Jewel probably could have put a curse on absolutely all the guards that actively participated in kidnapping girls and all the guards that passively allowed the assassination of Bathory and it still would have left, like, 25-75% of the guards, which would have caused chaos but wouldn't have left Kaeketeh in such shambles.

But it seems to me she got angry about both of those things and conflated them, which led her to curse all the guards that passively allowed the kidnapping of girls without considering that that is a) practically by definition all of them, not just the ones in front of her and b) quite hypocritical, considering that she had more ability and knowledge than any of them!

Last edited:
9.4 New

Jewel looked at the finery draped baron before her.

He had white and blue fabric, shining silver pins and clasps for his jacket. The legs of his dressing were tight enough to show the muscle of his calves and a hint of the thigh.

But then the rest draped in what was a thin cloth imitation of proper maile. Like her father's ceremonial metal armor, but even less substantial for its use of sometimes sheer cloth. Hints of gold thread had been stitched along the sleeves and torso.

His garments proclaimed his wealth, the colors spoke of his house. Matching the heraldry of his city and barony, blue field with a silver and white gauntlet holding a burning wreath in black braid and red flame. Although his finery was noble it complemented and mirrored the more functional armor of his footmen in a way that spoke well. But his house had been notably absent from the muster against the high king.

Jewel had tried to fit every single detail of each Vassal into her head. And now she was trying to recall everything she knew about the man before her and his place in Viznove.

The crier echoed the title she already knew.
"Presenting, Lord Lukas of Ogien. Of House Ogien, Keeper of the flame spring of Ogien and the lands and farms of its banks."

He was lord of the city and the river of the same name. The city, manor and fortress was straddled on a hill by a bend of the Ogien river where it turned around the mountain of the Moot, the only pillar of the Skyvault within Viznove proper. He also held the lands north and east along one tributary into the mountains and the surrounding valleys. The villages in those territories all belonged to this man.

Ogien was the richest of the cities that were not on the Vah itself. Trade and wealth mostly collected in the city after coming down the Ogien, with only a few goods flowing downriver to join the Vah.

He stood before her but did not acknowledge Jewel with a proper bow, just the courtesy dip of the head of a guest in her home.

Jewel considered the man and what she had been able to read.

The currents were not as gentle in the Ogien as the Vah's course south of Kaeketeh and it was written that although water travel upriver was possible it was hard enough that trade had to mostly go over land for goods that flowed along Vah elsewhere in Viznove. However such a position meant that little made north of Ogien ever traveled the waters of the Vah either.

The Barony of Ogien and the numerous vassalages and alliances which it held had cohered into the largest block of holdouts to recognition of Jewel's assumption of the County and all who had sworn fealty to it.

That so many of them were along the very road to Rochford from Kaeketeh made her fire itch to burst free.

But Paul and Mother insisted this was an opportunity as well.

"I greet you Lady Jewel, Countess and Shining Wyrm of Viznove."

That he left off even an acknowledgement of fealty to her was setting the tone of this meeting.

This would be one of many exchanges to try and sway him.

If Jewel could satisfy and bring Lukas to bend the knee then he would pressure all who aligned with him as well.

The position of Ogien as the gate to the numerous tributaries at its headwaters would secure the majority of the County. Just one man who stood tall below her gaze held the key to settling Jewel's inheritance of the title and would free her to focus on cleaning up Kaeketeh.

She kept her tone soft and civil.

"And I greet you Lord Lukas, Baron of Ogien, Keeper of the flame spring."

The way he smelled as he smiled up at her was far too much like Fizzbunches's smugness for him to not be completely aware of the position he held.

"Certainly the fortunes must have held a long gaze on the Countess, Jewel of Viznove. To be married and then less then a year later inherit so much under such circumstances? My condolences to the loss of your predecessor. But you seem to have put quite the will into cutting free the rot in Kaeketeh."

This was not the usual meeting behind closed doors, Jewel did not trust herself to Bathory's old study. That room was absolutely tiny.

But it was also not the full pomp of a proper officious meeting steeped in tradition and long practice with all matters properly and fully settled beforehand. The Feasting hall was meant for such but it had been slowly but surely commandeered to be as much a place of judgment, feasting and official ceremony as Jewel's impromptu study.

The ill fitting nature of it all drew another pang of longing for Jewel's manor house, with its properly sized rooms.

She nodded to the man, who had brought four footmen into the chamber.

"Yes, the treachery against the countess bathory and the people of Kaeketeh ran very deep indeed. More so than even I realized until after the sorcery had done its work."

Lukas of Ogien nodded and his smile was bright. He smelled of fear, as any stranger might. Jewel recognized his scent from the wedding but at the time she had not really needed to consider any of the nothings and flattery he gave.

He smelled of fear, but resolve, pride and an assurance that left her certain he was confident in this meeting.

Jewel was presenting that she was a humble liege. Giving him permission to acknowledge it.

"That is the risk of sorcery, I can understand the concern and need for expedience given the nature of poor Bathory's death. But such magic is like a fire, it must be carefully used lest it spark and spread far."

Jewel held herself as she should, as she had gotten practice with the Vassals of the Vah and those smaller territories more local to Kaeketeh.

Mother and Paul had helped give her pointers as well.

"I agree wholeheartedly Lord Lukas, I am not intending to enact such a working in pursuit of justice in the foreseeable future. It is an act best kept to only the most severe of crimes."

This was the problem with having a feasting hall used for quiet meetings.

Both of them had their footmen present.

Both of them had to speak for themselves, their demesnes and the eyes which watched.

Dismissing their guards under the present tensions within Viznove was absolutely improper. But what needed to be discussed desperately required that they speak plainly.

However instead of being able to do such things they had to do this! Unfortunately, Jewel felt that of the two of them Lord Lukas was the far better practiced at the game of courtly intrigue and subtle negotiations under veiled politeness.

"Just so, Still it pains me to see Kaeketeh being bled so, but I am sure under your gentle ministrations it will heal back all the healthier, in time."

Jewel was honestly not sure if she would rather be dealing with the guilds or this man.

"The sooner all of Viznove is whole and secure again from the trials she has been tested with, the sooner I can focus on Kaeketeh in full. I understand that you have come to present how I may give aid to the sheltered interior of my dominion and its peerage?"

That was perhaps a bit brash and abrupt, but Jewel did not want to spend days on this, they had already spent an entire evening on propriety in Lukas' welcoming feast.

There was proper and then there was blatant delay.

He offered a sharper smile than before, and Jewel could smell the triumph on him. She tried raising a brow the way Bathory once did.

"Ah of course, to business then. It is abundantly clear that the present Countess and her household are less circumspect with the applying of Sorcery to the needs of Viznove? The late Bathory, may she remain resting peacefully."

Jewel joined him in dipping her own head and offered her own strength to the fervent wish.

"May she remain resting peacefully."

Lukas raised from the quite understandable prayer. Of anyone that would be a terrifying force to face as a revenant Bathory was one Jewel hoped to never see.

"However her quietude aside, your predecessor was unwilling to offer the recent bounty of Viznove in matters of sorcery in aid to the people of her land. I am to understand that in your father's own demesne a Sorcerer of some skill performs work upon the waters of Rochford?"

Jewel considered, she had not been expecting this. He smelled hopeful, perhaps a little greedy, but not overly so given what she had tasted of the man in the air so far.

"Yes, that is so. House Rochford retains the service of the Weird Tsulogothulan for-"

She had to count a moment, letting the time settle upon her.

"Eleven more years. Although if I recall correctly the fields of the Ogien hardly should have want for water?"

The man smiled even wider and the triumph had just about conquered the rank undercurrent of his fear. He showed a great deal of bravery to not betray his feelings like that, his face was bright, hardly even a hint of the tumult she could taste in his scent. He dipped his head lower than that called for merely as a guest. The first hint of even acquiescing to his place as her vassal yet.

"Oh certainly not, our fields are irrigated and watered well by the Ogien and it nourishes the fields heartily, blessed by the flame spring itself. But as nourishing and vitalizing as the waters of the Ogien are, I am sure my lady is aware it is quite a wild thing."
Jewel had never seen for herself just how 'wild' any river could be. She'd barely even known what one was until she first saw the Vah.

But the books, letters, Paul and her parent's counsel all said it was so.

"As says the Lord Ogien."

Whatever his bid was Jewel could smell that the Lord of Ogien was nearing his triumph. The anticipation, the fear, the excitement. It was all building in him. It practically was pouring into the air from his nervous sweat.

"Given the new freedom with which the Countess Wyrm dispenses sorcery, it is the hope that the deprivation of her predecessor in this matter will be corrected, and that it would be in the benevolence of the Shining Wyrm of Viznove to aide her people in peace as well as war. Especially while she retains the services of a Sorcerer and Wizard suited to the task."

Jewel took a deep breath, letting out one of the sighs she had often felt the need to. Slow and steady, the air not taking even a lick of wyrmflame, but still she could see how it billowed around Lukas. His fear went even sharper and more acrid even as she blew it back from her nose.

"If the Lord Ogien would speak plainly of what task he wishes Tsulogothulan to perform in exchange for his owed fealty to Viznove and her Countess?"

He did not even pause in rallying despite the implicit threat. He could have been rendered to ash if that breath had been more than air.

"If you gentle the Ogien south of my holdings well enough that barges can be safely pulled north from the Vah I will assure you the fealty of Viznove."

He was terrified of what she would say.

Yet Lukas asked anyway, he trusted she was more than a monster, more than some legend that would dispense curses. More than a beast to be worked around and tamed, It was not the loyalty or ease she wanted from a vassal.

But it was a start.

"I will need to consult with the Weird Tsulogothulan. If it can be done then I will see to it."

There was the triumph that had been building, the relief, the stink of victory.

Jewel had smelled this on more martial men. The same scent when they cut down a foe where he stood. When a blow was true and spilled the guts of his enemy.

Lukas was not a martial man.

But his pride smelled the same when he won.

"However, not all things are possible in sorcery, if the sworn Wizard of Rochford declines we will have to come back to the matter of your loyalty, Lukas."

And there was the fear again.

Long after he and his footmen had departed Jewel stared at where he stood.

Wondering if she was already failing in the very thing she had wished to never do.

Was she really doing any better than Bathory had?

Last edited:
Hardly!
I'm 90% certain the dragon here is in the details of how you're going about things!
See, I think Bathory would hear him out…
But she would impose a tithe and debts most terrible in the process of seeing this done.
Jewel, If I am right is about to be much more lenient in the terms of his service then Bathory EVER would have…
Well, depending on how much Jaska screwed the pooch.
Jaska protect your charges!
Also I bet that Hack of a Wizard wouldn't be able to offer the assistance required despite the proximity to what would be his own domain as a Weird!

Hardly!
I'm 90% certain the dragon here is in the details of how you're going about things!
See, I think Bathory would hear him out…
But she would impose a tithe and debts most terrible in the process of seeing this done.
Jewel, If I am right is about to be much more lenient in the terms of his service then Bathory EVER would have…
Well, depending on how much Jaska screwed the pooch.
Jaska protect your charges!
Also I bet that Hack of a Wizard wouldn't be able to offer the assistance required despite the proximity to what would be his own domain as a Weird!

Honestly jaska reminds me more of an idiot alchemist creating things he shouldn't than a wizard. All he's missing is for his charges to turn around and eat him.

Who are you and how did you get in here? New
Honestly jaska reminds me more of an idiot alchemist creating things he shouldn't than a wizard. All he's missing is for his charges to turn around and eat him.
That would just about figure if he went and got himself eaten by his duty…
On another note: the river…
By the way it's described the problem is too much water in too small a space…Well…Lemme try something:

May I interject in this discussion, Lady Jewel, Baron?
Jewel: You may, but how is this your business?
Well, as I understand it, the good baron here wishes for his river to be gentled, as it is currently too wild for ferry boats, and while he seeks the aid of your wizard, I believe there is an alternative solution then sorcery.
Baron: And what might this solution be?
Jewel gives me a sharp look.
I believe the problem to be too much river and not enough riverbed, rather akin to the lady here attempting to enter a hallway too small for her-she could force the matter, but she would do significant damage to the hallway in the process.
Jewel begrudgingly nods, the baron raises an eyebrow.
Baron: I see, but are you proposing I simply supply the labor of widening the river? I already draw upon it for irrigation purposes.
Jewel: You would have me dig the river deeper then? I suppose I can take that option under consideration. But let me ask you something. How did you bypass our guards.
By the power of plot! *poofs away to escape.*

Jewel is being as hostile to me as she is in this omake because my suggestion potentially undercuts the work that would get the baron to swear fealty to her and thus leave her beholden to him, which would not do. That's why she kind of cuts me off. I don't think she would mind what I have to say, but she would mind a stranger showing up in a semi-private meeting…But probably not as much as the guards would mind- that's their job!

9.5 New

Adelyne was not sure that she actually liked the new task that Lady Jewel had for her. She could not deny she was a lot more comfortable with it then the near panic of trying to clean terribly fragile items worth more silver than she ever held in her life.

But roving the familiar streets of Kaeketeh while dressed in a clean dress worth an absurd amount of Pfennig in 'Wyrmspun Wool' in order to try and do what she could to 'speak for the alleys and shadows' was not anything she had ever been prepared to try. Also it made her rather uncomfortable how some of the children had started treating her like a challenge to hone their craft.

She released the wrist of the latest sneaky bastard (as most children were).

"Lil Gombj flaker! I've caught ya thrice now! You know the deal! Haepenny each for a good solid true word on what's up with the waifs! Lie or snatch at my purse and a kick in the ribs!"

Now properly admonished Adelyne kicked out into the side of the too brave by half boy, but soft like. Jewel would probably turn her into whatever the Wyrm's idea of a frog was if she ever heard that Adelyne did anything harmful to even a thieving child.

Lil Gombji flaker (so named for when he was younger and left too many crumbs when he ate) winced and bowed to her and called Adelyne "her Ladyship" just to rankle her.

It was not even four years ago she was in the same place he was!

She scowled at the silently laughing boy and rolled one of the half silver coins she'd been using to bribe the roving band of orphans (or near enough) that lurked and worked the crowds in gate town.

"So out with the word then?"

The shine shut him up better and faster than any amount of cursing or kicks could. A whole silver this size was fresh bread roll. Or if his stomach could handle saving it a good ways towards one of the meat pasties that you didn't have to run away with.

Adelyne remembered the weight of silver on a hungry stomach well.

She knew Lil Gombji did too.

"Right your ladyship, so like, word is a waif was spotted through a window in the old Sopper's house this morning."

Adelyne raised a brow, she'd already gotten word of one last being seen on streets near there and never coming back out. Confirmation was good and a more specific location definitely worth half a pfennig.

Still she wanted a bit more.

"The one that was left fallow three years for wood rotting out the roof? The one none in the guilds gone to fix?"

The boy nodded and Adelyne rolled the half silver into her palm then spun a full pfennig into view.

"Got more for me lil Gombji? What the state of her was?"

The boy scowled and wrinkled his nose at that.

"It was bad, I peeked through the window, she was strung up with dock rope, bleeding and indecent. Still breathing though!"

Adelyne sighed and rolled three full Pfennig between her fingers before settling them in her open palm to the boy. It was honestly a better tip then most she'd heard.

And that was a good spot well within Tanner's turf.

On Jewel's word, the count consort's deal with the Butchers & Soppers and Adelyne's own clout being 'Ginter's girl back from the dead' she could probably rustle up a good mob of men very handy with the art of cutting meat from bone and strong enough to haul full grown pigs over each shoulder.

The boy snatched up the coins and then was off running like he stole it.

While Adelyne could not fault the lad (you needed to have your pride on Kaeketeh's streets). But if he ever actually claimed to have gotten the coin from snatching off her she'd track him down and whoop his hide raw. She might be under the owned bond of the Lady Jewel herself and dressed in a ransom of magic wool but she still had her reputation to uphold on the street.

Still that was a good tip and now she needed to do the far less pleasant part of her newly assigned duty and make way to the absolute stink and wretchedness that was the tanner's district.

Most of the guilds kept their houses or halls somewhat close to their work. But the Butchers and Soppers seemed to delight in having their main building right next door to the tanner's.

Adelyne was not sure precisely why but she'd seen a few and heard of more late night brawls between the apprentices of both guilds.

Exactly what the business was that led to such she never quite found out and even now that she'd talked with them on more than one occasion could not even imagine. Tanners in Kaeketeh were either best of friends or mortal enemies with Butchers.

Likewise Soppers either were welcomed like brothers in the tanner district or liable to end up with a slit throat. Or so the word went, but Adelyne was pretty sure that Ginter would have told her if there had ever been any actual murders between the guilds. Either way for whatever reason it seemed like at least for the time being the Butchers & Soppers were throwing in with Lady Jewel.

While the Tanners apparently were taking this opportunity to make a lot of fuss and not much else.

Big burly men who reeked of blood and carried heavy sticks and maybe a cleaver or other work knife from the shops had done wonders for 'restoring the peace' either way, And Adelyne figured it was time that whatever price they had taken from the Lady Jewel was further earned.

As a thief and before that a beggar Adelyne had long since learned to endure smells the softer kids in the country did not.

Something rotting and awful could be an excellent place to give an angry mark the slip.

But even at her most desperate of times a youthful Adelyne would have thought thrice about running for the Tanneries of Kaeketeh.

There was the rot of trash, or meat gone a bit sour. And then there was the concoction of foulness which the filthy tanners and dyers seemed to delight in! Adelyne was glad that the winds either followed the currents of the river or had the decency to go clear across them.

The few times in the highest summer that the air in Kaeketeh went stagnant and still the stink of the tanners, dyers and other terrible miasma filled gate town like an awful bowl of fetid stew.

You'd think maybe that filthy terrible smell would be what inspired the ire of the soppers.

But the bastards were as often proud as can be to walk into the worst of the stench!

Adelyne walked fast as she could and kept to the streets most upwind to help with the smell. While holding her breath as often as possible on the route to south Kaeketeh.

When she finally was able to get into the Butcher and Sopper's guild house and the doors had swung solidly closed behind her, Adelyne gave a deep and thankful breath. You could still smell the blood, but it was buried under the sweet perfumes and other sharper accents of soap and boiling fat.

The clerk was as always smugly sitting behind his desk and pointedly not looking as Adelyne savored the almost entirely clean air. She was not sure precisely what his name was but he knew Adelyne and the arrangement with her Lady Jewel. He also managed guild affairs and larger work orders, mostly for soap (although skilled butchers were sometimes called on to join on hunts for an entourage.)

There was still a stagnant pungency beneath all the rest that filled the Butcher and Sopper's guild chambers. But compared to what even the street outside smelled like so close to Tanner's district it might as well have been a star blessing on Adelyne's nose.

There was unfortunately no one else ahead of her to delay the return to that nostril scouring air.

So Adelyne sighed and approached the Butcher and Sopper's Guildhouse clerk.

Voice ringing out clear to fill the room and spaces beyond.

"Word is there's another one that was spotted holed up on your turf. In one of the old sopper's houses even. Probably won't be nothing but the Countess' law is gonna need to call on some of your boys in case the idiots who did it are there and rowdy."

The guild clerk sighed and nodded. But he did not yet move from his chair to go round up whoever was available and thirsting for potential violence. Which was usually the younger apprentices or journeymen guilders in house.

"I don't suppose the countess might also have an order for something in the proper purview of guild business?"

Adelyne made a show of thinking about it before shaking her head.

"Sorry the linen washers were still full up for soap this morning. Unless you lot feel like you want to take another stab at that kraoska sausage she's so homesick for?"

The clerk actually paused at that, as if considering it. Adelyne didn't really understand it much herself. The guilds were always just a dangerous background to Kaeketeh when she was a girl. You didn't try to thieve off full proper guild members (the apprentices were fair game, a Journeyman you always made sure you took what was his and not his master's).

But as far as what strange feelings guided the comings and goings of anyone of a standing and skill to be in a guild?

Adelyne was left confounded.

The best she could compare it too was the way that a street child would rise up and do some truly foolish things if there were at least two others to watch them.

But applied to something different then posturing to keep your rivals off ya when you slept for fear of the violence you could later do, or showing that you were willing to go above and beyond for an avowed friend or family.

Guilders were strange like that.

They took making things as something like a matter of pride.

Sausage was for eating, if it filled your belly and didn't make you wretch what more was the pride of it for?!

That her lady and countess was finicky and apparently wanted something more than a good salty fish and pig in intestine sizzled up and oily with that slight woody hint of sawdust?

Well that was just strange nobles being noble and Jewel was strange, noble and a dragon besides.

But the butchers apparently took that as some kind of a challenge.

Some kind of a failure, like somehow not being able to make a sausage taste like what the lady wanted would risk them getting shoved out of a warm corner in the bunkhouse.

Adelyne huffed and apparently that was enough to get the Guild clerk moving.

Which was all the better, there was some waif bloodied and who knows what in the tanner's district.

And Adelyne needed to get a bunch of burly men skilled in the act of splitting meat and bone to go with her in case someone in Kaeketeh was stupid.

Which of course meant there was no question this would end in a terrible beating and violence.

Adelyne was just going to make sure that it was the other guys that suffered the worst of it.

I can only imagine what Ginter himself would make of his girl's current occupation.
She's gone from being a thief to a replacement for the guards!
Ginter in my head is perplexed but happy for her but I didn't have long in the genuine article's head.

9.6 New

Tsulogothulan did not react how Jewel had expected.

Taming a river certainly sounded like a great and onerous undertaking to Jewel. Although admittedly she was not even sure of the exact wildness of the Ogien or more than the word that along its path the walk was between two and four days from the city to where it joined with the Vah.

That definitely sounded like a great inconvenience when Jewel had received the request, She had brought it to her friend, her father's sworn Wizard with care.

And the full preparation that it would either be too difficult or more likely too bothersome for Tsulogothulan to perform the requested task no matter how much it helped Jewel secure her domain.

That seemed sensible to Jewel.

But instead of having to plead and bargain with the Wizard for this act of tedious sorcery Jewel had needed to do everything in her power to keep them from rushing off to complete it immediately.

"An Entire river! Nearly sixty miles of it!? To be dragged into slowed waters and stilled banks! Split out over the land?!"

That single eye had shined at the prospect. The reflection of storm clouds and flashing lightning roiling around a half obscured sun prominently in the massive orb.

Their voice was excited, delighted even, the tone was practically hungry.

Tsulogothulan, who Jewel had just about gotten used to over the years being at most bemused, was now fervent and wild. Like a child watching a plate heaping with a tower of sweet cakes and fresh berries brought right to their own seat.

There was a glittery shine of wetness to the normally mostly dry looking imitation of cloth and garments that made up the strands of black flesh of the majority of their body.

Jewel's tone took on one of great concern.

"Yes, the lord of the Ogien promises to rally the rest of Viznove to my banner and secure alliance and allegiance for this service to him."

The Weird's eye rolled in its socket, not looking all around in a wide circle, no it rolled, it spun like a cart wheel around in the pale fleshy socket on one side of that hatchet-like face. There was a chittering of happy frogs from late spring starting to hum around the bog wizard.

"Lady Jewel, my friend, the most wonderful subject of my study, You of course told him yes?! You haven't? This will not do! we must secure this task immediately! Oh you very silly girl, what possible world is there that anyone would turn down the deal offering an entire river to widen and spread into slowness!?"

Jewel had to hiss to stop the Weird as she felt the working to pull them down into the stones of the floor.

Undoubtedly to accost the poor lord immediately. Or possibly all the way to the Ogien to start work on what apparently was the absolute sweetest of honey for a Bog Wizard.

"Tsulogothulan! Please, I am glad that you will enjoy the service and that it is in fact something you relish to begin, but it is offered as a bargaining coin with the barony of Ogien. If he sees you being so over eager he may demand more from me!"

And that at last seemed to still Tsulogothulan. At least until their voice emerged in an even rounder and wetter tone.

Dripping with hope and chirping with the whistle of reeds.

"D-do you think he'd ask me to gentle the rest of the river?!"
Jewel stared at her friend.

The tone had a whispered fervent desire in a way Jewel had never even imagined a wizard let alone a Weird could ever sound like.

It was almost brittle.

Jewel felt bad about what she had to say.

"I will see what I can do, but I think he actually would prefer that those waters north of his immediate demesne are kept wilder and rougher so that the path of goods remains moving mostly south to at least his portion of Viznove."

Tsulogothulan's eye went from wide, pleading and shining with a ruinous storm of flashing lightning to a slowly narrowed glare, nearly a slit. And Jewel thought the clouds had calmed, but also rolled over entirely into an overcast gray in the light that she could see past those overlong lashes.

"Tell him something, like- ah! Tell him slowing the waters further upriver of the place he wants it calmest and most gentle will make the working more stable and permanent, that should work."

There was a sneaky tone there, like when Alexander was trying to get away with something foolish years past.

Jewel raised a brow.

"Is that actually true my friend?"

The wizard continued to glare, but not at Jewel, to the east. Voice burbling like a croaking frog.

"Far close enough to what most would believe. Almost everyone knows less than piss and shit about water and rivers. It's not entirely true but it's close enough to it for some fool lord that would ask for what he did."

Jewel nodded, this entire interaction not turning out at all how she had expected.

However, it was nice!

Honestly it was an entirely pleasant surprise amidst everything else, to find out what she thought would be in imposition was in fact by all appearances an incredible gift that delighted Tsulogothulan in a way literally nothing Jewel had ever seen before could.

"Well I will keep that in mind and bring it up with the Lord of Ogien this evening. And Tsulogothulan?"

Her friend's glare cleared away as that wide eye settled on Jewel. The sky reflected in them neither thunderstorms nor overcast, but a speckling of rain giving flurries and bright sun with a hint of rainbows.

"Hmm?"

Jewel smiled and dipped her head.

"Thank you for this, it will take such a weight from my mind."

The Weird scoffed and blinked hard and wet, eyelashes clashing in a rasping almost buzz and watery fluid squelching past the clenching lid.

It opened with a softness to the gaze and a sunset warm and pale yellow red.

"Oh not at all Jewel, This labor is going to be my absolute pleasure to perform. But I need to make some arrangements to prepare. Tell the lordling that it will begin before he departs and finish by this spring."

Jewel smiled, just utterly taken up with the strangeness of it all.

And then with that her friend was gone.

But at least there was not any dampness or other damages to the stone.

It had taken years to fully explain why that was a problem.

So another matter settled!

Things were turning out better at last!

Yet as she considered the future the Countess of Viznove sighed.

There was still so much to do.

You know, if there was ever anyone who could divert a river and not make a giant mess of it, its Tsulogothulan. Unless, of course, he wants a mess out of it. In which case that entire plot of land is now swamp.

I must admit I did not ever expect to see giddy childlike begging from tsulogothulan, it's like she was eating candy in front of a toddler and saying they could have some later.

9.7 New

Paul had come to welcome very few things since their arrival in his late Mother's Demesne. But having a dedicated dove master (with apprentices!) was one of them.

Someone to keep the birds organized and clear on which would go to what demesne.

Someone who could see to their care and feeding.

The rearing and training of the chicks.

That could see to the missives and simply warn him or even organize a caravan to exchange new birds when a particular flock of communication was dwindling?

That was something that Paul very much appreciated.

Also as much as his wife was a wonderful and kind creature he appreciated being able to eat something other than traveler stew with little more than salt, butter and garden herbs for seasons on end.

He could not say that the food in Valasect was not good. But the fact is his wife loved pottage perhaps a bit too much. It had not even quite been a full year with her and Paul was feeling like he was going to insist that they serve something that didn't come in a pot at least twice a season. Preferably every few days.

Sure the flavors were subtly different through the year.

But a man needed to enjoy his teeth while he had them!

This and getting used to sleeping in something more like a nest than a proper bed were the trials of a wyrm's husband.

Along with the work that he found himself having to take up. Namely his efforts as an amateur birdmaster. Paul was astounded by the near lack. It was only the foresight of Jewel's captain that there were even any birds at all in Valasect.

His new wife was unfathomably kind and gentle, incredibly perceptive to the subtlest nuances in people, devoured histories and books with an intensity only matched by her capacity to consume stew! But there were basic skills that Paul was often astounded by her inexperience in. Simple unawareness of the manner one established and maintained control over a realm that shocked Paul.

He had tutors make sure he understood the care, training and health of doves by the time he was ten!

But Jewel had been almost completely unaware of the specifics of it beyond the absolute minimum. That one had to keep them fed, housed and trained and that they had to be exchanged in pairs between those parties you wished to converse with.

If he had not met her Father and Mother he'd think they were simple minded provincials for all the things Jewel did not know.

And yet Jewel thought much the same of him.

She was fierce and noble about the role of a lord and their responsibility to their subjects. It was inspiring and beautiful in a way.

Still Paul was definitely going to see if the local bird keepers had any promising apprentices or journeymen available to take up the mantle in Valasect. After having even a half season of not needing to feed and clean the shit from the bird shack himself?

No Paul was not giving that up no matter how much his wife complained how soft he was.

There was admirable character and there was the smell of bird guano.

And although Jewel's love of baths meant it was never a terribly long lasting condition he was going to avoid it entirely if possible.

"Lord Count Nádasdy! A message just arrived from the capital. It has the High King's seal!"

Speaking of the apprentices of the Dove Master

He nodded to the boy (who was really hardly younger than Paul himself!) and took the tiny scroll, outer seal unbroken, then dismissed the boy (man?).

As the countess' husband it was acceptable for him to break this seal at least. The casing coming loose and the slender traveling scroll straining as he unfurled it between his fingers. Messages by bird always had a limit of weight.

As such the text of it was both diminutive and also of a scribed form that thankfully Jewel was fully educated in.

It had honestly surprised Paul the first time that his dragon wife had penned such tiny lines in ink upon a piece of vellum thinner across than the clawed fingers which wielded the quill. That she also did it with a speed and accuracy that put his own penmanship to shame?

Well there was a reason besides his wife's sheer size that he did not overly begrudge her position he was soft handed and unskilled.

It was hard to argue when you saw a wyrm handle a bone needle with that skill and speed.

Although his shock had gotten a surprised laugh the first time he saw it.

Jewel had been upset that night.

His wife's massive coils and terrifying and prominent loops of muscle running down a torso heavier than a plow team of oxen were also a factor in his respect of her opinion.

Just not the only one.

And after he apologized she did in fact know how to stitch and repair his clothes better than his seamstress Edita.

Thank the stars that the woman approved of Jewel and thought it was proper for a wife to mend her husband's clothing. The old bat was so vicious with her apprentices you could hear it down the halls.

Probably the spinning circles Jewel insisted on attending even now.

Paul double checked the markings on the dove scroll one third time and sighed. He could hold onto this until his wife finished with her hour of whatever women's work she was doing today.

They all needed their relaxation in these arduous days. Stars and divines know Paul wanted more moments of peace. But checking the angle of the sun through the windows of the office that had once been his Mother's there was only so long he could wait.

He glanced back down and sighed heavily.

Knuckling at his brow and then his tired eye sockets.

Jewel ensured he got enough sleep. But even so half a day of litigation and judgment, another two hours to go over missives, messages and confer with the judgements the rest of the adhoc justice council had made?

With the two meals that he attended with Jewel and then the hour they had to themselves in the evening?

Plus bathing, grooming, proper dressing for his station?

Paul, Count Consort of Valasect, Viznove and now Kaeketeh sighed and took his own few moments of peace. Simply reading over the same short line of abbreviated letters. Each marked as small and fine as they could be.

It was technically the usual Cantoran letters most older peasants could read.

Anyone trusted to work with merchants or sit on a council.

Any trade master could read.

But lords, messengers, criers and scribes had to be able to manage with the dense, near illegible scratches of dove scrolls.

It was a mark of pride to be able to convey entire speeches in as scant few letters as possible.

To know the meaning by the nature of the speaker.

However the meaning behind this scroll was not overly obfuscated or abbreviated.

It stood plainly and clearly for Paul.

The High King had called.

Jewel's presence was requested in the Capital of Cantor Reborn.

To supplicate and affirm the vows as her place in the Realm.

As Countess of Viznove.

Next Year, no later than debt's season.

Paul sighed.

He could hold onto the message for a bit longer.

Let Jewel have her peace for now.

9.8 New

Jewel returned her family's bow to her Father.

"I accept your fealty as your liege and Countess, to wield the lands of Rochford in my defense and the righteousness of my will. To strike down the enemies of Viznove as my bow."

Her Father, the man who always stood taller even when she had long since outgrown him, kneeled. For all his stature and height against other men Jewel looked down on him now, scarcely a foot taller than his peers.

And now so small indeed before his daughter.

"My Vassal, is there business or concerns you would bring to your liege and the seat of Viznove?"

Her father replied with a shake of the head. He was no longer the law over Jewel, he was no longer her liege. He was-

"Then Rise Johnathan of Rochford, as my vassal."

The name felt foreign and strange in her throat. It rolled unpleasantly past her teeth. It rang strange and hollow in her ears.

This was all as they had planned, As the final figure to reaffirm vassalage to Jewel, to set her father and family in a special position in comparison to the rest. To make a claim about her family and where their position would be going forward.

To bequeath the Rochford Family Bow and affirm their place in Viznove at a point of honor.

Each vassal's symbol of office was different.

Kliatbatrn was a gauntlet, an oath of protection and arms.

Rochford was a bow, even though they were in the heartland of the realm there had been a time the county was beset on all sides by enemies. Rochford had once been the blow from the sky of Viznove in the north.

Ogien was distinct from any of the other vassals for not having a storied artifact. Instead a wreath was woven of herbs and wood from a garden shrine at the very fire spring itself. Brought down from high in the hills that fed into the river it was named after. The acknowledgement and oath to Jewel was one that Ogien would be the flame of Viznove in the dark.

That oath was sealed by a further vow on the flame of the river and its spring and a burning of the wreath in sacrifice.

It had stirred very little fauxfire and Jewel had felt no sign of a god's attention.

But it was still the proper way.

Each of her subjects had their own token of authority which were secreted to Jewel after negotiations were complete.

Baubles and arms, relics and artifacts. It was all finally as she had hoped.

If earlier then Jewel had ever wished.

She was now a Countess over her vassals in truth.

But originally the plan had also been she would be announcing the delegating of Kaeketeh to another authority afterwards. Declaring her place in Valasect as her new home and seat of her governance. Ultimately begin the process of a clean break from all that Bathory had been and done.

Yet what would have been an act of triumph then would now be a sign of cowardice. An abandoning of a city in turmoil caused by her stumbling attempt at justice.

Jewel could still feel the words she had once wanted to say here.

Even though all she trusted had agreed she could not.

Still she wanted to leave this place.

The room was filled to capacity with barely room for the staff to move between tables such was the feast that was now being laid out before them all.

Every vassal of Viznove who could be there was in attendance.

For those that could not be present representatives in either family, spouses or esteemed positions in their household had arrived with each of the items of their office and position.

Her family and husband had a place of pride with her, at the head table. Although it had to be positioned further forward and the original elevating platform moved to accommodate. Jewel took some comfort in settling the majority of her scales on bare stone which had been covered for decades.

Smithson had also earned a place there, and then after her most trusted were the rest. Splayed out before her.

Jewel's vassals.

She looked at the finery swaddled nobles, at how small and petty they all were.

She knew they would judge her for the cowardice in her heart.

Jewel would deny them that satisfaction.

So their countess finally spoke the words that had been agreed on.

The ones she desperately wished not to say.

"I shall stay in Kaeketeh over this following winter and remain until after the hungry summer, to see that the peace in my city is restored. Come next year I invite all of you, my vassals, to attend a feast celebrating this triumph ten days into grain turn."

There was a murmuring from the various people that had bickered and bargained with Jewel over trade rights, owed tithes, specifics of inheritance or even the recognition and raising of their standing from mere single manors to multiple landed titles and responsibilities.

Thirty-Two mostly satisfied faces that all had the courtesy to not speak a word even in whisper within the same room as Jewel unless they wished her to know it.

It had been an exhausting work of seasons to receive and acknowledge all of them.

A task that Jewel's predecessor had not needed.

Jewel had checked the records.

Bathory had not been flooded by insufferable bargaining from each of them. And most of the matters were petty and frivolous things that honestly reminded Jewel much more of farmers arguing over a fence then men and women of noble responsibility!

It was still so unfair Jewel had to do this with so many at once!

The late countess had ruled Viznove in her place as wife countess of Viznove. First beside her husband and then later as the lady apparent herself. Bathory had never officially had to receive so many oaths one after another. Instead originally taking fealty from a far more manageable dozen liege lords that were now dead.

Not the Twenty-eight partitioned and parceled minor baronies that Viznove now contained.

Jewel was certain the awful woman had wanted it this way. A writhing nightmare of a court to organize and hear from at once. Or draw to attendance for any purpose at all.

They were halfway into the blood season now! Winter was rolling in! The countess had died in the hungry summer! Jewel had missed another Summer Harvest Festival for this! If any of them had refused to bow by even a day longer the wyrm was going to call down High King Mathias to intervene.

But it was done, she could still her anger.

"Now tonight honorable vassals, you are welcome to the food of my table and my hospitality. Let us be merry and may a good winter and safe travels find their way to all of you."

It was literally the least insulting way Jewel could have said that. Even with them owing her fealty Jewel wanted to see most of these cowards returned to their lands. Those that had the footmen to spare, the integrity to offer it and the nobility to not take it as a sign of weakness in Jewel to exploit could be counted on one of her fore claws.

But even in this too her words hurt.

Because her family needed to return to Rochford along with all the others she desperately wished to see away from her. Countess she might be but Father had responsibilities she would not keep him from. The Longest night needed the family Rochford there for the ritual against winter.

But as for the rest of the nobles who now owed their fealty to her? With their silver chains, gold thread and brightly dyed sleeves in house colors? With the faces that all strained to stay smiling and respectful to her. At the throats she could see tensing with the still unaccustomed need to refrain from whispering where Jewel could hear them.

Many here had mostly not attended court when Jewel did.

The only time she had seen most of them was at her wedding.

The flicker of scowls on their faces rippled among some as the dishes were brought forth. It was more ostentatious then she would have preferred but apparently the tastes of many of her vassals favored closer to Paul and his late mother.

They probably wanted saffron!

Jewel had arranged the entirety of the Kaeketeh store of the hated spice packaged up and sent north to Thurzó's manor. To supplement the supply for his son's trinket and as a boon between friends and fellow members of the High King's court.

But even without that spice there was plenty of splendor to the food!

The pigs were gifts from the butcher and sopper's guild.

And they had even included something Jewel found was a passable imitation of good Rochford Kroaska.

Not as rich as home, but it made the rest of the spices and seasoning bearable, the bewildering expense of the black pepper. Nearly an entire flock of game birds (that had to be caught by falcons!).

Breads that were no longer so sweet they affronted Jewel's sensibilities. And a fine collection of roast and stewed apples that Jewel was not sure why the Countess had never had at the feasts before. Honestly the fact that there were Orchards available by the river Vah seemed like a terrible oversight for all the years that she had to attend the Countess' over-flavored feasts.

It was perhaps not as dripping with seasoning and honey as they were all used too but it was hardly cheap fare!

Jewel had seen the accounts for expenditures to stock the Kaeketeh kitchens!

Viznove's coffers and ledgers were presently full. But that wealth was still distressingly finite, and even with how much less was being spent on spices the cost to feed all the nobility under her at once made it seem all the more easily exhausted.

Still many faces were smiling and complementing her falsely.

Many wore expressions of disappointment or judgment when they thought she was looking elsewhere.

In this the fact that Gem's own gaze could pass over them when she was turned away from her subjects helped immensely.

But no whispers were made.

In the room at least.

They spoke politely of nothing of import amongst one another in the courtroom of Viznove.

But many still whispered in the halls outside.

Paul rested a hand on her shoulder. And she did not even twitch, did not relax visibly at all. But the gesture was reciprocated by a gentle brush against his thigh with the tip of her tail.

The contact hidden behind the head table's cloth.

His voice whispered so softly that none but Jewel's own ears could hope to hear them.

"After tonight they will be gone, and things are starting to settle down. Winter will bring some peace and quiet. At least until the longest night."

The support was welcome but she could not afford to be overly open in her affection with her husband.

Jewel breathed deeply and slowly, masking the sigh by theatrically smelling her dinner.

She had not even managed to have more than a single winter together with her husband before they had to leave Valasect!

At Least it would only be for one more year.

Assuming of course that Jewel does not have something else crop up that demands she stay and manage the city.
I really doubt it will just be another year but who knows?

9.9 New

Magdalena worried that she had somehow made a wild prayer to the open night sky.

Wished too loudly and too clearly to the great dark and its twinkling stars. Let her yearning strike a spark and draw too much of the heaven's attention down upon her.

What other reason could there be that her fool of a husband came back to her changed by the sorcery of the dragon countess in a shape that made her weak in the knees? What possible reason but the cruel and dangerous generosity of the gods that they so gifted her with this beautiful and enchanting creature that also was already her sworn married husband?

Such were her thoughts as they stood in the riverside temple on the northwest bank of the gate town peninsula.

It had taken nearly all of Swine Turn to get this meeting. The delay was thanks to the shifting auspices of the river vah and the simple fact that in the chaos that followed the Countess Jewel's curse the priests and temples had been swamped in the people of Kaeketeh seeking intervention by the gods.

As they said:

"In times of trouble the temple's coffers fill and the sacrifices pile high."

But finally they were here.

Solid stone underfoot and a statue at every pillar for each of the most common gods of the River Vah, Kaeketeh and a few minor idols and shrines for the farther ranging divinities of Viznove.

Magdalena did not know when the riverside temple was built, its foundations went deep into the river and it shot free of the shore like a jetty. But instead of mooring fishing boats or barges there were just the sheer walls of stone rising up into the sides of the temple proper itself.

Inside the space was open and airy, even well into autumn. The breeze carried away the smoke of a dozen braziers up and out, each burning the offerings of a Priest working with people much like Havel and her.

There were even two waifs off on their own whispering fervently to the apparition of smoke in their own little alcove of the Temple.

The priests all wore plain brown robes, hoods pulled up to help obscure their faces from easy scrutiny under the noon light from the windows. The flicker of the coals in their brazier where the offering of fish bones and river snails hissed and spat.

Their own god minder seemed younger given what was visible of his face when the fire rose higher.

Was the temple so overburdened that apprentices needed to call to the heavens?

Young or not his work seemed to be proper to Magdalena's inexpert eye.

The fire danced and shined and wobbled in colors more like a river than the flame.

The cry of the shorebirds singing amidst the sparks.

And just the slightest trembling hint of their marriage's patron god echoed in the air.

She tried not to put too much attention on the fire. Tried not to listen hard enough so she would hear the god's words. It felt more important now then all the lectures as a child. Don't call on the gods by accident, let the priests take the risk.

Let the robed ones suffer the burden of the divine.

More than ever before in her life she tried to avoid notice from the heavens.

Magdalena was so sure that her desires had already somehow slipped despite all the time in this very temple to learn precisely how not to let loose even a hint of wild prayer.

Had she cursed an honest if foolish man with her negligence? Harmed one who she didn't particularly mind as a companion but didn't stir her longing. Not like the girls that worked the closed off rooms by the docks.

Poor fool, besotted, idiot of a man Havel deserved so much better than her. They had been fine enough friends, met when she was doing something incredibly foolish. Magdalena had been out later at night then her parents could stand given it was Kaeketeh.

And there she had run across the boy who she only later learned was the son of a gong farmer.

They had gotten along alright?

He'd courted her and she'd found it nice to talk to him.

And well you had to have a husband eventually. Her parents were going to marry her off to someone!

So why not him?

Magdalena rather liked Havel in most ways. He was polite, he treated her like a queen. He worked hard as two men combined. And he was an apprentice with the Countess' Men! A girl in Kaeketeh dreamed of the safety that being a Gaurdswife assured.

Guardswives did not disappear in the night. Even though Magdalena had since learned from Havel that hardly happened as often as the rumors sounded like.

Guardswives were also never taken for questioning and sometimes lost.

Guardswives did not end up as bloated corpses downriver.

Not without consequences no one else could afford.

Havel was good for Magdalena. She could have borne one, maybe two children with him as a duty. She could have maybe saved enough silver to seek more feminine company for her own needs after.

They said Guardswives even got the services of the Countess' Wizard to ease the risk of birth. Sorcery assuring that not a single woman in the keep or spouse of the staff had ever died bringing a babe into the world. She could have suffered worse than Havel for that safety alone.

Just for that assurance against the death that had claimed her older sister?

She'd have suffered worse than Havel.

But there had never been anything to suffer from him.

To be a Gaurdswife she could have done so much worse than simple, adoring Havel.

A few uncomfortable nights a season til she was with child was a duty she could stand to carry for the man and all he gave her.

But now it was like a dream come true.

A suspiciously granted wish that stank of all the dire warnings of divine intervention that the temple spoke of and warned about every twelve days.

Havel was now everything that filled her with desire and more than she had dreamed! He was adorable and slight, but not so thin or small as to be mistaken for a child. He was pert where she always appreciated it.

He was soft where she wanted to squeeze and cuddle.

He was-

So nervous beside her, face a war of hope and concern and fear. Eyes welling with tears that he could not help but shed. So different from how stone faced he used to be and yet undeniably the same simple minded boy she ran across that night on the street.

It was just unfair!

Havel was now perfect for Magdalena! And it was so obviously a torment for the man!

She could not find it in herself to hope that her bluff about the gods would not be true. Magdalena wanted to spend the rest of her life with Havel now! He was beautiful! He was kind, he was everything she wanted and had resigned herself to never have.

Everything she had given up when she finally agreed with her parents they would make a good match.

Out of obligation for her family.

Out of her responsibility.

Out of fear.

Magdalena had given up so much and then out of the blue her fool husband found a way to be 'accursed' into the most perfectly astonishing creature of her every desire?!

This was not fair!

To her or Havel! Really, it was the worst for him!

She could not even begin to pretend that open, guileless face was not suffering.

But still!

The fire dipped low, the sound of water receding off the shore. Their little corner grew quiet but for the murmuring and divine influence drifting through the open hall of the temple from the other priests and their clients.

Magdalena could not help how she clasped her hand with Havel's.

Havel was trembling, eyes a medley of hope and terror that simply could not keep itself hidden.

At last the priest nodded and signed with his left hand that he had finished the communion with their god.

There was no risk of interrupting his work.

"I have conferred with Stribog, and the word is clear, your vows still hold you both in union under his gaze."

Relief flooded her like a torrent.

She did not even realize what she was doing until after she had grabbed Havel up around his middle, spun him in a circle and then kissed him more passionately than she ever had in their two years of marriage! Even at their wedding she'd been more chaste than this!

He didn't struggle, in fact it took only a moment before his shocked posture turned to squeezing her tight and oh so much stronger than that slight frame suggested. That was one of the few things Magdalena had ever really liked about her husband. In the dark she could forget he was a man and he could grasp her and squeeze her oh so tightly.

But now feeling her husband's changed form pressed against her, she did not need the dark to hide what he was.

She loved every part of him!

Magdalena's heart fluttered.

The priest had to clear his throat twice before she remembered to pull apart from her husband.

Havel's beautiful, perfect face was awash in delight, joy and obvious longing in a way that Magdalena could never have been sure of before. And that look in his eyes no longer made part of her squirm to move away and recoil.

The priest laughed lightly, his tone lifted. She suspected it was good to see a happy couple with joyous news amidst the labors of the temple of late. Magdalena could see in a glance much more somber or angry faces at the braziers around them. It made her heart clench in guilt that so many suffered while she had this spark of joy. There were obviously sparse good tidings from the gods this season.

Their assigned priest finally spoke after they stopped mashing one another's lips together.

"Yes, I can see you are both relieved, but there is an important matter regarding those vows given the nature of your husband's condition."

There it was, no gift from the gods was free. Every sermon and every story told in the spinning circles was clear on this.

Nothing was ever simply fine. Especially not for Magdalena.

And here came the cost and the hook that would spoil the perfectly terrible wish Magdalena had somehow carelessly let slip free into the heavens.

More than poor Havel was already paying.

"Your vows were explicit and clear and Stribog still acknowledges them. He owes you children of your marriage, and I'm afraid that given both of you are now women-"

Magdalena barked in laughter at the fool man's face. She couldn't help it, he was worried about that?!

"Oh, that's not a problem, priest. We can find a way that lets Stribog fulfill his vow!"

Her fool husband though proved that for however perfect he might look he still was himself underneath all the pert features and adorable face.

"Lenka?! How is that not a problem?! Vows unfulfilled by a god are serious! How is Stribog going to satisfy our vow if we are both women!?"

Magdalena laughed and ruffled her now shorter husband's wonderfully motley hair.

"My dear Havel, we've been given twice the opportunity to make them! It will be fine!"

The way that the realization swam over and practically burst in the most profound and expressive canvas of fear, shock, wonder and burgeoning if slightly smothered curiosity over her husband's new face was possibly the second most delightful thing Magdalena had seen this season.

"Lenka?!"

9.i New

9.i

In addition to the recognizing of the weather by what was said about the birds, it is necessary for the shepherd to know the forewarnings by certain signs from animals.

First the sheep: Each shepherd or herdsman watching over a flock of sheep should have a good-hearted and devoted wether to whom he gives some of his bread.

This wether through gentle handling and to be more distinguishable from the others, carries round its neck a small bell of brass or some other metal. This is why in Brie he is called a sonnaillier and in other regions a clocheman.

This wether by nature recognizes predictions or signs of fair weather or rain: when it should be fine, he rises first and goes first to the stable door to go out to pasture. When it is going to rain and be foul, he keeps behind the others and shows by his demeanor that he has no wish to go outside.

In the evening when he comes into the stable and it is going to be cold, he bristles his wool and shakes so that the sound of his bell can be clearly heard.

Some say that when the cat lifts its face and washes its feet with its tongue, if it puts its foot over its ear, this signifies rain. However there is no need to speak of such a nasty beast in this part, for there are many others from whom enlightenment can be had.

-Old Jean of Brie, a Shepherd of the Free Men's Lands.

9.ii New

9.ii

And then the terrible bog witch laughed at Gretta.

"If you can pick from these frogs the one that is your brother, then you can both return home. But if you choose wrong I will keep your brother with me in my cold awful waters forever!"

But Gretta was not bowed, for from her trials she had learned much and she looked onto the pond full of croaking frogs before she spotted the one.

The light of her brother's eyes and the warmth of his love.

She reached out to him and he jumped into her hands and she called out to the bog witch.

"This one! This one is Hansa!"

And then the cruel, twisted witch, with hair black as mud and skin pale as a bone snarled and gnashed her teeth like bark. And that was when Gretta knew she had won.

"You're sure that's your brother that you would take with you?"

But Gretta was not afraid, for she knew that the witch and her had made a pact by magic and it could not be overturned.

"This is my brother! This is Hansa!"

And so the witch howled and there was a storm and a tumult.

But when the sky cleared and the waters receded she was holding Hansa.

And they went home to their father and found their wicked mother had died in their absence and both Hansa and Gretta would grow up and marry and have many children after.

-A tale of the woods bordering the Uloghai.

9.iii New

9.iii

I know I am not even yet four decades into my workings of sorcery but can anyone explain this to me?

Why do they no longer pick the right one?

Lost brothers, sons, daughters, sisters, lovers, fathers and mothers.

All have gone into my waters and fallen to the dangers that dwell there.

Sicknesses, venomous creatures, tripping on soggy branches.

One of them this year even drowned!

Who goes into a bog that cannot swim?!

As the pact I made to their grandfathers and grandmothers, I take up each I can and shelter them in the grotto with the frogs.

I Make them whole and healthy of what tragedies fell them and keep them to wait for their loved ones.

As agreed one who is missing is taken home and as that insufferable woman insisted thirty years ago it is always by their choice whom is returned.

But it's been years since any of them have picked the one they say they seek.

I do my best, I ask them if they are certain. They always say they are. But this last child didn't even pick a frog that had ever been human at all when she came looking for her brother!

Do they really care so little for their loved ones?

I remember caring about the difference.

Surely I remember that right?

Or is this like when the crocodile scales upset everyone at the market?

Have I just forgotten and they actually don't want their loved ones back?

Did someone make a deal to claim and care for those left in my care after a time?

Can one of my elders in sorcery help explain this to me?

I worry I am losing touch.

The frog seemed happy if confused to have a human body, sister and father. I'm sure he will enjoy cutting wood as much as he did catching flies.

I made sure to put the words as his sister knew them into his head and what skills I knew he would need.

And the brother seems eager to make tadpoles with the lost fisherman's wife.

Maybe this is fine?

They all seem happy with the results, I've even checked in afterwards to be sure before and no one complains about more than my own presence.

No complaints.

But does that make it right?

-Missive of Tsulogothulan the Black to the Circles of Wizardry.

Hunh.
Interesting to put Tsu's tale next to the 'fairy tale' telling and that next to Havel and his wife…
As an odd inversion a part of me wondered at the idea of a woman willingly bearing the mein of a waif…

...Tsulogothulan can revive people who die as frogs, and then turn frogs into human beings? Is this frog-necromancy something limited to the swamp? Can he create an army of normal frogs turned into men? You'd still need to feed them, but that'd do wonders for force regeneration.

Back