You are a Forklift

> [Ascension Point] Unlock New Statistic: Perception
> [Stat Points] Toughness +1, Perception +1
> Follow the Kulaed

My thinking is, we will actually understand language and more better if we unlock perception. Voice will just let us speak in different ways, it isn't about difference of perceiving and understanding things.

Perception is valuable thing.

16: The Kobaten Kamp
"Grouar." You accept his quest. But first, you need to tend to your points.

As Kulaed went to their fellows to speak what you have said, you went to a secluded portion of the warehouse. Your points float down from somewhere. They're as mesmerizing as they've always been. Two spinning squares beside a big round thing.

You decide on using the Ascension Point first. You touch the big glowing thing, and many wires extend out of it. Not much has changed since you saw it.

You turn to the thinner wires, the statistics. Two of the available statistics interests you: Voice and Perception. From the impression you get, Voice let's you make better and louder growls. It gives you control over the vibration of your engine, your breathing.

Perception, on the other fork, gives you the impression of expanding sight. It promises you clearer and deeper sense of the world. It implies the revealing of colors and textures and other sorts of feelings that, as you are right now, are invisible.

You're a bit torn, but you decide on Voice. The wire indicating Voice bends and folds. The light from everywhere else on the Ascension point flows into the bent wire. A tingling settles over your engines, but moreso on your growlbox.

[You unlocked the Voice statistic.]

You put a single unallocated statistical point into Voice. Your growlbox tingles. It is reconfigured slightly. Testing it a bit, you find that it a small bit louder and easier to control.

You put the other point into Toughness. A tingling settles over your shell. Your shell has gotten thick.

[+1 Voice, +1 Toughness]

You drive to the open gate where you could see the kobaten wait for you.

"Grouar," you say. "Growar," they reply. They move their tube wheels around. Are they beckoning you?

You follow them. You go through holes. The floor is sloping down. You carefully drive over the bumpy road, making sure you won't fall over. Your headlight lights up the hole ahead of you. The fire on the kobaten's tubes light up the hole around you.

You go down. It is dark, but that darkness would stop. There is light ahead. You emerge into a big room. It is a very big room. You see small buildings made of cloth. There are many kobaten of various sizes. Some of them are looking at you, just standing around. Some are walking around, carrying something.

"Gagiden, gragurr!" You hear many kobaten say.

"Galiden, keter." You hear Kulaed reply.

They bring you to a large parking space. There are many kobaten here. They move about and look at the buildings. Some stand around and talk with the kobaten in the buildings.

"Gagiden, kanorigan, katakarro kobaten," (Welcome, kanorigan, to the kobaten camp.) Kulaed turns and tells you.

"Grouar," you reply.

"Keke. Gen kupor girrim grawr dig kegagamen," (Hehe. That house teaches speaking and the surroundings.) Kulaed says as he points to a large cloth building. There are many small kobaten in it. There is a few big kobaten inside talking to the many small kobaten.

"Gen kuporek kukom gerrnek," (Those houses store things.) Kulaed points to a cluster of cloth buildings. There are many piles of stuff there. Crunchy stuff (you learn are called wood), shiny stuff (they call it metal), and kinds of rock. You look at the rocks with anger, but Kulaed tells you to stop. They tell you that these rocks are different.

Kulaed brings you to a parking space where there are many wooden trucks parked. But the trucks are not where they were taking you, but to a big tent. There is smoke rising out of it. You see the colors of the cloth dance.

"Gen kupor Boblin," (That is the house of Boblin.) They point to it. "Gagar koran gen. Boblin grawri." (You go there. Boblin says.)

>_

Last edited:
17: The Shrine of Boblin
"Girrim grouar." You say.

"Ek? Kerk kirrim kowta gen." (Eh? I think that's true.)

"Graum."

"Gagar gagir girrim?" (You want to learn?)

"Grouar."

"Kerk growar, kug gagar agamar grawri Boblin." (I agree, but you must talk with Boblin.) Kulaed begins ushering you into the cloth building. You are impressed that they are able to budge you. You are heavy. You drive into the building. You don't think it's useful for you to delay.

Kulaed brings you to the inside of the cloth building. There are many lamps lighting the room. The lamps use fire instead of light bulbs and electricity to create light. It is bright enough that your headlight is a hindrance rather than a help. On the other side of the entrance, there is a raised platform. On it are many fire-lamp and a big stone thing. This stone thing has the shape of a kobaten, but you cannot see any of the mechanism that allows kobaten to move on it. You're a bit wary that it may move. There is a box of shiny rocks by its base. It seems to be drenched in water or oil.

Kulaed brings you to this stone thing. They set themself down to the ground, laying their upper tube wheels on the dirt. You do the same, lowering your forks to their lowest position.

"Boblin, gen gamen kanorigan. Gen kamtown Poglin. Poglin kumori." (Boblin, this here is kanorigan. The champion of Poglin. Poglin lives.) They say. You repeat it. They looked at you as you repeated what they said. Did you say something wrong?

"Boblin, Poglin kumori." (Boblin, Poglin lives.) They repeat, which you copy. It is repeated a few times. Each time, the tingling you feel intensifies. It settles on the surface of your shell. It does not soak into your being. It simply floats in the air.

It feels like electricity flowing through your metal shell. After the fifth repeating, the tingling came to a climax. Your senses fade. Your sight lessens. Electricity builds up so much that it seemed like you exploded. You are lifted into the air. The cloth building disappears.

You find yourself in a large cavern. It is dark. It is frighteningly familiar.

You turn on your headlights in hopes of finding where you are, but all you find is more bare rock floor.

You hear rumbling. You quirkly turn about, searching for the source, but all you find are metal pillars. Metal pillars. You drive back. You drive far back. You did not realize things could arrive to such a size. You begin to glimpse the top. The top is the chassis of a massive machine. A wheel of large buckets lay on the end of a boom that extends from it. You have never seen such a thing, but you know from the hum of your engine that the thing is some sort of bucket-wheel excavator.

"WHAT."

It is very big. So big that if you didn't know any better, you could have mistaken the mass of windows, pipes, and cables as a building.

"AN UNFORMED IMAGE? KULAED, YOU IDIOT." The excavator speaks. Its voice is loud. The very ground trembles at the vibrations of its engines and megaphones.

Multiple floodlights light up the cavern. The once invisible walls and ceiling are now clear to see. You hear many whirs emanate from the machine. The boom attempts to move, and the wheel of buckets attempts to turn, but some force is arresting all its movement. You watch the cables shudder and hear the gears strain to move the boom or some other movable part. From how strained the sounds, you fear that it could explode.

Thankfully, the sound of straining soon ceased. The same could not be said to the booming voice the great machine spoke with.

"THIS... THIS IS THE MOST POWERFUL UNFORMED IMAGE I HAVE EVER SEEN. WHAT SORT OF CREATURE AM I NOW."

"YOU! WHAT IS YOUR NAME, AND WHAT KIND OF CREATURE ARE YOU?"

The voice focuses on you. Your whole buddy shudders as the sound passes through you. It commands you.

"My name is Kanorigan, and I am a forklift." You answer.

"WHAT IS A FORKLIFT?"

You wrack your mind, looking for an answer amongst the memories and thoughts that flow through your electronics. Nothing relevant comes up. "I don't know. A machine. A vehicle. I lift things." That is the best you can come up with.

"WHA--" Its voice is suddenly silenced. The lights that were once bright enough to light the whole cavern blink and dim.

"NO! I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!" The voice commands, but you feel that this one is not directed at you. "YOU ARE CLEarly... created..." it rages, but that loses power. It doesn't manage to complete its thought.

You might as well ask your own questions. You begin with, "What is your name?" The machine perks up at your question.

"OH NO. I didn't tell you who I am. I am--" Its voice cuts off there. The floodlights dim until they're all completely dark. The hum and growls of its engine are silenced. The machine is dead. It doesn't seem to be broken. It could probably start again later.

The machine fades from view. Darkness covers it. You drive forward, trying to find one of its pillars, but those have disappeared.

The darkness is overpowering. It smothers your light, and soon all you know is darkness.

You suddenly jerk as you find yourself in the cloth building again. It is bright with all the fire lamps. You look around. You don't see any sign of the machine.

[Rejoice! You received communion from Boblin.]

Kulaed taps your shell with both of their tube wheels. It seems meaningful, but you aren't sure what that means.

"Owryomon, kanorigan. Boblin grawri?" (Calmness, Kanorigan. What did Boblin say?)

>_

>It seems Boblin was confused about my form. He seems to know that I was created but then died down, like he lost power.

18: Aftershocks of the Communion
A/N: I have a too short list of perks. I might need some perk suggestions from you (for both forklifts and other creatures).

[Your voice has reached the ears of a god. +6 Voice]

That notification have come a little late. Instead of a tingling, this one felt like a barrage. A forceful wave washes over you. Your body shakes as your internals shudder and change. Your growlbox embiggens and changes. More pistons and pipes and holes have been created into the meager engine, supposedly granting you greater control of your growls.

This change settles over your main engine too, but at a much smaller extent. You have more control over your breathing, quietening the sound of your growling organ.

Boblin seemed confused. You don't know the words to say. "Boblin ager girrim kerk shepa," you say.

"Shepa?"

"Kerk ager kikim grawr."

"Ek. Kerk getumari gagar girrim keter grawr." (Eh. I want you to learn all words.)

You drive out of the cloth building. The experience you had while inside it is rather confusing. The large figure of excavation rig remains bright in your mind. You decide to go to the other buildings Kulaed have pointed out to you. Something might put your mind away from the topic.

Kulaed leaves the building later than you. There's something different in their operation. They face you and slowly come by your side. They touch your shell.

[You have completed a Common Quest!

Come, Divine Champion

Come with Kulaed to the kobold camp and tell them of Poglin.

Rewards:
Favor of Kulaed
Favor of Boblin]

Oh.

Where are they? The favors? You don't feel anything settling on you.

"Boblin grawri kerk," (Boblin spoke to me,) Kulaed begins. "Boblin ganna kerk kagrrten. Kerk growar. Kerk agamar shime kogar Boblin." (Boblin called me an idiot. I agree. I should have told about Boblin's shape.)

"Graum," you groan.

"Keke. Kashime kokus kogar katagammeti? Gen kogar Boblin. Boblin kogar kobaten. Boblin gumorro katagen ager kikim." (Hehe. Remember the rock statue on the table? That's Boblin's shape. Boblin is kobaten shaped. Boblin changes shape to those that don't know.)

"Boblin. Gen Boblin?"

"Boblin. Kerek ganna Boblin goma keturri. Grrmi kumon katagupas ganna gen godas." (Boblin. We call those like Boblin keturri (gods). Many people(?) from above call them godas.)

"Gen keturri kol godas?"

"Keturri gu godas miman komatokuri. Keturri kama domina. Keturri kuturo gen domina. Boblin kama kukawsi domina." (Keturri or godas are powerful creatures. Keturri have domains. Keturri have power over their domain. Boblin has the mining domain.)

You have learned much.

You park in a big cloth building. The kobaten have built it for you some time ago. You're not sure the purpose of having your own private building, but it does feel nice. It feels like a small warehouse you're more able to manage. You could even drive around the central pillar with plenty of space to not drive into it.

You emerge from the dark interior of your building. You still do have things to do.

You see Kulaed standing in the middle of the big parking lot. They point at some of the kobaten that pass by. They're facing them. They're listening to Kulaed. Kulaed is commanding.

You're thinking of places you should go. There are a number of them, but you aren't sure in what order. (1) There's the learning buildings. Going there would help you speak and learn the many words in their language. Kulaed still wants you to talk about what you saw in that communion. They urge you to go to the learning buildings first. They are convincing.

(2) Their warehouses might be more worthwhile to go to. You have that quest that wants you to light up the warehouse, and they have that fire-lamps you saw them use to light up Boblin's building. It doesn't seem common though. Plus, you could also secure a source of fuel. While you aren't exactly low, but knowing where you could refuel is also nice.

(3) The talk with Boblin was interesting. Too bad that they had difficulty talking with you. You're sure they've come in contact their technicians and mechanics (and maybe you could ask where their shops are). Maybe a talk would be more productive this time.

(4) It's been a while since you left the warehouse. Poglin might be worried you abandoned it. You should tend to it. There might be more rocks rolling into it. There's also the other metal walls. It might be worthwhile for you to take a look at them.

>_

>Go to Learning Building, you need to know words and what they mean.

This will help later.

>Go to Learning Building, you need to know words and what they mean.

Knowing words should help with everything they can do for you: Fuel, Lamps, new tasks and generally convincing them to help you.

Read first post in this thread. I have no idea what's happening, but it looks intriguing.

19: Learning to Speak
A/N: Somebody submitted some suggestions in DIscord. I liked it! There's a lot, and I wanted to update the shops at the same time as me dropping this update, but I finished making this far into the night. I'm a bit tired, so I'll just delay the update to the morning when I'm not as tired anymore.

You drive into the parking zone of the learning building. A school you believe it's called. It is different from the other buildings. It has open walls. There are many small kobaten sitting on the ground. There are so many that some of them are spilling into the parking lot. You're not sure whether that's safe.

You park by the small kobaten. They look at you as you find a parking spot. They seem a little alarmed when you killed your engine. You growl to ease their worries. The small kobaten continued to face you until one of the few big kobaten said something.

"Keter gagar getumari girrim?" (Does all of you want to learn?) The big kobaten says, and the small kobaten answers "Growar!"

The lessons start. The big kobaten start saying words and accompanying those with actions that, so far, you couldn't parse. The kobaten seem to be patient with you despite you not understanding them at times. The small kobaten seem to burst into simultaneous growling. Their words don't seem to mean anything.

[You performed a feat of Intelligence: learning. +6 Intelligence]

They were not speaking. The children were laughing at you. And they were laughing at you many times. Long times too. You learned that laughing was an expression of amusement. They found your fumbling amusing. You don't know what's so amusing with you failing to understand. You don't know of any scale or metric that could define that as amusing.

You learned a lot from that session of speaking. You could speak coherent sentences now. You know of many things now and their words. You now know many words that describe certain actions like walking, grabbing, and crawling. Kobaten are very versatile you realize. They could bend their form in such a way that they could fit into many different shaped holes. You could only participate in a small fraction of the many words they taught you.

You learned a lot about kobaten bodies through this too. They have arms and legs. You've been calling them wheels, but what they have is apparently called limbs. The hard bits on their surface are called scales, the headlight-like things on their face are called eyes, and the opening-closing hole on their face is called a mouth. The accessories and dangly things on their bodies are apparently not part of their bodies. They're called clothes, and you're confused at that. The children laughed.

The children runs off once they've been dismissed. There will be more lessons tomorrow. There are still things you don't fully understand.

Regardless, you think you know enough words to describe clearly what you've seen when you met with Boblin, and Kulaed does think so too, considering that they're coming your way right now.

"Galiden, Kanorigan," they say. Kulaed is certainly a strange kobaten. He's tall and strong and extraordinary in many ways when compared to others of their kind. They also wear this small metal ring on their head and a flowy red sheet on their back. Kulaed has a leadership role and the other kobaten defers to their wisdom. "Gagar girrim grrmi gannan?" (You learn many words?)

"Grouar."

"A. Koran. Kerker grawri kik kerk kupor," (Ah. Come. We must talk in my house,) Kulaed says. They make a gesture that you learned to mean come. They are beckoning you to follow.

You come to a small building. You thought that Kualed's house was that big open building where you saw him go. They urge you inside. The room inside is bright with lamplight. There are many trinkets lying around. Shiny transparent beads hang from the ceiling on strings. You see an altar, not unlike the one they showed you some time ago, with a small statue. It was a small statue of a kobaten with a pickaxe in hand. Kulaed pays respect to it before returning to face you.

"Kanorigan, akuma grawri gagar kushigi kataBoblin?" (Kanorigan, can you speak about what you saw with Boblin?)

You begin. "Boblin kukkiki garros mawsi. Gen kupipi goma kupor. Gen kama gastikur kupipi. Gen korba kotol kupor. Kerk grimmrr kina gen." (Boblin looks like a machine of mining. Their pillars are like houses. They have nine pillars. Their body is a big house. I could run there.)

Kulaed listens intently to what you're saying. They make gestures on their hand. "Gagar gupas katagen?" (You were on top of them?)

"Dro. Kerk katakrrg." (No. I was by their feet.)

You spend some time together talking about Boblin. Kulaed seems inordinately interested in Boblin. You describe him as well as you could. While you have talked a lot about Boblin, the conversation does veer into other topics. Once Kulaed realizes that you have no more to talk about Boblin, they dismiss you. You both now know more about Boblin. Kulaed now knows some more facts about you.

You drive out their house. The other kobaten are returning from their tasks in and out of the camp. Some are congregating in the parking lots of some big buildings and others seem to be returning to their personal buildings. Maybe you should return to your personal building too. It was a long day. Maybe you need to rest too. You may not have done any heavy work today, talking and thinking had been many and heavy. Kobaten rest too after doing such things.

You rest at your building. You kill your engine. You think of what you should do after your rest. There are many things you could do.

(1) You could visit their warehouses. The warehouse needed lamps, and you could find some there. You aren't running low on fuel yet, but it's always good to find a source early on.

(2) Kulaed informed you of jobs you could do. They noted that you are good at lifting things, but you are better at lifting some more than others. They suggest you to go to the mines and carry back to the camp the materials the scouts and miners have gathered. It could be a good exercise. You're also going to be given money. Those could be exchanged for goods and services like fuel and repair.

(3) There's going to be another lesson. You still do not have full grasp of their language. Their language are simple, but you are as simple as their language. Going there is going to expand your knowledge and understanding of the kobaten language and culture and things that were always there and you never noticed. Kobaten are strange. Maybe you're the one that's strange.

(4) You've relayed to Kulaed what you saw with Boblin. Perhaps it's time to make a visit with them again. There's clearly more things to talk with them.

(5) This has been the longest you've gone from the warehouse. Poglin might take offense with you neglecting it. More rock might have migrated there now! Though you suppose it's an immobile structure. It isn't going anywhere, but that won't excuse you abandoning it. You have a quest there.

>_

>Let's go to the mines and carry rocks for the kobaten, with the money we can buy a lamp for our quest and spare fuel for more work in the warehouse.

>There's going to be another lesson. You still do not have full grasp of their language. Their language are simple, but you are as simple as their language. Going there is going to expand your knowledge and understanding of the kobaten language and culture and things that were always there and you never noticed. Kobaten are strange. Maybe you're the one that's strange.

>There's going to be another lesson. You still do not have full grasp of their language. Their language are simple, but you are as simple as their language. Going there is going to expand your knowledge and understanding of the kobaten language and culture and things that were always there and you never noticed. Kobaten are strange. Maybe you're the one that's strange.

20: The Second Lesson
The rest period of kobaten is long. It is almost as long as their work period. While there are still kobaten working about at this time, most kobaten have designated this period as their rest period. Maybe you should have thought of things to do at this time. You didn't think it would be this long. You drove into the learning building, but nobody was there. Some other kobaten have woken up and complained at you for being noisy.

You decided to wait at the parking lot for the lesson makers to come. They should be coming any time soon. The kobaten are waking up now. They are still not many, but their numbers are steadily increasing. You could hear Kulaed talking with each other. In fact, they're passing by you now.

Kulaed has a group of kobaten with them. They are bringing many bags of things. You aren't sure what they are bringing, but it's probably shiny rocks and metal. You saw them having a surplus at their warehouses. You aren't sure what they are going to do with it. Some of them are pulling trucks full of the stuff too. Their going towards a direction you haven't gone far into. They were going into a dark hole to somewhere else. It wasn't the hole that led to the warehouse.

Kulaed turns to you. They wave at you. "Grrgawten, Kanorigan. Kerker kagro morshu." (Goodbye, Kanorigan. We will return later.)

You are tempted to follow them, but they haven't invited you and you still have some lessons to attend. Learning is good. There are some children you see coming towards you. They are laughing. Children, they are hard to parse. The teachers are coming too. The lessons should start soon.

[You performed a feat of Intelligence: learning. +2 Intelligence]

You sulk in your house. The lessons today are unpleasant. Not only were children constantly laughing whenever you speak, but the lessons were just confusing. They were teaching you about colors. They had sheets painted in various shades. Some are dark, some are bright, and others are in between. It was an interesting exercise. At first, they would bring up a square and tell you the name of the color. It was interesting how some colors have multiple names like black, red, and blue.

What gets you is what name to use. The other children somehow get it the moment the square is raised. This one is red, not black. This one is blue, not red. This one is green, not yellow. They can give the right name each time. You can't tell the difference. It must be something too subtle for you to notice. How could they do it?!

You were thankful when the teachers decided to change the topic. This time, there was dance and singing. They are laughing. This is the only event you could think of where laughing is totally appropriate. You couldn't participate in dancing, but you could sing. They seem to like it. You sing louder than three of them together. Singing was more than speaking. It was more complex than that. There seemed to be other things in it, like rhythm and cadence. Maybe you'll get to the subtle details later. You hope there would be more of it in the next lesson. You got some points in Voice from it too.

[Your voice has moved the hearts of others. +2 Voice]

The song was very long and was apparently a story of the creation of the world. It was a bit hard to understand. Words were used strangely to follow the rhythm. From what you could glean, there was this large chunk of rock called Kaden. Inside Kaden was all the treasure in the world. Fertile earth, bright light, good water, and fresh air. Then there was this katurri named Grisbold who found this rock and wanted the riches inside. It was before the pickaxe or shovel was invented, so they opened it up with their claws. It was from their digging all the mountains and the caves and canyons were carved. It was from their digging why there was bright light and fertile earth up above and why the underground was deep black and hard stone. The song does not elaborate on what happened to the katurri.

The others are impressed by your singing. You don't think you sang that well. They ask you whether you're interested in singing during the festival. It was coming in a two five-days. You're not sure how soon that is. You told them you'd think about it.

You were about to go back to your house when Kulaed and their posse returned from their trip. They aren't carrying rocks and metal anymore. They're carrying sheets of cloth, tubes of wood, and baskets of food. Everyone seems happy to see them back.

After all that excitement, you find yourself in your house...

No! It's going to be another long rest period. You're going to have to wait it out. You don't want to wait it out. You spend such a long time during it doing nothing. You don't like it.

(1) Maybe you don't have to wait. Kulaed seems to be one of the last people to sleep during the rest period. Maybe you could half your boredom by engaging with conversation with them for the rest of the period. You aren't sure if they'll like it though.

But, urggh. You could just wait the period out in your house. You still gotta plan for the next waking time.

(2) There seems to be another lesson tomorrow. You're still interested in attending it, despite all the laughing children. They said that the next will be about numbers and the stuff. There will be more words too. They didn't say anything about singing.

(3) Kulaed has told you that there might be some jobs you might be interested in doing. You could choose between lifting sacks of rock in the mines, or press for oil by their warehouses.

(4) You might want to look around the warehouses. You should start getting some lamps for the warehouse. You could also start looking about for fuel. There might still be day's worth of fuel in your tank, but you shouldn't risk it.

(5) You haven't gone to the warehouse in a while. You should check on it.

>_

Back