Fluffy

Destroyer of.......most worlds
For a long time (since i started really getting into games at the tender age of 10) ive known that some of my opinions on gaming are considered by many to be.....well.....wrong (for lack of a better word).
So for a while i have been wondering, what opinions do you guys on SV have that would be considered controversial.
I will start.

I thought mark meer was a better shepard than jennifer hale.
Invisible text here

Last edited:
I thought mark meer was a better shepard than jennifer hale.
I don't think he's better but I do find the pro-femshep side to sometimes be obnoxiously loud on the matter. Like real rude at times, implying Meer can't act or whatever. Total rubbish. It's fine to prefer one to the other and all that but don't throw shit on the actor, he gave a good performance.

Incidentally I think Meer makes a better paragon Shepard than Hale, who makes a really good renegade Shep.

okay, was hoping you would share an opinion of yours but alright, heres another one of mine
I thought undertale was boring and preachy.

Dragon Age 2 has the best characterisation of all the DA games.

ME2 has the worst plot of all the ME games.

ME3 was a terrific game despite its ending.

Overwatch seems kinda boring and over-priced. Between it and Battleborn, Battleborn seems like the better game.

Edit:
Here's one, I find most MOBA games to be boring and excruciatingly slow with LoL being among the worst.
Oh, another occured to me. MOBAs would better without a last-hit mechanic, it's an unnecessarily finicky mechanic that only serve to prevent those unwilling to devote their lives to the game from enjoying it.

Last edited:
Actionizing rpg combat is a-OK. Of course it depends how its actionized. Witcher 3 is my go to example for doing it right.

Action-rpgs uber alles.

Here's one, I find most MOBA games to be boring and excruciatingly slow with LoL being among the worst.
Is that truly controversial though

:V
Interestingly, as a MOBA player myself (Started with Smite and went to Dota 2), I perfectly understand how and why folks have that opinion. It's definitely a niche genre.

My controversial opinion?
Team Fortress 2 is highly overrated. The actual zaniness of the game is hideously underwhelming compared to the comedic tone of "Meet The Team" and other shorts. The game is essentially in permanent Early Access.

While I'm doing this, Hotline Miami 2 was a vast improvement over the original, which had only one optimal playstyle. HM2 forces the player to pick from several powerful but specialized playstyles that can each earn A+ on the level in which you are offered them.

FTL: Faster Than Light should've been released with the Captain's Edition mod from the start. Advanced Edition was a great way to make things better, but Captain's Edition is so far ahead in terms of content variety, replayability, and difficulty, and balance, that it should be considered the baseline experience.

KOTOR 2 is leagues ahead of KOTOR in terms of item variety, engine quality, and storyline.

It's perfectly fine to play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth with the flash filter on, even if I don't do it myself.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV is a flawed gem that is nonetheless a blessing to the series that brought in fresh ideas and shook up the formula of HoMM in the best way possible, and it would've been the best in the series if 3DO hadn't gone bankrupt making it.

Don't Starve provides a far more fulfilling and engaging experience in building a home and surviving than Minecraft can ever hope to.

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are equal in terms of quality.

Hm, opinions as to the wider idea of gaming as opposed to just personal taste...

The Witcher 2 had a mediocre plot and combat

Overwatch seems kinda boring and over-priced. Between it and Battleborn, Battleborn seems like the better game.

Edit:

Oh, another occured to me. MOBAs would better without a last-hit mechanic, it's an unnecessarily finicky mechanic that only serve to prevent those unwilling to devote their lives to the game from enjoying it.

Hard mechanics that serve a purpose in their difficulty are perfectly okay.

Actually, let me turn that into a really unpopular opinion: games are not for everyone. I don't mean that in the way that not everyone should be able to play games, but that different types of games do and should appeal to different niches. Dota is ridiculously deep and rewarding if you like a game you can dig into for decades even if the basic mechanics take all of a day to really learn. CoD is a much more shallow experience which relies on twitch reflexes. There's no need to make Dota into CoD or CoD into Dota and you lose the essence of what makes them fun if you do. If you come up against a popular game that frustrates you, realize you might just understand why its mechanics work the way they do and that you're not the target audience.

Super unpopular video game opinion: you really do need to play Drakengard to get the full Cavia experience. It's terrible, but the way everything comes together is what makes it so damn memorable as opposed to just reading an LP. Same deal with Drakengard 3; the combat sucks but you really aren't getting the same value from the banter and frustration if you aren't playing it. Quite frankly you should probably play any video game through before really digging into it and discussing it or lord forbid writing fanfiction. Games are complete experiences; watching an LP does not compare to actually playing it through.

Edit: Also, in Dota if you don't like to last hit you could just play a hard support or a roamer! No farming creeps for you! Lord knows pubs could use more supports that don't feel the need to go for last hits and are content stacking and pulling.

Last edited:
Edit:

Hard mechanics that serve a purpose in their difficulty are perfectly okay.

Actually, let me turn that into a really unpopular opinion: games are not for everyone. I don't mean that in the way that not everyone should be able to play games, but that different types of games do and should appeal to different niches. Dota is ridiculously deep and rewarding if you like a game you can dig into for decades even if the basic mechanics take all of a day to really learn. CoD is a much more shallow experience which relies on twitch reflexes. There's no need to make Dota into CoD or CoD into Dota and you lose the essence of what makes them fun if you do. If you come up against a popular game that frustrates you, realize you might just understand why its mechanics work the way they do and that you're not the target audience.

Last hitting exists to allow players to predict each other's actions when their farming, and to force farm heavy champions to get relatively close to the enemy at predictable intervals. That's not to say MOABs don't have a bunch of legacy mechanics that make things too complicated for the sake of it. I still don't see the point of having Gold and EXP. They're both "things you get from kills that make your character scale up."

- Bioware style voice dialogue wheels are a pretty awesome way to give players choice within a set character and don't really give you that much less choice than most silent protagonist dialogue systems. Granted, Mass Effect does not really use it that well. I think Dragon Age Inquisition and SWTOR did it best. DA: I jettisoned the paragon renegade shit and gave us a lot of room of interpretation for our own Inquistor, while The Old Republic gave us a ton of varied set characters to choose from. Most of them weren't very good. But it gave us the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor so whatever.

- Games, RPG's strategy or whatever, that are based too heavily on micromanaging and metagaming the game's internal rules are in my eyes complete bullshit. If your game about Space Marines fighting aliens isn't asking me to think in terms of the games scenario and the strategies I would use as a space marine commander, and instead want me to optimize abstract bullshit and fuck around with cool down abilities that make no sense in the game's context, the game has pretty much lied to me when it told me it was about space marines fighting aliens or whatever.

The Witcher 2 had a mediocre plot and combat

Yeah, Witcher 2 was way too invested in the setting's sociopolitical bullshit, turned established characters like Triss into plot devices, and for the most part ignored Geralt's relationship with his friends and loved ones.

Witcher 2 didn't understand what the Witcher is all about. It's supposed to be about Geralt and Ciri and their own monkey sphere dealing with the consequences of the world's political bullshit, with a lot of peeks into the world around them via the random ass quests and Witcher contracts you do.

Last edited:
I feel like this entire thread should go in the unpopular opinions thread.
But until it does, I suppose I'll share my own.

Baldur's Gate 2 doesn't hold up at all.
See I never got to play it when it first came out, but everyone said it was amazing, and so when they released the enhanced edition years later I picked it up.

I got a very slow game in terms of pacing, plot, and actual gameplay. With dull graphics. Now dull graphics aren't the killer.
The fact that it takes forever to get anything done is.

The GameCube controller was only two button placements away from being the best Nintendo controller ever.
The N64 sucked wind.
BioWare imploded well before EA bought them, EA doesn't actually deserve the blame for what BioWare has become.
3DO died too soon.
Final Fantasy Tactics > FFT:Advance.
Demon's Souls > Dark Souls
EverQuest > EverQuest 2.
There has never been a good "movie" game.

Last hitting exists to allow players to predict each other's actions when their farming, and to force farm heavy champions to get relatively close to the enemy at predictable intervals. That's not to say MOABs don't have a bunch of legacy mechanics that make things too complicated for the sake of it. I still don't see the point of having Gold and EXP. They're both "things you get from kills that make your character scale up."
Gold and XP serve vastly different purposes. Gold comes from the trickle + last hits, forcing action and rewarding actually getting in and last hitting while XP is passive. It lets you scale characters differently, some being reliant on levels (they might be able to just offlane and hang around the XP zone even if they get no last hits) or others on gold (they absolutely need to be in the fray killing creeps). The fact that levels also serve as a gatekeep for skills is also important, as it means that there are times you want a member of a trilane to go roam because you both get the threat of a roamer and more XP for a support (who is not last hitting).

Basically you gain them differently even if they both come from enemies dying and that allows for a greater tactical and design space.
The GameCube controller was only two button placements away from being the best Nintendo controller ever.
Final Fantasy Tactics > FFT:Advance.
Demon's Souls > Dark Souls
EverQuest > EverQuest 2.
These aren't particularly unpopular though? Most people prefer FFT over FFT:A, EQ over EQ2, a sizable chunk prefer DeS over DaS (I'm one) and the GCube controller is considered to be a classic.

I feel like this entire thread should go in the unpopular opinions thread.
But until it does, I suppose I'll share my own.

Baldur's Gate 2 doesn't hold up at all.
See I never got to play it when it first came out, but everyone said it was amazing, and so when they released the enhanced edition years later I picked it up.

I got a very slow game in terms of pacing, plot, and actual gameplay. With dull graphics. Now dull graphics aren't the killer.
The fact that it takes forever to get anything done is.
I personally cannot play classically styled CRPGs, but that's more of a taste thing than anything else.

I still don't see the point of having Gold and EXP. They're both "things you get from kills that make your character scale up."
At least in Dota, EXP affects your skills, and Gold allows you to buy items. Since skills are static and have different interactions with items, you have two separate banks. Your EXP improves your skills, and you use gold to buy items that are synergistic with your character.

This kinda shit is why I said in my first post I understand how and why folks don't like MOBAs. It's a lot of complexity for varying returns on depth.

GOG is a nostalgia trap.

All these games I used to think were top shit in my childhood, I buy them today and can't play for more than five minutes. Looking at you X-wing, Wing Commander, Privateer 2, Starfleet Command.

For all my objections to its idiotic storyline, and with the sole exception of the art style in particular being too colourful and not grim enough, Diablo 3 is still a much smoother and polished game than its predecessors. Seriously I just tried playing some D2 right now and I died like a dozen times in Hell because the gameplay is just clunky and shit.

Deus Ex is massively overrated.

Deus Ex Invisible War is rather underrated, due to Deus Ex's slavish fanbase.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was fundamentally let down by the way they felt they had to service an overrated game from 2001 and this compromised both its artistic integrity and its narrative value.

Back