Bad Ads Reporting Thread

Windows 10 laptop
United States
Edge

I can't provide a link. Right-click doesn't bring up a destination, and even clicking into the ad itself doesn't actually do anything. It's a WNBA 'presented by Google' ad that cannot be closed, only offering a minimize button, only shows up (so far) on the main page but is showing up consistently since half an hour ago, and does not go into any of the proper ad slots but instead is eating the bottom of the screen. And it's a video ad, which my understanding is SV does not want those.
I've been having essentially the same problem with a Windows 11 laptop on Edge. The WNBA ad is really, REALLY persistent and aggressive, sometimes requiring multiple clicks to get it to stop blocking the whole screen and/or making on-screen links unclickable.

EDIT:

Importantly, it pops up for me whenever I'm on the front page or the Alerts screen, and more importantly still, it comes back when I minimize it. It doesn't go away reliably for more than about 5-10 seconds at a time.

Last edited:
Can we get some clarification on whether this giant WNBA ad is "working as intended" from the point of view of the staff or not? Because it's really annoying to see it every time I go to the main page or refresh the alerts page, and just in the past hour or so it's started doing that thing where it swells up to cover my entire browser window again.

the WNBA ad that I see other people have mentioned also does its thing multiple times, and prevents the mouse from clicking anywhere on the page while it's doing it.

(It does have a close button, which shows up only *after* you've clicked the 'minimize' button - which incidentally *also* can't be clicked while the weird sidebar things are happening)

EDIT: right click doesn't seem to do anything [probably because it's using mouse click events instead of a proper link destination] but clicking for me opens WNBA - Women's National Basketball Association Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors in a new tab.

EDIT2: that's "ht tps://w ww.espn.c om/w nba/", i don't know how to make a URL visible without being replaced with the page title

Last edited:
Can we get some clarification on whether this giant WNBA ad is "working as intended" from the point of view of the staff or not?

We don't have input on individual ads nor do we have any particular ability to even see the same ads that you do, as they are served to each user by Google. That's why we ask for screenshots: as I live in Australia I get served a completely different selection of ads from users in Europe or the US, and there isn't even any guarantee that I would see the same ads as someone else in Australia.

Windows 11
USA
Chrome

Another complaint about the WNBA ad, the whole site totally freezes when the ad is playing, can't scroll, click links, or open alerts. Also has been popping up randomly in threads in addition to the main page for me.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Tl6PpEo

Essentially this is the kind of thing I've been seeing, except when it's hulking out and covering up the entire page screen, yes.

Windows 11
USA
Chrome

Another ad doing the same things as the previously mentioned WNBA ad, this one for Hi-Chew candies having some Halloween Sale or something. It doesn't link to anything, even if you click it. But it does the same overlay as the WNBA ad, including seemingly sliding 'behind' the things on screen. Text and buttons will cover the ad, but it literally covers everything else.

Tried to get a screenshot but now it won't trigger for some reason, but there for a bit it was being obnoxiously aggressive.

Edit: Got a Screenshot.

View: https://imgur.com/dFNCied

Last edited:
Android Mobile
Just got an ad for a cruise (Ovation of the Seas) on the bottom of the screen. Would not close when hitting the X even after the timer ran out.

Back