So many people forget or misremember Taylor's hair and eye color in this fandom you just tend to roll with it.
Frankly not many who've come across that bit of WoG, but I hear you, have been doing my best to dispel that misinformation over the last couple of years. Brown eyes, Black hair.

Amusingly, from Taylor's perspective Gallant is completely wrong and misunderstanding stuff, but from an outside perspective, he's mostly correct. There is in fact a malicious ghost manipulating Taylor into becoming evil. Gallant suspects it's a Master effect when it's actually just regular manipulation, but the gist of it is completely right.

Gallant suspects it's a Master effect when it's actually just regular manipulation, but the gist of it is completely right.
Not sure about that, Roma was a DE and even if devoid of the name her role as evil mentor to the Heiress should play primarily from that leading to something that could be considered a master effect.

Last edited:
Gallant originally hadn't seen able to see underneath the blue-eyed brunette's fear, but she was glowing. Not metaphorically, although she was pretty enough for Clockblocker to make an unfortunate joke had he been present. No, it was literal glowing. Golden mists crawled up her body and escaped from the crown of her head as multiple discrete, fluttering streamers, dissipating into the surrounding air after a couple feet. Gallant shot a quick glance at Aegis and saw the crossed arms and bored posture that effectively said he saw nothing unusual. Still, that was definitely a power interaction of some kind. Gallant swore, if they'd just stumbled upon a fresh fucking Trigger-
The fact that he sees (what seems to be) Taylor's Name is interesting, as is the choice of color. Why gold, when for Gallant's "normal" emotion sense it indicates a kind of happiness ("glee")?
"I think that should be safe as long as nobody tries to recruit me for the Wards or acts like I'm something to be contained," she said quietly, pretending not to care that she'd just effectively outed herself despite the anxiety streaking through her at the mention of recruitment.

The ghost's aura turned an even deeper shade of angry red, and was soon echoed by both guilt and anger in the young woman. She winced and bit her lip, effectively confirming that it was communicating with her.
Taylor didn't even notice that she outed herself, but at least Roma did. Or maybe Taylor is tripping over cliches again.
Gallant sighed and eyed the golden mists rising from the top of her head and dissipating into her surroundings. He supposed that might be a manifestation of a Trump ability, but it just didn't fit with the projection. He also couldn't see why being around heroes, specifically, would cause any issues with—

Gold… rising… fuck.
I wonder what kind of association Gallant had here, especially since he labels Taylor as Striker/Master soon after.
Second, I want to explain myself with a little story: the heroes stumble across a girl bound to a monster. They apprehend her, but can't pin down what is wrong, and she ultimately escapes or is released. Would you care to guess the eventual fate of such a troubled young woman?

She dies?
I hazarded. That plotline had occurred to me, but I'd been hoping that Villain's Roma's nature as a benevolent-ish monster would prevent such a fate.

Being friends just means that you would die in my arms before I slaughtered the offending parties.
But surely that doesn't happen to a major character, least of all the protagonist (and Taylor's story is the only one active, or so it seems at least). Those would instead be pressured by the impending death into making a decision that gets them out of trouble, but is detrimental in the long term. Or possibly discovering a hidden power. *eyes Ignition*
If anything, Taylor being dodgy and then vanishing sets her up as a mysterious stranger that appears every now and then to save the day (or throw a spanner into the works). Although this is not a protagonist role either.
edit: Or, alternatively, the girl defeats/overcomes the monster on her own and Roma is just worried about her own well-being.

Last edited:
Not sure about that, Roma was a DE and even if devoid of the name her role as evil mentor to the Heiress should play primarily from that leading to something that could be considered a master effect.
It is worth considering that Heiress doesn't necessarily imply training, as other transitory Names do. (For instance, Squire and Apprentice)

But surely that doesn't happen to a major character, least of all the protagonist (and Taylor's story is the only one active, or so it seems at least). Those would instead be pressured by the impending death into making a decision that gets them out of trouble, but is detrimental in the long term. Or possibly discovering a hidden power. *eyes Ignition*
If anything, Taylor being dodgy and then vanishing sets her up as a mysterious stranger that appears every now and then to save the day (or throw a spanner into the works). Although this is not a protagonist role either.
edit: Or, alternatively, the girl defeats/overcomes the monster on her own and Roma is just worried about her own well-being.

In what story about a teenager who is bullied, gets special powers and, goes to work with a government that thinks there's something wrong with her, not turn into a fight against the system that's oppressing them for being special?

She's much better off trying for a different dynamic, unless she wants to have to devote more energy to a love triangle than everything else combined.

I wonder what kind of association Gallant had here, especially since he labels Taylor as Striker/Master soon after.

So my guess here is they came across the guy she used Rise on that got mastered and probably he saw the emotions as gold and possibly rising. In terms of the monster stuff I think its fair the prt wouldn't let her go until they have an answer they are satisfied with. Realistically that means she either gives up way more info than she wants, gets pressured a lot and then either busts out or gets locked up. She would also risk her id and getting caught in other story hooks especially with getting taken to the heroes base cause lets be fair PtGE name lore is complicated enough before you add in complications with being in another verse.

So my guess here is they came across the guy she used Rise on that got mastered and probably he saw the emotions as gold and possibly rising. In terms of the monster stuff I think its fair the prt wouldn't let her go until they have an answer they are satisfied with. Realistically that means she either gives up way more info than she wants, gets pressured a lot and then either busts out or gets locked up. She would also risk her id and getting caught in other story hooks especially with getting taken to the heroes base cause lets be fair PtGE name lore is complicated enough before you add in complications with being in another verse.

This:
Victoria yawned widely and shrugged. "We both tried to talk, I let her go first, she talked about getting him medical attention, and we got interrupted by the idiot trying to move and making things worse. Went from broken ribs and breathing fine to this sort of awful choking noise. His own fault," she stressed. It wasn't even an actual lie, not really; mugging a cape definitely counted as an attempted suicide. "She pressed one palm to his side and said 'Rise' in this weird-as-hell voice, there was a blinding gold flash, and the guy was back on his feet by the time my eyes cleared. That's, uh, about the part where he ended up like..."

Victoria struggled to look for an innocuous method of describing his behavior. Assault beat her to it.

"Teacher'd?"

Victoria winced and stopped trying for perfection. Assault hadn't been joking; if that's what this looked like, anything she said would be preferable.

"Nnnooot really? I mean, calling it a Teacher effect implies loyalty to her. I don't think there was any of that. He just, like, swore off criminal actions and said he'd over a new leaf and all that. Forced alignment shift? Uh, anyway, I don't really think New Girl was expecting that since she sorta freaked out. Said something about having known life wouldn't let her have nice things, turned a corner, and literally vanished by the time I could catch up. So, add Mover or Stranger to her listing, not sure which. I did check the roof of the building she'd vanished around just in case, and no, she wasn't there."

This chapter made the story go from cracky dark humor to that horrifying sensation of seeing someone close being gaslighted and don't knowing what the fuck to do, trying to do it anyways with family and firendly support only to then watch them change postal codes.

Thanks, I hated it. Next one, please?

Really interesting seeing things from Gallants perspective. Would have expected anger not fear from Taylor there. Very ominous

Was... Was the fear and malicious glee that Gallant sensed literally just from Roma trying to push Taylor into wearing the dress and heels?

Was... Was the fear and malicious glee that Gallant sensed literally just from Roma trying to push Taylor into wearing the dress and heels?
No, that was the flicker of anger/guilt and sudden backpedaling. The fear vs. glee was because Roma exaggerated the threat of being recruited by (or around) heroes, and Taylor bought it as a valid reason not to join the Wards (see: Chapter VIII, Providence). Then, lo and behold, here come heroes—but rather than ruin Roma's plans like they usually do, they didn't help at all. :p

Last edited:
Danm, Roma is such a smug bitch. Like Lisa without the sympathetic backstory.

Its even worse, because Taylor is a master at self justification, and now she has a bad faith actor whispering in her brain at all times. This can only end well.

Chapter IX: Isolation
Special thanks to @saganatsu, @DB_Explorer, @fictionfan, @Adephagia, @DaGeek247, @Wordsmith, @Taut_Templar, Jamie Wahls, @Elfalpha, @BunnyLord, @Drcatspaw, @Conspiracy, @tinkerware, @Lonelywolf999, D'awwctor, and my 17 other patrons not mentioned here. An extremely enthusiastic "Thank you" to @Torgamous for her patronage as well. Also, if you're not on here, you fit the tier, and you want to be added, please tell me. >.>

Beta-read by @curiosity.

"There's a very important difference between a nice man and a good one."
–King Jehan the Wise

As much as I would have loved to go straight home and out of any potentially incriminating clothing, there was one tiny problem with doing so: I really needed to keep my disguising glamour consistent. If I started showing up with subtly different faces, then I would inevitably reveal that I did, in fact, count as a Stranger. I was sure that I hadn't done a perfect job in my imitation of the model. If I'd thought ahead, then I would have picked someone whom I could look at from a variety of angles and could imitate perfectly. I didn't, though, and now I needed reference photos for what I currently looked like. A smartphone could let me take the selfies necessary for that, but I was a Cape; putting incriminating photos on something with internet connectivity and a tracker would be exceptionally stupid. A dedicated camera would be safer.

Similarly, I didn't feel safe going to some of the other electronics stores or pawn shops that Dad had previously brought me to. They weren't exactly in the richest and safest parts of town, and that might mean better prices, but it also meant more opportunities for my powers to fuck with me. I still didn't entirely understand how they worked, but it seemed like they might nudge me into being in the right place at the right time to get into trouble. They might subtly Master people, too, and Roma's mention of "the groove of pointless conflict" certainly pointed in that direction. At least the library was only a few blocks away; I could get on a computer and look for alternative options that would—hopefully—manage to be both safe and within my budget.

My darling Heiress, fate need not act as blatant as you imagine—with the exception of heroic Providence, of course. Perhaps a carriage passed and delayed your departure for just long enough to allow a chance meeting later in the day, or you heard the cries of a distressed damsel despite standing in the midst of a bustling marketplace. Perhaps your opponent tripped during their escape and left the clues necessary for you to find their hideout. Anything that one might consider to be 'luck' falls within fate's domain, and tales are 'chosen' based on the cast available and the actions of that cast. If there is a role to be filled, then it need not force people to fill that role; why should it bother when there is an abundance of characters available?

It should have been one of the most informative answers Roma provided to date. Instead, I honestly felt as though she was downplaying the negative aspects so that I didn't freak out.

It was still enough for you to act like there was nothing we could have done to avoid that mess at the mall.

Oh, fate certainly wouldn't have helped matters, but haven't you wondered just how those heroes just so happened to stumble upon us? Out of all the stores within that market, they picked the one that we just so happened to frequent and deployed a hero who just so happened to be able to notice the presence of an incorporeal entity. By sheer happenstance, backup was available—

Actually, I think the Wards patrol in pairs.

I realize he was incompetent enough to let you pass in moments, my dear, but there was also that third hero waiting outside,
Roma replied dryly. Regardless, are you starting to understand the depths of the problem? Fate did not need to enforce any unusual behavior; all it needed to do was ensure that they were present and available to inconvenience us.

I wrinkled my nose and again wondered how on earth anyone managed to survive to adulthood in Roma's world. The nudges she described were definitely an improvement over outright Mastering everyone in my life, but that was still unfair bullshit.

And as much as I would love to help you, Roma cheerfully commented, you are still a favor behind.

I took several long, deep breaths and tried not to grow too angry with her. Oh, she definitely deserved it, but it would only prompt more comments about angry tiger kittens.

This is something immediately relevant to my safety, and you literally just taught me not to promise future services, I replied with gritted teeth. Keeping me ignorant doesn't actually help me.

If all learning was perfectly equal, then you would be correct. However, I firmly believe that lessons are best learned when they have been paid for. Lessons offered for free are too often treated as though they are worth the price paid: nothing. That outcome isn't fair to either of us.

I swerved to one side and leaned against the wall of a residential building, rubbing at my face with both hands. It was a stupid thing to be upset over, but I was still needing to blink and fight down the urge to cry like a loser again. The last twenty-four hours had been an utter mess, and Villain Roma had just told me that the universe would conspire to interfere with the repayment of any debts. I would need to offer more favors to learn how to keep it from screwing me over further, but offering more favors was a bad idea. It was a lose-lose situation. Although, maybe I could pay her with something that I'd already been considering? I hadn't been planning to charge a price, but if she was going to treat everything like a transaction…

I stiffened, abruptly remembering why I'd offered her free favors in the first place. I didn't want to worry about needing to trade with her; I just wanted help from someone. She'd said that we were friends, but she certainly wasn't acting like it.

My 'price' is something as petty as clothing, Roma protested. It would be difficult for me to sink any further; I can hardly demand foodstuffs when I no longer possess a digestive system or sense of taste.

It isn't that petty when almost the only money I have was stolen, and going out to fulfill your tasks is apparently fate-bait. Please, can't you just tell me? You know I'm having a bad enough day as it is, and I promise I won't forget. I doubt I could at this point.

Paying me with something you had already intended to do was a good idea, Villain gently coaxed. I am impressed by your ability to avoid consciously considering the subject of your thoughts, but this is another lesson you must learn: everything has a price even if you can often force others to pay it.

Maybe it shouldn't. I was starting to loathe that transactional mindset more and more as time went on, and even if it got me into trouble, it wasn't a framework that I was willing to accept. What about parents and their children? There's no price there. And don't say that 'children repay their parents by caring for them once they're old,' because we both know that there are plenty of exceptions to that. Actually, modern society tries to ensure offspring don't need to worry about that at all.

Taylor, my dear, that is simply a case of the parents paying all the relevant costs themselves. As much as I would love to spare you, I have no form, no body, and can barely pay them with anything short of my own death. I'm afraid that this isn't simply a matter of philosophy, but of survival—and I really should be charging you for this information, but I suppose the changes it provokes may pay their own price. Tell me, how many tales do you know where the hero survived their journey utterly unscathed? How often do villains pay a price in blood? It is important to guide events so that such tolls are ones that you are willing to pay. Attempting to escape them altogether is a quick route to true tragedy.

I slumped back against the wall and tried to breathe normally.

You're describing a death by inches. That's not just fairy-tale rules anymore, that's a curse.

Not if we shamelessly exploit character development!
Roma replied with enough cheer to give me whiplash. Not all costs are physical, my dearest Heiress, but this truly is a case where telling you too much would invalidate our ability to exploit many of them. I'm sure you'll figure it out given time.

I swallowed and slowly nodded. That sounded manageable, especially since that kind of 'cost' usually occurred over the course of entire books. I had plenty of time to figure something ou–oh. Villain hadn't said anything nasty about my plan to record my bullies so that my teachers couldn't say I was lying, but would it really change anything? They might even make noises about illegal recordings and conveniently ignore the content. I would need to do better than merely letting them push me down a few stairs if I wanted the Trio out of my life; they could all too easily claim that I had tripped, and recorded audio alone wouldn't be enough to contradict them. Meanwhile, fate might sabotage me and let them notice any cameras I might hide.

Oh, you are an excellent student! Roma applauded, her satisfaction somewhat infectious. Not enough to dispel all the unpleasant bullshit of the last day, but at least I was no longer teetering on the edge of another breakdown. You grasped that far more quickly than I had anticipated, given how remarkably stubborn you've been.

I still object to applying that to interpersonal relationships,
I retorted. That and metaphysical superpower weirdness are two separate issues. And anyway, if I really grasped it so quickly, then can we stop with the favor stuff?

I did say that particular lesson was not my primary goal, Villain refused, clearly amused. But I suppose I can be lenient. How about...

She trailed off, thinking, and I fought the urge to offer her something first. Roma kept trying to get me to hurt people, and she kept talking about prices, but those two demands never mixed. She could have artificially left me to struggle with this disaster of a superpower until I was desperate enough to agree to something truly awful. Instead, she only made demands for a small—albeit annoying—fraction of what she shared.

Although, she did talk about hurting people far too much for my comfort. Any gifts could wait until I knew whether or not she would abuse them; humiliating costume changes and the like were preferable to someone getting hurt, especially since she wasn't trying to mortify me. Well, not with the clothes, anyway—the kitten teasing still rankled.

…If she tried to demand that I go on a date, though, I was never doing another task for her ever again. That would cross so many lines that immigration agencies would come after me. For that matter, I was going to need to learn how to shut Roma out if I ever wanted to keep anything private, wasn't I? Romance wasn't anything I at all intended to seek out, but a disgusting number of stories featured a completely unnecessary love interest; I might need to wrestle with embarrassing ideas whether I wanted to or not, and I absolutely did not want to hear Roma's ideas of how relationships were supposed to go. Knowing her, it probably involved poison.

One of these 'smartphones' that you've been thinking about? she eventually proposed. For your 'civilian identity,' as you call it.

It was a good thing that I was leaning against something solid; the world felt as though it had suddenly shifted underneath me, and I might have stumbled if I was still moving. I'd expected more changes related to my outfit, not this. She wanted me to get a phone? A real one, not just a prepaid burner phone? She'd been in my head long enough to know why Dad and I didn't have them, so why…

Because Rise has a finite number of uses on any given day, and if you find yourself in a dangerous situation, then I may not be able to do anything more than watch you die. I am quite fond of you, my dearest Heiress, and the life-saving capabilities of remote communications should not be underestimated. It might help you make friends, too.

It was logical, reasonable, and not something that she should have needed to use a favor on. She could have convinced me instead, but it was a 'cost' and would let her get away with not demanding anything more. She really did believe what she'd been saying about paying for knowledge. Even if I looked at actions instead of just words, she cared about me.

I wasn't going to break down for the second time today. I refused—but unsteadily walked into an alley anyway. Even if I didn't actually start crying, looking as though I was close to doing so would earn me plenty of uncomfortable or disapproving looks.

The last day has been quite exhausting for you, it's true. Why don't you go home and rest? Roma proposed gently. I know the shape of your glamour and can guide you in remaking it whenever it is needed. It would not be unlike helping you with your hair in the morning.

Mom used to do that when I was little, and I suddenly wanted Mom to do it again so badly. It wasn't as though I could ask Dad; he was always busy, always gone. I could go home with puffy eyes and he would barely even ask if I was alright—assuming he wasn't working late yet again. He would just accept it if I told him I was fine even though I very clearly was not.

I thought I could get away with crying for the second time today even if Emma would probably mock me had she been present. Having Roma help with my hair wouldn't be the same as having Mom do it, yet I still wanted that help. I couldn't have that, though. Not because Roma was half-dead; her talk of strengthening had made it clear that could be a temporary state of affairs. No, I couldn't because Emma's lackeys had shown that people could pretend to be nice while planning to hurt me. I could frequently feel Roma's affection, but her morals were horrific enough to qualify as evil. She might be perfectly capable of engaging in horrific acts for personal benefit at a cost to someone she liked. Manipulating me into strengthening her would be entirely in character for the hypothetical villainous ruler of an evil empire even if I had trouble imagining Roma doing that to me. But that would be the whole point of making me like her, wouldn't it?

Why did she have to be evil?

Taylor, dear, Roma began, and I steeled myself for a lecture on how she didn't need to be anything, that she'd chosen to be that way for whatever godsforsaken reason. Perhaps you should purchase something to eat before you return home. It may help, and there will be no cleanup to delay your rest.

My startled laugh emerged as a hiccup. Roma's words might just be part of an ongoing and cold-blooded attempt to endear herself to me. That didn't make the contrasted concern hurt any less, and even my caution was starting to seem more like self-destructive paranoia. Having my life turn into a story had already made my life complicated enough; I didn't need to add certifiable mental issues to the pile. And speaking of stories, would a redemption arc work on Roma? Plenty of villainous moth—mentor figures underwent changes while teaching a moral apprentice. Even thinking that made me feel slimy, though, and I knew how loudly Roma would object to having her mind twisted like that.

Oh, I don't mind the idea of you weaponizing fate in such a manner, Roma hastened to reassure me. It would be delightfully ironic when considering my own attempts to turn you to villainy.

My laugh this time sounded just a little less like a dying animal. Those efforts were more evidence against Roma's kind behavior being part of an ongoing manipulation campaign: she was very, very obvious about what she wanted, and her rambling ideas of plots usually involved weaponizing the entire Boat Graveyard or something comparably conspicuous. I wasn't even sure the word 'subtle' was in her vocabulary.

I'm going to choose to ignore that on account of your current condition, Roma said primly, and I almost smiled. This was more familiar ground.

I'm upset, not deranged. Name one time that you were even vaguely subtle.

I nearly convinced you to practice necromancy motivated solely by harming me.

That didn't even take me two minutes to notice!

Weren't you going to go to bed?

I took a deep breath, rubbed at my eyes, and nodded. It was tempting to keep teasing her, but unlike certain people, I was capable of letting something go when someone wanted to change the subject away from an embarrassing topic.

She didn't argue the point, and I suddenly wished that she was here in body as well as mind. But I wouldn't, couldn't, risk empowering Roma. Not yet, and maybe not ever; she might be kind to me, but she still viewed normal people as expendable. It would be the height of selfishness for me to risk literally bringing a homicidal villain back from the dead just because I wanted her around.

That wouldn't stop me from wishing that I could.

Dad wasn't home when I got back. He didn't ask how my day was, why my eyes were still bloodshot, why I looked like a complete stranger until I looked in the mirror and remembered to remove the glamour. He didn't ask if I'd been anywhere near the mall, or call to remind me not to use up all the hot water when I indulged in a long shower. He didn't wish me a good night after I collapsed into bed.

Good night, Taylor.

Last edited:
Goddamn but is Roma good at what she does. I mean, obvious I know, one does not manage to become Empress of Preas and keep her life for a significant number of years by being incompetent, but still, that's some A-game temptation right there.

As much as I would have loved to go straight home and out of any potentially incriminating clothing, there was one tiny problem with doing so: I really needed to keep my disguising glamour consistent. If I started showing up with subtly different faces, then I would inevitably reveal that I did, in fact, count as a Stranger.
That does make me wonder. When the Wards inevitably debrief, Taylor's apparent ability to turn (her?) blood into light and sound would come to attention. Who's to say that she can't do that with her other body parts and make herself look whatever? Or just bathe in blood for that (which isn't even too far from truth)? And she is already a known Master, of the kind M/S protocols are primarily intended against, may as well slap a Stranger rating on her just to be safe.
One of these 'smartphones' that you've been thinking about? she eventually proposed. For your 'civilian identity,' as you call it.
Starting from here and till the end it all just reads like non-stop Roma's manipulation and trying to break Taylor away from her existing family. Sadly, Taylor is defenseless.

Starting from here and till the end it all just reads like non-stop Roma's manipulation and trying to break Taylor away from her existing family. Sadly, Taylor is defenseless.
Well, the existing family consists* of one (1) parent who is too depressed to actually perform any parental function beyond paying the bills.
So, not that much of a loss from Taylors point of view?

Last edited:
Name one time when I was subtle, Taylor. Yes, you noticed that one. Now go to sleep, little child. Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bed bugs bite.

...okay mom.

So, word is going from Ward boyfriend to Glory Girlfriend and an encounter happens due to Loose Lips on Fate encounter?

OTOH if involved with Coil, she will figure him out, on the local scene, will she work to turn Danny into a relevant Union Boss from another series? Not an Assassin?

On one hand, I admire the manipulation. It honestly won't be long at all for Taylor to slot our Dread Majesty into her Mother Figure role. Something she has been desperately searching for and needed.

On the other... god damn fucking old school Dread Empresses...

...it would be better off if she was Black level of villainy. Sadly she is Old School. The cacklers type. The ones who drove Praes into the ground to make their flying towers. I mean, sure, they get the job done but fuuuuuck.

At least it is Taylor. Pragmatic as fuck, tactically brilliant, and able to see some of the writing on the wall when not being blinded by Being Taylor is Suffering.

We'll see if Taylor ends up teaching Roma how to be a proper villain by the time this is over.

To be fair old school villainy much less fantasy sorcerous evil overlords are an out of context problem on earth bet which could quite likely work to Taylor's advantage by throwing both the local villains and heroes off kilter.

And regardless I supect it should be gloriously fun to read.

Back