Wormverse ideas, recs, and fic discussion thread 1

A stupid cracky idea.

Aisha somehow gets a hold of a camera drone that pretty much is equal to her in stealth. I dunno, maybe she asked Leet to build it.
Point is, she thinks of an awesome idea to make money, and thus....

And I could see stupid moments like her being under the sea doing her dance next to Levi, or up in space doing a dance with Simmie. Maybe a dance with Scion? Of course, it completely slips her mind that people might want to know how she got that close to the endbringers....or how she go into Cauldron to dance with Contessa...

Goddaughter

Beep, beep, beep, beep,...

The room was silent except for the single, insistent machine hooked up to a slim, pale girl with dark hair spilling out around her sleeping form. A single nurse whose shift had ended an hour ago was still keeping a silent vigil over her. Such a tragedy for one so young, such a cruel fate to lose both her parents to car accidents, and her father only when he was rushing to come to her. The girl herself was still ignorant, of course, she had yet to wake up from the trauma that brought her here. Samuel Peters was sitting by her to make sure that someone was here when she woke up, that the girl would have a shoulder to cry on when she learned. There was no one else as far as he knew, no siblings, no grandparents, no close friends. But Sam would be here for her, it was not his job, not exactly, but he felt it was his duty.

The relative silence was broken by the door being opened and a woman stepping in. Like the girl on the bed, she was pale and dark haired, but unlike her, she was most definitely a woman, and an exceedingly beautiful one at that. Sam quietly and quickly left his seat to intercept her, visiting hours ended hours and hours ago.

"How is she?" The woman asked with obvious concern, though Sam had difficulty focusing on the question. Her smell, her voice, her sheer presence. It was enough to make a monk weep for his vows.

"She... She's fine," was all he was able to stammer back. "As fine as can be expected," he added quickly, shooting a guilty glance at the layers of gauze covering the girl's many minor injuries.

"Oh good, thank you," the woman replied with a relieved sigh and a smile that made Sam think of thoughts that did not at all belong in a hospital.

"Um," he managed to stammer out again, internally kicking himself for his less than smooth performance, "I don't mean to be rude, but who are you?"

"Phoebe Monroe," she answered, untroubled by his stammering. "Taylor's godmother," she added with a glance at the sleeping girl.

>>-----> <-----<<​

"Mom?" Were my first disbelieving words when I regained enough of my sanity to ask meaningful questions. My vision was hazy, and though by then I'd figured out how to suppress it, the added input from the myriad of bugs in the hospital weren't helping. I knew it couldn't be, of course, but there was a pale, tear-streaked face framed by locks of dark hair looking down at me with a compassion so deep it cut through everything, and that was the first thing that came to my mind.

"No, Taylor," she replied, and even though it was stupid, I felt my heart drop. "I'm Phoebe, your godmother." I frowned, despite the pain, the constant buzzing in my mind and, probably a good deal of painkillers, I was quite sure this didn't make sense.

"I don't have a godmother," I managed to mumble back. I tried lifting my arm to wipe away the grit and tears in my eyes, but I was too weak and too hooked into machines to manage it.

She took out a napkin and gently cleared my eyes for me, and I didn't know whether to feel annoyed or grateful. "You do now," she said softly, "I'm an old friend of your mother's. I... I was at her funeral, do you remember?"

Even now, the thought brought a few fresh tears to my eyes, and I shook my head weakly. There had been a lot of people at the funeral, I had been as thoroughly miserable as I have ever been in my life, and even if despite that I had noticed this Phoebe, I wouldn't be able to recall it now.

"Where's my dad?" I asked hoarsely instead, and immediately I could see the answer in her eyes. "No," I stammered weakly, "no, no, no!" I wanted to rage and punch and cry and kick and scream, but all I could do was shake in my hospital bed, and not even enough to dislodge the IV drip in my arm.

She put her arms around me, and my control broke. She tried her best to hug me, to offer me comfort, but I writhed and wrigged to get away from her, and every bug, wasp and spider in the hospital and surrounding city block converged on her.

I don't know how she did it, but somehow, she managed to hold onto me and to reach through to me. I felt my anger drain away, and regained my senses enough to make the bugs disperse before causing her any more harm, and before alerting anyone. And then I let myself go, putting my face in her shoulder and crying until no more tears would come and then until the grief-induced shaking subsided.

I lay back against the pillow again, and she let me go. I looked up at her and winced as I saw her face. It was covered in stings and bites, swollen grotesquely and still she managed to offer me a genuine smile. "I... I'm so sorry," I managed to stammer out.

"Shhhh," she said, still smiling, and placed a finger over her lips to silence me, "I've had much worse for far less a cause than giving a hug when it was needed. A bit of make-up and a hat, and no one will be the wiser."

I nodded mutely. That didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I was not exactly in a position to do much of anything. My best friend had forced me into a locker full of filth, I had somehow gotten the superpower to control bugs and all other disgusting things, my father had died leaving me an orphan, I had outed myself by attacking the only person to show me real kindness in what felt like forever, and apparently she didn't mind at all.

Phoebe just sat there, holding my hand and silently offering me her comfort. I don't know how long it took before I managed to get my thoughts in order enough to buy more time by carefully moving my arm to the table next to me and picking up a cheap plastic cup half-filled with water. "Who are you really?" I asked after I had eased the dryness in my mouth.

"Someone who loved your mother very much since before you were born," she said softly, "and whom your father never liked very much. Annette did mean for me to be your godmother, Taylor, but it was never official, and I was never able to be a part of your life."

I nodded again and took up the plastic cup once more, Phoebe had apparently anticipated my need and filled it half up again.

"What happens now?" I asked, somehow finding it easier to concentrate on the mundane future than the terrible present.

"If you will have me, I become your legal guardian, and I offer you a new home. If you wont," she continues with a pang of worry that reaches me despite the numbness of my mind, "you become a ward of the state and they find you a good foster home."

"Why do you care?" The words came out harsher than I meant them to, but I didn't care enough to go through the seemingly insurmountable task of softening them.

I turned towards her and looked directly into Phoebe's huge, dark, dark eyes and somehow they managed to cut through all of my grief, all of my pain, and all of my loss. "I chose to love your mother, Taylor, and I love her still. I do not know you yet, but I see much of what was good in her reflected in you, and I am sure that if you give me the chance, I will come to love you as well."

I closed my eyes and turned my head away. How could I not? I told my dad I loved, him and he told me that he loved me back, sure, but never like this. Nothing like this. Whoever this Phoebe was, there was no doubt in my mind that she meant every word, and that she took her love very, very seriously.

I took a deep breath, several really, before turning back to her and giving a slight nod. "OK," I said, "I believe you."

She smiled, and despite the swelling (which somewhere in the back of my brain, I couldn't help but noticed had gone down considerably) it was the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful smile I had seen since my mother died.

-----------------​

Yay, I finally got my act together and wrote some Worm! Go me!

This is a crossover of sorts, and I must admit a certain curiosity on whether or not anyone will recognize it.

More importantly, does anyone find it interesting? And if so, would it be more interesting to set it in Brockton Bay or have Taylor move in with her new godmother?

Hey anybody thought about using Vista's power like a focusing lens.

She could make an awesome orbital laser cannon effect.

Also I never seen anyone describe her powers effect on light.

Hey anybody thought about using Vista's power like a focusing lens.

She could make an awesome orbital laser cannon effect.

Also I never seen anyone describe her powers effect on light.
There were references to her light warping effect during the early stages of gold morning, when she was helping people evac through the BB portal.

Goddaughter

Beep, beep, beep, beep,...

The room was silent except for the single, insistent machine hooked up to a slim, pale girl with dark hair spilling out around her sleeping form. A single nurse whose shift had ended an hour ago was still keeping a silent vigil over her. Such a tragedy for one so young, such a cruel fate to lose both her parents to car accidents, and her father only when he was rushing to come to her. The girl herself was still ignorant, of course, she had yet to wake up from the trauma that brought her here. Samuel Peters was sitting by her to make sure that someone was here when she woke up, that the girl would have a shoulder to cry on when she learned. There was no one else as far as he knew, no siblings, no grandparents, no close friends. But Sam would be here for her, it was not his job, not exactly, but he felt it was his duty.

The relative silence was broken by the door being opened and a woman stepping in. Like the girl on the bed, she was pale and dark haired, but unlike her, she was most definitely a woman, and an exceedingly beautiful one at that. Sam quietly and quickly left his seat to intercept her, visiting hours ended hours and hours ago.

"How is she?" The woman asked with obvious concern, though Sam had difficulty focusing on the question. Her smell, her voice, her sheer presence. It was enough to make a monk weep for his vows.

"She... She's fine," was all he was able to stammer back. "As fine as can be expected," he added quickly, shooting a guilty glance at the layers of gauze covering the girl's many minor injuries.

"Oh good, thank you," the woman replied with a relieved sigh and a smile that made Sam think of thoughts that did not at all belong in a hospital.

"Um," he managed to stammer out again, internally kicking himself for his less than smooth performance, "I don't mean to be rude, but who are you?"

"Phoebe Monroe," she answered, untroubled by his stammering. "Taylor's godmother," she added with a glance at the sleeping girl.

>>-----> <-----<<​

"Mom?" Were my first disbelieving words when I regained enough of my sanity to ask meaningful questions. My vision was hazy, and though by then I'd figured out how to suppress it, the added input from the myriad of bugs in the hospital weren't helping. I knew it couldn't be, of course, but there was a pale, tear-streaked face framed by locks of dark hair looking down at me with a compassion so deep it cut through everything, and that was the first thing that came to my mind.

"No, Taylor," she replied, and even though it was stupid, I felt my heart drop. "I'm Phoebe, your godmother." I frowned, despite the pain, the constant buzzing in my mind and, probably a good deal of painkillers, I was quite sure this didn't make sense.

"I don't have a godmother," I managed to mumble back. I tried lifting my arm to wipe away the grit and tears in my eyes, but I was too weak and too hooked into machines to manage it.

She took out a napkin and gently cleared my eyes for me, and I didn't know whether to feel annoyed or grateful. "You do now," she said softly, "I'm an old friend of your mother's. I... I was at her funeral, do you remember?"

Even now, the thought brought a few fresh tears to my eyes, and I shook my head weakly. There had been a lot of people at the funeral, I had been as thoroughly miserable as I have ever been in my life, and even if despite that I had noticed this Phoebe, I wouldn't be able to recall it now.

"Where's my dad?" I asked hoarsely instead, and immediately I could see the answer in her eyes. "No," I stammered weakly, "no, no, no!" I wanted to rage and punch and cry and kick and scream, but all I could do was shake in my hospital bed, and not even enough to dislodge the IV drip in my arm.

She put her arms around me, and my control broke. She tried her best to hug me, to offer me comfort, but I writhed and wrigged to get away from her, and every bug, wasp and spider in the hospital and surrounding city block converged on her.

I don't know how she did it, but somehow, she managed to hold onto me and to reach through to me. I felt my anger drain away, and regained my senses enough to make the bugs disperse before causing her any more harm, and before alerting anyone. And then I let myself go, putting my face in her shoulder and crying until no more tears would come and then until the grief-induced shaking subsided.

I lay back against the pillow again, and she let me go. I looked up at her and winced as I saw her face. It was covered in stings and bites, swollen grotesquely and still she managed to offer me a genuine smile. "I... I'm so sorry," I managed to stammer out.

"Shhhh," she said, still smiling, and placed a finger over her lips to silence me, "I've had much worse for far less a cause than giving a hug when it was needed. A bit of make-up and a hat, and no one will be the wiser."

I nodded mutely. That didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I was not exactly in a position to do much of anything. My best friend had forced me into a locker full of filth, I had somehow gotten the superpower to control bugs and all other disgusting things, my father had died leaving me an orphan, I had outed myself by attacking the only person to show me real kindness in what felt like forever, and apparently she didn't mind at all.

Phoebe just sat there, holding my hand and silently offering me her comfort. I don't know how long it took before I managed to get my thoughts in order enough to buy more time by carefully moving my arm to the table next to me and picking up a cheap plastic cup half-filled with water. "Who are you really?" I asked after I had eased the dryness in my mouth.

"Someone who loved your mother very much since before you were born," she said softly, "and whom your father never liked very much. Annette did mean for me to be your godmother, Taylor, but it was never official, and I was never able to be a part of your life."

I nodded again and took up the plastic cup once more, Phoebe had apparently anticipated my need and filled it half up again.

"What happens now?" I asked, somehow finding it easier to concentrate on the mundane future than the terrible present.

"If you will have me, I become your legal guardian, and I offer you a new home. If you wont," she continues with a pang of worry that reaches me despite the numbness of my mind, "you become a ward of the state and they find you a good foster home."

"Why do you care?" The words came out harsher than I meant them to, but I didn't care enough to go through the seemingly insurmountable task of softening them.

I turned towards her and looked directly into Phoebe's huge, dark, dark eyes and somehow they managed to cut through all of my grief, all of my pain, and all of my loss. "I chose to love your mother, Taylor, and I love her still. I do not know you yet, but I see much of what was good in her reflected in you, and I am sure that if you give me the chance, I will come to love you as well."

I closed my eyes and turned my head away. How could I not? I told my dad I loved, him and he told me that he loved me back, sure, but never like this. Nothing like this. Whoever this Phoebe was, there was no doubt in my mind that she meant every word, and that she took her love very, very seriously.

I took a deep breath, several really, before turning back to her and giving a slight nod. "OK," I said, "I believe you."

She smiled, and despite the swelling (which somewhere in the back of my brain, I couldn't help but noticed had gone down considerably) it was the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful smile I had seen since my mother died.

-----------------​

Yay, I finally got my act together and wrote some Worm! Go me!

This is a crossover of sorts, and I must admit a certain curiosity on whether or not anyone will recognize it.

More importantly, does anyone find it interesting? And if so, would it be more interesting to set it in Brockton Bay or have Taylor move in with her new godmother?

My first thought was holy shit Lustrem was not sent to the birdcage. My second thought was, really? Danny died to a car accident as well? That is rather convenient.

My Third thought was, this is a cross over?

My forth thought looked at Phoebes name and is imminently guessing Charmed.

Honestly never watched charmed, only know some characters.

My first thought was holy shit Lustrem was not sent to the birdcage. My second thought was, really? Danny died to a car accident as well? That is rather convenient.

My Third thought was, this is a cross over?

My forth thought looked at Phoebes name and is imminently guessing Charmed.

Honestly never watched charmed, only know some characters.
TBH I didn't give much thought to Danny's death, but I could see him rushing red lights to get to Taylor when he hears about her getting sent to the hospital, and that kinda thing occasionally gets people killed. If it's off-putting, I can certainly rework it if I pick this up.

Not Charmed. I wasn't even aware one of those witches was called Phoebe.

TBH I didn't give much thought to Danny's death, but I could see him rushing red lights to get to Taylor when he hears about her getting sent to the hospital, and that kinda thing occasionally gets people killed. If it's off-putting, I can certainly rework it if I pick this up.

Not Charmed. I wasn't even aware one of those witches was called Phoebe.

W.i.t.c.h? I think the Heart girl was named phoebe.

Winx?

W.i.t.c.h? I think the Heart girl was named phoebe.

Winx?

seconded that thought

the only thing i found from google for a crossover is something called tucker's wand that has a time crontoling wand

also annie oakley
The character she's inspired by is not actually called Phoebe or Monroe, it's just the Anglicization I came up with for her. I don't think there's anything in the snip that's googleable if you don't know the source material.

I just updated my fanfic Number Girl with a new chapter, Chapter 5.

A preview:

I picked out my clothes with care. I couldn't compare to Emma's fashion model looks and dress sense, but I would do my best to look presentable. I rummaged through my closet and found a set of clothes that I'd never taken to school. Ones I'd kept at home so they wouldn't get ripped up or stained by the bullies' pranks. I hesitated before putting them on. If Emma pulled something on me here-

99.8% chance of being free from attack in an hour's time.

Good. If Emma bullied me in my own house I wouldn't have to put up with her shit forever. I'd be able to kick her out within the hour.

I spent the next fifteen minutes planning our conversation. What would I say to her? What would I demand from her? There was so much I wanted to to make her answer for, but I didn't know what would tug at her heartstrings and make her see the error of her ways, and what would set her off.

I had always played it safe with the bullies. Took the first opportunity to end the confrontation, to protect myself, to escape. But if I never confronted her she would never change her ways. I would have to take risks, spill out my heart and make demands, and trust my power to lead me to safety...

The character she's inspired by is not actually called Phoebe or Monroe, it's just the Anglicization I came up with for her. I don't think there's anything in the snip that's googleable if you don't know the source material.
That makes it far more difficult for others to get. Could you just tell us?

Also, there should be an "Interesting" rating along with a "WTF" one.

So, have any of you heard of Worlds of Magic? Apparently it only came out recently, and the dev team for it is releasing patches for its issues, but that doesn't matter. I was more intrigued by the concept, and how it seemed to lend itself well to crossovers. You see, in the game, you play the role of a sorcerer who has taken over a city through means either foul or fair and promptly goes on a quest for total multiversal domination.

It has magic, and the spells you have are determined by 12 categories and their overlaps. The circles are the six elemental circles of life, death, earth, fire, water, and air, in addition to the six effect circles of augmentation, destruction, biomancy, mentalism, protection, and summoning. The names should be fairly self-explanatory as to what each circle specializes in.

Now, my idea was, why not show someone on the path of a conqueror? That is, you can control someone and guide them to the point where they become a Sorcerer Lord or die, determining how they rise to power. I'm thinking about running this quest, and thought that I'd throw out the idea and test people's reactions to it. Of course, since I haven't played Worlds of Magic, you should expect some heavy differences, but the idea seems rather interesting to me.

So, have any of you heard of Worlds of Magic? Apparently it only came out recently, and the dev team for it is releasing patches for its issues, but that doesn't matter. I was more intrigued by the concept, and how it seemed to lend itself well to crossovers. You see, in the game, you play the role of a sorcerer who has taken over a city through means either foul or fair and promptly goes on a quest for total multiversal domination.

It has magic, and the spells you have are determined by 12 categories and their overlaps. The circles are the six elemental circles of life, death, earth, fire, water, and air, in addition to the six effect circles of augmentation, destruction, biomancy, mentalism, protection, and summoning. The names should be fairly self-explanatory as to what each circle specializes in.

Now, my idea was, why not show someone on the path of a conqueror? That is, you can control someone and guide them to the point where they become a Sorcerer Lord or die, determining how they rise to power. I'm thinking about running this quest, and thought that I'd throw out the idea and test people's reactions to it. Of course, since I haven't played Worlds of Magic, you should expect some heavy differences, but the idea seems rather interesting to me.
Not that this isn't interesting or anything, but what does it have to do with Worm?

Basically, I was thinking giving the choice between three different characters, each of which had their own bonuses and drawbacks. For example, if you chose Taylor, then you would have an idea of how things would go if you didn't show your magic to anyone, which would let you research in relative safety while potentially following the rails until you decided not to. If you chose anyone else, such as Aisha, then canon would promptly jump out a window. That effect would be further magnified if you chose the OC.

In addition, depending on who you chose, you would have a single circle preselected, in addition to the other two circles you would have. For example, Taylor would have at least a single circle of Mentalism, reflecting her power, which is basically bug mind control. Aisha would have a circle of Protection, reflecting her power, which could be said to protect her from the consequences of her actions by making people not recognize her. The tinker OC would have a circle of Earth, because apparently earth is the element that has the most transmutation stuff, reflecting his desire for materials so he can make stuff. Of course, since you would only have three circles' worth of spells, you would have to eventually try to find more, which is when the story would really start to go off the rails. Oh differing planes and gateways to them, you're so very useful for a storyteller. And this isn't even considering the effects different races can have! Of course, this isn't touching the eventual reveal that magic is real~

So, does this quest seem interesting?

Last edited:
You know what time it is? World building time.

While Brockton Bay is noted for "extreme Parahuman density", it is still a fairly small town. As such, there will be a lot of towns with a similar number, even if the population is higher.
As such, meet Louisville, Kentucky. A little over 800 thousand inhabitants, and an unknown number of transients, homeless, and other people that can not be counted, due to various reasons.

Major factions:
Uptown Boys: A Heroic group, theorized to be the result of a group Trigger. Realists, they have no goal further than enlightened self interest. Powersets are primarily Shakers, with combinations with Mover and Brute, depending on the individual.
Abbey/Hannah Strebie: In costume, almost nun like with a brown overcloak, mask sculpted to represent Joan of Arc, and a rucksack on her back. In civilian guise, an enthusiastic, eager, and somewhat hyper sixteen year old with self esteem issues (it works as she can look past her 'flaws' when she's helping others). Power is to reinforce cloth and stone, making them much harder to damage.

Resolute/Harry Abner: In costume, knight type plate armor and mail, with a compound bow and crossbow. In civilian guise, a confident, somewhat underweight, and white haired young man of about nineteen. Power is metallokinesis, with whatever he is acting on gaining large amounts of inertia and increasing in durability. Current suit is mostly made of industrial alloys.

Old Guard: A trio of ex-professors out of work from the economic collapse, typically are seen in more historic areas, or places of public worth.
Hotshot: A Rogue-for-hire, cocky grin included. Heat based speedster.
A double handful of PRT agents. Captures are flown out "soon" after arrest.

Starstruck: Subdued, stealthy and reclusive independent. She very rarely talks, due to a speech impediment from a past fight that also taught her the benefit of patience and restraint.

River Rats: Self deprecating 'Villain' organization. mainly deals in petty thefts, burglaries, and other nonviolent crime. Primarily recruits from down and out populations, such as homeless passing through the city on the barges, thus their name. Due to their nonbelligerent nature, they technically have a minor presence in Louisville, but since they don't do the 'lower' sorts of activities like push drugs, they aren't in competition of the major crime syndicates, they are regarded as 'that annoying nephew' by most groups, seen as generally harmless.

Still Being Worked On, To Be Continued, Etc.

Last edited:
You know what time it is? World building time.

While Brockton Bay is noted for "extreme Parahuman density", it is still a fairly small town. As such, there will be a lot of towns with a similar number, even if the population is higher.

You know, it occurs to me that there's probably enough people here that we could build up a bank of capes from various cities. the biggest reason, I think, that most Worm fanfics take place in Brockton Bay (apart from protagonist bias) is that the overwhelming majority of named characters are from there, or spend their time there. Having people make lists based on their home towns and setting them all up in their own thread might be a good way to flesh out the world beyond BB and give people some incentive to move stories to other places. We'd just need to agree on what sort of density is reasonable. I think Piggot said something like 1 in 2000 in cities or 1 in 5000 in the countryside, but I can't recall where in the story that was right now.

Back