You are a cloud of dust (Riot? Quest)

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by 6 ZeV Proton on Feb 25, 2024 at 4:45 PM, finished with 12 posts and 10 votes.
6 ZeV Proton threw 1 6-faced dice. Reason: ...by any means necessary! Total: 3
3 3
6 ZeV Proton threw 1 6-faced dice. Reason: Next inner planetesimal mass? Total: 6
6 6
6 ZeV Proton threw 1 6-faced dice. Reason: Next outer planetesimal mass? Total: 2
2 2

Turn 6: You are a salty sphere of spicy molten rock and metal with a disk of dust and gas and a satellite
Orbital:
[X] Attempt to capture the visiting planetesimal... -[X] ....by any means necessary!: 62.5%
[X] Attempt to capture the visiting planetesimal... -[X] ...carefully: 25.0%
[X] Move to a higher orbit: 12.5%
Concordance: 69.2%

Development:
[X] Collect more gas: 66.7%
[X] Look around in more detail (More planetesimals or clumping stuff): 33.3%
Concordance: 37.0%

You make a few adjustments to your orbit to guarantee an encounter with the visiting planetesimal no matter what and vacuum up gas while waiting. You also look around for dense clumps of stuff. Down below, you spot a couple fairly dense, massive planetesimals with varied amounts of obvious gas. Unfortunately, the nearest one is comparable in size to you and will most likely frustrate all but the shortest trips across its orbit. Above, you spot a small planetesimal not entirely unlike the one you're trying to capture (except for its stable, nearly circular orbit) and large but distant balls of gas.

After several passes and some influence from other bodies, the visiting planetesimal crashes into your core, throwing up great gobs of molten rock! The bulk of its material, which contained a decent amount of water ice, joins your growing, glowing core, but a tiny fragment skips out and eventually enters something like a stable orbit around you. You have acquired a satellite! At this point, you can choose between finally absorbing all the material flying around, relocating to a different orbit for more materials, or looking around some more.

[ ] Move to a higher orbit
[ ] Move to a lower orbit
[ ] Collect more gas
[ ] Collect more dust
[ ] Collapse
[ ] Look around in more detail (Specify target(s))

[X] Collect more dust

We got a big amount of ice!

Life can now come! It seems we're pretty massive already thanks to that comparison with others, altough more dust never hurts

Last edited:
Space vacuum cleaner!

[X] Collect more dust

I think this quest is more of a battle between the glorious dusters who seek to create a great planet who may have life and the filthy collapsers who seek to rob us of our great work(after we just obtained a moon! We've also eaten so much dust alreadyi can't afford to lose it all) and eat our neighbors( I am biased)

Last edited:
As big as possible would be funny, but not so big we can't stay without problems in lower orbit, we do need to find a habitable zone so water can stay liquid

There are others planets being born so eventuality the dusters will lose to the collapsers when everyone is properly formed, that'll be sad

Last edited:
Low gravity means our organism can grow bigger, plus escape velocity is less so it's more plausible for them to reach space without technology.
Edit:*organisms

Last edited:
[X] Move to a higher orbit

Moon got! Via... fairly conventional moon-getting methods. Let's move up a ways to cool off some.

[X] Move to a higher orbit

Away from icky dust.

I think this quest is more of a battle between the glorious dusters who seek to create a great planet who may have life and the filthy collapsers who seek to rob us of our great work(after we just obtained a moon! We've also eaten so much dust alreadyi can't afford to lose it all) and eat our neighbors( I am biased)

"Glorious dusters" more like dust heads :V
At least one collapser is a self admitted void star (black hole) proponent. Eventually I'll be going for collapse in an effort to ignite the gas in a fiery ball of awesomeness.

Last edited:
Well, how big of a planet do you want to be?

I have no problem of trying to go all the way to turning into a gas giant with having a bunch of earth sized moons.
But real goal is earth size or maybe a super earth.

Low gravity means our organism can grow bigger, plus escape velocity is less so it's more plausible for them to reach space without technology.
Edit:*organisms
Problem is with low gravity is that we have problems holding onto our atmo and in general have a thinner atmo which means more radiation problems, at least to my understanding.

Following that it means live on the sources kind of gets super fucked by cancer and just might not have the atmo for larger liveforms.

Back