Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
So, I read the epilogue of FoD again, and it was mentioned by the Duchess that 18 months after we got promoted to Inner Sect, there would be a Tri-Wiz...sorry, Tri-Sect competition between the 3 largest sects of Emerald Hills, and CRX was charged to lead a team to win it. What happened to that contest? Did it get overshadowed by the sudden war?

So, I read the epilogue of FoD again, and it was mentioned by the Duchess that 18 months after we got promoted to Inner Sect, there would be a Tri-Wiz...sorry, Tri-Sect competition between the 3 largest sects of Emerald Hills, and CRX was charged to lead a team to win it. What happened to that contest? Did it get overshadowed by the sudden war?

We had a choice, to do sect competition, or to do diplomatic summit ourselves.

I am unsure if in this continuity tournament happened, but it should have been happening around same time as the summit itself. (Knowing the empire, it probably happened but...)

Edit - added the question about it to weekly Q&A, we should find out for sure best Wednesday.

Last edited:

[] Take a central role in diplomacy with the White Sky
[] Remain in your current place and maintain your current goals.

The choice was between doing Sect stuff and the Summit, and in the following sections we get the fief related stuff as well. Duchess Cai essentially stated that if we didn't want to stay in school we were going to get adult responsibilities.

So instead of a tournament we got sheep and PT.

There is a space between the two, though - where you can keep up enough to meaningfully contribute, even if you aren't at "fight by their side as a peer" level. I mean, Ling Qi is in the condition that she's in because of a Most Triumphant Example of just that, and while it was a serious cost to her... well, staying within a great realm or two should be pretty doable, yes? The distance between Ling Qi and the Terrible Engine of Progress was pretty large.

Yeah, because fundamentally, Ling Qi unless she completely fucks up her schedule is almost certain to be 4th Realm by twenty, when twenty-three was regarded as very, very prodigious. If she's only dating people who can exactly and precisely match her in Cultivation than before too long (talking in the next few decades), if she doesn't slow down--and I don't think she will--she'll be forced to either date a small pool of people on the super-genius path, or people considerably older than her... who she might then surpass on the road upwards given time.

Ling Qi's pace basically necessitates understanding that not everyone is her if she wants to maintain friendships or create romantic relationships.

I posit that turtle-simp-boi will speed up his cultivation (if that's even an issue) if sufficiently motivated by someone tall, dark, and constantly-endangering-herself (us).

Yeah, because fundamentally, Ling Qi unless she completely fucks up her schedule is almost certain to be 4th Realm by twenty, when twenty-three was regarded as very, very prodigious. If she's only dating people who can exactly and precisely match her in Cultivation than before too long (talking in the next few decades), if she doesn't slow down--and I don't think she will--she'll be forced to either date a small pool of people on the super-genius path, or people considerably older than her... who she might then surpass on the road upwards given time.

Ling Qi's pace basically necessitates understanding that not everyone is her if she wants to maintain friendships or create romantic relationships.

Ehh I feel like you're taking her statement TOO literally. Lq isn't worried about them keeping up with her 1-1 ,and reaching white with her. That's honestly not something most of not any of the husbando options can actually do even XS as the recources involved would be setting breaking to have both lq and her husband with little generational ducal wealth backing both of them achieve . Then again bullshit times /heroic age so who knows.

The issue is a fundamental difference of priorities and ambitions here . Lq isn't wrong to feel that as someone who's trying to achieve basically godhood she shouldn't have to settle for someone whose ambition is small .

In the chapter where she talks about relationships with meng Dan she outright says she isn't sure what she wants but she wants someone who can keep up. Now obviously some can interpret this as cultivation , but I interpret this as someone who can stay by her side and is willing to keep climbing /have great ambitions as well . They can still cap at indigo /prism and it would be fine! Ideal even! Most of our suitors are count+ scions with generational genetic backing so it's very feasible with enough recources and ambitions !

Unfortunately at the moment bq just isn't that. His ambitions are frankly small in comparison to the other guys. He wants to make a successful buisness outside his families influence so he can say he did it himself. Start a family and live a comfortable life. THATS GREAT , a very normal dream. But it isn't on lqs level , someone who wants to change the world , overthrow the current duke , etc etc.

Meng Dan said he wants to be by her side already when she makes history , xuan shi has great ambitions as well and wants to explore . We don't know what the other guys want yet but it's not unreasonable for lq to have "ambitious " on her dating profile reqs

Ehh I feel like you're taking her statement TOO literally. Lq isn't worried about them keeping up with her 1-1 ,and reaching white with her. That's honestly not something most of not any of the husbando options can actually do even XS as the recources involved would be setting breaking to have both lq and her husband with little generational ducal wealth backing both of them achieve . Then again bullshit times /heroic age so who knows.

The issue is a fundamental difference of priorities and ambitions here . Lq isn't wrong to feel that as someone who's trying to achieve basically godhood she shouldn't have to settle for someone whose ambition is small .

In the chapter where she talks about relationships with meng Dan she outright says she isn't sure what she wants but she wants someone who can keep up. Now obviously some can interpret this as cultivation , but I interpret this as someone who can stay by her side and is willing to keep climbing /have great ambitions as well . They can still cap at indigo /prism and it would be fine! Ideal even! Most of our suitors are count+ scions with generational genetic backing so it's very feasible with enough recources and ambitions !

Unfortunately at the moment bq just isn't that. His ambitions are frankly small in comparison to the other guys. He wants to make a successful buisness outside his families influence so he can say he did it himself. Start a family and live a comfortable life. THATS GREAT , a very normal dream. But it isn't on lqs level , someone who wants to change the world , overthrow the current duke , etc etc.

Meng Dan said he wants to be by her side already when she makes history , xuan shi has great ambitions as well and wants to explore . We don't know what the other guys want yet but it's not unreasonable for lq to have "ambitious " on her dating profile reqs
Ah but Bao Qian was just implying he was having second thoughts about that level of ambition...
We know from the last commission from his pov that he's really going to have go at it this time.
I'm hyped!

Ah but Bao Qian was just implying he was having second thoughts about that level of ambition...
We know from the last commission from his pov that he's really going to have go at it this time.
I'm hyped!

The thing is his ambition isn't even bad! When he met lq she was a young new baroness/college student who lucked out by securing a position as renxiangs left hand. Even lq herself didn't really fully know what she wanted to do in life .

They had time to court and work things out together as a typical courtship would usually entail . He had been chosen because out of the candidates his family felt he was the best fit at that time with what they knew of qi.

The issue again is that lq as she stated in the latest chapter has changed. It's been a hectic few months , her dreams have solidified more and she's become extremely ambitious in her goals .

It's perfectly reasonable that they just aren't that compatible anymore , maybe in another universe or if different decisions were made it would be so but sadly much like gu tai they were great guys at the wrong time.

It's not narratively satisfying to have his goals/ambitions change simply to suit lqs rather then them come from character growth / tribulations .

Both meng Dan and xuan shi had extremely personal things happen to them , their families etc that really pushed forward that narrative growth that I just don't see bq getting as the merchant archetype .

Maybe if his dreams from the start had been something like " I want to make the largest trade network this side of ES " or something greedy from the start it could have matched . But it's not.

As for the interlude , that was set months ago irl /in universe if not longer and again things have changed .

Maybe he'll suddenly start trying harder , who knows , but as is currently I do feel like it would be ok if he just stood as our merchant friend making room for the other 5-6 possible candidates to have some space

Speaking of Bao Qian, I'm happy for him. He's about to get a front row seat to Ling Qi performing live. And not only that, and improvisational and Way-defining piece! Great experience for a fan of the arts.

And it might be only the second time he's heard Ling Qi play? I could easily be forgetting something, but all that comes to mind is the song we gifted to Xiulan.

It's gonna be fun seeing Bao Qian's response to Ling Qi's raw, unfiltered artistry. He gets to see how broken brained Ling Qi is. 👍

It's not narratively satisfying to have his goals/ambitions change simply to suit lqs rather then them come from character growth / tribulations .

I fully agree with this. At the same time, he's one of the only ones with matrimonial attachment as a clearly stated intent, and if he's going to drop that intent for narrative space, then it's just as unsatisfying to just never talk about it again and pretend that it didn't exist, and pretend they both knew it was never going to work out.

For someone carving COMMUNICATION into her soul, playing dumb with BQ and avoiding the subject for however long should give her a heart demon. So they need to address the issue about whether things have changed between them one way or another.

I fully agree with this. At the same time, he's one of the only ones with matrimonial attachment as a clearly stated intent, and if he's going to drop that intent for narrative space, then it's just as unsatisfying to just never talk about it again and pretend that it didn't exist, and pretend they both knew it was never going to work out.

For someone carving COMMUNICATION into her soul, playing dumb with BQ and avoiding the subject for however long should give her a heart demon. So they need to address the issue about whether things have changed between them one way or another.

She's also worked in sufficient wiggle room that she isn't forced to be maximally blunt or to pursue truth even if it conflicts with her other goals. If he comes to the conclusion that the courting attempt isn't going to work out long-term, and she believes that as well, then her leaving the matter there is perfectly compatible with her Way.

She's also worked in sufficient wiggle room that she isn't forced to be maximally blunt or to pursue truth even if it conflicts with her other goals. If he comes to the conclusion that the courting attempt isn't going to work out long-term, and she believes that as well, then her leaving the matter there is perfectly compatible with her Way.

There needs to be mutual confirmation though, even if it's oblique. Some kind of acknowledgment from both that they understand the other.

Failure on that risks skeevily stringing the other along, especially since full ghosting isn't an option while they're bound by commerce.

Or it risks doing what Sixiang did... staying silent because bringing up the subject would hurt, but leaving the other in ignorance until it hurts more when it finally comes out clearly.

It's quick and easy if they came to the same conclusion, but they don't know that until they Communicate.

I propose we simply have all suitors for Ling Qi's hand marry each other. Whoever emerges as the best husband from their collective contest earns their place by Ling Qi's side.

I don't really think that's it, though. Like, that wouldn't be how it happened.

He's described the form of his ambition. He has the Bao-madness. He has the never-sated hunger for more wealth, more treasures. He's a little odd in that he wants to earn that wealth and craft those treasures, and that simply inheriting it just isn't enough for him, but that is the form that his ambitions take... and Ling Qi is a brilliant jewel indeed, and one that he sees slipping from his grasp because he lacks the motivation to be worthy of her.

I could absolutely see him responding to that by deciding that this is simply not okay, and upping his game in response. We've seen a few hints of this already. He's not satisfied with the answer where he just loses. Right now, he's wavering. On the one side he throws away the relatively sure and easy path he'd been following and cranks up the intensity - putting in more effort, and accepting more risk in order to try to excel enough to attract her interest. On the other side, he falls back into the comfortable rut... and lets the most desirable thing that's ever been part of his life finish slipping from his fingers. For a guy like Bao Qian, both of these are hard roads, and he's not yet decided which one he's going to go for.

...and it is a real character development, with real character... except that in this case, it's Ling Qi who's the tribulation. Upping his game is seriously nontrivial in a number of ways, and it's not a thing he's eager for... and at the same time, I'm pretty sure that letting her go would leave him with a heart demon he'd have to deal with.

Last edited:
I don't really think that's it, though. Like, that wouldn't be how it happened.

He's described the form of his ambition. He has the Bao-madness. He has the never-sated hunger for more wealth, more treasures. He's a little odd in that he wants to earn that wealth and craft those treasures, and that simply inheriting it just isn't enough for him, but that is the form that his ambitions take... and Ling Qi is a brilliant jewel indeed, and one that he sees slipping from his grasp because he lacks the motivation to be worthy of her.

I could absolutely see him responding to that by deciding that this is simply not okay, and upping his game in response. We've seen a few hints of this already. He's not satisfied with the answer where he just loses. Right now, he's wavering. On the one side he throws away the relatively sure and easy path he'd been following and cranks up the intensity - putting in more effort, and accepting more risk in order to try to excel enough to attract her interest. On the other side, he falls back into the comfortable rut... and lets the most desirable thing that's ever been part of his life finish slipping from his fingers. For a guy like Bao Qian, both of these are hard roads, and he's not yet decided which one he's going to go for.

...and it is a real character development, with real character... except that in this case, it's Ling Qi who's the tribulation. Upping his game is seriously nontrivial in a number of ways, and it's not a thing he's eager for... and at the same time, I'm pretty sure that letting her go would leave him with a heart demon he'd have to deal with.
Well, that basicly has been a thing for a while.
You just don't get to interact with Ling Qi for any significant time and not be tribulated by her.

Year 45 Month 10 Arc 1-5
"How well do you think you can hold under its pressure?" Ling Qi asked. To her eyes, their camp, this little bubble reality in the endless expanse of white was being maintained well, the crushing pressure did not pierce the building walls, only frost the now fusing stones. But, she would rather hear the words from the one performing the technique.

Bo Qian knelt by their fire, which had not so much flared as…. Boiled over, soft gray wood smoke poured out of the charcoal to rise and form a smoky cover over the walls clinging with a sooty weight where it should have blown away. It should have been choking, but somehow the air she breathed was fresh and clear. He grimaced. "It's not a crushing pressure, but a wearing one. I can hold this…. for days honestly, but if we wish to go anywhere, that is another matter."

He looked up at the top of the stone ramparts he had raised, now settled and solid as if they'd be raised to stand by expert masons. "Well,as things stand, I suspect our friend could push harder but…"

"But that isn't its nature," Ling Qi said calmly. "It won't press, or even fight, unless we try to escape I think."

"This smug jerk," Hanyi grumbled. "Not even taking us seriously."

Ling Qi shook her head. "You know better than that Hanyi, it has nothing to do with that."

Her junior sister huffed and crossed her arms. "...Yeah, I know. This is just how she is, huh?"

"Yes, she is," Ling Qi said, looking out beyond the walls, with dancing wisps of silver that briefly pushed past the stone before darting back in to avoid the devouring cold. She couldn;t perceive any center or body to the spirit, just the diffuse featureless whiteness of the snow, so solid now that she could barely even perceive the gusts and flurries kicking through it.

"I'm going to take this slowly. Bao Qian, please…"

"What were we just talking about," He chuckled, flexing the fingers driven into the dark earth, the walls shuddered and settled, becoming somehow even more solid in her senses, a sort of hyper-real density that reminded her of the fortified walls of a castle. The sort of formation enhanced stone that even she would have difficulty passing through with her arts.

She was free to study her opponent now, and so she let her perception flood out on a thin ripple of her qi, spreading to the limits of her domain.

The snows ate at it immediately, a cold leeching feeling that nipped and bit at the edges of her qi, far less elegantly than Huisheng's thieving fingers, but she didn't pull away, not entirely. She fought its pressure… but not as hard as she could, letting the leeched motes carry away into the storm.

Quiet. Quiet. Sings the Song of Snow. Silence. Silence. Cries out the cold.

It wasn't the same. They were different songs, different strains. It was not even the same as Zeqing's.

Whiteout Wonderland. The storm which blurred away the world, where travelers wandered until they stumbled exhausted, and sank into the false warmth which preceded death. Oh yes, cousin to Zeqing, that was what this was, with no mountain to be her own, but no less hungry and territorial for it. But all the same… she could feel the particles of stolen qi whipping out through the blizzard, circulating in its winds even as they were slowly dissolved and drunk.

The spirits whole being was diffuse. They were not hiding in the snow, they weren't dematierialized the way she would be, hiding in her mist. No, she doubted that this spirit even could consolidate itself that way. It was a core being, something solid to resist being overwritten, to keep existing from winter to winter, but it still more phenomena than person.

She could work with that, even if she couldn't contest its raw power, as she was right now.

That diffusion is what she could use to solve this.

She let out a breath and returned to herself.

"Big Sis, you okay?" Hanyi asked worriedly. "Your eyes kinda looked like mine for a second…"

"Did they?" Ling Qi wondered, reaching up, there was a little frost on her cheeks. "I think I have an idea for solving this, but I'm going to need you and Bao Qian to hunker down a little and try to avoid its attention. I need the spirits full attention on me, okay?"

"I can close the field within my walls to muffle us, but you will have to be outside for that," Bao Qian said dubiously.

Ling Qi hummed to herself. "Can I only do that for the finale?"

He frowned. "Just give me the signal, if you're certain."

"I am," Ling Qi said confidently.

"I can't help?" Hanyi asked, looking upset.

"This one really is one only I can talk to properly, I think," Ling Qi said. "We'll get the rest together, junior sister."

"...Okay. Kick their butt big sis!"

She hoped she wouldn't have to try, at least not in the way that Hanyi meant. She pushed her feet against the ground and…

And nothing happened, they remained on earth. Ling Qi sighed, frowning down at herself, at the fine but still mundane silk and fur of her gown.

"Bao Qian, could you raise me up?" She asked. How annoying.

"Hah, Of course."

His fingers, embedded in the dirt, twitched and a circle of stone, a pillar, parted the dirt beneath her feet and sent her up, up toward and through the smoky ceiling of their little redoubt.

She punched through it, and immediately felt the frigid, leeching chill on herself even as she allowed her own Mist to flow out into the featureless void of snow. She felt her qi nipped at chewed, frozen dissolved, wicking away like water, spinning off into the quietly howling winds.

But, she had after all witnessed how a thief could hold their treasures even when they vanished from the pocket.

Hush. Hush. Hush. Sink into the white.

Ling Qi inhaled the frigid air, feeling her qi whorling through the vast circuit of winds surrounding them, and sang back.

Quiet. Quiet. Winds rock cold bones to sleep.

Her voice rippled outward, but not from her own lips. The great diffuse mass of qi around her shook, almost imperceptibly.

Silence? Silence? Lay heavy 'cross the land.

The returning verse was a little different than the quiet cold whispers, a curl of questioning in the tone.

Silence. Silence. Glittering in the hills.

But she sang in the same whisper, the some breathy cruelly playful tone, her voice in brought in synch by the bleeding of her qi into the whiteout.

Blow wind Blow, wipe it all away.

Beyond the fires, beyond the roads, snows quiet sleep.

Even she had a hard time telling her own voice from the spirits as she aligned herself too it further, and very carefully bent the intent with her own. They were, after all, very similar.

The difference lay in purpose. This spirit, for all their power, was a thing of directionless, all consuming hunger. It was…. Sad in a way, probably better that it or she did not have a more humanlike self. If it had, there would be no choice but to destroy it, such a thing could only be a monster which could never be allowed to exist near humans.

Lashing tails, a near skeletal body black lips drawn back over yellowed fangs flecked with foam.

At the very least, she didn't think she could stop Su Ling from getting some practice in, if that was the case.

Surrounded in this hunger, feeling it leech into her bones, the frost creeping over her skin and cracking her fingertips. She breathed out. Purest Want in its primal form. The qi she had fed into it resonated far more strongly than the motes she had stolen from Huisheng resonated with her.

She pushed her qi outward, and ceased to hold back the icy emptiness that surrounded her, letting qi flood into the spirits channels.

She knew Want very well, after all.

+2 Want XP
Please Select the level V insight.

[ ] To want is to live, to grasp, to strive. At the foundation of every bond, in the root of every ambition, threaded through every movement of the world. Discern the deepest want in a soul, and there find the key to its understanding or undoing.

[ ] To Want is to live, to grasp, to strive. At the foundation of every bond, in the root of every ambition, threaded through every movement of the world. In it's severance is despair. In despair lies death.

AN: Heyo folks sorry for the shortness but this one was meant to be one piece with the previous chapter and I didn't want to pad it too much! Will hopefully be back in a better state to write going forward.

[X] To want is to live, to grasp, to strive. At the foundation of every bond, in the root of every ambition, threaded through every movement of the world. Discern the deepest want in a soul, and there find the key to its understanding or undoing.

Damn, both of these are nasty, LQ is scary :V

Last edited:
Back