Huh. Reminds me of my first nWoD session - creepy young girl in an asylum who'd been that age for a while. Highly doubt Kirsty is anything like her though (she was a Death Archmage's creation, or something like that). Not sure how she'd still be this young - possibly something that 'God' did to her?
Speaking of archmages, it is perhaps worth noting that attempting to force awakening with prime has a high chance of producing Banishers. And while Kristy isn't exactly a Banisher (the key effect of hating other mages is not present), the SIX effect has several similarities, including the whole "broken awakening" theme, the self-hatred, and the apparent contagious nature.
S IV Slaughter house 9, looks like she ran into Jack
The Slaughterhouse is a memetic virus in this universe, so I highly doubt an actual Jack Slash character exists here, given ES has the government coming down much harder on open Supervillans like heartbreaker. Canon Jack Slash has very little to stop Predator Drones.
EDIT-stupid spellcheck fixed, banister is now banisher.

Last edited:
Canon Jack Slash has very little to stop Predator Drones
Untrue! He has the magical metahuman power of plot protection!

Metahuman powers are like parahuman powers, but better, because they operate at a metaplot level. Like how Taylor's metahuman power is to always be confronted with problems that can be solved through creative use of bugs, even when they require other characters to do helpful things like not wearing a sealed helmet with an oxygen supply when their only weakness is their dependence on being able to breathe.

Metahuman powers are like parahuman powers, but better, because they operate at a metaplot level. Like how Taylor's metahuman power is to always be confronted with problems that can be solved through creative use of bugs, even when they require other characters to do helpful things like not wearing a sealed helmet with an oxygen supply when their only weakness is their dependence on being able to breathe.
It seems that all metahuman powers have actually been reversed in this story though. Taylor's power is in some way countered every other time she tries to sneak somewhere important with it, psychiatric help is consistently provided, and the power of the government is increasing instead of decreasing.

We can thus infer that upon receiving his power, Jack Slash spontaneously exploded.

Great chapter. The story ambience before and after the brownout scene is nothing short of uncomfortable/creepy. One might wonder how old Kirsty really is. And poor phobia, you deserve better than being shoved food like a goose about to be raised for foei gras :(

Last edited:
In all seriousness, knowing ES like I do I wouldn't be surprised if that's pretty much what happened.

Well, we do know that some parahumans can't control their powers in this story. With Jack's shard being about communication, parahuman powers most likely being supernatural, and there being much more supernatural beings to communicate with...

I wonder, given that the Slaughterhouse is a memetic virus, and that it is a IX, were there 8 other iterations on the wild that were "successfully" contained and eradicated?

So. I know Kirsty has the whole Obrimos thing to Taylor's Mastigos, but has anybody else caught some other suspicious similarities to canon?

You know, association with fire and a lack of control? Scars? Stuck in a mental hospital? Slaughterhouse?

Say it with me now. B...

So. I know Kirsty has the whole Obrimos thing to Taylor's Mastigos, but has anybody else caught some other suspicious similarities to canon?

You know, association with fire and a lack of control? Scars? Stuck in a mental hospital? Slaughterhouse?

Say it with me now. B...

I thought about it, but the Burnscar Labyrinth connection is too interesting to ignore if you're going to use Burnscar, what with her being pretty darn Mastigos herself.

Well, we do know that some parahumans can't control their powers in this story. With Jack's shard being about communication, parahuman powers most likely being supernatural, and there being much more supernatural beings to communicate with...
Alternativly, his name could be one of the biblical references. Wasn't Jacob known for wrestling an angel/god and demanding a blessing from it? Might be some connection there.

Alternativly, his name could be one of the biblical references. Wasn't Jacob known for wrestling an angel/god and demanding a blessing from it? Might be some connection there.
There is definitely a connection there.
Fridge/Worm said:
Jack Slash made Scion turn against humanity. Or, if we use their real names, Jacob led Zion to fight against the rest of the world, and both events occurred at the end of the world. Wildbow, you sly dog!

So. Given the description of the FBI Crow!Woman and now Kirsty (that *is* her name, yeah?), seems clear that we have at least three different exemplars/carriers of Slaughterhouse (possibly three variant strains too.)

It appears to be an additional source of powers in-setting that *isn't* the shards (or whatever homebrew cognates thereof EarthScorpion is using)

sounds like the poor girl is one of the Mysteres, children of human and denizens of other plains, with the father who was either an angel or a powerful spirit. Either that or her awakening was really screwed up.

Anyways, thanks for the update!

sounds like the poor girl is one of the Mysteres, children of human and denizens of other plains, with the father who was either an angel or a powerful spirit. Either that or her awakening was really screwed up.
Oh, good guess. Well done there.

Edit: Not that I'm saying you're right, since ES hides his plans even from me in this story. But that's a theory I don't think I've seen yet.

Oh, good guess. Well done there.

Edit: Not that I'm saying you're right, since ES hides his plans even from me in this story. But that's a theory I don't think I've seen yet.

I just like the concepts of various 'minor' supernatural templates in WoD. How Kristy acts and her powers sounds similar to the group of Hunters descended from demons, flipped around of course. of course a lot of strange beings get called 'angels' in nWoD, so who knows.

Or (if she wants to still present that image of unassailability) the tinkertech equivalent of that sitting in her throat.

Back