I tend to include M/M relationships in the background in my quests... over in space-battles in my space-battles version of the God's cursed war, one of the possible romance options for the male main character is a boy.

But... honestly, I'm more likely to run a female main character than a male one. But M/M stuff still happens in the background. It's not always obvious though, I guess.

Like, characters with two dads, or an offhand mention of a couple.

Last edited:
Also yuri tends to happen a lot in gender bender
or there is no romantic relationships at the reason I hate yuri in gender bender is there is no conflict no exploration of humanity and gender just a sterile safe option and if their is no romance it is just a maggufin because the only interesting lesbian/gay story's is ones that they struggle with the fact that they are gay

or there is no romantic relationships at the reason I hate yuri in gender bender is there is no conflict no exploration of humanity and gender just a sterile safe option and if their is no romance it is just a maggufin because the only interesting lesbian/gay story's is ones that they struggle with the fact that they are gay

Uhhhhh.... I'm trying to parse through what you said, but I have to disagree that the only interesting lesbian/gay stories are ones filled with gayngst.

I honestly have no idea what you just said. Please use punctuation.

This has been covered before. I'll say what I said before.

"No. You don't need gayngst. Normalize it. You can do whatever the fuck you want in your fictional setting. If you want your story to be about coming out, you can, but it's not necessary."

I mean straight people are treated as mundane. Let queer folks be mundane, too.

"No. You don't need gayngst. Normalize it. You can do whatever the fuck you want in your fictional setting. If you want your story to be about coming out, you can, but it's not necessary."

This is especially true in sci fi/fantasy stories where the entire issue of homophobia may well be long dead or have never existed in the first place. At that point making a big deal of somebody's sexuality just comes across as being contrived.

This has been covered before. I'll say what I said before.

Well, that's how I do it, when I write. But then again, I think monosexuals are weirdos. Why would you limit your romance options to half of the population?

I think gayngst ad normalization are both perfectly fine options. To say it HAS to have gayngst is just silly.

And what's more... in gender bender fics, which is usually a male character becomes female (or should that be "female"?) - wouldn't you expect yuri? Why should someone suddenly go for the other gender just because their outwards appearance has changed?

I think gayngst ad normalization are both perfectly fine options. To say it HAS to have gayngst is just silly.

And what's more... in gender bender fics, which is usually a male character becomes female (or should that be "female"?) - wouldn't you expect yuri? Why should someone suddenly go for the other gender just because their outwards appearance has changed?
Because the person who got flipped is suffering from such severe body dysphoria (something those fics generally drop after a moment of initial surprise) that they are either unable unwilling or uninterested in having sex period?

I've seen a few that answered that by bending the love interest too.

Because the person who got flipped is suffering from such severe body dysphoria (something those fics generally drop after a moment of initial surprise) that they are either unable unwilling or uninterested in having sex period?

I feel the phrase "whereof one cannot speak, one must be silent" can apply to why dysphoria/asexuality issues aren't run with more in fics; the writer doesn't know those are a thing. It just doesn't parse.

Now, as someone who's three for four on the Cishet White Male Privilege Bingo Card, I shy away from those things because I honestly don't know enough about the subjects to write comfortably about them. I've been steeped in enough post-structural magical girl stuff and had enough queer female friends to fake it with lesbians. I can do genderfucking guys because there's at least the lifeboat of being a guy and having the het option as the easy out.

Authenticity is important in these regards, and I'd rather write nothing than write something completely inauthentic.

I feel the phrase "whereof one cannot speak, one must be silent" can apply to why dysphoria/asexuality issues aren't run with more in fics; the writer doesn't know those are a thing. It just doesn't parse.
Well that and... lets be honest with ourselves. Most fics based on the premise of a character changing sex or gender are not really interested in a deep realistic discussion of the day to day realities of being transgendered. They are usually done out of novelty or fetishization.
I can do genderfucking guys because there's at least the lifeboat of being a guy and having the het option as the easy out.
I don't know what this means.

Androgynous/genderqueer/crossdressing, but not full on transgender. Otokonoko types.

I've also heard it used to refer to a lady with an impressive red beard, that she had braided. She had green ribbons braided in it, it was very interesting. I asked her about it and she said it was "Genderfuck"

I asked how I could get a beard like that, and she said I probably couldn't pull it off. Such is life. I think maybe she had beard extensions?

Last edited:

Genderbending stuff, which I've loved since childhood for when it explores things like societal expectations, usually operates in a way that either keeps the person's sexuality the same or switches that along with sex. Or like another has said, the MC is actually bisexual. It's been a while since I've read any though. And yeah, there isn't really separation of gender and sex in most GB manga that I can remember. GB fics do tend to be different these days. I've seen a few that have the GB'd character written as trans or otherwise not cis.

A lot of it runs off of magic being the cause, so the logic probably runs off of magic being some cure all, because [Wheezes Intensify]

There's really only one genderbending manga I've read recently that really captures the right feeling of dysphoria, angst, and discomfort that comes with growing up in the wrong body. Check it out Shisunki Bitter Change. Despite not being a specifically trans story it has some very trans feelings to it.

There's really only one genderbending manga I've read recently that really captures the right feeling of dysphoria, angst, and discomfort that comes with growing up in the wrong body. Check it out Shisunki Bitter Change. Despite not being a specifically trans story it has some very trans feelings to it.
What about Futuba-kun Change? It actually... manages a bit better than one would expect for such a silly series.

Hell, Ranma 1/2 manages to do a pretty realistic depiction of sex-changing magical curses: No matter what body Ranma's in, he's still Ranma. He's pretty used to it too, but still occasionally agnsts about his curse.

What about Futuba-kun Change? It actually... manages a bit better than one would expect for such a silly series.

Hell, Ranma 1/2 manages to do a pretty realistic depiction of sex-changing magical curses: No matter what body Ranma's in, he's still Ranma. He's pretty used to it too, but still occasionally agnsts about his curse.

Personally I don't count either of those because they're slapstick comedies that are all about how hilarious it is that a dude turns into a girl under certain conditions. They don't actually treat the subject matter with the sort of maturity I like to see.

Personally I don't count either of those because they're slapstick comedies that are all about how hilarious it is that a dude turns into a girl under certain conditions. They don't actually treat the subject matter with the sort of maturity I like to see.
Not really sure how much maturity is appropriate. Frankly, for most events in the real world, your choice is laugh or cry. I'd usually rather laugh than cry.

Edit: Frankly, so long as the psychological behavior seems realistic enough that I can model the character as a person, I think it's sufficiently serious, no matter how slapstick it is

Last edited:
Not really sure how much maturity is appropriate. Frankly, for most events in the real world, your choice is laugh or cry. I'd usually rather laugh than cry.

I'm just saying the way I prefer to see it as a trans person. Like... there's nothing interesting in going "tee hee that boy got put in a girl's body. Let's have ~wacky~ hijinx." Being in the wrong body can be incredibly disconcerting and disorienting. There's something to be said for comedy around it but I think it needs to be more sophisticated than just "lel body switch."

Genderbending stuff, which I've loved since childhood for when it explores things like societal expectations, usually operates in a way that either keeps the person's sexuality the same or switches that along with sex. Or like another has said, the MC is actually bisexual.
Hm, yeah. It just seems so doubly heteronormative to me.

"You have a female body now, so of course you're a girl/woman now!"
"You're a girl/woman now, so of course you're now into guys!"

The latter can be explained by the guy always having been bisexual, but unless that has been established before that seems like ex post facto justifications...

Back