The Boomtown Rats were a much better band than the Sex Pistols.

"Sandstorm" by Darude isn't a bad song, it just got overplayed to the point of being annoying.

"Rock & Roll Parts 1&2" by Gary Glitter is still a really good song (or songs) even if the man himself is a massive nonce.

I actually like Königgrätzer Marsch despite the negative connotations associated with it. It's still used today by the 2nd Battalion of the Jamaican Regiment and the Chilean Army.

Their songs just don't feel like they have got much substance to them. Sort of like Fall Out Boy, there are some nice, ear wormy hooks, but there isn't much else to them or much complexity to the structure. It kind of feels like biting into a cupcake and finding out it is icing all the way through.
Yeah but sometimes you just want that you. don't need a soul look into the soul of mankind. Just some fun pop song

there is literally no good music

Article:
Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website.

According to the review, authored by Pitchfork editor-in-chief Ryan Schreiber, the popular medium that predates the written word shows promise but nonetheless "leaves the listener wanting more."
Schreiber's semi-favorable review, which begins in earnest after a six-paragraph preamble comprising a long list of baroquely rendered, seemingly unrelated anecdotes peppered with obscure references, summarizes music as a "solid but uninspired effort."
"In the end, though music can be brilliant at times, the whole medium comes off as derivative of Pavement."
Schreiber concludes his critique by calling on music to develop a more cohesive sound in its future releases.

Last edited:
Thrash metal is nice and all, but it would be better if it was all just death metal.

I will never agree with the Confederate States of America or their stance on slavery, but I've recently taken a liking to their song, "I Wish I Was in Dixie Land."

True.

My usual go tos for that are 80s rock or disco.

I don't know if you are serious, but that is actually some people's opinion. They just don't experience music as anything special, just a bunch of unconnected sounds.
I've actually experienced this a few times, where I'm listening to music and as the next song starts up, for a few bars I can't hear the song I just hear a bunch of noises then it all just clicks into a song that I've heard a hundred times before. It's extremely surreal.

Edit: Thread tax: I like Metallica's Load and Reload albums.

Last edited:
I've come to despise Take me home, Country Road with a passion.

The best party music ever made was '90s G-Funk, which reached its undeniable apex with either Montell Jordan's This Is How We Do It or Tupac and Dre's California Love.

The best party music ever made was '90s G-Funk, which reached its undeniable apex with either Montell Jordan's This Is How We Do It or Tupac and Dre's California Love.
Snoop Dogg's 'Gin And Juice' has to be up there too.

Also, for a not-really-that-unpopular opinion:

"I believe in G-O-D/Don't believe in T-H-O-T" , from Masked Wolf's 'Astronaut in the Ocean', has got to be the worst line in any rap song I've ever heard. I've heard anti-vax bars that were less embarrassing than this.

I hate any form of metal that involves the stereotypical growl*.

LEARN TO SING!

*If that's what it's called. I'm not sure.

I hate any form of metal that involves the stereotypical growl*.

LEARN TO SING!

*If that's what it's called. I'm not sure.
Plenty of them do know how to sing. But normal singing lacks the brute and raw forcefulness of a growl and thus fails to achieve the purpose of the vocals. Its not supposed to sound melodic and pretty, its supposed to conjure the image of a demon roaring out into the shadowy storm. Besides, if one tries to sing over the wall of sound made by the heavily distorted guitars, bass and frantically beating drums, it either sounds distant and detached, as in doom metal, or weak and ineffectual, as in bad music.

Geordie Greep is the ideal male vocalist. You may not like him, but this is what peak performance looks like:

Other preferred vocal techniques to merely 'singing' or 'growling' are:

Recording yourself reciting a poem about your imaginary friend multiple times and playing them over each other out of sync (Michael Gira):

Angry, incoherent ranting (Alexis Marshall):

(see also, Death Grips)

And constipated mumbling into a bad microphone (Jamie Stewart):

Besides, if one tries to sing over the wall of sound made by the heavily distorted guitars, bass and frantically beating drums, it either sounds distant and detached, as in doom metal, or weak and ineffectual, as in bad music.
That sounds like someone with an insufficiently powerful voice for their chosen genre.

Besides, if one tries to sing over the wall of sound made by the heavily distorted guitars, bass and frantically beating drums, it either sounds distant and detached, as in doom metal, or weak and ineffectual, as in bad music.
Or powerful, confident, and bombastic.

Like, Rob Halford is More Metal Than You, and Bruce Dickinson is probably More Metal Than You, and they can both. fucking.

SING.

Growling is fine. It's a distinct technique (or family of techniques, I dunno) that takes plenty of practice and control to master properly and a good grasp of songwriting to deploy effectively. Not that I really have a sense for what's effective and what's not, since I've never really found anything in that style that appeals to me. Closest I've come is Infest the Rat's Nest, which is I get the sense is, like, My First Thrash Metal Album and vocal chops have never exactly been King Gizzard's main selling point.

I don't really get all the fuss tbh. Vocals don't actually need to dominate the mix and a lot of the time it sounds better when they blend in to the soundscape or let other stuff take the spotlight. I'm not the biggest Dopesmoker fan or anything, but I'm pretty sure Halford doing his thing on it would make it like 10x worse. And if we're being honest, all the interesting vocals are in rap these days anyway. Gimme Danny Brown, Kendrick Lamar or even Playboi fucking Carti over Mike Patton any day of the week, even if Mike's meant to be like the greatest male vocalist of all time or whatever. Guy sounds goofy as fuck and not in a good way.

I do find it kinda funny though that as metal gets more and more extreme it gets noisier and heavier until you hit black metal and then shit gets like borderline ambient sometimes.

Back