Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Didn't we use a bunch of EIC money to buy up all the ithilmar in the first place? If we loot the eonir books instead of picking something liquid, are we gonna take a big income hit to pay back the EIC?
Boney said that no matter what, the EIC will be compensated for what they invested in the ithilmar.

I would presume that if we go with books, the primary shareholder of the EIC will coordinate with the Head Librarian of Karak Eight Peaks to have the books be bought by the library there for a fair exchange of money.

Given the relationship between Ranald, 'friends', cats and Morr, I kind of see it less as 'free of the whims of fate' and more that it's likely that Mathilde's death will relate primarily to her adherence to Ranald.
Ranald will leave us, and Morr will step in.

Still, that's better than some can hope for. Not getting to Morr is explicitly on the little roll table.

Ranald will leave us, and Morr will step in.

Still, that's better than some can hope for. Not getting to Morr is explicitly on the little roll table.

True, and to be clear I don't think it's a bad thing. How Doomings play out is often very figurative and prophetic - a lot of different ways for them to be met.

For instance, the way I interpreted it was - where Mathilde's Doom might have been met any number of other ways, the way it happened makes me think Ranald kind of hijacked it with the cat - but commensurately, because Doomings do refer to the manner in which one literally dies, because Ranald has taken over Mathilde's Doom, her friendship to him (with him being 'Morr') will eventually be what kills her.

That would be the narratively meaningful version, of course. Mathilde becoming drinking buddies with a guy nicknamed 'Big Death Man', him crit failing a black powder roll and blowing her head clean off would also fulfill the terms of her Doom and be perfectly legitimate.

I mean, the literal meaning is still on the table. Mathilde will be abandoned in some way and die alone. I would say it's not even a huge stretch, depending on why and how she's abandoned.

Why care about a Dooming when you can just never die. -Immortality gang

Really though- this is a quest. If the dice come up 'Mathilde dies', then that'll happen regardless of whether the circumstances fit the Dooming.

For me, the Dooming is only interesting in the way it informs on Mathilde's character- that is, in the way she reacted to it and intentionally 'cheated' it. Its not actually predictive, except inasmuch as its vague enough to be easily applied to most of the most likely forms of death.

The way I see it, the times when Mathilde has come closest to dying already have been when she was on solo missions - infiltrating Karag Lhune, assassinating that one Orc Boss, and trying to gank Alkharad. The latter two even happened very close to one another. That's not quite 'abandoned', but they were definitely alone.

It's not a super meaningful observation, given that people are inherently more vulnerable when going off on solo missions, but it's still true.

Narratively, there's something to say about how she lived in the initial Battle of the Drakenhofs because she was fighting alongside Abelhelm and took up his sword, how when assassinating the Black Orc Priests she was saved by Ranald, how her several assaults on the Skaven alongside Johann went swimmingly, how Ranald and Ljiljana saved her life from the Khorne berserker when she was fighting the Kul, and how she successfully took down Alberich because she wasn't a lone wolf but part of a group hunting him down.

Last edited:
The way I see it, the times when Mathilde has come closest to dying already have been when she was on solo missions - infiltrating Karag Lhune, assassinating that one Orc Boss, and trying to gank Alkharad. The latter two even happened very close to one another. That's not quite 'abandoned', but they were definitely alone.

It's not a super meaningful observation, given that people are inherently more vulnerable when going off on solo missions, but it's still true.

Narratively, there's something to say about how she lived in the initial Battle of the Drakenhofs because she was fighting alongside Abelhelm and took up his sword, how when assassinating the Black Orc Priests she was saved by Ranald, how her several assaults on the Skaven alongside Johann went swimmingly, how Ranald and Ljiljana saved her life from the Khorne berserker when she was fighting the Kul, and how she successfully took down Alberich because she wasn't a lone wolf but part of a group hunting him down.

I mean it also could have been a priest with zero god juice who gave the Dooming, rendering it null and void. Doomings are mostly just fun to talk about / a way for the GM to foreshadow to an observant player that they're going into a dangerous encounter in the actual tabletop system.

Why care about a Dooming when you can just never die. -Immortality gang
You could argue that immortality of the "outlive everyone and everything you've ever known or loved" form would fit into that dooming quite well. Especially since those stories often end with the immortal accepting death, or interacting with a personification of it. Perhaps for an ascendant Mathilde, Morr's friendship is literal rather than a euphemism.

Last edited:
What makes the difference for me is that if we want to spend time helping out the EIC, there are any number of things we can do. But if we want these irreplaceable magical secrets, we HAVE to get them from the Library of Mourning, and it HAS to be through a favor that has military value.

This won't happen on it's own like EIC expansion will, and we have no guarantee of getting it again in the future.
Okay this sold me on Books, my initial preference was to reinvest funds back into the company for maximum profit over time, but there are still ways for us to do that with other actions so I'm switching:

[X] [ITHILMAR] Books, primarily restricted books on magic with everything else secondary.

[X] The Festival Lord
[X] Initiate
[X] Dooming and Quickening
[X] Entrance Examination

Also @Boney some questions if you could confirm:
1. Precious Stones has less monetary value if spent directly on Elfcation if we don't wait to favorably exchange it for gold right?
2. If we barter ithilmar for books, they're basically giving us a free copy of the entire Library of Mournings with their scribes/actions and only leaving out spellbooks right?
3. If we copy their library, do we have the license to share them with others without consulting the Eonir?
4. Just to check, would you be counting the two different votes for Books separately or together? As I'm concerned that the leading write-in which specifies "primarily restricted books on magic" will split the vote tbh.
5. How old is Egrimm compared to Mathilde again? I'm not sure if this was asked before - mainly wondering how their careers/feats compare in-character.

Last edited:
You could argue that immortality of the "outlive everyone and everything you've ever known or loved" form would fit into that dooming quite well. Especially since those stories often end with the immortal accepting death, or interacting with a personification of it. Perhaps for an ascendant Mathilde, Morr's friendship is literal rather than a euphemism.

"Outlive everyone you know" is only a problem if you just, don't make any new friends ever?

It assumes a static and unchanging person who will cling only to the people they got to know in their first century or so and afterwards just wallow in misery and loneliness forever. Its not a trope I'm fond of.

(Also Mathilde already knows several beings with lifespans measured in millennia at least.)

Ok, I've been convinced to vote for books on the basis that the Trade option doesn't get us anything new, it just speeds up how quickly Laurelorn and the Empire build economic ties, which both polities are already quite interested in doing on their own.

Not only would we get a lot of books with the Books option, we get books that are only available because we're supplying a significant military trade good in return. I don't think we'll ever have another opportunity to give them something of significant military value again.

[X] [ITHILMAR] Books
[X] [ITHILMAR] Books, primarily restricted books on magic with everything else secondary.

(I'm annoyed that there's two options that do the exact same thing.)

[X] Initiate
[X] Entrance Examination
[X] Druchii Diplomats
[X] Witch Hunter

People were insistent that we should do the ithilmar thing for money.
So i am voting for trade goods or gems, because those translate to money.
If the money argument had not been such a prominent driver of the action, i would be voting for books, but it wasn't.
We wanted to get money to acquire things with money, which is what other votes are capable of on their own, cutting out the middleman. Whoever told you that the plan was to hoard our wealth until the end of time was incorrect.

Last edited:
Didn't we use a bunch of EIC money to buy up all the ithilmar in the first place? If we loot the eonir books instead of picking something liquid, are we gonna take a big income hit to pay back the EIC?
From what I understand, Boney said every option will reimburse the money spent by the EIC on ithilmar. The vote is on what the profits on top of that will be spent on:
Mathilde will be paying back the EIC's expenses with every option.

[X] Initiate
[X] Entrance Examination
[X] Witch Hunter
[X] The Festival Lord

Well, I was really hoping that the orb flex would get a lot more traction than it has. Oh well, it looks that option is up a creek without a paddle.

I like the orb flex primarily because I think there will be little or no difference whether we deliver it before or with the book, and I think an extra few months of orb usage and/or planning would be good for the colleges.

I also worry a tiny bit that delaying the orb flex until everything is "perfect," is a little bit akin to training the sword style incessantly. (That was confirmed to be slaanesh bait, right)

Also, am I the only one who for forever thought Slaanesh was female? Apparently he's not?

Last edited:
Well, I was really hoping that the orb flex would get a lot more traction than it has. Oh well, it looks that option is up a creek without a paddle.
The canoe will float lazily down the creek until it reaches its intended destination next turn. Take heart, six months isn't too long a wait.

EDIT:
Also, am I the only one who for forever thought Slaanesh was female? Apparently he's not?
Slaanesh is male, female, both, and neither. The eldar call her She-Who-Thirsts, others call him the Dark Prince. The vast majority of Warhammer fans refer to or depict Slaanesh as female though.

Last edited:

I like the orb flex primarily because I think there will be little or no difference whether we deliver it before or with the book, and I think an extra few months of orb usage and/or planning would be good for the colleges.

I also worry a tiny bit that delaying the orb flex until everything is "perfect," is a little bit akin to training the sword style incessantly. (That was confirmed to be slaanesh bait, right)

The Giga Flex is the intended result of a thread which has demonstrated a capacity for literally real life years of delayed gratification. It will happen perfectly (and then probably feel a bit hollow because it can't quite match up to how it was like in the quester's heads, but that's a problem for the long-form quest format rather than player behavior).

Practicing your sword skills for only six extra months to go from really good to among the best is also perfectly reasonable in a world of constant melee violence. It's strange because we normally do things much more quickly than that, but for a normal person it was a perfectly reasonable stretch of time that wouldn't get a second look.

Finally, I am given to understand that Slaanesh is a kind of gender fluid (noun).

@Boney I know it's kind of unfair because it would make the EIC option just straight up better than the other monetary options. But I still want to ask because it would benefit Mathilde :

Couldn't we just take the EIC option and "lend" the value of the trade good to the EIC instead of just giving it away to the organisation. Couldn't the EIC give us back the money (or at least a lot of it) pretty quickly either through loans, selling the trade goods or simply raising the share of Mathilde's holding in the company?

The EIC can't take advantage of the opportunity of the trade goods to rapidly expand without funds to do so. The EIC has first mover advantage, but the existing trade companies they're trying to muscle in on the territory of have all the infrastructure and local relationships, and the EIC's advantage will peter out if it's not capitalized on quickly. If you want cash money, there's already an option to get it.

After all, the proceeds of the Ilithmar sale was supposed to be solely Mathilde's, giving the proceeds of the sales to EIC is basicly giving away money to the other shareholders. Normaly if one member of a company makes a huge influx of their own capital, either the others would need to do the same, or they'd thus buy a bigger share of the company.

Wilhelmina is dedicating most of her waking hours to the EIC, and the other shareholders are nobles that use their power and influence to give the EIC advantages all the time. That people aren't counting the value of their contributions and demanding restitution by shares is as much to Mathilde's advantage as it is the others.

...Incidentally, @Boney would it be safe to assume that Eike's reached the point where we could start assigning her things that we would normally be doing, to not only save time but also challenge her and give her more practical experience? Like, telling her to go establish some EIC agents in Middenland or Nordland? Or telling her to go improve the EIC's paramilitary river navy?

You can get her to do things and some of those things might get done, but they're not going to get done to anything like the same standard as if Mathilde did it.

Also @Boney some questions if you could confirm:
1. Precious Stones has less monetary value if spent directly on Elfcation if we don't wait to favorably exchange it for gold right?
2. If we barter ithilmar for books, they're basically giving us a free copy of the entire Library of Mournings with their scribes/actions and only leaving out spellbooks right?
3. If we copy their library, do we have the license to share them with others without consulting the Eonir?
4. Just to check, would you be counting the two different votes for Books separately or together? As I'm concerned that the leading write-in which specifies "primarily restricted books on magic" will split the vote tbh.
5. How old is Egrimm compared to Mathilde again? I'm not sure if this was asked before - mainly wondering how their careers/feats compare in-character.

1. I'd phrase it as stones having more monetary value if you wait to favourably exchange it, but yes.
2. There might be other narrow slices they'd leave out ("How Nordland Might Get Through All Our Defences", say), but yes.
3. Not explicitly, but it wouldn't have been forbidden either.
4. Together.
5. From memory he might be slightly older? It might have been specified when he was first introduced, if someone feels like delving - I think it would have been one of the first updates of the Karag Dum Expedition.

5. From memory he might be slightly older? It might have been specified when he was first introduced, if someone feels like delving - I think it would have been one of the first updates of the Karag Dum Expedition.
Mathilde describes him as "young" but I cannot find anything else about his age.
The final Wizards arrive as a group - a handsome and well-groomed young Magister that must be Egrimm van Horstmann
She's thirty-six at the time, so it's unclear whether she's saying "young" in the sense of "a young man" or in the sense of "young for a Magister". My money is on the latter; regardless, it kind of feels implied that he's younger than she is, or at least appears to be? Something something magic is a great preservative something.

[X] [ITHILMAR] A copy of the Library of Mournings, including most restricted texts.
[X] Initiate
[X] Entrance Examination
[X] Skull River Ambush
[X] Druchii Diplomats
[X] Middenland
[X] Sarvoi

Last edited:
[X] [ITHILMAR] Trade Goods
[X] Initiate
[X] Entrance Examination
[X] Witch Hunter
[X] Skull River Ambush

Back