Space Station Shock - Survive. (Original Sci-Fi/Horror setting)

Created at
Index progress
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Inspired by System Shock/Good old Dead Space/Classic horror RPGs in space. Can you guide someone to safety? Or will you succumb? You're alone out here, sonny Jim. All alone.

Don't let the spiders bite now!
Opening Post

shadenight123

Ten books I have published. More await!
It is a placid day/night cycle.

The vastness of space cannot be bzzt. unconsidered.

Unconsidered?

Undenied? bzzt. Denied.

Access Denied.

Insert Username and Password.

Wrong Username and Password.

Do you wish to reset your username and/or password?

"Please work-" audio feeds capture the muttering. "Please work-"

Gggreetings! You are an unauthorized user! Pl-please wait for security!

"Fuck-" the curse is louder. There's a nasty bzzt sound again. Is someone toying with the neurotransmitters? Something's scurrying.

Get it off me. Get it off me!

A sharp scream. Silence.

A system reboots. It flickers with emergency light. Something moans in the darkness, lurking with heavy, ponderous steps as the walkway creaks under the strain of its mass. Shrieking, badly oiled rotors spark across its rails hanging perilously from above.

A willowy, flesh-like protrusion spins in complex shapes like the spindly limb of a spider as the muted screams of the unlucky soul snarl with the consciousness that all is lost.

That's when you awake.

Your hands slam against the cryogenic chamber; a light flickers white, then stops and the emergency ones light up. It takes a moment for the freezing cold in your limbs to thaw. A longer moment for the nerves to kick in. You feel cold. You feel sad. You feel happy. The hormones rushing through your body with the stims are doing their job at reawakening your whole nervous system. It takes a while.

You shudder and take a deep breath. A hand thumps against the frozen surface of your Cryo-Pod. It slides down, slick with blood. You hold your breath, watch the deeply red imprint against the ice slide down, an unconscious body toppling on the floor, and something twitching beyond it, skittering with sharp shrieks as you hear the tugging of cloth and the biting of flesh, the dragging of a heavy thing across a metal floor.

There are a few more thumps. A few more shrieks. Then, the flickers are done with. You are thawed. The cryo-pod does not budge.

How are you going to get yourself out of this?

[X] You have muscles for a reason. Brute force should work.
[X] You have nimble fingers for a reason. The emergency lever is somewhere nearby.
[X] You have a brain for a reason. There should be a panel you can interact with.

Getting out of the Cryo-Pod isn't the only thing you need to think about, however. Once out, there's something out there. You can hear it skittering further away, but it doesn't mean it won't come back. It doesn't mean it won't try to make you dead, like the body you saw.

Once outside, you'll have precious seconds to grab something. Anything nearby. What should you aim for first?

[X] Any blunt instrument will do. When something's a problem, smashing it till it stops twitching is the solution.
[X] A gun. Flashy. Noisy. But deadly. Or so you hope if your aim stays true.
[X] A 3D-Flash Forger. It's not a deadly thing, but it opens up to potentialities. If you don't get eaten in the meantime, of course.

You take a deeper breath still. You are ready.

You are, after all...

[X] A marine in charge of protecting the Space Station.
[X] A monkey-wrench meant to handle the delicate subsystems.
[X] A scientist who wasn't supposed to be woken up until much later.

Finally, pick the most important thing of them all (maybe)?

Space Station Name:

[X] Space Station V
[X] Gateway Station
[X] Space Station Solaris
[X] Space Station Ticonderoga
[X] Space Station Mir
[X] Space Station Titan

And the least important thing of them all. Your name:

[X] Insert Name.

Game Mechanics

AN: Welcome to the Shade System, where things are Strong, Smart or Spry, and there's a ladder like in Fate Accelerated. There's gonna be a lot of S going around :V

Two things first: I'm gonna roll the dice through SV's system, so everyone can see them, and it's a 4D6 system where in order to succeed there's a target difficulty (from zero to 15) in which each D6 is summed to the main characteristic involved.

So, example on opening a door with difficulty 5, you roll 4D6 and each D6 is a separate roll against the difficulty. A 6 on the dice does not mean automatic success and a 1 does not mean failure. Situational Advantages will net extra dice or reduce the difficulty. A simple door requires 1 success only, a medium door 2, a strong door 3, and an extremely secured door 4 successes.

Failure on most rolls means you cannot try that approach again until your stats improve/the situation changes/a day has gone by. Whether because you broke the tools of the job, simply do not have the knowledge, or grow 'frustrated' with the attempt and decide to leave it for the next day.

Then, you get the Strikes. You start with one. At maximum you can have two. They regen each day to 1, but if you have 2 and were meant to earn one, you don't get the extra and you miss your chance.

Strikes serve two purposes: They are automatically used as Supplementary-Lives, (if you have a strike and get mortally wounded, you dodge out of the last deadly blow, but it doesn't mean you're out of the woods yet) and they can be Scratched (See that there's going to be a lot of S in this system? :V) to remove a challenge due to some lucky coincidence ahead of you.

The Scratching must be called before attempting the roll. They're not meant to save you if you fail; they're meant to help you by means of lucky coincidences. An attempt at opening a door reveals it was open all along; a test on discovering a deadly sickness turns up a past researcher already analyzed it and left it pinned on the computer desktop; a monster meant to be a deadly fight slips on a banana peel and launches itself into an active recycling unit, becoming nutrient paste.

How do you earn Strikes then? By being in the Situation. (Should have been 'Zone', but we're going with an S-Theme, you know?) Interacting with the environment around you through Write-In options, writing 'Extra' things from the perspective of the character and giving a voice and a tone to the situation at hand.

Now, for the genre & setting: this is not D&D. This is inspired by Dead Space, if it was run in normal difficulty, not 'Easy'. There can be fights, but resources are going to be scarce. You've gotta be careful, but you can take some risks.

Fighting Enemies

By default, you have two health, and regenerate one point of it each day; enemies will roll less success-dice than you if weaker than you, but they'll roll more dice if they're stronger than you, and multiple enemies will roll concurrently. Word of advice: if you see a group of enemy, don't fight them alone. Hide/run.

The success needed to hit a character is dependent on a basic 2+the average between Smart, Spry and Strong. This means it doesn't matter if you're a pure-Something character for defending yourself; you're wise enough to know you should stay back, or you're nimble enough to dodge, or strong enough to tank the blow. Enemy damage will vary from 1 point of health, to 2, to even more. Hello bloody Smear (Another S!) on the ground, how's your day?

Your starting stats will be anything from +3, +0, +0 to +1, +1, +1 to any variety of that. Where does the stat difference come in? In the environment-exploration, and in the attacking. Strong is used for melee attacks. They occur at the same time as the enemy. Double simultaneous wipe-out? Possible. Spry is used for ranged attacks. Those occur first if the enemy is far away from you. If the enemy is instead closer to you, they go first and you go second. The weapon you are holding in your hands is determined by the last Storyteller (another S :V) scene unless you otherwise swap it/run out of ammunition.

Smart determines how the situation looks like when the fight begins. Depending on the encounter difficulty, a success on Smart means you get to decide the starting position; away, close, create an advantage...but a failure means it's the enemy who gets to pick that. Usually, it just means they're going to get closer...but each enemy might be different, not just in how it kills, but also how it thinks.

SO, to recap: Smart first, then either Strong or Spry.

Now, on to the weapons and their damages:

Weapons add automatic success as long as at least one success is netted. So, have a nice sturdy iron spear that gives plus one automatic success? Get one success on the D6 and you'll get an extra one tackled on to the total score. Just like Armor will automatically detract those.

For now, this should be all the important info. The rest, well, you'll find out when it pops up, or when the situation warrants it.

(Good luck, have fun, remember my word is Law and I headpat you all like the mother bear I am)

((Also, if this tests out nicely enough, I might even get this out as its own RPG system. This way I can say I'm diversifying my portfolio of works! :V))

[X] You have a brain for a reason. There should be a panel you can interact with.
[X] Any blunt instrument will do. When something's a problem, smashing it till it stops twitching is the solution.

Brains+monkey wrench should mean we have a more than decent knowledge of the station's layout, of where the shortcuts are, and maybe where we can find Bob's secret stash of smuggled booze and guns.

Blunt instrument, because short-term survival's paramount. We can start thinking long-term when we actually get our feet onto the ground and know what the actual fuck is going on.

Station name... Since this is System shock inspired, can I suggest an oblique reference?
[X] Melancholia

And character name:
[X] Jack

BTW I think it might've been better to introduce the nitty-gritty of the mechanics later on when they become relevant? Or at least put it in a separate post & threadmark. Putting it up front with the opening scene is a bit of information overload, and takes some immersion away from the reader if one second they're imagining a horror set piece and the next is they're suddenly reading about stats and dice rolls.

Now this is certainly a new and interesting idea for a Quest!

I'm exited to see where this is going, especially with the survival horror theme.

Also, here are my votes!

[X] You have nimble fingers for a reason. The emergency lever is somewhere nearby.

Once outside, you'll have precious seconds to grab something. Anything nearby. What should you aim for first?

You are, after all...

Space Station Name:
[X] Space Station Titan

[X] Jack

P.S.

Having Jack as our name reminds me of Bioshock...And that is kind of a good thing. Also, I want our character to be a Marine. It's nice to have some combat experience in situations like these!

[X] Space Station Mir

Aiming for an even blend of Smart/Spry

Last edited:

[X] Space Station Eris

Eris for the goddess of discord

Let's plan for success. The 3d flash forger is basically an omnitool or portable replicator. Weapons, armor, traps, barriers? Maybe, even probably restricted to simple items, this is probably both the hardest item to find later, and the one we're going to get the most mileage out of in total for as long as we have it.

[X] A 3D-Flash Forger. It's not a deadly thing, but it opens up to potentialities. If you don't get eaten in the meantime, of course.

You are, after all...

Space Station Name:
[X] Space Station Titan

[X] Adrian Shepard

[X] Space Station 13

Last edited:
[X] You have a brain for a reason. There should be a panel you can interact with

[X] A 3D-Flash Forger. It's not a deadly thing, but it opens up to potentialities. If you don't get eaten in the meantime, of course

Dark soul reference for the horror

[X] Space Station Name: Space Station Titan

Hey if being an engineer out of his depth is good enough for Isaac to almost stop a horde of planet sized abominations its good enough for us here!
Also, Future!3D printer will be the most versatile and solve more problems than a gun or metal stick will.
As for the station name, I am a huge fan of the Dead Space games and really wanted Isaac to pull out a win.

Last edited:
[X] Jack

-------------

What should you aim for first. Gives the feeling, that some stuff will be able to be found later on.

A blunt instrument to hit with or a gun to shoot with are amongst possibilities.

These items don't like stuff he'll pass by if he finds them. Or can make them.

Which the forger hints at.

[X] Jack

What should you aim for first. Gives the feeling, that some stuff will be able to be found later on.

A blunt instrument to hit with or a gun to shoot with are amongst possibilities.

These items don't like stuff he'll pass by if he finds them. Or can make them.

Which the forger hints at.
The forger also hints that it needs a relatively safe space before we can forge stuff (and probably needs stock material to forge stuff with).

And we just saw someone get their face eaten off right outside our cryopod. And we're grabbing the very first thing we see before we leg it, so we're definitely not making weapons and armor right out of the gate.

So yeah this really is immediate survival vs long-term gains.

Last edited:
This actually reminds me a bit of a scene in a movie I saw a long while back, where a guy wakes up on a colony ship only to find monsters onboard. And there's a scene where they're fleeing from them, only for a cryo pod to pop-up/open/thaw.

Though, in that case, the inhabitant was promptly torn to shreds as the monsters had stopped chasing, knowing/recognizing they were about to be provided a free meal.

So... probably not the best comparison to make, given our situation.
A willowy, flesh-like protrusion spins in complex shapes like the spindly limb of a spider as the muted screams of the unlucky soul snarl with the consciousness that all is lost.
I honestly had difficulty parsing this bit/it didn't make sense to my brain.

And, to be clear, are all of these items available in the immediate area? Because the choice denotes which you'll be going for first, implying that it's an option of which you reach for, rather than a choice of which one you find (presumably if this is the case, then they were all in possession of what is now a corpse).

This actually reminds me a bit of a scene in a movie I saw a long while back, where a guy wakes up on a colony ship only to find monsters onboard. And there's a scene where they're fleeing from them, only for a cryo pod to pop-up/open/thaw.

Though, in that case, the inhabitant was promptly torn to shreds as the monsters had stopped chasing, knowing/recognizing they were about to be provided a free meal.
I know the movie your talking about. Its Pandorum.

And, to be clear, are all of these items available in the immediate area? Because the choice denotes which you'll be going for first, implying that it's an option of which you reach for, rather than a choice of which one you find (presumably if this is the case, then they were all in possession of what is now a corpse).
That is a good question.

Last edited:
[X] Space Station 13

[x] You have muscles for a reason. Brute force should work.
[x] Any blunt instrument will do. When something's a problem, smashing it till it stops twitching is the solution.
[x] A marine in charge of protecting the Space Station.
[x] Space Station Mir

[X] Space Station Titan
[X] Gordon Freeman

My kingdom for a Crowbar

I think I agree with the idea that we need to be prepared for a long-haul rather than our immediate survival. Might be a bit meta-gamey, but the enemy we just saw is more likely to be focused with... well, its meal, than anything else. If this is going to be a standard horror style event, we're going to need supplies in order to survive and repair parts of the station damaged by the Scuttles. I'm getting Alien Isolation flashbacks.

[X] Gateway Station

[X] Jack

[X] Gateway station
[X] Jack

[X] A scientist who wasn't supposed to be woken up until much later.
[X] Space Station Ticonderoga
[x] Mary

[X] Space Station 13

[X] Space Station 13
Hey hey people we thought the same thing.

[X] Space Station 13

Back