Hah. Would it be an unpopular opinion if I said that there's a decent percentage of Christmas music that is actually enjoyable?

Such as this, for example.

The problem isn't so much Christmas music as a genra but just how much it's played

I'm listening to His World (Zebrahead, Sonic 2006) and like...this song is complete ass lyrics wise. Like it's still good to vibe to but like...bruh. I used to get hype to this? Goddamn.

If Halloween wants to get dominant as a holiday it's going to need more than the approximately single cd of good music it has.
There's more than twelve Christmas songs?

Also Halloween doesn't need anything but remixes of Spooky Scary Skeletons.

The guitar solo in "Seasons in the Abyss" is completely pointless and the song would be better without it.

Depends. Is it long enough to give another band member time to nip backstage to take a piss without the audience noticing when played live?
Not really. The solo's only a minute long; it still manages to feel pointless.

All songs are worth listening to, at least halfway, once.

ok I have a rant

JPEGMAFIA has completely fallen off as an artist and it's increasingly painful to watch. This is not about him recently collaborating with Kanye West, as amusingly hypocritical as it was considering his past lyrics about Kanye West and Burzum, though I think that represents the culmination of how his art has declined over the past few years.

The problem starts, as cliche as this is and as snobby as this makes me sound, with his first album after signing to a major label. JPEGMAFIA's work leading up to then (Black Ben Carson, The 2nd Amendment and Veteran) was often criticised for being edgelord-y and often justifiably so but fuck me at least there was some kind of passion to it, as well as clear artistic intent.

LP! and Scaring the Hoes, his two latest albums, also his acclaimed and successful, largely feature him basically spouting memes and showing off how terminally online he is while hiding his vocals behind increasingly 'zany' production (i.e. throwing unusual samples at the wall and hoping something sticks), which is technically impressive but to be an absolute ass for a moment anyone actually 'blown away' by his recent work would probably melt listening to any given thirty second snippet of Dos Siki 2nd Season, which is basically everything JPEGMAFIA is trying to do but better.

Like yeah, the guy used to say 3edgy5me stuff about other artists and making an R&B track out of dashcam audio of a police officer getting stabbed to death was, uh, a bit much (even with the context that it's footage recycled in training sessions to encourage police violence), but him stripping all that edge off in favour of cringe twitter music nerd meme shit about 'scaring the hoes', only to then do a photoshoot with Kanye West (a man he literally promised on his breakout album that he would never become) while he's wearing explicit Neo-Nazi band merch is just fucking embarrassing, man.

My second hot take which is sort of similar is that I don't like how Black Country, New Road did this thing where they initially released/previewed a song with skeevy or uncomfortable lyrics, and then rewrote it later for the official release to make it safer and more palatable. In particular, I'm thinking of how the original version of 'Sunglasses' climaxed (heh) with the singer's girlfriend telling him to fuck her like he means it next time, and how 'Basketball Shoes' used to explicitly describe a wet dream about Charli XCX rather than a fictional woman named Charlie (lol). So everyone following the band knows what the songs originally did but then the album versions suppress the excesses.

Moreover I think, especially given the fact that the band looks like someone typed "gang of preppy white Oxbridge hipsters" into DALL-E and that their lead singer for this period sang with the most 'sexually repressed upper-class English twit' voice imaginable (and wrote that way too), that it would have been much more creatively interesting if they'd actually committed to the bit of being weirdly unpleasant wankers instead of sanding off the edges to become a boring indie rock band. They don't even seem to incorporate klezmer into their sound anymore, which was like the most instrumentally interesting thing about them in the first place!

Last edited:
I don't like the music of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance that much.

Partly because the instrumentals drown out the lyrics to the point it's basically impossible to understand them.

EGMAFIA has completely fallen off as an artist and it's increasingly painful to watch...
My second hot take which is sort of similar is that I don't like how Black Country, New Road did this thing...
I had never heard of either of these acts before, and I kind of wish I hadn't.

Also, since he came up, controversial but not necessarily unpopular opinion: Kanye West used to be a genuinely good artist.

Ismail stop posting cognitohazards for people who have never even heard of RYM

Back