Shade-EA has recently opened. What is the first thing you will buy?

• THE WAIFU-PACK.

Votes: 635 33.6%
  • THE MOE-PACK

Votes: 65 3.4%
  • THE CUTE DAUGHTERU-PACK

Votes: 174 9.2%
  • THE YANDERE ROUTE

Votes: 276 14.6%
  • EXTRA SKINS. COOL SKINS. LOTS OF SKINS.

Votes: 35 1.8%
  • FANCY HATS.

Votes: 120 6.3%
  • Coffee. All other options are lies! I HAVE SEEN THROUGH YOU, ZA SHARUDO!

Votes: 587 31.0%

• Total voters
Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Cover By Fragnostic.

Prologue

A ripple.

A pebble.

A butterfly who fluttered to the right...
Prologue

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!

Cover By Fragnostic.​

Prologue

A ripple.

A pebble.

A butterfly who fluttered to the right and not the left.

Choices define who we are, when we are confronted with choices, the options we pick determine our destiny. Sometimes, we make the choices ourselves. Sometimes, they are thrust upon us. Yet, always, there is an option.

It is not always a good option. It is not always a proper option. It is, often, a suicidal option. When confronted with two paths, one can always choose to do nothing, but that isn't truly making a choice, as much as letting life make it for you.

There is always an option.

Sometimes, all one needs is the courage to take it.

Shortsightedness is a charming attribute of mankind, one which will, inevitably, lead it to its doom.

Unfortunately, in the realm of choices and consequences, we seldom know what we may expect. We rarely understand what is to come.

And I, definitely, didn't know what would come from the choice I had so boldly picked, not two seconds after pronouncing it.

I knew it now, of course. I knew it as I stood in a small dingy room rented from an equally shifty landlord in the middle of Vacuo. I knew it as all of my muscles burned from the strain of running beyond a normal human's capacity, and then being asked to run some more. I knew it from the sand that I still felt in unmentionable places, due to slipping face first against a sand dune, and letting it drag me down.

I knew it from the pain in my arms, which were valiantly used to drag me back up to finish the lap.

I had said no to a man I shouldn't have said no to. That was how it had begun. That was how everything had started. I had said no to my benevolent Father-Dictator, and since I had proven that I had a spine which wouldn't bend in his direction, or to his whims, he decided to reward me with what could properly be described as banishment, exile, or sending someone to the border as we Italians happily would say.

Of course, he hadn't actually forced me into the dingy room. He had most graciously left me to the tender teachings of a Mister Whitey, the regional director of the Schnee Refineries in Vacuo. The man had been a morbidly obese manager that didn't really care about what I did, or how I did it, just as long as he could get to shine for aiding Jacques Schnee's misguided son.

I had taken one whiff at his accounts, and had most politely offered an alternative.

I wasn't going to apologize to my father, and I definitely wasn't going to go back to Atlas. The man didn't know that. He also hadn't realized I had been bluffing about the knowledge of the extra cut I had accused him of taking, but when your name is that of one of the three piglets, and when you're clearly in charge of an evil company's most ecosystem-damaging part, then you can't be a saint.

My silence was bought with a simple thing. Out of sight, out of worries.

A simple stipend, a false identity to avoid people angry at the Schnee name, and the opportunity to train at a combat preparation school in Vacuo to then, later, attempt entrance at Shade's academy.

It was ironic, in a certain way, how I had begun to despise everything connected to the Schnee Industry within mere weeks of being disinherited from it all.

My name was Wren Shade, not Wren Schnee.

I did write a letter for Klein, though, hoping it would reach him and then the rest of my family. At least, the family I wished to contact. The problem was, as with all things, that the Grimm stood between me and them, and the brave postmen had actual problems getting in or out of Vacuo due to the deserts surrounding the place.

The small room suited me just fine, all things considered. It was what a normal huntsman student would have within his meager budget, and there was always work if someone looked for it.

Nobody was refused in Vacuo, provided they could survive.

It was all that it mattered to the people. Their past, their identity, their race, their beliefs-they were all meaningless. The sands of the desert ate good and evil alike. The government existed as a pro-forma, not as an actual entity. Policemen didn't patrol, or stroll. They just sat in barely fanned rooms and quietly played cards with the random guy down on his luck that wanted a free meal and a cool cell to sleep in at night.

A soft knock at the door caught my ears.

"Shower's free," the rumbling voice announced. "Hot water's finished."

"Going," I grumbled, standing up and grabbing what I needed.

There was one bathroom to be shared with seven other guys.

All of them were students. All of them would attempt to get into Shade's academy. All of them would probably get in.

The Academy, like the City, wasn't as selective as Beacon.

Anyone could get in...

...but only those worthy would survive it.

AN: This is an AU of A Heart of Ice and Coffee, and the prologue is a quick summary of the first two chapters, found here. We are going, once more, on an adventure. This time, though, we're going to do it properly in full Heroic Style. So, I'm also going to be warning you in advance that we'll be hitting OC levels that aren't even possible, trying to come up with colors, symbols and whatnot, as well as 'Unique Voices' is going to be hard, but it's an exercise I will be attempting.

Though, be warned.

There will be a grievous lack of coffee in this fic. OR cute daughter headpats. That's why we'll get the Waifus. Maybe. Nobody bought the DLC Waifu Pack Yet.

Last edited:
I would get the dlc Waifu pack but your options won't let me to buy multiples ;A;

Looking forward to how this Wren turns out

The problem was, as with all things, that the Grimm stood between me and them, and the brave postmen had actual problems getting in or out of Vacuo due to the deserts surrounding the place.

Neither sun, nor more sun, nor desert heat will keep the postman from completing his designated rounds.
The hordes of slavering Grimm however, may cause slight delays.

I don't know... Somehow I feel like this is reduced by what came before it. Or, in other words:
Yeah, I just can't feel much for this, what with the perfect ending the other one had.

The Waifus are a LIE. They are always a lie. They will always be a lie. You are a twisted creature toying with your fanbase!

AND THEY LOVE IT! :o

I'll miss the cute daughter headpats, but surely we could get some sisterly ones?!

When you thought you finish reading a story but then

An AU with lack of coffee...

I hope Salem was included in the Waifu DLC

Last edited:
Personally I hope to see all the poor bastards who suffer in the background in the long term of a uninfluenced SDC with max racism or better yet the SDC being defeated by wren and other "heroes" which results in global instability and dust shortages leading to chaos in the long term.

Let's see what playing "hero" gets us when we take down a large but ultimately necessary evil that was in fact a core component of civilization's survival.

Let's see how much too little too late not having a large reaction force occurs.

In this version......let's watch remnant BURN!

Welp, this is going to be fascinating. I wonder how is this going to end.

It is like a car crash, you just can't stop looking (or reading in this case.)
All hail the great Shade, coffee-fuelled tale-weaver.

If you go the heroic route i recomend ripp off Jon snow every time you can:
Grimm are coming and she comes with them, the huntsmen can't stop them, the inner circle can't stop them, and all 4 kingdoms can't stop them, only together and even then might be not enogh but at least we'll give the fuckers a figth

Back