So I just binge-read this entire fic... I'm eagerly awaiting more! Brilliant writing.

Ironically, the only late Expanded Universe stuff I've read is the whole nine-book Caedus stuff. Didn't ever get around to reading the Yuuzhan Vong wars, although I've picked up bits here and there.

A Complicated Profession: Chapter Seven
Book Four: A Complicated Profession
Chapter Seven: In Which A Preponderance of Noodling is Undertaken

Date: 32 ABY

It was kind of alarming how unperturbed Gand was by being forced to flee a planet. Once we popped into hyperspace and he was sure we weren't being followed, we found an ice dwarf on the edge of some nondescript system— an airless scrap of ice barely large enough to hold its spherical shape— and went down to minimal power. Only then did Gand come down to assess the damage.

Luckily, we'd gotten out of there not much worse for wear. Ninety-Nine was missing three limbs but that didn't count since we'd unscrewed them specifically for this job, and I was fine aside from a few scrapes and bruises. The Mikkian girl's blaster wound wasn't too bad, but it could've been a lot worse. Had that blaster bolt flown just a hair lower and hit a little more square-on, it would have blown her knee right out and crippled her. As it was, the plasma had left a broad painful burn on the back of her thigh. But it wasn't anything a bacta patch couldn't clear up. Thank God for bacta— in a few hours she'd be good as new.

Gand had gone to reattach Ninety-Nine's limbs, so I'd been left to help tend to her burns. I'd tried to make some light conversation, but we didn't get very far past names. Right away, I learned three things— her name was Seran, she was also a bounty hunter, and she didn't the way my tendrils squiggled when I looked at her.

I had no idea to respond. Could I even respond without making it worse? I didn't even know I was expected to control my tendrils yesterday, and today I discover that I'm apparently broadcasting I'm a socially-retarded pervert on all noodly frequencies? When was anyone going to tell me?

After that, I mostly busied myself helping Gand doing maintenance stuff in the armory, silently fighting the urge to curl up in a storage compartment and die.

Eventually, the quiet monotony of the work dulled the shame a little, and I decided to use the time productively. I wasn't totally clueless; like everyone else apparently had, I'd noticed that their movement patterns changed depending on my mood. Apparently whatever they'd been doing unconsciously was something Mikkians were expected to not do in polite society. If I was going to encounter more Mikkians in the future, I needed to learn how to put out the right vibe. Because whatever I was doing right now clearly wasn't working.

As I worked I focused on my breathing, almost like meditation, and once I'd calmed my mind I began to concentrate on my tendrils. It was slow going, since I didn't even really know what muscles I had to flex. Whatever muscles made them wiggle and squirm seemed pretty involuntary.

Was I over-thinking this? It had always been emotion-based before— stronger feelings made them more agitated, while remaining calm kept their motions slow and fluid. So maybe if I got a better handle on my fear, that would have a positive effect on my tendril control. Just had to keep calm.

Shit, story of my life.

Alright then, to work with me. My mind recalled some of Master Cilghal's visualizations: Imagine yourself in a storm-tossed sea. The wind and waves are your emotions, constantly whirling and changing, but beneath the waves your inner self is calm and composed. This is the core of your identity, and it is how you come to know the Force. Ignore your emotions, they cannot be relied upon. You must submerge yourself within yourself, and feel the currents of the Force as they slowly prompt you to act. This is inner peace.

An hour passed local time. I sank into the rhythm of the work again, barely thinking about what I was doing, aware of almost nothing but the slow, placid noodling behind my head. The movement stayed a nice calm ripple, the kind of motion that seemed to come when I wasn't nervous or afraid. It seemed good now, but the real test was how another Mikkian would react. And it wasn't like Seran's opinion of me could get any lower, could it?

— — —

Rhetorical fate-tempting aside, after a while I figured I was as serene and centered as I was ever going to be. So I made my excuses to Gand about checking on our guest and went back to the galley.

We'd moved the table out of the way, and Seran had taken up a position reclining on her stomach on the flight cough to elevate her burn. That unmistakable herbal vanilla smell-taste hung faintly in the recycled air. The left leg of her flight suit had been slit open open, and her thigh was wrapped in bacta patches right above the knee. She hung off the edge of the couch, tapping something on a datapad. Whatever it was occupied all her attention. Her tendrils flowed around her neck and shoulders in a kind of tired lazy way. A wordless understanding trickled into my mind that she hadn't heard me come in. Any unease I felt at this weird new instinct was overpowered by a horrible thought— if anything would confirm her suspicion that I was some sort of creep, it would be her thinking I was watching her silently.

I took a deep breath, centered myself in that still underwater place surrounded by the Force, and cleared my throat. "Um, Seran?"

For a split second her tendrils bristled like a startled cat's fur, then smoothed back to their normal flow. She switched the datapad off and rose to meet my eyes. Seeing her in the bright fullspec lighting, it finally hit just how different she was from me. Where my skin was a pale red, hers was an indigo dark and deep like a twilight sky— except for the tendrils, which gradually lightened through sky blue until the very tips, which were almost pure white. The tendrils were shaped differently too. Mine were flat and ribbonlike, tapering at the tips to a sort of point, and were fairly uniform in length all across my scalp. Seran's tendrils had a more cylindrical profile, bulging slightly in the center, and had squared-off tips. The broadest tendrils formed two fanlike crests sunbursting from around her temples, and the rest of her head sported tendrils just as long but thinner and finer. If you saw us both, you might think we were from different but related species. I knew from my limited research that every Mikkian had a different arrangement of tendrils, but this was crazy.

Seran tilted her head. "Yes?"

I blinked and fought to keep my tendrils flowing calmly, suddenly remembering that I was trying to not act like a weirdo. "Well. Um. How's your leg?"

"It's feeling better. I should be able to take this bandage off in a few hours. It might not even scar." She frowned. "But that isn't why you came back, is it?"

"Well… no. Is it really that obvious?"

Seran snorted. "Everything about you is obvious. You may be the most transparent guy I've ever met, Tipros. It'd be kind of sweet, if the you under the surface wasn't such a creep."

I was speechless. Suddenly, curling up in a storage compartment to die sounded fantastic.

Something of that must have come across, and her brows shot up. "Hey, I didn't mean it like that. See, this is what I mean. It's like you've got no filter at all, everything you feel just goes right to your tendrils."

My mouth miraculously began forming words. "You say I've got no filter, right after telling me I'm a creep, right to my face!?"

Her tendrils went into an intense ripple, and she flexed her shoulders as though about to rise up. "Well what am I supposed to think, when you—" she stopped herself and took a deep breath, closing her eyes. The breath cycled back out, and when she opened her eyes the hostility was gone from her face.

She sighed audibly, silver eyes searching for words. "Look. Tipros. I'm sorry. That was too harsh. You saved my life back there, even when you didn't have to. It would have been a lot easier for your crew to fly off and leave me for the spaceport security, but you did the virtuous thing even though it was hard. That means a lot, and you have my thanks. I don't think you're a bad person. But… being around you makes me very uncomfortable sometimes. Your thassiaprae—"

"My what?"

"Thassiaprae," she repeated.

Despite my efforts to hold them still, a ripple ran through my tendrils. "I heard you; I just don't know what that means."

Seran looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. "It… you can't be serious."

Confused, I thought it best to say nothing. As we held that silence, a look of confused awe deepened on her face. Her mouth fell open. "No way," she breathed, incredulous. "You're actually serious, aren't you…"

"Serious about what?"

"You really don't know what I'm talking about?"

I frowned, nerves prickling. "No, I don't, and I don't like being condescended to, either."

"Sorry, that's truly not my intent." Her tendrils coiled, and she gave me a look that wouldn't have been out of place looking at a feral animal at a circus. "It's just that I've never met another Mikkian so out of touch with… everything. The way you talk and act, it's like you were never taught to control your tendrils at all. That whole thing about being raised by kath hounds wasn't serious, but now I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was true."

"Would you believe that you're the only other Mikkian I've ever met before?"

Seran tilted her head. "I just might. But what about your parents?"

Well, I'd walked right into that one. Taking a deep breath, I edged as close to the truth as I dared: "My earliest memory is being raised by humans. Two free traders working the Outer Rim, without kids of their own. They raised me as a human, as if I'd been theirs by blood. I knew I was different, obviously, but with all the traveling I never had any other Mikkians to compare myself to. So whatever I did was just… normal."

Seran nodded and her tendrils gave a thoughtful squoogle."It would explain your body language. I know I keep rubbing your nose in this, but it's still just so fucking unsettling. The way you act it's like you seriously just can't control yourself, like you've never even heard of thassiaprae before."

I sighed, self-conscious of my own ignorance. "Are you ever going to let me in on what that means?..."

"Oh, right. I'll try. Thassiaprae is tough to translate into Basic; other species don't properly get the nuance. The best analogue is body language, but even that's not really it. It's not like what the twiis have, where they can sign out whole words and phrases with their head-tails. It's more of a mindful control of the body— putting a filter between what you think or feel and how you express that to others. Not to the point where you can say one thing and mean another, that would be dishonest, but telling the truth about your inner self in ways appropriate to the situation. Does that make sense?"

I frowned. "I… think so. So it's more like a code of etiquette than a body language."

"That's a good way to put it," she agreed. "Our tendrils move differently depending on how we feel, and we pick that up by watching and sensing those changes in others. But it's not always appropriate to go full-blast all the time. Thassiaprae is learning to control those tendril movements appropriately in public. Most Mikkians start developing thassiaprae when they begin potty training." Then her indigo face stiffened with concern. "Um, the humans did teach you that, right?"

My face flushed. "Yes, of course I know how to use a toilet! Why would you…" I was about to lay into her when I noticed something different about her tendrils. The movements had changed— now they were twining around each other slightly, braiding and unbraiding as she stared at me completely deadpan. Then a switch flipped in my gut, something finally clicked, and that little instinct bubbled an answer in the back of my mind: she was joking.

"…you're making fun of me aren't you?" I asked, feeling an uncertain smile beginning to spread.

One corner of her mouth pulled up, and the vanilla smell-taste in the air seemed to thicken. "Maybe a little bit."

I snorted wordlessly.

"You see what I mean, though? Even though my expression didn't change, you caught onto the meaning in my tendril movements and figured out that I was joking. That's part of thassiaprae too."

"I think I get it," I said. "It's still weird, though."

Seran shook her head. "It feels just as weird trying to explain it, too. Especially to another Mikkian. Thassiaprae isn't really something you have to think about. It just goes without saying most of the— hey, cut it out! You're doing it again!"

I started, and my tendrils snapped to attention. "What?"

"You're practically undressing me with your tendrils, Tipros! If you did that while looking at me on the streets of Mikkia you'd get your teeth kicked in!"

"Sorry, sorry, I don't know what I'm…" I trailed off as I realized that trying to stop would be a better idea than an apology. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on my breathing again. My mind sank back into that still and quiet place. Gradually I felt my tendrils slowly return to a nice fluid swaying. I opened my eyes to see Seran nod approvingly.

"That's better. It's like as soon as you lose focus you start doing it again. I now you're trying to stop, but… well, just try harder. Okay?"

"Um… okay." I rolled my shoulders, feeling a pleasant pop as some tension released. It didn't help much. "I know I'm going to fail at this again at some point, so let me just apologize in advance."

"Noted. And let me apologize in advance for not being a very good teacher." Seran took a deep breath and gave me a tired, but genuine, smile. "So, what do you say we start over? There's not a lot of our kind traveling the spacelanes these days, and I'd hate to be on bad terms with one of the only ones out there. Deal?"

"Deal," I said with relief. I carefully tamped down the relief bubbling up, just in case it made my tendrils do something untoward, and smiled.

"So with that out of the way," she said, "why are you actually here?"

"I wanted to talk to you about this job we're both on. You were trying really hard to convince me to give you the boarding fob data, and not just in a mercenary way. You were trying to convince me that giving it to you wasn't just a way to save myself some trouble, but also the right thing to do."

"It is," Seran said firmly.

"Right, and you wouldn't explain when I asked. Gand and me and Ninety-Nine… we're not bad people, Seran. We're reasonable people. If there's something you don't know that we don't, some reason why we might be in the wrong, then we'll at least hear you out. We might even be willing to help you out. We might all be able to benefit."

Seran bit the inside of her lip and looked away. "It's not that simple," she said. "My employer made me swear an oath of secrecy before I took the job. He's a good man, and telling you would be a breach of his trust… unless I got permission to do so."

"Could you call him?" I asked carefully, making sure to hold a part of myself back, centered in the deep core of myself. That seemed to be the key. "It's at least worth a try."

She thought about it. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask. Alright, I'll explain the situation to him and see what he says."

"Great. I'll tell the guys."

Seran reached back for her datapad and started typing, tendrils coiling optimistically. "It may take me a few minutes for me to get a hold of him," she said as she looked back up. "I'll let you know whenTiprosyouredoingitagain!"

She looked away, indigo face crinkling in disgust. I started as I felt my tendrils suddenly jump from whatever they were doing to a panicked squirming. "Oh shit I'm sorry!"

"Just— Force, if you can't control yourself just go. Go! Practice somewhere else!"

I scurried back to work, feeling bruises of more than one variety.

— — —

It wasn't long before Seran came back with an answer. Gand, Ninety-Nine, and I were doing some last-minute checks in the cockpit before takeoff. Well, Gand and Ninety-Nine were. I was mostly just getting the dust out of those stubborn cracks on the instrument display and levers at the comms station. The chair's actuator had a little unscrewable knob at the end that was oddly soothing to fiddle with.

My tendrils rippled as they picked up vibrating footfalls from the end of the hall.

"Seran's on the way," I said to nobody in particular. As soon as I head myself say it, I felt arching squiggles looping behind my head. Oh, fuck, not this again.

Ninety-Nine looked up, head darting around. "Are we certain we can trust her, Boss?"

"She seems a decent sort," Gand observed. His round head was buried in a maintenance panel below the pilot's seat, giving his voice an uncanny echoing quality. "Or at least, she has been nothing but polite to this Gand when we have spoken."

"Just like the partisans on Utapau," Ninety-Nine retorted. He flexed his body, and the light shone off the Clone Wars campaign insignias the battle droid had etched into his chassis. "They were always politest right before they set off a bomb at a security node."

"Oh come on," I said.

"You have interacted with Seran more than we have," Gand said. "What do you think?"

I paused for a minute, not trusting myself to say the first thing to come to mind. I took a deep breath and released it, willing my tendrils to calm themselves.

"Seran is… a very understanding woman," I said. "A lot of… empathy?..."

"Empathy is a good sign," Gand said. "Do you think she is being honest with us, though?"

"I don't think she has any reason to lie to us, if that's what you mean."

Ninety-Nine turned to face me. "We're working for different people, and after the same guy," he said. "We can't both collect on Soriano."

"Let's at least hear her out first," I said, trying to block out the vibrations of the encroaching footsteps. "She's at least earned that much."

"Boss?"

Gand pulled his head out of the Cloudburst's innards. "This Gand agrees with Tipros. We will listen first and clear the mists, then. Decide what to do once the paths are clear."

"I don't know how you stay so calm all the time," I said. "You missed your calling, Gand— you'd have made a way better Jedi than I would've."

Gand seemed uncomfortable at that, and suddenly became fascinated by wiping some kind of grime off his hands with a little rag. "This Gand is nothing special, he merely does what comes natural to him. You might as well praise this Gand for drinking water."

I frowned good-naturedly. "Don't sell yourse—"

The words ran back down my throat as the cockpit door whooshed open and Seran came in, her face set in a serious expression, white-tipped tendrils waving gravely about her head. She looked us all over, up and down, and— shit, was her gaze lingering on me? I tamped down on my emotions, focusing on my tendrils so hard I could see stars.

I must have done something right, I guess, since she passed me over without comment. "I've talked to my employer, and he agreed to let me inform you of the situation." She looked around, those liquid silver eyes taking in each one of us in turn. "But nothing we say leaves this room. Understand?"

"Understood."

"Roger roger."

"Affirmative."

"Good," Seran said. "If word of this spreads before I can gather the proof I need, then a serious injustice will go on unpunished."

She pulled out her datapad and tapped the screen. Then she passed it around for us to see. The screen showed a video still of a human male's head, middle-aged but definitely worse for wear. He had a longish ragged beard streaked with grey, long stringy hair to match, and cheeks covered in deep lines and mottled acid burns turned his face into a post-apocalyptic landscape. But the most dominant feature on the man's face, and the thing that sent my tendrils riffling with interest, was the scaly leather mask covering his eyes and forehead. No way. No way.

"Meet my employer, Marras Tavik. The real author of A Cage of Phantoms. Your guy Soriano's a fraud. He isn't even a real Miraluka."

— — —

NOTES: Yes, we are back in business. And you would not believe the size of the backlog I've built up over the last month. Now let's conclude this arc in style! Please give me criticism, etc etc.

Last edited:
Loving it! I think you've been building towards this bit with Tipros learning to control his tendrils for a while. It's even more obvious in retrospect, with the comments Sannah kept making a while ago. Nice that he's finally met another Mikkian, either way.
Looking forward to seeing how this chase plays out!

I love the extra dimension of etiquette. It's a cultural detail that's obvious in retrospect: A species with an extra biologically-focused sense would of course have norms around that sense's public use. But I never thought of it, and you brought it in hilariously.

I think i read part of this chapter before.

My post got edited. Time for a password change.

Last edited:
Interlude: Eyes of the Mirror
Interlude: Eyes of the Mirror

The coolest part of being apprenticed to a Jedi Master, Sannah had discovered, was getting to travel across the galaxy and see so many amazing new things and people. In just the last ten months with Master Welko, she'd seen more planets, met more new people, and learned more about the Force than the last nineteen years of her life combined. Even if the whole spiritual side of being a Jedi was always tough and not even a little easy, she'd be lying if she couldn't feel herself learning every day. And she was keeping in contact with Turi and all her other friends too— and even Tipros would call sometimes, how awesome was that!

To the outside, it must have seen like everything was going great. And, Sannah had to admit, some days it was easy to believe that everything was going to be fine.

Today was not one of those days.

She was sitting around a conference table with Master Welko and two groups of Aqualish, trying to keep the peace as each camp's hatred for the other rolled over them like crashing waves. The group on their right was made up of claw-handed Quara, and were opposed by a party of the more numerous Aquala majority, with cup-shaped flippers instead of hands. Each Aqualish subspecies hated the other, and according to Master Welko, Ando was more or less in a permanent race war. The Aquala were something like ninety percent of the population, but the Quara's fingers made it easier for them to use offworld technology, and gave them a powerful upper hand (wow, was that a Tipros pun or what?). Normally the Alliance and the Jedi didn't have the resources to get involved, even if they wanted to. But this time the two biggest factions of Quara and Aquala had contacted them about negotiating a truce, so the Jedi had sent Master Welko to make sure there wasn't going to be any fuckery.

A year ago Sannah would've been bored to death by all this peacekeeping instead of beating up the bad guys, but watching Master Welko at work was actually really awesome. He always seemed to know just what to say to keep the two sides talking instead of fighting— insults were defused and distractions redirected like a martial art made of words and smiles, and neither side of Aqualish seemed to recognize that he was doing anything at all. The little Selkath didn't butt in or try to dominate the discussion, he just sat in his chair between them, getting in the occasional murmur when one side looked to be picking a fight but otherwise content to be annoyed. It was way more awesome than she could've thought, like the word version of watching Master Scout take down that Herglic last year with her joint locks. Imagine being able to win fights before they started, by making people not want to fight at all— if she could learn how to do that, along with her combat training, she knew she could become an amazingly awesome Jedi.

On a better day, she could have sat there watching Master Welko work for hours. But today was not one of those days.

The aches were really bad today. She's first started noticing them a month ago, and it was like once she'd admitted they were there it became all she could feel. All up and down her body, from her lower back through her pelvis and all the way down to her toes— just this dull endless hammering, like a pressure cuff getting tighter and tighter. Her ankles throbbed, her knees hurt to move, her hips ground against themselves whenever she walked, and nothing she tried really took the aches away. The most she could do was meditate and focus on her breathing until she could just ignore it. But it was still there, thumping with pressure like an unwanted second heartbeat, some alien parasite made of pain instead of flesh.

But what really bothered her today was her eyes. They weren't dry, but it felt like they had swollen somehow, packed tighter into the sockets than ever before. The itching and burning that came with it was awful, so annoying she was almost glad for the distraction from her aching legs.

Sannah tried to distract herself from her body by watching Master Welko's negotiations. The Selkath had given the Aquala delegation a chance to speak. Their leader stood, fiddling with his datapad, pecking away with his weird cup-flippers with a dexterity that Sannah just didn't understand. It wasn't even like an adult Melodie's hands, which were basically just human hands with skin between the fingers, these were shaped more like the suction treads you'd find on a window-cleaning droid or something. How did the Aquala even—

Flick-flick.

Suddenly something clear and warm and solid wiped across her eyeball, and Sannah let out an audible gasp. An deep unspoken panic blossomed in her gut, wiping away every thought except one word.

No.

Master Welko looked at her with concern, and Sannah suddenly found herself tongue-tied. She stammered some excuse about needing to use the refresher, fighting the fear for control of her mouth and brain. She knew he didn't believe her, but the look on her face must have convince him that this wasn't the time or place to discuss it. He nodded, blinking his big dark fish eyes in a way that communicated an endless understanding that made her want to hug him. Without another sound she turned around, Jedi robles flapping in a way that might have been totally awesome if she wasn't on the verge of a freakout.

Sannah made for the 'fresher as fast as she could on her aching legs, her mind rattling through that single word like it was a magic mantra. Nononononononononono…

She slammed the door shut behind her and locked it, bracing herself against the sink with her half-webbed hands as her hips throbbed with a bone-deep ache. The mirror called to her, but she couldn't look. She couldn't look. Maybe if she didn't look it wouldn't be true, it wouldn't be happening, she'd go back to normal, and—

Flick-flick.

It happened again and the decision was made. With all the willpower she had, Sannah forced herself to look into the mirror.

The face staring out through the glass looked the same, looked normal. Her dark hair still framed her face in the same tumble of curls, her skin was the same healthy caramel tan, her nose and lips and everything were the same shape. Her face hadn't changed.

Her eyes had changed.

The pupils were larger in the dim lighting, the pale yellow irises seemed brighter. They also sat ever so slightly different in their sockets, and the skin seemed to slightly puff out at the edges.

Then it happened again. Flick-flick.

She felt the thing as much as she saw it— a clear piece of skin, a second eyelid, flicked across her eye from the outer corner toward her nose, then back again. She could feel it slide along as it went, sending a shiver down her spine. It felt weird and wrong and gross, and her stomach reeled in protest.

Sannah stood there over the sink for a long time, staring into the mirror as the clear little eyelid flicked and blinked, her aches and pains forgotten. How could she ever care about that when this was looking back at her?

She wasn't afraid, she was beyond fear now. Just completely hollowed out. This is me now. This is real. I can't keep on ignoring it.

The Changing was so soon, coming up so quick. How long now? She tried to think back to Yavin Eight, when the older kids were getting close to their Changes, but it had been so long ago that she could barely remember. It was happening soon, that much she knew. Her birthday was coming up soon, but the Changing was unpredictable. Kind of like laying an egg— you could narrow down the date a little bit, but in the end it came whenever it felt like. She might start changing six months from now, or she might start changing tomorrow.

Oh shit, what if she started changing tomorrow?...

Sannah bit her lip, feeling the emptiness inside deepen. She looked away from her reflection, from that waterbound thing under her skin trying to push its way out. She just felt so hopeless. This time next year, it would be over— no more walking, no more running or working out. She'd be stuck in the water, or in a hoverchair or something, trapped and helpless. All her friends becoming awesome Jedi and bounty hunters, following their destinies without her. Why did it have to…

A familiar metal cylinder bounced against her thigh. Her lightsaber. She could feel its synthcrystal glowing in the force like a little candle, soft and comforting.

All of a sudden, all her worries seemed beside the point. Sannah was a Melodie. She'd always known this would happen, even if she'd spent so long trying to forget. This was her destiny, and she'd prepared for it. She was not going to let herself become helpless. Toned lean muscle tightened all over her body as she clenched her body and fought her way back out of the pit.

She looked at her eyes in the mirror again, and watched the clear eyelid do its little flick-flick thing again. She forced herself to watch it again. This is me, she thought. I didn't choose this, but it was always going to happen. I'll be ready when I change. I'll make myself ready, whatever it takes. I'm not just a Melodie, I'm a Jedi. This is all a part of my destiny, and the Force will help me. The Force and Master Welko, too. I'm gonna be the best Jedi I can be— legs, tail, or whatever.

Sannah splashed a little water on her face (wow did that feel awesome) and pushed her curls to one side, making a brave smile at the mirror. Taunting it. You can't beat me. You can't make me helpless.

By the time she left the refresher to return to the conference room, she'd almost made herself believe it, too.

Interlude: Tigress, Conspiring
Interlude: Tigress, Conspiring
Location: Jensaarai courier ship Truth Partisan, Docking Bay Jenth-76, Yumfla, Susefvi

Darth Occlus had forgotten how much time it took to craft a truly magnificent plot. Then again, she'd always made a point of playing an active role in her own schemes, so having some other fool doing all the legwork left her in an unfamiliar position. Her enjoyment was oddly incomplete. She didn't even have a body to purr with; how could she properly enjoy the glee of her plan coming together if she couldn't even feel a nice purr rumbling in her throat at the sight of her machinations? How annoying.

But, of course, if there was one thing the Tigress of the Sith had learned from keeping her throne on the Dark Council against all comers, it was that all successful plots requires subtle maneuvering and patience. Working through intermediaries and various replaceable pawns gave the plotter a necessary level of distance from her plots, and if said pawns would be eventually maneuvered into a position where they would eliminate themselves when they became an inconvenience… well, all the better.

But having a coterie of competent fools to carry out her will was one thing. Having to remain trapped in her holocron, disembodied and immobile, whilst relying on those fools to handle everything on their own? That was very much another.

Darth Occlus was so tired of relying on others. The Force ghosts, this Rodian fool, and even her silly little noodle of a Mikkian— every single one had proven in some way to be an imperfect conduit for her will. All of them required so much instruction, so much tedium, so much… wasted energy.

It was unbearably tedious, all of it. The sooner she had a body of her own again, the sooner she was free of these fools, the better. The Force shall free me.

The Force crackled with phantom static around her. Occlus cast her perceptions out across the dark side and felt the Rodian cross her field of awareness like a magnet across a bed of iron filings. Behind him followed four more armored humanoids— two humans, a female Rodian, and a Caamasi— all of them wearing the cortosis armor of the Rodian's knightly order. The entire group shone like a constellation of emotions, shading across the spectum. Caution, fear, anticipation… and was that excitement? Curiosity?

Oh my, how interesting. Suddenly, Occlus found her mood improving. Perhaps this secret meeting would not be a complete waste of her time after all.

Something boomed above her, followed by a scraping as the container hiding her holocron slid open. The Rodian's armored hands fumbled against the crystal walls surrounding her, and a tingle of feedback rode through Occlus' shade. The pyramidal holocron crackled with a staccato buzz, the closest thing she could manage in her present state to a purr. So close to a true sense of touch, but still so shoddy! So inferior! How she craved having a tactile sense again, sometimes she felt like the longing would drive her mad!

But she was Darth Occlus, the greatest Sith Lady that there ever had been. That there ever would be. Slavery had not broken her, devouring the Force ghosts of half a dozen Sith and Jedi had not broken her, three thousand years of solitude had not broken her, and she would be damned sure that a lack of skritchies would not be the blow that shattered her sanity for good.

Not that she was normal under the best of circumstances, granted. But she was not some dumb animal, driven by physical cravings. She was Sith, a creature of pure will and focused passion. She would see this plan through, and free herself. And if that meant dealing with these gullible warriors— then so be it.

A clink rang out, and Occlus knew the Rodian had set her down on the common room's table. Crimson bloodshine shone as she activated her holocron's projector once again. Satisfaction filled her as she saw their auras and faced become remade by fearful awe. The fools. So many dabblers in the dark were but scavengers, scuttling and gnawing at the edges of true power but too afraid to risk themselves in the pursuit of greatness and freedom. To see a liberated being like herself, to feel the dark majesty that rolled off her like thunderheads from a high-pressure front, was something akin to seeing a goddess from some atavistic cult.

For a moment, Darth Occlus had the wild temptation to reestablish her now-ancient cult, but quickly disposed of the idea. She desired a body far more than the worship of fools, and besides the micro-management of running a Sith cult was far too much work. In the long term, the results were not worth the effort put into it.

In the short term, however, a small cult of followers would prove most useful for her goals.

Occlus made her bright red holo-image fold its arms and regard the five, now kneeling, with a cold sneer. "Ahh, you have returned. And you brought friends! How delightful."

The Rodian— her Rodian, the male one, What's-His-Name— bowed low, pressing his forehead to the ground in a traditional gesture of fealty. Idiot.

"Lady Occlus," he began, "guardian of the ancient wisdom, please accept these four truth-seekers as your students, just as you accepted me."

She paused for an appropriately dramatic length of time, pretending to consider. "I might consider it," she said. "Provided that they can prove their strength and loyalty to me. The true power of the Sith is not something given away like candy at a street festival. You must want it more than anything in the galaxy. You must crave power like food and freedom like air."

The female Rodian raised her head ever so slightly, antennae twitching. A bristly shock of platinum-blond hair rose low from her scalp. Occlus was intensely glad that she could not smell the alien. "The fact that we would risk the wrath of the Jedi by following Defender Huith speaks to that, I think."

"Is your order truly so weak that it relies on the approval of the Jedi before acting? Does it produce no beings with backbones anymore?"

"Most of the Jensaarai have forgotten our mission," Occlus' Rodian replied. "We were founded by Tryris the Sage to supplant the Jedi, and render them obsolete. But then those rotten treacherous hangman-rope sneak deadly gangsters wiped us out and forced us into hiding. We wanted to avenge our dead, but the Empire was too strong. So waited until the Empire was weak before we struck. But then what did they do? They swallowed some nonsense line from the Jedi about how Larad Noon and Tyris were corrupted by their Sith wisdom, and more lies about how the lying kinslaying gangsters never wanted to exterminate us at all. Well, tell the cold body of the Saarai-kaar's husband that, I say. They can't take our traditions from us that easy. Some of us still remember the truth. We want to regain what our founders had, that was so powerful the Jedi tried to stamp us out."

He gestured to the four armored figures behind him, but his bulging eyes never left the holocron. The light of the holoprojector shone off his eyes like the mania building within them. "We all pledge ourselves to your teachings, Darth Occlus. For the glory of the Jensaarai, and in the name of the Hidden Truth!"

The dark cargo hold echoed with muted cheers, and a thrill of triumph ran through Occlus' spirit. The Rodian talked far too much— and was, to coin a term, differently sane— but she had to admit, the burly reptilian had a certain charisma about him. Perhaps this fool would be more useful than she thought.

Occlus drew the moment out, feeling the tension in the room ratchet up. Then, when she'd had her fun, she directed her holoprojection to smirk, showing a little bit more fang this time.

"I have considered your plights, and I agree that your cause is just. I will share with you all the secrets of the dark side. You five will learn the secrets of the Force's true power, what the Jedi and their puppets among your Order, the…"

"Jensaarai?..." ventured one of the humans in a timid voice.

"Yes, of course, I was merely testing you. Jensaarai. We will rebuild your order from the shadows, until such time as you are skilled enough to cast the Jedi puppets down and move against them openly."

"I can almost see their Academy burning right now," Occlus' Rodian said eagerly, eyes glinting orange as though viewing a glorious holocaust only he could see. "How long will it take before we're ready, Lady Occlus?"

Occlus chuckled, letting her power bleed out further into the Force and watching them flinch but try to hide it. They feared her power, but hungered for it, which fed their fear in turn. These Jensaarai truly were fools compared to Tipros— at least the little noodle stuck to his convictions, these half-Sith couldn't make up their minds about anything. Manipulating them would be easier than outwitting Xalek. "Not as long as you might think. The dark side is a path to real power, you know. You'll quickly see how it compares to the watered-down platitudes of the Jedi soon enough, my Shadow Jensaarai."

She paused, adopting a stage frown. "But to truly teach you to the fullest extent, I will need a new body. But I have a plan," she added, holographically pointing a clawed finger upward. Then, she singled out her Rodian. "Have you made the list I asked of you, Rodian?"

"Of course, my Lady." He rose, armored shoulders gleaming. "During my time in their rotten Academy, I met several Jedi who met your requirements. Any one of them would make a suitable host for your majesty."

Occlus resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Excellent."

"Though I won't be able to return to Ossus, I fear." The Rodian said hesitantly. "After rescuing you and your holocron, the Jedi—"

"Yes, yes, the Jedi aren't completely brainless," she interrupted. "They will be hunting you, and before long they may decide to suspend the exchange program until you are captured. They may even force your fellows to turn you in. We will have to act quickly and quietly, and catch them by surprise. And I know exactly how to do it…"

Darth Occlus ordered the gullible fools to their tasks, dispensed a few Sith maxims for them to ponder, and within half an hour the Shadow Jensaarai busied themselves elsewhere, shutting the cargo door behind them.

The ship's chamber was empty, dark, and silent— peaceful in its own way, but a strange welter of emotions overcame her, spirit swirling confusedly within her holocron. She wracked her mind, trying to figure it out. There was no natural reason for her to feel anything short of sardonic glee. The ancient Sith Lords who theorized that Force-sensitives were naturally strong-willed were quite obviously wrong; these Jensaarai were so easily let through their paranoia and hatred that it was almost comical. Such a change from everything she'd had to go through cajoling Tipros into action.

So why did she feel so… uneasy? All her plans were coming together splendidly. She would have her new body sooner than she'd hoped, and then she'd finally be free again. Free to finally go where she wanted, do whatever she wanted, pass all her knowledge down and continue her legacy. Lingering in this holocron and maneuvering the Rodian and his followers was simply another stage in the plan. Why did she…

The hold. Yes, that was it. The hold reminded her too much of her tomb on Korriban and it was putting her on edge. It had nothing to do with Tipros.

Nothing at all.

So why did she feel so… uneasy? All her plans were coming together splendidly. She would have her new body sooner than she'd hoped, and then she'd finally be free again. Free to finally go where she wanted, do whatever she wanted, pass all her knowledge down and continue her legacy. Lingering in this holocron and maneuvering the Rodian and his followers was simply another stage in the plan. Why did she…

The hold. Yes, that was it. The hold reminded her too much of her tomb on Korriban and it was putting her on edge. It had nothing to do with Tipros.

Nothing at all.
Baka Noodle! It's not - not like she likes him or anything!

Growling up is hard, and sometimes really unsettling.

Especially when it involves turning into a mermaid.
Well, for all we know, there are Melodie horror stories, but those aren't the kind of stories you tell children. Especially their children, who already have enough problems.
she would be damned sure that a lack of skritchies would not be the blow that shattered her sanity for good.
Darth Occulus is such a cat.

If she manages to not get herself destroyed or lost to the dark side, I expect it will be through somebody telling her, "No, you aren't allowed to get on that table and learn these light side teachings."

Well, for all we know, there are Melodie horror stories, but those aren't the kind of stories you tell children. Especially their children, who already have enough problems.

True, true. Having 8 is already a Death World; the ecosystem itself is a horror story. Melodie children mostly tell each other heroic stories of plucky bands of kids emerging victorious against all the giant snakes, spiders, and birds of prey.

Darth Occulus is such a cat.

If she manages to not get herself destroyed or lost to the dark side, I expect it will be through somebody telling her, "No, you aren't allowed to get on that table and learn these light side teachings."

Or from a Jedi scratching her behind the ears in the absolute perfect spot. While the Third Barsen'thor's Force ghost looks on, giggling invisibly.

Interlude: Underworld
Interlude: Underworld

Vua's Jeedai captors, the human female and the Wookiee, shoved him across the stony threshold into the torchlit darkness of the catacombs. He stumbled and nearly fell, but recovered quickly. The chitin knobs on his boot-soles clicked against the stone floor but stirred no dust.

He recovered his bearing and looked around. Even with the scorching hot air of the red-orange noon washing through the antechamber like an open oven door, the warrior found himself fighting down a shiver. Immediately he felt cold blasphemous metal pressed to the back of his neck.

"Welcome to your new home, Vong," hissed the human, her hot breath suddenly at his ear. "You're about to become real familiar with our little family here. Now move."

Vua followed the tunnel downward in sullen silence, the Jeedai following right at his shoulders. He tried his best to ignore the sensation, and the metal binders locking his hands together, and carry himself like a warrior. This was just another test. He was an honorable warrior of the Yuuzhan Vong, a holy weapon of the True Gods. The dishonor of captivity was just a test of his resolve. Every doctrine in his nerves and veins told him that these Jeedai were cowards— eventually weakness would prevail and they would release his bindings, and then his teeth and nails would once again taste infidel blood. Until then, he would endure his fate with stoicism, taking the pain as the True Gods delivered it to him.

Besides, anything was better than being trapped in a dying coralskipper, waiting to starve or suffocate. He had it easy now.

Truths like these kept his head held high and his bold warrior's sneer on his lips as the three of them followed the winding downward. But the uncanny feeling only got more profound the deeper they went.

This tomb, this whole world, they all felt… wrong.

Somehow.

Vua could not understand how he knew that. To his eyes, the catacombs were unremarkable, indistinguishable from any other tomb he'd seen aside from the fact that the braziers on the walls were lit and someone had cleared out the dust. The infidels, or someone at least, had been living here. Fine, that much was clear. But as they walked through winding passages, deeper and deeper into the rocky bluff, that uncanny sense of wrongness flooded in ever stronger like the adrenal cocktails that fueled his holy rage.

As they wound through the eerily clean and barren chambers, Vua, with a silent grinding of teeth, became convinced (impossible and irrational and impious as the notion was) that this planet hated him. The chill lingered in his flesh as they walked, creeping through him in a smothering current, cruel and unnatural. Shades seemed to wisp across the corner of his vision, eyelash-quick, vanishing whenever he tried to catch them. Snippets of airy syllables hissed just at the floor of his perception before vanishing like memories of a nightmare. He could not recognize the language—sometimes it reminded him of his native tongue, other times the infidel language, and still other time a bleak guttural speech that seemed to flay the air— but in any case he somehow knew that whatever it was desired his death. The stones themselves seemed to rumble with hatred. He thought of glancing back to see if the Jeedai were similarly ill at ease, but without looking something in his mind shifted and he just knew that his captors were utterly calm.

Most frightening of all, Vua thought, was that none of his walking meditations or silent prayers were causing this to start making sense.

What was this? Was he finally going mad? Had the True Gods tired of watching his failure, and seen fit to curse him for his weakness?

His worried musings came to an end as they arrived at a looming stone door easily twice his size. Massive bowl-shaped braziers of stone blazed with an eerie blue fire on either side of the door. The ice-blue flames seemed to give off a shriek that was somehow deafening and silent at the same time, and their light turned the door's abstract bas-reliefs of jagged shapes into shifting heat-storms of lightning and shadow.

The human Jeedai didn't miss a step. She turned to the Wookiee. "Wrorrngru?"

A silent look passed between the two infidels. The human rolled her eyes. "Don't worry, I called ahead; we're expected."

A grunt came from the huge patchy-pelted beast, and it gestured with a shaggy paw. The door shuddered and, first slowly, but then faster— and undoubtedly due to the standard Jeedai trickery the whole way through, Vua reminded himself— until they stood open. The human prodded him with her lightsaber hilt again, and the three passed into the central chamber beyond.

The chamber was darker than the red-stoned warrens they had passed through, though whether that was truly due to the lack of torches or that uncanny feeling bleeding into the air somehow was unclear to Vua. All he knew was that he wanted to rip the entire place apart, and die redeeming himself in the eyes of the True Gods.

The specter of a glorious death sparked a protostar of defiance in Vua's chest, and he clung to that as he examined the scene.

A third Jeedai, a Chagrian in black robes, sat cross-legged on the bare-hewn stone with his back to them, meditating in some infidel rite of unknown purpose. The subject of its attention dominated the domed chamber— a coffin-shaped lozenge of metal and transparisteel, gleaming and burnished in the half-light.

But it was the thing within the coffin that truly shook Vua, because he actually recognized what shrouded outline he could make out. It looked almost like a suit of vonduun crab armor, but armor gone overgrown and feral, a spiny thicket beneath the glass. And somehow, with that same unnatural sense bubbling up in his mind, he felt the absolute hurricane of power circling around the entombed figure.

The Chagrian Jeedai turned and rose, revealing a scarred face and a horn that looked to have been snapped off at some point. He held himself tall like a warrior. As he stood, Vua's captors sank to their knees, averting their eyes. The submission pleasantly surprised him; who knew infidels could show proper respect like that to their betters?

"Lord Wyyrlok," said the human with respect, "we have completed the task Lord Krayt has assigned us."

The Chagrian looked Vua over with an expression reserved for assessing the muscle tone of a slave. The infidel gave a quiet hmp and his brows went up. "So, your reports were correct. How… interesting. Yes, most interesting indeed." The Chagrian's eyes narrowed, and Vua suddenly felt stark naked and tiny under his wretched gaze. The fury burned in his veins at the affront. The Jeedai would pay for this indignity. All of them.

Then he gestured with a blue hand, and Vua's two captors rose. "Very good, acolytes. You have done well, and more than made up for your failings. Return to the acolyte barracks and await further instruction."

The woman and the Wookiee bowed low and left quickly, the door booming shut behind them. It echoed off the walls and sent the floor atremble… or was it Vua that was trembling?

Vua shook the feeling away. He was more than this flesh, this sinful imperfect body. His was the spirit of the Chosen race of the True Gods, born and shaped like a biot for their glorification. His very existence was a prayer to the Yun-Yammka the Slayer, proving his existence in acid and flame. The infidels could not frighten him.

But however strong Vua's spirit may have been, his flesh was still weak. His heart beat faster despite his willing otherwise, and his shackles shifted on his now sweat-lubricated wrists. The way the Chagrian stared at him… it was like no other infidel had ever looked at him before. Would dare to look at him before. The being's face contained not a speck or dram of fear. His expression would not have looked out-of-place on a fero xyn preparing to pounce. In fact, the broken-horned Jeedai looked as if he was barely a nerve's firing away from executing Vua, were it not for the influence of the very thing in the chamber that Vua was trying very hard not to look at.

The other. The Other. The thing in the coffin. It was alive, and it was watching him. He could not explain how, and could not explain why, but he knew it. He could feel its presence shadowing his mind like a worldship passing overhead, looming and indistinct but all the more massive for it. He could feel the power within, swirling and lensed in the room, building rotation and intensity as a gas-giant's endless thunderhead. The room seemed crushingly small now, and Vua's lungs strained to take in every mouthful of dry air.

And then, it spoke to him. Not in words given voice, and not in sensations and urges like a yammosk's telepathy, but in a grating growl that reverberated in his soul as two mountains rubbing together— but was totally silent to his ears.

You are within and before Darth Krayt, the Dark Lord of the Sith, it said with a tectonic malice that seemed to tear from the very bowels of the earth, to assault his mind, to set every bone vibrating in time with the words. Behold your new Master and despair.

Terror gripped Vua. No! NO!! In every Name of all True Gods, DELIVER ME!!

He summoned every scrap of faith and courage and righteous fury he had and rallied; he threw the Jeedai demon's blasphemies back in its crab-plated face… only to find himself muted, unable to find the words. The counterblast halted on his tongue, and drowned in his fear.

Contempt rumbled from every point in the darkness: Your people are only a fraction of what you could be, Vong. Cripples believing themselves whole. We will drag you to that potential, and add your power to our own. But first, you must be broken. Your people are familiar with the process.

The air went colder than the gap between galaxies. I know I am.

He forced the word out, but it would not come. "Jeh… Jee..."

You have much to learn. The voice was hard and cold and precise as a finely-honed blade of flawless crystal. There are no Jedi here.

Inside Vua's head, a wimple of gravitic anomalies puckered and self-amplified, spawning a singularity that erupted in piercing infinite agony behind his eyes. The black hole grew, amplifying in intensity, the event horizon rushing through his head and consuming all thought, all light, until the chamber around him was eaten as well by the Dark.

We are all One Sith.

Beyond that, Vua saw and heard no more.

A Complicated Profession: Chapter Eight
Book Four: A Complicated Profession
Chapter Eight: In Which a Fraud is Uncovered

"Meet my employer, Marras Tavik. The real author of A Cage of Phantoms. Your guy Soriano's a fraud. He isn't even a real Miraluka."

That left us all silent for a moment. Shock and confusion radiated from Gand's exoskeleton like a cloud of ammonia. I couldn't get a read on whatever OOM-99 had in place of emotions, but I'm assuming he felt the same way. As for me, I didn't know what to believe— the effort of keeping my tendrils under control was taking up all my spare attention. Was it always going to be this hard?

I just knew Seran was watching me, I could feel her eyes on me like a deer watching a predator, unsure if it was a threat. That hurt, but I'm not going to pretend that it didn't make sense. The onus was on me to prove her discomfort wrong.

Gand looked at me, head-plates flexing in a quizzical look. I shrugged, occupying myself by studying the holo of Tavik. "So that's him."

"That it is," Seran said.

"He looks like the Vong did a number on him."

Her indigo tendrils rippled like a midnight ocean, in a way I was learning from experience signalled strong emotions being held in check. "When the Yuuzhan Vong conquered Alpherides, they tried to use the Miraluka as slaves, but realized it wouldn't work. See, Miraluka see using the Force somehow. I can't touch the Force myself, but the way I understand it, the Vong, the Chazrach, and all their biotech can't be seen or affected by the Force. So you can imagine how using them as slave labor wouldn't work out."

"Yeah." I looked at the bleak, weary expression on Tavik's scraggly bearded face, at the barely-healed lesions all over his cheeks. My tendrils squirmed in a way that perfectly mirrored the sinking feeling in my gut.

"And this Gand can imagine what the Vong would do to conquered peoples they cannot find a military use for," Gand chimed in.

Seran nodded. "An entire planet— tens of millions of Miraluka, all rounded up into prison camps. Prison camps made out of materials they couldn't see, and staffed by invisible guards who hated them. When Marras hired me, he told me the whole story." Her tendrils writhed more strongly, and her frown deepened. "It was every bit as horrible as you're imagining right now."

I nodded wordlessly— I'd read the books, but words on a page can never compare to the full-sensory misery of being in a real-life prison camp. Death camp, more likely.

She continued. "They kept Marras in a camp outside the city of Settori. He had always journaled before the war, and he went out of his way to write down his experiences on any kind of paper he could find. Prisoners were killed if they were caught writing messages, so he kept it a secret. The only person Marras told was one other prisoner, a human merchant who'd been trapped on Alpherides when the Vong invaded."

"Soriano," Gand said with a frown.

"Man," I said, tendrils squiggling. "Imagine being the only prisoner in the camp able to actually see the walls and guards. That's a lot of power to have over people."

"Exactly right. Soriano was the only one who could interact with the guards, and he leveraged that power to become the most powerful prisoner in the camp. He could get them things, alert them to what the guards were planning next, possibly even get punishments reduced… or increased. The temptation to use his influence for his own enrichment must have been enormous, and from what I understand, Marras wasn't the only one whose tendrils he clipped."

Disgust gathered on her smooth indigo brow, and her eyes went from mercury to steel. "This guy overheard the guards talking about the Alliance forces coming to retake the planet, then got Marras sent to the torture racks over some trumped-up nerfshit and stole his notes. Marras didn't get out until the camp was liberated, and by then he had no idea what happened to his notes. At first he thought their hiding place had been destroyed in the fighting. Until he saw Soriano's smug little worm face on the HoloNet in a fake blindfold, getting interviewed about his upcoming book. Marras destroyed his body to protect those books, he trusted Soriano when he had no one else to turn to, and what did this human do? Betrayed him. Sold him out and ran, like a vulture-rat. And I'm going to bring him to justice."

"That's— very admirable of you," I said, half-stumbling over the words as my brain tried to compliment her and keep my tendrils absolutely still. "He can't be paying you much."

"Marras had some money saved offworld before the war he's paying me with," she said. "But I'm not doing it for the money. I'm doing it because letting Soriano take credit for this man's work is more than unjust. It's evil. And Marras is far from the last person he screwed over and hurt. He can't be allowed to get away with it."

"Miraluka have no eyes, correct? But they can still see?" Ninety-Nine asked. "How's Soriano managing to pretend to be a Miraluka in public, all day every day, if he's gotta keep his eyes covered?"

Seran sighed. "I don't know. He always wears the same blindfold, so I'm thinking that must be the key. Could be one of those trick blindfolds they use in magic shows, that let the wearer see out while looking totally opaque. Miraluka don't remove their eye coverings around other species to avoid creeping them out, so he's got the perfect cover. And far as I can tell from the HoloNet, nobody suspects a thing."

"Then why would he vanish?" I asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Seran said, shrugging liquidly with her tendrils. "I don't really care why, so long as we can find this scum and make him face up to his crimes."

"Perhaps Soriano felt someone was onto him," I suggested, "and he thought he needed to lay low."

"Or someone took him," Ninety-Nine said. "Maybe another prisoner he fucked over, maybe just a stalker or a guy looking for an easy ransom from his publishers."

I frowned. "Then why would the Qreph guy not have mentioned a ransom message or anything? It's been a while since Soriano disappeared. If this was a kidnapping for ransom, they would've heard something by now."

"All this speculation is pointless," Gand said. "The computer is still decrypting the boarding fob data from Iseno, but once it's done we should be able to get the answers we seek."

"How long will that take?" asked Seran.

"No more than an hour, this Gand would think."

Ninety-Nine unleashed a tinny groan. "All this hurry-up-and-wait stuff's reminding me of the Separatist Army, Boss."

"That is expected when one has to jury-rig a flight computer for code-breaking. It was never going to be optimal. Perhaps if you had let this Gand install that upgraded slicing suite to your intrusion subroutines—"

"Negative, no way am I letting any organic mess around with my motivator again! One slip and it's as good as a memory wipe. That's some foul demagol shit, Boss."

"You are exaggerating the risks, and what's more you're doing it on purpose."

"I am not, you've seen the schematics of my head! My personality matrix is barely…"

I'd heard this argument spin up far too many times to be interested in it yet again, and it never amounted to anything anyway. On the contrary, now seemed like the perfect time to slip off.

I turned to Seran, who met my gaze as she packed away her datapad. Her silver eyes were fiercely patient, almost raptorial. "So… has anyone given you a tour of the ship yet?"

"Not yet," she said. "I get the feeling you're offering, though."

"You sure you're not Force-sensitive? That was some first-order mind reading…"

She snorted, and her tendrils briefly braided with amusement. "Wiseass. Alright, Mister Tipros, you've convinced me. Give me the grand tour."

As we left the cockpit, the last thing I heard was Ninety-Nine call Gand a "chakaar," whatever that means. Probably nothing good.

— — —

The Cloudburst isn't really that big as ships go, so the tour went quick. I showed Seran through all the different compartments, taking the lead as we went. Part of that was so I could warn her if any of Gand's repairs were coming loose, and just to point things out in general. But also, I figured she might not like the idea of me being behind her, where she couldn't see me.

Plus, being able to smell-taste her but not see her was actually helping my tendril control. Or at least it seemed that way. I guess there was only one way to know beyond a doubt— keep practicing with her around until I had a lapse in concentration and she called me out. At the same time, though, that's a maximally fucked situation to put someone under. What kind of person would let themselves be harassed like that?

I knew, difficult as it was, that I couldn't put lay my lack of thassiaprae at Seran's feet and expect her to solve it for me. This was a challenge I had to face on my own.

Now that I knew what I'd been doing, I had no excuse for doing it again.

We came to the crew cabins, basically just tiny private rooms set into the port bulkhead, scarcely more room inside for a small bed, some shelves, and a footlocker. The Cloudburst came standard with four rooms, and only two of them were occupied at the moment— I had one, and Gand had the other. Ninety-Nine didn't need to sleep and only needed the occasional recharge, and Gand used the third room as his workshop. The final room, the only one with an open door, was unoccupied. It would be a guest room, except we didn't have many guests.

Seran had already dropped some of her things on the hard little bed, and Gand had mentioned that she was welcome to use the room while we were all working together.

But…

"If you wanted to stay on board long-term," I said, mentally fighting my tendrils and holding them still as I could, "you could have this room for yourself. We'd have to discuss it as a group, but I think Gand and Ninety-Nine would be okay with it. You're pretty handy in a fight, and I'm sure we'd all like to have you. Well, Ninety-Nine may take some convincing, but he's just naturally paranoid, and I…" my voice trailed away as I realized I was rambling. I coughed the awkward out of my throat and continued. "Well, the choice is up to you."

Seran looked at me with a carefully blank expression, and her indigo tendrils riffled like a shuffling deck of cards. "Thank you for the offer. I'll think about it."

"No rush, I'd still need to talk it over with the guys first anyway. But you'll think about it?"

"I will. Traveling the galaxy alone is… exhausting. It might be nice to travel with some others. And I don't really have any other plans at the moment. Or ever, really."

I tried to ignore her vanilla smell-taste in the air. "You sound like you've been on your own for a long time."

She sighed, looking around the room. "Not really," she said. "Just long enough that I know it's not what I want. But I don't have any better ideas at the moment; I'm just sort of… drifting across the galaxy. I thought I knew what I wanted to do once, a few years back."

"And what was that?" I asked, feeling my tendrils slide past each other slightly faster.

"I was an Interstellar Relations major at the Trell— sorry, I forgot, that's Trellum University on Mikkia— and loved it. So I applied for an internship at the New Republic Intelligence Service. It was pretty prestigious, and I was so proud and excited to get in." A flash of silver as her eyes darted away from me. "But it wasn't long before I realized that intelligence work wasn't for me. Now, I drift."

I nodded, feeling an uncomfortable twinge of memory. I'd had the same feeling strike me Back Then, and it nearly cost me my place in graduate school. "What happened?"

Seran's tendrils writhed snakelike for a moment before returning to their normal flow. "Look. Tipros. It's personal, and I barely know you. I'd prefer keeping it to myself, if you don't mind."

I stepped back out of the room, tendrils squirming. "Right, sorry."

"You didn't know," she said. "It's fine."

Neither of us said anything for a long time. Seran might have been waiting for me to continue the tour. She might have been thinking back to whatever had happened to cast her out across the galaxy. Or, she could have been thinking of something totally different.

Finally, I changed the subject. "Is New Republic Intelligence where you learned stava?" I asked.

"Oh, that? No, it was an internship as an analyst, not for espionage or anything. I just started doing stava for exercise when I was a kid, and just stuck with it." She shot me a fierce silver-eyed smirk. "It's pretty effective, huh?"

"That's a polite way to put it," I said with a mental wince. Once we were away from Iseno I'd whipped up a mouthful of bacta-spit and mopped away the bruises with healing drool, but not Vergere's Art could do nothing to erase memories of getting launched down a flight of stairs. "My swordfighting's a little rusty, I guess, but you're never really prepared to get thrown like that."

She turned back to me and leaned against the doorframe. "Swordfighting, huh."

"Yeah," I said, clamping down on my tendrils. "I spent a year at the Ossus Academy, just recently. I was going to become a Jedi, you know."

Seran's eyes went wide. "Really? You can touch the Force?"

I nodded, and her voice became thoughtful. "Well, that explains all the jumping. I'd thought maybe you were hyper from being high on some kind of spice."

A laugh came out before I could stop it. "No way, really!?"

"You'd be surprised what some criminals will do to get the edge in a fight."

"So you really thought I was some spice-addicted pervert in the middle of a drug frenzy?"

"That I did." Seran frowned. "Well, I'm still not sure about the pervert part. I see you tendrilling me up, Tipros."

I flinched and brought my suddenly frenzying tendrils out of control, before catching the mischievous grin lifting the corner of her mouth. My mind went blank.

"Hey, I was just joking," she laughed.

A weird noise came out of my mouth, half-giggle and half-outrage. "You… you… it… that's so mean!"

"A little. But at the same time, you're actually doing a lot better already," she pointed out. "It's still creeping out for a second or two, but I can see you're trying to control it. Jedi are supposed to be good at controlling their emotions, so that's probably a big part of it."

"Probably," I agreed. "Even though I'm not a trainee anymore, I try to keep up with my meditation and all that. It seems to help."

"Whatever works," she said approvingly. "Just practice your thassiaprae and don't get complacent, and maybe one day we can take you to Mikkia without some poor woman's family beating you to death."

I probably shouldn't have laughed at that, but I did. Mostly I was just relieved. Finally, after far too long, something was starting to go right.

"Hey, it's getting close to an hour," Seran said. "Your friend's going to be calling us any minute when the data decrypts. If they're not still fighting like an old married couple, that is."

"I wouldn't worry about them," I said, taking the lead back into the corridor. "They argue a lot, but it's never amounts to anything serious…"

— — —

Indeed it didn't.

We opened the cockpit door to find Ninety-Nine and Gand back at work, argument seemingly forgotten. Gand was fiddling with the emergency light over the copilot's chair, while Ninety-Nine had his datajack-arm plugged deep into the flight computer's socket and tapped on a datapad with his free hand.

The little battle droid's head swiveled around when he heard us come in. "We were just about to come get you, vod. The computer just finished slicing the fob, and we have a trail for the hunting."

Seran's tendrils tensed, and she turned to Ninety-Nine with that raptor's look in her eyes. "Does that mean you've got a lead on Soriano?"

"We think so," Gand said. "Look at this."

He scrambled down from his folding stepladder, punched in a code on the holoterminal, and instantly the air above it was filled with ghostly blue alphanumerics in line after line like waiting legions.

"Uhh, Gand, what's this actually mean?"

Seran leaned in. "I think I know what this is," she said. "That's astrogation data."

Gand gave an affirmative buzz. "Yes. This is the three-dimensional coordinate plot for Soriano's boarding fob. They are all continually broadcasting to the starliner's computer, which then hyperspace tightbeams them back to the spaceport they departed from."

"Okay," I said. "so what's it tell us?"

"It says that Soriano spent the entire flight to Bellassa onboard the liner," Gand said. "Nothing unusual happened at all, and he exited at the Ussa Spaceport on Bellassa along with all the other passengers."

"That doesn't compute, Boss," Ninety-Nine intoned. "The Qreph rep said there was no cam footage of Soriano in the spaceport."

Seran squinted at the code, coordinates reflecting off her indigo face. "Well, maybe not. He may have just been avoiding their fields of vision, or wearing a disguise for some reason."

"The data is actually stranger than that," Gand said. "This Gand cross-referenced the fob coordinates with the blueprints of the Ussa Spaceport, and look—" He tapped a second key, and the coordinates dissolved into an image: a floating blue floor plan of the spaceport, flipped at a ninety-degree angle and slowly rotating in place like a mica panel trapped in a tractor beam.

A shining yellow dot appeared. "That is the first security cam Soriano would have seen upon disembarking."

A red dot appeared around the corner from it, and slowly converged on its location. "And this is the path Soriano's fob took. Watch what happens."

We watched the little red dot's journey in silence. It slowly tracked toward the corner, like a comet approaching the perihelion of its orbit, then stopped. The dot held position for no longer than ten seconds, before abruptly swinging around and backtracking back toward the loading dock. The dot sped up at this point before reaching the edge of the blueprint, and vanished.

"Soriano enters the spaceport, then immediately turns and leaves before a cam can spot him. After that, he leaves Bellassa entirely." Gand returned us back to the snowstorm of astrogation data. "He leaves the planet again on a slightly Rimward bearing, and of the planets in the hypercone extrapolation, there is only one capable of bearing life."

A planet zoomed up from nothing, a greenish cloud-swathed orb surrounded by orbital data— and prickling with coal-red flags denoting Alliance travel warnings.

The fan of tendrils around Seran's face tensed, their tips hooking forward like snakes preparing to strike. She practically spat the name— "Metalorn."

"The biggest Peace Brigade recruiting ground outside of Hutt Space," Gand buzzed in agreement. "And the only one left in the Core."

My tendrils writhed in unease as a sinking feeling plummeted through me. "Fuck. I can only imagine what the Peace Brigade would want with a guy exposing the horrible shit that went on in Vong prison camps— or someone they think is responsible for it. So here's the question: did he go there on purpose, or was he taken?"

"This Gand does not know. But the route his fob took coincides perfectly with the flight plan of only one ship leaving Bellassa that day."

Gand pressed another set of keys, and pulled up the image of a small cruiser shaped like an Art Deco skyscraper capped by a cluster of four comically oversized engines. "The Regeneration, a Consular-class cruiser registered to an Ithorian named Kar Powreemu. Who, by the way, is one of the highest-ranking Peace Brigade leaders not yet captured by the Galactic Alliance."

The weight of that statement crushed the noise out of the room. It took us a while for the implications to finally seep in and set off the fireworks of comprehension.

Ninety-Nine was the first to comprehend. "Haar'chak," came the soft curse.

I gripped the arm of my chair tighter, feeling an intense sense of doom over my head. "Yeah."

"It is safe to assume, then," said Gand, compound eyes glinting with a grave expression, "that Hudio Soriano was either kidnapped or in league with the Peace Brigade."

"That I did." Seran frowned. "Well, I'm still not sure about the pervert part. I see you tendrilling me up, Tipros."

I flinched and brought my suddenly frenzying tendrils out of control
I'm going to complain a bit, but don't take it too seriously.

I don't like how Seran is treating Tipros here. It feels like bullying somebody with a mental disorder. Tipros wasn't raised to ever care about what his tendrils were doing. Him having to care is a fine thing plot wise, it is an interesting addition to the premise of the character. However, he hasn't been perving on Soran to any notable extent in the narrative. If I'm wrong, my bad, and I do apologize. However, I don't recall that, and this situation just feels like Seran taking advantage of Tipros trying to be culturally sensitive in order to harass him.

In some cultures, showing the soles of one's feet is rude. If a visitor had no idea of that cultural practice, despite having feet, that wouldn't make it okay to treat a visitor, who is trying to be polite, like an ass.

Basically, if you wanted me to think Seran is a bitch, which she plays off with "I was only joking, don't take everything so seriously", you're succeeding marvelously. Still, this chapter seemed like Tipros is so infatuated with her that he's being a doormat, and that just didn't mesh with how he's been acting in general, so I felt like commenting on it.

Anyway, if you don't change anything, I'll still like the story. This just fell flat enough that it prompted me to comment with probably excessive explanation. Even if Seran ends up being a long term love interest, I still won't be overly upset. Of course, if it turns out that Seran is secretly evil...

In things I really liked in this chapter: Gand and Ninety-Nine as an old married couple, and the surprise plot twist about the author. Those were both well done, and the plot twist makes everything up to that point in that subplot suddenly different in way that makes sense in retrospect but I still didn't see coming.

Also, in considering the above, I now am of the opinion that Gand and Ninety-Nine fake arguments when they want Tirpos to leave so they can make bets on what is going to spaz him out next.

@Tascion there's no need to apologize, the interactions between Tipros and Seran are a real challenge for me to get to a point where it's satisfactory. I'm glad to get such clearly well thought out criticism, and you really did make me look at the scene in a new way. So thank you for that, and in the future don't feel the need to temper your criticism with pre-emptive apologies. I'm a big boy, I can handle criticism.

As for your dislike of the scene, I can definitely see where you're coming from. Part of the Fantasy Flight lore I'm using for the Mikkians specifically points out that their culture has a strong code of honor and values being forthright and saying what you mean, even to a degree that other species find uncomfortable or rude. With Seran, part of this translates into a somewhat mean streak in her sense of humor. I didn't really intend for it to come off as particularly bitchy, or for Tipros to come off as an infatuated doormat— more like he's trying to avoid stepping on another one off Mikkia's unknown-to-him cultural eggshells by saying something dumb— though in retrospect I can see why it might come off that way. Something to consider in the future.

Thanks for the commentary.

Last edited:
I just assumed that it was a deliberate author decision to make Seran someone a little mean, and who isn't used to seeing her fellow Mikkians as outsiders (who therefore can't be expected to know the most basic elements of politeness). She clearly isn't the nicest or most adaptable/diplomatic person, and that's valid.

Meanwhile Tipros is giving it all a good try and acting like an absolute dork (that offer of a place to stay was... certainly something, especially after the amazing first impression they have), so that's an interesting dynamic.

"It is safe to assume, then," said Gand, compound eyes glinting with a grave expression, "that Hudio Soriano was either kidnapped or in league with the Peace Brigade."
This may be a bit above their pay grade. I wonder if they'll try calling for help from some of the Jedi who are still speaking to Tipros, or perhaps from his Jensaarai friend.

Back