A Light in the Dark: A King Arthur/Warhammer 40k Imperial Knights Story

Her mouth never moved, but Galahad could hear her voice as if it came from her body, not ringing in his mind like he'd heard a wretched psyker would be like. Nonetheless, he felt fear, the woman floating before him was not human, and was perhaps something a bit more than what Oberon was.
A Phoenix Lord?
And past the cliffs, like a cancerous growth, was a hulking thing, not quite ship, not quite castle, not quite hideous thorned plant. Galahad could feel its corruption, throbbing and pulsing, and a scent like Sir Turquine's herald entered his nostrils.
This gives me the image of Chaos corrupted Howl's Moving Castle.
or perhaps you really do mean that entity of the Gilded-Emperor, who once bathed in the water of this world.
That's probably the nicest reference to the Emperor I've ever heard from Aeldari.
"When I knew humans well, as friends, you had a religion. According to that religion, your kind was born damned, that long ago you did something so horrible it necessitated eternal punishment. Until, one day, a savior was born upon your earth, and through his sacrifice and his blood, that original sin was cleansed at last."
With how Aeldari were during the DAoT, it is still hard to believe that there were those of them that actually made friends with humans.

Obviously this is some aspect of Isha right, enduring her captivity to Nurgle, though presumably a rather wane and limited aspect if the daughter of Khaine and primeval mother nature is seemingly unable to even express the potential righteous violence of protecting a cub? Perhaps that's actually Isha's whole deal here, instead of shattering into a million piece like Khaine or hiding as a mad shadow like Cegorach, Isha has wrapped herself around her chains of Asuryan's old edicts and Khaine's blood-debts and now Nurgle's torment as an undead superposition of both living with the surviving Aeldari and being destroyed and absorbed into Chaos like her fallen kin, frozen in an eternal moment of impossible suffering with her voice echoing through time and space until at last their total extinction with the End of Days and with that the coming of Ynnead and her final end/absorption into that godhead.

And so, the remnant of Isha as presented is a ghostly reflection of a reflection, whispers in still waters, something to be seen out of the corner of your eyes and can not, must not, be acknowledged with direct eye contact- lest she become fully actively known in the thoughts of the Chaos gods, more than their mindless stomachs slowly grinding her up.

Isha is, as always, just the best. Just hands down one of the best beings in the 40k verse, and who does not deserve their fate. Also hey, a source of soul stones that is not in the eye of terror.

Prisoners All Part 2
Even though Galahad knew precisely where they were going, thanks to the Lady's mystical directions, he still found himself disoriented by moving through Annwn. He could get no true sense of how long they had been walking. Too long, he thought, far too long.

His guide had been silent, all the long hours of walking. He'd passed Galahad a brick of some kind of bread, which Galahad found sweet, pleasing, and filling once he had gotten past his reservations about eating food given to him by a fairy.

The river they were following wound through the land, and like the lake seemed to have no current to it. Beautiful and diamond-like, but as frightening as everything else in Annwn for its lack of precise reality.

It was almost a shock when Galahad saw animals upon the placid surface, a flock of ducks swimming and kicking up the only ripples he had ever seen upon the water here. He found himself staring at them as they walked by, trying to pick out any difference between ducks of the ordinary world, and the ducks of this otherworld. "They don't seem different."

"That is because they aren't any different," Oberon said with a sigh. "Ducks are ducks, regardless of where they were birthed."

"Disappointing," Galahad muttered.

"Perhaps. Yet do consider, your people and mine brought similar ducks here, long extinct on the home planets. And now, so long after, they persist. Perhaps within itself, that is a miracle to be celebrated." The alien never stopped walking even as he spoke, he didn't even look at the ducks.

"I guess," Galahad said, "are you sure they don't lay golden eggs?"

"That was a goose," Oberon responded dryly, "according to your foolish old stories. It is an impossibility, even for a bird of the Maiden Worlds."

"A what?" Galahad asked, confused.

"Our worlds. The Lilaethan."

Realms once settled by the Eldar race gave the image of impossible realms of absolute beauty, much like Annwn. Or, Galahad realized with a shiver, Avalon itself. Dare he ask the obvious question? He decided not to. Best to be ignorant, in this situation. "And you are the King of Annwn?" he asked.

"What gave you that impression? No, boy, I am but a borderguard. The King of Annwn remains Arawen, called the Deathlord by the foolish. He is the eldest of us all, and the wisest, and the strongest. I can't disobey him. If he told me to rip out your heart and throw it into the river, I would have no choice."

Galahad flinched and backed away, almost stumbling into the river.

Oberon looked back at him. "That was a joke. There would be no purpose to it. More likely, Lord Arawen would order us to keep you here, but that too I highly doubt."

Deciding to remain silent from then on, Galahad followed. Now he tried to look around, keeping an eye out for any other animals. More waterfowl appeared, peacefully swimming ducks, geese, even a pair of swans drifting elegantly down the river. Occasionally, a bird would fly overhead, though Galahad could never make out the kind. He could begin to see evidence of other life, but never any animal in the flesh.

"Are there more like you here?" he asked, unable to resist the need to speak.

"Very few," Oberon replied. He looked back, and he was smiling. "Though I don't believe I will be giving exact numbers to you."

"That's alright," Galahad said, oddly happy to have a more positive line of conversation. "It just seems lonely, that's all."

"Of course it is lonely. Yet I hardly mind it. I find I enjoy silence, the peace that can only come from doing very little." The alien looked away. "It is nearly time for you to leave, and I'll be alone once again. It may not seem so to your eyes, but we are nearing the place where you will exit, and make your way to your brother."

Galahad swallowed a little thickly. "Now that I am here, I'm not sure if I can do it. Even if I am brave."

Oberon reached into his long coat, and produced two spherical shapes. "It astounds me, how generous I am being, but I wish to provide what I can. Perhaps you remind me of kinder days, or perhaps I grow senile. Or, more likely, I simply desire as many minions of the enemy to die as possible."

Galahad took the spheres, carefully. They were solid and heavy, and made of a metal he didn't recognize from look or feel. Somehow, they made him nervous, and he handled them with absolute care.

"Press the button at the top, and be sure to throw them as far as you can. Are you good at throwing?"

"I am," Galahad said, with some pride. "What do they do?"

"They explode and destroy," answered Oberon, "within five seconds of the button being pressed. Press it again within that time-frame, and the countdown will cease. Hold down the button to delay it until you release it."

Galahad looked over the magical spheres, and it took him several seconds to find the button, so eerie was it hidden. "Thank you," he said solemnly.

"And here, one more gift." The eldar unwound something from within the cloak, a long silvery rope, so seamlessly tied it looked like a single thread of pure silver. "I wound it from my own hair."

The rope was delicate looking, and had a smooth texture to it, closer to stone than hair or fibers. "Really?" Galahad asked, a bit suspiciously.

"It'll hold your weight and more," Oberon replied, clearly not detecting the worry. "Best of luck to you, Galahad Prince of Benoic. I'd wish you to be of courageous heart, but I am certain my encouragement means little compared to that of the Lady you communicated with."

Galahad couldn't find the words to respond. With the rope wound around his shoulder, and the two spheres clipped neatly on his belt, he began to walk away. When he was many paces away, he turned back, and found he was unsurprised to find that Oberon the Borderguard was already vanished, as if made of mist.

****************​

Grass gave way to stone, the pink sky disappearing to be replaced by grim cold granite walls, and Galahad found himself making his way up yet another grotto. His heart was pounding, worry overtaking him. There were tales of trips to the Otherworld that seemed to take mere hours or days, only for the hapless humans to emerge and find that years had passed. He could find his enemy disappeared, his brother long dead, or even the entire world ruled by Chaos.

Yet Galahad remained as determined as possible, keeping as tight a grip on his courage as he could. Despite everything, the strange alien woman had enthused in him a determination, her magics had shown him his enemy still awaited him. It was up to him now, his courage and what tools he had.

So he emerged from Annwn, and was almost startled to cursing by what he discovered. It was still afternoon, at most two hours had passed since his brother had been taken by the Chaos Lord. Surely it had to have been longer than that? He took a deep breath, and stepped forward.

He recognized the land from the vision granted by the alien witch. The trees were not as thick here, as it approached the coast. It would be a long walk before he reached the cliffs and Sir Turquine's horrible castle.

Nature was eerily silent as Galahad began his new hike. It was as if everything had fled the area before he had emerged back into the world. He barely noticed, determination flooding through him.

For an hour, Galahad walked, until at last he emerged into a recognizable country. Ahead, he could see where the great cliffs and the sea began. Poking above the cliffs, he could see the looming hideous spire-growth that topped the Chaos Lord's hold.

"At least it is still here," Galahad whispered to himself. He felt weak before it. A rope, two exploding spheres, a wooden sword, and a short knife. That was all he had to fight against Sir Turquine and his army of retainers.

"Be brave," Galahad reminded himself, "you can do this." He stepped toward the spire. All he had to do was free his brother. Lionel would be able to handle everything that he could not. He'd be quick and brave and clever, and that would be enough.

When he made his way up toward the castle, he kept low to the ground, like he was stalking an animal on the hunt. Looking out over the cliff, he could see the sea deep below, and the shadow of the hovering lumpen thing floating above.

This close, Galahad could see it was indeed a castle, floating over the sea through some means he couldn't fathom. The only things he could recognize as human fixtures were the occasional parapet or vine-overgrown window. He could see the occasional figure, moving about the remains of the twisted wall. He could see no entry-way, and could only think of one way to enter the castle.

He produced the strange rope Oberon had given him, and very carefully tied a loop at the end of it. He lifted a thumb, and tried to gauge how far the nearest parapet was. He could make one out, some ten feet up, the stone jagged and spiked like a rose-thorn.

He aimed and threw the rope, heart pounding and hoping he would be able to do this swiftly. It almost startled him, when the rope went up and held tight against his pull. He had thrown true, and successfully caught on the parapet on the first throw.

Galahad took hold of the rope, and refusing to look down at the dark sea and sharp stones below, leapt forward. His feet planted firmly on the wall of the castle, and to his horror and disgust, sank down into it, as if it was made of some organic material rather than stone.

His hands tight on the rope, Galahad slowly began the climb. His small frame ached, his legs quivering from long exertion. Galahad set his jaw against the pain and kept climbing. A knight never surrendered to the pain of the body, not until the battle was done.

As he got closer and closer to the parapet, he saw to his horror a guard on the wall. A short thing, carrying a long spear and wearing a helm and a leather loincloth. The mutant was standing right next to the jut of stone Galahad's rope had looped around, but was looking right past it, seemingly entirely unaware of anything happening.

"Don't look down," Galahad whispered, praying desperately to the God-Emperor and any Saint who might be listening.

The mutant, as if acknowledging the prayer, did indeed not look down, instead walking away from the stone to stand at a different point of the eroded wall.

Galahad found himself rushing now, scrambling up the wall and pulling himself up onto firmer ground. He turned slowly, looking over at the guard, who was scratching his crotch and looking out at the cliffs.

Galahad set down his feet, and instantly winced as his boots clacked upon the stones audibly. He stumbled, and found his feet, looking desperately at his foe.

Time seemed to slow as the mutant turned, reaching down to seize his spear, eyes widening in blood-thirsty rage when he saw Galahad behind him. The monster opened his mouth, and barked something in a language Galahad didn't recognize.

Suddenly, Galahad was running, not away from the man, but towards him. He snarled out an angry cry, and rammed straight into the mutant before he could take up his spear or press the attack.

The mutant stumbled, and with a terrified all-too human scream, fell off the wall and into open air, spear flying from his hand.

Galahad watched as the mutant fell. Turquine's soldier struck the cliff face, ending his pitiful flailing, pinkish blood splattering across the stone, before falling down into the sea.

Setting his jaw, Galahad turned away from the sight of his first battle and made his way toward finding a way into the castle proper.

Oberon reached into his long coat, and produced two spherical shapes. "It astounds me, how generous I am being, but I wish to provide what I can. Perhaps you remind me of kinder days, or perhaps I grow senile. Or, more likely, I simply desire as many minions of the enemy to die as possible."

Galahad took the spheres, carefully. They were solid and heavy, and made of a metal he didn't recognize from look or feel. Somehow, they made him nervous, and he handled them with absolute care.

"Press the button at the top, and be sure to throw them as far as you can. Are you good at throwing?"

"I am," Galahad said, with some pride. "What do they do?"

"They explode and destroy," answered Oberon, "within five seconds of the button being pressed. Press it again within that time-frame, and the countdown will cease. Hold down the button to delay it until you release it."

Fuck, "Go, do a crime"-meme was already used. Now what am I supposed to do?
"And here, one more gift." The eldar unwound something from within the cloak, a long silvery rope, so seamlessly tied it looked like a single thread of pure silver. "I wound it from my own hair."
Take that, Galadriel, only giving three hairs from your head.
Galahad took hold of the rope, and refusing to look down at the dark sea and sharp stones below, leapt forward. His feet planted firmly on the wall of the castle, and to his horror and disgust, sank down into it, as if it was made of some organic material rather than stone.
Don't think about it, don't think about it, don't think about it.
Suddenly, Galahad was running, not away from the man, but towards him. He snarled out an angry cry, and rammed straight into the mutant before he could take up his spear or press the attack.
When in doubt, advance. Your enemy rarely expects it.

Prisoners All Part 3
Galahad removed the rope from around the jut of stone, pulling it back up and winding it back around his arm. Slowly, he looked around the castle he had found himself on.

There was no visible openings in the wall, at first glance, the entire thing the same black stone, almost featureless. So the wall, despite its clear parapet of some human make, seemed to be nothing more than a natural outcropping.

At first, Galahad felt a flicker of worry. But then he looked over the edge at the splatter of blood the guard had left on the beautiful cliffs. Clearly, the mutant had some way to get in and out of the fortress, even if it wasn't so noticeable.

First, Galahad found himself trying to hum the same song Oberon had, when they had first entered Annwn. Perhaps it was a spell to reveal hidden passages? But it sounded nothing like the song he recalled and nothing happened, and he quickly felt foolish. Obviously, a spell from one of the elder race wouldn't have any effect on a barrier formed from Chaos.

Galahad tried to think of any lesson he had ever had in such matters. Myrddin had been teaching Arthur and Cei certain esoteric subjects, but he'd only been able to join them on ones that didn't seem to have much use. In fact, all the lessons Galahad had been brought in on had felt more like play and storytelling than anything.

Sometimes, wise and clever as Myrddin was, Galahad thought he was rather too silly. Like when he had insisted that they play a game of hide and seek. Cei had cheated, of course, hiding in a cave she had blocked up with a large stone. He and Arthur had romped around for nearly an hour, he remembered getting more and more frustrated as the time ticked by.

Until Arthur had grinned down at him, and had walked up to the seeming solid stone. Revealing his sharp senses, he had found a gap in the stone, through which he pointed out the vague flicker of Cei's torch.

Cei had been angry of course, once Arthur pulled away the stone and Galahad had laughed and bragged in his excitement. Myrddin had cheerfully claimed there was a lesson to it, as there was a lesson in all things.

It seemed to Galahad the only lesson he could draw from that lovely day was there was always a clue if something seemed hidden. Arthur was sharp-eyed and clever of mind, possessed of a certain magic about him that allowed him to find things others could not. Galahad didn't feel like he could compare to his personal idol.

Yet, he knew to try as best he could, as he had this whole terrible adventure. He looked again at the walls, and was excited to see looking up the vague indent of an arch on the wall.

Galahad moved closer and placed his head close to the wall. As he looked, he noticed a seam in the wall, and very carefully, he placed his hand upon it and pulled. The wall turned out to be some kind of fibrous material, and it was simple to force it to bend and open like a folding screen, revealing a horrible cavernous hole in the corrupted keep.

Torches hung on the walls, and they glowed with baleful electric fire in lamps made of some hideous substance. They seemed to flicker as if alive as Galahad took his first steps inside the castle.

Despite the light, it was cold within and dark, and Galahad could make out nothing beyond the entrance. He swallowed down the primordial fear that threatened to consume him, and moved boldly into the darkness.

For a moment, it seemed to be nothing more than a cave, much like the one Cei had hidden in so long ago. It had a certain scent to it, much the same as the herald. The sickly sweet scent of something growing and living and yet deeply corrupted.

But Galahad, still keeping his wits about him and looking for any clues of where to go next, quickly made out that this place was a habitation designed for humans. Across the hall were several doors of ancient gray wood that nearly blended in with the stone around them. None had doorknobs, and seemed distinctly impenetrable.

The effect was that this had once been a place where humans had lived, but no more, which frightened Galahad more than the odor and the terrible light. Yet he refused to lose courage, he'd promised he wouldn't.

So he moved forward, trying to keep close to the shadows as he went. He was deeply aware that if a mutant entered the hallway they'd spot him almost immediately, no matter how well he hid.

Suddenly, he heard a rumbling sound, a low gurgle and several hideous grunts. Galahad slid very carefully forward, until at last he came on a door at the end of the hallway, open just a crack. He peered through.

One chair before a crude table leaned a hulk of a man, sound asleep. Before him was his meal, half-eaten slab of unidentifiable meat, a lump of cheese Galahad thought smelled almost rotten, and a tankard nearly the size of Galahad himself, on its side in a shallow pool of brownish liquor.

Galahad slowly stepped closer. The man had two things that caught his eye immediately. A short sword in his belt sheath and a small lantern of the sort druids would often carry.

The sword caught his attention immediately, it was a simple weapon, poorly forged, not at all like the beautiful blades Lionel and his father King Ban carried. But it was still a weapon, far better than the ones he presently had.

Swiftly, Galahad moved across the room, close enough that he could smell the drunkard's horrible odor. He could tell now the man was covered in bulbous growths, off-white buds of some evil flower. Without focusing on the reality of this horror, Galahad reached out and slowly slid the short sword from out of its sheath.

Soundlessly, the weapon came free, and Galahad stood still, staring at the surprisingly well maintained weapon. It was a broad blade, built for thrusting in close quarters, an infantryman's weapon.

Suddenly, with a rumbling grunt, the man was awake, sweeping out a blind hand to grasp at the offending Galahad. "Damn you, my sword!" he snarled. "Give it back, ye damned elf!"

Galahad didn't respond, and almost by reflex, he stabbed the sword upward, so it pierced under the man's mouth and jammed up and up into the softness of his brain. As he had been taught and told, he whipped the sword out swiftly, and sprang away as the massive body fell to the floor. He wiped the stained sword on the dead man's tunic, and then picked up the lantern on the table.

He had heard that assassins tried to hide the corpses of those they killed, but he was not an assassin, he was a knight to be. So he kept moving, rushing toward an open doorway, for another hall, this one doorless aside from the one Galahad had entered through, and lined with throbbing vines, covered in growths very similar to the ones that had marked the drunkard.

The general smell of the place was growing stronger, almost threatening to knock Galahad to his knees. Perhaps this was part of Chaos' defenses, to form an environment counter to all who hadn't adapted to it. Whether this was the case or not, Galahad refused to fall until he had saved his brother.

Slowly, he made his way down the hall, short sword in hand. For now, he kept the ancient lantern off, and moved with the silent tread of a bandit in the night. Aside from the two guards, the place seemed as empty as a tomb, and every door Galahad passed was covered over with growths, blocking any entry.

All, that is, but one, which was wide open, sending a burst of light into the dim dark hallway. For a moment, Galahad considered entering, but he heard low, strange, groans emanating from it, distinctly human sounds of great pain or, perhaps, pleasure. Galahad gave the open door a wide berth as he walked by, not daring to look within.

Suddenly, ahead, there was the clanking of armored footsteps. Reflexively, Galahad ducked into the room, deciding to take his chances within. He watched as two mutants stomped by, wearing heavy armor that concealed most of their bodies, speaking in a strange flowing language he did not recognize.

If they were relief watchmen, Galahad knew they'd find their fellows dead swiftly. Either way he had to keep moving.

"A child?" the weak voice startled him, and he turned.

The room he had stumbled into, despite his worries, was a fine bedroom. The voice had come from a massive four-poster bed, and the face that spoke to him had turned over to look in his direction.

She had been a human woman, at some point, but her head had transformed into a massive flower, pollen leaking out slowly, she was very nearly bound to the bed with thorny stems that grew out from her remaining human flesh. She had only one human eye left, watery and with a pupil dilated far more than a human eye could contain.

Galahad stood very still, and didn't take another step. The woman, the Chaos mutant, didn't seem dangerous, but that could well be a trap. He nodded in response.

"Good. Do not speak, and do not come closer. My body is emitting a powerful pollen, many of the warriors here are addicted to it, but for a child yet untouched by Chaos it would near destroy you."

Galahad shifted a step backward.

"I suspect you wonder who I am, and why I have not called for the guards to come and dispose of you?" Her voice was languid. "I assure you, the God-touch is demanding I have you slain, it near desires me to rip myself from my bed and tear you to pieces. Yet, I don't desire this myself." She sat up a little on the bed, and Galahad realized to his horror the vines barely contained her, she could do as she said quite easily. He gripped his sword a bit tighter.

"I am, or was, Sir Turquine's own honored mother. No longer, I think, his new mother is something beyond the petty bounds of the womb. The God-Thing makes a mockery of such paltry things as flesh and blood." She chuckled dully. "You are of the stock of men who yet defy the Gods. Fools who still worship the Corpse-Emperor and the Lady of the Lake. Nonetheless, all are fools if they still worship the Gods." She was rambling in an unbreaking spool of words.

Galahad looked over his own shoulder, starting to fear. The woman-mutant was clearly insane, hopped up either on the Chaotic magics that flooded this place or some incomprehensible sorcerous drug.

"Yet clearly you are here on a quest, infiltrating so cleverly." She sniffed suddenly, and she let out an eerie groan. "You have the scent of the fair folk upon you as well, you bare their wretched tools. The God lusts for them, body and soul. What do you risk, what is your quest?"

Galahad lowered his voice to be as quiet as he dared. "Prisoners," he said, quickly. It seemed as loud as thunder, nonetheless.

"I see. So you are here to try and free those held at my son's mercy. It may interest you to know that number has grown, and yet has also shrunk." Her sole insane eye watched his reaction.

Galahad forced himself to remain as neutral as possible, though he shook a little at her scrutiny. He had no idea if she was lying, and even if she wasn't, what her true meaning was.

The woman sat up a little, and the sheets and vines began to fall away from her. Galahad didn't look away, trying his best to focus on the single insane eye, the one part of her body that remained human. "Behind the bookshelf is a hidden passage. Move straight ahead, and you will find a ladder, hopefully not too degraded. Turn left at each corner you find, and you will reach part of our dungeon. Do you understand me, boy?"

"No," Galahad admitted, "why do you help me?"

"Help you? Hardly." She smiled. "I am bored, child. I'm stuck to this bed until the final flowering, and I desire entertainment. It has become too safe here, too much of a routine. Do as you will. All shall fertilize the seed in the end. Open the bookcase, and leave me to my dreams." Slowly, she leaned back into the bed.

Galahad gave the fourposter a wide berth, opened the secret passage as directed, and disappeared within. He was afraid, but it was a child's fear. An adult may well have gone mad speaking to such a woman.

Last edited:
Sometimes, wise and clever as Myrddin was, Galahad thought he was rather too silly.
Myrddin, silly? Well, I never! :V
Torches hung on the walls, and they glowed with baleful electric fire in lamps made of some hideous substance. They seemed to flicker as if alive as Galahad took his first steps inside the castle.
This is Chaos, so they might as well be burning souls.
SUddenly, he heard a rumbling sound,
Suddenly.
Galahad didn't respond, and almost by reflex, he stabbed the sword upward, so it pierced under the man's mouth and jammed up and up into the softness of his brain. As he had been taught and told, he whipped the sword out swiftly, and sprang away as the massive body fell to the floor. He wiped the stained sword on the dead man's tunic, and then picked up the lantern on the table.
Quick thinking and impressive feat.
She had been a human woman, at some point, but her head had transformed into a massive flower, pollen leaking out slowly, she was very nearly bound to the bed with thorny stems that grew out from her remaining human flesh. She had only one human eye left, watery and with a pupil dilated far more than a human eye could contain.
Nurgle does some of the most disgusting stuff.
"Help you? Hardly." She smiled. "I am bored, child. I'm stuck to this bed until the final flowering, and I desire entertainment. It has become too safe here, too much of a routine. Do as you will. All shall fertilize the seed in the end. Open the bookcase, and leave me to my dreams." Slowly, she leaned back into the bed.
Chaos is just one of many enemies of Chaos.

Prisoners All Part 4
Galahad refused to look back at the twisted mutant woman as he entered the passage. The passage was mechanized, using an old machine spirit that groaned and wailed as it creaked open before him. It was nostalgic, in a way, his father's castle had similar doors, though they were not so neglected.

There were no lamps in the winding cavern, and the old lamp proved unreliable, just barely illuminating a foot in front of the young Prince. If he were fully grown he'd barely have room to move, the walls would be too tight. An army would have to move single-file, making the passage near worthless even if it was found by an invading force.

The passage wound impossibly downwards, at seemingly random angles. Galahad sometimes saw holes to fire arrows into the place, or to dump boiling oil within that now opened up into nothing but old stone, useless for mortal warfare.

Galahad kept his sword drawn, pointed ahead of himself as almost a warding gesture. As time inextricably ticked by, he began to worry that he had been tricked. What if there was no exit? What if Chaos had tricked him into walking straight into its belly to be consumed? He kept his steady grip on his sword, as he had been taught, ready to cut himself free if need be.

But nothing came for him, the old hidden passage winding for nearly an hour, before at last Galahad came upon an ancient metal door that slid upon as he pulled on it, revealing an indent lined with spikes, crusty with ancient gore. Trying not to think of them, Galahad reached out, and pressed heavily on it.

The horrible thing opened slowly but steadily before him, and Galahad stepped out of the coffin into a room that smelled of blood and death. Reaching behind he closed what turned out to be a hideous metal coffin with a leering hideous face.

"Who comes?" a weak voice croaked. Dangling from the wall was a broken, emaciated form, a filthy bandage wrapped around their eyes.

"Prince Galahad of Benoic," Galahad replied, walking up to the tortured figure.

"A Prince indeed?" This close, Galahad could see the figure had been a man, though his nakedness revealed the completeness of his torture, his ruin. "Benoic is one I have not heard of, yet you don't seem like the Prince of a realm ruled by Chaos."

"I'm not," Galahad said a bit hotly, "I am here to free my brother, Sir Lionel, and all those Sir Turquine has taken hostage."

"I am unaware of any new prisoners. Those who are not knights should be held here, but knights, oh that is a different matter." The man's breathing grew ragged. "Forgive me, but I have been forgotten here. I know nothing of what has happened, since the Seed washed on our shores."

"Seed?" Galahad asked.

"Once I was a servant of the family, Priest of the God-Emperor, our isle was isolated and safe, free of the malign influence of Chaos. One day we would lend strength to the High King, as would be our duty. But then a Seed washed up upon the shore, a Seed no mortal could recognize. Sir Turquine became obsessed with it, determined to find out what would make it grow. Too late, we realized the Seed came from the Realm of the Dark Gods, its very presence infecting the people. Sir Turquine did indeed realize what would make the Seed grow. He planted it in the soil it demanded: His own flesh. He is no longer human, now."

Galahad remembered the emergence of Sir Turquine from his hideous machine, he was having trouble telling everything the tortured priest was saying, but he could definitely understand the idea Sir Turquine was not human anymore.

"Where would he be holding his knightly prisoners?" Gahalad asked, hoping beyond hope.

"I know not. The very layout of this place has changed. That passage you exited used to open into the guard room next door, not into the torture chamber. Yet I can suggest that they would be held near Sir Turquine. For they exist for his own interrogation, his own needs." Another ragged agonized breath. "No reason, just Chaos."

Galahad began to check around the room, the rattly old desk, the hideous implements. "I'll get you down," he said.

"No. This is my rightful punishment. I didn't keep the ruinous powers from getting a hold on the isle, so let me hang here, and die the slow death I so deserve." From the way his body seemed, Galahad had a horrible feeling the man couldn't walk or fight at any rate. "Best of luck, Prince Galahad. The Emperor Protects the Righteous, never forget that."

The alien grenades and rope burned at his side, and Galahad found himself worrying if such as him could be considered righteous now, having accepted aid from a xenos. This, he decided, he wouldn't bring up to this poor former priest. He simply accepted the gesture, and left the terrible room behind.

The heavy old metal door opened and revealed a corridor, overgrown with green-brown vines and lined with old metal. Galahad stepped into the corridor, and found himself thinking grim thoughts. The Priest said the Emperor Protects, but clearly had not been protected himself. In a twisted way, it gave Galahad hope to think of that, this was reliant on his own skills and courage.

There was a sound of rushing air, and something soared over Galahad's head. Turning, he saw a thing that had once been a man, an arm extended toward him. From the arm was a long and spiked tendril that went over Galahad's head and into the corridor beyond. The mutant warrior had a bandage wrapped around its head, similar to what was around the tortured and broken priest. Whatever sense it had remaining had allowed it to know an enemy had entered its range, but hadn't allowed it to take into account Galahad was but a child.

Galahad didn't allow time to comprehend and rectify its error, as the thing hesitated for an instant, confusion somehow very evident upon its twisted face, Galahad being to hurtle forward, short sword held forth.

The monster realized what was happening an instant too late, and began to pull back its tendril, the attachment beginning to drag on the ground. Its face twisted into a rictus of confusion, of panic.

Galahad swung his sword, and hacked open the mutant's kneecap, destroying tendon and artery instantly. As the enemy staggered on its ruined leg, he moved again, driving the blade deep into the back of the creatures head, having to spring lightly up as he did.

The mutant buckled, and fell dead to the ground, Galahad standing on top of its back. He drew his blade free, and backed slowly away from the dead man. He had barely been aware of what he had done, just like when he had killed the other two guards. He felt the stirrings of pride, but also utter disgust.

The guard had an ancient key ring dangling from its belt, and Galahad lifted it free after a moment of horror. He saw what was on the end of the tendril as well, it was a massive sphere lined with metal spikes, reminding him of a seed made of wood and metal. He didn't look at the juncture between arm and tendril, and turned to the door.

There were three keys on the ring, and luckily the first one fit. Galahad swung open the prison door and slowly walked within. "Hello?" he called softly, looking around. The rows of cells stood empty. Yet Galahad didn't despair, why post a guard on empty cells.

He stepped forward, deeper and deeper into the chamber. The dungeon wasn't that dissimilar from his father's, though King Ban eschewed instruments of torture, considering them uncivilized.

He heard, suddenly, a sniffling, a bitter weeping sound. He hurried forward, toward it. Huddled in a cell near the farthest wall was a woman in familiar garb. "Juliana!" he called, a bit excitedly.

She looked up. Her face was pained and tear-stained, but she seemed more angry than despairing. Her eyes widened. "Prince Galahad? What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to rescue my brother and you, where are the others?" Galahad asked, looking around.

"Dead," she answered flatly, "the mutants devoured them in front of me, dissolved them in acid and drank the sludge that remained." She seemed to realize who she was speaking to. "Prince, you shouldn't be here! It isn't safe!"

"Well I'm here anyway," Galahad said, a bit petulantly, "we have to avenge those who are dead. Do you know where the mutants who devoured them are?"

"They should return soon," Juliana said, "or at least that herald should." She moved forward into the light, and Galahad saw more of her. She placed her left arm on the bars. Her right was gone, her bare elbow nothing more than a burned stub. "He said he wants to savor me, limb by limb, piece by piece."

Galahad slid a finger over one of the grenades at his belt, the perfect deadly sphere comforting now. "Stay here, I'll take care of it."

She laughed. "No. Unlock the cell door, Prince." She took a deep, steadying, breath. "I'm the adult here, so I shall keep you safe, not the other way around. I'll just need a weapon, and I'll make the bastard pay for this."

Galahad knew full well he would be doing the fighting, as he had been now. Yet he didn't argue that, and without another word unlocked the cell door.

Dead," she answered flatly, "the mutants devoured them in front of me, dissolved them in acid and drank the sludge that remained." She seemed to realize who she was speaking to. "Prince, you shouldn't be here! It isn't safe!"
Nurgle and Slaanesh cultists have something of a working relationship.

Would definitely explain the Brundlefly situation here.

"Once I was a servant of the family, Priest of the God-Emperor, our isle was isolated and safe, free of the malign influence of Chaos. One day we would lend strength to the High King, as would be our duty. But then a Seed washed up upon the shore, a Seed no mortal could recognize. Sir Turquine became obsessed with it, determined to find out what would make it grow. Too late, we realized the Seed came from the Realm of the Dark Gods, its very presence infecting the people. Sir Turquine did indeed realize what would make the Seed grow. He planted it in the soil it demanded: His own flesh. He is no longer human, now."
So that's how he came to be and was corrupted.
There was a sound of rushing air, and something soared over Galahad's head. Turning, he saw a thing that had once been a man, an arm extended toward him. From the arm was a long and spiked tendril that went over Galahad's head and into the corridor beyond. The mutant warrior had a bandage wrapped around its head, similar to what was around the tortured and broken priest. Whatever sense it had remaining had allowed it to know an enemy had entered its range, but hadn't allowed it to take into account Galahad was but a child.
Arrow traps, never account for short people.
He heard, suddenly, a sniffling, a bitter weeping sound. He hurried forward, toward it. Huddled in a cell near the farthest wall was a woman in familiar garb. "Juliana!" he called, a bit excitedly.
Yay, she is still alive!

Prisoners All Part 5
When the door opened, Juliana staggered clumsily to her feet, swiftly trying to hide her ruined stump behind her back. She stood for a moment, crooked arm, and seemed to be trying to regain her composure.

Galahad felt a surge of impatience. "If you need to stay behind, I can do this alone," he said, trying to sound confident and masculine.

She gave him an exasperated glare, that would have sent him stumbling into embarrassed apologies if he wasn't so hardened by the events of this wicked day. "I just need a moment," she replied. "Prince Galahad you can't do this without an adult, whatever you intend."

"I've already killed three of them," Galahad said darkly.

"Oh." She stepped forward, pale, able somehow to worry about another. "That must have been hard."

"It wasn't at all," Galahad declared. He found himself starting to move away, shying from any attempt at sympathy. It wasn't required.

At last, Juliana stepped out of the cell. She looked exhausted, her cheeks tear-stained, but by the moment she seemed to be gathering confidence. Her eyes, suddenly, alighted on Galahad's rope and the two strange spheres at his side. "What are those?" she asked, her eyes widening.

"A rope, and two spheres I've been told will explode if I do the right thing," Galahad responded, walking down the hall, looking for more prisoners. He could see nothing living aside from himself and Juliana.

"They don't look of human make," she whispered, fear in her voice. "Galahad, how did you get here so swiftly without a car?"

"I had help," Galahad said. He opened another cell door, through which he thought he could see a hunched figure, but all he found within were old yellow bones.

"Not from daemons," she said softly, reasoning steadily. "Oh. The Tuatha."

Galahad looked back at her pale face. "You know of them?" he asked.

She nodded, her face pale. "My father was a man-at-arms, and he secretly gave occasional sacrifice to Crom, one of their war gods. He was a loyal man, you must understand, but he told me the elder race still holds some sway here, so it is only reasonable to give some difference to their divinities."

"That seems a bit foolish and dangerous," Galahad noted.

"Probably. My father is long dead now. He was from the Isle of Eire, and there Crom is thought to be close by. I'm not sure why he insisted, really, he always did say Crom cared little for mortal lives." She walked into the cell, looking down at the old bones.

"There is no one alive here," Galahad said simply, "let's go. Do you know where Lionel would be?"

"Sir Lionel was torn away from us, Sir Turquine went with him." She closed her eyes, shaking. "I think they went up the stairs. I can point out which ones if I see them. Towards an upper level, I know that much."

"Near Sir Turquine's quarters. What does he want with knight prisoners?" Galahad whispered.

They began to make their way back down the hall. "There are rules about noble hostages," Juliana said. Her voice was full of doubt. Sir Turquine had betrayed everything, they both knew full well.

There was a sickening, gurgling, sound behind the door, and when they swung it open they found a thin creature kneeling before the corpse of the mutant Galahad had killed. A long tube structure protruded from the creature's twisted half-human face, and Galahad could see the substance of the dead mutant moving up it. He drew his sword without a word.

The monster turned its head slightly, not stopping to drink. "Oh, so you were the one who murked poor Flail. I was wondering how he had missed. His aim was near perfect, but children with sharp blades are not expected."

"Monster," Juliana spat.

"Mayhap. For what it is worth, my desire was to kill you swiftly, Lady. Usher you unto the Grandfather's garden with all its grand rotting delights. Yet the Herald holds more to Slaanesh, the thing for whom no stimulation is enough. He wished to savor your flesh. Be wary, boy, for he will try to savor a child as well."

At the mutant's side was a warhammer, deadly and perfectly weighted, but the twisted thing did not make any move to attack. Galahad took a tentative step forward, sword ready. "I'm going to kill you, now," he said coldly.

"Oh for certain. I cannot stop once I start eating. Flail is ambrosia to me, he makes for a better meal than a guard, I think." The hideous dead body began to steadily deflate, the skin crinkling like old paper.

Galahad walked forward, and without word or sound, brought his sword down thrice on the kneeling mutant's neck. The creature slumped upon the half-devoured corpse of its fellow, head barely holding on by a thread of bloody skin. "Let's go," Galahad said flatly, starting to walk forward.

Juliana kneeled and pulled the warhammer free of the dead mutant's belt. "Prince Galahad," her voice was quivering.

"It was nothing," Galahad said coldly, "that was one of the people who ate our friends, right? I shouldn't feel pity or sorrow over such a man."

*********************​

They made their way down the hall, slowly and carefully. Juliana insisted on leading now, warhammer held firm in her one remaining hand. Galahad watched her as she walked, realizing, rather suddenly, that she wasn't so bad at carrying her weapon or being attentive to her surroundings. He couldn't quite focus on what that meant. "I should be leading," he grumbled softly.

"You've done enough," Juliana hissed back. She stiffened suddenly. "I apologize, Prince, that sounded like a condemnation, I would never dream of doing such."

Galahad frowned. He wasn't sure why Juliana was so upset. His father had once told him that when women were angry, one just had to listen and nod and try to parse what exactly had gone wrong. And he had no clue what had her so upset. "I don't know what made you so angry," he said at last, "so I take little offense by what you are saying."

She shot him a glare. "You came here with little plan, with the aid of alien creatures whose motives no one understands, to face a Chaos Lord empowered by one of the Ruinous powers, when all your brother wanted was for you to get away safe."

"That wouldn't have been possible," Galahad grumbled, trying to not sound like he was arguing with the serving girl, just stating what was true.

"I know," Juliana said bitterly, "I remember that sorcerous trick well. The truth is…by the God-Emperor you killed a man right in front of me, and you did it so casually. Prince Galahad, that isn't something a child should be able to do so easily."

"It wasn't hard at all," Galahad replied, his voice still mild. "Father told me once that killing the enemies of the world should be as easy and natural to a follower of the Code Chivalric as making love to a woman or eating or breathing."

Juliana stumbled a little, and for some reason seemed to relax, trying not to laugh. "Do you know what that first thing means, Prince?" she asked after a moment.

"Father only said it would happen when I'm older," Galahad said. The tension seemed to cool, and they settled into an easy rapport, two survivors after the same goal.

The hall around them slowly became more furnished, and more natural. Most of the coiled plants and pale white buds were replaced with tattered artwork, depicting warriors in motion, knights in great armor, the crest on all of them defaced and burned away. The relics of Sir Turquine's family, a history that was in the process of being destroyed and obscured.

Galahad opened a door, and he and Juliana stepped into a grim dining hall, empty, cold, and silent as any grave. The throne at the front of the table was overgrown with filthy thorny vines, and the place stank of rot and stale wretchedness.

"Where is everyone?" Juliana asked, looking around sharply.

Galahad stepped past her. "Probably lucky for us," he said stiffly.

"Prince, wait!"

Ignoring her, Galahad stepped past the great table. Beyond the throne was a massive painting, burned and rumpled and nearly destroyed at the edges. The painting showed nearly true as life a great and handsome man, a helmet under his arm, a proud smile on his face.

"Sir Turquine," Galahad said. He suddenly felt ill and pained. In the painting, Sir Turquine didn't look so different from his brothers Lionel and Bors, or even his father.

Juliana put a hand on his shoulder. "We need to keep moving, before…"

"Too late," a whisper carried over the hall, seeming to embed directly into Galahad's mind. The hideous and familiar voice, accompanied by a hideous and familiar corpse-smell.

The Herald stood in the doorway. His hood was down and his horrific vertical mouth was quivering, on the brink of being open. "I am so disappointed in you, Juliana, trying to flee from me. Yet, in the end, you brought the child back somehow! Oh how I cannot wait to savor." The mouth split, and a long thorned tongue snaked free. "Oh yes, to savor."

Beyond the throne was a massive painting, burned and rumpled and nearly destroyed at the edges. The painting showed nearly true as life a great and handsome man, a helmet under his arm, a proud smile on his face.

"Sir Turquine," Galahad said. He suddenly felt ill and pained. In the painting, Sir Turquine didn't look so different from his brothers Lionel and Bors, or even his father.
Hm. Yes, this is Sir Turquine, one of the Knights who was a longtime enemy of the Round Table, captured many of its members, and gave Lancelot one of his hardest fights.

And yet, this devotee of The Prince of Pleasure shares a motif with the Daemon Primarch, a grand painting of their uncorrupted likeness. A motif with a common literary origin, especially considering someone already tried to target it…

Is this Chekhov's Dorian Gray?

"Probably. My father is long dead now. He was from the Isle of Eire, and there Crom is thought to be close by. I'm not sure why he insisted, really, he always did say Crom cared little for mortal lives." She walked into the cell, looking down at the old bones.
Who was he, the freaking Conan the Barbarian?
"Oh for certain. I cannot stop once I start eating.
Seems like a design flaw.
"I know," Juliana said bitterly, "I remember that sorcerous trick well. The truth is…by the God-Emperor you killed a man right in front of me, and you did it so casually. Prince Galahad, that isn't something a child should be able to do so easily."

"It wasn't hard at all," Galahad replied, his voice still mild. "Father told me once that killing the enemies of the world should be as easy and natural to a follower of the Code Chivalric as making love to a woman or eating or breathing."
That most macabre of childish innocence.
The Herald stood in the doorway. His hood was down and his horrific vertical mouth was quivering, on the brink of being open. "I am so disappointed in you, Juliana, trying to flee from me. Yet, in the end, you brought the child back somehow! Oh how I cannot wait to savor." The mouth split, and a long thorned tongue snaked free. "Oh yes, to savor."
Has anyone told you that having a vertical mouth makes it really easy to chop your head in two?

Who was he, the freaking Conan the Barbarian?
If we're taking Howard's mythology as accurate to the story, no. The Cimmerians were, like many of the Hyperborean civilizations and tribes, made to be the ancestors of the real-life Picts, who would have roots in both Scotland and Ireland due to the usual ancient trend of migrations and pushing people out.

Much like the ancient religions of this world pray to the Eldar or their hybrids, some of them remember an older time. An older creed.

An older man who once conquered the world.

Prisoners All Part 6
The Herald didn't move from across the hall. The abomination seemed to sway, moving like a reed in a heavy wind. The hideous mutant mouth seemed on the verge of splitting open.

"Your flavor wasn't so bad, Lady, your scant cries music to Slaanesh's ears." The thing continued to sway.

To Galahad's horror, Juliana had frozen, her face paling, her body quivering almost in time with the mutant. The hammer hung slack in her hand. "Juliana!" he hissed.

"The rapture will take her, she recalls the agony and the ecstasy!" The Herald's tongue slowly began to snake outwards, coiling over the table, impossibly moving on and on forever. It seemed to draw the eye, with its utter hideous beauty, like a predatory snake.

"No!" Juliana cried, tears running down her face.

Galahad ignored the tongue, focusing instead on the body it emerged from. He weighed for a moment throwing one of his magic spheres. A sudden, arrogant, angry thought struck him. A creature like this was not worthy of one of the exploding spheres of the Tuatha de Danum.

It was a bizarre thought, and Galahad wondered if he was being influenced somehow by the alien weapons. He recalled, vaguely, Myrddin saying something about weapons with minds of their own, and the elder race were said to be mercurial and prone to weird whims that carried with them little practicality.

Suddenly, he realized something. The Herald was ignoring him almost entirely. The long thorned tongue was making its way toward the still paralyzed, still weeping Juliana.

"Your leg next, I think, so long since I have had an uncorrupted leg all to myself." The tongue inched closer and closer.

Galahad sprang onto the table, hurtling forward, kicking goblets aside. His sword flashed in his hand.

The mutant broke out of his reverie too late, the rant ending, the body turning the instant before Galahad drove his sword, point first, with all the weight of his small body behind it. He aimed where a man's heart should be, and was rewarded by a sensation of sinking as he drove the weapon home. There was no blood.

The raving was interrupted by a loud shriek of agony, the body spasming and quivering. "You little catamite! I'll have you first then!" The tongue began to twist its way back, rapid in its bearer's rage.

Galahad responded by screaming, withdrawing the sword, and stabbing again. Flesh gave way, but it was bloodless and strange, yielding to the sword, showing great injury in the mutant's skinny frame, but ultimately having all the effect of stabbing a corpse.

One spindly arm lifted, and Galahad barely managed to roll with the blow that came, getting just away from the strike. He could feel the sheer inhuman power behind the strike. Chaos infused its greatest minions with hideous might, Galahad knew that all too well, yet even then it startled and horrified him, and he fell off the table, jarring his hip hard on the stone floor.

"Prince Galahad!" Juliana cried out.

Groaning, Galahad sprang back to his feet. He dove under the table, slicing up as he reemerged, hacking into the enemy's groin, or at least where a human's groin should be. Up into the Herald's loathsome body. Yet again there was no blood, and the Herald seemed not to care.

"There is nothing you can do to me, all your attacks are but the bites of a fly! Hold still, let me wrap you tight! Savor the pain, savor the pleasure, as I sha-" There was a meaty thud and the Herald interrupted his rant to shriek in absolute agony. It sounded to Galahad far more like what he had expected when he had lodged his sharp sword into the mutant's nethers.

Galahad turned to see that Juliana had brought her hammer down onto the winding tongue of the creature. Her face was no longer pale, it was flush with righteous anger and hatred. She lifted the hammer again and slammed it down again, the thorned tongue shattering and splitting open with a gush of all the blood and viscera that should have been in the Herald's body.

Now the horrific vertical maw of the mutant split wide open, and Galahad found himself staring at the great hole from which the tongue emerged, flanked by reddish flesh that flashed in bright patterns that hurt his eye and he tried very hard to not focus on it for too long.

Slowly, the Herald seemed to be acclimating to the pain, the quivering becoming something more horrifying and twisted. "A little fight. Too much fight!" The tongue lashed and spasmed, in both agony and directed force. Juliana stumbled back, away from the spikes.

"You are good at tormenting the weak," Galahad snarled, "but you sure are one pathetic warrior." He felt the sphere fall into his hand, instinctively knowing this was needed to end the fight. The button clicked beneath his finger, and the sphere began to glow with the sorcery of the Eldar.

He looked, for a brief instant, straight into the maw of the mutant, before he threw the glowing sphere straight into it. He closed his eyes tight against the flashing pattern within the abomination's mouth, before it could imprint into his mind and drive him mad. An instant latter, he felt the sphere leave his hand, hurtling unerringly toward the mouth of the beast.

There was no sound of it clattering on the floor, just an odd wet thudding noise, as Galahad ran away from what he had been promised would be a powerful display of magic. He heard a strange gagging sound, followed by a boom that sent the entire castle vibrating. Something struck him just above the shoulder, and he fell to the floor hard, his knees thoroughly slashed open.

Juliana cried out in horror, and then there was nothing more.

Slowly, painfully, Galahad sat up, and turned to look back. All that remained of their enemy was two legs, standing impossibly upright. The tongue was laid out across the hall, looking like a broken sausage. His shoulder ached, and looking down he saw a length of wood, pointed at the end. It had struck him length-wise, otherwise he would probably be dead.

"Prince Galahad!" Juliana ran over to him, almost stumbling on the dead tongue. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." Galahad forced himself to stand. "I've had worse, honest."

"Forgive me, I got caught up in my own fear. I should have been able to help you better." The warhammer fell out of her hand with a clatter. "There seemed so little I could do."

"You did plenty," Galahad said, a bit irritably. He turned toward her, and noticed something strange. Another shard of wood had impacted right into the painting, and had torn a hole right through. Behind the painting was a passage. "Oberon's spheres were too strong," he muttered, "but I think they have shown a way."

He could hear the clamor of footsteps. He ran up to Juliana, grabbing up the hammer and taking her by the hand. "We need to hurry!" he cried, and together they ran toward the painting, ducking into the depths its ripping revealed.

Suddenly, he realized something. The Herald was ignoring him almost entirely. The long thorned tongue was making its way toward the still paralyzed, still weeping Juliana.
His mistake.
Galahad turned to see that Juliana had brought her hammer down onto the winding tongue of the creature. Her face was no longer pale, it was flush with righteous anger and hatred. She lifted the hammer again and slammed it down again, the thorned tongue shattering and splitting open with a gush of all the blood and viscera that should have been in the Herald's body.
Good job, Juliana!
He looked, for a brief instant, straight into the maw of the mutant, before he threw the glowing sphere straight into it. He closed his eyes tight against the flashing pattern within the abomination's mouth, before it could imprint into his mind and drive him mad. An instant latter, he felt the sphere leave his hand, hurtling unerringly toward the mouth of the beast.

There was no sound of it clattering on the floor, just an odd wet thudding noise, as Galahad ran away from what he had been promised would be a powerful display of magic. He heard a strange gagging sound, followed by a boom that sent the entire castle vibrating.
Good throw, good throw indeed.

Prisoners All Part 7
He felt it when the Herald died. The anticipation of near-sexual fulfillment, followed instead by confusion, anger, and a final shot of agony. He had felt the explosion rock the castle as well, that had no doubt been the murder weapon. There had been strange satisfaction in it as well, what was it the Canticle of Slaanesh said? The final death was the most exquisite sensation of all.

Turquine found he didn't care about the death of his Herald. The man had ever been a pathetic and miserable parasite, even before Slaanesh's glorious corruption had taken hold. They had been nothing but accents on what was already a loathsome existence, a miserable thing who lurked at those in power's ear, and went about raping and pillaging what he could, in most unchivalorus manner.

Perhaps that was it, the ultimate source of Turquine's loathing for the creature that proclaimed his presence. The abomination was no knight, had no understanding of chivalry. That was what separated knights from the chaff, the true champions of Chaos from the loathsome crawling freaks.

With but a thought, Turquine sent a warband of magic-bound warriors to investigate. They were something more controllable, he decided, under his absolute purview. They'd tear the killers to pieces well enough.

Suddenly, he felt a shock. No longer could he distinguish between pain and pleasure, it all existed the same for him. He looked down at his body. There was a gouge in his alien breast-plate, blood running down in rivulets. He staggered suddenly, groaning and spasming. Someone had broken his sanctum, and had now entered it. That meant the enemy had gotten far deeper into his keep than he would think possible, very likely with esoteric aid.

His long thin fingers dipped into the blood running down his chest, and he slid them into his mouth, savoring the taste as he pulled himself free of his bed. His blood more and more tasted like the sweetest sap now, his movements full of fluid alien grace. He was evolving, changing, into something new and powerful, as the Seed had promised.

The Corpse Emperor had promised so much. Freedom for the world, strength for the righteous. Yet holding to that belief resulted in nothing but Turquine and his kith and kin cowering behind the great walls of their island fortress, awaiting a prophecy that would never come true. Chaos prophecies, however, had a near perfect tendency to come true. So had it been for his growing power, and so would it be for another, one that threatened his growing strength in Chaos.

Sir Turquine had a brother, implanted like a weed into the loyalist kingdoms. From that point, he could infiltrate and spread the Cults of Pleasure. As Slaanesh's influence spread, so too did Turquine's power. The imposter was well hidden, and lacked visible stigmata, yet he was still vulnerable.

Such was the prophecy he had been given, brought through the Warp by the High Priestess of Tzeentch herself. Under normal circumstances, Turquine would be happy to ignore the words of the hideous witch-woman, but his friend, Prince Vortimer Sevenblessed, had advised him otherwise. Chaos was undivided, moving toward a singular goal. So he had listened, and heard the prophecy.

The High Priestess had told him that his brother was invincible to all but one: The True Sir Lancelot, he who had been born in this age to be the Champion of the Planet. Turquine had objected to this, the Loyalists had a Lancelot, they passed the title along to whoever won a certain tournament, though none had been named since the disgrace of King Pellinore, who was but a broken old man.

Yet when he said this, the High Priestess' face went pale with fear. She said to him then there was a difference between the empty title bestowed by the Loyalists and the Damsel Order and the True Lancelot. The True Lancelot was far more than simply a man skilled at arms, he would be chosen by the world to face Chaos and drive it forth, or at least attempt to.

More to the point, the man was destined to slay Sir Turquine's carefully hidden brother. She had spoken this with absolute certainty, and at that point Sir Turquine knew he shouldn't take this prophecy lightly. So he had uprooted his hold, and made his way toward the final stronghold of Loyalist power to find his destined foe and slay him before the problem could arise.

Yet for all she knew this for concrete certainty, she could not tell him the name of the man who would become Lancelot, only that he was, indeed, a man. Magic had its ways, however, and Tzeentch was God of Magic.

It was hard to imagine the groaning weakling strapped to the bed could possibly be a knight of such renown, such destiny, and yet he was one who was on the list to be the next Lancelot, the most recent after the fall of King Pellinore. Slowly, Turquine walked up to the man, looming over him and staring down for a long moment.

The Prince didn't seem that impressive. He had been a worthy opponent, to the point Turquine had been forced to use a bit of sorcery to defeat him, yet Turquine felt that a figure that loomed so large in the visions of the sorcerers would take far more than a little sorcery. He'd almost be disappointed if this man proved to be his target.

Slowly, he lifted the Orb, gifted to him by the High Priestess, and hovered it over Sir Lionel's bound and naked form. The Orb seemed to shiver in his hand, as it took in the totality of the knight's soul, the impact of the man's destiny. The Orb struggled mightily, to devour the very fabric of the man, without imparting what information Turquine needed. He resisted, he dominated it, and glared down at both Orb and man. The Orb grew placid and dull.

Turquine scowled and with a hiss threw the Orb across the room, so it clattered and bounced on the stone floor. He felt the frenzy take him, the all-consuming rush. When he was but a man he would have resisted, but now he succumbed to the sensation, the desire for violence.

He came back to himself in flashes, and each time he was somewhat aware of the fact he had begun the flogging.

**************​

Galahad seized the gap in the painting and tore it further, the canvas strangely strong and resistant to his tugging, but eventually it gave, and both he and Juliana forced their way through.

Without a word, Galahad kept running, not paying very much attention to the new corridor. It felt dank, and the floor sagged under his feet. He held sword and lantern before him, in an almost warding gesture.

Juliana behind him began to whisper a rapid prayer, which seemed to rapidly jump from Saint to Saint, building up to the God-Emperor himself. She would constantly look over her own shoulder, towards where they had come. "Can't even see the exit anymore," she whispered. "Prince, this place feels alive, somehow. It is the most unholy place in this most unholy realm."

Galahad didn't respond. If he was to face this with nothing but courage, he couldn't acknowledge it as a source of power in and of itself. It was simply a disgusting muggy hidden chamber.

Juliana went quiet for a moment. Finally, she said, "They say the faithful can survive anything, endure any suffering, emerge victorious from any battle."

"It takes more than that," Galahad replied.

"I know, I was barely any help against that monster. I lost faith for an instant, and that was nearly fatal, inexcusable heresy."

'It wasn't a loss of faith," Galahad said, "that was fear. The mutant hurt you, so he frightened you. That's only natural." He looked over his shoulder. "Knights are supposed to fight, you are just a cook. Don't worry, I can fight for both of us."

"You aren't a knight either," she whispered.

Galahad didn't respond. He could see a faint light ahead, and when he ducked through into a wider corridor, he shivered at the sight.

It was another prison block, six surprisingly spacious cells lined up, well-furnished and lacking any sign of corruption. It wasn't a prison, as such, Galahad realized. This was a place for holding noble hostages, ones that were expected to be treated with dignity and decorum. It was almost more twisted in its apparent nobility, the similarity between it and his father's similar guest chambers.

There were three knights held presently, one standing at the door of his cell, frowning deeply, a second sitting by his bed, praying in similar manner to Juliana, and a third lying out on his bed, his arse bare to the air, and covered in red and bleeding lines.

"Celestine bless me," the man near the door cried when he saw the two. "Honest and good faces! Cover your bottom, Sir," he called over to his fellow prisoner, "there is a Lady and child present."

"Nothing I haven't seen." Juliana stepped toward the man. "Is he ok?"

"Most recently brought to Sir Turquine's attention," the spokesman said with a sigh. "Though it seems he has something that has drawn greater interest."

Galahad stepped further into the hall. "My brother, Sir Lionel, is he here?"

"No, lad, we know no man by that name and title. If he is here…"

"He is with that mad flogger," groaned the man lying on the bed. "Whatever he uses, it draws out the pain like nothing else. I've been shot before, and stabbed, but there isn't anything like this. Enough to drive a man mad, if it keeps happening."

"Sorcery," Galahad whispered, realizing it had to be much like the trick Sir Turquine had used to defeat his brother in the first place. Evil magic, drawn straight from the Chaos Lord's vile patron.

"We have nothing to aid in healing," Juliana said, "we have nothing but our weapons and the clothing on our backs."

"Do you know where Sir Lionel could be?" Galahad asked. Before he could get an answer, he heard the pounding of footsteps, the clatter of metal on metal, and guttural growls and snarls.

In the hall they had just emerged from, poked the first sign of the warband, Galahad saw the tip of a jagged halberd of black metal poke through, saw the gleam of blood-red eyes, and smelled the sweat on the incoming murderers.

Galahad didn't give them a chance to move on the offensive. In his hand was the last sphere, and he clicked the bottom the moment he pulled it free. It flew through the air, clattering perfectly within the terrible hall. This time Galahad saw the explosion, a flash of white so pure it nearly vaporized everything it touched. The cavern shook and fell inward, and there was nothing more to see of the warband.

Everyone was watching him now, even the wounded man had sat up, and his pained eyes were wide in amazement.

"Where is my brother?" Galahad asked again.

Perhaps that was it, the ultimate source of Turquine's loathing for the creature that proclaimed his presence. The abomination was no knight, had no understanding of chivalry. That was what separated knights from the chaff, the true champions of Chaos from the loathsome crawling freaks.
Hypocrisy be thy name.
Yet when he said this, the High Priestess' face went pale with fear. She said to him then there was a difference between the empty title bestowed by the Loyalists and the Damsel Order and the True Lancelot. The True Lancelot was far more than simply a man skilled at arms, he would be chosen by the world to face Chaos and drive it forth, or at least attempt to.
And the Lancelot we have is a badass. Even if he has an attitude problem.
Galahad didn't give them a chance to move on the offensive. In his hand was the last sphere, and he clicked the bottom the moment he pulled it free. It flew through the air, clattering perfectly within the terrible hall. This time Galahad saw the explosion, a flash of white so pure it nearly vaporized everything it touched. The cavern shook and fell inward, and there was nothing more to see of the warband.
Good throw, Galahad.

Galahad is simply the best, hands down full stop.
Funny you mention that.

Call me paranoid, call me short-sighted… but I think this is foreshadowing that the man we've come to know as Lancelot isn't actually The Lancelot.

I think Galahad may be the planet's champion, mimicking his role of being the one to fulfill the Grail Quest. This is just setting up how he has the character to represent this whole planet, Imperial, Knight, Eldar-descendants, etc.

Back