A Light in the Dark: A King Arthur/Warhammer 40k Imperial Knights Story

The return of the monstrous Priest caused the mood to sour in the home. The three sat down, and tried to ignore the mad ravings floating in from outside.

Pellinore spoke two prayers, one to the God-Emperor, and the other to the Maiden of the Lake, Nimue. The prayers seemed to cloud out the spells of the Priest. But they both ended eventually. And the spell intruded once again.
Oh look, a second Saint.
And so Pellinore started to tell stories. Stories that the boys had never heard. Stories of those that battled Vortigern and the Dark Gods.

First he told of Bran the Blessed, first King of Avalon. Who saved the planet from invasion and so was named High King. His mighty battles, his endless nobility, and eventually his heartbreaking death against the foes of humanity. It was said his head was buried as a charm against invasion. Once it defended the planet itself. Now it defended Vortigern and Vortigern alone.
Yup, the Welsh Giant who was one of the first kings of England. Yes, Bran's head did chat with his companions for years before being buried facing France to ward off invasion. With the mention of how the head serves Vortigern, it sounds like the head of a Knight or Titan that had some system which Vortigern has subverted.
Then he moved closer to the modern age, and told of Queen Boudicca. The Warrior-Queen whose realm had been in the center of Vortigern's realms. With little more than a token army and a legion of volunteers, the Queen had held off the forces of Chaos for a full decade. It was her sacrifice and bravery, Pellinore said, that allowed the Loyalists to have even the token resistance they had now.
So Boudicca was a contemporary of the old Knights of Pendragon. And the whole 'rape' thing is unfortunately plausible, especially as we're touching an aspect of Chaos normally left to rot in the dead world of Mallus. Shame she didn't get to stick around.
He told of Fionn mac Cumhail, the Giant-King of the Isle. The killer of Gods and the Master of the Knights of Fianna. The mightiest hero who, as Pellinore informed gravely, yet lived, sleeping amid his amassed treasures, resting for further battles ahead.
So we have another Knight who rests, based on the giant who slew fire-breathers and intimidated other giants. Must be the more Mechanicum-allied, as to have stasis technology. Who knows, Fionn might be an actual Titan.
Robin Hood, outlaw and partisan, who lived in the heart of a deep wood. A mysterious and seemingly immortal figure, there had been a Robin Hood for centuries, constantly robbing from the wicked wealthy and giving to the poor. He was a strange man, with no true origin, and Pellinore shared his personal belief that "Robin Hood" was a form of alias. Regardless, Robin and his band of Merrie Men were famed in Loyalist circles for their staunch opposition to the encroaching dark.
So if Robin Hood is around, will we be meeting a knight with armor black but inlaid with gold, and with a crest of an uprooted oak and a single word in old High Gothic?
"What about Pendragon?" Bedwyr asked. "You never told us a story about him."

Pellinore blinked. He scratched his chin absently. "I don't know."

"Why not?" Asked Lucen. "Wasn't he your King and Lord?"

"I have one," Pellinore said. He sighed deeply. "I'm just not sure if it is for children. It is kind of a sad story, and a cruel one whatsmore."

Bedwyr and Lucen leaned forward excitedly. Naturally, being told something isn't for children just made them more excited to hear it.

Pellinore chuckled, shaking his head. "Very well. I will tell you. I will tell you of the end of Uther Pendragon."
Of course, they're young boys. Of course they want to be trusted with 'grown up' stuff and be treated as men.
During Uther's push to unite the realms of Gramayre, the Loyalist Realm, he brought every King and Queen under his banner. As he took parcel after parcel of land from the grasp of Vortigern, he would give them to men who had served him. This is how the Mercenary Knights, Meliodas and Ban, became Kings in their own right.
... Ah shit, I know where this is going.
During Uther's push to unite the realms of Gramayre, the Loyalist Realm, he brought every King and Queen under his banner. As he took parcel after parcel of land from the grasp of Vortigern, he would give them to men who had served him. This is how the Mercenary Knights, Meliodas and Ban, became Kings in their own right.

Meliodas became King of Leones, and wed his beloved, the Princess Elizabeth of Kernow. Elizabeth's brother was King of Kernow, and his name was Gwrlais. And Gwrlais had a wife. Her name was Igraine. And she was beauty incarnate.

A gentle and delicate woman, Igraine had never left her husband's home, preferring to stay and raise their three daughters: The twins Morgan and Morgause, and the youngest Anna. Therefore, Uther had never seen her.

Uther traveled into Kernow to pay his respects to Gwrlais. Pellinore, then his champion, accompanied him, along with Meliodas and Ban. And Mryddin, the Wizard.

It was a happy time, and all were united. And then Uther lay eyes on Igraine. It was from that moment that it all fell apart. For from that instant, Uther was consumed by a mad lust for the woman. A lust that would never take no for an answer.
So we're going with Morgan being Arthur's half-brother. And this is indeed the tale of how Uther took Igraine for his own.
That night went by calmly enough, but Pellinore saw the madness consuming Uther. After, he begged him to see reason. There were many women, as beautiful and as noble as Igraine. But Uther pushed his champion aside, and began to plot.

When Uther returned home, he accused Gwrlais of treason and heresy most foul. He amassed his armies, and suddenly the Loyalists were awash in Civil War.

Livid at this betrayal, Meliodas and Ban rushed to their nations to rally their forces, but they were blocked from returning by a massive wall of warriors. So did they renounce their ties to Uther.

Uther's forces smashed into Kernow, but were held back from taking the Castle Tintagel, except by means that would be guaranteed to kill Igraine and everyone in it. So Uther turned to a last resort. He turned to Mryddin.

Mryddin, disgusted by what Uther proposed, angrily denied the plot. His magic was not meant for such cruel and wicked ends. But something happened that night, some deal Uther cut, that made the Enchanter agree to the crime.
... the boy. Arthur. There must be a plan for his rule. It's the only reason, and an unfortunately acceptable one, that something as abhorrent as this would be accepted. To sacrifice honor and a woman's body to make a king that would defeat Chaos.
Mryddin weaved a strange enchantment that cloaked Uther in illusion. So did Uther slip behind the army. Then he led his forces in a brutal back attack, slaughtering Gwrlais' army.

Uther had his prize. He had taken the woman he desired above all else. But his alliances were shattered, his honor irreparably tainted. His most loyal allies, men like Pellinore, Meliodas, Ban, Ector, and Grummore, looked at him and saw a tyrant only minutely better then the one they faced. Meliodas and Ban shrank into their holdings, and ignored all attempts at treaty. The rest continued to lend aid, but the enthusiasm had died. For without honor, Knights are nothing more than common swine. And Uther had murdered honor.
Well, I'd argue that Knights are pilots of big stompy mechs. But in this day and age, to break with mind-influencing protocols as old as the Golden Age Of Man invites Chaos to take advantage.
"It was her fault," Lucen muttered darkly.

"No!" Pellinore snapped. His face grew grim. "No. It was not Igraine's fault. It was never her fault. It was Uther. It was always Uther."

"That is why you failed him?" Bedwyr asked.
I sense foreshadowing. The darkness of man to woman is perpetual and impossible to fully uproot, and it lurks in Lucen.
"Then why are you trying to avenge him?" Bedwyr asked.

Pellinore smiled sadly. He stood up, and walked to the door. The Priest had finally stopped screaming. "Because it is my last tie. The Champion of the King must avenge the death of the King by slaying the one who killed him. That is how it is. And once I do that." He let out a deep breath. "Once I do that, I will be free of Uther. I can focus on finding the next Pendragon, the one worthy of drawing the Sword from the Stone. And I can find my atonement."
Well, at least we know Pellinore's going to enjoy getting to kill that Spawn and settling his honor before a long life in Camelot. At least until he pisses off Gawain.

Uther had his prize. He had taken the woman he desired above all else. But his alliances were shattered, his honor irreparably tainted. His most loyal allies, men like Pellinore, Meliodas, Ban, Ector, and Grummore, looked at him and saw a tyrant only minutely better then the one they faced. Meliodas and Ban shrank into their holdings, and ignored all attempts at treaty. The rest continued to lend aid, but the enthusiasm had died. For without honor, Knights are nothing more than common swine. And Uther had murdered honor.
And that, gentlemen, is why honor is far more important than mere treachery. Honor binds nations, binds worlds together. Treachery nets power, but leaves you alone in a net of lies and deceit.

"I have one," Pellinore said. He sighed deeply. "I'm just not sure if it is for children. It is kind of a sad story, and a cruel one whatsmore."

Bedwyr and Lucen leaned forward excitedly. Naturally, being told something isn't for children just made them more excited to hear it.
As kids do.
This is how the Mercenary Knights, Meliodas and Ban, became Kings in their own right.
Now those are names you don't often hear mentioned when people talk about Arthurian Myths. Though most people know them from Seven Deadly Sins.
And Mryddin, the Wizard.
You keep changing between 'Mryddin' and 'Myrddin'.
And thus, hero fell from grace.

I really went down a rabbit hole.
At first I was thinking this is one of those themed imperial worlds.
But it mirrors the legend to close. And then there was Robin Hood. That git me thinking,
Could it be that Chaos started a self fulfilling prophecy?
Because faith and belief have power in the Warp, and one of humanity's best known myths is the Arthurian Legend. And Robin Hood is also one. So, could it be that we have a myth playing out because while the world is heavily saturated by chaos energy's but is still ruled and possessed by humans? This would also fit with Robin Hood. Maybe a protective spirit of the poor, suppressed and those in need manifested there?

Sir Gruffydd
They only managed an hour of sleep. A sound like thunder rang out across the village, and the ground shook.

Bedwyr staggered out of bed. Finding his way to the door, he found Lucen in the threshold. Lucen grimaced as he saw Bedwyr. He mouthed, "Knight." Bedwyr knew instantly he didn't mean Pellinore's.

Outside, Pellinore was standing in front of the door. Bedwyr came out just as the other Knight approached.

The other Knight was a hulking behemoth in bright red and black. A hulking chainaxe was its principle armament, and it loomed over the house like a living God. It had none of the elegance or beauty of Pellinore's Perfect Sinew. This was a pure weapon of Vortigern, a monster machine made for massacre.

A long moment passed, and then the cockpit opened. A sturdy figure emerged, and slid down to the ground. He was a rather short man, barely coming to Pellinore's shoulder, but all muscle and with a thick red beard. He was bald, and on his head were tattooed ritual marks. Bedwyr looked away instinctively from them. They made his eyes hurt.

"King Pellinore!" The Chaos Knight boomed. "Is that you, you old bastard? I'd heard you died."

"Greatly exaggerated, Sir Gruffydd," Pellinore answered. He shifted a little on his feet, into what Bedwyr recognized as a combat stance. This wasn't like Hazon. Pellinore was ready to use his blade if need be.

Gruffydd chuckled deeply. "Well, I'm glad of it. Pellinore the Undefeated didn't deserve to fall like a dog behind that piss-drinker Uther Pendragon." The warrior rubbed the hilt of his own blade grimly. "He deserves to fall in single combat, with a true warrior."

"Well, if you see a true warrior, pray direct me to him."

Gruffydd flung his head back, laughing heartily. Bedwyr found himself smiling weakly. What happened next, he was barely able to register.

With sudden, shocking speed for a man of his bulk, Gruffydd whipped out his broadsword and lunged at Pellinore. By the time Bedwyr realized what had happened, Pellinore had his own, slimmer blade out, and a loud clang rang through the village as he blocked the strike.

Pellinore turned the stroke easily, forcing it away from him. He spun to the side, aiming his own strike at Gruffydd's throat. But the rugged warrior brought up his shield, and Pellinore's sword bounced back.

Gruffydd recovered quickly, surging forward and aiming strike after fierce strike. Pellinore neatly dodged or parried every blow.

Bedwyr backed away, his eye wide in awe. Lucen was behind him, but Bedwyr didn't spare him a look. His eye was locked on the battle before him, a battle between two Knights. Elite warriors.

The fight was near even. Pellinore was the quicker and the more technically skilled swordsman, but Gruffydd possessed a doughy kind of stamina that would allow him to fight for hours, as well as his sturdy shield.

For five long minutes it was nothing but strike, repose, dodge, and block. The clangs of metal on metal rang out through the village, with many more women and children emerging to witness the duel.

At last, first blood was drawn. Pellinore spun a neat faint, striking out above Gruffydd's block and slicing a line of blood on his upper cheek. Gruffydd let out a grunt, more of irritation then pain, and lumbered forward, shield leading. He struck Pellinore back, nearly bowling the slimmer man over.

Bedwyr gasped, but Pellinore managed to keep his feet, springing back like a gymnast. He was breathing a little heavily. He laughed breathlessly. "I'm getting old, Sir Gruffydd."

His enemy snorted. "You're getting old? We're all getting old, King Pellinore. Only folk that don't are the Giants, the Gods, and the damned Tuatha." Gruffydd slid his sword back into its sheath. "Enough of this farce. There is only one way men like you and I truly duel, Pellinore. Only one way honor is done to us both. The Joust."

The words caused a ripple to run over the town. Whispers began. A Joust. That meant only one thing. A duel between Knights. Not on foot, but in their hulking machines.

Bedwyr swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. Battles between Knights. He had heard of such things before. Such duels were known to destroy entire villages with sheer collateral damage. He looked to Pellinore.

Pellinore darted a look at him, his eyes grim. Then he sheathed his sword. "Very well, Gruffydd. But not here. I won't risk harming these people."

Gruffydd spat into the dirt. "You worry too much for smallfolk, Pellinore. It was always a weakness of yours."

Pellinore smiled a little sadly. "I disagree."

"Fine," Gruffydd growled. He gestured. "We will move to that copse you've placed your Knight in. There we will finish this. And no first blood bullshit. This is to the death, King Pellinore."

"Agreed, Sir Gruffydd," Pellinore said. And with that the two Knights bowed to each other. There was respect in it, but also grim acceptance. Today, one of them would die.

With that, Gruffydd returned to his Knight, and with another small earthquake thudded towards the established dueling ground.

Pellinore cursed softly, and then moved to Bedwyr and Lucen. "I'm sorry. I thought I'd have more time before Vortigern set a Knight after me."

Bedwyr shook with fear. "I can't do this alone, Pellinore. I can't fight the Priest without you."

Pellinore patted his shoulder. "You aren't alone lad." He nodded to Lucen. "You have your brother, you have your will, and you have your hopes. That will have to be enough."

"And Myrddin too!" Lucen piped up.

Bedwyr wasn't so certain of that. Myrddin struck him as someone who could only help in dreams. And this was no dream.

But Pellinore grinned at Lucen's enthusiasm. He drew a long dagger, and handed it to the slightly older boy. "Here. I'd give it to Bedwyr, but the Priest will be cautious with him." Lucen didn't take offence to that, he took the dagger with excited eyes. "If there is a chance to catch him by surprise, do it. He may not have the same weak points as a human, but the throat is pretty universal, as is the skull." Lucen nodded, jaw set.

Pellinore turned back to Bedwyr. He leaned close. "We have our duels today, Bedwyr. And I don't know about you, but I don't plan on losing." Bedwyr nodded, gathering his will.

A tiny voice hissed in his head. "No one ever does."

Last edited:
His enemy snorted. "You're getting old? We're all getting old, King Pellinore. Only folk that don't are the Giants, the Gods, and the damned Tuatha." Gruffydd slid his sword back into its sheath. "Enough of this farce. There is only one way men like you and I truly duel, Pellinore. Only one way honor is done to us both. The Joust."

The words caused a ripple to run over the town. Whispers began. A Joust. That meant only one thing. A duel between Knights. Not on foot, but in their hulking machines.
Not something you'd see every day.
Pellinore turned back to Bedwyr. He leaned close. "We have our duels today, Bedwyr. And I don't know about you, but I don't plan on losing." Bedwyr nodded, gathering his will.

Yeah, I have a feeling one of them won't be coming back alive from their duel.

UNLESS YOUR A TACTICAL GENIUS

Hmmm... plans are afoot. Tzeentch stretchs his grubby little talons into the mind of our... innocent? Khornate. Personally, Khorne solution would be to beat the priests skull into the the ground so hard that the skull ain't reaching the skull throne EVER. But that won't work, aye?

So does the chaos knight only have a chainsword? Wait, the hell I'm on about? Of course it's only a chainsword. Any other weapon would be dishonorable.

They only managed an hour of sleep. A sound like thunder rang out across the village, and the ground shook.

Bedwyr staggered out of bed. Finding his way to the door, he found Lucen in the threshold. Lucen grimaced as he saw Bedwyr. He mouthed, "Knight." Bedwyr knew instantly he didn't mean Pellinore's.

Outside, Pellinore was standing in front of the door. Bedwyr came out just as the other Knight approached.

The other Knight was a hulking behemoth in bright red and black. A hulking chainaxe was its principle armament, and it loomed over the house like a living God. It had none of the elegance or beauty of Pellinore's Perfect Sinew. This was a pure weapon of Vortigern, a monster machine made for massacre.
You know, I've just noticed the Knights in your stories are... varied. The GW Knights have, like, three chassis and Forge World has three, maybe four. The customizability for most chassis is locked or only for two choices between weapons. The Khornate Knight is described very vaguely, but it still gives the image of a wildly different machine to Pellinore's. Nice. I'm a sucker for oodles of details that give life to something, but playing off the audiences imagination is good too.
A long moment passed, and then the cockpit opened. A sturdy figure emerged, and slid down to the ground. He was a rather short man, barely coming to Pellinore's shoulder, but all muscle and with a thick red beard. He was bald, and on his head were tattooed ritual marks. Bedwyr looked away instinctively from them. They made his eyes hurt.

"King Pellinore!" The Chaos Knight boomed. "Is that you, you old bastard? I'd heard you died."

"Greatly exaggerated, Sir Gruffydd," Pellinore answered. He shifted a little on his feet, into what Bedwyr recognized as a combat stance. This wasn't like Hazon. Pellinore was ready to use his blade if need be.
Near as I can tell, that Gruffydd is inspired by the one Welsh King who managed to rule the whole lot of Wales before the Normans kicked the door in.
Gruffydd chuckled deeply. "Well, I'm glad of it. Pellinore the Undefeated didn't deserve to fall like a dog behind that piss-drinker Uther Pendragon." The warrior rubbed the hilt of his own blade grimly. "He deserves to fall in single combat, with a true warrior."

"Well, if you see a true warrior, pray direct me to him."

Gruffydd flung his head back, laughing heartily. Bedwyr found himself smiling weakly. What happened next, he was barely able to register.

With sudden, shocking speed for a man of his bulk, Gruffydd whipped out his broadsword and lunged at Pellinore. By the time Bedwyr realized what had happened, Pellinore had his own, slimmer blade out, and a loud clang rang through the village as he blocked the strike.
Makes sense the two are swordfighting, and without pistols to boot. This is a Knight World. Knights and their logistics points are about as advanced as technology gets. If people are fighting outside the mech, it's with melee. And not even chain or power weaponry, just mortal steel.
At last, first blood was drawn. Pellinore spun a neat faint, striking out above Gruffydd's block and slicing a line of blood on his upper cheek. Gruffydd let out a grunt, more of irritation then pain, and lumbered forward, shield leading. He struck Pellinore back, nearly bowling the slimmer man over.

Bedwyr gasped, but Pellinore managed to keep his feet, springing back like a gymnast. He was breathing a little heavily. He laughed breathlessly. "I'm getting old, Sir Gruffydd."
Says the guy who just did a fucking backflip. Yeah, you probably can't take big hits like you used to but you still recovered from that pretty damn well.
Tuatha... tuatha... Hm. Says here that means Tribe Of The Gods. Must mean daemons or daemonhosts. Although that makes me wonder if the Giants are what they call Space Marines.
Gruffydd slid his sword back into its sheath. "Enough of this farce. There is only one way men like you and I truly duel, Pellinore. Only one way honor is done to us both. The Joust."

Bedwyr swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. Battles between Knights. He had heard of such things before. Such duels were known to destroy entire villages with sheer collateral damage. He looked to Pellinore.

Pellinore darted a look at him, his eyes grim. Then he sheathed his sword. "Very well, Gruffydd. But not here. I won't risk harming these people."

Gruffydd spat into the dirt. "You worry too much for smallfolk, Pellinore. It was always a weakness of yours."
Pellinore smiled a little sadly. "I disagree."

"Fine," Gruffydd growled. He gestured. "We will move to that copse you've placed your Knight in. There we will finish this. And no first blood bullshit. This is to the death, King Pellinore."

"Agreed, Sir Gruffydd," Pellinore said. And with that the two Knights bowed to each other. There was respect in it, but also grim acceptance. Today, one of them would die.
You'd never see a World Eater do that. Or a Black Templar. Only Knights of both Chaos and Imperium would bow in respect, agree to stand away from civilians, and them shoot/bash the living shit out of each other and their machines.Although I do see that ASOIAF reference.
Pellinore cursed softly, and then moved to Bedwyr and Lucen. "I'm sorry. I thought I'd have more time before Vortigern set a Knight after me."

Bedwyr shook with fear. "I can't do this alone, Pellinore. I can't fight the Priest without you."

Pellinore patted his shoulder. "You aren't alone lad." He nodded to Lucen. "You have your brother, you have your will, and you have your hopes. That will have to be enough."

"And Myrddin too!" Lucen piped up.

Bedwyr wasn't so certain of that. Myrddin struck him as someone who could only help in dreams. And this was no dream.
And I'm not so sure how well Lucen can contribute.
But Pellinore grinned at Lucen's enthusiasm. He drew a long dagger, and handed it to the slightly older boy. "Here. I'd give it to Bedwyr, but the Priest will be cautious with him." Lucen didn't take offence to that, he took the dagger with excited eyes. "If there is a chance to catch him by surprise, do it. He may not have the same weak points as a human, but the throat is pretty universal, as is the skull." Lucen nodded, jaw set.

... either Lucen is going to die, or he'll save Bedwyr but be cursed for it.

The Beginning of Duels
Pellinore entered the copse. His Knight stood intact, Gruffydd waiting by his own. He hadn't done anything to sabotage the duel. Why would he? Gruffydd was an honorable man in his own way, and wouldn't cheat in a duel. It would be beneath him.

Gruffydd leaned on a tree, and watched Pellinore with cold eyes. "Were those boys yours? You don't strike me as the sort to father bastards with our sort."

"I only met them recently," Pellinore answered calmly. "I'm just trying to help them."

"That Priest is after them right?"

"Yes."

Gruffydd grunted, and spat. "Well, they're doomed then. I'd apologize for splitting them from you, but I honestly don't care."

"So it seems."

"So it is! Chaos has a grip, Pellinore, like steel. Once it gets its claws in you, it doesn't let go. Ever. That is something you Loyalists refuse to understand. That boy is like this planet. His soul belongs to the Dark Gods, and no amount of stubborn belief or fighting will change that."

Pellinore sighed softly. "And yet we fight on."

"And die, and fail. Over and over." Gruffydd stepped forward. "Listen to me, Pellinore, it isn't too late. You can join us. You'd be well welcomed and blessed. The Blood God would welcome a Warrior of your stature, and I'd like to have you as a friend, rather than a foe."

Pellinore closed his eyes, and shook his head gently. "No, Gruffydd. I cannot. All Vortigern knows is war and conquest. Endlessly, at the cost of everything and everyone else. I will not serve something like that. I choose to believe in more than that."

Gruffydd laughed, coldly and meanly. "In this universe, Pellinore, there is only war."

"For someone so convinced of their utter and complete victory, you sure are stalling."

"Very well," said Gruffydd, "if you are so quick to die, so be it. You will lose the title of 'undefeated' this day, King Pellinore." He mounted his Knight, wire pulling him to the Throne.

Pellinore moved to his own. "You know something, Gruffydd? That title was never real. I've lost as much as any man. More than some." He entered his Throne, and set himself within. "But I've survived every fight I've been in, and that is what counts, sometimes."

And so the duel was set. In the ancient tradition of the Knights of Avalon, the two warriors moved to opposite sides of the Copse. The mighty machines creaked and thudded, and their spirits hissed in anticipation for the upcoming battle.

Pellinore moved his massive battle lance to combat position. Gruffydd's chainaxe roared to life. And then, with a bellow, the two machines charged forward.

***************​

Meanwhile, a duel of a different sort was beginning in the village. Lucen huddled in the door frame, dagger gripped tightly in his hand. "He stopped," the boy hissed.

Bedwyr hobbled up to his brother. His heart was pounding, and his mind was awash in fear. But he forced himself forward. Sure enough, the Priest had ended the spell before the Cauldron, and was currently hunched near double next to it.

"Good a time as any," Lucen whispered. The dagger quivered in his hand.

Bedwyr shivered. "Stay back, Lucen." With that, he moved through the door and past the threshold.

The Priest didn't look up as Bedwyr approached. "Bedwyr," the creature hissed. Shuffling a little on the ground, the being twisted itself to face him. "You're early."

Bedwyr stepped right up to the mutated human and said, trying to sound as strong as possible, "The Tynged. What is it?"

A moment. The Priest seethed, letting out an odd, guttural noise. It took a moment for Bedwyr to realize that the thing was laughing. "Oh? And what do you think you'd do with it?"

"Find a loophole in it." It sounded a little silly saying it out loud, but Bedwyr pumped it with confidence.

The Priest stared up at Bedwyr. It let out another hideous guttural laugh, and rasped, "I will tell you. The Tynged is simple. You will devote yourself to something greater than yourself on your thirteenth birthday. That was the initial curse."

It sounded oh so simple, so easy to dodge. But Bedwyr's blood ran cold. "Initial?" His voice was a squeak from the fear.

"Yes," the Priest sniffed. "Initial. Did you really think I'd leave it to chance?" The creature gestured. "No matter. We can start early. Step forward Bedwyr. Look into the cauldron. Your destiny awaits."

Bedwyr tried to turn to leave, but he found himself moving in the opposite direction. Towards the cauldron. The massive black iron tool loomed in front of him. It was large enough to hold an adult human, and must have weighed as much as ten of them.

And Bedwyr realized that the cauldron was the most frightful thing in the cosmos. The Priest had been filling it full of blood and who knows what else for the past week. But it was more than that. There was something in the cauldron, something more than just the physical stuff. If he even lay eyes on it, he would be lost.

But Bedwyr kept walking. Closer and closer to the black cauldron.

"And die, and fail. Over and over." Gruffydd stepped forward. "Listen to me, Pellinore, it isn't too late. You can join us. You'd be well welcomed and blessed. The Blood God would welcome a Warrior of your stature, and I'd like to have you as a friend, rather than a foe."
And thus, eternal torment.
Pellinore closed his eyes, and shook his head gently. "No, Gruffydd. I cannot. All Vortigern knows is war and conquest. Endlessly, at the cost of everything and everyone else. I will not serve something like that. I choose to believe in more than that."
A proud knight.
Bedwyr hobbled up to his brother. His heart was pounding, and his mind was awash in fear. But he forced himself forward. Sure enough, the Priest had ended the spell before the Cauldron, and was currently hunched near double next to it.
Push him into the cauldron!
And Bedwyr realized that the cauldron was the most frightful thing in the cosmos. The Priest had been filling it full of blood and who knows what else for the past week. But it was more than that. There was something in the cauldron, something more than just the physical stuff. If he even lay eyes on it, he would be lost.

The Priest stared up at Bedwyr. It let out another hideous guttural laugh, and rasped, "I will tell you. The Tynged is simple. You will devote yourself to something greater than yourself on your thirteenth birthday. That was the initial curse."

Well at the very least priesty lad is smart enough to realise that no, this is in fact a very stupid curse and we all know the way it's going to go.

Gruffydd stepped forward. "Listen to me, Pellinore, it isn't too late. You can join us. You'd be well welcomed and blessed. The Blood God would welcome a Warrior of your stature, and I'd like to have you as a friend, rather than a foe."

Gruffydd laughed, coldly and meanly. "In this universe, Pellinore, there is only war."
So Gruffydd went the Avatus route. But at least he's less bitter about it than the Blood Raven. He even extends a form of affection to Pellinore by calling him friend, an unusual act for a Khornate expected to kill his fellows at any time.
Pellinore moved to his own. "You know something, Gruffydd? That title was never real. I've lost as much as any man. More than some." He entered his Throne, and set himself within. "But I've survived every fight I've been in, and that is what counts, sometimes."
Yeah, that's the Imperium: Survival at any horrible price.
Pellinore moved his massive battle lance to combat position. Gruffydd's chainaxe roared to life. And then, with a bellow, the two machines charged forward.
And of course the two forget they have arms with guns.

"Good a time as any," Lucen whispered. The dagger quivered in his hand.

Bedwyr shivered. "Stay back, Lucen." With that, he moved through the door and past the threshold.

The Priest didn't look up as Bedwyr approached. "Bedwyr," the creature hissed. Shuffling a little on the ground, the being twisted itself to face him. "You're early."
Aaaand here we go. Priest Vs. Squire. Time to see who's smarter.
Bedwyr stepped right up to the mutated human and said, trying to sound as strong as possible, "The Tynged. What is it?"

A moment. The Priest seethed, letting out an odd, guttural noise. It took a moment for Bedwyr to realize that the thing was laughing. "Oh? And what do you think you'd do with it?"

"Find a loophole in it." It sounded a little silly saying it out loud, but Bedwyr pumped it with confidence.

Well, that's pretty straightforward andwaitwhatwasthatpartaboutasecondcurse?
It sounded oh so simple, so easy to dodge. But Bedwyr's blood ran cold. "Initial?" His voice was a squeak from the fear.

"Yes," the Priest sniffed. "Initial. Did you really think I'd leave it to chance?" The creature gestured. "No matter. We can start early. Step forward Bedwyr. Look into the cauldron. Your destiny awaits."

Bedwyr tried to turn to leave, but he found himself moving in the opposite direction. Towards the cauldron. The massive black iron tool loomed in front of him. It was large enough to hold an adult human, and must have weighed as much as ten of them.

But Bedwyr kept walking. Closer and closer to the black cauldron.
Well, time to find out if Bedwyr can play with Fate.

Duels
Grass and dirt flew as the two Knights charged each other down. The very air seemed to split before their raw momentum, and Void Shields shimmered in front of them, ready to deflect. Ammo for ranged weapons was rare on Avalon, and so the usual rules for Jousts restricted their use. Such things were saved for true war.

Pellinore's lance gave him an advantage in terms of reach, so the point of it was the first thing to make contact. It drove into Gruffydd's shield with a sound much like thunder. The Ion Shield crackled but held.

In response to holding back the strike, Gruffydd forced himself forward. His Chainaxe screamed as it was lofted into the air for a massive swing. At the same instant, he drove forward into a thrust with his cannon, tipped with a slashing blade.

Pellinore shifted his mount expertly. Shifting the leg, Pellinore forced Perfect Sinew to take a firm step forward. The Ion Shield screamed and was forced slowly but surely backward. At the same instant, he swung his own Ion Shield upward, parrying the upper swing. His more corporeal shield dealt with the thrust of the cannon. There was a much louder shriek of metal on metal. Paint flew, but the metal of the shield held.

Gruffydd swore loudly, and shifted back. His mount staggered backward, trying to regain its footing.

Pellinore pressed the advantage, lunging the lance forward. It skimmed off the edge of the Ion Shield and slammed into Gruffydd's side with a scream of metal.

Haptic feedback caused Gruffydd to experience a surge of agony, and the warrior snarled out a pained growl.

The two Knights returned to something close to their original position. The warriors glared each other down, measure now gained.

"Not bad," Gruffydd grunted. "Those two shields of yours are a difficult combination."

"Yes," Pellinore agreed calmly, "but it does make it difficult to score blows, seeing as I only have one weapon to work with."

"Hardly matters, when your shield placement is perfection incarnate," Gruffydd said. He shifted a little, Knight moving to a supposed better position for the next charge. "I never fought you all those years ago, but your skills were legendary, and now I understand why. Your technique is breathtaking."

"Thank you."

"Nonetheless, this will be the end. Technique will fall before strength."

Pellinore set his lance once again. "Don't be so sure. I've bested many warriors like you."

Gruffydd laughed coldly. "Alright. No more holding back." He set his axe roaring. "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne! No quarter! No surrender!"

The two Knights charged once again.

*******************​

The cauldron loomed in front of Bedwyr, giving of its menacing stench. He made another forced step, and the thing grew closer.

The Priest slid to his side, gently stroking his shoulders. "Yes. Yes. Face the truth, face your destiny. Power awaits you."

The part of Bedwyr's mind that remained free wondered if power really was living alone in a swamp, allowing the miasma of Chaos to rot away your humanity until you were little more than a vaguely humanoid lizard. But that part was reduced to screaming at a body that no longer followed his commands.

Another hobbling step, and the cauldron loomed larger and larger. His heart pounded and anticipation grew.

The Priest started to push him forward, speeding the process along. "Get in. Get in." He was nearly at the edge.

Suddenly, there was a boyish war scream. "Bedwyr!" Lucen's voice rose as he dived at the Priest, dagger leading. Sure enough, he went right for the monster's throat, as Pellinore advised.

The dagger slammed into the mutant's exposed throat, punching through scale and into the soft flesh beneath. Vile blood spilled onto the ground and gushed on Lucen's hands. The Priest shrieked in mad agony.

The wound was not lethal. It was, to the creature's strange and twisted biology, little more than a rather painful annoyance. Lashing out with his monstrous strength, the Priest struck Lucen such a blow that the boy went flying back, letting go of the dagger.

"Lucen!" Bedwyr yelled. His mouth at least was free. Nothing else was. He kept walking, almost touching the cauldron. "God-Emperor help me!" Bedwyr sobbed. "Nimue save me! Myrddin! Anyone!"

"There is no one!" The Priest sneered. "No one but you! The God-Emperor is gone, Nimue is a worthless Tuatha bitch, and Myrddin is a fraud and charlatan! All you are is one human, and humans aren't worth spit before the power of the God of Change!"

It was true. Bedwyr realized it suddenly. The God-Emperor was gone. He had been split from the world of Avalon a long time ago, along with his Imperium. Nimue's seat of power was a long way away, in the lake known as Camelot. And Myrddin was, ultimately, just a human like him, and was probably not even aware of what happened here at this moment.

But something stirred inside Bedwyr. His hand stopped reaching for the cauldron's rim with a force of will he never expected. Slowly, painfully, he forced it back. "You're right." The words came out through gritted teeth. "I am just a human. And that is it."

"What?" The Priest squawked in confusion.

Everything Pellinore had told him. Everything about hope and freedom. What else was it but a promise to hold to oneself? A promise to hold to an ideal? Something beyond magic.

Bedwyr turned, every movement igniting a burst of agony through his body and soul. But his blood was up and his mind and heart were firm. He would not touch the cauldron. He would not look inside it. He would not enter it. He would not be corrupted.

The Priest screamed in hate and rage. It grabbed the dagger in its throat and wrenched it out with a painful sounding squelch. "If you won't be an acolyte, you will be a sacrifice!" The mutant screamed as it lunged at the boy.

Something lept from the shadows and slammed smack into the Priest. Both fell to the ground with a thud. The dagger clattered away.

Killomer slammed a massive fist into the Priest's face. "Like hell! This boy is too good for your miserable God! And I'll be damned before I let such a good future foe be food for Tzeentch's witchfyres!" The war-devoted mutant slammed his fist into the other mutant's face again. He looked up at Bedwyr and shot him a bloody grin. "Best for you to run boy. I'll see you on the battlefield one day. I'll kill you then! I swear on the Blood God! Run and get stronger! So I can take your skull later!"

Bedwyr didn't run away, however, he ran toward the downed Priest and passed him to Lucen. Lucen wasn't dead or severely injured, only stunned. Bedwyr steadied his brother on his shoulder, lifting him upright.

"Leave me," Lucen croaked. "Run." He slumped after that, energy gone.

"No." Bedwyr started to move, slowed by both his peg leg and Lucen's dead weight. "I'm not leaving anyone behind."

"Fool!" Killomer called after him. "I won't be seeing you on the battlefield after all, boy! Weakness isn't tolerated in this universe!"

Bedwyr ignored the man. Damned worshippers of Khorne and all the rest of the Dark Gods. They had no power over him. Not anymore.

Suddenly they emerged from the shadows. Lean, indistinct forms, armed with sharp swords and axes. They were the crude militia of the Priest of the Bog. Cruel, deadly mutants all, possessed of hideous strength and fierce cold determination.

Bedwyr stopped short. The force drew closer, blades gleaming. He'd won the battle but lost the war.

Last edited:
Grass and dirt flew as the two Knights charged each other down. The very air seemed to split before their raw momentum, and Void Shields shimmered in front of them, ready to deflect. Ammo for ranged weapons was rare on Avalon, and so the usual rules for Jousts restricted their use. Such things were saved for true war.
1. Good to know my favorite knights are sitting this one out.
2. I think you mean Ion Shields. You call them Void Shields throughout the chapter/
In response to holding back the strike, Gruffydd forced himself forward. His Chainaxe screamed as it was lofted into the air for a massive swing. At the same instant, he drove forward into a thrust with his cannon, tipped with a slashing blade.
Of course he has a Chaos-pattern bayonet on his heavy firepower.
The two Knights returned to something close to their original position. The warriors glared each other down, measure now gained.

"Not bad," Gruffydd grunted. "Those two shields of yours are a difficult combination."

"Yes," Pellinore agreed calmly, "but it does make it difficult to score blows, seeing as I only have one weapon to work with."

"Hardly matters, when your shield placement is perfection incarnate," Gruffydd said. He shifted a little, Knight moving to a supposed better position for the next charge. "I never fought you all those years ago, but your skills were legendary, and now I understand why. Your technique is breathtaking."
This is the Khornate equivalent of giving a love letter.
The Priest started to push him forward, speeding the process along. "Get in. Get in." He was nearly at the edge.

Suddenly, there was a boyish war scream. "Bedwyr!" Lucen's voice rose as he dived at the Priest, dagger leading. Sure enough, he went right for the monster's throat, as Pellinore advised.

The dagger slammed into the mutant's exposed throat, punching through scale and into the soft flesh beneath. Vile blood spilled onto the ground and gushed on Lucen's hands. The Priest shrieked in mad agony.

The wound was not lethal. It was, to the creature's strange and twisted biology, little more than a rather painful annoyance. Lashing out with his monstrous strength, the Priest struck Lucen such a blow that the boy went flying back, letting go of the dagger.

"Lucen!" Bedwyr yelled. His mouth at least was free. Nothing else was. He kept walking, almost touching the cauldron. "God-Emperor help me!" Bedwyr sobbed. "Nimue save me! Myrddin! Anyone!"
... well that went badly. Lucen didn't actually hurt anything, his hands are going to have to be amputated, and now he's probably dead.
"There is no one!" The Priest sneered. "No one but you! The God-Emperor is gone, Nimue is a worthless Tuatha bitch, and Myrddin is a fraud and charlatan! All you are is one human, and humans aren't worth spit before the power of the God of Change!"
Not surprising Nimue's an Eldar, because Warhammer Fantasy, and that the priests know Merlin isn't one of their own.
It was true. Bedwyr realized it suddenly. The God-Emperor was gone. He had been split from the world of Avalon a long time ago, along with his Imperium. Nimue's seat of power was a long way away, in the lake known as Camelot. And Myrddin was, ultimately, just a human like him, and was probably not even aware of what happened here at this moment.

But something stirred inside Bedwyr. His hand stopped reaching for the cauldron's rim with a force of will he never expected. Slowly, painfully, he forced it back. "You're right." The words came out through gritted teeth. "I am just a human. And that is it."

"What?" The Priest squawked in confusion.

Everything Pellinore had told him. Everything about hope and freedom. What else was it but a promise to hold to oneself? A promise to hold to an ideal? Something beyond magic.
Interesting. He faced despair, agreed there was nothing... and yet chose not to go? Curious.
The Priest screamed in hate and rage. It grabbed the dagger in its throat and wrenched it out with a painful sounding squelch. "If you won't be an acolyte, you will be a sacrifice!" The mutant screamed as it lunged at the boy.

Something leapt from the shadows and slammed smack into the Priest. Both fell to the ground with a thud. The dagger clattered away.

Killomer slammed a massive fist into the Priest's face. "Like hell! This boy is too good for your miserable God! And I'll be damned before I let such a good future foe be food for Tzeentch's witchfyres!" The war-devoted mutant slammed his fist into the other mutant's face again. He looked up at Bedwyr and shot him a bloody grin. "Best for you to run boy. I'll see you on the battlefield one day. I'll kill you then! I swear on the Blood God! Run and get stronger! So I can take your skull later!"
Wait, was Killomer always a mutant? And yeah, he's clearly gotten more corrupted since we last saw him.
Bedwyr didn't run away, however, he ran toward the downed Priest and passed him to Lucen. Lucen wasn't dead or severely injured, only stunned. Bedwyr steadied his brother on his shoulder, lifting him upright.

"Leave me," Lucen croaked. "Run." He slumped after that, energy gone.

"No." Bedwyr started to move, slowed by both his peg leg and Lucen's dead weight. "I'm not leaving anyone behind."
Daaaaw. Brotherly love.
"Fool!" Killomer called after him. "I won't be seeing you on the battlefield after all, boy! Weakness isn't tolerated in this universe!"

Bedwyr ignored the man. Damned worshippers of Khorne and all the rest of the Dark Gods. They had no power over him. Not anymore.

Suddenly they emerged from the shadows. Lean, indistinct forms, armed with sharp swords and axes. They were the crude militia of the Priest of the Bog. Cruel, deadly mutants all, possessed of hideous strength and fierce cold determination.

Bedwyr stopped short. The force drew closer, blades gleaming. He'd won the battle but lost the war.
... oh. That's why he emerged alone, right now, and much more mutated. Kilomer was running from the Bog Militia. Because they'd killed all his men. And Killomer had hit the limit of how much he'd accomplish back there, so he went back to kill the person in charge. Well fuck.

That's an interesting tidbit. Explains why they don't just shoot at each other.
Pellinore set his lance once again. "Don't be so sure. I've bested many warriors like you."
"There are warriors like you in every generation. And I've bested every last one of them."

Of course, would have been too easy otherwise.
Creed disagrees.
It was true. Bedwyr realized it suddenly. The God-Emperor was gone. He had been split from the world of Avalon a long time ago, along with his Imperium.
Hmm, I wonder if Avalon is cut-off from the rest of the Galaxy by a Warp Strom, or something.
Something lept from the shadows and slammed smack into the Priest. Both fell to the ground with a thud. The dagger clattered away.

A surprise save!

Victory or Death
The Joust had devolved, or perhaps evolved, into an endless clash of weapons. It had transformed into a slow dance on a massive scale. Ion Shields flickered and crashed as blows were rained on them, and Pellinore's physical shield shuddered and rang in similar fashion.

Howling, Gruffydd lunged his chainaxe in a fierce stroke. Pellinore shifted back, and the axe missed by mere inches, skimming over the edge of the Ion Shield. It kept going, striking a tree and nearly severing it in two.

Pellinore took the opportunity to lunge, striking another solid blow on Gruffydd's hulking carapace. The Chaos Knight staggered back, sparking.

But Gruffydd's mad, stubborn strength kept him up and fighting. Ripping the axe from the tree with a wrench and scream of chain, he swung it into Pellinore. Though the blunt end, the blow caused Pellinore to stagger out of position.

Pellinore clenched his teeth in pain. More was coming. He desperately tried to shift his shield, but it was too late. Gruffydd's cannon-bayonet jammed into his side.

A jolt of raw pain spasmed through Pellinore's body. Grimacing, he forced his Knight back. Striding away, he tried to put some distance between him and Gruffydd.

But Gruffydd kept up with him, swinging again and again, still howling his strange war song.

Pellinore knew he needed to somehow get some distance. His lance was best on a charge. Faced with an absolutely unrelenting opponent, it was difficult to see any chance to do that. Of course, he could use his stubber. But that would be cheating. That would only become an option if Gruffydd broke the rules of engagement first.

For now, Pellinore set himself for a defensive conflict. He kept his eyes open, and waited for an opportunity. Blocking and dodging every blow of the chainaxe, the battle wore on for several minutes. Gruffydd's unrelenting assault started chipping away at Pellinore's impeccable technique.

****************​

Bedwyr gripped Lucen tightly as the rabble approached. Their weapons were rusty and crude, but they would still hack through soft, unprotected, flesh easily enough. And even if they all failed, the mutant band's bare hands could settle the boys.

There was no possibility of escape. Unless Bedwyr dropped Lucen, something he refused to even consider. His mind was clear on that point.

Bedwyr took a deep breath, and steadied himself. The lead mutant rushed forward, sword raised.

A loud crack rang out, and a beam of red energy struck the killer clean in the chest. The swordsman flew back, falling to the ground with a steaming hole in its chest.

Liemire emerged from a nearby alleyway, staff in hand. He fired two more shots, blasting apart two more mutants. "Come on! Get here!"

Bedwyr hobbled over as quickly as he could. More energy blasts flew by his ear, as Liemire opened a bevy of fire into the mutants. They shrank back in fear at both the death among them, and the terrifying display of Druidic magic.

Bedwyr and Lucen made it to Liemire. They staggered behind him. Lucen was finally starting to come back to himself. "Pellinore told me to watch you two," Liemire said in explanation. He was still firing into the horde. Many lay dead on the ground, but the others were rallying, sneering vicious war cries.

And suddenly, it seemed their Gods smiled on the mob. Liemire's staff sputtered and the energy beams ceased to come. Liemire cursed loudly. "Dammit! This place! Run! Don't look back."

Bedwyr continued to hobble away. Liemire kept up with the two easily, but keeping himself between the boys and the now charging rabble. "Didn't want to use this, but I have no choice!" Liemire fumbled in his robe and produced a sphere.

"What is that?" Bedwyr asked.

"A Holy Hand Grenade."

Liemire pressed something on the sphere and flung it behind them. A second passed, and then the alleyway erupted into fire.

The three runners staggered as a wave of force struck them. Bedwyr almost fell over, but the Druid grabbed him up from behind. The three fled into the forest a moment later. Behind them was a pile of shredded meat and broken metal.

Bedwyr shuddered. The magic of the Druids was something to be feared indeed.

***************​

The duel continued as it had been for some time. Gruffydd rushed again and again, flailing attack after attack, and Pellinore blocked with controlled elegance.

Gruffydd had stopped screaming, and instead started to yell insults at Pellinore. "Come on Pellinore! Fight back you dog! Is this the power of Pellinore the Undefeated? Is this it? Is this dancing around all you amount to? I'm disappointed! Insulted!"

Pellinore smiled a grim smile. Got him. "Of course it is. My technique is such that I win the moment the duel begins. This? This is me toying with a mad dog."

Gruffydd snarled hate. He lunged his machine forward, as hard as he could. His axe rose and fell forward in a scream of metal.

What Gruffydd expected was for Pellinore to block with his Ion Shield. From there, the dance would continue. He'd find a way through the defenses of Uther's champion eventually.

But that wasn't what Pellinore did. He'd been waiting for such an overbalanced move. The instant Gruffydd lifted his axe, Pellinore rammed forward at full speed. Not with his lance, but with his shield.

Pellinore rushed inside the reach of the enemy Knight, and his shield slammed flush into Gruffydd. For a stunned moment, his own Ion Shield held, and then the sheer momentum forced him back and down. Gruffydd's Knight fell backwards to the ground with a massive crunch of metal and servos.

Pellinore calmly stepped away from the downed Knight. Gruffydd struggled to raise, slowly forcing one leg up, and starting to pivot itself upward.

Pellinore set his lance, and started to charge.

By the time he reached Gruffydd, the Chaos Knight had barely begun his rise. His mount took the lance clean in the center of the cockpit. Metal split and shattered, and Gruffydd toppled once again to the ground, his mount breaking apart.

Pellinore wiped sweat from his brow, and stood triumphant over his downed foe.

"Kill me," Gruffydd groaned. Somehow, the stubborn man yet lived.

Pellinore shook his head. "No. I don't kill downed men."

"Well, I should be dead. I bloody well lost. Utterly."

"Blame yourself, Gruffydd, for being too damn stubborn to die." Pellinore moved his mount away. He stormed back to his original position.

He was stunned by the appearance of Liemire. But even more by Bedwyr and Lucen. He smiled. "By the Throne. You won, didn't you."

Bedwyr looked up at the triumphant Knight. And he smiled. And on his dirty face, it was radiant and proud. For Bedwyr had won his first battle.

Gruffydd kept up with him, swinging again and again, still howling his strange war song.
Wonder what he's singing.
There was no possibility of escape. Unless Bedwyr dropped Lucen, something he refused to even consider. His mind was clear on that point.

Bedwyr took a deep breath, and steadied himself. The lead mutant rushed forward, sword raised.

A loud crack rang out, and a beam of red energy struck the killer clean in the chest. The swordsman flew back, falling to the ground with a steaming hole in its chest.

Liemire emerged from a nearby alleyway, staff in hand. He fired two more shots, blasting apart two more mutants. "Come on! Get here!"

Bedwyr hobbled over as quickly as he could. More energy blasts flew by his ear, as Liemire opened a bevy of fire into the mutants. They shrank back in fear at both the death among them, and the terrifying display of Druidic magic.
Yup, the Admech has Digital Lasguns. Or maybe just Lasguns with wood molded around it.
Bedwyr continued to hobble away. Liemire kept up with the two easily, but keeping himself between the boys and the now charging rabble. "Didn't want to use this, but I have no choice!" Liemire fumbled in his robe and produced a sphere.

"What is that?" Bedwyr asked.

"A Holy Hand Grenade."

Liemire pressed something on the sphere and flung it behind them. A second passed, and then the alleyway erupted into fire.
I know that's just a "Knight World" shorthand for an incendiary grenade or blessed promethium, but that's still a cool reference.
Gruffydd had stopped screaming, and instead started to yell insults at Pellinore. "Come on Pellinore! Fight back you dog! Is this the power of Pellinore the Undefeated? Is this it? Is this dancing around all you amount to? I'm disappointed! Insulted!"

Pellinore smiled a grim smile. Got him. "Of course it is. My technique is such that I win the moment the duel begins. This? This is me toying with a mad dog."

Gruffydd snarled hate. He lunged his machine forward, as hard as he could. His axe rose and fell forward in a scream of metal.
And Pellinore is a master at the most effective technique one can use against a Khornate: Taunting.
What Gruffydd expected was for Pellinore to block with his Ion Shield. From there, the dance would continue. He'd find a way through the defenses of Uther's champion eventually.

But that wasn't what Pellinore did. He'd been waiting for such an overbalanced move. The instant Gruffydd lifted his axe, Pellinore rammed forward at full speed. Not with his lance, but with his shield.

Pellinore rushed inside the reach of the enemy Knight, and his shield slammed flush into Gruffydd. For a stunned moment, his own Ion Shield held, and then the sheer momentum forced him back and down. Gruffydd's Knight fell backwards to the ground with a massive crunch of metal and servos.

Pellinore calmly stepped away from the downed Knight. Gruffydd struggled to raise, slowly forcing one leg up, and starting to pivot itself upward.

Pellinore set his lance, and started to charge.
So that's Pellinore's Special Rule. Even though SuperHeavy Walkers can walk out of melee with smaller things, against other Super-Heavy Walkers you can't. But Pellinore counts as not only having the Hit And Run special rule letting him fall back and charge again, he can do it after a stunning attack.
By the time he reached Gruffydd, the Chaos Knight had barely begun his rise. His mount took the lance clean in the center of the cockpit. Metal split and shattered, and Gruffydd toppled once again to the ground, his mount breaking apart.

Pellinore wiped sweat from his brow, and stood triumphant over his downed foe.

"Kill me," Gruffydd groaned. Somehow, the stubborn man yet lived.

Pellinore shook his head. "No. I don't kill downed men."

"Well, I should be dead. I bloody well lost. Utterly."

"Blame yourself, Gruffydd, for being too damn stubborn to die." Pellinore moved his mount away. He stormed back to his original position.
So Gruffydd's Mech just disintegrated around him despite getting hit square on with a Power Lance.

Yeah, he's a reoccurring character.

Back