Bad Media That You Enjoy

You know, I have to wonder, how many of the issues with the story would be fixed by setting it all from the demons' point of view?

- Proper introduction to the story. Instead of a fighter pilot saying "balls", the intrusion of a long explanation of AESA RADAR, and the rapid killing of several demons with supposed diplomatic immunity... we could have had Michael arriving through the Heavengate as the guard demons all tense up, wondering if this is a social call or the beginning of the attack they've been expecting for millennia. Then he gives them the message that they're to take Earth because Yahweh no longer tolerates it. Then he leaves. We learn exactly what's going on, what the premise of the story will be, all in a single scene without any pointless exposition.
- Actual tension. We're seeing through the eyes of the people who are going up against this huge threat that it doesn't seem possible to defeat. When the demons come up with plans, they never go without a hitch like it does for the humans. Rather than us knowing that the humans are heartless buggers who can kill millions of demons without a care (which we know from the fact that we're told this by the story), that would only be the impression given as the demons go up against war machines and any soldiers they do see are usually in the distance.
- Wipes out the technobabble (no matter how accurate to real life said technobabble is) because the POV characters don't know any of it.
- Removes the "we know who is going to win 10% of the way in" issue, or at least inverts it - we'll be following the efforts of people who know they're going to lose past 10% of the way in.
- Gives an opportunity to better explain why the demons have such poor intel on the humans.

- Proper introduction to the story. Instead of a fighter pilot saying "balls", the intrusion of a long explanation of AESA RADAR, and the rapid killing of several demons with supposed diplomatic immunity... we could have had Michael arriving through the Heavengate as the guard demons all tense up, wondering if this is a social call or the beginning of the attack they've been expecting for millennia. Then he gives them the message that they're to take Earth because Yahweh no longer tolerates it. Then he leaves. We learn exactly what's going on, what the premise of the story will be, all in a single scene without any pointless exposition.
I actually liked a bit that it begins in the middle of events. It reminded me of a weird disaster movie that started with evacuations of cities and scientists trying to predict where fault line will go.

- Gives an opportunity to better explain why the demons have such poor intel on the humans.
Yes, that was weird. But the demons already had lightning guns and dragons, so maybe they thought that any human weapon is insignificant. One of the biggest strengths of the human armies was that lightning guns don't work on anything with a metal frame.

The Nathan Drake games. They're crappy Indiana Jones knockoffs and, of the three I've played, two of them have the exact same romantic subplot and none of them depict Drake actually in a relationship. All the mystic crap is very hamfistedly 'or is it?'-ed to maintain... something. I guess the same status quo that has Drake single. The combat is more tedious than challenging and the puzzle controls are finicky. Yet I like 'em. They're videogame popcorn flicks for anybody in the mood for schlock Indiana Jones shenanigans.

So, recently started watching the first season of Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix. I'm 7 episodes in and, although the theme song is shit and the hunts of hfy Are beyond irritating, I'm actually rather liking it. It does feel like humanity is actually going out into the stars for the first time and taking in all the wonders there is, struggling in trying to start out in a new world. And all the actors are actually pretty good, so far. The episodes... Well,the one with the Vulcan "Monastery" was shit, but otherwise, not bad.

Although, yeah, I am going to skip some certain episodes for obvious reasons, and probably skip ahead to Season 3 a some point (probabky after I skip ahead to the Borg episode), where the show started going from "Bad" to "Hey, this is actually kinda good!" Territory in the fandoms eyes.

So, recently started watching the first season of Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix. I'm 7 episodes in and, although the theme song is shit and the hunts of hfy Are beyond irritating, I'm actually rather liking it. It does feel like humanity is actually going out into the stars for the first time and taking in all the wonders there is, struggling in trying to start out in a new world. And all the actors are actually pretty good, so far. The episodes... Well,the one with the Vulcan "Monastery" was shit, but otherwise, not bad.

Although, yeah, I am going to skip some certain episodes for obvious reasons, and probably skip ahead to Season 3 a some point (probabky after I skip ahead to the Borg episode), where the show started going from "Bad" to "Hey, this is actually kinda good!" Territory in the fandoms eyes.
I liked the Xindi arc. Everything before and after that didn't interest me much.

Sword and sorcery from the 1980s and 1990s. Beastmaster, Krull and similar.

Star Wars knockoffs.
Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) - IMDb
The Ice Pirates (1984) - IMDb (parody)
Starcrash (1978) - IMDb (this one even has a lightsaber and a character with Jedi-like powers!)
The Last Starfighter (1984) - IMDb

The Salvation War.

Mad Max knockoffs from the 1980s and 1990s. I have seen a few but don't remember the titles.

I don't think that Divergent counts as bad media.

Another Ice Pirates fan?

Glad to know I'm not alone out here.

CW superhero series. Arrow and Supergirl, specifically — not bad per se, but boy do they have a lot of problems. Didn't get to Flash, but I heard it's better than the others and I always had the habit to start from the shittiiest parts of franchises. :V

Like, I enjoy superhero series that don't go full grimdark (looking at you, Netflix), and at the same time I enjoy poking at plotholes and silly things just as much. I even made a doc. where I write down jokes about all the stupid stuff, CinemaSins-style.

*looks back, notices comments about CinemaSins*

I swear, I'm actually pretty funny.

Last edited:
CW superhero series. Arrow and Supergirl, specifically. Didn't get to Flash, but I heard it's better than the others and I always had the habit to start from the shittiiest parts of franchises. :V
Flash is better, but that ain't exactly an Olympic high jump recommendation. All plots are solved by a handwave and a spritz of dramatic music, even when they don't just involve Flash running faster, and going full comic book with it seems to have led to a total loss of logic somewhere along the way going by some of the stuff that happens. Like freezing lasers.

Though what's especially aggravating is that they appear to have gone three for three on Flash archvillains who just have the Flash's powers but in evil colors. I bet #3 will pretend to be a good guy too. At least Arrow hasn't had every last archvillain as an archer. (As someone on Reddit put it, "My name is Barry Allen, and I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I'm, like, the 8th or 9th fastest man alive.")

Still, Flash is kind of adorably dumb. Like an enthusiastic puppy with brain damage.

Like, I enjoy superhero series that don't go full grimdark (looking at you, Netflix)
Speaking of Jessica Jones or Daredevil? Jones is too rich for me, but I really should have expected that. I've read Alias. Daredevil, though, is a wonderful balance of dark IMO. I wouldn't really call it grimdark, and if you do I'm curious as to why.

Last edited:
Speaking of Jessica Jones or Daredevil? Jones is too rich for me, but I really should have expected that. I've read Alias. Daredevil, though, is a wonderful balance of dark IMO. I wouldn't really call it grimdark, and if you do I'm curious as to why.

Both. JJ became grimdark after Killgrave's ways of escaping became really contrived and he kept murdering people left, right and down. Daredevil hit it with Wilson Fisk coming back to business and, surprisingly enough, ninjas. Punisher's story was the best on show until the ending, which is another can of stupid.

Man, I really want to start a CinemaSins knockoff channel. That way I can complain and earn money at the same time!

seems to have led to a total loss of logic somewhere along the way going by some of the stuff that happens. Like freezing lasers.

Hey, this is the same setting where Batman lives, bullshit tech is a minor inconvenience in my eyes.

Last edited:
Both. JJ became grimdark after Killgrave's ways of escaping became really contrived and he kept murdering people left, right and down. Daredevil hit it with Wilson Fisk coming back to business and, surprisingly enough, ninjas. Punisher's story was the best on show until the ending, which is another can of stupid.
Cohesive enough rationale, I suppose. Different strokes for different folks.
Hey, this is the same setting where Batman lives, bullshit tech is a minor inconvenience in my eyes.
Oh, if it was just tech being stupid I wouldn't really have a problem. I'd just type Speed Force memes with a disturbing amount of capital letters. But pretty much every power or supertech interacts on the whim of Plot rather than any cohesive anything. Take Flash learning to make afterimages/"Speed Mirages". He did that to beat a chick with light powers, because when they'd fought before she'd done an AOE attack that knocked him on his ass. How, exactly, does appearing to be in more than one place beat someone who can attack all the places? Fucked if I know, but the plot decreed it so she didn't pull that shite again. And there are a lot of instances like this where the hand of Plot comes down to end or extend the episode, as well as a downright ridiculous number of repetitions of 'Run, Barry, Run' that I'm supposed to buy as dramatic. It worked in S1 in no small part because almost every time anybody was saying it was Dr. Wells, who is like my favorite character of any live-action superhero show and came with all sorts of lovely undertones. That's not exactly the case in S2, and even in S1 it had pretty much been run into the ground.

Yes, that was weird. But the demons already had lightning guns and dragons, so maybe they thought that any human weapon is insignificant. One of the biggest strengths of the human armies was that lightning guns don't work on anything with a metal frame.
As has been commented elsewhere, excusing the demons' bad intel with "they thought they were still more powerful" is kind of lazy writing, and doesn't mesh well with the idea that demons tell humans to go on shooting sprees. Yes, the author explains that they only implant the idea of killing in the human's mind, but why would the demon not want to sit back and watch what the human does to follow through on that?

Perhaps a better explanation is that they feared being killed for telling anyone about it. We see multiple times that messengers who bring bad news are killed and eaten. Any demons that see humans using guns have the chance of not telling anyone because of that. The ones that do tell someone may get eaten for it. The one they tell has a high chance of getting eaten if they tell their superior, and they'd know that.

So intel on humans ends up being terrible because it all gets strangled at the bottom ranks. Even then, you could still have demons like Belial putting more stock in it and starting a secret weapons programme (it would have to be, demon factions that come up with tech advantages tend to get mobbed by everyone, apparently. This system was supposedly set up by Satan so no one would usurp him like he did to Yahweh.)

If you write it from the demons' perspective, then having one of their leaders reveal they can build human weapons would be a big Hope Spot for them.

Last edited:
Generalissimo can enjoy brief musical career of Eddie Murphy.

Behold the wonder and spectacle of Party All The Time guest staring Rick James.
It's not good but I still adore it anyway.

Party all the time
party all the time
My girl wants to party all the time
Party all the time
She parties all the time party all the time
She likes to party all the time party all the time
Party all the time she likes to party all the time
Party all the time

Last edited:
I love trashy sci fi. Especially trashy military sci-fi, where the space sailors act like either the Napoleonic Royal Navy or the 1970s USN. The only infantry allowed are Marines, who are hilariously exaggerated caricatures of the USMC. The good guys always think of some laughably simple new technology or tactic that is obvious to anybody who's ever read anything about military history, but that the professional soldiers thousands of years in the future didn't think of.

I personally also like some of those cheesy shorts from the 50's on, mostly in riffed form. Like say...stuff like this:

And yes, I really enjoy what I've seen of these guys and will keep recommending Incognito Cinema Warriors XP to people.

Hm, Gundam SEED is something I enjoy even if it became a fucking soapbox of the author a good half/quarter way in...

Aerosmith Revolution X wasn't particularly good but I love it anyway. It's totally 1990's in most radical way possible dudes.

Aerosmith Revolution X wasn't particularly good but I love it anyway. It's totally 1990's in most radical way possible dudes.
"Music is the weapon" Uh no I think guns are. There's guns for controllers but no guitars or tambourines. Unless they're just sending us out there with outdated weapons. Or maybe we need to make music with the guns, like make a beat out of shooting metal cans and tapping things with empty magazines.

"Music is the weapon" Uh no I think guns are. There's guns for controllers but no guitars or tambourines. Unless they're just sending us out there with outdated weapons. Or maybe we need to make music with the guns, like make a beat out of shooting metal cans and tapping things with empty magazines.
Aerosmith's music can, however, provide rocking power ups.
Technically speaking "Music Augments The Weapon" would be more accurate.
Aerosmith leading a resistance movement whose legitimacy stems from their musical talents.
"Music Is The Weapon" is a metaphor of liberating Aerosmith to free mankind?

Back