A Light in the Dark: A King Arthur/Warhammer 40k Imperial Knights Story

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The World of Avalon has been severed from the Imperium for centuries.

With the loss of the Emperor's Light, the Chaos Tyrant Vortigern has risen. Much of the planet is awash in horrific and malevolent magic. The world is utterly and irrevocably changed.

And yet, there is hope. The last remaining Loyalists on the Planet dream of the coming of a savior. So heralded with the appearance of the Sword in the Stone. Whoever draws it is the one True King of Avalon. But that is only the beginning. For Chaos holds the World in an iron grip. And they won't let go without a fight.
Last edited:
Book One: The Tynged of Bedwyr

MysticKnightJoe

Defender of Holy Terra
Fighting the Forces of Evil Across the Cosmos
It was on a cold, dim night in the midst of Vortigern's territory, that Bedwyr was born. Bedwyr, the Right Hand of Arthur Pendragon, his Warden and closest friend, one of the greatest Knights of the age. He was born with one hand, one foot, and one eye.

Vortigern was the Chaos Tyrant of Avalon, and had been for centuries. Ever since the Warp Storm closed the world off from the greater Imperium and Vortigern had turned to the dread worship of the Ruinous Powers. But for a small sliver of Loyalist Resistance, Vortigern ruled the planet.

Bedwyr's family were minor warriors in the tyrant's service. His father, a devout of Khorne the God of Blood, took one look at his crippled son and seethed with disgust and rage. His mother was burned at the stake the day after his birth. But Bedwyr's father, Corneus, did nothing to the boy. For near instantly after the child's tumultuous birth, the Priest of Tzeentch, God of Change, had called.

"It is even," the Priest croaked. He was an indistinct figure, cloaked in dark green with a voice like a rasp. He reached a corpse-like hand to probe the babe's stubs and empty socket. "His left side alone is crippled. It is too uniform."

"So," Corneus growled, "my cripple isn't even good enough for you, Curse-Whisperer?"

The Priest turned the weeping babe over. "He will be accepted by the Tzeentch Order. And he will grow to be a Curse-Whisperer." He reached, and one of his mutant assistants pressed a long iron brand into his hand. "So shall he be marked. A future acolyte and servant of the God of Change."

The Priest shoved the boiling brand onto the babe's upper thigh. And the child screamed anew as the room filled with the smell of boiling flesh. It was over an instant later. The stench remained, but the child had fainted from the agony.

"What if he dies?"

"Then it is not the God's will that he become a Priest." The Priest shrugged, turned, and left. "I'll be back for him on his thirteenth birthday."

The father grimaced, but only at the fact he'd have to keep the worthless child for thirteen long years. With luck, he would die over the coming night. It would be more respectable than the destiny afforded to a Curse-Whispering Priest.

***********​

Bedwyr refused to die. The brand became infected and wept pus for a week, but that passed and the boy grew healthy and strong. For his use, Corneus had a pair of prosthetics made, a stub of a peg leg and a simple wooden arm, designed to grip a shield. Eventually, he moved as any child would, even with his handicap. He grew hardy and strong, more than capable of lifting sword and shield against the other boys in their mock fights.

His father cursed his rashness. He cursed his near-heretical turn to the Mad Priest of Tzeentch. If he had realized the boy would be truly capable of fighting, even with only one of each limb and a single eye, then he would be in Squire to a warrior of Vortigern. But it was too late. The boy was promised to the God of Change and Magic, and nothing could ever change that.

It was during one of many mock combats, as Bedwyr took the hill he and the other boys were warring over, that he saw it. Just over the ridge was the unmistakable upper shell of a Knight.

Bedwyr had never seen a Knight. He knew of them, of course. Those mighty and nigh-invincible warmachines piloted by the greatest of Vortigern's warriors. The one over the ridge was a delicate light blue and gold. It wasn't moving.

"Bedwyr," his brother Lucen asked. "What is it?"

"A Knight," Bedwyr answered. Ignoring his protesting friends, he started to walk towards it.

"The Pilot will come into town for supplies," Lucen argued. "If you approach his mount, he will kill you for the disrespect." Fear of the rugged warrior caste of Avalon was burned deep into the boys. But Bedwyr ignored his brother, curiosity overwhelming any fear.

The approach was rough, over harsh ground and thick brambles, but Bedwyr forced his way through like he was possessed. Until at last, he emerged into a quiet copse and beheld the full glory of the warmachine.

The Knight was massive, with young Bedwyr barely coming to its knee. Its right arm was armed with a massive lance, and its right was a colossal shield of some unknown metal. Carefully painted on the right pauldron was a coiled red dragon. On the left pauldron was a woman made of water.

Behind the Knight was a massive groundcar. It was a Druid's car, full of the mystic objects of a Druid's trade. And sure enough, two such practitioners of the unknown arts emerged, peering from behind their car. Both were armed, with long staff-weapons that Bedwyr understood as tools of magic, able to fire seering blasts. He'd been warned of them before, Druid's Staves.

"Who are you, boy?" The lead Druid hissed. He lowered his staff at Bedwyr. "You trespass before a sacred machine. State your business. If your town's headmen wishes us to begone, we will leave with all haste. But that is no right to interfere in the matter of Druids."

Bedwyr stared boldly at the rawboned old man. "I just wanted to see it." He showed no shame in his words.

The Druid quivered with rage. "You insolent little one-eyed pup. Do you not know your place?" He raised his staff as if to strike Bedwyr a blow, and his fellow stepped forward, shocked now.

A laugh rang through the wood. "Just wanted to see it? Is that it lad?"

A man emerged from the woods, calmly drying the last drops of water from his head. He was a tall man in his middle-forties. His straw-colored hair was thinning on the top of his skull, and he had a thin, carefully trimmed mustache. His voice was elegant and carefully clipped. In short, he was like no warrior Bedwyr had ever seen. But he had to be one, for he had a sword at his hip, albeit a strange slender one, and a handgun in a holster on his other.

"Master!" The Druid stammered. "Surely you don't find this little Chaos-bred ruffian amusing?"

The Master stepped forward. He reached down and put a gentle hand on Bedwyr's skull, gently stirring his hair. "And why not, Liemire? He has the spark of youth in his eye, and dedication. Were we not all like that when we were young and full of life, trying to find out purpose in life?"

Liemire sniffed, swinging his staff back over his back. "If you say so, Master." He turned and stormed back to his groundcar, his fellow Druid following behind.

The Warrior chuckled. "Don't take him too harshly, he is high-strung. And why not, for this is deadly territory and this is the first time he has followed me on my quest." He looked down at Bedwyr, a kind smile on his face. "What is your name, lad?"

"I am Bedwyr," answered the boy.

The Warrior smiled. "My name is Pellinore. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Bedwyr found his eyes drawn naturally to the Knight. "What is that?" He asked, pointing to the heraldic symbol on the right pauldron.

"That is the Red Dragon of Avalon," Pellinore answered.

"I've never heard of it. Is it your symbol?" Bedwyr knew about symbols. Many famous warriors had them. Vortigern had a massive white wyrm as his personal sigil, and his father bore a white wolf head on his shield.

"No," Pellinore said. His voice suddenly filled with a tired melancholy. "It is the Pendragon's."

"Pendragon? I've never heard of him." Bedwyr puffed his chest a little. Really, if he had never heard of it, how important could such a thing be.

Pellinore looked up, taking in the dragon himself. "He is the true King of Avalon."

"Vortigern is King," Bedwyr said immediately. To say otherwise is the gravest treason.

Pellinore held still and silent for a long moment. And then he said, "I said the true King, not the current King. Pendragon is the once and future King."

Bedwyr turned back to stare at the symbol on the Knight. It didn't look especially impressive, it, like Pellinore, was too elegant and delicate to appear dangerous. And yet a chill ran down Bedwyr's spine, and the brand on his leg started to ache as if it was fighting against an influence. Bedwyr, oddly, felt no need to fight it.

"You best head home lad," Pellinore said suddenly, breaking the reverie. "I will be down soon enough, once I complete my ritual cleanse." Bedwyr had never heard of such a thing. "Perhaps we shall meet again." He mused Bedwyr's hair again, and then the young boy left, mind flooded with questions.

Who was Pellinore? Who was Pendragon? And what was this strange warrior doing, saying such strange and heretical things?

But the question that burned the deepest in the boy's mind, entering his heart like a seed, was simply: Who is the Once and Future King?

[So it begins. As it has so many times before and since. The Saga of the Once and Future King. Albeit in a darker and more twisted realm then any he has ever drawn sword in.

The impulse for this fic came from a few different factors. First and foremost, my general fondness for the Legend of King Arthur. I also have wanted to do more with Imperial Knights for some time now, beyond my current Quest that will continue to run through this. I also had an interest in making something of Bedwyr, or, as he is known in most modern tellings, Bedivere. A very important man in Arthur's court, with a strong and intriguing description, he is also a character who has been mostly ignored in favor of characters like Gawain, Lancelot, and Galahad. Even though he has the final role, and arguably one of the strongest. And so the first part will focus on Bedwyr, and the dark beginning of his life.

I hope everyone who chooses to read this enjoys it. I have a lot of plans for several books and parts. This is only the beginning.]

Last edited:
First and foremost, my general fondness for the Legend of King Arthur. I also have wanted to do more with Imperial Knights for some time now, beyond my current Quest that will continue to run through this. I also had an interest in making something of Bedwyr, or, as he is known in most modern tellings, Bedivere. A very important man in Arthur's court, with a strong and intriguing description, he is also a character who has been mostly ignored in favor of characters like Gawain, Lancelot, and Galahad. Even though he has the final role, and arguably one of the strongest. And so the first part will focus on Bedwyr, and the dark beginning of his life.
Well, I'm certainly interested. Warhammer keeps a foot in magic and technology, despite the ever-growing influence of military fiction, and you deliver rather well that feeling of technology so awe-inspiring to small minds it become magic. Combined with the harshness of Chaos, and sexism because Chaos Must Be Ultra-Assholes, the rise of King Arthur and the one-armed knight shall prove to be interesting indeed. But there are two key and important questions for the story that must be answered.

1. Is King Arthur a man?
2. How good does Bedwyr look in a dress?

[So it begins. As it has so many times before and since. The Saga of the Once and Future King. Albeit in a darker and more twisted realm then any he has ever drawn sword in.

The impulse for this fic came from a few different factors. First and foremost, my general fondness for the Legend of King Arthur. I also have wanted to do more with Imperial Knights for some time now, beyond my current Quest that will continue to run through this. I also had an interest in making something of Bedwyr, or, as he is known in most modern tellings, Bedivere. A very important man in Arthur's court, with a strong and intriguing description, he is also a character who has been mostly ignored in favor of characters like Gawain, Lancelot, and Galahad. Even though he has the final role, and arguably one of the strongest. And so the first part will focus on Bedwyr, and the dark beginning of his life.

I hope everyone who chooses to read this enjoys it. I have a lot of plans for several books and parts. This is only the beginning.]
Well, my interest has been piqued. I finished a sporking of The Mists of Avalon earlier this year and am very interested in reading a good Arthurian story. Or at least one that doesn't hold the source material in contempt.

Quick question. Will you be differentiating between Morgan le Fe and Morgause? Or would that be a spoiler?

This is the greatest crossover of all time. It just is.
Certainly heads and shoulders above my plot bunny for an Imperial Knight ASOIAF fic. I applaud you, and I WANT MORE RIGHT NOW!!!

The choice to open with Bedivere is truly inspired.

PS: You might want to include 40k in the title to make it clear to prospective readers who are thirsting for 40k fic.

Last edited:
Pellinore the Undefeated
In the end, Bedwyr did what all curious young lads did, he asked his father. "Father. Who is Pellinore?"

Corneus stopped suddenly, the soup bowl just up to his mouth. The warrior's eyes widened. "Where did you hear that name?"

"Bedwyr went up to a stranger!" Lucen yelped. "It was a big Knight!" He smirked at Bedwyr with bright cruel eyes. Bedwyr glared right back.

"And it was Pellinore?" Corneus croaked. "Answer me boy! Was it Pellinore?"

"Yes," Bedwyr whispered, shrinking away from his suddenly pale father. "Who is he?" He asked with a jolt of bravery.

"A traitor," Corneus growled. "A champion among traitors. Pellinore the Undefeated. The Pendragon's First Lance."

That got Bedwyr's attention, and he jumped on it immediately. "Who is Pendragon?"

"Was!" Corneus snapped. "Was Pendragon. He died." He spat into the corner. "Uther Pendragon tried to usurp the crown from Vortigern. He failed. All that remains of his rebellion are beaten down old men like Pellinore and Ector." Corneus sighed deeply. "Hell of a warrior though. King Pellinore deserves respect for that if nothing else."

"King?" Bedwyr stammered in surprise. Pellinore hadn't had the aura he associated with the Kings of Avalon either.

"Aye, King. Though of a land that no longer exists." Corneus rose from his chair. He picked up his heavy war axe, and flung it into his belt loop. "Best inform the rest. A Knight of our own will have to be called."

"He said he'd be coming down," Bedwyr said, immediately feeling an odd sense of betrayal from his words.

Corneus nodded stiffly. "Course he is. He'll need supplies. Food, water, his Druids might need some more eclectic materials."

"Will you kill him?" Bedwyr asked.

Corneus shook his head. "Only way we could is if we ganged up on him. And that just isn't done. Vortigern will send a Knight, and that Knight will defeat him. Pellinore has to be more than forty now. He's past his prime." He moved out the door. "He isn't Pellinore the Undefeated anymore." Corneus seemed to be trying to convince himself, more so than his sons.

*****************​

Pellinore entered the village later that day, accompanied by both his Druids. Protected by little more than the thin shield of traditional Avalon Chivalry and fear of the mystics that shadowed him, the middle-aged Knight showed no real fear at the enemy that surrounded him.

Bedwyr was stunned and a bit awed. The way people talked among themselves, huddling and whispering, suggested that Pellinore was truly an implacable and famous foe of Vortigern.

Pellinore was polite to everyone, giving the guards a bow and a grin, and bending his knee to every woman he met, young or old, rich or poor.

Bedwyr and Lucen were watching from the doorframe, Bedwyr's single eye making it difficult to make out the band of local warriors that amassed to confront the Traitor King. Pellinore waved to them lightly. "Hail, warriors."

"Hail, King Pellinore," Cornerus said gruffly. He starts to heft his axe up from its loop, eyes not leaving the knight in front of him. "What business do you have here, traitor?"

Pellinore held his hands away from his sword and gun. The sign of pax on Avalon. A signal that he had no interest in fighting. Often, it just meant a fatal second to get the sword drawn. "I am on a Quest, neighbor."

"A Quest? On whose behalf?" Another warrior, Hazon, growled. Hazon was a hulking brute of a man, who always smelled of thick mead and fresh gore. He was infamous among the followers of the Blood God as an inhuman, savage, brute.

"Pendragon's, of course."

"You lie!" Hazon bellowed. He stormed forward, ignoring Corneus' squawked order to stay back. "Pendragon is food for worms, his skull is Khorne's pisspot!" Hazon stormed close to Pellinore, and Bedwyr knew that was a tactic of battle. The raw proximity of Hazon was famed, known to cause lesser warriors to stumble and be sickened.

Pellinore, however, didn't flinch, stumble, or vomit. He smiled up at Hazon. "Of course, my Lord Uther Pendragon is long dead, and evidently had no heirs. But his killer still lives. And I am duty bound to slay the monster that killed him. The last Quest of Pendragon."

A chuckle ran through the gathered warriors. Hazon threw his head back and laughed broadly. "Are you serious? Well I heard that Pendragon was butchered from behind, by a Chaos Spawn as big as a Knight. And as we all know, Chaos Spawns are indistinguishable from each other, being constantly shifting creatures of the Gods." He leaned close to the implacable Pellinore. "Your quest is a fool's errand, King of Nothing."

Pellinore again didn't flinch. His mild manner doesn't change, and neither do his utterly impentrateble politeness. "I am quite aware of that, friend. But I know what distinguishes my Questing Beast from all others. Though I will grant you it is a complicated matter, and several signifers are only noticeable upon the monster's death."

"And I suppose you've slain many of them?" Hazon blew his foul breath into Pellinore's face. "That which, if it came here, would kill us all. Would spread the grand miasma of the Gods into us all. You took on Spawn with your scrawny arms and worthless title?"

"Six of them." The statement hung in the air for a moment. "I have slain six of the so-called Chaos Spawn. I ambushed two as they romped on unknowable monstrosity. I had aid against the third, from Sir Gowther the Mad. The last two got the drop on me I must confess. And none were my Beast."

Stunned murmurs floated through the crowd. Bedwyr's eye widened. Gowther the Mad. That is a name he knows. A folklore monster, a boogeyman. But one that there is no doubt exists. Gowther is a figure that allegedly serves Vortigern and the Forces of Chaos, but is known primarily as a wandering Lance. A mad killer that does as he pleases, whether the ones he kills serve the Gods or the False God-Emperor.

Hazon guffawed loudly and meanly. "You are a shit lier, Pellinore." There was a slight gasp from the crowd, and none was louder than Bedwyr. Refusing to use a noble's title is a high insult, often worthy of death. Hazon truly wanted a challenge.

The reason, Bedwyr and all present know, is obvious. There are exactly three ways to earn the Throne of a Knight: Inherit one from a Family Line be it King or other Noble, Squire to a Knight and earn the Spurs, or kill a Knight and take the Throne from them. For a common warrior to kill a Knight is both pride and shame. Pride for the warrior, who arises in station with a single blow of the sword or axe, and shame for the dead Knight, who falls ignobly and bitterly.

Bedwyr watched with bated breath for Pellinore to draw his sword and strike the fool down. But Pellinore only shrugged. "Believe what you will, friend." And then he started to walk away, toward the rest of the warriors, who had been watching the proceedings with bated breath. Pellinore's Druids follow behind him, staves at the ready, and glaring their curses at any who seem to wish harm.

And then Hazon spoke up. "You know what I believe Pellinore." He chuckled deeply. "I believe that you're a pathetic little fraud." He spat on Pellinore's footsteps. "A coward."

Pellinore stopped short. The warriors, who had been parting in anticipation of a peaceful conclusion, nervously form back up.

"That last battle, where Uther Pendragon met the end of his worthless life, where were you?" Hazon roared. "Where was Pellinore the Undefeated? Where was the Champion of Pendragon? Hiding. Running away." Hazon spat again. "You aren't worth spit. Coward. Weakling. Traitor of all."

"Traitor?" Pellinore asked. His voice was suddenly cold.

"Of the True King, and of your False King. You failed Pendragon. Through your cowardice. You aren't Pellinore the Undefeated. You are Pellinore the Kingslayer." Hazon bayed like a dog, with several of his fellows.
Bedwyr's eyes widened. The insult was intense. Not just to Pellinore personally. But to his honor and his life.

Pellinore straightened his back and kept walking. "I won't strike you in anger," he said calmly. "Good day."

"Pellinore the No-Land, Pellinore the Failure!" Hazon roared after the Knight. "Pellinore the Cuckold!" Every insult followed after Pellinore, one after the other, flung like careless spears. And Pellinore ignored them all with a rigid back.

What Hazon said next was lost in the roars of his fellows. At least, Bedwyr couldn't quite make it out. It was something about Pellinore's wife. And Pellinore at last turned to stare at Hazon. His eyes were cold.

"What is your weapon, sir?" The Knight asked. His voice was level and calm.

Hazon hefted his axe with a roar. A circle was formed around them.

Pellinore didn't draw his sword. He didn't go for his gun. He held up his fists and settled into an easy stance.

Hazon bellowed a prayer to the War God and brought his axe down toward Pellinore's skull.

Bedwyr gripped the frame so tight that his hand grew white. He wanted to scream in terror and fear for his strange new friend.

The blow didn't come. Pellinore slid to the side, and the axe struck the dirt with all the weight of Hazon behind it. Pellinore struck Hazon a blow right on his throat. The warrior let out a dull grunt of pain, and before he could lift the axe again, Pellinore struck him another blow.

Finally, staggering with confused pain, Hazon ripped the axe from the earth, and went for another blow. This one came from the side, and seemed sluggish. Pellinore calmly leaped backwards, avoiding the stroke.

Hazon sobbed with hate and rage, and flung forward, arresting the axe's momentum and bringing it to bare once again. He aimed stroke after clumsy stroke after the lithe Knight, and Pellinore dodged every one. Hazon was now soaked with sweat, but Pellinore was hardly breathing.

Everyone watched with stunned silence. Bedwyr's grip loosened on the frame, and he found himself hobbling forward, closer to the duel.

Hazon could now barely lift his axe, and his breath was coming out in ragged, pained gasps. With one final croaking shriek, he flung himself forward, trying to bare Pellinore down with sheer dead weight.

All Pellinore did was calmly step to the side, and Hazon face planted into the earth with a thud. He lay still, his shuddering breath the only sign he yet lived.

Pellinore placed his foot on the warrior's back. "Do you yield, sir?" He asked calmly.

"Kill me!" Hazon growled. "Kill me in the sight of the War God!" There was shame in this defeat. Brought down by two punches and quick feet. The only way for Hazon to preserve his honor now was to be slain.

Pellinore mused for a moment, absently rubbing the hilt of his sword. And then he said, "No. I think not. I will not strike down a helpless man." And with that, the King let his foot off the downed Hazon, and went on his way.

Hazon screamed, his pleas to kill him following Pellinore. Utterly unmanned, the warrior's reputation was destroyed forever. The next day he vanished into the woods. He was never seen again.

But Bedwyr could barely bring himself to care about the bested warrior. He watched as the warriors parted for Pellinore, who calmly walked through them as he had before, his Druids following behind. He looked dignified, and had in fact never lost his poise throughout the barrage of insults and the final duel.

And in that moment, Bedwyr realized that the thing he wanted most in the world was to be a Knight. Like King Pellinore.

Last edited:
"And I suppose you've slain many of them?" Hazon blew his foul breath into Pellinore's face. "That which, if it came here, would kill us all. Would spread the grand miasma of the Gods into us all. You took on Spawn with your scrawny arms and worthless title?"
"Six of them." The statement hung in the air for a moment. "I have slain six of the so-called Chaos Spawn. I ambushed two as they romped on unknowable monstrosity. I had aid against the third, from Sir Gowther the Mad. The last two got the drop on me I must confess. And none were my Beast."
A Knight-sized Chaos Spawn. Well, that's one way to make new enemies.
Stunned murmurs floated through the crowd. Bedwyr's eyes widened. Gowther the Mad. That is a name he knows. A folklore monster, a boogeyman. But one that there is no doubt exists. Gowther is a figure that allegedly serves Vortigern and the Forces of Chaos, but is known primarily as a wandering Lance. A mad killer that does as he pleases, whether the ones he kills serve the Gods or the False God-Emperor.
Well, took me awhile to find the origin of The Seven Deadly Sins' feminine homunculus, but whelp. Guess Bedwyr isn't the only member of the cast who'll be getting a purification.
The reason, Bedwyr and all present know, is obvious. There are exactly three ways to earn the Throne of a Knight: Inherit one from a Family Line be it King or other Noble, Squire to a Knight and earn the Spurs, or kill a Knight and take the Throne from them. For a common warrior to kill a Knight is both pride and shame. Pride for the warrior, who arises in station with a single blow of the sword or axe, and shame for the dead Knight, who falls ignobly and bitterly.

Bedwyr watched with bated breath for Pellinore to draw his sword and strike the fool down. But Pellinore only shrugged. "Believe what you will, friend." And then he started to walk away, toward the rest of the warriors, who had been watching the proceedings with bated breath. Pellinore's Druids follow behind him, staves at the ready, and glaring their curses at any who seem to wish harm.
This Dude has All Of The Chill.
"That last battle, where Uther Pendragon met the end of his worthless life, where were you?" Hazon roared. "Where was Pellinore the Undefeated? Where was the Champion of Pendragon? Hiding. Running away." Hazon spat again. "You aren't worth spit. Coward. Weakling. Traitor of all."

"Traitor?" Pellinore asked. His voice was suddenly cold.

"Of the True King, and of your False King. You failed Pendragon. Through your cowardice. You aren't Pellinore the Undefeated. You are Pellinore the Kingslayer." Hazon bayed like a dog, with several of his fellows.
Bedwyr's eyes widened. The insult was intense. Not just to Pellinore personally. But to his honor and his life.
... that's a hella sketchy application of 'kingslayer'. It's like claiming you took the skull of a Bloodthirster when all you did was kill the army around it. Probably why Hazon subsequently got Karma'd.
"Pellinore the No-Land, Pellinore the Failure!" Hazon roared after the Knight. "Pellinore the Cuckold!" Every insult followed after Pellinore, one after the other, flung like careless spears. And Pellinore ignored them all with a rigid back.

What Hazon said next was lost in the roars of his fellows. At least, Bedwyr couldn't quite make it out. It was something about Pellinore's wife. And Pellinore at last turned to stare at Hazon. His eyes were cold.

"What is your weapon, sir?" The Knight asked. His voice was level and calm.
Also, being sexist again. Talk shit about me, don' care. Talk shit about a woman, I will wreck your shit.
Hazon hefted his axe with a roar. A circle was formed around them.

Pellinore didn't draw his sword. He didn't go for his gun. He held up his fists and settled into an easy stance.
... oh yeah. Hazon's going to get humiliated.
The blow didn't come. Pellinore slid to the side, and the axe struck the dirt with all the weight of Hazon behind it. Pellinore struck Hazon a blow right on his throat. The warrior let out a dull grunt of pain, and before he could lift the axe again, Pellinore struck him another blow.

Finally, staggering with confused pain, Hazon ripped the axe from the earth, and went for another blow. This one came from the side, and seemed sluggish. Pellinore calmly leaped backwards, avoiding the stroke.

Hazon sobbed with hate and rage, and flung forward, arresting the axe's momentum and bringing it to bare once again. He aimed stroke after clumsy stroke after the lithe Knight, and Pellinore dodged every one. Hazon was now soaked with sweat, but Pellinore was hardly breathing.

Everyone watched with stunned silence. Bedwyr's grip loosened on the frame, and he found himself hobbling forward, closer to the duel.

Hazon could now barely lift his axe, and his breath was coming out in ragged, pained gasps. With one final croaking shriek, he flung himself forward, trying to bare Pellinore down with sheer dead weight.
And this is why Khorne elevates those who can make effective combatants, not just maddened rage-mongers.
All Pellinore did was calmly step to the side, and Hazon face planted into the earth with a thud. He lay still, his shuddering breath the only sign he yet lived.

Pellinore placed his foot on the warrior's back. "Do you yield, sir?" He asked calmly.

"Kill me!" Hazon growled. "Kill me in the sight of the War God!" There was shame in this defeat. Brought down by two punches and quick feet. The only way for Hazon to preserve his honor now was to be slain.

Pellinore mused for a moment, absently rubbing the hilt of his sword. And then he said, "No. I think not. I will not strike down a helpless man." And with that, the King let his foot off the downed Hazon, and went on his way.

Hazon screamed, his begs to kill him following Pellinore. Utterly unmanned, the warrior's reputation was destroyed forever. The next day he vanished into the woods. He was never seen again.
Well, Bedwyr's dad is a Chaos Spawn now.
But Bedwyr could barely bring himself to care about the bested warrior. He watched as the warriors parted for Pellinore, who calmly walked through them as he had before, his Druids following behind. He looked dignified, and had in fact never lost his poise throughout the barrage of insults and the final duel.

And in that moment, Bedwyr realized that the thing he wanted most in the world was to be a Knight. Like King Pellinore.
Time for a certain kiddo to go on a quest.

What Hazon said next was lost in the roars of his fellows. At least, Bedwyr couldn't quite make it out. It was something about Pellinore's wife.
Oh boy, you gonna get rekt!

So, I am curious— the Druids are Adeptus Mechanicus, correct? Or some sort of local equivalent? Clearly they are not Psykers. And it makes considerably more sense given that the Techpriests are needed to maintain the Knights.

That means Merlin is likely a Techpriest— perhaps the highest ranking Magos of Avalon. Unless he's not just that, but also a half-daemon hellspawn like in the myths.

I can't wait to see more of this world revealed.

So, I am curious— the Druids are Adeptus Mechanicus, correct? Or some sort of local equivalent? Clearly they are not Psykers. And it makes considerably more sense given that the Techpriests are needed to maintain the Knights.

That means Merlin is likely a Techpriest— perhaps the highest ranking Magos of Avalon. Unless he's not just that, but also a half-daemon hellspawn like in the myths.

I can't wait to see more of this world revealed.
The Druids are the local equivalent of the Adeptus Mechanicus, yes.

As for Merlin, well...everyone will see.

If the Druids maintain the Knights, they are Sacristans. Even among Emperor-sworn Knight Houses, they are the Mechanicum's leash upon them. They are silent, they are secretive, and their political power is completely backroom. Within the Mechanicus, they technically rank among the Ruling Priesthood, as they are given the rank of Artificer. They act as a "Corp Of Engineers", designing, making maintaining any new technology, items, or structures. They also run the Mechanicus' general labor pool of Servitors.
Welcome to the fun of being part of the Dark Mechanicus. We don't even have to change too much of the Futanari-and-Waifu obsessed, crossdressing troll from Fate to make it an Alfabusa reference:

Also, being sexist again. Talk shit about me, don' care. Talk shit about a woman, I will wreck your shit.

I think you missed it, but it wasn't just any woman that was being railed, it was the Knight's wife.

The husband is supposed to defend his wife's honor. Especially if she is not there to do it herself.

I am enjoying this a lot and am looking forward to more.

I think you missed it, but it wasn't just any woman that was being railed, it was the Knight's wife.

The husband is supposed to defend his wife's honor. Especially if she is not there to do it herself.
No, I got that, just noting a trend in the fic as a whole. I even picked up that, if I got the implication of escalation right, the bit Beddie didn't hear Hazon say was the standard "Yo wife said muh dik wuz bigga" and other preteen-grade insults about having sex with someone else's wife.

As if Hazon didn't insult the Blood God enough with his pathetic display.

Well I don't know a ton about arthurian myth beyond basic popculture osmosis, but this looks super promising. Definitely watched.

Well I don't know a ton about arthurian myth beyond basic popculture osmosis, but this looks super promising. Definitely watched.
If you're interested I know a couple of mildly entertaining videos that will give you a quick rundown. About 24 and 10 1/2 minutes respectively.

Remember to read the messages at the end of the second to get some notes on other knights too.

Last edited:
Important thing to remember about Arhurian Myths is that there is no Myth, but Myths, hundreds of stories written over centuries, each new one taking pieces of the old ones, changing things and adding new things.

The Call of Chaos
Bedwyr, Corneus, and Lucen returned to their home, Corneus white-faced from the strength displayed by the traitor warrior-knight. Lucen was shaking in fear. He had ever believed in the strength granted by worship of the Blood God. And now that faith was shaken forever by the display of skill given by the landless King.

Bedwyr was hobbling slightly behind, his peg leg making a light thud on the wood floor. His heart was pounding like a drum. It felt like a curtain had lifted from his eye. The practice of battle he had learned all his life, the screaming uncontrolled fury of Khorne had been broken in front of him.

All his life, Bedwyr had been told that no matter how well he did at play-fighting, he would never be a warrior. He'd never be able to heft a two-handed weapon, never be able to move at the same pace as other warriors in the shieldwall, or balance the heavy warguns that were often given to foot soldiers in the more important conflicts.

It was thus that Bedwyr had been informed for quite some time that he would be sent to the Priesthood of Tzeentch once he turned thirteen, a date that was approaching in a matter of a week. As ever when he thought of the God of Change and his twisted Priests, he felt the brand on his leg itch strongly. The brand was, looking at it dead-on, in the shape of a coiled serpent. But depending on where one stood and how they moved their own eyes, it would shift and change. Once a serpent, then a lion, then a goat, a hideous unidentifiable insect, and so on and so forth. The brand had been born of the harshest magic of the Priest. It would mark Bedwyr forever.

The first thing the small family felt as they moved into their home was the raw stench. Of rotting leaves and dank old bogs. Corneus knew it immediately, and cursed at the presence he knew was coming. Bedwyr and Lucen shrank away, and Bedwyr felt a sudden frightened trepidation. He knew instinctively what was coming. The end of his life was coming.

The Priest of Tzeentch was sat at the table, a strange indistinct form hunched on the chair at the head. The monster, as ever, had no true form, just the hunched cloak of shadowed nothing. It had one apparent eye, a glowing red example, and it was fixed on Bedwyr.

"I suppose," the Priest croaked. "I shouldn't be surprised you failed the boy's education. Teaching him to run around and play with sticks and stones. What can one expect from worthless barbarian Khornites?" The thing rose. Bedwyr shrank away, not in fear, but in disgust and mounting horror at the sudden appearance of his apparent destiny.

Corneus glared the creature down. "He is good at it, despite his crippled nature."

"Him being a good warrior is well and good," the Priest sneered. It hobbled close to Bedwyr. "But you haven't beaten knowledge and acceptance of his destiny into him. He shrinks from it like a coward."

Corneus growled, "He knows the promises. He has them burned on his thigh." He shoved Bedwyr forward.

Bedwyr staggered at his father's forceful push, and found himself face to face with the vile sorcerer. The stench slammed into him like a solid wall. The Priest wasn't a mammal anymore, he was a hideous bog-creature, twisted by his home deep in the wasted Chaos Swamps to the south.

The monster reached a hand to force Bedwyr's face to his. Gurgling his foul breath the creature decried. "I will stay for one week. And then I will fetch the boy, and bring him to the swamp. Give me a month, and he will make for a proper avatar of the God of Change."

Bedwyr forced himself backwards. He glared into the Priest's single eye with his own. "I don't want to be an avatar of the God of Change," he snarled with all the force his twelve year old body could muster. "I want to be a Knight."

Corneus moved forward, hand raised to strike Bedwyr. But the Priest beat him, striking Bedwyr such a blow that the boy staggered with the shocking inhuman strength of it. "You are mine!" The Priest shrieked. "Mine! You were given into my keeping as a babe, and now I choose what you are!"

Bedwyr kept his standing, and glared at the raving thing before him. The Priest hopped from one foot to the other, still letting out inhuman shrieks and bog-animal sounds. All three members of the family shrank from the madman's rage.

At last the Priest wore down his rage and shoved his way past Corneus and Lucen. Bedwyr shrank to the side, rubbing his cheek and glaring. The Priest left the building. Hissing, "I will now prepare the rituals. You will come to me at your thirteenth. That is the will." The Priest vanished. His smell lingered.

Corneus said nothing. He walked to the table, picked up the chair the monster had sat in, and brought it outside. To burn it, more than likely. It didn't do to keep something that a Sorcerous Mutant had touched for so long.

Lucen turned to Bedwyr, confused. "Wait, did you mean it?"

Bedwyr nodded, resolve hardening. He knew now that he would fight the Priest. With every fiber of his being. He would not become a monster. He would not become a rotting recluse sulking in a bog swamp.

His brand throbbed.

Last edited:
Back