RP Player Recruitment Thread

I could see diceless being good if you're really solid about the scope of your RP, but just about anything I do ends up needing a map and various supplemental materials anyway. Out of the games Fallout New Vegas is pretty nice since you can lift IRL maps as source materials.

Post-apoc stuff tends to get equipment oriented very very fast in my experience. Like I recently purchased the Roadside Picnic Tabletop sourcebook, and it's got this weird combination of a lot of rules to remember for purchasing equipment (down to how much money you spend in character creation), defining abilities, weaknesses, but nothing really for dice rolling / conflict resolution. It would work okay in person I think, since it's really more of a puzzle / critical thinking game ("How do I get through this death-anomaly given my character?") but it did point out challenges that post-apoc / survival kinda plays present.

I think Fallout in particular lends to more stat-tracking and a definite inventory, so most people go for D20, GURPS or something in that vein. You'd probably have huge character sheets. And trying to get granular mechanics for ghoulification, super mutant mutation... yeaaah.

I actually think Fate would be really good for it (but obvs biased given my background) because FO is a combination of sorta-realistic post-post apoc and really pulpy supermutants and energy weapons. The Aspect system lends to keeping equipment tracking from spiraling hopelessly out of control, too, and stunts play to the unique brand of crazy it offers. I'd probably reboot my FONV campaign in Fate if I had time and energy for it.

I m unfortunately a bit thin on what systems I have used though I want to avoid d20 systems for Fallout because I want to retain that Fallout feel so would prefer a d100 system. My first thought is 40k RPG as a base since it has that initial lethality until you get power armor, is gear based, uses skills and perks, uses a d100, and I think I could get the right feel for Fallout from it.

I think Fallout in particular lends to more stat-tracking and a definite inventory, so most people go for D20, GURPS or something in that vein.
Funny story, the people behind Fallout approached SJG about using GURPS as the engine for the first Fallout game. Things didn't quite work out, though.
My first thought is 40k RPG as a base
Pretty sure you don't actually want to do that. The 40k RPGs have enormous holes, and I hate how they use d100 and low stats to the point where "Average task" is something like a +20 bonus.

You want crunchy and gritty, use GURPS. You want people knowing down houses with their pistols from five hundred meters (no joke, I actually played a character who could do this without spending Fate), play a 40k game.

That is a pretty fun looking list of games there, I am uncertain which I would like more. Though the Fallout one might edge things out a bit, and the FFG Star Wars would be in the later. That game is just really stingy on character creation, especially with how easy failure is with the other dice. Though I would be willing to help out with other things.

I play regularly in a Shadowrun game each week and run a Rogue Trader game myself so might be able to help in that respect.

With Shadowrun there are a few things that need a homebrew like the drug rules and RT might need a few homebrew things as well. In particular Chrome Flesh is missing a chunk of rules for custom drugs. Unfortunately the Fallout idea has the least chance of going forward barring an overwhelming response from people wanting to do that.

Funny story, the people behind Fallout approached SJG about using GURPS as the engine for the first Fallout game. Things didn't quite work out, though.

Pretty sure you don't actually want to do that. The 40k RPGs have enormous holes, and I hate how they use d100 and low stats to the point where "Average task" is something like a +20 bonus.

You want crunchy and gritty, use GURPS. You want people knowing down houses with their pistols from five hundred meters (no joke, I actually played a character who could do this without spending Fate), play a 40k game.

40k RPG has some holes but I have not had any particularly large problems and it is certainly better than the constant stream of D&D 3.X hacks. Having a d100 system means being able to port in a lot of stuff from the games directly as well.

I don't know, I think Dark Heresy could work alright for a Fallout game. it already has some stats for some of the fancy guns in there, and it would not be too much to switch some of the stats about to more thematic names. Though you could also go for Basic Role Playing/Call of Cthulhu for that which might be a little closer, but can be a little more fudgy.

@Conundrum @Aliexster

If 40K makes you somewhat useless until you get power armor, that'd be a similar situation to finding high-level gear early in FO3 or FONV, where saving enough caps to fully repair a handful of nice items makes the rest of the game a cakewalk. It's a bit of a problem related to the genre; in post-apoc or survival by nature weighs equipment acquisition very very heavily. Really depends what you personally want to be the focus.

Speaking of porting things, I'd probably want to find a way to incorporate "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." into a Fallout game too.

@Conundrum @Aliexster

If 40K makes you somewhat useless until you get power armor, that'd be a similar situation to finding high-level gear early in FO3 or FONV, where saving enough caps to fully repair a handful of nice items makes the rest of the game a cakewalk. It's a bit of a problem related to the genre; in post-apoc or survival by nature weighs equipment acquisition very very heavily. Really depends what you personally want to be the focus.

Speaking of porting things, I'd probably want to find a way to incorporate "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." into a Fallout game too.

40k stats are

Weapon Skill
Ballistic Skill
Strength
Toughness
Agility
Intelligence
Perception
Willpower
Fellowship
(varies by system, usually like Fate)

Fallout SPECIAL is:

Strength
Perception
Endurance (replaces toughness)
Charisma (replaces fellowship)
Intelligence
Agility
Luck (replaces fate and probably more)

That leaves WS, BS, and WP cut out moving to SPECIAL but I feel that can work since psyker stuff is pulled out and in Fallout agility is used for what BS and WS usually do. Naturally some work would still need to be done beyond this but it feels like a good start.

40k stats are

Weapon Skill
Ballistic Skill
Strength
Toughness
Agility
Intelligence
Perception
Willpower
Fellowship
(varies by system, usually like Fate)

Fallout SPECIAL is:

Strength
Perception
Endurance (replaces toughness)
Charisma (replaces fellowship)
Intelligence
Agility
Luck (replaces fate and probably more)

That leaves WS, BS, and WP cut out moving to SPECIAL but I feel that can work since psyker stuff is pulled out and in Fallout agility is used for what BS and WS usually do. Naturally some work would still need to be done beyond this but it feels like a good start.
Well, Fallout has S.P.E.C.I.A.L., but it also has an entire separate skill list that you also have a pool of points to spend on (from the GECK info site):

• Barter
  • BigGuns (Fallout 3)
  • EnergyWeapons
  • Explosives
  • Guns (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Lockpick
  • Medicine
  • MeleeWeapons
  • Repair
  • Science
  • SmallGuns (Fallout 3)
  • Sneak
  • Speech
  • Survival (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Throwing (Fallout 3, unused)
  • Unarmed
They're effected by your SPECIAL stats too. So it's a bit unlike Fate (and apparently 40K) in that aptitudes are separate, but related to the skills to. Do you want to have separate skills and character stats or a combined list like Fate?

Well, Fallout has S.P.E.C.I.A.L., but it also has an entire separate skill list that you also have a pool of points to spend on (from the GECK info site):

• Barter
  • BigGuns (Fallout 3)
  • EnergyWeapons
  • Explosives
  • Guns (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Lockpick
  • Medicine
  • MeleeWeapons
  • Repair
  • Science
  • SmallGuns (Fallout 3)
  • Sneak
  • Speech
  • Survival (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Throwing (Fallout 3, unused)
  • Unarmed
They're effected by your SPECIAL stats too. So it's a bit unlike Fate (and apparently 40K) in that aptitudes are separate, but related to the skills to. Do you want to have separate skills and character stats or a combined list like Fate?

Well in 40k when you roll you combine your skill and your stat then try to roll under that which seems like it would function similar to how Fallout does it.

This is all very interresting and all that, but I'm quite certain that this is not the thread for it. Kindly start a new thread to discuss it somewhere else (so that all of us subscribing to this thread won't get continous notifications). Thanks.

OOC - Reincarnation Wars!

Reincarnation Wars.
You play as famous heroes and villains from the multiverse in the form of their current life. These are your past lives such as Wolverine, Batman, etcetera.

Zailing the Wine Dark Zee

Adventures in the Neath. Looking for 3-4 players to crew a small vessel and set out upon the Stygian Unterzee. Uses Fate Core, and we'll be running a phase trio to get the crew integrated once candidates are selected. From there I hope to play storyteller to your intrepid voyagers as they seek, trade, fight or explore.

OOC Thread: Conquer The Posleen! An SV Council Game.

It's another bored ROB and a jaunt into the Legacy of Aldenata, specifically the Posleen War period. Can a council of plucky SV self-inserts defeat the invading alien lizard centaurs and lead a counter-crusade to destroy them once and for all? Will the Darhel try to sabotage everything? And what sort of advantages will ROB provide?

And most importantly, how many people will suddenly start getting multiple Nat 100's because that's somehow a thing in every council game I run?

Since I screwed up my first go at an Alien Defence RP, here's my second attempt at a cyberpunk XCOM-style alien invasion with the players now able to be human, AI, or an human-alien hybrid working for the OMEGA alien defence group.

Cults, megacorporations, and aliens, can SV save the planet from the business end of an anal probe?

You know those Horror movies where a group of people find themselves in an obvious haunted location and their being stalked by a horrible monster that wants to kill them all?

Yeah, that's your life now.

Lost Tapes (no not the tv show): where R.O.B. decides he wants his new playthings to suffer through being apart of a horror movie, and makes them record it so he can watch it all when it's over. Needs six players.

You know those Horror movies where a group of people find themselves in an obvious haunted location and their being stalked by a horrible monster that wants to kill them all?

Yeah, that's your life now.

Lost Tapes (no not the tv show): where R.O.B. decides he wants his new playthings to suffer through being apart of a horror movie, and makes them record it so he can watch it all when it's over. Needs six players.

*gets in car*
*drives the fuck away*

Back