A Matrix Reboot...

Goodness. Not even 20 years to reboot.

... also, "one of the writers of the original X-men" is not exactly a shining compliment. There have been... like, three and a half good X-men films [1], and that wasn't one of them.

[1] First Class, Logan, Deadpool - and X-men 2 is the half, because it was good for the time but it really hasn't aged well.

Well at least they aren't having reddit write it.... oh god they are going to make a 'topical' red pill reference aren't they?

Umm... wow.

You know, I can actually see a good argument from a business perspective for doing another Ghostbusters, or rebooting Spider-Man. Because at the end of the day both those properties are pretty much just entertainment that don't have that much artistic significance to the medium. I feel like the vast majority of the time reboots aren't even that a big deal because the original was just fun entertainment from the time.

But the Matrix was a landmark movie, whether or not you think it's good it's a movie that completely changed how we think about sci-fi and action movies and shifted the paradigm of pop culture. It was so unique and interesting for it's time and was so well made that it can't be repeated, they tried that already! It's the height of arrogance and cynicism to think that you can just reboot it. It's like trying to do a wholesale reboot of the fucking Simpsons. This is one of the few movies that you could remaster and run in theatres again, and I would bet good money that you'd sell just as many tickets as you would with a reboot. There's a reason why they did a crappy sequel for Terminator and Jurassic Park and didn't just reboot them.

Last edited:
If they reverse the color of the pills to fuck with neckbeards, it'll be worth it. :V

As it stands, this is another genius idea from an industry known to be full of geniuses.

Call me when it gets into actual production...

Are they gonna give the Machines plot shields that allow them survive carpet nuclear bombing again?

The one good piece of news in the OP is that Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor (just watch Creed).

That's the one good piece of news. Even ignoring the crew and the relative youth of the Matrix and how it's not just a superhero origin movie...

Ahh yes, Matrix: The Awakening.

This is funny but actually also a very important critique. The Matrix came in the year 1999. It was explicitly inspired by cyberpunk and postmodernist fantasy like Mage: the Ascension, and its thematic motifs heavily emphasize the whole aesthetic of plucky rebels fighting the man and how that was the big worry because now there weren't really any more existential threats, it was about finding the freedom to express yourself and do whatever you want. And then the 21st century came and it turned out that the rage that was so big and heroic in the 90s empowers neo-Nazis and other fascists.

Is this the kind of movie you want to make in this environment?

Awakening sort of modernized itself by drastically changing its thematic background. Also the Exarchs fit the modern world, being above modern political concerns but willing to spread chaos and deliberately keeping humanity ignorant to keep themselves in power (rather than because in a postmodern world what you don't believe in literally can't hurt you), but I don't know if you could turn the Machines from a Technocracy-equivalent to an Exarch-equivalent.

Last edited:
Awakening sort of modernized itself by drastically changing its thematic background. Also the Exarchs fit the modern world, being above modern political concerns but willing to spread chaos and deliberately keeping humanity ignorant to keep themselves in power (rather than because in a postmodern world what you don't believe in literally can't hurt you), but I don't know if you could turn the Machines from a Technocracy-equivalent to an Exarch-equivalent.

So, to get the Machines-as-Exarchs working, amusingly it almost becomes a sequel to the OT. The rebels fought. The last One won. They cast down the Machines...

... except the world is a mess. People can't live in this world. They have to keep the Matrix running. And it only takes a generation or two for mighty intentions to be tarnished, a secret elite of "red pills" to rule over the sheeple who are worthy to realise the truth - and who are actually just Cypher-alikes, the snitches for the masters of Zion. Because the masters of Zion know that humans can rise up and take over. After all, they did. So they break out old Machine hardware and boot up loyal Agents as their crack enforcers for those cases when the red pills fail.

This is actually very interesting to me at least from the perspective on how attitudes have changed in some areas wildly in the past 17 years. I doubt Neo (or whatever the main character is in the case of a reboot) will be gunning down policeman and security guards indiscriminately in an over the top action scene this time. The way we view hacking and internet counter-culture has also changed drastically so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Also interestingly The Matrix is one of the few franchises where you can have a reboot in the same canon as the original since it has been established in reloaded that there has been many neos and many zions.

The one good piece of news in the OP is that Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor (just watch Creed).

That's the one good piece of news. Even ignoring the crew and the relative youth of the Matrix and how it's not just a superhero origin movie...

This is funny but actually also a very important critique. The Matrix came in the year 1999. It was explicitly inspired by cyberpunk and postmodernist fantasy like Mage: the Ascension, and its thematic motifs heavily emphasize the whole aesthetic of plucky rebels fighting the man and how that was the big worry because now there weren't really any more existential threats, it was about finding the freedom to express yourself and do whatever you want. And then the 21st century came and it turned out that the rage that was so big and heroic in the 90s empowers neo-Nazis and other fascists.

Technically The Matrix was ripping off The Invisibles which was making such critiques :D

It also obviously went to shit when they started to try and write their own thing. So the takeaway here is that this could be great if they rip off The Invisibles even harder and don't stop stealing from it.

So, to get the Machines-as-Exarchs working, amusingly it almost becomes a sequel to the OT. The rebels fought. The last One won. They cast down the Machines...

... except the world is a mess. People can't live in this world. They have to keep the Matrix running. And it only takes a generation or two for mighty intentions to be tarnished, a secret elite of "red pills" to rule over the sheeple who are worthy to realise the truth - and who are actually just Cypher-alikes, the snitches for the masters of Zion. Because the masters of Zion know that humans can rise up and take over. After all, they did. So they break out old Machine hardware and boot up loyal Agents as their crack enforcers for those cases when the red pills fail.
I don't think it's a good idea to have your plot be like "the world is secretly ruled by the masters of Zion". For multiple reasons.

OTOH the revolutionary vanguard turning into a dictatorship is somewhat interesting, if and only if they have Keanu be the new Smith.

At this rate it's also the best live-action GITS film we're gonna get :(

I don't want Michael B. Jordan in this movie, because of the possible risk of this movie becoming a career killer. I mean, it's more likely that this will just turn out to be bland, average-ass action schlock or best case scenario it's just glossed over like the Robocop reboot. But rebooting a movie like the Matrix is like playing with unstable explosives. He was already involved with a total critical flop in Fantastic Four, it would suck for him to end up in a repeat of that.

Back