Balance Stats
❁ • Work / Life • ❁
❁ • ❁ Warrior / Princess ❁ • ❁
❁ • ❁ Radical / Respectable ❁ • ❁

Tactical Stats
Gunnery 0, Navigation +2, Command +2, Technology -4, Personal -2, Strategy +3

Stress: 3

PLEASE READ THE QUEST RULES BELOW

You collectively vote on the actions of Arisukawa Haruna, the first woman to serve openly in the Imperial Akitsukuni Navy.

This quest is set in a universe which is much like our own circa 1910, but with different politics, cultural norms, and ideas about gender and sexuality, as well as some unusual and advanced technology in places.

We are using this quest to explore themes like breaking the glass ceiling, divergent outlooks on gender and sexuality, colonialism and imperialism, and the place of royalty.

Content Warning
This quest goes some dark places.

There is violence, often explicit, often unfair, often against undeserving targets.

There are not always good options forward. The protagonist is not necessarily a good person.

There is implied content and discussion of sexual harassment and assault.

This is a world where people are often racist, sexist, queerphobic bigots. Sometimes, even the PC and the people they are friends with.

Voting Rules

We will tell you if write-in votes are allowed. If we do not say that write-ins are allowed, they are not. This is to prevent people from unrealistically hedging their bets.

You may proposal other options in a non-vote format, subject to approval, on non write-in votes.

We will tell you when a vote allows approved voting. If we don't say the answer is no, pick an option. We like making people commit.

Discussions makes the GM feel fuzzy.

Game Rules
When we ask you for a roll, roll 3d6. You are aiming to roll equal or under the value of your stat. If you succeed, Haruna gets through the situation with no real difficulties. If you roll above the target value, Haruna will still succeed, but this success will cost her something or add a complication.

Whenever Haruna loses something or faces hardship from a botched roll, she takes Stress. The more Stress Haruna has, the more the job and the circumstances she's in will get to her, and it'll be reflected in the narrative. Haruna must be kept under 10 Stress: if she reaches 10 Stress, she will suffer a breakdown and the results will not be great for her.

Haruna loses stress by taking time for herself, by making meaningful progress on her dreams, and by kissing tall, beautiful women.

Meta Rules
Author commentary is in italics so you know it's not story stuff.

Please don't complain about the system or the fact we have to roll dice. We've heard it before, we've heard it a thousand times across multiple quests. We're not going to change it, and it wears at our fucking souls.

Just going "oh noooo" or "Fish RNGesus Why!" is fun and fine. Complaining at length because you didn't get what you want less so.

If you have a question, tag both @open_sketchbook and @Artificial Girl. If you only tag one of us, you will be ignored. Seriously, we both write this quest.

And yes this is an alt-history type setting with openly gay and trans people, ahistoric medicine, and weird politics. Just... deal, please?

This quest employs a special system called Snippet Votes. Please read this post for more information.

Last edited:
I'm worried about what will happen with Lucchesi. I wonder if this would have happened if we'd shot the gunman. Probably not if we'd done nothing. On the other hand, we'll probably get some sort of recognition from the Otrisians for this; hopefully that'll give us another chance with another target if we can't make things up with her.

[x] Breach all the security protocols and rules you're supposed to follow and tell her the truth about your mission.
-[x] At least try to pull Aiko off to the side where nobody should be able to hear, and absolutely tell her in Akitsukuni.

Fixed oh noooooooooooooooo
I had honestly thought it was an intentional way to display her disorientation.

Last edited:
[X] Breach all the security protocols and rules you're supposed to follow and tell her the truth about your mission.

[X] Absolutely nothing. Now is not the time for heroics. This isn't even your country.

More importantly than this, is that there are politics involved. Another country's politics. Yeah this guy is shooting up an unarmed crowd, but for all you know he's doing so as a member of a wildly popular counter-revolutionary force that would take Akitsukuni involvement very poorly.

How damning is thi? I'm pretty sure some European cultures do platonic kisses on the lips. On the other hand, these two ladies are from a famously queer archipelago, so... pretty damning.

As for the vote, I don't think she could fool Aiko, but I also don't want to dump state secrets on her when she's about to be grilled by the cops.

[X] Absolutely nothing. Now is not the time for heroics. This isn't even your country.

More importantly than this, is that there are politics involved. Another country's politics. Yeah this guy is shooting up an unarmed crowd, but for all you know he's doing so as a member of a wildly popular counter-revolutionary force that would take Akitsukuni involvement very poorly.
Kinda a post late on that front, mate

How damning is thi? I'm pretty sure some European cultures do platonic kisses on the lips. On the other hand, these two ladies are from a famously queer archipelago, so... pretty damning.

As for the vote, I don't think she could fool Aiko, but I also don't want to dump state secrets on her when she's about to be grilled by the cops.

I was under the impression that Europans generally found the depth and formal recognition of friendships among Akitsukuni remarkable. People don't tend to see what they aren't prepared to look for.

Honestly, worth her reaction for that scene with Aiko. Haruna is just so effortlessly badass that she definitely deserved that kiss.

[x] Breach all the security protocols and rules you're supposed to follow and tell her the truth about your mission.
-[x] At least try to pull Aiko off to the side where nobody should be able to hear, and absolutely tell her in Akitsukuni.

Wait she's mad about us being gay? Why?
Some people are just homophobes, and this is far from our more accepting homeland.

[X] Breach all the security protocols and rules you're supposed to follow and tell her the truth about your mission.

In Akitsukuni only, something as short as possible, like 'Gov't business, my love, explain later' and off we sprint.
But subtle sprint, since we're a spy dontchaknow.

This is before spycraft really developed, anyhow. I wonder what the equivalent of the OSS is going to be in Gaia.

Holy shit, Haruna actually owns?

-[X] Scream it aloud it Otrusian, so everybody can heard it.

Seems like a solid plan.

-[x] At least try to pull Aiko off to the side where nobody should be able to hear.

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of just saying, "I'm sorry, but I won't answer that question.", instead of lying.
Like, Aiko knows you're in the military and royal family, and you are totally in love with her, so if you're straight up refusing her, one of those two memberships is in play, and she's mature enough to handle that with a minimum of hurt feelings.

Yeah the mission to pump Lucchesi is a lost cause.

[X] Quietly say something to the equivalent of "Not now; later." and focus on the situation at hand. At a suitable "later", do tell her enough to clear up her confusion and satisfy her trust, but no more.

Voting is open
Back