Also noted for its ending where both of them are shot dead in a point-blank execution with a silenced pistol by one of the series major antagonists, the Watch-Wearing Woman, when they're waiting for a train.

... the network decided quite finally that they weren't going to renew the series, so the producers decided to end it with a bang.

Would you say that the Watch-Wearing Woman might have some relationship with clocks? Or, perhaps, bell towers?

But the real truth is that they were run over by a young Middle-Eastern woman who had to swerve in traffic to avoid a drunk driver. Absolutely tragic. Sheer accident. :(

Course, nobody would have figured out what was going on there so they had to change it to make it more obvious that the Conspiracy had offed them. Executive meddling :(

PROVERBS 15:3 -The Lord God Sees All, Good And Bad
I dunno what others are seeing, but I'm seeing 1+5+3=9.
I wound up leaving with a two-hundred dollar camera he'd sold me for one-eighty, as well as thirty dollars of film. That was forty five pictures – they'd had a three for two offer on the fifteen dollar packs. My skin crept at the idea that each instant picture normally cost a dollar. Photography was apparently an expensive hobby. No wonder the old man preferred normal film.
180->1+8=9
45->4+5=9

12/12/03 THE LAST DANCE
1+2+1+2+0+3 = 9

Help

180->1+8=9
45->4+5=9
1+2+1+2+0+3 = 9

Help
Huh. Well shit; i'm starting to think that either there already is the Slaughterhouse 9 in the bay, or Taylor I'd infected and she doesn't realize it.

180->1+8=9
45->4+5=9

1+2+1+2+0+3 = 9

Help
Yay! Digital root is showing up!

For those who don't know: The digital root (also repeated digital sum) of a non-negative integer is the (single digit) value obtained by an iterative process of summing digits, on each iteration using the result from the previous iteration to compute a digit sum. The process continues until a single-digit number is reached.Wiki

TLDR: The digital root of a number is all the digits in a number added together, then repeat with the result until you have a single digit number.
E.g: 12=1+2=3, 43=4+3=7, 78=7+8=15=1+5=6.

This shows up/ends most often in 9, since the digital root of every multiple of 9 is itself 9.
9*1=9=9
9*2=18=1+8=9
9*3=27=2+7=9
9*4=45=4+5=9
9*5=54=5+4=9
9*414=3726=3+7+2+6=18=1+8=9
(There's a reason 9 is my favorite number)

Slaughter House 9 seems to be a memetic thing in this AU, so it is a fitting number, and one that lends itself well to subtle implementation.

Last edited:
Yay! Digital root is showing up!

For those who don't know: The digital root (also repeated digital sum) of a non-negative integer is the (single digit) value obtained by an iterative process of summing digits, on each iteration using the result from the previous iteration to compute a digit sum. The process continues until a single-digit number is reached.Wiki

TLDR: The digital root of a number is all the digits in a number added together, then repeat with the result until you have a single digit number.
E.g: 12=1+2=3, 43=4+3=7, 78=7+8=15=1+5=6.

This shows up/ends most often in 9, since the digital root of every multiple of 9 is itself 9.
9*1=9=9
9*2=18=1+8=9
9*3=27=2+7=9
9*4=45=4+5=9
9*5=54=5+4=9
9*414=3726=3+7+2+6=18=1+8=9

Slaughter House 9 seems to be a memetic thing in this AU, so it is a fitting number, and one that lends itself well to subtle implementation.
Hmm. That doesn't work for 9*11 (99=> 9+9=18). But then it gets back into pattern. (108, 117...)

ES... wow, this is a great story man! I burned through the archive in a two day period and really love all the little bits of symbolism and implication you're sliding in. It makes re-reading an absolute treat. The 9 thing is a perfect example, I was thinking that there was something going on there but didn't even notice the numerology (I thought the quotes were aimed at Taylor tbh, but then they started to drift and I wasn't sure.)

On a similar topic, did anyone ever bring up and/or notice that Sophia's power (if she even has one in this) didn't have a radiant reflection?

However there is one thing that's been bugging me @EarthScorpion. Change the names and the circumstances a bit and... you could make this into its own story. Your world is so different from canon Worm that you could probably swing the whole setting and the people involved as something original instead of a derivative work. Even the central themes wouldn't need much changing. The "attempted suicide" event wouldn't have to be the locker, other powers wouldn't parahuman-type super heroes and villains, and you'd have a lot more leeway in handling the characters. (Danny comes to mind, who is excellent in your story but feels like he's held back a bit.)

Even Taylor trying to be a hero. In your writing it very much feels like an intimate, personal quest to do some good in a whole that is so dark rather than the social pressure / expectation that we're all used to from Worm. The social and economic disparity highlight that to a crazy amount too, just taken on its own we wouldn't assume Heroes and Villains were the central conflict of this story. Which... I suppose it really isn't so far, but because this is Worm readers are just going to assume that it is.

I agree, 9's awesome.

Discordianism to the rescue!

The Principia Discordia said:
The Law of Fives states simply that: ALL THINGS HAPPEN IN FIVES, OR ARE DIVISIBLE BY OR ARE MULTIPLES OF FIVE, OR ARE SOMEHOW DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY APPROPRIATE TO 5.

So...

PROVERBS 15:3 -The Lord God Sees All, Good And Bad

A colon typically denotes a ratio, so the most straightforward arithmetic operation here is division. 15 divided by 3 is 5.

I wound up leaving with a two-hundred dollar camera he'd sold me for one-eighty, as well as thirty dollars of film. That was forty five pictures – they'd had a three for two offer on the fifteen dollar packs. My skin crept at the idea that each instant picture normally cost a dollar. Photography was apparently an expensive hobby. No wonder the old man preferred normal film.

The "I like you Taylor" discount here is $200 - $180 (or $230 - $210) = $20. The total number of items she left with is four (camera and three film packs.) $20 / 4? $5. Average special-customer discount is a five.

She paid the usual amount for two packs and got three packs. Two plus three is five.

12/12/03 THE LAST DANCE

Yeah o.k. this one is probably a Slaughterhouse Nine thing.
(Not that it doesn't still fit the Law of Fives; for instance, multiply the first digits by 1 and sum them, then multiply the second digits by two--because we're taking the second digit--and sum them, then take the difference of the two results.)

The Principia Discordia said:
"I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

Of course, the Law of Fives is explained on page 23 (probably because 2 + 3 = 5), which when you subtract the 5 that it's about leaves you with 18. What's 1 + 8 again?

Al, I'm getting from these equations is that Number Man has apparent ascended into God-hood and is trolling everyone with 9's.

By-the-by: Number Man has nine letters.

*Drops the Mike*

Oops, hope I don't have to pay for that.

Yeah o.k. this one is probably a Slaughterhouse Nine thing.
(Not that it doesn't still fit the Law of Fives; for instance, multiply the first digits by 1 and sum them, then multiply the second digits by two--because we're taking the second digit--and sum them, then take the difference of the two results.)
THE LAST DANCE

"THE LAST" letter of "DANCE" is E, which is the 5th letter in the word and in the alphabet.

Maybe someone else has already mentioned the idea, but I can't help but wonder what it would mean if she looked at someone in the Other World and they were completely normal. No visible difference from the way they look in the Real World. (As well as how she would react to that.)
She already has: herself. Also Kirsty, the really crazy girl from the institution who almost seems to have a stranger power. Well, Kirsty looked the same except for the blood-stained shirt that spelled out "S IX" three times, but that probably isn't important. Especially if you aren't a crazy person looking for nonexistent patterns in random noise.

I'm sure that any similarities between these two individuals are entirely coincidental.

She already has: herself. Also Kirsty, the really crazy girl from the institution who almost seems to have a stranger power. Well, Kirsty looked the same except for the blood-stained shirt that spelled out "S IX" three times, but that probably isn't important. Especially if you aren't a crazy person looking for nonexistent patterns in random noise.

I'm sure that any similarities between these two individuals are entirely coincidental.
S IX
S IX
S IX
6 6 6
6+6+6=18=1+8=9
Dun dun dun!
Might be coincidence though this time

So, I've been reading this. Taylor's had one incident when things went well, and now she's had one incident where things didn't go well. To some extent, that makes me wonder how she's going to react to this; if she'll change her methods, become more cautious, or she'll try and rationalize it away.

To another extent, I already feel I know how everything is going to turn out. You have the NWO knock-offs (don't deny it, I saw the JB initials) talking with the PRT, ready to classify Taylor as a memetic hazard (probably with some good cause). You have Taylor, who isn't going to try and stop her hero escapism since she might slit her wrists if she had to stop. She going to slip further down the moral scale without anybody to tell her "This is wrong" and "This is a bad idea", and she's never going to trust anybody enough that she'll get somebody to call her out. She's going to keep trying at being a hero until the "Maniacs" mentioned in 3.04 show up and recruit her, because she's got no place left to go- the PRT thinks she's S9, and the criminals are too self-interested for her crusading ways. At that point, the only mysteries left is the bodycount, and when she breaks ties with Sam and her Dad- or has them broken.

One thing I wonder about is on part of the differences between this world and canon Worm. In canon Worm, parahumans were screwed up. That was part of the reason there were so many villains; you had a lot of cases like Taylor's, of people in bad situations and in bad headspaces, without anybody to pull them out. For every stable parahuman (Miss Milita, Assult, Tattletale, Grue, Vista), you had one with serious mental problems or crippling personality flaws (Early Armsmaster, Regent, Panacea Rachel, Mark Dallon). Taylor, quite frankly, falls into the latter catagory thanks to her overwhelming trust issues; she only did as well as she did by a lot of blind luck, and a near-supernatural ability to keep her cool in combat (in game terms, she's good example of Composure 5).

If, as EarthScorpion stated earlier, the Government is actively recruiting parahumans heavily and enforcing law so that the population of villains is far lower, this implies the government has a solid number of people on it's payroll that, prior to 1980, wouldn't have passed the psych evaluation.

The political and social ramifications of overlooking the malfunctions having semi-functional weirdos for the sake of stability and military force (beyond "nothing good") is beyond the scope of this post. Though it does give a reason for the NWO knock offs to exist.

The second thing I'm curious about is the military involvement with the Endbringers. Going from canon, a half-hour's warning is quite a bit more than usual, and that's with tinkertech helping. A half-hour, to my uninformed mind, is not a lot of time to make a military deployment of any force. And endbringer battles (again, going by canon) generally occur on a single day. That's relatively small window for response time. One of the reasons I accepted that Endbringer fights didn't feature military in Worm canon is the problem of response time, and the other reason was the prohibitive cost. Unless you park a tank brigade and artillery unit outside every city, getting to the battle in any timely manner is going to be near impossible. And building up enough military to keep an anti-endbringer unit outside of every major city costs a ton of money. Tanks and planes cost millions of dollars each. Tinkertech stuff probably costs more. And that's without factoring in infantry, upkeep, and replacements for endbringer fights.

That's what, a billion of dollars of military spending per city? At least? On top of increased military spending against other nations? That is an absurd amount of money. I'm guessing that not only has taken money away from other priorities in the US, but that the occupied parts of South America are currently being stripped for cash to fuel the US war machine as well. Which would make the military-industrial complex absurdly powerful as well, being flush with all that cash and having a good reason/excuse to have it.

Comparing canon Worm with Imago, it's debatable whose done a better job. In canon Worm, the government is having problems maintaining monopoly of force, at least in Brockton Bay. This problem is in part due to the absence of traditional military. This is very bad for rule of law, to say the least, and limits the ability to solve criminal problems. In Imago, the government has solved the monopoly of force problem...but has allowed power to concentrate to the point where corruption has set in, and is suffering from similar problems to canon worm due to a lack of moral and political will, rather than lack firepower.

Finally, a literary review. The vibe I'm getting from this story is that of a tragedy. We're watching Taylor's doomed attempts to be a hero fail due to her inexperience, ignorance, and trust issues/willful isolation, and her slow moral decay as she rationalizes her misdeeds. It's a damn powerful character piece.

It's also taking freaking forever.

To me, this story's conclusion feels forgone. Between the introduction of the S9 and your own cynical style as an author, I don't see any real chance that there's no way Taylor's going to redeem herself, make things better, or learn proper heroism. She wasn't a hero in canon, and you're not going to turn her into one. That's fine! If anyone can write a train-wreck of moral corruption that you can't look away from, it's EarthScorpian. But the slow pace is keeping the plot from being engaging, and the sense of a forgone conclusion takes a way the tension that would otherwise compensate for that.

To use a visual metaphor, it's like a little old lady driving down the train tracks in her car. There's the looming threat of the train coming down the tracks and smashing the old lady dead. Ideally, one of two things occur. One, the old lady doesn't know she's on the tracts, and the train arrives relatively quickly; thus, we get to watch the hideous crash in horror and fascination. The other option is to stretch things out, and make the readers hope the old lady might come to her senses before the train shows up and get off the tracks, and get tension from the uncertainty. Your story, well written as it is, is taking a less-than-ideal third option where it's very clear the old lady is never going come to her senses and get off the tracks, but the train is still taking it's sweet time in catching up to the little old lady. So instead reading with fascinated horror or gripped with tension, I'm alternating between watching the (very pretty) scenery and checking my watch, wondering why the doom train is so late.

Last edited:
Finally, a literary review. The vibe I'm getting from this story is that of a tragedy. We're watching Taylor's doomed attempts to be a hero fail due to her inexperience, ignorance, and trust issues/willful isolation, and her slow moral decay as she rationalizes her misdeeds. It's a damn powerful character piece.

Delusional Evil as a tragedy in contrast to the comedy of Overlady?

Delusional Evil as a tragedy in contrast to the comedy of Overlady?

Pretty much. Louise and Taylor both have similarities in their delusions of rightousness, though Louise is less isolated; she has more people (Gnarl, Henrietta, Jennifer) to counteract her weaknesses, which means she'll fail less. Plus, since the Evil can get so monsterously overblown with it's atrocities, (and to a lesser extent, Good being hideously absurd with it's expectations on behavior) Louise can easily look good by comparison, and there's not real expectation her falling to their level. Plus, it's silly, and accompanied by unrelated comedy.

Taylor's moral decay on the other hand is not only treated more seriously, is also accompanied by circumstances screwing her utterly, and a hint of deconstruction of Worm's premises. Her relationship with Sam may progress to the point where she's got a friend who can help stop her moral slide, but her existence as a suspected S9 carrier dooms this in the long term if it even happens.

Which is part of the issue with Imago as a whole; Taylor's never going to get the chance to be the hero; circumstances practically dictate that things are going to end badly. There isn't a whole lot of conflict going on as well, and the looming threats hinted earlier haven't moved against Taylor yet. Taylor's heroics actually accomplishing some good seems unlikely- Taylor's past two attempts at heroism backfired precisely because she tried to bring a crime to light, rather than her methods in doing so; given her inexperience, I doubt other, more complicated solutions will turn out better. The only tension is Taylor's character development; her moral decay, and the possibility of her opening up to Sam. And that's moving at a snails pace.

Back