Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Post your bad music-related opinions here. Or else.
OP Threadmark Woo

CallMeIsmail

The best songs are like bad dreams
Pronouns
She/They
Even though MGK lost the beef pretty decisively Rap Devil is not only a great diss track, it's a damn good rap song.

Right then, here's a bunch of mine to get things going:

Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez is the worst Gorillaz studio album (not including the B-sides compilations but including The Fall).

Vaudeville Villain was DOOM's best album.

Yeezus was ok but not amazing. It's also the best Kanye album.

Paraffin is the worst Armand Hammer album, Shrines is the best.

Forget is the best Xiu Xiu album.

Richard D. James Album is one of Aphex Twin's weaker albums, on par with Syro.

That Andrew Adamson "feature" on Year of the Snitch was extremely lame and it's easily Death Grips' worst album.

None Shall Pass (the album, not the song) is alright, but nowhere near Aesop Rock's best.

Zo Zhit of Dos Monos is the best hip-hop producer alive right now.

billy woods is the greatest rapper of all time.

Third > Portishead > Dummy.

JPEGMAFIA's best project is The 2nd Amendment EP, despite the gross anti-semitic line on the last track.

The Night's Gambit is the best Ka album, while Honor Killed the Samurai is kinda overrated.

Somehow, 'Wash Us in the Blood' is Kanye's best song. I'm confused too.

Humanz was a fantastic album, actually.

'7 Rings' is a pretty good song.

leaving meaning. is the best 2010s Swans album.

Last edited:
Jeff Wayne's Thunder Child could be a great song but it is hamstrung by an awkward chorus and the dopey lick that follows the dramatic strings in the main melodic phrase.
I despise that lick and have done so ever since I first heard the song at thirteen.

Those Once Loyal is the best Bolt Thrower record.

Lethargica followed by the title track are the best songs on ObZen.

Anesthesia (Pulling teeth)
is not a good track.

The musical aesthetic is a serious detriment to Blå Tåget's Den ena handen vet vad den andra gör. There is a reason why the punk cover of the song is more famous and also better.

Chords aren't that important really.

I prefer the tone of the average female growler to the average male growler.

Listening to the works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is the auditory equivalent of eating a block of butter. Plain. Without preparing it first in some shape or form

I prefer the tone of the average female growler to the average male growler.
Coincidentally, I was listening to Arch Enemy when I read this post.

Unpopular music opinion...

I like both of the readily available versions of "Temple of Love" equally.

St. Anger is good actually

OK for an opinion I actually hold, I think Bismarck is just a worse version of Wolfpack (and in general dislike the production of newer Sabaton albums).

The Beatles are overrated.
Well, I guess Piero Scaruffi's infamous rant/copypasta is appropriate for this thread:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Well, I guess Piero Scaruffi's infamous rant/copypasta is appropriate for this thread:
Well, in regards to that I would express the apparently unpopular opinion that people who try to rank different musical genres/styles by their "sophistication" and how close they are to "serious art" are, invariably, a bunch of wankers. I've yet to see any argument supporting such a stance that isn't in some way founded in some kind of cultural chauvinism, whether it be of a nationalist or classist sort.

Like, I don't think there is a coincidence that the two genres that he, and many others, cite as being "serious art" are the music of the European ecclestiastical and upper classes and the earliest musical style of the USA that won international success and acclaim. That is, the musical heritage of the world's premier superpower.

Of course what such people tend to ignore, is that their predecessors were quite busy gatekeeping jazz out of that vaunted space of "serious art" back when it was the popular style and certainly before white musicians had managed to appropriate the style and sell it to "serious audiences/connoisseurs" which of course generally means middle-to-upper-class people of European descent.

But now there are academic institutions dedicated entirely to jazz and with the historical context of it being an early and unique cultural export of America, it is only natural that it would come to be elevated to "high and serious art". That was of course also made easier by there being a new kid on the block to pick on.

(For clarity's sake, none of the above is meant to be an attack on you or your beliefs, just the commonly repeated views of the man you cited)

Progressive rock is actually the best rock music.
With the caveat that I personally wouldn't view (most) metal as being a subgenre of rock, I agree with you.

Last edited:
While Enya is amazing and Orinoco Flow is a great song, the two don't actually work that well together.

I like Imagine Dragons
Their songs just don't feel like they have got much substance to them. Sort of like Fall Out Boy, there are some nice, ear wormy hooks, but there isn't much else to them or much complexity to the structure. It kind of feels like biting into a cupcake and finding out it is icing all the way through.

(IDK if this is an unpopular opinion but i don't think there's a more apropriate thread at the moment). People need to stop bitching about modern music being worst than old music,it's subjective anyway.

My perspective of prog pretentiousness is that it basically boils down to either boomers carrying on about how music peaked with Pink Floyd, or stereotypical Tool fans, neither of whom I'd regard as being too indicative of the entire genre. And, yeah, punk's hilariously full of wankers and gatekeepers.

That said, the best genre of rock music is noise rock, with The Drones single-handedly catapulting punk blues to second place.

My perspective of prog pretentiousness is that it basically boils down to either boomers carrying on about how music peaked with Pink Floyd, or stereotypical Tool fans, neither of whom I'd regard as being too indicative of the entire genre. And, yeah, punk's hilariously full of wankers and gatekeepers.

That said, the best genre of rock music is noise rock, with The Drones single-handedly catapulting punk blues to second place.
Is Zeppelin really prog? I always thought they were blues influenced rock like the Stones.

Of course I guess that isn't a super clear line. BOC is kind of ambiguous, too.

ETA: yes I am that sort of prog fan. I apologize for nothing.

Last edited:
Is Zeppelin really prog? I always thought they were blues influenced rock like the Stones.

Of course I guess that isn't a super clear line. BOC is kind of ambiguous, too.

ETA: yes I am that sort of prog fan. I apologize for nothing.
RYM labels both as 'Hard Rock' first, then 'Blues Rock', 'Folk Rock' and 'Pop Rock' for Zeppelin while Blue Öyster Cult goes straight to 'Pop Rock' followed by 'Adult Oriented Rock' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean), and 'Heavy Metal' in fourth place.

Those are, therefore, the objectively correct labels for each band. I don't make the rules.

RYM labels both as 'Hard Rock' first, then 'Blues Rock', 'Folk Rock' and 'Pop Rock' for Zeppelin while Blue Öyster Cult goes straight to 'Pop Rock' followed by 'Adult Oriented Rock' (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean), and 'Heavy Metal' in fourth place.

Those are, therefore, the objectively correct labels for each band. I don't make the rules.
Props for employing the umlauts.

umlauts are played out and bands should explore other diacritical marks.

Back