Yes Is The Answer, But What Is The Question?

Where The Upside Down Angels Sing

How about we play with acronyms instead?

Noospheric Bridge - SUMERU

(Basically, something connecting the material universe with a digital world)

Nova Roma, the capital of the Nova Roma Imperium, built upon the ashes of the city of Rome after it was utterly obliterated in the third world war some 1000 years ago

Updated.

For location, a Dutch merchantman sailing across the Atlantic Ocean, to keep things within the era.

Only one repeating vote for Dutch Merchant ship. This is the last day to vote.

I am, of course, going to vote for SUMERU, though I have no particularly strong opinions on where we should start.

Merchantman Ship it is. Alright everyone.

In the year of our Lord 1721. . .
One day, Sir Kristian Rochefort was sailing on a sea vessel, ready to discover something of a New World. Maybe not "The" New World, that many had their minds on these days, so much as "The New World". What do I mean? Well, you'll see.

@Muhkat Lomorki
One day, the Captain of the ship seemingly vanishes without a trace. To further compound matters, you seem to have some stowaways, them all being quite a motley crew that don't seem to belong here. To further compound matters, there seems to be land right in front of the Merchantman vessel, and the rest of the crew and passengers have vanished right along with the Captain. Something is obviously not right!!!
@Ryumancer
@SkylerTheWise
@Donald Darf
@Witherbrine26

Last edited:
Sir Kristian Rochefort was a rational man, a student of the Natural Science and of Locke. He had, since college, left behind the superstitions of the past behind. However, in this moment, he was put in doubt of everything, as what he stared at defied rational belief.

His eyes were wide as he struggled to find language, wondering if he was experiencing some sort of delusion or, perchance, a dream. His hands trembled as he tried to grip hold of his rapier's hilt, shifting between the strange figures. His lips mouthed out words, but he could not utter a thing.

He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath. Maybe, just maybe….

He opens his eyes again.

Of course not.

Taking another deep breath as he worked up the courage.

"Who, exactly, are you? Some sort of demon or witch? Or are you just a gang of pirates wearing elaborate costumes?"

Jeffrey Smitts is unlike Rochefort, and was not a particularly rational man, so when he found himself suddenly on the boat of a ship he started to panic a little bit
One could see the Parliament Of Pain seeping through the gaps in between THIS and THAT as Jeffrey tried and failed to calm down from his sudden removal from his average life
Well, as average as a man could get with the ability to make reality have a mental breakdown alongside you
For a moment his attention was taken by the sight of the open sea and blue sky, getting uncurled and standing up to see over the railing
It looked goddamn beautiful at this time of day
"Woah" He didn't have much else to say at the sight, then he remembered that this isn't his house or his job and got visibly worried again

"Who, exactly, are you? Some sort of demon or witch? Or are you just a gang of pirates wearing elaborate costumes?"
The accountant backed up to the starboard side of the ship, seeing the man with a real rapier and getting more worried
"I'maninnocentbystandernotapiratedemonwitchpleasedon'thurtmetakemywalletifyouwantjustsparemylif-"
A mandible belonging to a parliament member slapped Jeffrey across the face before the entities jumped off the side of the ship to eat the pancreas fish spawned from the Smitt's worry

"I'm innocent! Please don't stab me, I'm confused too" He smacked away a couple tiny cuckoo clocks that had spiderlegs and knew how to make martinis, the effects of his reality warping were getting more minor since he was more reasonable now
Then the man curled up to look as small and unthreatening as possible before rolling away like a ball, down onto the lower decks

Last edited:
"Just a mercenary, though I was on shore leave so I have no idea how I... Or rather, we, I suppose, ended up here. Or even where 'here' is, for that matter. Though if you want an actual name... well, it's typically polite to introduce yourself first, no?"

Ellen side eyes the babbling man as she responds to the question. Someone with so little control over their powers was going to be a headache, that's for certain... Hopefully she wouldn't have to put up with them for long.

Archea had been in her tower doing delicate research on the Arcane when she was teleported onto the merchantman vessel, which took her by surprise due to all the magical wards she had placed on her tower to make sure something like this could not and would not happen. Never the less her life prior to this moment was spent living in a world gone mad with malfunctioning machines left over from before the mushroom war hell bent on killing all life and armies of mutant humans who have lost their minds and gained incredible abilities which they use to satisfy their urge to devour human flesh, so it was safe to say she was used to the abnormal and weird and adapted to the situation very quickly.

She very quickly got to work, ignoring the other people for the moment, using various incantations and muttering out spells to try and determine where she was and what spell, technology or ability was used to send her here, and more importantly how to get back to her tower.

Kristian Rochefort looked around-first at the accountant, from who was spawning strange creatures, the strange woman mercenary, and then the other odd woman muttering spells. He was…uncertain as to whether or not he was still sane, but he knew that if he provoked any of them more than he already had, so he moved his hand away from the hilt of his rapier as he looked to the person there who seemed to be most normal, relatively speaking.

"Ah, my apologies-I am Sir Kristian Rochefort, gentleman explorer. I admit that I am new to this job, but I quite imagine this is strange even by what others have encountered. I…suppose that I should apologize for saying such superstitious things as well-normally I try to think of things reasonably but, well…" nods his head to both Jeffery and Archea.

Coming to dock on the strange, large region of land in front of the Dutch merchant vessel, there are men and women waiting for the protagonists at the docks. Eventually, a group of individuals, all dressed in World War II naval uniforms boarded the ship. A single man dressed as a higher ranked officer, bearing a sword was included in the retinue of welcomers.
"Welcome to Teot! We have been waiting for you." This officer had grey eyes, his face was clean shaven and he was a tanned, six foot one inch tall man, sleek, but muscular and looked as if he could have held his own with a bear. "I am Officer Slade, you're our guests."

Jeffrey had came back up from the lower decks, having realized this was some kind of merchant ship he scavenged for supplies in the crates and such, and came back with a couple harpoons, salted meat and spices to make them taste better, and a couple flasks of water

"Ah, my apologies-I am Sir Kristian Rochefort, gentleman explorer. I admit that I am new to this job, but I quite imagine this is strange even by what others have encountered. I…suppose that I should apologize for saying such superstitious things as well-normally I try to think of things reasonably but, well…" nods his head to both Jeffery and Archea.

"D-don't worry too much about it, I'm just happy about the fact you probably won't use that sword on me"
Then the ship arrived at land, the sudden stop making Jeffrey fall over

Coming to dock on the strange, large region of land in front of the Dutch merchant vessel, there are men and women waiting for the protagonists at the docks. Eventually, a group of individuals, all dressed in World War II naval uniforms boarded the ship. A single man dressed as a higher ranked officer, bearing a sword was included in the retinue of welcomers.
"Welcome to Teot! We have been waiting for you." This officer had grey eyes, his face was clean shaven and he was a tanned, six foot one inch tall man, sleek, but muscular and looked as if he could have held his own with a bear. "I am Officer Slade, you're our guests."

Jeffrey got up and nervously dusted himself off, throwing away a harpoon so as to not seem threatening with a couple sharp tools on hand, he accidentally hit a bunch of pancreas fish and they ended up washing onto the shore and scaring a couple people that were near that specific beach, not because of the organs with fins but the non-euclidean creatures wearing bedazzled bdsm gear coming up to rip those little innard-guppies apart for sustenance
"Tha-that was not on purpose.. Uuhhh, hi I'm Jeffrey"

Last edited:
Kristian cautiously bowed his head to the officer, deciding to not question things for the moment. At the very least, they seemed to be in uniform, so they were probably members of a navy. "Thank you. My name is Sir Kristian Rochefort, from the University of Amsterdam. I was on my way to the South American continent when, well, this happened. May I presume you are able to provide some sort of rational explanation?"

"Reasonable. Even I've not encountered this... nonsense outside of some of the more corrupted depths of SUMERU. I am Ellen, no surname, of the mercenary group Chronicle."

(OoC: bleh, late response, oh well. Naturally, the above occurs as part of the previous conversation, completely separate from below.)
Kristian cautiously bowed his head to the officer, deciding to not question things for the moment. At the very least, they seemed to be in uniform, so they were probably members of a navy. "Thank you. My name is Sir Kristian Rochefort, from the University of Amsterdam. I was on my way to the South American continent when, well, this happened. May I presume you are able to provide some sort of rational explanation?"
Ellen scoffs as she responds to Slade, tension in the air coalescing in a manner more physical than merely metaphorical. "Guests might be the polite way to put it, but being forcibly relocated in an instant speaks for far less benign intentions, as I'm sure you're well aware. If you've an explanation to offer, as Rochefort presumes, I would advise giving it now else we've little reason to cooperate."

"Reasonable. Even I've not encountered this... nonsense outside of some of the more corrupted depths of SUMERU. I am Ellen, no surname, of the mercenary group Chronicle."

(OoC: bleh, late response, oh well. Naturally, the above occurs as part of the previous conversation, completely separate from below.)

Ellen scoffs as she responds to Slade, tension in the air coalescing in a manner more physical than merely metaphorical. "Guests might be the polite way to put it, but being forcibly relocated in an instant speaks for far less benign intentions, as I'm sure you're well aware. If you've an explanation to offer, as Rochefort presumes, I would advise giving it now else we've little reason to cooperate."

Admiral Slade sighed but patiently gave Ellen the response he hoped that would at least satiate her.
"Well, I was going to tell you off the docks, but I can tell you are a no nonsense ma'am. The truth is we don't know everything about this but we've been through the ropes. We're not your jail wardens, but we do have a job to fill you in on the very mixed news. The good news is, you're among friends, the bad news is, for now, you can't go home."
"You've been consigned to the land of Teot, to reiterate, for now. Just as many of us were."
"See, The Caretaker, who is in charge here, says that you are all targets of "The Enemy" the Enemy in question being creatures that can devour you, soul and all, obliterating you from existence. By ferrying you here on your merchant vessel, plucking you all from different time lines, by the way, he can hide you, ecspecially in the land of Teot."

"You are in another time, a weird chronologically vague "time" if you can even call it that, where the laws of physics and reality are different from the rest of the universe."
"In effect, you are being hidden, and rescued from a fate far worse than death, though including death."

Admiral Slade sighed but patiently gave Ellen the response he hoped that would at least satiate her.
"Well, I was going to tell you off the docks, but I can tell you are a no nonsense ma'am. The truth is we don't know everything about this but we've been through the ropes. We're not your jail wardens, but we do have a job to fill you in on the very mixed news. The good news is, you're among friends, the bad news is, for now, you can't go home."
"You've been consigned to the land of Teot, to reiterate, for now. Just as many of us were."
"See, The Caretaker, who is in charge here, says that you are all targets of "The Enemy" the Enemy in question being creatures that can devour you, soul and all, obliterating you from existence. By ferrying you here on your merchant vessel, plucking you all from different time lines, by the way, he can hide you, ecspecially in the land of Teot."

"You are in another time, a weird chronologically vague "time" if you can even call it that, where the laws of physics and reality are different from the rest of the universe."
"In effect, you are being hidden, and rescued from a fate far worse than death, though including death."

"So what you're saying is that something wants to eat my soul, I'm in a place outside regular time and space, and I have no way to get home and even if I did then I would probably get killed?"
Jeffrey was trying his best to breathe
"OH GOD, I'M GONNA BE LATE TO WORK!"
Outburst aside, he went to a corner and rocked back and forth with the rhythm of the waves, leaving a small trail of tiny forests with even tinier elves inside said forests, the tiny folk sung of stardust cookies and gaseous capitalism

Ellen's eyes narrow. The tension in the air does not abate, though neither does it increase further.
"Most of your explanation is effectively unverifiable for the time being, so being 'among friends' is still... A questionable assertion. You've given us nothing but your own words as indication that we can afford to actually trust you, after all, and words are quite tenuous in that regard."

Ellen's eyes narrow. The tension in the air does not abate, though neither does it increase further.
"Most of your explanation is effectively unverifiable for the time being, so being 'among friends' is still... A questionable assertion. You've given us nothing but your own words as indication that we can afford to actually trust you, after all, and words are quite tenuous in that regard."

"Well, it IS a questionable assertion, of course, but we can't stop you doing whatever you want to do. If you want you are free to roam, but I recommend speaking with The Caretaker, who is in the center of the city, at The Palace. He can confirm everything."
"With that, I bid you welcome to Teot. Be sure to enjoy our fine hospitality."

Rochefort raises an eyebrow at the way the admiral says "The Enemy", "The Caretaker" and "The Palace." From the weight put on to those words, he could tell there was an importance to them. He did not exactly know why, but he felt they held something…sacred to the man.

As the Admiral finished, he then glanced at Ellen. "May I ask why you, a woman, are a mercenary? I understand that, going by your dress, you are from elsewhere, but I still am hesitant to say that I am comfortable with that."

Jeffrey stepped into the docks and then back on the ship, onto the docks onto the ship, onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship onto the docks onto the ship
He was having a hard time choosing whether to stay on the ship or ask that caretaker why he was here
As the Admiral finished, he then glanced at Ellen. "May I ask why you, a woman, are a mercenary? I understand that, going by your dress, you are from elsewhere, but I still am hesitant to say that I am comfortable with that."
"Shush it with the sexism, I'm trying to concentrate here. stay on the ship or not, stay on the ship or not-"
Jeffrey stopped speaking and continued jumping on and off the ship rapidly in indecision

The tension at last fades as Ellen turns to answer the latest question levied at her.
"If we are to take this Slade's word at face value, not merely elsewhere but elsewhen as well. I would presume you are from a time and place prior to genetic optimization, physical augmentation procedures, and Noospheric Interference Phenomena becoming commonplace? Quite possibly from before humanity even began exploring the stars, from the looks of this ship... And that alone was many millions of years before I was even born, far enough in the past that humanity no longer even has accurate records of that era..."

"If we are to take this Slade's word at face value, not merely elsewhere but elsewhen as well. I would presume you are from a time and place prior to genetic optimization, physical augmentation procedures, and Noospheric Interference Phenomena becoming commonplace? Quite possibly from before humanity even began exploring the stars, from the looks of this ship... And that alone was many millions of years before I was even born, far enough in the past that humanity no longer even has accurate records of that era..."
Jeffrey stopped, stunned
"W-we really have all that in the future? Like something out of a science fiction novel? Woah............ it's at least nice to know we get further than the moon"

Last edited:
The tension at last fades as Ellen turns to answer the latest question levied at her.
Rochefort looked up to the sky as he heard her speak of exploring the stars, before looking back to her. "…I suppose, accepting that then, I shall merely ask if you believe God exists and, if you deny such an evident truth, why?"

Rochefort looked up to the sky as he heard her speak of exploring the stars, before looking back to her. "…I suppose, accepting that then, I shall merely ask if you believe God exists and, if you deny such an evident truth, why?"
"If you're referring to any specific god, it's worth keeping in mind that cultural shifts over countless millions of years are going to be massive. It's extremely unlikely that your religion even still exists, where I'm from. With that said... While in prior eras there was no method of decisively proving or disproving the existence of gods, there's too much evidence of tampering in the information layers of reality, now that we're capable of observing and enacting Interference Phenomena ourselves for there to not be some form of higher entity capable of fucking with the Noosphere in ways we've not yet managed ourselves."
Ellen simply shrugs.
"Could such existences be called gods? Sure. Is there one omnipotent one, as some religions suggest, or multiple lesser deities administrating particular aspects of reality? No way to tell. Even if we can spot the tampering, we've yet to actually catch them in the act. Are they as benevolent as most religions claim? Could go either way, though if they are benevolent... that speaks to an inability to prevent disasters, and vice versa. Is it worth having faith in such elusive existences? Faith in higher powers can be a good source of emotional stability and comfort, but blaming everything good or bad in your life on higher powers can tend to blind you to your own failings and successes alike, so I've never been inclined towards religion myself."

Back