The ask questions about history thread.

No I am completely ignorant of Malayasias ethnopoltical situation if you could give more context that would be great I can't find any good information, in English but I may not be looking in the right places?

I not sure what your question is about but back in the 60s, Sarawak and Sabah signed to enter into Malaysia,a political union. It's now called East Malaysia due to its geological position. Politically, it's... Different from west Malaysia primarily because Sarawak and Sabah never fell under British rule. In pennisular Malaysia , the states historically fell under unFederated Malay States, Federated Malay States and Straits Settlement Colonies(Singapore, Johore and Penang), so East Malaysia, Johore and Penang are the "odd" one out so as to speak. This history has influence on the politics, as the more right you go, the less power Malay elites have (again, oddities like Johore sultan aside because money equals power. But usually, the more centralised British rule is , the less power the elites had and thus less power )

This has.. impact on ethnopolitics. The Malayan Chinese Association(MCA) and thus UMNO is from West Malaysia. Sarawak and Sabah were leery of joining Malayasia in case their local Malay rulers powers were weakened. The Sultan of Brunei declined to join the Federation, thus making East Malaysia economically weaker compared to West Malaysia.finally, add in that Tunku wanted East Malaysia in so as to balance out Singapore Chinese majority population(and thus power) in Parliament

These factors help explain why East Malaysia is what it is. Discrimination against Chinese, such as not granting all Chinese citizens of Malaysia (or rather, a special status where they Malaysians but not Sarawakians...or is it Sabah? Have to ask Malaysians . More reliant on extraction industries and etc.

Malay fundamentalism however.... Had a different variant over in East Malaysia but I'm not sure I have a good grasp on it so as to explain. They not PSA Kelantan nutso essentially.

Last edited:

I not sure what your question is about but back in the 60s, Sarawak and Sabah signed to enter into Malaysia,a political union. It's now called East Malaysia due to its geological position. Politically, it's... Different from west Malaysia primarily because Sarawak and Sabah never fell under British rule. In pennisular Malaysia , the states historically fell under unFederated Malay States, Federated Malay States and Straits Settlement Colonies(Singapore, Johore and Penang), so East Malaysia, Johore and Penang are the "odd" one out so as to speak. This history has influence on the politics, as the more right you go, the less power Malay elites have (again, oddities like Johore sultan aside because money equals power. But usually, the more centralised British rule is , the less power the elites had and thus less power )

This has.. impact on ethnopolitics. The Malayan Chinese Association(MCA) and thus UMNO is from West Malaysia. Sarawak and Sabah were leery of joining Malayasia in case their local Malay rulers powers were weakened. The Sultan of Brunei declined to join the Federation, thus making East Malaysia economically weaker compared to West Malaysia.finally, add in that Tunku wanted East Malaysia in so as to balance out Singapore Chinese majority population(and thus power) in Parliament

These factors help explain why East Malaysia is what it is. Discrimination against Chinese, such as not granting all Chinese citizens of Malaysia (or rather, a special status where they Malaysians but not Sarawakians...or is it Sabah? Have to ask Malaysians . More reliant on extraction industries and
Thank you that is quite helpful I am writing a poltical game for a British Dictatorship (A successful Wilison plot) and wanted to see if I could use Mayalsia as base for its rapidly shrinking influence in Asia after the loss of Hong Kong and Australia splitting off.

So what lead to East Germany ending up having (relatively) more progressive laws regarding LGBT rights then the rest of the Eastern Block?

Does anyone have any reading recommendations for southern England between the years AD 395 to AD 500? I understand this is a very niche topic.

From what I can find an issue is some of the more in depth and focused books on the subject of post roman britain like "The kingdom of Dumnonia: Studies in history and tradition in south-western Britain, A.D. 350-1150" and "the Economy of Late-Roman and Post-Roman Britain" are long out of print and thus really expensive.

There also doesn't really seem to be many recent books on the subject that does Indepth on that topic at least from what I can find... Though even those two titles are more than I could find in English on the Holy Roman empire which was one book, "The Holy Roman Empire" by James Bryce complete with the 1904 preface by the author.

There also doesn't really seem to be many recent books on the subject that does Indepth on that topic at least from what I can find... Though even those two titles are more than I could find in English on the Holy Roman empire which was one book, "The Holy Roman Empire" by James Bryce complete with the 1904 preface by the author.
Peter Wilson has written a book or two on the topic

The Legend Of King Arthur and the Knights Of The Round Table :V

I have no shame, that's what it's for. :V

From what I can find an issue is some of the more in depth and focused books on the subject of post roman britain like "The kingdom of Dumnonia: Studies in history and tradition in south-western Britain, A.D. 350-1150" and "the Economy of Late-Roman and Post-Roman Britain" are long out of print and thus really expensive.

Thank you for a starting point if nothing else.

Peter Wilson has written a book or two on the topic

*vigorously seeks out* Thanks!

Last edited:
I.... Can't find the actual weird history or etc thread so I just going to dump this factoid here.

mikedashhistory.com

Dreamtime voyagers: Aboriginal Australians in early modern Makassar

Before Europeans arrive to ruin everything, Australia lay dreaming in unchanging isolation for nearly 70,000 years. Right? Wrong. Read on for the stories of Aborigines who voyaged as far as Singapo…

This is a history that remains comparatively little-known, not least because it involves no Europeans. But, since it so subverts the popular conception of what actually went on in Australia, it is a story well worth telling. In this history, Aboriginal Australians not only met and worked – often on terms of easy friendship and equality – with peoples from cultures quite different from their own; they also lived and sometimes travelled with them. Perhaps the most startling outcome of this series of events was a surreal encounter between the first group of white explorers to penetrate the deep interior of the north and an Aborigine who – they were amazed to find – already spoke a little English, picked up in the course of a voyage he'd made to Singapore. But surely the most fascinating was the creation (decades, probably, before Cook came ashore at Botany Bay, and perhaps as early as the 17th century) of a small Aboriginal community in the busy port of Makassar, in Sulawesi: that extraordinary island, all peninsulas, that lies in the heart of the East Indies, and looks like nothing so much as a child's sketch of a dinosaur.
I was aware of the LARGER blog topic but NOT this factoid, which tickled me endlessly.

The myth that Australian aborgines were isolated, didn't know how to make simple things like boats and etc is entrenched in popular culture. While academics has worked to repulse the colonial narrative, it still present in modern day biases.

Contrary to Australia being isolated and Aborgines being utter primitives, the same myths the British used to justify taking over the land in America, we now know of a vast trade network that links the Aborgines to the lands of China and India. Tasmania and her islands were key to this, as they formed the closest bridge to SEA and the Pacific peoples and Malay traders like Bugis (I'm not going to go into the whole complicated Malayness topic and just classify everyone who lived in the Pennisula and the surrounding islands into Indonesia as Malay for the sake of this post )

Posters may be reminded of how the Ming Dynasty had extensive trade links with the world, the Naval Silk road so as to speak, which became ever more important as Arab traders and etc changed the landlocked Silk Road.

While the mainland trade was in necessities such as rice (Vietnam and Thailand), SEA island trade was in luxuries such as sea cucumber, spices, turtle shells and etc. And this is where the Australians come in.

I was aware previously that Tasmanian natives participated in the trade. What I did NOT know was that this was naturally a call to adventure for other aborginals, who would join in the sailing trade and venture up north as far as Singapore to engage in such trade. The blogpost goes very mildly into the Malay trade and how the Dutch Indonesian Colonies, the tariffs and permit system led to rampant smuggling. Discussion of the Malay trade is .... Impossible since eventually we need to talk about the Dutch,Portugues and British rivalry, the global spice trade and then how that transited to the Clipper tea trade and the contentions between Malay historians pointing out that Malay piracy was actually Malay kingdoms enforcing their sovereignty and not the European narrative of piracy.

Suffice to say that this... Ended up in the hilarious tale of a British exploration mission in the deserts of Australia, likely lost and starving, relying on the Australians to save their lives ... Finding out that one of them spoke English because he had previously sailed to Singapore and learnt English there.

Last edited:
Back