Athene Watches Star Trek Enterprise: How To Get Away With Franchise Murder

Athene

Rise for the Shadow Queen
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm back on my Star Trek Bullshit again, as part of my "finish all the things I was too broken to complete" kick. While I got a decent amount of posts into the project before, I didn't even remotely come close to even finishing the first season much less get to the rest of the show. It came at a point that I had absolutely broken myself as a human being and had to take a leave of absence, right before Covid-19 plowed through everything. Feels important to me to get back to work on this as part of the whole "Soul Restoration" process. So I'm going to post somewhat "remastered" versions of the originals and then continue on from there.

But you may be asking "Why Enterprise?" and the answer is: It sucks. Its the farthest from my Spherical Star Trek which is idealistic and forward thinking and is instead regressive, small minded, mean spirited and petty. It was so bad and badly received that it killed Star Trek on TV for- Oh no wait, Star Trek never really returned to TV huh? It went streaming only with the new shows, so it was truly the end of Television Star Trek as we knew it. Heck, it was so bad they felt they had to hard and soft reboot the entire thing to move forward as a franchise and even then we didn't get Episodic Star Trek for 12 years after the show dragged itself across the finish line, ending an 18 year run started by TNG.

I cannot begin to explain how regressive this show is and how in every possible metric it is a huge step backwards in everything that had come before it. The show writers clearly have a number of biases incompatible with the utopian ideals of Star Trek or even a darker, more nuanced take like Deep Space 9. They're just shit, you know?

Anyway, on with the show I guess. First up, way too many words about the Pilot and the cast of characters.

Remastered: Dramatis Personae
Faces of Failure, the cast of Star Trek Enterprise.

Captain Jonathan Archer:
An angry white man who yells at people of different races and cultures. His initial characterization is mostly "Angry Space Racist" but that's not considered a flaw in this Star Trek. Here, its a strength, because the Vulcans really are out to stab you in the back. Fear and distrust Vulcans, intellectuals or people who ask you to keep your dog on a leash! The show makes pains through the Temporal Cold War arc to inform us that all of Star Trek's future depends on him and he's the most important person ever, while he's one step away from starting a podcast about how Vulcans are teaching human kids Critical Race Theory (Vulcan). The other core part of his personality, is that he's an unhinged weirdo who is a threat to himself and others, driven by daddy issues and racism to be an absolute Ahab of a captain. In any sane universe, he wouldn't be the assistant manager of a Kinkos much less the captain of the Starship Enterprise. They need to tattoo "Don't" on the palm of his hand as a handy guide for him and "No seriously, stop" on the back as a failsafe. He throws himself into his own idiocy with reckless abandon, and he'll chase failure around perdition's flames. He's so dependably stupid that a constant well of episode ideas was just him trying to fix his own fuck ups while pretending everyone else was to blame. He has the command presence of a sweaty step dad trying to be cool and the diplomacy skills of a Raccoon on acid in a disco.

Porthos: The captain's dog. He has more characterization, backstory and personality than at least 3 of the main cast. He's dopey looking and cute and has no business being on a Starship. Archer blithely risks his life all the time, feeds him cheese (BAD ARCHER) and he probably has more lines than Mayweather. At least he's not Hoshi though. He doesn't have an official rank, so I am going to just say he's a Chief Puppy Officer, because I can be lame like that if I want to be.

Hoshi Sato: I'm putting her this high up so I remember to actually include her. She's terrible at everything that isn't linguistics, afraid of life itself, and only exists to be terrible at things and cry. She's naturally put on the front line all the god damn time, and one of the first people on any planet. The animal she chooses to identify with is a pathetic slug they leave on a random ass planet to die as part of a stupid metaphor out of someone's high school writing class. She's what people who are against women in combat think a woman would be like in a crisis. Oh and she's not actually good at linguistics, so what the hell is the point? They couldn't bother to keep writing linguistics into the plot and just backgrounded all that shit, replacing her with a computer the first chance they got. She'd be more useful if they managed to create a starship that ran on crying and failure.

Ensign Travis Mayweather: The most experienced member of the crew, a literal born spacer. He's spent his whole life among the stars and has the most experience with alien cultures, space travel and space survival. They run out of material quickly though and he becomes set dressing faster than Hoshi can develop a new phobia or Archer can come up with new Vulcan-Anon conspiracies. I honestly think the writers forgot about him every episode until the actor showed up at every table read and they were like "Oh...fuck, right, there's a helmsman." He's frequently injured or killed as a result, because dead men need no lines. He has amazing sexual chemistry with Malcolm Reed but this show is too homophobic to go there.

Lt Malcolm Reed: Everyone else is in a bog standard scifi show, while Malcolm Reed stars in a spaceborne version of Office Space. Every day of his life must be worse than the day before. Every reasonable suggestion denied, every reasonable precaution mocked, every avoidable tragedy plowed into. Captain Archer gets captured so many times that he gets a punch card from his captors good for a free sub during the 20th hostage crisis, yet calls Reed paranoid for suggesting more personal security. One time, Archer yells at him for 2 minutes straight when Reed suggests caution. Archer of course gets captured immediately and the whole ship almost gets sold into slavery. Whoopsie. They won't even let Reed do basic maintenance on his weapons but will give him shit for them not working right. Every moment of this man's life is a Kafka esque cringe comedy, someone help him for god's sake.

Dr Phlox: At Warp 5, you can outrun a lot of malpractice suits. Probably the worst doctor ever assigned to a Starfleet ship. Oh sure, plot contrivance means that he always manages to bullshit his way through every ailment or wound that comes his way. He'll fix what your scientists have spent a hundred years on in five hours, but he has zero ethics, zero care for informed consent and oh right, the genocide. He did a genocide once. For science. FOR EVOLUTION. I work in a medical setting and I just can't believe his shit. He doesn't write discharge instructions and so one of his patients didn't know he wasn't going to be able to process normal food for a couple days. What an asshole. He's still one of the best characters on the show because he's allowed to have a personality and isn't openly racist despite being guilty of genocide. That's the bar we're at here folks, the guy who commits mega genocide because of his belief in Space Eugenics is the progressive member of the crew.

Commander Charles "Trip" Tucker III : He's basically just Archer but played better. He actually has a command presence and can hold his own more believably in a conflict with aliens, making you wonder why he's not the Captain instead. He's just as racist but he actually gets development and becomes a way better character than Archer, who is just a terrible friend to him. He might be the only character to get meaningful development but he's stuck in the engine room of a Warp Five Lemon. Also he gets knocked up one episode and acts all womanly as a joke. The only joke of course is this show and the punchline is "STAR TREK!" like its the Aristocrats.

Subcommander T'Pol: Her character arc is for her to overcome her character flaws and her character flaws are "Being Vulcan". Eventually she becomes One of the Good Ones, but she has a long way to go. She's a complete bitch to everyone at first but she's also right about shit all the time. Which is an accomplishment, since she exists to be wrong about things, but she's really trying to explain the basics of not hurting your dumb ass. Most episodes go like this: Humanity yells that its a grown ass race that can make its own decisions then tries to see if it can swallow a hockey puck whole. "That's a bad idea, hockey pucks are not for eating." says T'Pol arrogantly. "You're always holding us back with your rules, and your regulations and your LOGIC" yells Humanity before it gets the puck stuck in its esophagus.

There it is, there's our trusty crew. This is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Remastered: Broken Bow Part 1
A pilot really establishes what you want to do with your show. Its not necessarily indicative of the final direction you will go in, but it acts as a pitch and a thesis statement. With Broken Bow, Enterprise said "How about some racism, fightin' and some big old alien tiddies". Its an appeal to the lowest common denominator, and it can't even back up its mediocre promises. There will be no high minded ideals. There will be no thrills. There will be cheap alien strip clubs that harm the actors making the show, and an actor well outside his prime trying to be a low rent action hero. This has been done better. All of this had been done better. Star Trek had found itself with plenty of competition and it had fallen behind all of it with Enterprise. Inferior to its predecessors, inferior to its competitors, desperate for any low brow way to put asses in seats.

Maybe blowing all that money on a corn silo explosion was a bad move? Maybe all of this was a bad move? Maybe you should have just thrown this shit in the trash and never looked back?

The show opens with a Klingon crashing in Broken Bow Oklahoma. He's being attacked by the Suliban, who are supposed to be genetically engineered badasses but really look like they should just do the Zoidberg "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" whenever they move. They're shown to be humanoid gummy bears able to sneak under standard doors mounted on corn silos and nowhere else. They really threw some highly specialized troops at them for sure, had that been a grain elevator they would have needed further genetic modification. The Klingon blows up the silo with them in it and then we get the first contact between Humans and Klingons.

Oh...shit​

Man this just gets worse by the year huh? When I originally wrote this, this was bad but it got worse in the last three years and I fear will continue to get worse until things actually change. I don't need to explain to you why this is bad, its obvious on the face of it.

Well I guess that's it for humanity though huh? We just shot a random dude from an aggressively expansionistic and militaristic stellar empire while he was on a courier mission with state secrets. We don't really have that much of a navy. We charitably have a single ship that can be called a warship and it hasn't launched yet. They're going to stomp you out like the flaming bag of crap you are. Luckily we have the Vulcans as allies who...oh, wait, sorry, I'm being told its bad that we have Vulcans as allies. I lied (An Omission) when I said that the show started with the Klingon crash landing. It actually started with a pointless scene of Archer as a child throwing racially motivated insults at Vulcans while working on a model starship. He calls the Vulcan ambassador "Pointy" and engages in conspiracy theories about how the Vulcans are holding us back. The actual show takes place 30 years later and introduces us to Archer engaging in racist conspiracy theories.

See, Klaang was on an important mission before he got Castle Doctrined by some corn farmer. The Vulcans have been in close contact with the ruling government on Qo'noS and are trying to smooth things over. The Klingons have requested they fix this shit and bring his body back to Qo'noS. They have specifically requested that the Vulcans do this. The Vulcans of course, naturally request that the humans delay the launch of the Enterprise until this is resolved, because this is a really bad situation. Archer instead launches into a conspiracy theory, saying that " You'd think they'd have come up with something a little more imaginative this time."

Archer. Archer Buddy. This V-Anon shit has to stop buddy. There's a nearly dead Klingon on a table in front of you. Do you think the Vulcans whipped him up out of cubed ham, latex and goat hair? Do you think they crashed a drone into an empty cornfield and did a controlled demolition of a silo to delay your starship launch? Do you post on message boards with complicated charts demonstrating that Vulcans were behind the JFK assassination, the cancellation of Quantum Leap and a conspiracy known only as "Pok Tar Gate"? This is a real ass diplomatic emergency. The Klingons are asking the Vulcans to fix your shit before they fix it for you, by fixing you.

All Archer can focus on is that they used the word "Corpse" to describe the still at this exact moment technically living Klaang. Archer bursts into the operating theater angrily demanding to know if Klaang is dead. Its here that Phlox acts most like a doctor. When confronted by a lunatic demanding to know if a man is dead, he responds with trying to explain the medical situation of "Technically yes but" to no avail. Archer doubles down like he's talking to some egghead idiot and demands to know if he's going to die. "It's possible he might live" replies Phlox. Beautiful, I actually love this one part, this oasis in the desert of characterization. Doctors are highly trained, highly educated, and highly skilled: This is exactly what happens when you ask them dead stupid binary answer questions like "is he going to die?" Lets see how the next 10 minutes go and each ten minutes after that for the next two days, ok?

Anyway, Archer is mad that a Klingon has a DNR code status even though there's a chance of him surviving and demands to know "WHERE'S THE LOGIC IN THAT HUH?". The Vulcans patiently try to explain Klingon culture and how this will cause him to lose face and be dishonored. They try to explain the basics of how Klingons view injury and death, but Archer yells back "SO THAT'S IT, YOU'RE GOING TO DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU? PULL THE PLUG?" and accuses them all of being murderers.

Archer. Archer buddy. Archer my man. Medical ethics are more complicated than this among Humans. Go to whatever you use for Wikipedia in your stupid future and look up Do Not Resuscitate. You're not only imposing your cultural values onto him, you're imposing your personal values onto him because this subject is pretty complicated. We know for a fact later that he suffers from some degree of at least temporary brain damage later, with possible permanent damage. He's only alive due to extreme levels of redundancy in his body, and who knows what the long term effects will be, especially if he has to try to follow up with a Klingon GP. His government is expecting a corpse per the Vulcans and you may potentially be completely sabotaging the fragile arrangements the Vulcans have made for our benefit. The benefit of them not sending a bunch of warbirds to murder everyone.

But don't worry, Archer isn't done being awful in this scene. He demands to know how much longer Humanity will be held back by the Vulcans. T'Pol answers by telling him "Until you advance past your provincial attitudes and learn to control your volatile natures". Archer of course responds that he's controlling his volatile nature because he's not viciously beating her like he wants to and HOLY FUCKING SHIT ARCHER. How about you learn the slightest fucking chill? He manages to convince his CO to ignore the Vulcans and their attempts to prevent the Klingons dunking on us. He even lets Archer's personal morality take precedent over that of an unconscious patient. The Vulcans try to plead with him to show any kind of sense, but uh oh, he raised his voice! That means Archer gets to smug dog out a line about how when logic doesn't work, they raise their voices. Wuh oh, take that Vulcan!

Get ready for them to alternate between pretending Vulcans don't have emotions at all or to have their logic be merely a clever cover for them being smug shitheads to humans and to delight in showing them have emotional reactions. Archer can't just be such a fuck that a Vulcan with supreme emotional control managed to slightly lose his cool. It must be a moral failing on the Vulcans part, because they're all hypocrites anyway. Archer exists to own the Libs Vulcans. This is an anti-Vulcan Star Trek show folks. An anti-intellectual Star Trek. In fact, the writers mention "angering the Vulcans" as one of the goals for Humanity in the pilot.

Braga commented, "We had to basically come up with a story that would give Enterprise a reason to go on its first mission, other than: 'let's just launch and go out and have our first adventure.' We wanted to give Archer a specific noble goal – a test; an incident that would test humanity's ability to prove themselves, and kinda piss off the Vulcans, too. I had an image of Klingons in small-town America. My first image was, 'What if we show Klingons attacking Iowa?' Then we pared it down to, 'What if a Klingon crash-landed in a cornfield?'"

"What if we weren't complete hacks?" would probably have been a better question. Regardless, we've finally made it to them collecting the crew and launching the ship. We must be a good ways into it right? I'm 1500 words into this, they've gotten a mission, collected a crew and god damn it just do the thing where you reveal the time elapsed. 15 minutes. We are 15 minutes in. Don't worry, I'm sure the next hour is just going to fly by.

Probably.

I am reminded how SF Debris could be kind to Voyager at points but was absolutely brutal Enterprise, even what he considered a 10 for Enterprise wasn't great and was absolutely without mercy for Archer, because Archer deserved none.

Working my way through editing these, I forgot to post my ko-fi. This helps support me doing more projects and supports my family. :)

ko-fi.com

Buy Vixen Tango a Coffee. ko-fi.com/vixentango

Become a supporter of Vixen Tango today! ❤️ Ko-fi lets you support the creators you love with no fees on donations.

So, is there a way to do this without paypal? Cause... like, paypal is way too shady for me to want to risk it. It's like 50 percent credit card scams.

Remastered: Broken Bow Part 2, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (Racist edition)
The dinner scene from Broken Bow is a microcosm of all the problems that the show has with its characters and philosophy. I'm probably actually being too generous by saying "philosophy". "Approach" might be better, though only because "Making a small minded show that people hate starring people they can't stand" is more accurate but a bit too wordy. Before its even begun, Archer has been pestering T'Pol with a list of tourist attractions near the Vulcan compound in Sausalito. I can only presume he grabbed the entire rack of brochures from a hotel and has been pestering her for 45 minutes. He can't believe she didn't do any sight seeing or touristing while she was in Marin County. He chastises her for being "All Work and No Play" and that "Everyone needs to get out and have a little fun now and then."

Archer. Archer buddy. She's busy. Forget about Aliens, Archer doesn't seem like he could handle humans who aren't him or his buddy Trip. Not only might she have different ideas of recreation than you, she was probably working the entire time. There's a lot of things around me I haven't been to, and there's plenty of things I like to do that won't appeal to anyone else.

Speaking of his buddy, Trip comes in for dinner and we begin a slow motion train wreck. Now, T'Pol infamously calls humans "Impulsive Carnivores" in this scene, and its commonly held against her to show her what an asshole she is. And its true, she acts a bit rude to them there, but lets think about what has transpired up to this point, hmm?

• In their first meeting, Archer threatens to physically assault her.​
  • On their second meeting, they call her a spy. Her sense of smell is also so strong that Archers dog is causing her to be violently ill even though she is working to ignore it. Trip makes a joke about how he's showered this morning and so he shouldn't be too offensive. Its funny because she's probably suffering from a migraine now and this puts her in her place!​
  • Vulcans don't touch their food, so of course they have nothing but hard bread-sticks and an entire loaf of bread to choose from for appetizers.​
  • They make racist jokes about the Vulcan compound being known for its parties.​
  • They pretend that they're having ribs for dinner despite knowing she's a vegetarian, to her initial horror.​
  • When arguing about how far humans have come, they joke about returning to Cannibalism.​
  • They give her this shit for dinner. Dear fucking god, we now know what the Vegan option looked like at Fyre Festival.​

Man, why would she try to get some shots in at them? Its not like they've been treating her like dog shit the entire time and she saw an angle of attack from her own cultural perspective!

Yes I just wrote hundreds of words about a single dinner scene, but this scene is almost everything wrong with the show and an area where I've changed considerably. I'm not a vegetarian much less a Vegan. I still eat meat and animal products, even though I have some complicated feelings about it. However a lot of my friends are Vegan. They don't force it on me, you can talk to them about the meat dishes you eat. They won't insult you about it or call you a "carnivore", but I imagine if you put any of them in T'Pols shoes, they would be pretty fucking pissed about the jokes about "reverting to cannibalism" or people pretending they haven't noted your dietary preferences right before dinner is served. Hell, from what they tell me of their thanksgivings or family affairs, they have in fact been in T'Pol's shoes.

I'm taking apart this bit because of how much it really speaks for where they're going with this show. Vulcans are the enemy on this show. They are often posed as a greater enemy to humanity than the people actually trying to kill us. T'Pol may turn into a Good One, but her good traits are defined in opposition to one of the core races of the franchise. The needs, culture and desires of her people are treated as punch lines. Sources of derision. Something to be dismissed with minimal or no accommodation. Do you move the meeting to outside your cabin when you find out your executive officer can't be around your dog? Fuck that shit, she'll just have to deal.

The problem of course, is that a lot of this isn't even him having to deal with Alien concepts. This is all human shit. Archer and his crew have trouble dealing with cultures that are outside the target audience of white middle America. They want credit from T'Pol for "pretty much" eliminating war, poverty and hunger. However, they're so reflexively dismissive that they would have cause diplomatic incidents in some parts of America, much less a completely alien world. They'd be asked to leave a Trader Joe's, much less a diplomatic summit. They have no interest in advancing themselves culturally or personally and they have little patience for understanding others. The standard reaction they have is disrespect, dismissal and suspicion. It is again, a highly xenophobic show. They will adapt very little to the needs, wishes or respects of others.

The important thing to remember going forward is to remember one simple fact established in this incident: T'Pol canonically has training in dealing with literally offensive situations. She has been given courses in Asshole SERE and she still can't deal with these people without losing her temper and she's a fucking Vulcan.

They're the most insufferable people in the galaxy right now. Canonically. The Vulcans aren't being hypocritical, there are just limits!

It's interesting that they manage to pump up the "alien bad threatening" down to the point of not actually translating the thing for the show.

Also with trying to feed long term vegetarian meat, like, i can't even start how it's fucked up not only in basic decency and medical issues, but also for people supposedly trying to interact with any different culture.
An achievement to be sure.

Remastered: Broken Bow Part 3
So the first mission for the good ship Enterprise is to bring the Klingon courier Klaang home to Qo'noS. They of course fail at this mission approximately.... *checks notes* the first day of their voyage. See there they are, trying to interrogate Klaang with the help of Hoshi, who is completely failing at both translating and keeping her cool. Suddenly, the ship shudders as it drops out of warp and the power starts failing all over the ship, leaving them in complete darkness.

Now hmmm, we're carrying an important hostage\patient who has already had his life threatened by a technologically advanced race. And the power is out, leaving us unable to defend ourselves. The conclusion they reach is of course "probably nothing" until Hoshi spots a Suliban before he can chameleon himself.

"There's someone here" she whispers in pure terror.

Faced with immediate hostile enemy action, they proceed to just shine flashlights at random things for a while until they see a boarder. In the combat that follows, they of course completely whiz it and manage to lose a 6'5" ( 1.96 m), 300lb (136 KG) Klingon from the center of the room. Somehow. To an alien that Jim Parsons could break in half. Transporters are pretty flashy so I can only assume that Twiggy McGummy managed to fireman carry a dude out of the center of the room, back to his ship without any of them noticing.

So there's a lot to unpack here.

Firstly, obviously the show wanted to make their signature alien baddy look intimidating, but like all things Enterprise, they had to sacrifice dignity and sense to do it. So power fails all over the ship, with auxiliary power not kicking on. There are no emergency lights on the ship and doubly worrying, there are no independent emergency lights in Sickbay. Let that sink in for a bit. Flashlights were working, so obviously if they had any installed emergency lighting it should have worked too. But there was none. Because they wanted a spooky scene lit by flashlight. Also no communicators, that would diminish the spoop.

Second, what a bunch of idiots. You lost the one thing that you were supposed to keep track of. Did you forget to write "1. The Klingon 2. See 1" on your hand to remind you? I feel like its a running theme in things I watch where bad writers have people forget the one thing they were supposed to do for no reason, but this takes the cake. He's not exactly a set of car keys guys.

T'Pol points out that he's completely fucked up at the one thing he set out to do. She points out multiple times all the ways their shit is fucked, so he of course takes her into his cabin to yell at her about how he doesn't need her cynicism and she can shove it. With a racist reference to her repressed emotions of course. Right after that, Trip accuses her of being incapable of loyalty to Archer because "Loyalty is an emotion now isn't it?". Archer asks her her if a list of proper nouns they got from Klaang mean anything to her. She helpfully gives them classified information in response to one of them: Rigel X was the last place Klaang visited before he crashed on Earth. But oh no, she hesitated before giving them classified information so Archer threatens to have her arrested and jailed if she ever hesitates again. At this rate T'Pol has to be thinking of how she's going to draft her report about how she let humanity get wiped out by Klingons due to our own stupidity. Archer lost Klaang like a sock in the wash, and now Archer refuses to even let Earth or the Vulcans know about it. This report writes itself! When Klingon battle cruisers are suddenly reducing Starfleet command to ash, Archer will have skipped town like it's an interstellar dine and dash.

So they head off to Rigel to accomplish... *looks at notes* Nothing. They accomplish nothing there, its a huge waste of time. Its 30 minutes of padding. I'll quickly sum it up:

• Alien Tiddies exist. Strippers exist. Exotic dancing twins will vomit and pass out behind the scenes due to how offensively bad the makeup process was.​
  • Tucker possibly learns that maybe he shouldn't yell at alien single moms until he is more familiar with their culture.​
  • They meet up with some Suliban that are not aligned with the Cabal. Archer will forget they exist when resorting to racism at a later date. They give him an info dump on the Suliban and a Temporal Cold War, but ultimately fail to advance the plot.​
  • Archer gets shot during a lame shootout where he fires two pistols while duck walking. He's put under sedation for six hours so an "osmotic eel" can cauterize the wound, making future exotic technology slower and lamer than modern technology.​
  • We get our first glimpse of the Sex Chamber. Sorry, sorry, the Decontamination chamber. If you're exposed to contaminants, you must enter into this blacklight lit room in your gender appropriate underwear. Once in the room, you rub a water based lubricant on each other's skin and your skin only. Cotton underwear is of course immune to contamination because its 8PM on UPN. Phlox? Phlox just watches. Always watches. Watches and studies.​

But hey, thanks to some bullshit character development that's totally unearned, T'Pol modifies their ships sensors to detect the Suliban plasma trail. Like she has been able to do the entire time. She's wasted, gosh, about two days of their time? Klaang is being tortured for information and is close to being shoved out an airlock at this point. Aside from the possibility that these apes made one too many racist cracks at her expense, the reason for this is because she's Vulcan. Vulcans are of course sneaky rat like creatures who only exist to betray you and the rest of middle America. T'Pol has made the first step in her journey of not being so Vulcan.

Archer has to get Klaang out of a Suliban composite ship filled with 30k angry Suliban, that's sitting in a semi liquid gas giant. They do this by firing a grappling hook at a Suliban pod and wheel it into their ship and then go hide in the "Phosphorous Layer". If you want a place of safety, look no further than the phosphorus layer. Just a big old mass of densely packed liquid phosphorous with a starship flying through it. No danger there!

From there, Mayweather and Archer have to slowly and painfully explain the controls of the ship he's going to fly to Trip. Slowly. At one point Archers head is tilted nearly 90 degrees watching Trip as Mayweather begs to fly the suicide mission instead of having to teach Trip anymore. Trip is a highly skilled Engineer who is completely unskilled outside of his field, aside from the fact that he's a better commander than Archer. For that reason, he must never be left in charge, and must be dragged along on every mission with Archer. Sure he almost dies all the time, but isn't that a small price to pay for Archer's job security? He'd rather see Trip die of heat stroke on a desert world than have anyone notice that there's a better choice for command than him.

So they set out on the mission, which I will again sum up for time:

• Enterprise must avoid depth charges while safe and snug within the phosphorous layer.​
  • They manage to rescue Klaang but get separated​
  • Trip has a buddy comedy adventure with Klaang as they fight their way out of the ship and fly back to Enterprise.​
  • Archer wanders into the Temporal Cold War Time Out Room where he's warned by the Suliban commander that he can't use his weapon due to there being a severe temporal reaction.​
  • The Suliban leader fires at Archer and is blown across the room after missing, the one thing he absolutely did not want to happen.​
  • T'Pol tries to leave in an act of Typical Vulcan Space Treachery. She points out that they have Klaang and losing him now would completely bone humanity but gets accused of treachery until she goes back.​
  • They beam out Archer and yadda yadda yadda, save the entire Klingon Empire, undeservedly making Archer a hero of the Empire, known far and wide.​

Leaving Qo'noS, they promise more wacky hijinks to follow and set out on a grand space adventure. Yay...more of this.

Enterprise was bad from the beginning. They wanted a sexier and more violent and darker take on Star Trek while remaining on UPN, Wednesdays at 8PM. Have some latex tiddies while Human kind bravely fights...our closest and only allies? The Vulcans will continuously have their character denigrated and ruined so that humans on Earth can feel justifiable hatred towards them and cheer for a bunch of immature idiots to show them up. The first season continuously shows that we don't belong among the stars, we might not even deserve to be in space at all. We're rash, impulsive creatures of pure id that are just...so fucking stupid. Broken Bow is bad but the show has nowhere to go but down from here.

Next time, I will detail our first visit to a new world and how we completely fuck it up.

Last edited:
Oh hell yes, I am looking forward to this!

I personally haven't watched ENT since it went off the air, but given how completely fucking awful Discovery and Picard turned out to be ("Those aren't people, they're borg!" is quite possibly the worst line ever uttered in a Trek show), I'm often tempted to revisit Enterprise and see if it's as bad as I remember.

Looking back, the show is so obviously a product of the Bush era that it's almost painful. In many ways, the show's themes reflected the 2000 election where voters had to choose between Bush and Gore, and there was a certain perception that Gore was too cold, aloof, and intellectual to resonate with the average American voter, and that Bush, with his simple, folksy, down-home demeanour, was somehow more in tune with what people actually wanted. When he mixed up words or stumbled over basic sentences, it didn't make him look unelectable, it made him look relatable. This was the era of faith-based initiatives and the rise of the religious right, and you can see this reflected in the basic theme of Enterprise, which is about "faith" and personal intuition triumphing over cold, hard logic. Captain Archer (who might as well be George W. Bush IN SPACE!!!) was constantly at odds with the stoic, logical Vulcans, whom the show never failed to present in a bad light), and even the show's theme song was called "Faith of the Heart."

And then there was the show's cack-handed 9/11 allegory with the Xindi attack on Earth, and the monstrous, pro-genocide "Dear Doctor." So yes, this show had...issues.

I am reminded how SF Debris could be kind to Voyager at points but was absolutely brutal Enterprise, even what he considered a 10 for Enterprise wasn't great and was absolutely without mercy for Archer, because Archer deserved none.
Yeah. I actually enjoyed a fair number of Voyager episodes, not that the show couldn't have been done a lot better. Voyager was a mass of wasted potential, potentially interesting ideas and storylines that were either untouched or done terribly. Still, it was good on occasion. I've often wished for a compilation from an alternative universe where the difference is "Voyager had better writers and producers".

But I struggle to think of a good scene from Enterprise, much less a good episode.

Remastered: Strange New World (singular)
T'POL: Captain. There are a number of protocols you may want to consider.
ARCHER [visibly annoyed and unable to believe this shit]: Protocols.
T'POL: Vulcan ships would begin by sending automated probes down to collect more detailed scans. If the planet proved to be Minshara-class, we would then conduct a geophysical survey from orbit.
TRAVIS: Minshara-class?
HOSHI: Suitable for humanoid life.
ARCHER [extremely annoyed]: How long would all that take?
T'POL: Six or seven days.
TUCKER [Southernly]: You expect us to sit up here for a week while probes have all the fun?
T'POL: This planet has been here a long time. It will still be here in seven days.
ARCHER [Arrogantly dismissive]: I understand that you have a more cautious approach, but we didn't come out here to tip-toe around. [starts laughing] Get the pod ready.

And how does that go for you Archer?

Oh...oh right, not very well for the crew​

Strange New World is about how you really need to just wing it when it comes to space exploration. Spend a week studying a planet? That's fucking Vulcan talk and we won't have any of that shit. We can't analyze a situation until we understand it, we have to get down there and land in a random place and just stick your dick in the loam. Just stick it right on in there with your buddies. Make sure to bring along your custom embroidered baseball caps. Bring the dog along. Let Porthos be the first out the door and let him run around. Stretch his legs, let him eat random shit and pee on things.

"Where no dog has gone before" jokes Trip as Gene Roddenberry comes back to life and then is immediately struck dead again.

T'Pol is bored by this boring ass planet though. They're all "WOW A NEW WORLD" and she's like "Its just a park in California" and they're like "LETS HAVE A SLEEPOVER" and she's like "Why can't I self terminate? " So the XO, Chief Engineer, Helmsman and two nobodies have a camp out on a planet they spent 15 seconds investigating. I'm sure that will be fine, what's the worst that can happen? *looks at notes* A naturally occurring toxin found in pollen on the planet that induces paranoia and then death on mammalian creatures. That's what happens.

I mean who could have seen that coming? Oh right, the Vulcan Science Directorate. What with their protocols and procedures and basic fucking sense. People inspect rental cars with more care than the Enterprise inspects an undiscovered world. If you've checked the weather on your phone, you've done more planning than the Enterprise. If you've done any planning or forward thinking for anything ever in your life? Congrats, you have surpassed Earth's foremost explorers. They're the Fyre Festival of Space Exploration.

"Malcolm, we need you to go down on a Klingon for some Dilithium"
So thanks to a complete lack of planning, they don't see a few things coming. Namely a hurricane that endangers the away team combined with a psychotropic compound that causes paranoia. I mean, how could a space ship see a hurricane coming? *checks notes* Oh right, from Space. It could see it from space. Just look out any old window with your human eyes. Of course with a compound that causes paranoia, its time for our old Enterprise friend: Rampant fucking racism.

It must really suck to be T'Pol. Imagine being stuck on a ship full of smelly, ignorant assholes. You try to offer a suggestion about how to explore a planet safely and effectively and they treat you like you're some cowardly dumb shit. They're late radioing in and so you check on them? They act like you're some nagging bitch. You try to study some marsupials with your science team? They turn it into a camp out. You get infected by a psychotropic compound and suddenly you're queen bitch of the rock people, out to sap and impurify their vital essence and destroy the ship. This episode is 40% racist ranting by volume. T'Pol is held at gunpoint for half the episode and they have to trick a tripped out Trip into injecting himself with a vaccine like he's worried Dark Brandon is going to implant him with Vulcan microchips.

We get to hear a dozen different variations on "Vulcans are sneaky backstabbers" while everyone slowly dies from pollen. When they beam up Novakovich, Doctor Phlox is like "Nah man, no big deal, they'll be fine" but then suddenly Novakovich dies. Turns out there's some bullshit with the pollen that Phlox didn't test for at all, because uh...*checks notes* shit I got nothing. Did Starfleet's insurance refuse to let him do diagnostics? Its ok though, he quite clearly dies but they decided at the last minute to not kill off crewmembers and so he is merely stuck between life and death, forever. He's not dead, but nobody will ever see him again.

Ever.

The episode ends of course, with T'Pol stunning Trip with a Phaser and treating everyone, saving the god damn day for these ignorant fucking fools. I'm sure everyone learned their lesson though and didn't engage in such foolish rish taking or rampant again.

Right? Right?!

*In front of a brick wall and holding a microphone*

Me: Its just Strange New World, the singular, not Strange New Worlds. Strange New Worlds has Those Who Walk Away From Omelas while Star Trek Enterprise is more concerned about T'Pol Walking Away From Omelets.
Gowron: GET OFF THE STAGE.

Yeah. I actually enjoyed a fair number of Voyager episodes, not that the show couldn't have been done a lot better. Voyager was a mass of wasted potential, potentially interesting ideas and storylines that were either untouched or done terribly. Still, it was good on occasion. I've often wished for a compilation from an alternative universe where the difference is "Voyager had better writers and producers".

But I struggle to think of a good scene from Enterprise, much less a good episode.

Voyager could have high highs and low lows, whereas Enterprise is just a steady blaugh that occasionally plummets into depths of suck not even the worst episodes of Discovery or Picard reach.

Remastered: Sluggo Sato, stand name: Communication Breakdown
PHLOX: I didn't realise you spoke slug.
HOSHI: Wish I did. She doesn't look any better, does she.
PHLOX: She? We haven't been able to determine its gender yet, if it has one.
HOSHI: I should have left her where I found her. PHLOX: Nonsense. You're on a mission of exploration. There's something to be learned from every lifeform.
HOSHI: She wasn't meant to be in this environment.
PHLOX: I promise to do my best to keep it alive.
HOSHI: He's going to make you all better.
PHLOX: Actually I was thinking more about my pyrithian bat. He won't eat anything once it's dead.

When tasked to create a animal that was a physical manifestation for Hoshi Sato, the writer leaned backed in their chair for a moment, spun it idly back and forth for a moment deep in thought and then leaned forward.

"A pathetic space slug" they said before leaning back again in satisfaction before adding "that's dying" to the knowing nods of their fellow writers.

There's a slug that they abducted from a random planet hanging out in sickbay, but its been doing poorly. It's slowly dying before Hoshi's helicopter pet mom eyes, no matter how much she worries about it. Its a metaphor of course, for how Hoshi is completely unprepared to actually serve aboard a starship. It doesn't help of course that she has a desk job but will be constantly thrown onto away missions so that she can worry about things, fail at things, or worry about how she's failing at things. She has the steadiness and unflappability of a rabbit having a bad trip. She makes Kermit the frog look like Colonel Quaritch. In the first episode she was scared of the actual basic functionality of a ship at warp and it wasn't clear if she was aware that a space ship operates in space. She is the disgusting sluggo in this hamfisted subplot. At the point at which she requests an urgent room swap due to the "stars moving the wrong way", Lt Barclay would have called her neurotic.

The weight and importance of all this is belied by the fact that I consistently erase it from my mind when I'm not actively watching it. Also that they chose to have a main character be represented by a severely ill slug sitting in a lunch box. Dignity was never an option it seems.

So we need a reason for Hoshi to be useful, aside from all the obvious ways a communications officer should be. So enter long suffering Malcolm Reed. They left in such a hurry in the first episode that they never stopped to make sure the weapons worked, to his chagrin. So now he's trying to fix them in transit, but its not going well. Simulated tests show an error of .02% which gets a reaction of "Hey, good enough" from everyone else. Reed has to point out that space is big, you fucking idiots, so that's actually a problem. He in fact has to argue in favor of having a functional weapons system and that they shouldn't go around knocking on doors until they can defend themselves if needed. Its not like they have met precisely two new races recently who are either hostile or have a culture where the weak are just victims waiting to happen. Just fly to Qo'noS without guns, what's the worse that could happen?

Archer authorizes a live fire test. The first torpedo misses completely, sailing off into space to probably wipe out a pre-warp civilization on the cusp of space flight. They fire a second torpedo. It bounces off the target, flips 180, stabilizes its flight and starts heading towards Enterprise, and has to be detonated. Archer is pissed at poor Malcolm, who says he can fix it, they just need to stop for 24 hours while he re-calibrates his systems. Archer naturally declines, telling him they're not going to "sit on their butts" fixing their shit. It's not like they're going to need weapons anytime soon, right?

So later that day they encounter a drifting ship filled with dead bodies that have been strung up to drain them of valuable bodily fluids. Huh, that didn't take long did it? Hoshi has been dragged along on the away team and freaks out at all the dead bodies. T'Pol suggests bailing on the ship because its not their problem and Archer initially agrees. Hoshi goes to check in on Sluggo Hoshi and sulks about freaking out at the sight of butchered corpses. This is entirely god damn fair. Phlox meanwhile suggests she's maybe not suited for life in space, and while I would say that's generally true, this is fucking insane.

Why is the ships linguist and communications officer, the only linguist they have by the way, on an away team to an unsecured vessel? I mean, sure there might be the chance that they need to communicate with someone inside, but this show pays little attention to non verbal communication, so she can do her job equally well with a radio. She doesn't need to be the first through the door. Hoshi is not a combatant. She's not a trained security officer. Malcolm Reed has people for this he's never allowed to use. MACOs aren't on the ship yet, but this would be a situation for them, rather than Hoshi Sluggo Sato. Stop doing this exact thing Archer.

Speaking of Archer, he has racism derived second thoughts.

ARCHER: What's the matter, the tension bothering you?
T'POL: Not in the least.
ARCHER: Must be great not to let things bother you. No remorse, no guilt. What if they were Vulcans? Think you would have reacted the same way?
T'POL: They weren't Vulcans.
ARCHER: I said, what if they were Vulcans. Would you have just left them there, hanging like slaughtered animals? Don't you think maybe you would have taken them down, tried to figure out who they were, made some effort to contact their families? T'POL: We don't know where they came from. It would be very difficult to locate their families.
ARCHER: We didn't even try. (to Tucker) What about you, what if they were humans? Would you just stick your tail between your legs and run, leave them there to rot? Am I the only one who's having a problem with this?
TUCKER: You said it yourself, sir. Whoever killed those people are probably coming back. ARCHER: So we should avoid confrontation cost, is that what you're saying? Is that what you Vulcans do? Bury your heads in the sand and then just fly on by?
T'POL: We Vulcans would have never gone on board that ship in the first place.
ARCHER: You got an answer for everything, don't you.
T'POL: We have a code of behavior, and we try to obey it.
ARCHER: You may not believe this, but humans have a code of behavior too. It took a few thousand years, but I think we're starting to get it right. I can't believe I almost ignored it.

So they reverse course and head back to the ship. There they find that the unknown aliens that attacked the ship shot several of the crew and euthanized the ones that surrendered before butchering them and setting up pumps to drain them of valuable fluids. Hoshi keeps going on about how because she freaked out at dead bodies she's not fit to serve on the ship. Meanwhile, since its a ship that has actually been cleared this time, she's able to find a distress call in the system and send it out on all the numbers in their address book. Gosh its like, they were completely using her wrong before. Hoshi "Namekuji" Sato is not a space marine or security officer, she's almost some sort of communications officer.

Meanwhile the baddies show back up and they have to bail back to their ship. The enemy isn't responding to communications and scans the ship to find out what can be harvested from the soon to be dead crew.

So T'Pol is supposed to come off as a real heartless bitch with her "not my problem" attitude. The problem of course is that the text continuously works against this. Yes she's being heartless, but the Enterprise isn't a heavy hitter most of the time and she's hamstrung at the moment. They really should in fact avoid conflict until they're better able to defend themselves. It will work out this time, but only by sheer bloody luck are the crew not shot to death or euthanized and their corpses then processed into alien dick hardening pills. Yes, Phlox theorizes a possible use of the dead bodies is that they're being processed and sold as aphrodisiacs and dick hardeners. What an auspicious end to humanities first foray into long range exploration. Dick hardening pills and\or creams. Archer by the way tries to say that while humans killed animals for this use in the past, they never did it to humans. I think day one of Space Explorer 101 is that aliens may not see us as equals or even as anything else than animals. Plus you know, we did in fact use humans as medicine. In the West, just so we're clear Archer.

Attempts by the Enterprise are laughable of course, because their weapons are in a shit state because of Reed being denied permission multiple times to fix them. Its an amazing scene where both torpedoes they fire completely botch with one bouncing off a decorative feature and the other moving so slow its easily intercepted. Archer of course has one person that he holds responsible for this: Malcolm Reed.

To be Malcolm Reed, is to suffer. That's why he's still here.

Luckily they get saved by the aliens that Hoshi speed dialed after she freaks out for a while to add "drama" to the plot. The crisis averted and Hoshi resolving to stay on the ship, she dumps Sluggo Hoshi onto a random ass world saying that she's going to have to adapt, like she did. I can only presume that it either died immediately due to being unsuited to the environment or it became an invasive species that caused massive ecological damage. The important thing is that its a metaphor. Her dumping it against its choice somewhere is a perfect parallel to her deciding she can adapt to something she chose.

*knowing nod*

I got decently far before, still working through editing these and reposting them.

Remastered: Welcome to the No Dignity Zone
PHLOX: Not a very adventurous breakfast.
T'POL: Plomeek broth is a traditional morning meal on Vulcan.
PHLOX: Ah, but you're not on Vulcan. You should try these blueberry pancakes. They're quite delicious.
T'POL: I sampled human food on several occasions. It didn't agree with me.
PHLOX: Give it some time. The Vulcan digestive tract is highly adaptable.
T'POL: I prefer to eat the foods I'm accustomed to.
PHLOX: There's an old saying. When in Fellebis, do as the Fellebians do.
T'POL: It's difficult enough having to smell all this. Eating it is out of the question.

I think its important for her actions in this episode, that you realize what a living hell life on board the Enterprise is for T'Pol. Imagine not even being able to eat your god damn breakfast without someone telling you that you're doing it wrong. Imagine telling the ship's doctor that human food gives you major GI issues and he tells you "Your digestive tract will adapt". Phlox is trying to press her to eat food that will mess her up and is like "Don't worry, you'll eventually stop shitting yourself raw, so live a little, eat some fucking pancakes".

I want you to remember that while she's completely ripping Trip and reveling in his absolute misery. That she's been suffering under all these yahoos and had the racist beliefs of her coworkers continually shoved in her face.

So alright, let's rewind a bit: The Enterprise is experiencing random errors and technical glitches. Gravity is going crazy, temperature controls are out of control and there's a black sludge coming out of the Protein Re-sequencer. I kept writing "replicator" because, well, it is, but we're still pretending this is all original material and so we have to figure out a longer, dumber name for everything. Turns out its a plasma issue.

TUCKER: We know it's got something to do with the plasma exhaust. The flow's been restricted for some reason and it's screwing up half the systems on the ship. (to Dillard) Tell Billy to purge the aft manifold.
Boy, we're really leaning into writing him as a hick rather than from the south aren't we Billy? Its like they want the poor guy to be a joke and this episode really gets into that.

So it turns out some cloaked people are hanging out in their wake and its putting a potato in their tail pipe. Their busted ass ship is sucking up the exhaust to power some bullshit on their own. So Trip gets voluntold to go help them with their ship. It will be a recurring element that he does really badly outside of the ship and keeps getting shoved into all sorts of environments that he can't handle. In this one, its that he needs to be navigate a completely alien environment because they don't want to be inconvenienced by him doing the work in shifts. So, he almost goes psychotic trying to adjust to the environment. These idiots need his help though, because they have an icemaker but can't figure out how to serve up a glass of water. This makes him the monolith to their god damn dirty apes and is able to fix their shit better than they ever could. Again, they can make ice but not water. I don't even know how that's possible. What is even happening?

They do have a Holodeck though. They managed to last, gosh, 3 episodes without one. They insist it can only be used for environmental simulation, but really that's just Enterprise being Enterprise. Everything has to be the same with a slight, non functional difference and a lamer name. Phase cannons. Spatial Torpedos. Photonic Torpedos. Protein resequencer. Hull Plating (that's just treated like shields). Closest thing to original is the grapple gun. The show is just steeped in unoriginality, and probably only exists because George Lucas made a wish on a monkeys paw: "Make it so I don't make the worst prequel ever".

But I digress. The whole point of this episode is to put a baby in Trip. Oh I'm sorry, that's literally a non sequitur? Well fuck you, they fell asleep the days in writing class where they talked about structure, themes and characterization. We hit our episodes actual plot 22 minutes into a 42 minute episode. See on the alien ship he gets accidentally knocked up when he sticks his hands into a box of rocks. From there he gets Mpreged and starts sprouting nipples on his hands, because a man? With Nipples? Absolutely preposterous!

The episode meanders towards an ignoble conclusion from this point. In no particular order:

• Trip acts like a stereotypical pregnant woman. Fussy, emotional, starving, etc.
  • Stereotypical womanly behavior apparently also includes "concern for basic safety". The elevator in engineering can rip your hand clear off if you put your hand on the guard, and the guard to prevent someone from falling into the elevator is only a meter off the ground. Trip is supposed to be silly for worrying about a small person, but a tall person would just flip right over that thing and be crushed by an elevator. This entire ship is an OSHA nightmare.
  • Trip basically being treated as a laughing stock for having a literal parasite inside of him. They even get Klingon's in on it, for maximum embarrassment.
  • T'Pol absolutely getting back at him and not believing this "magic rock box" excuse for him getting pregnant. This includes: "One of the first things a diplomat learns is not to stick his fingers where they don't belong. "

No mention of abortion of course. At all. I think even the most regressive, anti-abortion conservative would probably put "impregnated by an alien parasite against your will" in the list of acceptable abortions. No, we have to find a way to carry this baby to term. That means finding the aliens that knocked up Trip. Their busted lemon of a ship has broken down, again. This time they're sucking the exhaust of a Klingon ship. Archer shows his incredible diplomacy and common sense. To paraphrase:

Klingon: "What gives scrub?"
Archer, weakly: "Um hey there, uh, guys. We're really passive so we're going to act super deferential and apologize in advance even though that's a terrible idea" :(
Klingons: What the fuck do you want?
Archer: "Hey we know you have some problems with your ship, so let us tell you its a bunch of dudes hiding in your engine wash."
Klingons: "People fucking with our ship?"
Archer: "Yeah we need their help"
Klingons: "Alright we found them, time to murder them"
Archer: "B-b-but I need their help!"
Klingons: "Nope, its Murder O'Clock"
Archer: "Please no sir, please don't hurt these kind dudes. We beg you!"
Klingons: [Laughs in Klingon]

Luckily T'Pol is there to actually show some basic fucking strength in the face of an aggressive race. She points out that the entire Klingon Empire owes Archer a Solid and that he has actual fucking standing with them. Archer, not one to leave a chance to lose face, embarrasses Trip in front of what I can only assume will eventually be the entire Empire, by forcing him to show the Klingons his baby bump.

No Dignity Allowed​

They laugh, the crew laughs, Trip dies inside. They complete selling out the aliens by arranging for the Klingons to steal all their technology for free. The end, roll credits on the entire mess. They manage to save the little parasite though, so I guess that's considered a win? I can only guess that this was supposed to be a more light hearted and comical episode, but the entire show is already a joke, so its hard to tell. Only T'Pol gets to keep her dignity as Trip is dealt humiliation after humiliation and Archer continues to be a weak, ineffectual fool. In front of the Klingons.

Alright, fully caught up so from here on its going to be original content. :)

Because when I think Star Trek, I think anti-intellectualism. In fact, I would say one of the core themes of Star Trek is that humanity should never question ourselves, ever. Just keep doing what you're doing, humanity.

Every single time the Enterprise crew's own stupidity and racism comes back to bite them in the ass:

Back