The Bloody Gates

Intro

greendoor

(Verified Door)
Pronouns
He/Him
Rorscha Mundi is not a beautiful world.

Few Hiveworlds are, for the process of Mega-urbanization and total industrialization more often than not brings ruin to anything resembling a natural environment. Worse, so often the Hives are built more for efficiency than aesthetic. Impossibly tall spires housing government and the wealthy, reaching up towards the uncaring void, tapering out into titanic mountains of steel and rockcrete where countless billions live out their small lives in even smaller living spaces. A architectural expression of Mankind's ambition, of the unfathomable might and inertia of the Imperium, of the ideals of Imperial hierarchy. A Hive World is not usually beautiful, but it's appearance conveys a message nonetheless.

The message that Rorscha Mundi conveys by it's appearance is something rather different.

Camp Righteous Endurance, just one of several Firebases set up by Taskforce Endless Struggle, is set up among a cluster of ancient buildings whose purpose is likely known only to the Emperor. High walled and made of stout rockcrete, their ruined environs at least provide ready made cover and fortifications for the cluster of Imperial regiments staged there. The rubble of past wars and the broken scraps of ancient machinery, at first an irritant, when swept up by armored bulldozers, servitors, and by the arms of Penal Legionaries made into excellent barricades and scratch built defenses for the dozens of artillery pieces being towed in from the dropships every fitful hour.

Beyond the walls of firebase, the features of this battlefield of a world are clearly visible. stretching for dozens of kilometer, is what on any other Hive World would've been outhive habs, manufacturems, and other infrastructure. The overflow and spill of a city with the population of a world, everything that could not fit within the hive itself. Here, the case was instead mere all the ruin that could not fit inside. Just rubble, broken buildings, and ancient, abandoned infrastructure as far as the eye could see. Here and there figures can be seen in the rubble, were one to be stationed on sentry duty. The occasional intact building could be seen in the distance, where Manufacturems among the rubble still grind out some production, or else a fortified hab complex stands all alone in the ruin. A Church stands defiant among a cluster of shattered buildings, the battered gold of a statue of the great conqueror Saint Savine standing defiant amid the ruin of a world she brought back to the Emperor's light. There are roads, kept clean of the rubble by the locals, whom the Imperial Guard and the local defense forces have taken command of with great enthusiasm, trucking supplies and troops from Spaceports and mustering stations farther back towards the forward bases.

Camp Righteous Endurance, for it's part, looks out over a large lake, if it can be called that. The liquid (it is certainly not water) that comprises the body is no doubt the run off of centuries of production and pollution. A thing many Hive Worlds have, but most don't have what looks like the corroded, ancient spire of some forgotten building sticking out of the middle of the lake. Beyond the lake, lies a Dam, one that the camp is already aware is held by the enemy despite no official briefing on the subject being distributed, nor anyone even having any knowledge of who or what the enemy is. The fact that the artillery batteries have been shelling it nonstop all night, and into the morning is a bit of a giveaway.

And finally, towering over even the Dam, dominating the skyline of anyone who even turns south, is Hive Lozepath.

It looms over the entire battlefield like an ancient monster that has survived the devastation of this world over the ages, and will survive long after the Emperor's armies and perhaps even the Emperor's rule has left Rorschah Mundi. A city the size of a mountain, with the population of a small world, a fortress whose scars and toppled spires speak of having repelled numerous conquerors before. A fortress defended by an enemy yet unknown to any of the soldiers huddled in it's shadow.

And a fortress whose assault begins in just under an hour.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Within Camp Righteous Endurance, you are sitting down for what might well be your last meal.

The "Cafeteria" is a high walled room whose ceiling has been hastily patched by Imperial Guard engineers with tarps and flakboard sheets, and the ground cleared of rubble and debris. Portable field kitchens manned by expressionless servitors and somehow even more dour Munitorum service personnel line one wall, and each soldier of the Penal Legion is provided a tray of food, a plastic glass, and a blank stare. Portable benches and tables dominate the center of the room, arranged in neat rows.

The food is somewhat more palatable than the usual rations on the prison blocks and the bilge decks that have been all of your last few weeks (and months, and years). Course crusts of black bread, a hash of grox and a few other thankfully unidentifiable ingredients, and a glass of Ploin juice to make sure you don't get scurvy before you catch a bullet for someone whose life matters.

While you sit, you have a moment to appraise eachother, as a squad. You only have been a squad since barely a day ago, when the homogeneous mass of Penals were assigned to seemingly random collections of eight soldiers, a sergeant and a corporal appointed seemingly at random, and then all given the same work detail for the rest of the day. You hadn't even been graced with a name for your squad, you are just Squad 123-B. You haven't really had a chance to talk to each other as Squadmates, given the circumstances. Now at least, seemed a decent chance for introductions, given you're likely going to die together very soon.

Any such chance is rushed, or perhaps enhanced, as another squad of Penals approach your table, their own food precariously balanced as they walk over the uneven, cracked floor of the 'Cafeteria.' Unlike the motley collection that is your squad, these men and women look fairly uniform, like they're all from the same place and walk in life. Pale skins, powerful builds, and arms, legs, and other parts replaced by bulky cybernetic limbs seemingly at random. They sit across from you, but given how crowded the cafeteria is, probably one of the few places they could find to sit.

There's a moment as the other squad gets seated, before one of them speaks up. The stripe hastily sown onto her flak jacket identifies her as their sergeant. Her dark hair is shaved along one side to expose a pair of cerebral plug ports. "Sergeant O'Garan, Squad 123-F." She identifies herself, addressing the whole of your squad. She seems proud of the rank. "The Leashes are saying we're attacking soon." A fact known to everyone with ears. "Seeing as we're about to be pushing into a scrap together..." Them being 123-F would make you the same platoon, both part of Platoon 123. "I thought I'd just ask, why you all signed up."

There's a momentary silence. A bold question to ask, though also an obvious one.

Another one of the soldiers from 123-F speaks up, a young man with a shaved head and a bulky cybernetic arm. "123-A and E are a collection of murderers and Gangers who are sticking together. 123-C are 'Penitent', their Sergeant, Colm, refuses to let them tell us what they did, only that they're redeeming themselves."

"And D is where they stacked all the lunatics." Another one of them opines, a bearded man with a pair of augmetic legs.

Their Sergeant nods at her troops assessment. "I was hoping that we'd have someone reliable to back us up." She seems to realize the absurdity of such a wish. "Someone who won't run like cowards, or prioritize dying gloriously over winning the fight, yeah?"

Much more reasonable, perhaps still too much to hope for.

"I'll share first." O'Garan offers. "We, 123-F I mean, are from Ritzold Alpha, a station orbiting Ritzold." A few of you have heard of the planet, mostly as a place things are shipped through rather than anywhere important on it's own merits. It seems miserably unfair that they'd all be assigned to the same squad, but then, few of you know anyone else in this nightmare of a 'Legion.'

"Our Choir group was distributing excess rations. To the workers who couldn't afford it, either because of punishment pay or injuries putting them out of work. Doing our part to help out our fellow man, ensure they can do the Emperor's work." She continues. "Only, the Honorable Merchant Company of Ritzold doesn't like that. Distributing rations that don't come from the company's distributors is against Charter Law, as is running non company approved recreation like a unauthorized Choir Group. Charter Security doesn't believe in forgiveness like the Emperor, so here we are."

She pauses a moment. "Nobody can fight like a good Voidclan work gang, but even we can't kill all of the...whatever is out there in that Hive. So how's about you lads and lasses? How'd you end up here?"

OOC: This is an opportunity to introduce your character and speak to the other PCs. Next update will be Friday Night (Mountain Time), please post before then.

OOC Link

Last edited:
Celine morosely picks through the food on her tray before replying, her eyes not quite rising to meet the Sergeant's: "...I don't know why they picked me. I wish they hadn't. Vankilla was awful, sure, but at least the overseers there usually looked at me and decided I was too scrawny for anything but cleaning detail or the kitchen staff. I guess they must have wanted to send back some locals to this siege?" A split second later, she scoffs. "Who knows, maybe I looked uncharacteristically fearsome when I pinned the last hand that 'just wanted to see much the tattoos covered' to the table with a stray fork?" She finishes with a half-hearted gesture to the great sprawl of colourful inks that might have made some Ecclesiarchal shrines look restrained. "Celine Lanate, by the way."

Last edited:
Cheri cleared her throat, not having touched much of her food, only having sipped her drink, despite her time in prison eating gruel she did at least seem to be in relatively good shape, she probably was a recent pickup. She let the man speak a bit before nodding "I'm the squad Seargent of 123-B, Cheri, Just Cheri" She gives a smile and a chuckle, leaning her chin on her arm as she glances at the Seargent of Squad 123-F "I don't think we particularly have a theme like the rest of you, hell, I haven't even met the rest of these dorks before lunch, though lack of deodorant might be some of their crimes." She gives the rest of sly grin "In all seriousness, I got on the bad side of a censor, they didn't take well to my joke about an Ecclisarchal Preist and the little boy" she gives a shrug and stretches, drumming her fingers as she thumbs a pendant of the Aquila hanging from her neck. "Some people just don't know how to take a good joke I suppose, but what can you do, people in power tend to walk around with a stick up their ass, at least I can speak freely here, what are they gonna do, sentence me to double death?" she gives a slight roll of her eyes and flashes another grin at the others, her teeth still pearly white and straight despite her tenure in prison, she had obviously taken some great pains to make sure she kept herself intact despite the conditions, though she knew as well as anyone it was just for the sake of her own sanity, not for the potential of returning to the world, she was going to die soon, along with everyone else.

She gives a shrug and stretches, drumming her fingers as she thumbs a pendant of the Aquila hanging from her neck. "Some people just don't know how to take a good joke I suppose, but what can you do, people in power tend to walk around with a stick up their ass, at least I can speak freely here, what are they gonna do, sentence me to double death?" she gives a slight roll of her eyes and flashes another grin at the others, her teeth still pearly white and straight despite her tenure in prison

Sylvia spoke up hesitantly, still shoveling some of her grox/mystery-meat hash into her mouth in rapid mechanical chewing motions. "One of the Commissars might blow your head up. I saw them detonate Steve's collar yesterday during roll call."

She swallowed the last spoonful with some difficulty, finishing her meal and putting her plastic spork down. "I'm not sure why, but they've been on a hair-trigger lately. It's usually never a good idea to stand out near a Commissar. I've only been in the legion for a week or two, but I've seen more than two dozen executions."

"I was sold to one of the Underhive gangs on Karankar. I had a talent for numbers, so they made me keep records and do paperwork." Sylvia explained.

"They're training me to be a field Chirurgeon. My name's Sylvia, from Cell Block 423918-B North-East. I ran with a small-time prison gang back on Vankilla, but our entire block was put into the Legion, so I don't think the Wardens ever took any notice of me in particular."

She glanced around the table, eyes flitting over the rest of the squad. "I'll probably be the one treating any injuries taken. I know how to stitch wounds closed, surgically remove bullets and shrapnel, prevent infection from taking a limb, and set broken bones, among other things."

"The Stimms in your standard-issue medikit will keep you moving, but they won't save you in the long-run afterward. You'll need medical attention to survive, and I'll be the closest thing to a medic on-hand."

Last edited:
Jeradresh Za'khar Kazron, or 'Jerad Sophon', as he had learned to call himself sat stiffly at the table, eating chunks of the chemical tasting hash with mechanical efficiency and a carefully neutral expression. How he longed for a cut of real grox, or maybe even a lamsha flank drizzled in elsenberry sauce, but he kept his private thoughts to himself. Particularly the ones that might sound like he regretted throwing himself to the mercy of the 'kindness' of the Imperium of Mankind.

He was a dark-skinned man in stark contrast to the shock of messy white hair that topped his head. His features were refined, his eyes blood-shot and tired. He did his best to ignore the itching of his ill-fitting uniform, and couldn't help but glance at the corporal stripes on his shoulder. At least a bit of authority might help him get out of this with his life.
Their Sergeant nods at her troops assessment. "I was hoping that we'd have someone reliable to back us up." She seems to realize the absurdity of such a wish. "Someone who won't run like cowards, or prioritize dying gloriously over winning the fight, yeah?"

Much more reasonable, perhaps still too much to hope for.

"I'll share first." O'Garan offers. "We, 123-F I mean, are from Ritzold Alpha, a station orbiting Ritzold." A few of you have heard of the planet, mostly as a place things are shipped through rather than anywhere important on it's own merits. It seems miserably unfair that they'd all be assigned to the same squad, but then, few of you know anyone else in this nightmare of a 'Legion.'

"Our Choir group was distributing excess rations. To the workers who couldn't afford it, either because of punishment pay or injuries putting them out of work. Doing our part to help out our fellow man, ensure they can do the Emperor's work." She continues. "Only, the Honorable Merchant Company of Ritzold doesn't like that. Distributing rations that don't come from the company's distributors is against Charter Law, as is running non company approved recreation like a unauthorized Choir Group. Charter Security doesn't believe in forgiveness like the Emperor, so here we are."

She pauses a moment. "Nobody can fight like a good Voidclan work gang, but even we can't kill all of the...whatever is out there in that Hive. So how's about you lads and lasses? How'd you end up here?"

OOC: This is an opportunity to introduce your character and speak to the other PCs. Next update will be Friday Night (Mountain Time), please post before then.

OOC Link
"Jerad Sophon, after the Saint. As my colleagues have already established, I am afraid we are quite the disparate lot," Jeradresh introduced himself, giving a pleasant smile at the O'Garan. He speaks with a thick, lilting accent but each syllable is spoken with precision and an odd sort of elegance. One might even call it elevated, even. "I myself am not here for a crime at all, per say, but rather to prove my innocence thereof. It is, how you say, a 'trial by ordeal'?"

He makes the sign of the Aquila across his chest, bowing his head. "You might call me a foreigner. I was born outside of this blessed Imperium, and only came to the Emperor's Light later in my life. I was graced to be able to safeguard some of His relics in the time before the arrival of the Imperial Liberation Fleet, and your-and my now, I suppose-Imperium welcomed me. But though the Emperor knows His own, men cannot be so sure, yes? I could have simply become a labor helot, or surrendered into the service of the Imperial Creed, but alas, I am a proud man, yes? I wished for full citizenship, to be able to cross the Emperor's Imperium and be known for one of his own. Hence, trial by ordeal." And also because 'Former Chaos Worshipper' was a harder sell than 'Just a pagan'. But they didn't need to know that.

'Jerad' smiles sardonically. "I am told that my citizenship will be granted if I die an honorable death as well, but I would prefer it to not be post-humous so I am in no hurry to die gloriously. Have no fear for my bravery either, Sergeant O'Garan. I am quite familiar with near-certain death."

Like with the Inquisition. Or that Imperial Guard platoon. Or his mother.

"Besides, one can only fail a Trial by Ordeal if they are not innocent. Dying a coward's death would mean I failed the Trial by Ordeal, for the Emperor would know me not. And as I am loyal to the Throne, that is obviously impossible. The logic is clear, as it has been explained to me repeatedly." The logic made no sense, but he wasn't going to tell that to a szrhait Inquisitor of all people.

Celine morosely picks through the food on her tray before replying, her eyes not quite rising to meet the Sergeant's: "...I don't know why they picked me. I wish they hadn't. Vankilla was awful, sure, but at least the overseers there usually looked at me and decided I was too scrawny for anything but cleaning detail or the kitchen staff. I guess they must have wanted to send back some locals to this siege?" A split second later, she scoffs. "Who knows, maybe I looked uncharacteristically fearsome when I pinned the last hand that 'just wanted to see much the tattoos covered' to the table with a stray fork?" She finishes with a half-hearted gesture to the great sprawl of colourful inks that might have made some Ecclesiarchal shrines look restrained. "Celine Lanate, by the way."
"I believe that consignment to the Penal Legions is partially randomized from what I have observed, though I have noted a particular predilection for those convicted of violent crime. Not to imply that you murdered anyone," Jerad commented. "But if you made a habit of stabbing men in the hands with kitchen utensils, I suppose that would likely qualify. A pity they weren't sent instead. A failure to respect the religious and artistic merit of tattoos such as yours is a crime in and of itself."

"Some people just don't know how to take a good joke I suppose, but what can you do, people in power tend to walk around with a stick up their ass, at least I can speak freely here, what are they gonna do, sentence me to double death?"
"They can. I've seen it done," Jeradresh commented blandly as he forced down another mouthful of mash.

"They're training me to be a field Chirurgeon. My name's Sylvia, from Cell Block 423918-B North-East. I ran with a small-time prison gang back on Vankilla, but our entire block was put into the Legion, so I don't think the Wardens ever took any notice of me in particular."

She glanced around the table, eyes flitting over the rest of the squad. "I'll probably be the one treating any injuries taken. I know how to stitch wounds closed, surgically remove bullets and shrapnel, prevent infection from taking a limb, and set broken bones, among other things."

"The Stimms in your standard-issue medikit will keep you moving, but they won't save you in the long-run afterward. You'll need medical attention to survive, and I'll be the closest thing to a medic on-hand."
Jerad clasps his hands together. "And they put you in with us, instead of attaching you to the platoon command squad? I can scarcely imagine our fortune. Particularly given the appearance of our upcoming objective. It looks very..." Jerad hesitates a moment. "Unclean. I would rather not lose a limb to some infection or another. I'm just concerned the other units may try to poach you for themselves. Stick close, yes? We will keep you alive, and you keep the rest of us alive."

He motions a hand at O'Garan. "Stay close by, eh? Better our own personal medicae than the platoon medicae, no?"

Last edited:
"I believe that consignment to the Penal Legions is partially randomized from what I have observed, though I have noted a particular predilection for those convicted of violent crime. Not to imply that you murdered anyone," Jerad commented. "But if you made a habit of stabbing men in the hands with kitchen utensils, I suppose that would likely qualify. A pity they weren't sent instead. A failure to respect the religious and artistic merit of tattoos such as yours is a crime in and of itself."
Celine looks up with a slight start, as though she hadn't expected anyone to reply to her words. Toying with the painted beads woven through her hair, she speaks again: "No, wasn't on Vankilla for murder. Used to be part of a troupe of performers who'd wander the midlevels of the loyalist hives. Not like people here have many options for spending their free time, so it was decently popular. Drew enough of a crowd to keep us all in full bellies. What a way to return home, hm? I suppose if I live through this, they might just let me go here, save the bother of going through the void again." Her voice turns to muttering. "Should have been enough years by now for anyone to have forgotten my face..."

A split second later, she scoffs. "Who knows, maybe I looked uncharacteristically fearsome when I pinned the last hand that 'just wanted to see much the tattoos covered' to the table with a stray fork?" She finishes with a half-hearted gesture to the great sprawl of colourful inks that might have made some Ecclesiarchal shrines look restrained. "Celine Lanate, by the way."

A small, mousy-haired private twitched visibly at the mention of stabbing attempts with kitchen utensils. Smoop's hand went involuntarily to the burn mark along her jaw where one of the emissary's goons had smacked her with a shock maul. It still hurt to chew, though that hadn't stopped Smoop from loading her plate.

"Nyla Smoop," she said quietly, her voice quite as small as her person. "Auspex operator."

Her next words were almost whispered. "I'm in for attempted murder of an Administratum official."

Rorscha Mundi. Hiveworld. An awful place, infernal from ground to sky. The last fragment of hope for it died as the space-touching spires were set. A declaration of victory by mankind over the dead planet. Worse, it is the unwanted home of Filly Gwosk.

She reminds herself why by glancing around the cafeteria. Those that walk there, those that eat there, those that mindlessly chat there… creatures, every single one of them. Too engrossed in their filth to even realize what they are. And those closest to her–where her eyes can see the thinnest hair, her nose can smell the worst odor and her ears can listen clearly to their muttering–earn the greatest hatred.

Her hands twitch reflexively. Both thought to grab a shock baton that isn't there anymore. A shock baton that she imagines swinging to break the jaw of the fast-talking sergeant. Old enforcer habits. Teaches the impish ones the virtue of silence.

Alas that occupation means suicide if her company hears about it. Despite all her internal bravado, Filly's not just going to hand her life away so easily. The cool touch of the Imperial icon on her chest provides justification enough to cling on. The Emperor's presence is a refreshing cleanser, and she pleases herself to think He is watching her. The only clean one there.

Instead, Filly breathes out. She sounds like the exhaust of a road-wheeler. Her throat, as if a series of tubes, propels rancid air. Full of recycled carbon dioxide. There is a hint of the food she's eating too. Everyone in the table can tell she's a hiver, and, from the heat of that breath, someone from the lower hive.

"Filly," she says.

A single word. Emotionless. The barest essence of a conversation. She thinks it's an economic use of the language. Not only that, but she also deserves a pat on the back for not expressing her evident dislike. The tone of enmity lost its flame before the first syllable. It festers below the surface for now.

Last edited:
Zothene listened carefully to the words of the people gathered under penal coercion, like xemself. The hash's flavor was paltry in comparison to swirl of savory, sweet, sour, and spicy preparation of wild fish and occasional land-walking meat of xeir home, but xey did not mind this part of xeir hardship too terribly, food was food, xey only hoped that xeir utensils and plate would see better days than xeir body was likely to soon. Xey knew enough from civilian study of war prior to charges to be aware that it was a grinder of damage and injuries. Zothene's opinion of Imperial justice had steadily decreased in the midst of such circumstances. Xey thought a silent prayer to the Astronomican that better means of reconciling grievances be found than this, before raising xeir pale head of red braided crown hair to address the lot around them.

The urge to name xeir fork and knife was quite strong. Just as Zothene missed xeir sword forged by request from a blacksmith, an arming sword xey had named Ashton. Stars away, now, like xeir living family.

"Zothene Caliburn, xey/xem, from the urbanized arboreal world Pyrolux, somewhat handy with a sword, piety, and technology." Xeir violet eyes looked about momentarily as xey spoke before settling on looking past O-Garan. "My case is a little complicated. Loyal to the Throne and all, an Administraturm archivist past, but I merely proposed some theories about machine spirits I best not repeat lest I get us all into trouble. Suffice to say that to Imperium and Mechanicus authorities both I had proposed heresey, but they knew I meant no rebellion, just an accidental danger to the way of things, so I am here, rather than a worse fate, as Imperial law demanded something be done about me."

Xey paused to sip the juice more for the sake of fluids in xeir body than for any joy of flavor. "May we find some protection together, in the hell of war under the Emperor's watch." Xey did not say how wretched xey thought the whole affair was. "If we are to fight soon, then so be it. I can only hope to lend my knowledge and practice of my ancestral scholar-beserker way to guard us. Would you happen to know what are target might be, O'Garan?"

"In all seriousness, I got on the bad side of a censor, they didn't take well to my joke about an Ecclisarchal Preist and the little boy" she gives a shrug and stretches, drumming her fingers as she thumbs a pendant of the Aquila hanging from her neck.
"Jerad Sophon, after the Saint. As my colleagues have already established, I am afraid we are quite the disparate lot," Jeradresh introduced himself, giving a pleasant smile at the O'Garan. He speaks with a thick, lilting accent but each syllable is spoken with precision and an odd sort of elegance. One might even call it elevated, even. "I myself am not here for a crime at all, per say, but rather to prove my innocence thereof. It is, how you say, a 'trial by ordeal'?"

He makes the sign of the Aquila across his chest, bowing his head. "You might call me a foreigner. I was born outside of this blessed Imperium, and only came to the Emperor's Light later in my life. I was graced to be able to safeguard some of His relics in the time before the arrival of the Imperial Liberation Fleet, and your-and my now, I suppose-Imperium welcomed me. But though the Emperor knows His own, men cannot be so sure, yes? I could have simply become a labor helot, or surrendered into the service of the Imperial Creed, but alas, I am a proud man, yes? I wished for full citizenship, to be able to cross the Emperor's Imperium and be known for one of his own. Hence, trial by ordeal." And also because 'Former Chaos Worshipper' was a harder sell than 'Just a pagan'. But they didn't need to know that.

A small, mousy-haired private twitched visibly at the mention of stabbing attempts with kitchen utensils. Smoop's hand went involuntarily to the burn mark along her jaw where one of the emissary's goons had smacked her with a shock maul. It still hurt to chew, though that hadn't stopped Smoop from loading her plate.

"Nyla Smoop," she said quietly, her voice quite as small as her person. "Auspex operator."

Her next words were almost whispered. "I'm in for attempted murder of an Administratum official."
"Zothene Caliburn, xey/xem, from the urbanized arboreal world Pyrolux, somewhat handy with a sword, piety, and technology." Xeir violet eyes looked about momentarily as xey spoke before settling on looking past O-Garan. "My case is a little complicated. Loyal to the Throne and all, an Administraturm archivist past, but I merely proposed some theories about machine spirits I best not repeat lest I get us all into trouble. Suffice to say that to Imperium and Mechanicus authorities both I had proposed heresey, but they knew I meant no rebellion, just an accidental danger to the way of things, so I am here, rather than a worse fate, as Imperial law demanded something be done about me."
@Reiyu

"Diverse group." One of the soldiers from 123-F, the bald youth, says. "Don't think I'd mind you lot having my back." Despite his claims, he glances at Filly, as if suspicious of someone who didn't enumerate their own crimes. "Corporal Hansan. I'd give my last name, but it's just a string of numbers, so...."

"Yeah." O'Garan says, agreeing with Hansan. "Glad we all understand each other then. We're gonna be in the grease and blood together soon enough."

It's hard not to notice that not all is so easily put aside. One of the squad, a woman with a Cerebral plug port on the back of her neck, gives a suspicious look at Zothene. Her fingers are curled into the sign of the Cog, as if warding herself. "Nora." She concedes her name but nothing else. "Bloody Hereteks." it's not hard to hear her mutter.

Another, the hulking man with a beard, gives a suspicious look to Jerad. "Pagan, huh? How many ships have you captured? How many good folk have you put out an Airgate to appease your false Spirits?"

It takes Sophon a moment to understand what he means. The Apostate Void Clans, as his old masters used to call them. Pagan Mercenaries and raiders. Occasionally an ally against the hated Imperium, more often an enemy of both. Of course Imperial Void Clan would think first of Pirates, rather than the more distant and less threatening Pagan cultures on distant worlds. Or maybe they just think Pagan is another word for worshiper of the Exalted Four.

(OOC: Lore (Chaos Cults) success, 0 DoS. Technically not a Chaos cult, but it fits)

"Little better than Daemons anyway. If they're not one and the same." Nora says, the target of her ire changed. "Hey, 'Pagan'. Maybe you'll meet some old friends in the Hive." It sounds like a joke, but there's no humor in it.

"You think it's Heretics?" Hansan says, shaking his head. "I'd put my money on the Blueskins. They're always encouraging traitors and rabble rousers, like the cowards they are." He pauses a moment. "...If I had any money, that is."

That seems doubtful to Celene. There wasn't much in the way of education on Rorschah Mundi, but everyone knew their enemy was Heretics, Mutants, and Traitors, homegrown and invading from the stars. The only Xenos people were afraid of were 'Stealers and Greenskins. Only offworlders worried about the Blueskins.
(OOC: Lore (Rorschah Mundi) success with 3 DoS)

"Eh, I wouldn't worry about the Pagan sacrificing us to his evil spirits." O'Garan says. "You heard him. If the Emperor doesn't favor his redemption, he'll be sleeping in the void before he can do anything."

"I suppose so." Nora says. "I doubt any of them will last an hour anyway."

Jerad clasps his hands together. "And they put you in with us, instead of attaching you to the platoon command squad? I can scarcely imagine our fortune. Particularly given the appearance of our upcoming objective. It looks very..." Jerad hesitates a moment. "Unclean. I would rather not lose a limb to some infection or another. I'm just concerned the other units may try to poach you for themselves. Stick close, yes? We will keep you alive, and you keep the rest of us alive."

He motions a hand at O'Garan. "Stay close by, eh? Better our own personal medicae than the platoon medicae, no?"

"Scrap, you got a medic in your squad?" O'Garan says. "Sounds like someone misfiled a form." She pauses a moment. "Not that I'm complaining. We'll be sticking close for sure. Pagan and Heretek or not....Err, no offense intended."

Nora just keeps making the sign of the Cog, though now she can't seem to decide which of Squad 123-B to direct it too.

+++++++++++
The Squad only has another minute or so to finish consuming their meal before the doors of the 'Cafeteria' open, and in pour your overseers.

A dozen men and women in bulky, grey painted Carapace Plates, bearing shockmauls and shotguns, and with utterly impassive looks on their faces. An ignorant might be forgiven assuming these are Adeptus Arbites, but the symbols on their pauldrons are the Winged Skull of the Ordo Prefectus. Enforcers, commonly known as Hangmen's Shadows among the Legion.

And just behind the Shadows, a pair of Hangmen themselves. For all the nicknames, they look more like shadows than their Enforcers, black coated and with tall peaked caps, each with hand on a bulky pistol and a vicious chainsword. The shadows of death, each ready to end someone's wretched life in an instant for the smallest slight or failing.

Commissars.

"The Company will proceed to the Mustering Field! The most important day of your wasted lives are upon you, Scum!" One of the two says, using a Laud Hailer to be heard over the din of five hundred or so Legionaries crammed into the Cafeteria. His tone brooks no argument. The Legion company starts to get up, dropping their trays to the tables getting up, and forming up to leave through the doors. A few linger, trying to quickly finish their meals, or else testing the patience of the Commissars.

The sound of cycling shotgun actions and activating Shock mauls puts some urgency in even their movements.

Before long, Squad 123-B is swept along with the current, Platoon 123 and the rest of the 25th Company of the 557th Legion being marched through the rough hewn stone corridors of Camp Righteous Endurance. Many other Guard forces are mustering at the same time. A collection of red coated, saber bearing Rough Riders don't even look up from tending their Servitor-Horses as as the mass of humanity is marched past their makeshift 'Stable'. A collection of sullen men in olive drab flak with bowl helmets from a Tellosi Rifle Regiment, despite the rumors saying they were under Commissariat watch for their homeworld rebelling at the behest of the Tau, still find the wherewithal to sneer as the Legion passes by their dugouts. A sergeant even shouts 'Try not to die too quickly, Scum!'.

A few of the Legionaires, brave or just hoping the Commissars aren't looking, toss back rude hand gestures and shouted insults about 'Bluebloods' and 'Soon to be Legionaries'.

A dozen Bolwerc Shock Troopers in shined Carapace Plate over multicolored flak cloth raise their rifles and chainhalberds in a half mocking, half solemn salute to what is sure to be the first wave of a very bloody assault. In contrast, a platoon of soldiers in cut down Cadian Gear just watch apraisingly as the company marches by, as if assessing the unit's value as a meat shield.

Finally, the Company arrives at the Mustering Field. In effect it is a high rockcrete wall covering a large expanse of relatively flat rockcrete from the direction of Hive Lozepath. Along one side of the 'Field' are huge stacks of crates and the trucks to move them, along with a few benches manned by Munitorum staffers and servitors, piled high with weapons and equipment.

At the back of the field, in the shadow of the Rockcrete wall, stands a podium, upon which stands a man wearing the same dull grey-blue fatigues as the common legionaries, but his Carapace vest, flak cap, and the sword he carries marks him out as an Officer. Captain Remfew, the 25th Company's field leader, and a figure who so rarely bothered to interact with the common mass that the rumor mill wasn't even sure if he was a disgraced Guard Officer or merely a Munitorum Officer assigned directly to the Penal Legion.

Standing by his side is a figure who is rather more well known among the common soldiery. The same dark flak coat as the rest of the Commissars, the same tall peaked cap. The look on his face that sells the impression that he sees the Penals as not even worth contempt, less than enemies, more a crop to be reaped than a mob of psychotics, heretics, and assorted criminals. And on his hip is the same Bolt Pistol as the others carried, but this one holds a special fear.

Everyone in Platoon 123 knows what a Bolt Pistol sounds and looks like as it fires, as well as the terrible things it does to an unprotected human body. The know this courtesy of that malevolent block of steel and technology and hate, and they know because it because Shrake had used to end a dispute-turned-knifefight on the Warp journey here. It'd take hours to scrub out the stains in the deckplating.

Nobody wants another demonstration.

The Hangman above simply watches, but his shadows do the work of organizing the Penals into an organized line to march past the piles of equipment. Squad 123-B, perhaps blessedly, perhaps not, is near the front of the line.

Captain Remfew retrieves a Laud Hailer, and as the line shuffles slowly forward to retrieve their gear, he begins to give what might pass for a mission briefing.

"Filthy Rebels hold the Dam ahead!" He shouts over the Hailer. "They are dug in and well armed!"

@xjax1
The first of Squad 123-B reaches the benches with weapons. The Munitorum Adept manning it smooths her robes. "Sergeant...Cheri." She seems puzzled, glancing at her slate. "...You were in Pride and Penance. How could you end up in-" One of the Enforcers, patrolling down the benches, gives a glare at the adept and she goes quiet. A shame, it's rare to meet fans.

Adept sighs, and shoves Cheri's gear across the table, along with a dataslate. The former actor shoulders on her Flak Jacket over her armored fatigues, then the heavy Voxcaster they'd provided, and only then glances at the slate. Mission Objectives, it seems. "Ahem, there's also some Mission specific gear. For you to distribute to your squad" the Adept says, and shoves a small pile of gear towards the sergeant: A pair of bags with 'Explosive, this side towards enemy' printed on the side, a pair of wire cutters, and what looked like a Grapnel launcher. She glances around again. "Emperor speed." She mouths, as Cheri is pushed forward by the rest of the squad.

"The third Company of the 73rd Hezean Mechanized will ferry the company across the lake under the cover of artillery fire-" The Captain Continues.

@Shephard
"Corporal...Sophon." the Adept says, as the Penitent appears. She scoffs, as if seems impossible a Penal Legionaire could have any saintly quality, much less the wisdom of Sophon. She shoves his gear forward. Standard issue Lasrifle, iconic to most Imperials, recognizable only as a tool of death and hatred for the Corporal. A Flak jacket, helmet and other hard armor to buckle over his armored fatigues. Grenades, a wicked combat knife, and various other gear.

The Corporal can't help but notice the the 'Death to Heretics' inscribed in the Helmet, only partially covered up by Munitorum grease pencil. That, and the large scar right around the back of the head, only barely patched up.

"-And deploy us to capture or destroy defensive positions on the Dam." The Captain continues in the background.

@Kensai
"Legionaire Smoop." The Adept says, as the next in line passes by. "I am obligated to tell you that the Machine Spirit of the M39 Infantry Pack Auspex is regarded as worth more than your life. Your redemption for your crimes will be null and void should it not be returned intact." From the way she's looking at Smoop, it seems very likely she absolutely believes what she just said. "Safeguard it with your life. Literally." She adds, as the Auxpex bearer buckles on her flak jacket and holsters her sidearm.

"We will use Grappling Lines and Satchel charges to assault, and ensure the destruction of the enemy artillery! This is paramount if we are to bring in followup waves!" The Captain shouts in the background. "Artillery on the opposite shore will assist our assault, keeping the enemy's heads down, and being available to our forward observers and sergeants! Do not waste the support the Munitorum has graciously granted us!"

@Reiyu
The Technomat is provided his gear without much fanfare, it simply being shoved across the table. But Kathial can immediately tell something is wrong. The Lasgun, a battered Kantrael M36, has a large piece of plating take out at the side, near the Lasing chamber, and the chamber inside looks misaligned. The former Technomat is hardly a specialist in weapons, but he's seen a few lasweapons in his time (if civilian models). Not a good sign for the health of it's spirit.

(OOC: Lasgun loses 'Reliable' Keyword. Sorry, you rolled the short straw gun wise, Reiyu)

"We do not yet have a clear picture of the enemy. We can expect poorly trained Hive Militia, but the traitor members of the Rorschah Mundi PDF will be well equipped and trained for Hive Warfare. We should not underestimate the Traitor's hatred for us and the Emperor!" The Captain continues to explain. "After the objective has been completed and we have cleared out the traitors from the ruins of their bunkers, we will secure the top of the Dam and await reinforcements!"

@Carol
It seems obvious to Filly Gwosk that few enough of the rest of her 'Squad', or indeed most of the Legion have ever actually handled a military weapon beyond the most basic training they'd been provided. Most barely even think to check them. She does, and despite the wear and the sparse nature of the kit, it's hard to find much fault with what she's issued.

It seems odd that the gear the Penal Legion provides is better than that she'd used in a prior life. Lasweapons were rare enough outside of Planetary defense forces, as was the weight of military issue flak, explosives, and mono sharpened blades. Much better than an Autocarbine, a Ballistic Gambeson that barely fit, and a shock baton. The kind of gear that high response threats are made of.

"A large power conduit rings the outer perimeter of Hive Lozepath! That, after we have secured the Dam, will be our rallying point! Fight Hard to get there, and die hard if you don't!" The Captain says, and Filly is pushed forward in line.

@Gestaltnetwork
Zothene tests out the Sword xey had been issued, giving it an experimental swing. The blade was plain and unadorned, made from mass produced steel and probably mono-sharpened by a Smith-Servitor. The grip was all wrong as well, weighted for the parry and the skilled thrust instead of the powerful killing slash as might've been preffered by the Technomat's fighting style. A far cry from hand-craft silvered Chainswords the family xey had originated from made for those that chose a path of war, but it would have to do.

"Our objective must be achieved! Know that your lives are forfeit, so spend your last days fighting so that those more worthy may live!" The Captain shouts.

@Sir_Travelsalot
Celine Lanate holsters her issued laspistol, and struggles to sheath the blade provided. It was difficult to think of it as a 'Sword'. A sword was something a Spire Lord used, or the killers in the SDF. Mere Hivers and those unfortunate enough to be without a hive made due with knives and 'Blades', even if they looked like swords.

Either way, it was better for hive fighting than a full sized Lasgun. If anyone knew there'd be close quarters fighting ahead, it would be a native, and even one who wasn't a soldier or a ganger knew well enough how to fight.

"The lives of thousands of Imperial soldiers, and the lives whatever loyal civilian populace remains in that Hive, depends on us taking the Dam quickly!" The Captain continues.

@MilitantBird
"Dunno why we even issue them Medkits." One of the Adepts grouses as Sylvia's gear is shoved across the table. The former Ganger is forced to ignore it as she looks over the gear. It seemed a fortune, especially the precious medical supplies. Underhive Gangers might never see gear like this in a lifetime. It would inconceivable in a cell block, where the shiv was standard and the improvised Laslock and Crossbow ruled like kings among the makeshift weaponry of the inmates. Neither had been supplied with this cornucopia of Medical supplies.

"Manpower's valuable. Even if it's unskilled." Another adept shoots back, quietly. "No use if they die of fleshrot or preventable wounds before their purpose is fulfilled."

Then unfortunately, Sylvia discovers the limit of the gear she's issued. The Flak Jacket she's issued has several plates missing, the cloth harness that holds the flak together frayed and burned in places where the plates are missing. It wasn't hard to notice for anyone whose ever held a knife how easy it'd be now to slip a knife between her now exposed lower ribs.

(OOC: Flak Armor usually has a chance to have weaker hits strike an area with less armor. Due to someone dying in your armor, that's doubled for yours. You got unlucky on the random gear damage roll, sorry).

The Captain begins to finish up his speech. "As soon as you are equipped, proceed down to the lakeside. Transport from the 73rd Hezean Mechanized awaits." The Legionaries can see the path down to the lake, and the now dozens of Chimera transports crowding at the shore, along with personal preparing them for the assault.

"Remember Legionaries! The Emperor is watching!" The Captain concludes. "Do not disappoint him!"

A tall order, but what else could a condemned Soul do but try?

(OOC: @xjax1 remember you have two Satchel Charges, a Grapnel Launcher, and Wirecutters to distribute among the squad. What they do is below.

Next Update will be on Tuesday Night, Mountain Time. Please post by then.

Grapnel Launcher:
Fires 30m long steel cable with grapnel at the end. Can be used to pull a single person up quickly (within one combat round), or the fired grapnel can be left in place, allowing the whole squad to climb up the cable.

Satchel Charge:
Large pack of explosives. Comes with a timed detonator. Requires a +30 Demolitions test to emplace quickly (+20 Agility if no Demolitions), no test if done slowly. Only one Charge per person, or Athletics/Dodge penalties from the weight.

Wirecutters:
Can be used to cut through Wire with a Technomat or Sleight of hand Test. Vital for getting through Razor Wire fields.

ORDERS:
FILTHY REBELS HOLD THE DAM HOLDING UP AN IMPERIAL ADVANCE. THE 25TH COMPANY OF THE 557TH LEGION IS TO ASSAULT THE DAM AFTER AN AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT AND ARTILLERY BOMBARDMENT.

THE PENAL COMPANY WILL USE GRAPNELS AND SATCHEL CHARGES TO REACH THE TOP OF THE DAM AND DISABLE THE GUN BUNKERS FIRING DOWN INTO THE LAKE. DOING SO IS VITAL TO ENSURING A FLOW OF REINFORCEMENTS AND SUPPLIES.

SQUAD-123 B ARE TO ASSAULT THE WALLS AT SIGMA 7, DESTROY THE GUN EMPLACEMENT AT DELTA 5, AND AWAIT REINFORCEMENTS.
HOLOMAP TRANSMISSION FOLLOWS. VOX COMMUNICATION WITH COMPANY COMMAND IS ON CHANNEL 18.

Expected Opposition:
Hive Militia, Traitor RMCSDF Troops

Mission Gear:
Two Satchel Charges, Wirecutter, Grapnel Launcher

Available Support (Failing to call for support too many times will lose your ability to use it further. Use Command, Decieve, or Charm (-10) and a Vox to do so):

-Covering Fire (+10 Test before Modifiers): Call for nearby squads to give you covering fire with their Lasguns. Bonus if physically near another squad.
-MEDIC! (-10 Test before Modifiers): Call for a Medic to assist you. Necessary to Medivac critically and mortally wounded characters.
-Artillery Support (-10 Test before Modifiers): Call for a few shells to bombard a position near you. Person calling it in can use an action to provide adjustment, making fire more accurate.
-Push Forward! (+0 Test before Modifiers): Call for a nearby squad to assist you with assaulting a position. Bonus if physically near another squad.
-Special Weapons Team (-20 Test before Modifiers): Call for an IG Special Weapons team to strike a target of your choice with a Flamer, Meltagun, Longlas, or Grenade Launcher.

Last edited:
"Well, Zothene and I wouldn't do much good at the back with these blades, so I suppose we should be carrying the grapnel and wirecutters. How about it, heretek? You ever get taught about satchel charges before being kicked into the scrap mill with the rest of us? Can't have the Hangmen thinking we're slacking, can we?" There is a disbelieving, nearly hysterical quality to Celine's voice, before her quivering hands settle into the sign of the Aquila, whispering a rapid stream of prayers from a bowed head. When her head rises back up, her gaze has settled from nervousness to a quiet despondence, tracing with one finger the litanies upon her painted hide.

Last edited:
She gives a small smile at the adept before speaking "With tests of faith and trials of fire one can reaffirm their belief in the emperor, and through those trials, one's sins can be forgiven" she said, quoting one of her more famous lines in the film, though it was laughably similar to her own situation. She grunts a bit as she picks up the bags, they being a little too heavy for someone with her frame, she was made for looking at, not hard labour, and it showed as she strained with carrying all the gear. "Understood, May the emperor protect"

She walked towards where her squad was meeting, grimacing as she carefully put down the bags, glancing among them and speaking a hushed voice, fiddling with the Vox-caster on her back. "Alright, seems we got some additional gear, Grapnel can go to whoever wants to take the front, but the satchels and wirecutters should go to our most technically adept people, I think that's Celine and Zothene? Heretek or not, a good pair of hands planting those charges could mean the difference between walking away from an explosion and being caught in one." She punched the address for her squad's net into the vox, and patched the microphone attached to her helmet through "Testing, Testing, Am I coming through?" the connection crackled occasionally, but came through well enough, prompting a small smile as she taps on the flak armour adorning her body, which fit rather tight in some areas, damned generalized sizing.

As the speech finished she chuckles and shakes her head "Let us move quickly, The emperor does not offer his protection to those who stay behind and cower, and we're gonna need every damn ounce of it we can muster." She starts to walk towards the lake once the gear had been distributed, standing surprisingly tall, calm despite impending death hanging over her head, with its scythe pressed against her neck.

Last edited:

Filly returns the dubious peek of the bald corporal with a hard glare. It is one promising trouble, liable to cause an incident before the agents of the Ordo Prefectus shut down any thought of it. A hint of a frown overcomes her face. The symbol worn by the enforcers left a pang of want in her heart. She loathes them like any good legionary, but old lives die hard for the condemned.

She eats the rest of her meal quickly before joining her squad in leaving the cafeteria. Her stride doesn't stop to entertain the mockery of the other units. Does an eagle notice the droning of sparrows? Of course not. As one member of the company flips off a Tellosi rifleman, she pushes past her roughly. Only the gauging look of the subsequent platoon earns a flicker of Filly's disapproval.

'I am not meat,' she thinks. 'There is no amount of crown, aquila or throne high enough to equal my being.' The weather-beaten woman still has her pride. In amongst the deformed and lame, lacking the basic intelligence to walk straight, she is a beacon of correct posture.

Again, this difference in temperament comes as Filly checks her damn equipment after the adept hands it over. Their transaction is mercifully short and without comment.

The lascarbine's coarse exterior fits nicely with her. She knows the damage such a weapon could unleash. One of the worst days as an enforcer was to encounter gangsters that had them.

With her commanding "officers" hatching this plan or that, her respect for them rock bottom, she takes an independent action. The militant stops in front of Zothene.

"Heretek," she enunciates like a curse, "you'll die after one more error." She spits near xey shoes. "Spare me the trouble when going up there."

Her index finger points to the dam.

Last edited:
Smoop flinched at the Adept's words as she accepted the Auspex and the rest of her gear. It wasn't as if that hadn't been made painfully clear during her induction into the Legion. She was worth less than nothing, a drain on the resources of the Empire, until she proved otherwise.

Well clear of the line, Smoop tried to tune out the rest of her squadmates' chatter as she fiddled with the Auspex, murmuring blessings to its spirit. She did keep an eye on Cheri though. She didn't want to be left behind when the squad moved out. For the time being she set the Auspex to scan as widely as possible. It gave off a series of enigmatic bleeps and blurps, and she stuffed it carefully into its padded carrier before strapping the carrier itself onto her webbing.

She wasn't likely to contribute much directly in a fight, and her greatest value, such as it was, lay in warning her more aggressive comrades of the threats that lay ahead.

Besides, the less you stuck your head out, the less likely you were to get it blown off.

Then unfortunately, Sylvia discovers the limit of the gear she's issued. The Flak Jacket she's issued has several plates missing, the cloth harness that holds the flak together frayed and burned in places where the plates are missing. It wasn't hard to notice for anyone whose ever held a knife how easy it'd be now to slip a knife between her now exposed lower ribs.

After a moment of wordless staring, Sylvia picked up the battered combat vest that someone had clearly died in before and walked away.

Complaining wouldn't do her any good anyways, nor would acts or threats of violence. Especially in front of the steely-eyed (and iron-fisted) enforcers watching the distribution line.

...Maybe she could scavenge some armored plates off a dead patient later on, although she feared that the damaged harness might not still be able to bear the added weight.

Oh well. She let out a quiet sigh. It was still more protection than she had ever worn in her life. Even back on Vankilla, during her brief stint in the cell-block gang, the most she ever had access to was a light stab-resistant vest and a thick leather jacket to cover it up from the Wardens.

The Captain begins to finish up his speech. "As soon as you are equipped, proceed down to the lakeside. Transport from the 73rd Hezean Mechanized awaits." The Legionaries can see the path down to the lake, and the now dozens of Chimera transports crowding at the shore, along with personal preparing them for the assault.

A cold sense of dread began to worm its way into Sylvia's chest at the idea of charging across a lake and up a massive wall, all to fight through a heavily fortified den of heretics.

It could have been worse, she supposed. It could have been Orks, or the Tau, or Tyranids. From the sounds of it, the battle plan was actually even fairly reasonable. It was the sort of thing she could imagine the regulars of the Imperial Guard doing, assaulting a fortified position under the cover of artillery support.

Sylvia didn't like the plan, mind you. They were being sent headfirst into a meatgrinder, in a massive wave of assault boats and bodies, rushing across an open lake toward a dam covered in fortified bunkers and gun emplacements.

But still, it was a reasonable, sane plan given the circumstances, with as reasonable a chance of survival for her as could possibly be expected. If the masses of the Penal Legion hadn't been readily available, the first wave would likely have been the Imperial Guard themselves.

Sylvia wasn't sure if she should mention her demolitions training to the rest of the squad. On one hand, it would likely inflate her value in their eyes. On the other hand, the last place she wanted to be was setting explosive charges atop a gun emplacement, while enemy soldiers stormed her location trying to take it back.

...No, it was better that she stay to the rear, and pick off targets from afar with precision shots. That was where her marksmanship would be best suited. As a medic, the rear of the squad was where she should be anyways. It was usually a bad idea to try and patch someone's wounds while under heavy fire.

She made a note to bring it up privately to her squad's Sergeant later, to avoid public judgment or accusations of cowardice.

@Reiyu

"Diverse group." One of the soldiers from 123-F, the bald youth, says. "Don't think I'd mind you lot having my back." Despite his claims, he glances at Filly, as if suspicious of someone who didn't enumerate their own crimes. "Corporal Hansan. I'd give my last name, but it's just a string of numbers, so...."

"Yeah." O'Garan says, agreeing with Hansan. "Glad we all understand each other then. We're gonna be in the grease and blood together soon enough."

It's hard not to notice that not all is so easily put aside. One of the squad, a woman with a Cerebral plug port on the back of her neck, gives a suspicious look at Zothene. Her fingers are curled into the sign of the Cog, as if warding herself. "Nora." She concedes her name but nothing else. "Bloody Hereteks." it's not hard to hear her mutter.

Another, the hulking man with a beard, gives a suspicious look to Jerad. "Pagan, huh? How many ships have you captured? How many good folk have you put out an Airgate to appease your false Spirits?"

It takes Sophon a moment to understand what he means. The Apostate Void Clans, as his old masters used to call them. Pagan Mercenaries and raiders. Occasionally an ally against the hated Imperium, more often an enemy of both. Of course Imperial Void Clan would think first of Pirates, rather than the more distant and less threatening Pagan cultures on distant worlds. Or maybe they just think Pagan is another word for worshiper of the Exalted Four.

(OOC: Lore (Chaos Cults) success, 0 DoS. Technically not a Chaos cult, but it fits)

"Little better than Daemons anyway. If they're not one and the same." Nora says, the target of her ire changed. "Hey, 'Pagan'. Maybe you'll meet some old friends in the Hive." It sounds like a joke, but there's no humor in it.
Jeradresh furrowed his brow in confusion for a long moment, before the sudden realization of what the man meant hit him. He felt a momentary flash of irritation at the man's irritation, but he let it pass. After all, better ignorance than the actual proof. The bearded brute need hardly know that his kin had sacrificed people to far worse things than 'spirits'.

He smiled apologetically, holding up his hands in a placating manner. "Pirates? Ah, here is a misunderstanding. I apologize, the fault must be mine for not making it clear. I am no pirate, and have never captured a ship or, ah, 'airgated' any good peoples of our Imperium. I come from a planet, and my family made amasec, yes? A much less violent profession than piracy, I believe we can agree?" Jeradresh decided it probably wasn't wise to mention the human sacrifice his own family did. "I would be a terrible pirate, anyway. I get awfully void-sick from such travel. I would be too busy being sick over my own boots to airgate anyone, no?"

At the mention of Daemons, Jeradresh made the sign of the Aquila across his chest. He'd spent long enough practicing the damned thing he wanted to show up and besides, he didn't need any of his family's patron daemons to notice him. "Little better, yes. I lost my own uncle to those pirates. A merchant trip to a world with less Amasec, and they stole his life for their false gods," he sighed. "I wish he could have lived to see the Emperor's Light."

Hopefully a little of a sob story would make him more likable. He personally thought that only the Emperor really had time to waste tears or heartache, but Jeradresh had found not all Imperials were as heartless as the Inquisitors. Or as quick to pick up grox-shite.

"Eh, I wouldn't worry about the Pagan sacrificing us to his evil spirits." O'Garan says. "You heard him. If the Emperor doesn't favor his redemption, he'll be sleeping in the void before he can do anything."

"I suppose so." Nora says. "I doubt any of them will last an hour anyway."
Jeradresh shrugged his shoulders. "I would worry more about the enemy at your front, myself. I intend to be sacrificing heretics to the Emperor, in any case."

He waves a hand at Nora's comment. "Tell you what, comrades. If we are alive and free men after this, I will buy the drinks to celebrate?"
@Shephard
"Corporal...Sophon." the Adept says, as the Penitent appears. She scoffs, as if seems impossible a Penal Legionaire could have any saintly quality, much less the wisdom of Sophon. She shoves his gear forward. Standard issue Lasrifle, iconic to most Imperials, recognizable only as a tool of death and hatred for the Corporal. A Flak jacket, helmet and other hard armor to buckle over his armored fatigues. Grenades, a wicked combat knife, and various other gear.

The Corporal can't help but notice the the 'Death to Heretics' inscribed in the Helmet, only partially covered up by Munitorum grease pencil. That, and the large scar right around the back of the head, only barely patched up.

"-And deploy us to capture or destroy defensive positions on the Dam." The Captain continues in the background.
"Corporal" Sophon chuckled to himself as he ran a hand over the lettering inscribed in the helmet. 'Death to Heretics'. Now that was some beautiful irony, wasn't it? Surely the God upon the Golden Throne was laughing merrily at him right now.

He took the lasgun, getting used to the weight. He'd never been much of a fighter. Best he could say was putting a shot from a hunting las-lock into some game, but that was hardly the same thing as trading fire. A part of him wondered if he should've joined the armed forces and gotten some combat experience under his belt, but he shook his head. Would've been a death sentence for sure, not an almost certain one by trial by ordeal. He fitted on the rest of the gear as best he could, feeling increasingly uncomfortable as he loaded on flak-plates, grenades, and other equipment.

He shifted uneasily, adjusting the straps to try and get a better handle on the weight and failing. It felt the right size, but still felt off. Jeradresh sighed. It was going to be a long day. Well. Unless he got shot. Then he supposed it would be a short day. Emperor be praised?

As the speech finished she chuckles and shakes her head "Let us move quickly, The emperor does not offer his protection to those who stay behind and cower, and we're gonna need every damn ounce of it we can muster." She starts to walk towards the lake once the gear had been distributed, standing surprisingly tall, calm despite impending death hanging over her head, with its scythe pressed against her neck.
"Understood, sergeant. You can count on me to have your back," Sophon said, tapping the corporal's stripes on his pauldrons. "Emperor willing, we'll all see ourselves off that beach."

Last edited:
Kathnial walks over from grabbing his bag of stuff seeming a bit off as a rather lanky guy though seeming to fade into the crowd of soldiers. "Aye let us bring Glory to the empire and the emperor." He drops into step with his fellow legion throwing his lasgun over his shoulder seemingly used to the heft of the gun. "Come now we shall not speak of what if's simply go in and do our job." He lets out a big boisterous laugh trying to rally his allies a bit giving each of them a slap on the back. He reaches up to tie a small scrap of cloth into his hair bringing it up and out of his face.
As Kathnial looks further at the damage to his Lasgun he is kind of just picking at the pieces a slightly sour look chewing on his free thumb.

Zothene finishes assessing the blade. Not xeir style, but it would do. Xey take in the sights as xey answer before looking at Celine and Cheri. "Ah, only theoretical use of the satchel charges and grapnel, from this heretek. Wire cutters I understand amateurishly, never had to drill with 'em but have cut wires myself at home when a computing or electrical machine spirit was unhappy with broken wires and needed a repair." Xey start to gear up. "Sergeant, I'll follow your lead, and can take point or flank if need be. Emperor protect us." And protect the spirits that clash between us, xey thought to xemself silently, considering the brained meat and material about to do battle en masse.

Part 1: Acid and Blood
He smiled apologetically, holding up his hands in a placating manner. "Pirates? Ah, here is a misunderstanding. I apologize, the fault must be mine for not making it clear. I am no pirate, and have never captured a ship or, ah, 'airgated' any good peoples of our Imperium. I come from a planet, and my family made amasec, yes? A much less violent profession than piracy, I believe we can agree?" Jeradresh decided it probably wasn't wise to mention the human sacrifice his own family did. "I would be a terrible pirate, anyway. I get awfully void-sick from such travel. I would be too busy being sick over my own boots to airgate anyone, no?"

At the mention of Daemons, Jeradresh made the sign of the Aquila across his chest. He'd spent long enough practicing the damned thing he wanted to show up and besides, he didn't need any of his family's patron daemons to notice him. "Little better, yes. I lost my own uncle to those pirates. A merchant trip to a world with less Amasec, and they stole his life for their false gods," he sighed. "I wish he could have lived to see the Emperor's Light."

Hopefully a little of a sob story would make him more likable. He personally thought that only the Emperor really had time to waste tears or heartache, but Jeradresh had found not all Imperials were as heartless as the Inquisitors. Or as quick to pick up grox-shite.

"....Ah, sorry." The Bearded man says, shaking his head. "I suppose...I suppose I can't blame ya for not being born into the Emperor's light. Hardly your fault you were born to false gods and unclean spirits. And if you're not a Pirate..."

He pauses a moment, as if considering if you could use what he's about to give you in some form of profane ritual. "Kawl." He offers his name. "Kawl #8642. They say back home I'm lucky because my ID is a low number."

"Once a Heathen, always a heathen." Nora hisses. "It stains your soul. The scriptures say-"

"The Preachers said we'd be redeemed in blood if we fight." O'Garan counters.

Nora just silently fumes, and you know the rest have bought it.

(Deceive success. 2 DoS vs. 3 DoF. Rapport gained with 123-F?)

++++++++++++++
She gives a small smile at the adept before speaking "With tests of faith and trials of fire one can reaffirm their belief in the emperor, and through those trials, one's sins can be forgiven" she said, quoting one of her more famous lines in the film, though it was laughably similar to her own situation. She grunts a bit as she picks up the bags, they being a little too heavy for someone with her frame, she was made for looking at, not hard labour, and it showed as she strained with carrying all the gear. "Understood, May the emperor protect"

The Adept, conscious of the Enforcers patrolling nearby, nods, and gives you a sad smile. She makes the sign of the Aquila with her hands, just quick enough for you to notice.

May the Emperor protect you as well.

The Squad marches down to the lakeshore, carrying their equipment and strapping on any last minute armor and gear pouches.

If there was any doubt about the Lake not being water before, it's gone now. Getting closer, the color is a vivid purple, and bears the overpowering smell of sulfur that manages to overwhelm even the stink of gun oil, Promethium, and human beings that is the motor pool. Best to hurry, seeing as none of them have been issued Gas Masks.

Dozens of Chimeras sit on the lakeshore, crews, Munitorum personel, and Tech Adepts giving them last minute checks. It's hard not to notice the constant checks of the lower hulls, as if hunting for holes below the waterline.

A Munitorum Officer waves a baton at the squad. "That way! You're assigned to Mars Pattern Chimera No.7! Keep moving!"

With little choice, the squad trudges through the rubble and silica (That is close, but not quite sand) of the lakeshore, over to 'Chimera No.7'

No.7 turns out to have a name. A scarred vehicle in Urban Camouflage, with 'Rosalee' painted in vivid red paint across the turret. The markings of the 73rd Hezean Mechanized regiment are displayed proudly just below, a helmeted skull with a pair of entrenching tools behind it.

The back hatch pops open, as if beckoning open. Cheri, being the squad sergeant steps forward into the Chimera. Just inside the hull, a gap-toothed woman in the light flak jacket and helmet of a Combat driver offers her a hand, helping her into the Chimera.

"Sergeant Mira..." She uses her other hand to tap the top hull of the Chimera"...and this is Rosalee. We'll get you to the walls. Mind the Ceiling."

A fortunate warning, for without it, several of the squad might've hit their head getting inside the vehicle.

Still, despite the low ceiling, the Chimera seems actually reasonably roomy for the squad. There's enough seats for everyone, room to stash combat packs and lasguns, and even some room to stretch legs while they wait for the assault to begin. Say what one will about the recycled air or the low ceiling, at least the ride into hell would be comfortable enough.

A delusion that only lasts until the second squad slated for Rosalee arrives.

Another eight Penals. This group, unlike 123-F, lacks many cybernetics or the pale skins of Void-Clanners. In exchange, each man and woman has tattooed themselves extensively, keeping to a religious theme. One man, a Genebulk dragging a heavy stubber and a trio of Ammo Belts, has bare arms that depict an entire brief mosaic of the story of Saint Savine rise from a petty noble to Adepta Sororita, Warmaster, and liberator of Verantis Sector. The others are no less varied, though they at least wear their uniform shirts and don't take up so much room.

Colm, the squad sergeant, is last to board, and predictably, is left to stand with half his squad. With the addition of eight additional Legionaries, the once roomy Chimera is now bursting with human beings. One might well complain about being packed in like Grox in a tin, except you haven't been slaughtered.

Yet.

The Rear door closes with a hiss of hydraulics. Mira taps a hatch in the ceiling. "This is your exit. Open the rear when we're floating and we'll sink. So don't."

Sixteen heads nod. No matter how fanatical or resigned you are, nobody wants to drown in industrial acid.

Mira gives a smile at Rosalee's passengers understanding the rules, and heads for the Commander's seat. The Engine turns over with an roar as the Chimera's spirit comes to life. Treads grind, seats vibrating beneath those lucky enough to have them, and after a moment, it's in the water.

As soon the Chimera is traveling, Colm starts on a prayer. "I am the Flame of the Emperor." His squad echoes his words with familiarity. "I am the flame that purifies..."

Others not engaging in prayer have only to look out the vision blocks and watch the progress of the assault. Dozens of Chimeras swimming through the same vivid purple lake water, spread out the best they can and making best speed across the surface of the 'Water'.

Defensive fire starts early. Above the wave front of the advance shrapnel shells detonate, peppering the vehicles with hails of deadly metal. The heavy armor of the Chimeras deflects it for the most part, and a lot goes into the lake with tiny splashes, though it is still hardly comforting to hear the patter of shell fragments deflecting off the hull, with only it between Legionaries and a messy death.

Then, as if to ensure nobody is comfortable, the heavier shells start coming down.

Heavy autocannon shells, fired on parabolic arcs, plunge into the lake around the advancing Hezean Chimeras. One comes down barely a meter from Rosalee, sending up a high plume of liquid. "Close one!" Mira laughs from the commander's seat, as if death was something to laugh at. Maybe it was, but regardless it had missed, so even a few of Colm's squad breath sighs of relief, even as more lakewater sprays up and around the Chimera and splashes off the top hull. Somewhere above, moisture splashes down from the half secured top hatch, and one of Colm's squad frantically brushes off the foul smelling lakewater that splashes onto her face with a most impious curse.

Then, another shell is much more precise. The next Chimera over, a vehicle painted 'Hezean Hello', takes a shell somewhere below the waterline. The transport plows forward, but like an injured animal, quickly slows, then begins to sink. The top hatch slams open, and Penals and darkly armored Hezeans pour out onto the top of the vehicle's hull. One man is shoved aside by a desperate driver, and is sent plunging into the lake. His screams and flailing are mercifully cut short as the weight of his gear and the wake of the dying vehicle's inevitable end drags him under, just ahead of the rest of his squad.

Perhaps mercifully, Rosalee surges ahead and the drowning Hezean Hello and her passengers are removed from the view of any of the vision blocks. Perhaps less so, that leaves nothing but the dam, looming increasingly large in the vision of anyone who cares to look. Not long now.

Another minute. Hearts beat rapidly, everyone grabs up their gear and readies themselves best they can.

The engine changes pitch, and suddenly Rosalee is turning pull up beside something. A glance out of a vision slit would present the sight of the Dam. A close range, it's once scalable 30 meter height seems almost titanic now, a barrier that separates one world from another. Yet if so, it is a damaged barrier, as shell craters dot the front of the dam, and a massive stone aquila attached to the front has had nearly half it's mass chipped away by gunfire. The top, far above, is ringed with almost battlement like railings, and these have been enhanced here and there with sandbags and what look like gun positions. On the squad's section of the dam, a tall tower divides two sections, and it looks to be trading fire with Rosalee, the muzzle flash of a heavy stubber or stubcannon backlit by the crimson lightning of the Chimera's Multilas.

A solid round pings off the armored glass of one of the viewports, leaving a spiderweb crack.

At the very bottom of the Dam lies where the squad will disembark, and it does not look pleasant. Aside the fact it is a small outcropping of stone and rockcrete with a good fourth of it's area soaking in the acidic lake water, there no cover aside from a line of pipes, a few piles of rubble, and a few barrels and other detritus here and there. As if that weren't bad enough, just next to where Rosalee has parked, a pile of corpses lie, half submerged into the acidic water, no doubt left there after the shelling began. Their lack of uniforms and numbers tells the squad that the very least they are not legionaries, but one can only take so much comfort in such a fact.

The top hatch opens, and the overwhelming stench of human bodies and motor oil is replaced with that of sulfur, the electric buzz of the Multilas, and the smell of rot.

"Welcome to Hive Lozepath!" Mira yells, her voice suddenly very hard to hear over the Multilas, the scramble of Colm's squad, and the rumbling of the engine "Now up that wall!"

The last man of Colm's squad get out the hatch, and leap up onto the 'Shore', leaving it open for Squad 123-B's turn to push out into the hell outside.

Time to move.

(OOC: Who is first out the hatch? What is your first action upon getting out of Rosalee? Map is up in Roll20.)

Cheri felt around under her flak and pulled out a small Aquila made of gold, having somehow slipped it past the various patrols and patdowns, or at the very least convinced them not to take it off her, give a prisoner her final moment of faith. She clutched it between two hands and closed her eyes, speaking The Emperors Prayer with a finesse that can only be found from practice, able to keep up with most preachers in pace and tone, this is obviously not the first time she has recited it, and it is hopefully not the last. Once she finished speaking it in its entirety, tucking the Aquilla into her shirt once again as she smiled, 123-F getting out of the Chimera, leaving them the only ones in as she glances at her Squad, then the Mira, then down to Celine. "Alright, Celine, you're a native right? I don't know what firepower the traitor PDF will be rocking, and apparently different guns work better on different body types, at least that's what my script said last film, so you pick the one whos most likely to survive leading us"
(Fancy way of saying, you're the only one with Lore(Tactica), so please help)

She glances at the rest of her squad and stretched, a bit "Stack up at the door, we leave on my count" She got into position, taking second place with Jeradresh at her back grimacing a bit as she shakes off her jitters, she had recited her prayers and beseeched the emperor for his protection, the only thing to do now is act "Alright, everyone ready? keep your head down, go quick and stick close to the dam, we have covering fire so this should be easy, eh?" She gave a soft chuckle as she "3, 2, 1, Go! Go! Go!" She let the one in front bust out and followed suit, keeping her squad In formation the best she can with quips and lighthearted remarks as they move out.
(Using Inspire, hoping to keep those dodge rolls nice and high! other than that I'm using my movement to take myself as close to the dam with the rest of the squad as we can manage)

Last edited:
"Alright, Celine, you're a native right? I don't know what firepower the traitor PDF will be rocking, and apparently different guns work better on different body types, at least that's what my script said last film, so you pick the one whos most likely to survive leading us"
"Nothing beyond us, and likely a fair bit worse than what we've in store for them. Still, better not to get hit in the first place by the frakking rustieks, yeah?" Celine calls out over the deafening din of gunfire to her sergeant, then claps Zothene on the shoulder with an open hand. "Up and at them, heretek! Redemption awaits!"

With those words, the former troupe performer takes up the squad's grapnel gun, clambers out of the hatch, and clears the remaining industrial runoff between the Chimera and silicate shore, moving to the base of the wall and firing the grapnel at the top of the ramparts. Making ready for the climb ahead.

Zothene did xeir best to keep track of the autocannon fire, to get an understanding for how much trouble they were all going to pop out into. At the word of the Sergeant and Celine, xey move, trying to draw a line of sight with the autocannon that fired based on the trajectory (if this is a Scrutiny or Perception check, would make one) and replied to Celine "Aye, to redemption!" xey wondered if there had been another time when different metaphysical understandings concerned with harmony could get along... and if it would ever return, much less be able to speak to a Machine Spirit, while grabbing up and storing the satchel and wire cutters. Xey rushed out after Celine to also take up arms at the wall, thoughts now turned to battle, sword and loaded las-pistol unsheathed and unholstered.
It amused xem that xey wielded less labored over gear than if xey had sought out being a Sororitas, but xey had ended up at war nonetheless over matters of faith.
Xey only hoped xeir will could last as long as that of one of those pious adepts. "Celestine, guide my blade and conscience," xey whispered.

He smiles and knocks on the side of the vehicle as he enters having to bend and lean over throughout the ride looking over the terrain as it comes into view being different from the hive he grew up in. He snickers as he takes in the other squad meaning disrespect but just seeing that it won't just be our group for this gives him a small bit of Solace. As we slide into the position he steps right to the door ready to be one of the first of ours out the door holding the lasgun at the ready. "Well, ladies and gents let's go greet the maw of hell itself for the Emperor!" The large man stomps his way out and starts to spray shots up towards where the oncoming fire is coming from as he waves for the others to pass by him.

Last edited:

Ignorance is its own bitter curse. Zothene's lack of response sets off the worst part of Filly. A jumble of emotions runs along her eyes. None are to the heretek's benefit. The worst is to match ignorance with ignorance: put aside the promise of death from the collar, pull up the lascarbine, and let out a scream of lasers. Both could not possibly survive that, but there is glory in the murder of the filthy. Sentiments like that are music to her ears.

She wipes the residue spittle on her lips instead.

Her body disengages. Reluctantly. Ever so reluctantly. To the surprise of even herself, the mind's coin lands on caution. This is not her day to self-destruct. A 40/60 chance, really. She is there because such restraint is rarely forthcoming. It's a lucky break for them.

"Before this is done," she mutters, entering the Rosalee, "let the gen-sins give that prick Kare's Mercy."

The brooding sentiment clouds over the ride. A lightning bolt of curses seeks to dart out. The shattering bombardments outside don't equal it. They are puny and hush, a summer's drizzle to the squall. Even Hezean Hello's death rattle is mute.

Only the top hatch opening can clear the air. From Cheri's belting tune, Filly gets out after the gargantuan Kathial Swanr. Her boots crunch the ground to reach the wall. The fire overhead deafens ears and fears. For someone like her, ignorance is its own bitter curse.

"The Emperor protect!"

Last edited:
No.7 turns out to have a name. A scarred vehicle in Urban Camouflage, with 'Rosalee' painted in vivid red paint across the turret. The markings of the 73rd Hezean Mechanized regiment are displayed proudly just below, a helmeted skull with a pair of entrenching tools behind it.

The back hatch pops open, as if beckoning open. Cheri, being the squad sergeant steps forward into the Chimera. Just inside the hull, a gap-toothed woman in the light flak jacket and helmet of a Combat driver offers her a hand, helping her into the Chimera.

"Sergeant Mira..." She uses her other hand to tap the top hull of the Chimera"...and this is Rosalee. We'll get you to the walls. Mind the Ceiling."
Jeradresh waved a friendly hand at the Sergeant, smiling warmly. "Many thanks indeed, Sergeant! Much finer than swimming, I say. My gratitude for the transport."

He took his spot on the Chimera, breathing in relief that at least they'd have somewhere comfortable to rest. He half turned, resting a hand against the rumbling wall plating of Rosalee. "Please accept my passage, noble Rosalee. Surely you are a great and terrible machine, the grandest of all your sister machines. I ask of you to see me safely through the enemy's hate, and promise you my many thanks and great gratitude if you see me to safety, brave Rosalee."

Machine-Spirit sufficiently flattered, Jeradresh settled down into his chair. Alas, he did not have myrrh and frankincense to further bribe the Machine. Or a rabbit. The petty Daemons of the machines back home would accept such a meager sacrifice as though it were a grand feast.
Still, despite the low ceiling, the Chimera seems actually reasonably roomy for the squad. There's enough seats for everyone, room to stash combat packs and lasguns, and even some room to stretch legs while they wait for the assault to begin. Say what one will about the recycled air or the low ceiling, at least the ride into hell would be comfortable enough.

A delusion that only lasts until the second squad slated for Rosalee arrives.

Another eight Penals. This group, unlike 123-F, lacks many cybernetics or the pale skins of Void-Clanners. In exchange, each man and woman has tattooed themselves extensively, keeping to a religious theme. One man, a Genebulk dragging a heavy stubber and a trio of Ammo Belts, has bare arms that depict an entire brief mosaic of the story of Saint Savine rise from a petty noble to Adepta Sororita, Warmaster, and liberator of Verantis Sector. The others are no less varied, though they at least wear their uniform shirts and don't take up so much room.

Colm, the squad sergeant, is last to board, and predictably, is left to stand with half his squad. With the addition of eight additional Legionaries, the once roomy Chimera is now bursting with human beings. One might well complain about being packed in like Grox in a tin, except you haven't been slaughtered.

Yet.

The Rear door closes with a hiss of hydraulics. Mira taps a hatch in the ceiling. "This is your exit. Open the rear when we're floating and we'll sink. So don't."

Sixteen heads nod. No matter how fanatical or resigned you are, nobody wants to drown in industrial acid.

Mira gives a smile at Rosalee's passengers understanding the rules, and heads for the Commander's seat. The Engine turns over with an roar as the Chimera's spirit comes to life. Treads grind, seats vibrating beneath those lucky enough to have them, and after a moment, it's in the water.

As soon the Chimera is traveling, Colm starts on a prayer. "I am the Flame of the Emperor." His squad echoes his words with familiarity. "I am the flame that purifies..."
Jeradresh bites back a sigh as the other Penals enter the Chimera, scooting back to make room for the tattooed band. Jeradresh narrowed his eyes, mentally counting out the heads of both squads. Eight and eight made sixteen. A quick glance at a runeplate by the back hatch showed 'Max passengers-12'.

"Emperor's blessing, comrades!" he said, smiling at the additional band of Penals. For a brief moment, he considered giving up his seat to one of them, mulling whether it might win him enough gratitude to be useful, but only for a moment. If Jeradresh was going to die, he'd at least like to die with a well-cushioned arse.

As the Penals begin to pray, Jeradresh joins in their prayers, reflecting on those first early days when he'd read the words of the God-Emperor all those years before. How curious it was, that once the very prayers that once could have seen him killed were now the very thing saving his life.
Others not engaging in prayer have only to look out the vision blocks and watch the progress of the assault. Dozens of Chimeras swimming through the same vivid purple lake water, spread out the best they can and making best speed across the surface of the 'Water'.

Defensive fire starts early. Above the wave front of the advance shrapnel shells detonate, peppering the vehicles with hails of deadly metal. The heavy armor of the Chimeras deflects it for the most part, and a lot goes into the lake with tiny splashes, though it is still hardly comforting to hear the patter of shell fragments deflecting off the hull, with only it between Legionaries and a messy death.

Then, as if to ensure nobody is comfortable, the heavier shells start coming down.

Heavy autocannon shells, fired on parabolic arcs, plunge into the lake around the advancing Hezean Chimeras. One comes down barely a meter from Rosalee, sending up a high plume of liquid. "Close one!" Mira laughs from the commander's seat, as if death was something to laugh at. Maybe it was, but regardless it had missed, so even a few of Colm's squad breath sighs of relief, even as more lakewater sprays up and around the Chimera and splashes off the top hull. Somewhere above, moisture splashes down from the half secured top hatch, and one of Colm's squad frantically brushes off the foul smelling lakewater that splashes onto her face with a most impious curse.

Then, another shell is much more precise. The next Chimera over, a vehicle painted 'Hezean Hello', takes a shell somewhere below the waterline. The transport plows forward, but like an injured animal, quickly slows, then begins to sink. The top hatch slams open, and Penals and darkly armored Hezeans pour out onto the top of the vehicle's hull. One man is shoved aside by a desperate driver, and is sent plunging into the lake. His screams and flailing are mercifully cut short as the weight of his gear and the wake of the dying vehicle's inevitable end drags him under, just ahead of the rest of his squad.

Perhaps mercifully, Rosalee surges ahead and the drowning Hezean Hello and her passengers are removed from the view of any of the vision blocks. Perhaps less so, that leaves nothing but the dam, looming increasingly large in the vision of anyone who cares to look. Not long now.

Another minute. Hearts beat rapidly, everyone grabs up their gear and readies themselves best they can.

The engine changes pitch, and suddenly Rosalee is turning pull up beside something. A glance out of a vision slit would present the sight of the Dam. A close range, it's once scalable 30 meter height seems almost titanic now, a barrier that separates one world from another. Yet if so, it is a damaged barrier, as shell craters dot the front of the dam, and a massive stone aquila attached to the front has had nearly half it's mass chipped away by gunfire. The top, far above, is ringed with almost battlement like railings, and these have been enhanced here and there with sandbags and what look like gun positions. On the squad's section of the dam, a tall tower divides two sections, and it looks to be trading fire with Rosalee, the muzzle flash of a heavy stubber or stubcannon backlit by the crimson lightning of the Chimera's Multilas.

A solid round pings off the armored glass of one of the viewports, leaving a spiderweb crack.

At the very bottom of the Dam lies where the squad will disembark, and it does not look pleasant. Aside the fact it is a small outcropping of stone and rockcrete with a good fourth of it's area soaking in the acidic lake water, there no cover aside from a line of pipes, a few piles of rubble, and a few barrels and other detritus here and there. As if that weren't bad enough, just next to where Rosalee has parked, a pile of corpses lie, half submerged into the acidic water, no doubt left there after the shelling began. Their lack of uniforms and numbers tells the squad that the very least they are not legionaries, but one can only take so much comfort in such a fact.

The top hatch opens, and the overwhelming stench of human bodies and motor oil is replaced with that of sulfur, the electric buzz of the Multilas, and the smell of rot.

"Welcome to Hive Lozepath!" Mira yells, her voice suddenly very hard to hear over the Multilas, the scramble of Colm's squad, and the rumbling of the engine "Now up that wall!"

The last man of Colm's squad get out the hatch, and leap up onto the 'Shore', leaving it open for Squad 123-B's turn to push out into the hell outside.

Time to move.

(OOC: Who is first out the hatch? What is your first action upon getting out of Rosalee? Map is up in Roll20.)
Jeradresh didn't shake as the rounds fall, as he hears the scream of men and the rumble of mighty guns. He didn't flinch at the water splashing against the hull, or the rounds cracking from Rosalee's sides. He had survived worse hells than this with head held high. He had survived this far, and this much, at least, was out of his hands.

He finishes his prayers as he hears the driver shout out, and he picks himself up, awkwardly checking his lasgun. His eyes snap to the open upper hatch, skeptical. All it took one penal dying in the hatch to trap the rest of them in what could quickly become an armored coffin.

"Right then," He sighs. "Time to get to the dying."
Cheri felt around under her flak and pulled out a small Aquila made of gold, having somehow slipped it past the various patrols and patdowns, or at the very least convinced them not to take it off her, give a prisoner her final moment of faith. She clutched it between two hands and closed her eyes, speaking The Emperors Prayer with a finesse that can only be found from practice, able to keep up with most preachers in pace and tone, this is obviously not the first time she has recited it, and it is hopefully not the last. Once she finished speaking it in its entirety, tucking the Aquilla into her shirt once again as she smiled, 123-F getting out of the Chimera, leaving them the only ones in as she glances at her Squad, then the Mira, then down to Celine. "Alright, Celine, you're a native right? I don't know what firepower the traitor PDF will be rocking, and apparently different guns work better on different body types, at least that's what my script said last film, so you pick the one whos most likely to survive leading us"
(Fancy way of saying, you're the only one with Lore(Tactica), so please help)

She glances at the rest of her squad and stretched, a bit "Stack up at the door, we leave on my count" She got into position, taking second place with Jeradresh at her back grimacing a bit as she shakes off her jitters, she had recited her prayers and beseeched the emperor for his protection, the only thing to do now is act "Alright, everyone ready? keep your head down, go quick and stick close to the dam, we have covering fire so this should be easy, eh?" She gave a soft chuckle as she "3, 2, 1, Go! Go! Go!" She let the one in front bust out and followed suit, keeping her squad In formation the best she can with quips and lighthearted remarks as they move out.
(Using Inspire, hoping to keep those dodge rolls nice and high! other than that I'm using my movement to take myself as close to the dam with the rest of the squad as we can manage)
"Aye, sergeant. Got your back!" Corporal Jerad Sophon shouts, stepping in behind her. Stay in cover, lay down cover, try to stick reasonably close to the squad leader and keep her alive, but outside of the splash zone if she ate a mortar or bolt round to the face.

Emperor willing, it wouldn't be too difficult. At least she wasn't running out first.
"The Emperor protect!"
It seemed even their near-mute was being carried away by the battle-joy. Mentally shrugging, he joined her voice to hers. "The Emperor protects!"

At least in Jerad's opinion, he certainly did. And it could not hurt to have the God upon his Throne smile upon him.

Last edited:
Back