
I do have to ask: what makes you believe in the Rapture? There isn't actually any Biblical support for it, and most of what I've seen suggests it's something that American Protestantism sort of pulled out of their collective hindquarters. (I'll also note that literalism is also a recent development, and comes from the same source, but that's less of a mystery why people want to believe that)

Your Catholic priest is a heretic, as only faith is not the way to salvation and we should worry about it so that we can do good works because doing good works is part of being a Catholic.
Well, when I said "us", I meant people who are part of the Catholic Church. So not me, by definition. :V

And yes, that is absolutely accurate! On the other hand, God forgives us our sins even if we fail at being good. That's kind of a key thing that every Catholic priest I've ever heard give a sermon bang on about. I didn't suddenly hallucinate services in three different nations and spoken in three different languages, did I? Perhaps all Catholic priests I met are heretics. Mind, considering they were trying to be kind and nice, I find myself not giving a shit.

...Can I just say that I think it's hilarious that there are people that are trying to tell me what actual lived Christianity is like, when I've been visiting services for a long while now? Talk of "heresy" this and that...

Which experience is more valid? The one actually lived by people, or the ones that people think is happening?

Last edited:
"Apocalypse" doesn't mean "the end of the world". I think I made that sufficiently clear. It refers to a revelation of religious importance, and it's often applied to dreams or visions that impart religious knowledge. The famous Book of Revelations is just that, a revelation.

And you have apparently missed the millions of Christians that live lives and don't follow the doctrine you're trying to claim is inherent to Christianity today. I'll take "What does the term 'Ecumenism' in the Catholic and Protestant Churches denote?" for five hundred dollars, please.

Alternatively, if you know jack shit about Christian doctrine, don't try to peddle people nonsense about what my friends and colleagues believe as if it was hard fact. At best you're continuing to propagate libellous, harmful stereotypes that have hung around various religions for centuries; at worst you're negligently misinforming people and stoking or adding to their hatred of religious people that don't deserve it.
In English apocalypse literally does mean the end of the world. That is it's primary meaning.

From the dictionary.
a·poc·a·lypse
əˈpäkəˌlips/
noun
  1. 1.
    the complete final destruction of the world, especially as described in the biblical book of Revelation.

Which experience is more valid? The one actually lived by people, or the ones that people think is happening?
Probably more the former, but it can get pretty wildly different depending on what you're living through :V
:Citation Needed:

Nobody has asked you that yet, but it's long overdue.

At least have the decency of explaining what exactly your level of awareness is, so that people can judge and verify your claims accordingly.
Mostly pulling from memory of theology classes and personal pokeabouts over the years, really, rather than anything that'd be worth more of a damn to cite than what you'd find with a casual google search. If you're looking for some examples of the earlier stuff, this would probably manage a good kicking off point -- apologies for the wikipedia link, but I don't have nearly the gumption in me to go digging out what hard copies I have buried somewhere or hunt too much harder on this device before I put it or me through something fragile. Some of the early figures offering interpretations that lead to the sort of outlook in question.

Junk in the interim would take more effort than I got in me to collect and collate, though. It's been a few years since researching ground conditions of religious worship in times before decent records sounded anything but painful, heh. Will say it does look like armageddon bothering was less common than I recalled for the past-beginning-before-recently junk, with a good bit of die back somewhere in the 4th-ish century. Still, some nudging offers some neat stuff on medieval times, if you're interested in the junk that drove fervency for our forefathers.

And yes, that is absolutely accurate! On the other hand, God forgives us our sins even if we fail at being good. That's kind of a key thing that every Catholic priest I've ever heard give a sermon bang on about. I didn't suddenly hallucinate services in three different nations and spoken in three different languages, did I? Perhaps all Catholic priests I met are heretics. Mind, considering they were trying to be kind and nice, I find myself not giving a shit.
It is only important in the difference between other churches because normally it is implied that we will be good, but as seen with the people in the OP it is not always this clear.
Also, heresy is a problem, I know at least from some people who work with my bishop that they normally want to change priests every few years to not get people believing in heresy just because the priest always uses it in sermons.

In English apocalypse literally does mean the end of the world. That is it's primary meaning.

From the dictionary.
a·poc·a·lypse
əˈpäkəˌlips/
noun
  1. 1.
    the complete final destruction of the world, especially as described in the biblical book of Revelation.

Yes one defination in english though like many words in english it has several definitions. It also can refer to an event involving destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale and it also can simply mean any revelation or prophecy.

I do have to ask: what makes you believe in the Rapture? There isn't actually any Biblical support for it, and most of what I've seen suggests it's something that American Protestantism sort of pulled out of their collective hindquarters. (I'll also note that literalism is also a recent development, and comes from the same source, but that's less of a mystery why people want to believe that)

The Trinity is not explicitly named. It's a doctrine I believe in because of what I think certain passages mean. Also, much of the criticism against the Pre-Tribulation Rapture is bogus, so as a side effect of so much assumption and words shoved in mouth, it's a natural reaction to just recoil in annoyance and not listen.
American Protestantism didn't just develop this doctrine from Darbey, the Darbeyism thing is a red herring.

From the dictionary.
a·poc·a·lypse
əˈpäkəˌlips/
noun
  1. 1.

Yes, English stealing words from other languages and changing their meaning is a known phenomenon.

Awkwardly, there is good reason for a religious rabble-rouser who got crucified at the request of the populace overriding the will of a Roman prefect to be mentioned in Roman records. Especially given the Roman military was used to do it and the near-riot conditions described.

You would, of course, be able to provide other instances of Romans keeping records of executions in border provinces? Since of course it would only be unusual for Romans to not keep records if they normally did so.

The idea that Christianity is "exclusive" is baffling to me considering the reason why Christianity (and by that extension Islam) was able to spread so quickly was because it was so attractive to the low rungs of society. Who were the earliest Christians? The poor, the slaves and the desperate.

Seriously @Frumple @Hendryk, can you guys not paint two billion people like this? It's stupid when it's done to Muslims and it's equally stupid when it's done to Christians.

There is a difference, hence why I said a "little difference" instead of "no different" or something to that effect. The problem is that the saved do not suffer this fate, in which case this is little different then God just killing the unsaved... regardless of whether the reason that person is considered unsaved is actually worthy of death. It also presents the question of why God bothers to wait until the afterlife when he can inflict that punishment at the moment with which that person passes the point of no return (or why he bothers at all when his omniscience renders him already coignizant of what that person will do, but I'll leave that aside for now since it sends us down the path to predestination).

Why are they necessary then?

Because...?

Purgatory is indeed a good step towards a incremental punishment but the fact that it still involves suffering is still morally problematic. Good and effective modern prison systems do not torture their inmates to reform them.

If paradise is experienced as suffering to those not reconciled to God (whatever that term means), then the fault is pretty clearly on God's part given that paradise is supposed to be a place free of suffering and his omnipotence easily gives him the means to ensure that. That's criminal negligence that is.

In fact, since we're on the subject of, I do need to inquire: do you believe people who achieve paradise have free will in paradise?
There is a whole lot here and I don't want to engage in spaghetti posting. Let me say that I think we are not communicating well because you are asking these questions from the perspective of treating receiving eternal life like a reward and the failure to receive it as a punishment, which is contrary to the position I explained before. Any questioned based on that assumption is one I won't have an answer for, because I think it is wrong.

I'm also not a universalist and have my own criticisms of their positions, but I did want to represent them fairly, because they represent a large and ancient group of Christian believers. I will point out that "suffering" is very rarely interpreted as physical pain by universalists, but as sadness or shame resulting from being in a state of sin in the presence of perfection and grace. And the reconciliation comes from giving up the elements of one's nature that are in conflict with the divine, like selfishness and hatred.

The idea that the soul is immortal and naturally has to exist forever unless it is actively destroyed is Neo-Platonist philosophy, and not something I believe. We are native to this universe where things die. God has opened the way to eternal life. He has done for us what we cannot do for ourselves. Gaining that eternal life requires synergos, literally working together, with God to transform our nature. We do this by partaking in Christ's eternal nature, which was made available to us by his incarnation, death, and resurrection in our world, and which is attained by the sacraments and by acts of holiness. God grants us all that we are able to receive, it is our work to be able to receive what He would give us. That is our cooperation in our salvation.

As to the question about free will, I don't pretend to understand what the nature of existence in the presence of God is like and wouldn't like to speculate.

Conversely, anything existing at all is the biggest paradox, whereupon I must think of the probelm of anything coming from nothing. And really, of anything existing at all. But distinct anthropic or intelligent beings being unmoved and out of time, yet distinct and shaped, just doesn't make sense at all, and hence I don't believe it's true, and even possible.
We are always limited when trying to describe God. There is a way of talking about God called apophasis, where you describe only things God is not, because God's positive traits are necessarily limited by using human terms. God is not finite, not old or young, not big or small. But to say God is good or God is truthful is going to necessarily fall short of accuracy, just because the human conceptions behind those words don't stretch far enough to cover the divine. So God is not particularly anthropic. (Although we certainly talk about Him that way for simplicity's sake. Even saying "He" is because there isn't a God-specific pronoun, not because God is a man, or a masculine spirit or something.)

Orthodox theologians describe God as truly unchanging. He is outside of time and possesses his entire nature at all times. He doesn't react to this thing and then that thing because all history is spread out before Him. His knowledge is complete, not because He has a birds eye view of creation, but because all potential and actual states of being are grounded within Him. He responds to us continuously in one way, with divine love. God has no need of anything outside Himself. He has no need of us. We and our worlds exist for their own sake, and his interaction with us is for our sake.

I am not trying to convince you to adopt this view, just to point out that the idea that God must be very, very strange and unlike us is something theologians and mystics have been grappling with since the beginning.

Last edited:
You would, of course, be able to provide other instances of Romans keeping records of executions in border provinces? Since of course it would only be unusual for Romans to not keep records if they normally did so.

Considering you've disingenuously decided to frame the question differently from what was noted (specifically the totality of circumstances), it's worth pointing out we have two commentaries on Pilate's run as Prefect of Judea from Philo and Josephus that would both argue the story in the gospels is somewhat implausible, simply because Pilate never acted with respect to the Jews and would not have bowed to their will this way. Philo in particular describes him as vindictive and inflexible, and Josephus makes notes of several incidents similar to those proceeding the crucifixion, but the one that directly references Jesus is considered of dubious authenticity at best; the indirect reference to "James, brother of Jesus, who was called Christ" on the other hand is probably real, but doesn't reference anything like the crucifixion story.

Last edited:
By the by, if anyone feels like getting an insight into what the mindset in the OP is, let me recommend demonbusters.com. Warning: LOUD autoplaying music. Full of madness, paranoia, and good old web 1.0 design. I particularly recommend their articles on the demonic dangers posed by candles and paisley. These folks are a touch more around the bend than the guys in the OP, but not a whole lot.

Considering you've disingenuously decided to frame the question differently from what was noted (specifically the totality of circumstances), it's worth pointing out we have two commentaries on Pilate's run as Prefect of Judea from Philo and Josephus that would both argue the story in the gospels is somewhat implausible, simply because Pilate never acted with respect to the Jews and would not have bowed to their will this way. Philo in particular describes him as vindictive and inflexible, and Josephus makes notes of several incidents similar to those proceeding the crucifixion, but the one that directly references Jesus is considered of dubious authenticity at best; the indirect reference to "James, brother of Jesus, who was called Christ" on the other hand is probably real.

I apologize. I misunderstood your point. I read it as a declaration that there was no possibility of an execution not getting recorded and focused on that. The focus on the circumstance (that is would be odd if Pilate being overridden in his decision, and even odder if Josephus didn't record it given his focus on Roman-Jewish tension), is fair, and I won't disagree with that.

Yes one defination in english though like many words in english it has several definitions. It also can refer to an event involving destruction or damage on an awesome or catastrophic scale and it also can simply mean any revelation or prophecy.
Yes, English stealing words from other languages and changing their meaning is a known phenomenon.
Yes and Fern was clearly either deliberatly misleading or mistaken when he insisted, repeatedly, that it didn't mean the end of the world.

Given I know English isn't his native language I thought I would let him know that that is not only a valid use of the word, but rather the primary and accepted use of the word in English.

Back