A Light in the Dark: A King Arthur/Warhammer 40k Imperial Knights Story

Man the doom upon Macbeth to be slain by no man of woman born really was dealt with in the same way that stuffing a blunderbuss with splinters of oak and hawthorne, a pendent of the cross and other miscellaneous silverware, saint's knucklebones, and a double-load of grapeshot will, somehow, deal with Dracula.

A Place of Healing Part 1
Idleness, priests on both the Chaos and Loyalist sides would say, was a grave sin indeed. Often backed by flogs and police units, they'd ensure no one stayed still for too long. Bedwyr had even heard of loathsome tech-sorceries implemented in the name of keeping soldiers fighting and workers working.

The ride to the health spa was full of enforced idleness. Bedwyr was on a bed, not tied to it, but bound by oath, an unspoken promise that Vivian wouldn't be warming it at night if she caught him trying to train, and Sir Palamedes at the door.

His good friend and comrade-at-arms was reading from a heavy tome, one of Bedwin's scriptures. His head was down, and he looked half-asleep, but Bedwyr knew better than to test that.

"According to this," Palamedes said, proving he was indeed wide awake. "Fornication outside the bonds of marriage, for the purpose of producing more souls to serve the God-Emperor, is an absolute sin."

"Your point?" Bedwyr asked.

Palamedes turned a page, smirking. "Just was thinking, that'd make most men pretty well damned, and many women as well."

Bedwyr leaned back in the bed. "Me and Vivian haven't exactly had time to hold a ceremony," he said dryly, "if that is what you are hinting at."

"I don't believe in damnation, unless you turn to the Ruinous Powers or some other such evil," Palamedes replied, turning to another page. "And it just goes on like this."

"Having children doesn't seem very responsible right now," Bedwyr muttered. Though he and VIvian hadn't exactly been using any form of birth control. Should they be? He didn't exactly feel fit to be a father, or especially worthy of carrying on his line at the moment.

"I suppose not," agreed Palamedes. "How seriously do you suppose they take this sort of thing in the Imperium?"

"Depending on the planet, Myrddin said," Bedwyr said, "there are worlds like ours, and then there are places entirely controlled by the church. So there the scripture is law."

"Something for Arthur to worry about." Palamedes closed the book. "I've only started making my way through this one, and it is long as all hell. And Bedwin tells me there are a dozen volumes in the scriptures, and so many texts. Fifty books, and if you want to know all the laws, you have to memorize them?"

Bedwyr smiled despite himself. "Well, they aren't all just lists of laws, you know."

Palamedes nodded in understanding, placing the book on a nearby table. "I think I prefer the histories, nonetheless."

Suddenly, Bedwyr could feel the car come to a stop, the sense of forward velocity ending all at once. "Why did we stop?" he asked, frowning.

"Bit impatient?" Palamedes asked.

"To be healed, yes," Bedwyr answered gruffly.

Vivian opened the door, peering inside. She was pale with fear, and Bedwyr sat up as much as he could in bed. "There is an enemy knight on the road," she said, "it's Sir Gawain."

Bedwyr swore under his breath. "Is he with the others?" He took a deep breath. "This is a medical vehicle, I'm in no shape to duel him."

"I can," said Palamedes, "I think I am more than able to take Sir Gawain in combat, and I doubt he'd kill either of us. Being his hostage wouldn't be so bad."

Vivian turned away from them, towards the front. "That's almost cocky, Sir Palamedes. Sir Gawain is famous for many things, but most of all for being a very dangerous man. It is near midday as well." Her eyes widened suddenly. "Dammit, don't let him in!" she cried.

"Vivian, what's happening?" Bedwyr felt horribly hopeless.

Heavy footsteps thudded into the metal of the car's floor, and Sir Gawain appeared, just behind Vivian. He had his hands up and away from his weapons. "Sir Bedwyr, Sir Palamedes, Lady Vivian. It's good to see you all today."

Vivian backed into the room, standing protectively next to Bedwyr. "You can't just take us hostage," she said hotly, "not without a fight. And Bedwyr is already injured, this isn't honorable, Sir Gawain."

"I have no intention to take anyone hostage today, Lady," said Gawain firmly. He took a step into the room. Then very slowly he removed his sword in its scabbard from his belt and leaned it against the nearest wall. "In truth, the only target I have is King Arthur, who isn't here regardless."

"I would suspect," Bedwyr replied, "that would include those who follow the true High King, the obstacle to your father rising to power." Despite Gawain setting down his weapon, Bedwyr found he was still wary. He had never been so aware of Gawain's sheer size and obvious strength. If the man so desired, he could crush Bedwyr's throat with his bare hands, and he wasn't sure if Palamedes and Vivian would be an obstacle to that aim if the Prince of Orkney decided on that course.

"Technically, yes, but I doubt that involves attacking an injured and unarmed man," Gawain said with a sigh.

"I'm not injured, I am armed, and I do serve King Arthur," Palamedes pointed out.

"Do you wish to fight me at the moment, Sir Palamedes?" Gawain asked, turning toward the man. His every movement was practiced and fluid, and his eyes were utterly calm.

"Not at present," Palamedes answered with a smile. "Sir Tristan I hope to duel one day, but if you aren't a threat, I see no reason to at this moment."

"Thank you, Sir Palamedes," Vivian said, clearly a bit exasperated.

Gawain took a few more steps forward. "Your leg is injured, right? Mind if I take a look?"

Bedwyr waved a hand with a sigh. "I can't stop you."

The big man stepped forward and knelt before the foot of the bed. With surprisingly gentle hands, he began to check Bedwyr's leg. He frowned. "Internal damage, looks like an infection as well, you are lucky to have caught it so soon."

"Not soon enough, I'll be laid out for Throne knows how long."

"Best thing for it is to rest," Gawain argued, gently, "you are a strong man, Sir Bedwyr, you'll be back up in no time."

"For the fight," Bedwyr said dully, "with you."

"Not with me," Gawain said firmly. He looked up at Bedwyr. He was firm, suddenly. "We need to unite soon. The fight will be with Chaos."

"Yet your father and his alliance wants the fight to be with King Arthur." Bedwyr frowned in confusion.

"It is hardly an alliance, just a loose collection of rulers with different goals and interests, but a shared belief that King Arthur isn't the High King. This has various degrees of severity. Several believe Arthur to be a King, just not strong enough or experienced enough to be a full warlord. Others, like my father, want the title of High King Pendragon for themselves, and seem perfectly fine using me, or Sir Lancelot, or Sir Tristan, as catspaws to that end. King Arthur has options to end this bloodlessly and quickly."

"What kind of options?" Vivian asked. She had dropped her guard completely now, accepting entirely that Gawain meant no harm.

"Either meet with the Kings in the faction who don't wish him harm, and convince them he is indeed strong, or do something fantastic against the true enemy. There are targets across the sea that he could hit. If he proved himself with a great victory, I can't see anyone really questioning it." He leaned closer to Bedwyr. "For now, we can't find him, of course. We didn't see him leave Caer Leon, and we have split up in multiple directions. They forced Sir Bruce San Pitie on us, when we left Londinium, but we convinced him to leave us and loop ahead and around. I think he knew I had a more deadly way of getting him out of the way planned, for he ran until he was out of sight."

Bedwyr considered carefully. "You want me to give you directions then?" he asked, at last. He searched Gawain's eyes, and saw no deceit. He smiled. Of course he didn't. Sir Gawain was not a deceitful man. "King Arthur goes west, he plans to sail across the sea and meet with the Lords of Eire. That's all I know."

"Thank you," Gawain grinned back at him, no doubt being able to tell the lie instantly. He rose back to his feet. "Get well soon, Sir Bedwyr. When next we meet, I hope it is as the friends we are, and not the enemies we have been forced to become by cruel circumstance."

"I hope the same, Sir Gawain." Bedwyr cuddled back under the sheets. "King Arthur will find a way, I know he will."

Gawain nodded, bowed, kissed Vivian's hand, and left the car, picking his sword back up as he went.

"What do you make of it?" Vivian asked. She stepped close to Bedwyr's side, clutching his shoulder.

"That Gawain will do his best to delay any further violent action against King Arthur," Bedwyr whispered into her ear, "which should buy him time to do whatever needs to be done."

She nodded. "Should we have told him about the attack, the titan?"

"We have envoys who'll inform King Lot of the threat. Sir Gawain will know of it soon enough as well." Bedwyr patted her hand, smiling a bit. "Besides, it is a better showcase for Arthur's ability as a warrior if it catches everyone off guard." Or it will be the end of all, which was the risk of the matter.

[Alright back on track! Of course FF7 Rebirth comes out next week, and that will probably devour my free time for quite a while.]

Last edited:
"Having children doesn't seem very responsible right now," Bedwyr muttered. Though he and VIvian hadn't exactly been using any form of birth control.
Yes, that sounds very irresponsible.
"I suppose not," agreed Palamedes. "How seriously do you suppose they take this sort of thing in the Imperium?"

"Depending on the planet, Myrddin said,"
It is funny how much that fits on the Imperium, depending on the planet.
Vivian opened the door, peering inside. She was pale with fear, and Bedwyr sat up as much as he could in bed. "There is an enemy knight on the road," she said, "it's Sir Gawain."
Oh shit.
He leaned closer to Bedwyr. "For now, we can't find him, of course. We didn't see him leave Caer Leon, and we have split up in multiple directions. They forced Sir Bruce San Pitie on us, when we left Londinium, but we convinced him to leave us and loop ahead and around. I think he knew I had a more deadly way of getting him out of the way planned, for he ran until he was out of sight."

Bedwyr considered carefully. "You want me to give you directions then?" he asked, at last. He searched Gawain's eyes, and saw no deceit. He smiled. Of course he didn't. Sir Gawain was not a deceitful fan. "King Arthur goes west, he plans to sail across the sea and meet with the Lords of Eire. That's all I know."
Well, that was rather sneaky from Gawain. Well done.

A Place of Healing Part 2
"This is humiliating," Bedwyr muttered darkly.

"One should never be humiliated by the help of a friend," Palamedes responded. He was carrying Bedwyr like a new bride, walking toward the health spa with a smile. "Besides, I can see them bringing out a wheelchair."

"That's not much better," Bedwyr grumbled.

The building they approached was an old castle, given over to the Druids centuries ago and converted into a place of healing. It was well-fortified, Bedwyr could see old gun-turrets built into the massive stone walls. Out by the open gate was an elderly woman in the robes of a nurse, a chair with wheels in front of her.

Palamedes moved to set Bedwyr in the chair, but Bedwyr hobbled out to the ground, moving to it by his own power. "Madam," he said stiffly as he sat.

Vivian, taking up the rear, said, "Must you be so stubborn about this Bedwyr? Everyone is just trying to help." She had her hands on her hips, and Bedwyr had only rarely heard her say his name in such a tone.

He sighed. "I just don't like feeling like a helpless cripple, that is all, Vivian. I've done well enough on my own before, nothing has changed."

"The difference," Vivian said firmly, "is you nearly died. If we hadn't caught it, if we hadn't had a Druid with us you would have died in rather more embarrassing and painful circumstances then you are currently in." She glared sharply at him, showing without doubt that she'd accept no arguments.

Bedwyr shook his head with a sigh. He looked up at the attendant. "It wasn't so bad," he said lightly, "a damaged leg, a bit of infection, I would have lived."

The old lady only nodded, not in agreement, but acknowledgment of Bedwyr's words, as she pushed him forward into the hold. "Your cars will be driven in by our valets," she said, "of course we will not ever dream of touching your great machines."

Palamedes scratched his chin. "We trust you. Be a bit gauche to mistrust folk devoted to healing."

In the keep, there were many people moving about on business. The healers were a mix of Druids of the Biologis branch of the Mechanicum, and Sisters in the long robes of the lone Hospitaller Order on Avalon. Bedwyr recalled that Gawain had been taught by those women. He shook his head, thinking about Sir Gawain was still disquieting, even if the man had no interest in harming him or King Arthur.

The door was held open by two Sisters, and the cold and sterile place opened before them. There were no visible staircases, Bedwyr noticed immediately, just ramps for the wheeled chairs.

Several of the Sisters gave them a cold reception, though their cold looks were directed not mainly at Bedwyr or Palamedes, but Vivian, who strode by Bedwyr's side with her head held high.

"What's wrong?" Bedwyr asked her, leaning in the chair.

"Sect friction," Vivian replied calmly, "Damsels and Sisters don't always see eye to eye." She didn't even give the glares a returned look. "Nevermind we are an entirely sanctioned sect, who have been here much longer. Damned Thorians."

"Won't be a problem, will it?" Palamedes asked.

"It hasn't come to violence yet. Apparently, the Sororitas can get very dangerous and violent, but luckily for us, here, they are just healing women." She grinned impishly.

"I would suggest not antagonizing them," Bedwyr said, shaking his head, though he couldn't hold back his own smile.

"I won't." She lowered her head, still smiling. "Really, they are all doing me something wonderful, getting my Beddie back in shape."

"You will get your own room, of course, my lord," the elderly druid attendant said suddenly, when there was a lull in conversation. "We are neutral in the political conflict between King Arthur and those Lords that stand against him, but we at least recognize his right to noble title, and yours, as an attendant, to certain privileges here."

"Thank you," Bedwyr said, recalling quickly some lessons of etiquette. "Though I do hope that choice doesn't put you into conflict. It may prove to be enough of a choice to place you on a side."

"None would dare attack us at any rate. This is a holy place, blessed by the Mechanicum and the Throne of Terra." She scowled. "There are rules and norms that all who claim to be loyal must follow, even if there is civil war."

Bedwyr nodded in agreement, but didn't otherwise respond. They went up a ramp, down a cold and empty hall, and into a sparsely furnished room, a bed and two chairs set up. Sunlight came in through a window, the blinds opened, and for a place of healing, it was quite homely.

"Do you wish to be placed on the bed?"

Bedwyr chuckled. "No, just wheel me in. I can get on the bed myself when I need to." He looked up at the woman. "I want whatever surgery I need done as soon as possible. If it is possible I want new augmatics fitted and placed on, but either way I expect to be out of here at the end of the week."

"That is up to your physicians, not me," replied the woman, who was already nearly out the door. She closed the door with a firm thud.

Bedwyr scowled after her. "Damnation," he muttered, "there is a war on, don't they realize that?"

"How could they not?" Vivian gave him a frosty look. "She only told the truth. It is up to the doctors when you are good to move and fight, and who even knows if they will have augmatics."

"Patience, then," Bedwyr sighed, "ever patience." He leaned back in the chair, and found it uncomfortable. He nodded to Palamedes. "Palamedes, stand close to me, I'm going to move to that comfortable looking armchair. I'm pretty sure I won't need help, but if I do start to fall, be ready."

Vivian beamed with pleasure, and Bedwyr stood carefully, stumping over to the chair.

Palamedes leaned to his ear. "Mortifying for you, Sir Bedwyr?"

"Not at all," Bedwyr replied mildly, setting himself into the more comfortable chair. "If I have to be patient and careful, I might as well accept it and not worry about it." He winked. "Besides, it makes Vivian happy."

"The important part, I'm sure."

Time passed at a slow pace. Bedwyr was visited by a number of healers, who poked and prodded and gave him several instructions to facilitate his healing. His diet was to be carefully controlled, he was to do very little physical activity, and of course sexual activity was strictly forbidden. The Sister who delivered that news gave Vivian a rather haughty look at that.

"Rude of her," Palamedes laughed once she had left the room, "for all she knew, I could be your lover."

Vivian, who had ignored the apparent jibe, and had been listening to the medical instructions with rapt attention, snorted with laughter. "You should have been a jester, Sir Palamedes."

"Among the warriors fighting in the Chaoslands, I was well respected as a source of levity," Palamedes said solemnly.

"From my memory, that was mostly Sir Gowther, actually," Bedwyr said.

"Well, you know, I was more purposeful in my comedy," Palamedes said with a grin.

There was a knock on the door, then a familiar voice. "Is it you, Bedwyr?"

The voice jolted Bedwyr as deeply as a thunderbolt would. He sat up in his chair. "It is. Is it you, old friend?"

"It is." The door opened. A grizzled face peered in, a Druid in familiar robes. "It's Liemire."

[FF7 Rebirth is insanely good, utterly devouring my time. I've been making myself stop by when my controller starts to run out of juice, that's the only way.]

Last edited:
Love that the Hospitallers and Sororitas are filling as the Grail Maidens as like a distinctive thing against the Damsels of the Lady of the Lake. Also, I feel like Vivian is speaking more from the relative positions of power the two orders now have, rather than the Hospitallers having no recourse to throw down if need be, after all it would be strange for that original mission of Hospitallers to have had none of their sister-orders of Famulous Chatelains or Militant Sisters of Battle or etc..., and if the worst comes, who says a Sororita might not deliberately place themselves in a position where their only redemption must come from taking up the damned chainsword of the Sister Repentia?

Last edited:
"That's not much better," Bedwyr grumbled.
Stiff upper lip, Bedwyr. Stiff upper lip.
He sighed. "I just don't like feeling like a helpless cripple, that is all, Vivian. I've done well enough on my own before, nothing has changed."

"The difference," Vivian said firmly, "is you nearly died. If we hadn't caught it, if we hadn't had a Druid with us you would have died in rather more embarrassing and painful circumstances then you are currently in." She glared sharply at him, showing without doubt that she'd accept no arguments.
She speaks reason.
Apparently, the Sororitas can get very dangerous and violent, but luckily for us, here, they are just healing women." She grinned impishly.
Oh boy, do they! And FTFY.
"Patience, then," Bedwyr sighed, "ever patience."
Good, he is learning.
"Besides, it makes Vivian happy."

"The important part, I'm sure."
Very important part.
Personally, I just set a strict limit on the amount of gaming I do each day, with pretty standard start and end times as well. Once it becomes a habit, stopping gets a whole lot easier.
I wish I had the time to play that I'd need to set limits.

A Place of Healing Part 3
Bedwyr found that he didn't mind being in the wheeled chair now. Vivian was pushing him now, Palamedes had remained behind, to smooth things over with the medics in case they came by and found him gone.

"How is he?" Bedwyr asked, as they walked together.

"Still catatonic, but at least he is alive," Liemire answered with a scowl. "That damned vampyre. Have you gotten a piece of him yet?"

"No, I haven't," Bedwyr answered, "he is either in that walking fortress of his, or defended by incredible sorcery. I am not able to reach him."

Liemire scratched his chin. "That unholy abomination is a problem. I've thought about how to crack the damned thing open forever. Even dug into some texts about it, I haven't had much better to do in this boring place." He leaned forward, hissing softly. "It is said to be a gift from the Gods themselves, tied to a name spoken only in curses."

"So speaking it here would draw attention we don't want?" Vivian asked. "Speak carefully, Liemire, some names carry with them great magic."

He shot Vivian an irritated look, but shook his head after a moment of thought. "So be it, lady. Suffice to say, the one I speak of, the one who built that fortress of Prince Vortimer's is said to be of demigod stock."

"Astartes?" Bedwyr asked.

"Beyond Astartes. The traitor demigod of iron will. You know of whom I speak, I know you have been taught some of the history of the Imperium. Of the enemy."

Bedwyr quirked an eyebrow. "The Imperium, or Chaos?"

"It is intertwined forever, inexorably. That is the real reason I can't speak his name, really. Even acknowledging the fact that we know where the enemy truly comes from, is heresy in these people's eyes." He gestured irritably. "That's the business of Imperium, boy, remember that. We honest Druids and Knights just have to work as best we can."

Bedwyr nodded along, not sure how comfortable he was with such open and casual heresy from a man he held in such esteem. Yet, his vows were to his King and friend, Arthur, not to the possibly long dead overhanging web called Imperium. "I can understand."

They stopped in front of a closed door, which Liemire slowly opened, as if afraid to make any noise. Yet from what he had said, King Pellinore wasn't sleeping, but remained in a deep years long coma. But Bedwyr and Vivian both were silent as they went inside.

Pellinore was no longer the still-virile middle-aged gentleman he had once been. He had wasted away, despite the constant feed of nutrition into his body. His hair had all fallen off, and only the dull beep of the machines attached to him gave any indication he still lived.

The very sight of his mentor like this sent a flash of pure sorrow through Bedwyr. By the Throne, would it not be better if the man had died? Was it not cruelty to keep him alive as a near-corpse, even if it gave the slim possibility that one day his death would be something more respectable than an ambush by a twisted vampyric prince.

Vivian seemed to detect his grim musings, and reached down to squeeze his shoulder. "It is a painful sight," she said softly.

Liemire stalked over to the bedside, head bowed and shadowed by his cloak. "I have read of ways to bring a man back from the brink of death as well, you know. Removal of the unhallowed flesh, that which does not function, and replacing it entirely with the machine." The druid licked his lips. "I can't get the components here, and that isn't the only resistance."

"Would it even still be King Pellinore?" Bedwyr asked solemnly.

That gave the old man pause. "I don't know how to answer that. His brain suffered damage that terrible day. Haptic feedback nearly tore it apart. Even if he comes to now, there is no guarantee he will ever be the same again. The machine is better."

"Better than being a cripple, you mean?" Bedwyr asked calmly.

Liemire flinched. "I didn't mean it that way. Hells, you've replaced your missing parts with mechanical augments before, and I don't doubt you plan to do that again the moment you can. Even before that, even without it, you've always been strong and skilled, lad."

The old man sank into a chair. "By the Omnissiah, I just don't think I could bear it if King Pellinore came back, but as nothing but a shadow of himself. Talking of reconstruction is just a distant dream. There is a choice to make, but I can't be the one to make it. I'm but a retainer, a man who knew the King from the moment of his flesh-birth. I lack the authority. It is up to the King's relatives to choose." He eyed Bedwyr from across the bed. "Both of the flesh and of the holy vow."

Bedwyr shook his head, his stomach feeling like it was suddenly full of acid. "I am not King Pellinore's son or heir, Liemire. I learned from him the ways of the Code, that is all. I don't have the authority to do as you are hinting at either."

"I suppose he never filled out any papers," Liemire muttered. "Very well. We will continue to wait."

"Is there nothing else you can think of?" Bedwyr asked. "Turning him into an undead or murdering him is not what I would consider a good finale."

"I don't know." Liemire stood up slowly. "This place isn't conducive to thinking well. Bedwyr, when you are well, I think you should try to seek a way to heal King Pellinore if you can. I would like to come with you when that time comes."

"It would be an honor and a pleasure, old friend," Bedwyr agreed with a nod. "But do you not have a duty here?"

"There is nothing I can do here. King Pellinore would want me to be useful, not rot away like an unused limb." He stepped toward the couple, patting Bedwyr on the shoulder. "Besides, I want to see how Bedrydant is faring. Is that mutant girl taking care of it alright? I don't think she was ever fully inducted in the mysteries, I'll have to check her work…"

**********************​

Bedwyr lay awake, as midnight struck. He was alone, Vivian and Palamedes had been pushed out by the nurses, either to sleep in the cars or in the guest quarters. How long before they both left? They were able-bodied after all, and could help in the war effort.

He sighed, and thought about King Pellinore. In truth, he wanted to pull that plug, and spare the misery of an endless search, the sorrow of watching a good and noble man waste away into nothing. Yet he could not. It was not a choice he could make. Sir Aglovale could, Sir Lamorak, Lady Tor, all of Pellinore's true born children, estranged though they mostly were. Bedwyr loved Pellinore, and he would forever. But he was not Pellinore's son. He was not a Prince of the Lost Isles. He was merely Sir Bedwyr, a follower of the blessed Code Chivalric.

"Never give up on a virtuous quest," Bedwyr whispered to himself.

"You should be asleep." The voice, though soft and feminine, gave Bedwyr an immediate fright. Turning over in the bed, he came face to face with one of the Sisters, her face plain and cold beneath her wimple. She had cold green eyes that held in them a certain fire.

"I cannot sleep," Bedwyr said solemnly. "But I will try my best shortly. I didn't hear you come in."

"Of course you didn't, sir, I try to move silently in the night. Patients after all should be asleep. Is your injury paining you?"

"No. It hasn't pained me for some time." Bedwyr felt discomforted by the Sister's sharp gaze.

"The woman you are with. The Damsel mutant. Is she your wife?" The question came as quickly and bluntly as the one about his health.

Bedwyr scowled at her. "Not yet. You will treat her with respect, however, she is my sworn Lady."

The Sister shrugged. "Mother says that the Damsel can stay. Damsels are sanctioned, though Mother also says she doesn't fully understand why. Yet, I feel compelled to warn you."

"Warn me about what?" Bedwyr asked, feeling a spike of rage. "I trust Vivian."

"Of course you do. Yet you should not. I state mere fact, my lord, Damsels are untrustworthy as any sect. Tell me, Sir Bedwyr, did Lady Vivian follow you for you, or did she follow you because you rode for King Arthur? She is known as a follower of Queen Morgan, you see. Queen Morgan has remained neutral in the civil conflict, but she would no doubt desire eyes upon it. Damsel eyes."

Bedwyr's heart stopped for an instant. When it restarted, he could feel his blood start to grow hot, as if he was about to step into a battle. "How dare you," he growled, "Lady Vivian loves me, and I love her. She follows me for that, not for whatever foolishness you spout."

His wrath didn't seem to frighten the Sister. She stared him down, impassive. "Damsels consider themselves agents of the planet, lord. To that, everything else is secondary."

"We are all agents of the planet, lady," Bedwyr hissed. Then, suddenly, he calmed down considerably. "Besides, me and Vivian began our present relationship before Arthur became King. I have no doubt we'd be together even if he was but a squire and I had found gainful employment with another Lord."

"I am not an agent of this planet." The woman seemed to raise, and though she was barely tall enough to reach Bedwyr's chin, she suddenly seemed tall and powerful in her fanaticism. "I am an agent of the God-Emperor, Blessed to aid His people and smite His enemies! I am no member of a fertility sect, clinging to noble power. That is what your Lady Vivian is. She borders on heresy and witchery!"

"Get out." Bedwyr leaned forward in the bed, ignoring her power. "Or sick and weak or not, I will strangle the life out of you with the one hand that remains to me."

"All I speak is truth." She rose to her feet, and walked silently to the door. She stopped suddenly. "Sir Bedwyr. Your body is the way it is from birth, is it not? Not from war injury?"

"That is correct." Bedwyr felt his rage cooling considerably, and suddenly felt rather embarrassed. Vivian had told him about the rivalry between the two feminine sects, it felt foolish to get riled up.

She nodded. "Then I think it is also fair to warn you, the Damsels may well consider your genetics improper to continue as a knightly line on Avalon. You control the Throne of your great machine, and so will any child that comes from your line." Suddenly, she looked something like an ordinary, worried, woman. "Just be so warned. If they consider it paramount, they may attempt to breed Vivian with another man, one considered more genetically pure than you, to have a more proper heir."

That gave Bedwyr pause. Perhaps it was because it touched close to something he had worried about for a long time. What if any child he had was born with similar disabilities? He doubted Vivian worried about that, and to some extent neither did he. He had turned out perfectly well in his chosen path, after all. Yet, if Vivian's order tried to make her do something like that, and it seemed far more likely than anything stranger, even the spy theory, it weighed on him deeply. "I can't see her agreeing to sleep with another man. Perhaps I will speak with her about this." He leaned back in his bed. "She wanted to join the Damsels since she was a child. I can't imagine them harming her like that."

"They well could. Better she had joined the Keepers of the Grail. Our intentions are pure, I promise that." She closed the door, leaving Bedwyr with his thoughts.

If nothing else, the last made him start to chuckle. Preposterous, the Sisters would never have accepted Vivian. All for the color of her hair.

[Half-way through 7R and then Unicorn Overlord drops. I'm very glad this year in video games is rather front loaded for me.]

"Beyond Astartes. The traitor demigod of iron will. You know of whom I speak, I know you have been taught some of the history of the Imperium. Of the enemy."

Hang on, I detect a truly galactic amount of spite, bitterness, and pure, unadulterated second place syndrome. Nice to see Perturabo has learned to share his toys, though.

"I am not an agent of this planet." The woman seemed to raise, and though she was barely tall enough to reach Bedwyr's chin, she suddenly seemed tall and powerful in her fanaticism. "I am an agent of the God-Emperor, Blessed to aid His people and smite His enemies! I am no member of a fertility sect, clinging to noble power. That is what your Lady Vivian is. She borders on heresy and witchery!"

Classic Imperium. Accuse everyone else of being a heretic while doing virtually the same thing yourself. Orthodoxy is decided by who has all the firepower.

Thanks for the chapter!

Damn of course Pellinore couldn't just die, but had to be cursed as the fisher-king.

Also real Bene Gesserit implications being laid against the Damsels, like that they might have purposely allowed Uther's rape to birth Arthur or something. Which is rich considering the Orders Famulous in the Imperium at large also 100% would allow such to maintain the the balanced division of the imperial nobility and sector lords as all serving under Terra and the Ecclesiarchy.

"So speaking it here would draw attention we don't want?" Vivian asked. "Speak carefully, Liemire, some names carry with them great magic."
That is true.
Perturabo, I'd guess.
Pellinore was no longer the still-virile middle-aged gentleman he had once been. He had wasted away, despite the constant feed of nutrition into his body. His hair had all fallen off, and only the dull beep of the machines attached to him gave any indication he still lived.
Poor, poor Pellinore. He did not deserve this.
He sighed, and thought about King Pellinore. In truth, he wanted to pull that plug, and spare the misery of an endless search, the sorrow of watching a good and noble man waste away into nothing. Yet he could not. It was not a choice he could make. Sir Aglovale could, Sir Lamorak, Lady Tor, all of Pellinore's true born children, estranged though they mostly were. Bedwyr loved Pellinore, and he would forever. But he was not Pellinore's son. He was not a Prince of the Lost Isles. He was merely Sir Bedwyr, a follower of the blessed Code Chivalric.

"Never give up on a virtuous quest," Bedwyr whispered to himself.
Never an easy decision to make.
If nothing else, the last made him start to chuckle. Preposterous, the Sisters would never have accepted Vivian. All for the color of her hair.
Well, that was a discussion. I have a bad feeling of this.

A Place of Healing Part 4
Vivian examined her hand of cards, then looked down at the field before her. The cards were old and scratched, much loved and used by their owners. With a sly smile, she took up one card, a fanciful depiction of Rogal Dorn as a beautiful young man upon it, and placed it between two others, a Sentinel walker and a Blood Angel Marine. "Flip them," she said calmly.

Two of her opponents, Sir Palamedes and a sweet-faced Sister named Vanette, flipped the taken cards over, so they formed new places upon the board. Vanette, Vivian noticed, seemed to lean a bit closer to Palamedes. She had seemed a bit taken with him from the start, but Sisters were so repressed, Vivian knew. She'd have to push a little.

The other Sister, Julia, clicked her tongue. "Rogal Dorn, the Praetorian. He who built the invincible walls of Holy Terra. It is near sacreligious to even suppose his defense is penetrable."

"From your reaction, it seems you have a way in this game, however," Vivian said, smiling amicably.

"I do wonder how one builds a wall round an entire planet," Palamedes mused. He ruffled through his hand, checking each card again.

"I'm not sure," Vanette said, flushing a little as her companion shot her a look. "But maybe when the storm dies we can go on a pilgrimage there."

Julia flicked the offending card in her hand. "Pilgrimages to Holy Terra are said to take generations. Mother sometimes says we might have to do one, to be cleansed and redeemed." She set down a new card suddenly. "The Khan. One hundred power in a direct line."

Vivian smirked, and flipped Dorn and a few other of her cards. "Well, one Primarch besting another in friendly competition hardly seems so bad."

"Who's to say what conclusion was reached regarding this game," Julia grumbled, "we were cut off before we could get word from the Ministorum on the matter."

"Just paper and ink," Palamedes said, "can't imagine it'd be that much of an issue."

"Oh no, Sir!" Vanette cried. She set down a card of her own with little thought, she either wasn't the best player or had no worthwhile cards in her hand. "Paper and ink do often hold great power! Why, the Emperor Himself is in this deck, which itself holds so much within it!"

"The Emperor you say?" Palamedes grinned and slapped down a depiction of the very same. It was a Throne of Gold, the man upon it faceless in his sheer holy power. "So what does it do?"

"The game ends, and you win," Vivian answered. She reached out to flip all cards that remained face up. "All cards go to the player."

"Oh." Palamedes frowned. "Well I can see why there was a potential meeting about this, that hardly seems like a fair or balanced card to be in a game."

Vanette giggled, a little nervously. Julia scowled and said, "Using the Emperor in a game in general is the problem, sir. Him being the most powerful card is a given, as is victory being certain when the player places him upon the field. Yet rendering Him down to cardboard and cheap ink, and transforming Him into a token for a mere children's card game, that is the near heresy."

"So take him from the deck for the next game?" Palamedes asked, moving the card away from the others.

"A fair option," Julia agreed, "but first we must engage in a thirty minute prayer."

"Seriously?" Palamedes groaned.

"It was the compromise we came up with. The one who played the card must pray in repentance," Vanette said apologetically.

"I doubt I know the proper one," Palamedes answered. Both Sisters scowled darkly.

"By which I am sure it is all very specific to the situation, and you two should guide him well." Vivian rose to leave, smiling at the three. "I'm going to go check on my beloved."

As she began to open the door, Palamedes moved swiftly to her side. "Lady Vivian," he whispered to her, "I don't know what to do, and I'm worried that without you I'll let slip that I don't worship the God-Emperor. I don't know how to handle such women."

Vivian smirked. "Oh just follow their lead, Sir Palamedes. They will be content with supplication and mimicry, especially since they both seem fond of you." She giggled silently, every inch of her training keeping her from being heard by the two in the room. "Besides, they did say the pilgrimage they want to make could take generations. Perhaps you could give them a head start?"

She got to see Palamedes' flustered and embarrassed face before she closed the door. She laughed a little more openly as she walked away. Who even knew what would happen between those three, teasing was always good fun though.

Her heart was still light as she opened the door to her lover's room. Bedwyr was sitting up in bed, staring out the window. Vivian could tell he was in an ill mood once again, and her heart sank a little. "Good morning," she said, walking to his side. "Do you want to get breakfast?"

He turned slowly, his single eye pensive and grim. Bedwyr was a beautiful man, even when he was clearly overtaken by one of his melancholies. "I am not hungry," he said, "they brought me breakfast earlier."

Vivian nodded, and sat down beside him. "Did something happen? I doubt you are in such a poor mood because the meal was subpar."

Bedwyr blinked, then laughed lightly. "Am I that easy to read? I am sorry, I didn't want to place it on you."

"So something did happen last night then?"

"A Sister came to me, and talked to me about you," Bedwyr answered.

Vivian smirked. "Oh, is that all? Let me guess, the usual insults bandied between our sects. Sexual shaming and accusations of heresy and witchcraft. Please don't take that so seriously, Beddie."

"I don't," Bedwyr said immediately, "but something else she said struck close to home. Tell me Vivian, is it possible you'd be ordered to carry the child of another man, while attached to me?"

So it was that he worried about. "It is very unlikely," Vivian said softly. She wiggled her feet uncomfortably. "It has happened in the past."

"I see. Thank you for your honesty." Bedwyr took a deep breath. "I am aware I'm not exactly a catch. I am a low-class man from lands held by the enemy, and I have already proven any child born of me could be born half-a-man like me. It would make sense to have you have children by Sir Gawain or another proper man."

"I didn't say it was going to happen, I said it was very unlikely," Vivian snapped, "really, it is not much different from the matchmaking that goes on in noble houses, and I am hardly a noble lady." She put a hand through her bright green hair. "And frankly, I have as much instability in my line as yours, I would hardly be ordered to have a noble child, with the possibility of them inheriting my mutant genes."

Bedwyr relaxed considerably, and Vivian felt instantly comforted. Bedwyr wasn't an idiot who'd be taken away by emotion to terrible places, he'd see the reason in her explanation, take it in, and understand it. "Right, I am sorry Vivian, it must have only seemed reasonable under cover of night."

Vivian took his hand. She couldn't help but giggle a little. "And really, you use Sir Gawain as your example? I assure you, Sir Gawain needs no help in spreading his seed far and wide, much less from me."

Bedwyr chuckled ruefully. "I think I may be a bit jealous of Sir Gawain. He is everything I am not. The perfect man." He reached to touch his chin. "I can't even grow a beard."

She reached out to grab his hand. "Enough of that, I quite like your beardless face," she snapped, "you and Gawain have more in common than you realize. You know the story. He was born sickly and nearly died, only saved by the intervention of a holy man. And aside from that, he is your friend, not your enemy. You know that."

"And one should never be jealous of friends," Bedwyr agreed with a firm nod. He raised Vivian's hand to his lips, pressing a kiss on the back of her hand. "Thank you, Vivian."

"I am as they say, your better half," she declared, "though I hope you make it official soon." Did Bedwyr know that saying? He would, eventually, she decided.

He didn't comment or react, so Vivian suspected he didn't understand the meaning at this moment. "Of course, I do wonder what possessed the Sister to drive the wedge. Mere sect rivalry?"

"It could be more than that. The Hospitallers aren't just nuns, you know. This may be a way to press their way toward information they want, or influence they consider valuable." She leaned forward, kissing his cheek. "Just leave this to me, darling."

"The Emperor you say?" Palamedes grinned and slapped down a depiction of the very same. It was a Throne of Gold, the man upon it faceless in his sheer holy power. "So what does it do?"

"The game ends, and you win," Vivian answered. She reached out to flip all cards that remained face up. "All cards go to the player."

Big E, watching from Beyond: "Oh boy, they made me Exodia. Hey Tzeentch I'm Exodia. Are you Exodia? No. Ha."

Even in the grimdark future, there are always calls for rebalancing cards.

a fanciful depiction of Rogal Dorn as a beautiful young man upon it
I have seen bishoujo Rogal Dorn, but not bishonen.

OP, plz nerf.
"Besides, they did say the pilgrimage they want to make could take generations. Perhaps you could give them a head start?"
Lewd!
Bedwyr chuckled ruefully. "I think I may be a bit jealous of Sir Gawain. He is everything I am not. The perfect man." He reached to touch his chin. "I can't even grow a beard."
Wanna swap, Bedwyr? I'd be happy not needing to shave every other day.
Wait, honest and mature communication between romantic partners? In my chivalric drama?
It is more likely than you think.

A Place of Violence Part 1
As Diane stepped out of Lady Nimue's home, looking among the gathered force, it finally struck her what it all reminded her of. A Guard Founding, not one in a civilized world like Anguish, but one from a barbarian world, where they beat on drums of human skin and painted holy symbols on each other in blood, with priests and commissars barely able to keep the order.

Of course, it wasn't as stereotypical as that. The men and women here didn't seem to be especially barbaric, and the drums Diane could see seemed entirely ordinary. Yet there was a certain military air. Everyone was armed, sticking close together in tightly knit units, and even though there was no uniform, every single one of them carried a flask at their side. Often, she'd see warriors lined up to get a spoonful of bubbling stuff from the cauldrons manned by the druids.

"What is that stuff?" she asked Lionors, their guide now that Nimue had left them to speak with King Caradoc.

Lionors shrugged. "Some kind of potion to increase strength and morale. So probably alcohol of some stripe."

"Or a drug," Brandaine said darkly.

"It is special," Galahad piped up, the little boy smiling with incongruous cheer. "For the Wild Hunt."

The Wild Hunt she had heard mentioned quite a lot. It was a recurring idea, appearing on many worlds. Superstition as old as humanity itself. Armies of the dead led by warrior Gods. Usually if it couldn't be entirely removed, the Ministorum would manipulate the culture so it would put the God-Emperor at the proper place at the center of all things related to religion and belief. Here it seemed to have a more tangible reality, however. Not an army of ghosts, but an army of men and wolfheads, led by local nobility and tribal leaders.

"What is the Wild Hunt, Galahad?" she asked the boy, smiling gently.

"It's like an Imperial Crusade, sort of," Galahad answered, "everyone banding together to fight and rampage and clean up what needs destroying."

"Chaos in this case?" Brandaine was looking around nervously.

Galahad nodded, a bit excitedly. "They are hoping to get the nobility on it, that's why Lady Lionor's dad is here."

Lionor shook her head immediately. "Don't say such things. I should hope the nobility of Avalon won't involve themselves with something so uncontrolled. Father is trying to get the tribes to swear to the High King."

"Is there not a budding war over who the High King should be? Between the Wizard's tool Arthur and whatever the others decide?" Diane asked. She knew about the conflict that often rose between members of noble houses, be they human or navigator, and how long and bloody they could become.

"Arthur is no one's tool!" Lionors argued, with surprising heat in her voice.

"She's right!" Galahad agreed with utter enthusiasm.

It didn't seem worth it to argue. They clearly both knew Arthur on some personal level, and wouldn't like any insult given to their friend by one they could actually argue with. "If you say so," Diane said. She gave Brandaine a warning look, expecting her to be more willing to argue. "I do honestly hope all works out well for all."

"It should," Lionors said, rubbing her arm in a nervous gesture. "Arthur should be coming here soon. We have something tied to him, something important. In truth though, I just look forward to seeing him again. It has been too long."

Galahad turned away from them, nodding in agreement, eyes shaded. "Father is going to fight him. I don't like that. So you're lucky Lionors. Your father likes King Arthur, doesn't he?"

"I suppose," Lionors said airily. "At the least he sees the reason in keeping his options open, I think."

As the talk grew quieter, Diane looked over the camp. There were several stalls set up, with food being served that smelled surprisingly good. A few of the warriors gave them curious looks, some wary, others sharply analytic, still others with a barely concealed lust that disturbed her whether it was directed at Lionor, Brandaine, or most disconcertingly of all herself.

But then her glance was arrested by a chilling sight. Four warriors, three humans and a beastman, were sitting at a table, playing a game with a deck of very old cards. From what she could tell it was a variant on a few popular collectible card games from around the Imperium, obviously something that had been passed down over the centuries very carefully. She'd heard some of those games had been banned for certain blasphemous content, using the God-Emperor as a token.

Yet that was not what made her stiffen. Strapped to one of the warriors, a lean dangerous man with his back to them, was a very familiar power sword. "Brandaine," Diane hissed, "that man there, he has something familiar."

Brandaine hadn't been on the Rogue Trader's ship long, but when she looked, her eyes widened. "Isn't that…"

"The seneschal's sword, yes," Diane answered. Hank Morgan, the seneschal to the Rogue Trader DeVoll, was a solid, bluff, man of little humor and steady hand. He'd nonetheless been a well-loved man, referred to as "The Boss" by officers, shipmen, and the low deck clans alike. Diane had been very fond of him as well, he'd been strict and stern, but utterly fair and honest in his dealings with her and her fellow Navigator Gavan.

Seeing the sword made her scowl. Was Hank Morgan dead, just like poor Gavan and very possibly everyone else on the ship? How had his sword come to be here? She had to find out. She took a step forward.

Lionors lunged forward suddenly, gripping her arm. "What are you doing?" she hissed.

"That man has something that doesn't belong to him," Diane replied firmly, "that sword belongs to an officer of the DeVoll Rogue Trader Dynasty, a dynasty I also serve. I have to find out where he got it."

"That man," Lionors said, her voice barely above a whisper, "is Twm Sion Cati. A highwayman and bandit. He got that sword through violence or treachery, and honest women like us should give him a wide berth."

Galahad was of an opposite opinion. The bold little boy stepped forward. "If he stole it from an important man, he should explain himself though."

Lionors seemed conflicted between stopping Diane and protecting the little prince. Ultimately, she opted to get between Galahad and the dangerous warriors, letting Diane go at last.

Diane stepped forward, Brandaine at her side. "Excuse me," she said, in her most imperious voice.

The four men stopped their game, the three, two pale-haired warriors and a hulking wolf-headed beastman, his fur black spotted with splotches of pure silver, gave her wary expressions, but quickly seemed to realize they weren't the targets of the tall woman's anger.

The fourth man, Twm Sion Cati, the highwayman, didn't turn to look at her. He placed down a card, and said, with utter mildness, "If you don't take your turn in a minute, victory goes to me as I have the most points."

"Seems this lady wishes to speak with you," the beastman said solemnly. "She is the one Lady Nimue had brought in, and also the Lady Lionors. You shouldn't show such insolence, Twm."

Twm leaned back in his chair, swinging his feet up onto the table and looking up at Diane with his face upside-down. He was younger than expected for an infamous highwayman, and clean and well-dressed. "Indeed, she is the Navigator. I've only seen her like in books."

"She can kill with a look, Twm," one of the other warriors said. He reached out and lifted his cap. "Begging your pardon, lady, we've been drinking, and Twm gets a bit irritable when his games are interrupted."

"I don't need you apologizing for me," Twm snarled. He waved his hand. "Say your piece."

"The sword you carry doesn't belong to you, it belongs to a man far higher in station," Diane started firmly, not even remotely afraid of the smaller man. "You have no right to it."

"I have every right to it. I found it, you see."

"Lady Lionors says you are a bandit," Brandaine said, the local tongue still thick and clumsy in her mouth, "so I'm afraid we won't take you at your word."

"If you must know, I did find it on a corpse," Twm said glibly. "Thirty seconds, friends." One of the warriors cursed, and placed down another card. Twm scowled as several of his cards were flipped. "Damn it all."

"You killed him." Diane felt a hot rage course up her spine. This bastard had killed a good man, taken his sword, and it barely even seemed to matter to him more than a game of cards.

"Now, I said nothing about killing, I just found the corpse." Twm turned at last, smiling rather infuriatingly. "This man you are so upset about, describe him to me."

Diane clenched and unclenched her fist. "Brown-haired, powerfully built, he'd seem to be about fifty to your eyes, a thick mustache, and he'd be wearing green and gold." Those being the colors of the dynasty.

"Then rejoice, your man yet lives. The corpse I'd found the sword on was clean shaven and had hair like bad straw." Twm turned back to the game. "So now that it is settled, move along, I have a game to win."

"Yes, let's go," Lionors said, grabbing Diane's arm again. "Come on," she hissed.

"No. That sword doesn't belong to you. I will see it returned," Diane said loudly and firmly. A crowd was beginning to gather.

"It belongs to me by the right of the road. That which is held by the dead belongs to who first finds it." Twm turned around again. He no longer looked like he was taking this as a joke, he looked borderline murderous. "If you want this sword from me, you will have to best me, Navigator Lady."

"I am not a knight to be challenged," Diane said. She realized she had grown quite weary of being pushed around. Here at last was a chance to stand under her own power, to use what little nobility she had.

"Neither am I. We can settle this a few ways." The highwayman shifted his gaze down, hooding his eyes under his cap, quickly adopting a strategy in case it came to a fight with the woman who could kill with a glance. "I could draw my sword, and you could fight me best as you can, or we could wrestle, though I don't care to do that to a lady outside of a bedroom, or we could settle this in a more civilized fashion."

"I suppose I would prefer the civilized fashion," Diane said coldly. She had nearly as long a reach unarmed as the insolent bandit did with the sword, but she still wouldn't trust that to be enough.

The highwayman smiled toothily. "There is another rule of the road. A game can be played, with stakes placed. I will place my sword up, of course, and you will place let us say, a fortnight with your friend there." Diane was a bit startled when he nodded, not at Lionors like she expected, but at Brandaine, winking roguishly at the guardswoman.

Brandaine seemed quite a bit more startled. "You can't be serious," she stammered.

"I am always serious when it comes to the game. We could play riddles, of course, that's ancient and has great precedence, but I am fond of this card game my friends have introduced me to. As the challenged I get the right to choose, and I choose this." He nodded firmly. "Is this acceptable?"

"If you lose to this wretch," Brandaine whispered in gothic, "and I get chained to his bed for a fortnight, believe me I will kill you after, Diane. Yet the sword does need to be in better hands," she conceded with a sigh.

Poor Lionors looked beside herself, almost swamped by the crowd. Galahad looked utterly enraged, seeming to want to fight as Diane's champion, but Lionors was gripping him tightly, and he seemed to settle for staying close, ready to defend either of them at need.

"So be it," Diane declared, feeling a thrill despite herself. "Let us play this game of yours."

Every writer loves to bring up The Emperor's Tarot, but it only got to be popular for mysticism in the 18th century long after it had been popular. During the Middle Ages, Tarot was just straight-up a card game like Bridge or Hearts.

Every writer loves to bring up The Emperor's Tarot, but it only got to be popular for mysticism in the 18th century long after it had been popular. During the Middle Ages, Tarot was just straight-up a card game like Bridge or Hearts.
It keeps being brought up in lore that Emps' Tarot is used for card games but I don't believe it is ever shown in any book, game, or lore book I've read. This annoys me greatly.

Lionors shrugged. "Some kind of potion to increase strength and morale. So probably alcohol of some stripe."

"Or a drug," Brandaine said darkly.
It's a magic potion!

"Arthur is no one's tool!" Lionors argued, with surprising heat in her voice.

"She's right!" Galahad agreed with utter enthusiasm.
Yeah, you tell her.
"That man," Lionors said, her voice barely above a whisper, "is Twm Sion Cati.
*One Google search later:*

Huh, Welsh Robin Hood.
The highwayman smiled toothily. "There is another rule of the road. A game can be played, with stakes placed. I will place my sword up, of course, and you will place let us say, a fortnight with your friend there." Diane was a bit startled when he nodded, not at Lionors like she expected, but at Brandaine, winking roguishly at the guardswoman.
Ah, he likes the soldier girl types. Nice.
"So be it," Diane declared, feeling a thrill despite herself. "Let us play this game of yours."
She is going to end up drawing the Emperor, and end up in the situation where only way for her to win is to let it be known that she has it.

"The seneschal's sword, yes," Diane answered. Hank Morgan, the seneschal to the Rogue Trader DeVoll, was a solid, bluff, man of little humor and steady hand. He'd nonetheless been a well-loved man, referred to as "The Boss" by officers, shipmen, and the low deck clans alike. Diane had been very fond of him as well, he'd been strict and stern, but utterly fair and honest in his dealings with her and her fellow Navigator Gavan.
The Connecticut Yankee, who should need no introduction.

"That man," Lionors said, her voice barely above a whisper, "is Twm Sion Cati. A highwayman and bandit. He got that sword through violence or treachery, and honest women like us should give him a wide berth."
Known as the Welsh Robin Hood (though he very much did not give to the poor) "Cathy's Son Tom" aka Thomas Jones was a real figure who tall tales grew around. A highwayman, a bandit and a scoundrel to boot for sure, but definitely not a murderer, he was a lovable rogue who avoided violence where possible and instead used his education, quick tongue and wits to scam, trick, and generally outmaneuver his foes.

It's a magic potion!

I had the same reflex. Though we'll see if thus version is as efficient as the one in the comics

For me tarot is a straight up card game, I've played enough to know that I'm not good at it, like at any game where I have to pay attention to what cards have already been played :ninja:

Last edited:
A Place of Violence Part 2
The crowd was still growing as Diane sat in front of the highwayman, watching carefully as the game was set up. She and Twm had a deck of forty cards each, hers lent by the bandit's former opponents, who were watching keenly over their companion's shoulder.

Her own were close to her, Lionors almost rushed to their side, her back nearly against a house's wall, little Prince Galahad in front of her. Yet the noblewoman didn't look especially afraid, she had fallen into a stiff but ready position, eyes darting around the area.

Brandaine leaned close to her and muttered, "I repeat, I will be most enraged if I end up tied to this bastard's bed." She was speaking gothic, and didn't bother to modulate her voice.

Twm put a hand over his heart. "You wound me, lady," he said in faultless gothic, "I have no intention of any such uncouth action. I named a fortnight as that will be all that is required to woo you to be my bride and join me upon the highway."

"A life of thievery is not so attractive to me," Brandaine shot back, unperturbed by the revelation of the bandit's education.

"Thievery! I am no thief, I am an adventurer! Oh sure I do lighten a purse on occasion, but only when one has far more money weighing them down when they know what to do with." He began to shuffle his deck. "And you should know that I detest violence of all kinds, a gentleman should always look for another route to solve his problems."

"If you detest violence so much," Diane said, "perhaps you should simply hand over the sword, as by your own words you aren't one to use it."

"Alas, in this world, even a witty fellow like myself needs to stoop to violence on occasion, and this sword is a rare weapon of power. If what enemies I find don't flee from the danger it presents, it can even the odds in just about any situation that requires its edge." He pushed his deck toward Diane, nodding to it as if expecting her to know what ritual needed to be done.

She only realized when she pushed her own deck of cards toward the man, and he lifted the top half and placed the bottom upon it. She followed suit, and the two decks were returned.

She watched as Twm drew five cards from his own deck, and mirrored him carefully. She only had what she could see to go on how the game was played. There were hundreds of different card games played even within just Sector Prydain. This was clearly a collectable card game, which was popular with children in more civilized worlds.

Of course, she knew from the instant she saw her hand this was far more bold and heretical than any collectible game that would ever be allowed in the present time. Aside from a depiction of a Space Marine (Clearly drawn by someone who had never seen one) and a few of what she could only assume were historical figures prominent five thousand years ago, none of which she knew.

The fifth card made her eyes widen. It was unmistakably a depiction of Sanguinius, the Fallen Angel, the Primarch of the Blood Angels. Blond and tall and beautiful, wings spread wide, blood running like a river down his right side. Both a surprisingly lovely work of art, and a stunning piece of sacrilege. There were arrows on each end of the cards, and numbers beside each.

It seemed simple enough, values denoting what they could take within the game. She smiled. Another sacrilege, giving numerical value to the power of the Primarchs.

Brandaine grinned suddenly. "Wait, I know this one. We did some drills with a few off-world regiments. The Dragoons played something like it all the time, Triad I think it was called."

"Give me a quick crash course, before he interrupts," Diane said. Across, Twm was leafing through his hand with a thoughtful expression, evidently in no rush.

"I only played it once, with a Dragoon who also was after sex, though not with me." She gestured toward the table. "It's played in a grid, three by three, with two players anyway. The arrows determine what strength they have in which direction. Obviously this is an ancient edition, with cards that are now forbidden by the Church, so good luck."

"The round will be quick then," Diane said, suddenly nervous about how she had taken this challenge. She wouldn't have the time to learn the game on the fly, they would put down a set number of cards and then it would be over.

Twm set down a card. A lasman in flak armor, an emblem Diane didn't recognize on his helmet. Some long-dead regiment no doubt. "You're turn," the bandit said, waving a hand.

Diane looked at her cards, then looked at what Twm had placed on the field. She shook her head with a sigh, and placed down the Space Marine card.

There was a laugh from the gathered crowd. Brandaine gripped her shoulder tightly. "No save your strong cards for when you can take more!"

Diane shot her a glare. "Well I'm sorry, I haven't played this before, just Tarot"

"Too bad!" Twm declared. He set down a new card, a slightly singed depiction of Sebastian Thor. "Found this one in a near burned down villa in the southern continent. Very rare."

"Should have burned better," rumbled the beastman with a terrifying snarl. "It's a weak card anyway."

"Amazed you can speak gothic, much less have opinions on both subjects," a very irritated and worried sounding Brandaine snapped.

"Perhaps in the Imperium beastmen are stupid. I hear they are kept stupid, and even castrated. Yet here I am a man, with the mind of a man, that can be developed properly." The wolf-headed abhuman bared his teeth, but it looked to Diane like a grin as much as a threat.

"Brandaine, please," Lionors hissed. She managed to pull the other woman back toward her, trying to huddle into her corner.

Diane didn't think too hard as she drew and played a card in almost one breath, determined to distract from the budding argument. "You flip Sebastian Thor, I think," she said.

"I do." Twm flipped his card. "Not a bad play."

"Underestimate me at your peril."

"Of course, I have no intention of that. Concentration is paramount in this game after all, one can't simply place down whichever card they want without even paying attention to the totals." His card came down. A woman in armor of gold, wings emerging from her back. "Sad to say, the power downwards is too weak. Flip it."

Diane did so, face set, trying to ignore Brandaine's loud curse. She took a deep breath, drew another card, and tried to concentrate. From what she could understand of the numbers involved, her hand seemed weak. The grid was almost filled, and her strongest was Sanguinius. She pulled him from her hand, and placed him down.

There was a gasp and excitement from the assembled crowd. Twm clicked his teeth together, and reached out to flip all three cards. "He has the triple direction upwards. Well played, Lady."

"Of course," Diane said with a smile. "Do you fold?"

"Not at all. The game isn't over until the last card is played." He set down his own as he spoke, a solemn demigod in dark gray, his hands bright silver. "Ferrus Manus. Triple pronged to take the three."

Pale, Diane flipped the cards, her heart sinking.

"Do you fold?" Twm asked mildly, watching her closely.

"It is as you said. It isn't over until I draw the final card." She placed her hand on the deck, ignoring the crowd and the angry noises Brandaine was making. She drew, and looked upon it.

On the card was a faceless man, sitting on a golden throne, light radiating from him. It was almost painful to look upon, for she knew it instantly. The God-Emperor himself. The one who drew it of course had never looked upon his radiance within the void. It was a crude attempt, but it was still an attempt.

The God-Emperor card had no arrows on it, or any designation of power. There was no description written on it. She stared at it for a long moment, conflicted. She looked at her hand, and knew none of them would save her from this predicament.

Of course the God-Emperor had to be the strongest card in the deck, otherwise it would be an even greater heresy than using him as a playing card already was. She bowed her head in contrition, and put the God-Emperor onto the field.

The reaction was immediate, a groan across the field, disappointment evident. She looked up to see Twm flipping all the cards he had. "You win," he said mildly.

"So that is what it does? Just an instant victory?" Diane asked.

"But of course. I did think I removed Him from that deck but I must have been mistaken." The bandit unslung the sword from around his body and handed it across to her. "Your prize, Lady."

She took the sword carefully, staring the man down. "You give it up so easily."

Twm grinned. "Well, I've never been one for swords, as I did tell you."

Diane rose, turning to her companions. Lionors was pale, Brandaine was smiling from ear to ear. For some reason Prince Galahad looked thoughtful. She looked back over her shoulder. "That may be foolish, given where we live. Best find yourself another sword." Before the thief could respond, she walked to her friends. "There we go," she said mildly, "piece of cake, really."

"He said he removed it from the deck, but the Emperor always comes at the hour of need!" Brandaine grinned brightly.

"But he slipped that card into your deck, Diane!" Galahad piped up suddenly. "I saw him do it!"

"Hush Prince," Lionors said to him, "you must have seen wrong."

Diane turned back to the dispersing crowd. Twm Sion Cati was still seated at the game table, leaning back and whistling. He saw her looking and winked.

Back