A Matrix Reboot...

I'm not entirely opposed to this. The Matrix sans trenchcoats and 90's techno could work, maybe.

Goodness. Not even 20 years to reboot.

... also, "one of the writers of the original X-men" is not exactly a shining compliment. There have been... like, three and a half good X-men films [1], and that wasn't one of them.

[1] First Class, Logan, Deadpool - and X-men 2 is the half, because it was good for the time but it really hasn't aged well.

That reminds of me of the line from Aziz Anzari's Master of None: "Of the 15 X-men movies, it was definitely in the top 9."

To be fair, there's a lot of good stuff. That you could pull and given the Matrix being the matrix there's probably no dearth of talent willing to give a go.

I'm not confident it will be good but there's potential here.

I don't think it's a good idea to have your plot be like "the world is secretly ruled by the masters of Zion". For multiple reasons.

OTOH the revolutionary vanguard turning into a dictatorship is somewhat interesting, if and only if they have Keanu be the new Smith.

Oh my god I was reading @EarthScorpion's suggestion and something about it didn't feel right but it didn't click until I saw your post. That would literally be Alt-right: What These People Actually Believe: The Movie.

Oh my god I was reading @EarthScorpion's suggestion and something about it didn't feel right but it didn't click until I saw your post. That would literally be Alt-right: What These People Actually Believe: The Movie.

... yeah. Ooops. This is what happens when you just use the existing names for things.

(Well, apart from the fact that this would posit that the red pills are in fact secretly working for the hidden masters of the world)

You know what I would be down for more than this? Another Matrix sequel.

That's how little I like this idea.

Edit: fuck, give it back to the Wachowski sisters and another sequel might even be good. Set it in the post-war matrix where everyone knows they're living in a computer program but the people inside prefer it to the blighted hellscape of the real world. Throw in some intrigue about a group of edgy rebels in the Matrix who are trying to forcibly "free" people because reality is better than a lie or some shit. Maybe even make some red pill references, I dunno.

Last edited:
Back