And Our Flag Was Not There: A History of the Second American Civil War.

Thank you. It just kind of flowed out, initially meant to be a numbers crunching post about the effects of the war but then I thought "well that's not really true to humanity is it?" And what I want to write is stuff that may not be true, but is spiritually true.

What do you guys feel needs to be covered as I wrap up the timeline because I'm struggling to remember what hasn't been covered.
There's the Middle East (Jordan's hanging in the wind, Israel's recovering from its civil war, Sudan has probably exploded if it hasn't already, Turkey and Azerbaijan have their hands in the Iranian cookie jar and are now stuck), the implied Russian Civil War that's about to kick off

I am curious what became of the Survivalist settlements. Did they integrate into Milwaukee? what did they do with the large right-wing component they made a desperate alliance with?

There's the Middle East (Jordan's hanging in the wind, Israel's recovering from its civil war, Sudan has probably exploded if it hasn't already, Turkey and Azerbaijan have their hands in the Iranian cookie jar and are now stuck), the implied Russian Civil War that's about to kick off
-. Tsushima War

-. The apocalyptic conflict in the Sahel

-. Philippine Civil War

-. Whatever happened in Myanmar

And many other things as well.

Edit: I forgot something: Central American Wars 2.0, the ongoing economic, oil and disease crisis, the rightward turn for Europe, and Indian Troubles.

Last edited:
All I want to see is a full update on how the various Milwaukee Accords polities handle outbreaks and things like vaccination.

All I want to see is a full update on how the various Milwaukee Accords polities handle outbreaks and things like vaccination.
Given that we know North-American wide organizations and agencies still exist (e.g., the National Rail Commission or its equivalent, the National Park Service), I wouldn't be surprised if some form of the CDC has also persisted to become a supranational organization.

Thank you. It just kind of flowed out, initially meant to be a numbers crunching post about the effects of the war but then I thought "well that's not really true to humanity is it?" And what I want to write is stuff that may not be true, but is spiritually true.
It was a good piece and a good way of beginning the ending of this TL. I think it's incredibly important to offer some hope/'positive' outlook in these kinds of TLs as writing about civil wars and societal collapse can get very grim-dark very quickly. Exploring how people rise to dire circumstances and try to do good in spite of innumerable horrors is a good way to counter that. All in all, kudos for this entry.

Maybe have a map on what North America looks like on the day the civil war ends with the names of all the countries on said map. (In North America, not the world.) You can also put some more details on the years of the wars cause it sort of sped by a little too quick based on the last couple of your (Dab Master) posts.

I get the feeling that perhaps the Quebecois are going to end up leaving under NAUS control. Perhaps some of them end up fleeing to FDSA territory around Louisiana.

What I'm saying is that it ends up recreating the Acadian expulsion of 1630. Except this time, they end up entirely voluntarily migrating instead of being expelled.

at the cloned chestnut trees and passenger pigeons
I know this is basically a throw-away line, but now that I think about it, it has fascinating implications for the scientific capabilities of the RLC (and, likely, most of North America)--cloning an existing species requires non-trivial biotech infrastructure, never mind an extinct or endangered one. The fact that they can clone a species that's been gone for over a hundred years back into existence suggests they've been able to regain much of their technical abilities despite the damage of the North American wars.

I'd like to see a story about Cascadia anarchists mopping up the remnants of the ABS.

To be fair, not even the "original" one had a clear-cut ending; Confederate troops kept fighting after Lee's surrender at Appomattox on April 9th, for instance.

For example, the Battle of Columbus (Georgia). A young man was injured in this battle. He developed an addiction to morphine. So he decided to curb his morphine addiction, by developing a new beverage combining the coca leaf and the cola nut. His name was John Stith Pemberton.

Today, John Stith Pemberton is known, by the few that know him at all, as the creator of Coca-Cola. (He did not found the Coca-Cola Company, though, he sold the formula to a man named Asa Griggs Candler.)

For example, the Battle of Columbus (Georgia). A young man was injured in this battle. He developed an addiction to morphine. So he decided to curb his morphine addiction, by developing a new beverage combining the coca leaf and the cola nut. His name was John Stith Pemberton.

Today, John Stith Pemberton is known, by the few that know him at all, as the creator of Coca-Cola. (He did not found the Coca-Cola Company, though, he sold the formula to a man named Asa Griggs Candler.)
There's also Palmito Ranch on May 13th, though that one's classification as the final battle of the American Civil War is somewhat disputed.

Do they promote breakdown without replacement or something?
I think General Torres, speaking many years after the fact, believes the typical prewar Internet leftist essentially advocated just that.

Given that we know North-American wide organizations and agencies still exist (e.g., the National Rail Commission or its equivalent, the National Park Service), I wouldn't be surprised if some form of the CDC has also persisted to become a supranational organization.
The problem is getting compliance when a local sovereign micropolity doesn't want to play ball.

Last edited:
I think it's time for this TL to officially wrap up, and I think this is a great way to wrap things up. Brought tears to my eyes. We can keep speculating and armchair generaling the future(I'm game), but I think it's time for this good thing to end, for these characters to live on and find happiness in their furry militias or queer anarchist poly circles or paranoid Survivalist town they are in. RIP America, Long live Turtle Island, and turtle power!

You realises that it's still going to be called North America geographically, right?

The only continent getting a name change is Europe being demoted to a subcontinent of Asia
Eurasia? No, Asiope(?).
Random observation: Europe is the only continent that doesn't start with the letter A (assuming you ignore the geographical distinction between North and South America).

Last edited:
Back