• Let the Roll Decide

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 3:4
Chapter Three: Part Four
OddFather's Hunt

SoundTrack: Remember from the Lion King

OddFather…You want to know more about OddFather and Mother Mammal. You know so little about them. At least with Mother Mammal you have a fairly good head picture of. Mother was not so good at describing what OddFather looked like. All you know was that he was an Odd, which is something you still cannot quite picture. Odds are supposed to look something like a tree-dweller mammal but with the texture and furlessness of a small Mammal's tail. You know that their skins come in four colours, the darker browns of mud, the blacks of talons and claws, the lighter brown of sand, and apparently the whites of clouds. You could believe most of that, but white as a cloud? Nothing is that white, it would stand out way too much. At least with the greys and silvers of your kind they could easily blend into the times of dusk and dawn.

Mother described Odd-Father as a male, which in Odds apparently means a flat, muscular body and snout fur. Females have bubbles of flesh on their chest and longer head fur, or so Mother claims. Oh, and all Odds have a secondary skin that can be any colour of the rainbow and they change the second skin as they wished. You are not convinced at all, because it sounds like something from a not-flesh (mushroom) dream. Still, if Mother, Father, and the rest of the pack believe that something like this raised them then something must have being going on. Precise-Claws (raptors) do not just come from nowhere after all.

Shaking yourself from thinking about the oddities of the Odd, you quietly chirp to Slack Jaw that you want to hear about OddFather. She huffs through her nostrils for a moment, before asking what you want to hear about him. You ponder for a moment about what you want to hear. Slack Jaw's sudden near-silent huffing startles you as she begins your her storytelling. You feel a moment of loss at having the choice of topic taken from you, but let it go. You had no idea what you were going to ask for anyway, so it is not much of a loss.

Slack Jaw chitters to you softly, "OddFather was a great parent, caring and stern as needed. He tore and shared the meat of his kills when we sisters were still hatchlings, even though we were not of his young or of his kind. He taught us how to play and how to withhold ourselves so that we would not hurt one another in play. He would watch my sisters and I chase Mother Mammal in fun and play our games. He was stern and wise, chastising us when blood was unnecessarily spilled. Even in the times when we grew large enough to do him serious harm should we have wished it, he never stood down or feared us. Though our talons, fangs, and claws might have nicked him, he made sure to engage in play. He was the best fighter out of the pack, able to wrestle us to the ground and pin us in submission even when the pack worked together. Looking back on those shining times, he was a much better parent to us, then any of our pack, our family, has been able to be." Slack Jaw pauses in thought, ignoring your polite nibble of reassurance that she is a good parent.

"OddFather's most dominating trait was his self-assurance. He strode everywhere like the Two-Claws (Rexes) and Long-Jaws (Baryonx) do, fearless and proud of his might and power. He was an Alpha like no other I have seen since. Strong Jaw of the BigRock pack is the closest I have seen to having the same stride that OddFather had," she stops for a moment and collects herself, "and even that does not compare. Strong Jaw, he is strong and fierce but his stride, like every other smart Precise-Claw, holds that knowledge that there are things in our lands that have the capability to finish our lives like we finish the lives of a small Mammal. OddFather was his own Alpha and he was not scared of anything like that. Mother Mammal had a similar gait, but only when she was nearby OddFather. His walking stride seeming to be an infectious thing for her. Sometimes I wonder if we had that same stride when we were if him…" Slack Jaw stops in her chittering and reflects for a moment.

You take the moment of silence to ask Slack Jaw something that you have wanted to ask Mother for a while now. "What is your favoured story of OddFather?" Her eyes light up for a moment, like they have caught a stray beam of light from the Moon, as Slack Jaw goes on to tell you of this precious time. "My favoured story," she begins, "is of the time that he taught us to hunt. He and Mother Mammal showed us the strategy they used and we have used since. OddFather had several other Sniffing Mammals (dogs) come with him for the hunt, though Mother Mammal was the alpha of their pack. We did not see her pack often, but sometimes OddFather would bring them to play when we were younger. The first thing we watched them hunt was a Tusk-Mammal (boar). Tusk-Mammals are moderately sized, about the same size of a Frill-Beak (protoceratops) and just as nastily tempered. Their tusks can pierce our scales like few other mammals can and…"

She stops for a moment and looks toward our slumbering family. Keeping one eye on them and another on sentry duty, she hisses as silently as she can, "I have seen them eat the eggs and young of a Two-Claw nest. I stumbled across the Tusk-Mammal alone while wandering the territory and followed it out of curiosity. It went straight through a marked Two-Crest sleeping den and I stalked along after it because I was too foolish to realize where it was going. I was too focused on the potential prey and did not keep an awareness of where I was. I only realized the dangers too late, having followed the prey right into a Two-Claw's nest site that was several slopes away from the Two-Crest's (real life dilos) sleeping den. I stuck to the outside boundary of the clearing they nested in at the time. I kept an eye on the Tusked-Mammal though because I was too curious for my own good. I watched it amble right up to the dirt mound the Two-Claws hid their eggs inside and start to root into it. When the stupid mammal started to crunch into the eggs inside, I ran for the clearing the pack nested in at the time. The pack heard the roar of fury the mother made just as I arrived back," her chuffs bring a light feeling in your chest. None of the Grown seem to chuff all that often and you think it is a shame. It is such a nice sound to hear, one of happiness and good times.

"Oh, right, where was I?" Slack Jaw asks you, finally remembers that she was already telling a story before going off into a smaller second one. "You were describing the Tusk-Mammal," you softly caw to her. "Right, of course. As I was chittering before, Tusk-Mammals are awful mammals and quite dangerous for other mammals to take on alone. OddFather had Mother Mammal and her pack sniffed out the prey, and they tracked it far from the den we were nesting in at the time. He had my sisters and I follow from a distance, not seeking to have one of us hurt the first time we watched him hunt. We were about your size, if I remember right. Not yet aged enough to properly partake in the hunt, but almost aged enough to begin to watch and learn how to hunt. When they found the Tusk-Mammal they were stalking, a sharp toothed thing with matted brown fur that had shoulders that would have reached my knees," she stops and takes a moment to lick her fangs. You have to admit, the mammal does sound particularly tasty right now. "OddFather had Mother Mammal and a few of her best fighters tackle the beast. They did so, aptly dodging the swiping tusks and striking of hard-feet that came soon after. The squeals, baying, and other battle cries we heard as we watched from the branches overhead sounded more like the challenging calls of a rival pack than any other sounds I have heard from mammals," she pauses, letting the ambiance of the surrounding forest take affect.

"Just as it looked like Mother Mammal was going to getting wounded by the tusks of the prey, she had been attempting for a neck hold I think, OddFather lunged onto the prey's back to pin it with his weight. This set the thing into a fury, before OddFather silenced it with his Not-Claw. It was astounding, but then I like to think every hunt that is a youngling's first is astounding," Slack Jaw trills before you both startle at the sound of a branch breaking. Slack Jaw puts her snout to the wind and checks for a scent, attempting to identify the potential threat before it arrives. Her eyes enlarge as she realizes just what the branch-breaker is. She loudly caws out a ready-alarm, awaking everyone and setting Scar-Snout and Blue Gray Sister into a quick running/fighting posture. "Incoming Thorn-Hand (Iguanadon)!" Slack Jaw bugles, before being cut off by the thundering cry of the Thorn-Hand.

What do you do? Pick ONE Action

[X] Run for the safety of the tree roots!
[X] Head for the safety of the tree branches!

[X] Ask Slack Jaw what to do.
[X] Head for Scar-Snout and Blue Gray Sister.

[X] Panic!
[X] Write-In (Less then forty words)

QM: Sorry I took so long with this. I got pestered by several projects in school and a small case of writer's block. I worked on this while I could, but stopped cause MidTerms arrived sooner this year then they did last year. I finally beat the writer's block though and editted several parts of this part to fit in the idea. Apparently midterms can come up anytime in October now, not just the end of the month... What is up with that?!

Anyways, hope that you guys enjoy. I will put up a InGen File tomorrow in apology for not getting the timing behind the finishing date for this part right. Oh, and if you don't recognize any of the terms used here just look them up in the terminology spoiler in the Index of Indexes. If I have missed any, just let me know and I will fix it up some more.

Deadline for Votes: October 23rd, 2015 at 8:00pm (EST).

Last edited:
[X] Head for the saftey of the tree branches!

OddFather was a bit of a badass. Wish we'd known him.

[X] Head for the safety of the tree branches

I have to agree with you @Lazurman, the Oddfather definetly sounded like he wasn't scared of anything. Sort of like Owen, but even more so because he wasn't afraid to actually go hunting with them.

Also is anyone else wondering Thorn-Hand is, because I am going to guess that it is a Therizinosaurus. They looked like this.

OddFather was a bit of a badass. Wish we'd known him.
I have to agree with you @Lazurman, the Oddfather definetly sounded like he wasn't scared of anything. Sort of like Owen, but even more so because he wasn't afraid to actually go hunting with them.
Yeah, I imagined him having to be to have such an affect on his raptors even so long after their release. Part of what took so long for this part to get out was thinking about how to show OddFather off as badass realistically. I couldn't just have him take the pack hunting for whatever, it didn't feel right. It took till I was reminded of hog hunting with dogs that I got the muse to accept what came out.
Maybe you will get a chance to see OddFather, Maybe not.
I still remember being stunned while watching Animal Planet a few years back because of just how scary sounding and potentially dangerous hog hunting with dogs was. It was a special on just how bad the feral hog problem was. Anyways, not everything I put in is as realistic as I could get it because I still needed to show how badass OddFather was. After all I doubt that realistic hog hunting with dogs has you jump on the hogs themselves.

In case anyone is wondering what the Thorn-Hand is... I am going to wait for the next part to actually put it into the Terminology. :p

QM Note: I have been thinking about changing the name of the Quest. Any opinions on that? I am a little unsure if the name fits or not. Do you guys think the name suits the Quest or should I change it to something else?

Last edited:
InGen File: AF.04
InGen File: Argentavis
Codenamed AF.04: Specimens of AF.04 is one of several proof concepts for the process of de-extinction of egg-laying species laid bare for the investors and the world to observe. It is the most recognizable of the proof concepts, being the most attractive of them, and the one to see the most benefit for the company, profit-wise. Given the codename, Project CrownSky, by the group of scientists involved in it's recreation it is also more commonly by nicknames such as Thunderbird, Roc, and Argentavis, it also has a more joking name among InGen employees as the 'Biosyn Bird.' This is due to AF.04's scavenger inclinations. They are one of the few specimens on [REDACTED] to not have the lysine dependency gene. Their existence was a much debated subject and was only passed due outside pressures on the company.

AF.04 was recreated from genetic material found amongst Late Miocene/Early Oligocene artifacts found in the remote areas of Argentina. Scientists involved in the resurrection of Specimen AF.04 include [REDACTED INFO]. While most of the genetic material of Argentavis was surprising intact, there were gaps in the code that needed to be filled in. Chief Geneticist Norman Atherton, retired at the time of this report's creation, was among those that worked on this specimen's genetic code and provided vital suggestions how to best manipulate the resulting creature's genetic code in such a way as to naturally cause the resulting species to prefer a lack of contact with humans.

This specimen is a primary scavenger of [REDACTED] and provides the island with a much needed indicator of carrion locations, for the carnivorous inhabitants. This is due to [REDACTED] lack of native carnivous species. While an oddity in nature, spaces such as this do exist on isolated islands. AF.04 specimens will hunt on when they desire to, usually going after the mammalian inhabitants of the island or DF.05 specimens when they do. Some handlers speculate they could go after larger prey items, but there is no evidence of this at this time. Their normal diet is primarily made up of carrion which they locate with a sense of smell comparable to that of the turkey vulture. At any one carrion site, there can be ten to thirty of the AF.04 specimens circling and awaiting a turn on the carcass.

When hunting, AF.04 specimens have been noted to hunt small to mid-sized land animals that venture out onto the open plains of [REDACTED]. Captured prey of AF.04 are normally killed upon striking impact, then swallowed whole when possible. If the prey is too large to swallow whole, AF.04 specimens then use their hooked beaks and talons to shred the prey to pieces for easier consumption.

Due to the 'need' for a self-sustained population on [REDACTED] both male and female specimens have been produced and introduced. Nesting sites have been sited amongst the mountainous terrains of [REDACTED] in places unable to be reached by humans without climbing gear or helicopters. At last count, there are seventy-some surviving AF.04 specimens living wild on [REDACTED] and nine specially created ones for InGen falconers.

Nine AF.04 specimens have been trained by falconers hired by InGen to circle at height to attract carnivorous specimens to lysine feed sites and for medical upkeep. While seven remain on [REDACTED] at all times, two specimens and their falconers are hired out at times at promotional events for InGen. Beyond the specimens on [REDACTED], some specimens have been created, raised, and given to handlers in the South American continent.

AF.04 specimens are the largest flying avian animals able to take flight in the modern day. Standing at two meters tall, with a seven foot wing span, they possess an intimidating physique that is only matched by the larger specimens on [REDACTED]. This is doubly true when they perch on their handlers, with one talons foot on each shoulder. All AF.04 specimens possess a pitch black coloration on that ranges from the nape of their head, down the back and flanks, to their tail feathers. The primaries of the wings are white with secondaries and tertiaries matching colouration on the backs of the animal. The legs of the animal expose the stone grey skin from the talons to the knee, with the feathers from the knee up matching the black plumage of the bird's flank.

What seperated AF.04 Specimens from other, more common vultures is the brilliance of their crown and facial regions. All specimens are noted to possess a crest of purple-black feathers that they can raise and lower depending on mood, though males have slightly longer crest feathers than females. It has also been noted that, as is the case in most raptorian species, the females are larger than the males. The bright red of the AF.04 Specimen's throat, chin, and foreface is noted to help keep the body easier to clean and contrasts against the lighter greys of the chest and breast. The eyes of the specimens range from A mellow white to a dark grey in colouration. The bill or beak of the bird is an ivory white.

Part of the deal that let InGen purchase the Five Deaths island chain involved creating twenty of the AF.04 specimens for handlers in South America as well over a hundred Andean Condors to be created and raised before being released to balance the population in the western parts of South America. The former part of the deal is believed to be part of a tourism project formulated by the government. It is speculated the latter component of the deal was to try and sooth the worries of environmentalists who worried about the effect of environmental loss on the species. Currently, several zoos from around the world are in the process of purchasing specimens of AF.04 for display purposes and deals are being made in exchange for large sums of money and advertisement of Project [REDACTED].

QM Note: Here is the promised InGen file. What do you guys think, is this too much. I know that Argentavis isn't mentioned in Jurassic Park at all, but I kind of figured that some testing had to be done on how to recreate extinct species and I figured why not the most impressive egg laying animal they could think of. Afterall, this is the same company that remade T Rex, so why not this guy too. If you think this pushes things too much, I can edit it out and replace it something else. I don't mind too much. Should I stick with only what is shown in Jurassic Park canon or do you guys want me to add some other creatures not seen in the Jurassic Park canon in here? I ask because it is a lot easier for me to add stuff then to try and work with only what is known.

Last edited:
Goals:
Vengeance on the Small Mammals (rats)
Find OddFather?: Unlockability ?????

Major Events Ongoing:
???????

Major Events Past:
The Miracle
The Great Dying
????????
Lost Innocence
????????
Just letting everyone know I have gotten around to updating the Goals/Major Events section of the Map.
I think adding stuff like this is cool.
Agreed. This stuff is neat.
Thanks, I think you will like what else I have planned for this Quest. ;)

Today I learned of a new extinct animal!. Do please keep posting this stuff.

Makes me wonder just why animal life today is so diminutive and tame compared to what came before. Seriously, elephants are just pathetic compared to even some extinct land mammals like Indricothere and Deinotherium, never mind the sauropods.

Voting Closed.

If someone could please tally the votes, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I will try to have the next part out sometime soon.

Calling for Rollers!
But before I announce the rolls...
Vote tally:
##### 3.21
No. of votes: 2
Lazurman
Night_stalker

[X] Head for the safety of the tree branches
No. of votes: 1
Smugraptor

[X] Head for Scar-Snout and Blue Gray Sister.
veekie

[X] Ask Slack Jaw what to do.
RandomLurker
Thank you Night_Stalker for doing the tally. I appreciate that you take the time to do it for me.

Rollers are reminded that they are only allowed to roll one of the rolls. Rolls needed are as follows; 2d12, 1d6, 1d12, and 1d20. Thanks for rolling. :)

Rolling 2d12.

Edit: It's been more than 12 hours since @AnimalKrazed called for rolls, so I'm rolling the rest.
Thanks for doing that RandomLurker. I appreciate it. I was about to do a roll myself, then noticed your edit. I honestly appreciate you taking the time to do that. I will do my best to get the next portion out sometime this week. I have a oral French Group Project that I have to work on, so I might be distracted somewhat, but thankfully I also have plenty of freetime with midterms going on for everyone that isn't me.
...About that double crit fail, though, don't worry too much about it. It won't hurt that much...:evil:
AnimalKrazed threw 1 6-faced dice. Reason: Secret Roll Total: 1
1 1

Thanks for doing that RandomLurker. I appreciate it. I was about to do a roll myself, then noticed your edit. I honestly appreciate you taking the time to do that. I will do my best to get the next portion out sometime this week. I have a oral French Group Project that I have to work on, so I might be distracted somewhat, but thankfully I also have plenty of freetime with midterms going on for everyone that isn't me.
...About that double crit fail, though, don't worry too much about it. It won't hurt that much...:evil:
A triple crit-fail now. This is gonna hurt.

Chapter 3:5
Chapter Three: Part Five
Dynamic Iguanadon Entry!

Soundtrack: Disney's Dinosaur 'Across the Desert'

The ground seems to shake under foot as the mid-sized giant erupts from the undergrowth on your side of the clearing. Shaking a crest-less head, air hissing from nostrils perched just before the beginning of the beast's short beak, the large prey takes in the situation it has just wandered into. Taking advantage of the apparent confusion and stupidity of the larger animal, you rush for the closest trees, ignoring the bugling and baying of the Grown as they attempt to buy time for your siblings to get to whatever safety they can by distracting and attacking the intruder.

You huff a breath of relief as you scramble up into the safety of high ground, the coarse feeling of the tree never having felt as good to you as it does now. Getting above the height that you assume the animal can reach, you take in the appearance of the intruder more carefully. It looks a lot like a Bulge-Crest (parasaurolophus) kind-wise, just without the crest on its head. It has a much darker hide than any Bulge-Crest you have ever seen too, almost being the colour of rich mud, with pale stripes of sand colour laying across its back, you have never heard of a Bulge-Crest with those either.

You watch as the beast raises itself onto two hindlegs and swipes a claw, a Bugle-Crests most definitely do not have those, at the closest Grown, Father, who hops back from his position in time to dodge. Most of the beast is still hidden by undergrowth and tall grass, only its front half having left the forest. It leaves you wondering just what the droppings the thing is, you can't remember hearing of anything like this thing before in the stories.

Father, Second Male, and Mother tag-team the beast from the front as best as they can, distracting it from Scar Snout, Second Female, and Scars-Scales who are attempting to flank it. Slack Jaw is occupied trying to watch over your siblings. The prey had come out of the forest closest to the slumbering pack members, and sent Blue-Gray Brother flying some distance with a kick during its entry. He had been startled into sleepily running into it snout-first. The thought of that just makes you wince. Slack Jaw's standing protectively over him, screeching...okay you just learned some new curse words.

Shaking your head to clear out the filth you just heard from the most tenderly of the pack, you take in just how badly hurt your sibling is. It doesn't look too bad from the distance you are at, just some muddied cuts from the rough treatment. He is sure to be cleaned up quick by one of the Grown as soon as this is over you are sure.

Scars-Scales is the first to mount a flank attack on the animal, using Precise-Claws to pierce the thicker hide of the intruder and scores her talons across the hide before her sisters, your aunts, join her. The beast bellows out in pain and charges fully into the clearing, startling everyone enough that it manages to body-check Mother. Father, immediately furious, screams a war-cry and launches himself over the head of the prey, narrowly missing a protective swipe of the spiked forelimbs. He lands, stabilizing himself with a quick jab of the Precise-Claws, and twists himself around to lash out with a forelimb at the prey's neck region.

Scar Snout leaps off, adeptly landing feet first in a ready posture, as the animal attempts to free itself from the pack by slamming itself into the trees around the clearing. The beast is clearly already on its last legs, large chunks of flesh peeled off by claws and jaws and blood seeping from long wounds, subtly surprising you since the stories always told of hunts as long things then what is going on below. You reason out the tracking and chasing of the hunt probably makes them much longer than the dropping of prey into your nest like what is happening now.

Slack Jaw running over to Mother, Blue-Gray Brother in jaw, reminds you of her injuries, so you scamper across the canopy to watch over her as do many of your siblings. You all watch, taking in the absence of blood pooling around her, her blood scent in the air, and any other obvious sign of injury to her body. You caw down to Slack Jaw, though your voice is drowned by the accompanying questions your siblings ask, "Is Mother alright?" Slack Jaw, seemingly understanding the gist of everyone's questions, calls back, "No cuts, no blood wounds. She will be pretty sore come morning, but she will be fine." You and your siblings all sigh breaths of relief as the death-calls of the beast echo through the clearing.

You turn yourself around to watch as Father muffles the crying beast with a Precise-Claw to the neck, the prey having been toppled over on its side at some point in the struggle. Blood spurts out for a few heartbeats but fades to a dribble after that, signifying the death of the intruder. Everyone quickly gathers to the carcass, Father already chomping and clawing away at the hide of the belly to get to the best parts within. Mother slowly makes her way to be beside him and help get at their preferred part of the kill, the inner bit you remember as the first inner bit you ever ate.

What do you Eat? Choose One.
[X] Tongue
[X[ Brain
[X] Muscle and Fats
[X] Stomach
[X] Eyes
OR You could Choose to Write-In an action
[X] Write-In Action

QM Note: I thought the rolls for this round worked out pretty well. Sure, they looked bad without reference to what they were for, but hey it all worked out in the end...:evil: No too bad injuries, though both injuried came close to much worse. You guys lucked out there, your crit fails were mostly harmless, sorry I refuse to try and lie, this round.

Due Date: October 29th, 2015 at 6:00pm.

Rolls:
RandomLurker rolled a 15 for Random Event: Hadrei Herds
Smugraptor rolled a 1 for Grown Injured
RandomLurker rolled a 6 for how badly injured.
RandomLurker rolled a 9 for which Sibling is injured and a 6 for how badly.

Last edited:
Back