That's a shame, because from my view as a lurker, it is actually pretty good.
And I know that I´m not the only lurker.
The number of people posting, times three, comes closer to your real readers numbers.

Shame to hear that. Well, time to check out the reboot.

Alright, as a first timer on SV, I have to blame you and this story for my account here, and for my presence on ff.net, and the subsequent binge reading of Abyssal-related stories after I ran out of more of yours to read. (Thanks!)
Whatever you may think of your writing, to me this was a wholly enjoyable story, and one of the very few I liked most out of all kancolle-with-abyssal fics on ff.net. I don't even play the game, but your approach to the universe, compared to others, is excellent, and the characters are just fun to watch, so to speak.
It's a bit of a shame that you're wholly rebooting it, and I hope very much that you keep some or many of the same characters and general idea - and pacing, for that matter. I was, in fact, greatly enjoying that hundred thousand word intro for all the insight into the universe and the people in it. Could it all be improved? Maybe, I'm no writer, merely a picky and avid reader and roleplayer, but it was absolutely in no way bad, and I had a lot of fun with it. So, thanks for all the abyssals, please excuse my rambling, and I'll go check out your reboot and other stories now...

and I hope very much that you keep some or many of the same characters and general idea - and pacing, for that matter.
You have probably noticed by now, but almost all the characters are returning, so no worries about that. The pacing has to be sped up a little, although I shall endeavor to make the world-building better than before. ;)

All in all, please do enjoy your reading.

...though I'm curious. How would you compare AC to some of the other KanColle stories out there?

...though I'm curious. How would you compare AC to some of the other KanColle stories out there?
Certainly unique compared to most others I've read. It's the only SI Kancolle story on SV so far as I'm aware, as well as one of maybe a handful that tells the story from the Abyssal's PoV.

It's also interesting to see a possible version of Abyssal culture, though at times they feel too human in their interactions and apparent thought processes. Personally I think it would be interesting to see the SI have to navigate around being stuck with a civilization composed of existential horrors with only vaguely human minds and monstrous appearances out of necessity, though that's just me.

It's also interesting to see a possible version of Abyssal culture, though at times they feel too human in their interactions and apparent thought processes.
Admittedly the whole point of AC revolved on Abyssals being Not-So-Different from humans, having evolved to become like them somewhat, with some differing morals but almost the same.

RT will probably go along the same course...except that there will probably be a more prevalent 'inhuman' part inserted...

You have probably noticed by now, but almost all the characters are returning, so no worries about that. The pacing has to be sped up a little, although I shall endeavor to make the world-building better than before. ;)

All in all, please do enjoy your reading.

Oh yes, I have noticed, having just caught up in the reboot, and I am very glad to see familiar faces. I was actually worried there.

Enjoying, check, though to be honest I must agree with parts of another review in that I will actually miss Magician, and for somewhat similar reasons.

Ooh, comparisons are difficult, but I shall give it my best shot, while trying (and failing) at relative brevity...

The simplest point I could make is that I find incorporating many game mechanics (level, resources, expeditions, scrapping) to be typically jarring and immersion breaking, and those are very common elements. There's also a great deal of reliance on established and limited canon combat methods, or just blatantly silly-feeling invented ones, and a similar approach to the creation of kanmusu and abyssals. While I love a good AI, I think the spiritual-magical interpretation just fits better, and I prefer the approach that Abyssals aren't merely fallen/darkly-reflected kanmusu. It gives them more potential depth, I feel, likely at the cost of some tragic value, but I'm okay with that. This story (including by extension the reboot) just has a very grounded and real-feeling set of magical/physical 'laws' governing it, in that science and Abyssal magic seem fleshed out into full systems behind the scenes, and a solid feel of complex interaction, politically and socially, on both sides of the metaphorical aisle, both of which I found largely lacking elsewhere. In short, only this and one or two others left me saying "Yes moar naow." and refreshing ff.net daily, with attachment to characters and appreciation of setting, and nary a meta-cringe-worthy moment to be found.

Okay, last thing, one I've only seen done in a few total stories. It appears you have believably dramatically expanded the world of both magic and technology beyond magical floating girls with guns versus magical floating horrorgirls with guns, to the point that it feels like a living, evolving world on all sides, rather than a game-esque static war scenario. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for R&D, who knows!

I hope that answered the question and didn't veer too terribly off track...? Also, apologies for the ridiculous post length.

Edit: Oh sure, let's make it longer. I noticed another reply in there, and personally I like the not-so-different-from-human approach. Just had to say it.

Last edited:
@MagicianX26, I am curious as to what exactly the criticisms of the first iteration of this story were. Care to share?
I don't remember all of them, but there are some -

1. None of the canon shipgirls showing up
2. A somewhat confusing plot
3. SI was boring

All in all, many didn't care for the bits that @Eridyne liked; probably more interested to see their favorite characters than anything else. Its something to be expected - KanColle is more well known for its cast than anything else.

The 'pacing' problem was something I self-diagnosed.

Back